AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.drivl.com/posts/view/738

PantherRob82
March 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM
hilarious

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
This is hilarious. Fortunately, only two FCS mascots (one soon to be an FBS mascot) made the list — Big Red of WKU (who I actually like, particularly from the Sports Center commercials. Also, it was a hoot, seeing Big Red being tossed in the air by students after WKU's I-AA championship victory in 2002) and the FAMU Rattlesnake.

Dartmouth's unofficial Keggy the Keg was honorable mention.

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I was surprised Akron wasn't on there, what the heck is a Zip anywho?

polyfanman
March 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
thats some good stuff!

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Too bad that Meackie, the MEAC's one-time, short-lived mascot, didn't make the honorable mention list. Anybody (Help, Ralph) got a picture of Meackie that they can post?

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
http://www.onnidan.com/05-06/images/meac_mascot.jpg

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Someone who has Yosef as a mascot is making fun of Akron's Zip? I'm surprised Yosef wasn't on there, right next to WuShock, the Wichita State Wheatshocker mascot. If they still had the old Yosef costume from a few years back, he would have made it for sure. That Yosef looked like he had a skin disease.
:D :) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xsmiley_wix

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Someone who has Yosef as a mascot is making fun of Akron's Zip? I'm surprised Yosef wasn't on there, right next to WuShock, the Wichita State Wheatshocker mascot. If they still had the old Yosef costume from a few years back, he would have made it for sure. That Yosef looked like he had a skin disease.
:D :) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xrolleyesx xcoolx :p ;) xsmiley_wix

Yeah, well, he looks like a "Mountaineer." His name may be dumb, but atleast he looks and represents what the mascot is. How else would you represent a Mountaineer? Does anyone even know what a Zip is?

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.onnidan.com/05-06/images/meac_mascot.jpg
Thanks for the quick response to get Meackie up there. I nearly attended the media day where Meackie was introduced (had to back out at the last minute). Word was that Meackie frightened children at his grand opening. He was very quickly retired. What an embarrassment for the conference.

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response to get Meackie up there. I nearly attended the media day where Meackie was introduced (had to back out at the last minute). Word was that Meackie frightened children at his grand opening. He was very quickly retired. What an embarrassment for the conference.

I can't believe anyone actually thought this was a good idea

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah, well, he looks like a "Mountaineer." His name may be dumb, but atleast he looks and represents what the mascot is. How else would you represent a Mountaineer? Does anyone even know what a Zip is?
West Virginia has a student that dresses like a Mountainman, complete with an old flintlock rifle that he used to fire off even in the basketball arena (my alma mater, Fresno State, played West Virginia in the second round of the 1982 NCAA basketball tournament — that guy was a hoot).

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:24 AM
West Virginia has a student that dresses like a Mountainman, complete with an old flintlock rifle that he used to fire off even in the basketball arena (my alma mater, Fresno State, played West Virginia in the second round of the 1982 NCAA basketball tournament — that guy was a hoot).

Yeah, I'm not a real big fan of "people" mascots

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not a real big fan of "people" mascots
A people mascot would be 100% better than that goofy Commodore, the George Washington mascot or some of those other ones. The Demon Deacon is absolutely ridiculous, but what else would you expect from Wake Forest?

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
A people mascot would be 100% better than that goofy Commodore, the George Washington mascot or some of those other ones. The Demon Deacon is absolutely ridiculous, but what else would you expect from Wake Forest?

They have book smarts, no common sense

HiHiYikas
March 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Interesting list, interesting points of view. He makes sense a little more than 50% of the time.

This Yosef would have been on the list for sure.
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/docs/docDownload.aspx?guid=50EACE51-5CC5-4B58-83F8-7FACE24B282A&webtag=appstate
Every Mountaineer fan in the universe is glad this guy is locked away forever. I only wish they'd have changed the head and shirt, and kept the basic frame for the current Yosef, whose torso is basically a shapeless tube of flannel-wrapped foam.

JaxSinfonian
March 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone else notice the irony of Wichita State's mascot posing with a football? Wassup widdat?

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Anyone else notice the irony of Wichita State's mascot posing with a football? Wassup widdat?

Old picture maybe??

The Gadfly
March 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Look at my signature . . . I mean COME ON!? He couldn't pick on the french protein shake drinkin' aqua rooster?

I haven't laughed that long in a while.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Old picture maybe??
Or maybe a new picture ... hint, hint. Maybe they are trying to tell us something.

AppGuy04
March 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Or maybe a new picture ... hint, hint. Maybe they are trying to tell us something.

Lets hope so

PantherRob82
March 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Old picture maybe??

I'm pretty sure that's their new mascot.

Eyes of Old Main
March 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM
There are definitely some bad mascots in that list.

No offense to the WKU folks, but I was glad to see their blood clot of a mascot on the list. I never thought of the Kool-Aid man similarity, I've always compared Big Red to Grimace from McDonald's.

But, Keggy the Keg from Dartmouth is pretty cool.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
There are definitely some bad mascots in that list.

No offense to the WKU folks, but I was glad to see their blood clot of a mascot on the list. I never thought of the Kool-Aid man similarity, I've always compared Big Red to Grimace from McDonald's.

But, Keggy the Keg from Dartmouth is pretty cool.
Does anyone know if Keggy is fully operational?
:D :) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xrolleyesx xcoolx :p xsmiley_wix :o

If we had any Dartmouth posters around here on any regular basis, maybe we could ask them.

Go...gate
March 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know if Keggy is fully operational?
:D :) xrotatehx xlolx xnodx xrolleyesx xcoolx :p xsmiley_wix :o

If we had any Dartmouth posters around here on any regular basis, maybe we could ask them.

I think Keggy is among the Top 20 mascots!!

But where is the Colgate Raider in the Bottom 10? Bring back the maroon blob!!!

GeauxColonels
March 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
This is hilarious. Fortunately, only two FCS mascots (one soon to be an FBS mascot) made the list — Big Red of WKU (who I actually like, particularly from the Sports Center commercials. Also, it was a hoot, seeing Big Red being tossed in the air by students after WKU's I-AA championship victory in 2002) and the FAMU Rattlesnake.

Dartmouth's unofficial Keggy the Keg was honorable mention.
Actually, there were three - you missed Southern Illinois @ #17.

Personally, I think his critiques of the "human" mascots are a little harsh because they don't look like REAL humans...but that's the point of a mascot. It's a cartoonish depiction usually resembling a school's nickname. the ones I think that are really awful are the abstract ones - or the ones that just look plain dumb like Syracuse, WKU, Ohio State, Xavier, Tulsa, George Mason and DEFINITELY Stanford.

The only other complaint I have about the blog is that he is basing some of the entries on just one picture of the mascot! The picture of Tulane's mascot Riptide (#20) isn't the best one. But the "huge gonad" which he's dropping is his TAIL! And the only two other things he said were due to the fact that he's holding a dog on a leash in the picture.

Zoo
March 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
LMAO, alot of that was funny, and it all made sense which was the wierd part. xconfusedx xlolx

th0m
March 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Pretty sure a Zip is supposed to be a kangaroo. One of their logo's confirms this:

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/images/10800/footer_logo.gif

Don't ask me what a kangaroo would be doing in Ohio....

CCU97
March 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Look at my signature . . . I mean COME ON!? He couldn't pick on the french protein shake drinkin' aqua rooster?

I haven't laughed that long in a while.

Gadfly, I agree...I like out mascot but can't believe he didn't make fun of a teal chicken with ballz on his chin....

rmutv
March 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
The Robert Morris Colonial:

http://photos-111.ak.facebook.com/ip006/v44/109/76/64700069/n64700069_30152111_2152.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Pretty sure a Zip is supposed to be a kangaroo. One of their logo's confirms this:

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/images/10800/footer_logo.gif

Don't ask me what a kangaroo would be doing in Ohio....
The VMI Keydets have a Kangaroo as their mascot, too. At times, the basketball team has been called the Running Roos.

pcguy09
March 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
thats weird about akron, because onthe ncaa video games and stuff.. zip is created to look like an ant eater creature

Eyes of Old Main
March 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
The VMI Keydets have a Kangaroo as their mascot, too. At times, the basketball team has been called the Running Roos.

If that's so, maybe they could get a sponsorship to wear thos old 80's tennis shows called Kangaroos. Maybe if they'd have explored that angle, they wouldn't have had to leave to SoCon because they couldn't compete.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Personally, I think his critiques of the "human" mascots are a little harsh because they don't look like REAL humans...but that's the point of a mascot. It's a cartoonish depiction usually resembling a school's nickname. the ones I think that are really awful are the abstract ones - or the ones that just look plain dumb like Syracuse, WKU, Ohio State, Xavier, Tulsa, George Mason and DEFINITELY Stanford.

The only other complaint I have about the blog is that he is basing some of the entries on just one picture of the mascot! The picture of Tulane's mascot Riptide (#20) isn't the best one. But the "huge gonad" which he's dropping is his TAIL! And the only two other things he said were due to the fact that he's holding a dog on a leash in the picture.
Yeah, I missed SIU. My daughters and I thought the Saluki mascots looked like refugees from the old Banana Splits TV show.

TheValleyRaider
March 17th, 2007, 10:41 PM
The Robert Morris Colonial:

http://photos-111.ak.facebook.com/ip006/v44/109/76/64700069/n64700069_30152111_2152.jpg

What are your thoughts?

He looks strangely familiar...

http://www.masslive.com/images/weblogs/zoo/minuteman1.jpg

http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/images/gen/2006/8/24/Mascot%20004.JPG

gr8ness97
March 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
That comment he made about WKU was HILARIOUS!!

lol looks like kool-aid decided to go sugar free and dropped 40 pounds

BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

rmutv
March 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM
The RMU Colonials also bears a resemblance to:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/fm2067_b~Family-Guy-Pawtucket-Pat-Posters.jpg

or

http://www.neonsign.com/eng_neonsigns/images/samadamspatriotneon.jpg

JoltinJoe
March 18th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Rhody the Ram has got to rank among the worst. Honestly, how can you make a Ram look so sorry?

http://advance.uri.edu/photoalbums/rhody/resources/RhodyOutside.jpg

HiHiYikas
March 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Rhody the Ram has got to rank among the worst. Honestly, how can you make a Ram look so sorry?
Same problem with VCU's Rodney the Ram. Allow me to recreate the conversation that led to his development:

Mascot guy - Hello, can I help you?

VCU guy - Yeah, we need a ram mascot, but we really can't afford anything good.

Mascot guy - Well you're in luck. Somebody just returned a polar bear costume because we messed it up pretty badly. It's kind of a cross between a bear and a bulldog.

VCU guy - I dunno, are you sure that'll work? I mean, a polar bear looks nothing like a ram...

Mascot guy - Nah, it'll be fine, we'll just throw some horns on its head. Seriously, nobody will notice.

http://www.vcuramsclub.com/rodney.jpg

And, while we're on the topic of "worst colege" stuff, Tennesee Volunteer peach is the absolute worst thing about college sports.

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Campbell is adding a football team, aren't they?

Nothing beats Gaylord the Camel!

http://www.drivl.com/img/articles/campbellugaylord.jpg

PSUVikings
March 18th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I know someone in California is named the Banana Slugs

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I know someone in California is named the Banana Slugs

At the bottom of the page...

http://www.drivl.com/img/articles/ucsc_mascot.jpg

UC-Santa Cruz...

PSUVikings
March 18th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ahh that be them......I just got a shiver down my spine....

JoltinJoe
March 19th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Same problem with VCU's Rodney the Ram. Allow me to recreate the conversation that led to his development:

Mascot guy - Hello, can I help you?

VCU guy - Yeah, we need a ram mascot, but we really can't afford anything good.

Mascot guy - Well you're in luck. Somebody just returned a polar bear costume because we messed it up pretty badly. It's kind of a cross between a bear and a bulldog.

VCU guy - I dunno, are you sure that'll work? I mean, a polar bear looks nothing like a ram...

Mascot guy - Nah, it'll be fine, we'll just throw some horns on its head. Seriously, nobody will notice.

http://www.vcuramsclub.com/rodney.jpg

And, while we're on the topic of "worst colege" stuff, Tennesee Volunteer peach is the absolute worst thing about college sports.

Wow, that's even worse than Rhody the Ram.

Rodney the Ram looks like Huckleberry Hound with horns attached.

http://www.southernct.edu/programs/summertech/sutech05/huckle/images/huckleberry2.jpg

Cobblestone
March 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Rhody's alright, he just isn't as mean looking as the Fordham Ram, then again Kingston, RI isn't as rough as the Bronx. Besides, our Ramettes make up for Rhody's lack of appeal.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/uri/graphics/Ramettes-06-07-420.jpg

Husky Alum
March 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Ramettes? I'm sure there's an off color joke in there, but i'm not touching it.

Cobblestone
March 19th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Ramettes? I'm sure there's an off color joke in there, but i'm not touching it.

No joke of any kind. That is the name of our dance team. My personal favorite is the one in the second row on the far left.

HensRock
March 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I counted 5 FCS Mascots:
FAMU
Campbell
SIU
WKU
Harvard

PSUVikings
March 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
college mascots can get bad but High School is the worst by far

gr8ness97
March 19th, 2007, 09:10 AM
That FAMU mascot is horrible...

Blue Hen Nation
March 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, I thought for sure my alma mater's mascot would be listed.

jessesd
March 19th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Rhody's alright, he just isn't as mean looking as the Fordham Ram, then again Kingston, RI isn't as rough as the Bronx. Besides, our Ramettes make up for Rhody's lack of appeal.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/uri/graphics/Ramettes-06-07-420.jpg

Girls with big bellies should never wear "belly shirts". (look at the front row blond) xnonox xrotatehx xlolx

jessesd
March 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
The gators tried a new Inflatable AL E. Gator two seasons ago but no-one liked it.
Last year there were photos of a newer version with a very muscular body and meaner look. I hope they use that one. The current Albert is rather old and in much need of a makeover!!
I'll try to post a clip from the new one onmy next post.

Cobblestone
March 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Girls with big bellies should never wear "belly shirts". (look at the front row blond) xnonox xrotatehx xlolx

Nothing wrong with a little muffin top.

T-Dog
March 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Good stuff

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
How bout the Cornell Big Red, Dartmouth Big Green, Harvard Crimson. How can you even have mascots for those lame names? You'd think with the brains they have there they could come up with something better.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM
All of the good looking girls in that photo and you noticed the one with a belly? Are you a "stomach" man, or something?
xrotatehx xsmhx xlolx

UAalum72
March 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
How bout the Cornell Big Red, Dartmouth Big Green, Harvard Crimson. How can you even have mascots for those lame names? You'd think with the brains they have there they could come up with something better.
Those are team nicknames, not mascots. Cornell uses a bear, H uses John Harvard. Dartmouth was the Indians in a previous era. Better to use just a color than try to make a mascot out a Crimson Tide or a Green Wave.

jessesd
March 20th, 2007, 11:59 AM
All of the good looking girls in that photo and you noticed the one with a belly? Are you a "stomach" man, or something?
xrotatehx xsmhx xlolx

Meat is for men,
Bones are for dogs!!!

HIU 93
March 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Meackie...was very quickly retired. What an embarrassment for the conference.

He wasn't retired. There was a covert mission to assassinate Meackie, and he was buried in several undisclosed locations (don't ask, it was too ugly). It was called Operation Slap Dennis Thomas.

No, I will not reveal my sources.

This message will self-destruct in 15 seconds.

CID1990
March 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I remember when I was a kid, Elon was an NAIA school, and they won the NAIA national championships a couple times. (Yes, Elon has a football tradition, a pretty good one). I went to one of those championship games since I grew up about 15 minutes from the campus. Anyway, the last time they played for the title, they played some school from PA and their mascot was the Gorillas. Does anybody know what school that is? I can't remember for the life of me.

UAalum72
March 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Only one listed now is not Pennsylvania, but the Pittsburg State (Kansas) Gorillas (now Division II). Easy mistake.

This is a great site
http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/#G

I've heard the UMass lacrosse team called the Gorillas

HiHiYikas
March 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I can't understand why the gorilla is a relative no-show in the world of college mascots. Panthers, Tigers, Dogs of all kinds, any number of birds, bears, snakes, bees, multiple varieties of cat. So why don't primates get a turn? I mean, gorillas are pretty fierce creatures.

And why so few rhinocerous mascots? I did an athletic logo package in college (not my best work, back then) using the nickname "Force," and a Rhino mascot. Again, not the best idea I've ever had or the best work I've ever done, but I thought it was a pretty cool idea at the time.

jstate83
March 20th, 2007, 04:27 PM
No school in America can beat Delta States old Mascot.
I know they D2.....................But DAMM!!xlolx

And I got used to that thing........................xlolx

Fighting Okra

dbackjon
March 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
xlolx

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
He wasn't retired. There was a covert mission to assassinate Meackie, and he was buried in several undisclosed locations (don't ask, it was too ugly). It was called Operation Slap Dennis Thomas.

No, I will not reveal my sources.

This message will self-destruct in 15 seconds.
Whoever pulled that off should be declared a national hero. Children will no longer have to be threatened by that monstrosity.

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Fighting Okra
JState, you win. That's the worst mascot I've ever seen. At first I thought it was a giant pickle.
xlolx xnodx xrotatehx

That thing looks hungry and the way he is looking at that little boy ... This can't end good.

jstate83
March 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM
JState, you win. That's the worst mascot I've ever seen. At first I thought it was a giant pickle.
xlolx xnodx xrotatehx

That thing looks hungry and the way he is looking at that little boy ... This can't end good.

That thing was so ugly and "out-there", no matter what school your loyalty was too in Mississippi, you had to kinda like that thing. xlolx

Mr. C
March 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I can't understand why the gorilla is a relative no-show in the world of college mascots. Panthers, Tigers, Dogs of all kinds, any number of birds, bears, snakes, bees, multiple varieties of cat. So why don't primates get a turn? I mean, gorillas are pretty fierce creatures.

And why so few rhinocerous mascots? I did an athletic logo package in college (not my best work, back then) using the nickname "Force," and a Rhino mascot. Again, not the best idea I've ever had or the best work I've ever done, but I thought it was a pretty cool idea at the time.
There was a high school (prep school) in California that I covered that was named the Gorillas. Former UCLA basketball star Mitchell Butler was one of the school's alums.

As far as Rhinos are concerned, there is a professional soccer team in the U.S. called the Raging Rhinos (Division II team, maybe the Rochester Rhinos, if I remember right).

JRCA
March 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
CID1990
The Gorillas were from Pittsburg State in Kansas.

Elon beat them 3-0 in the 1981 NAIA National Chamionship. Back then Elon 's Mascot was the Fighting Christians. And yes, Elon has a fine football history playing in 3 National Championships in 70's and 80's (winning the NAIA Championship under Coach Jerry Tolley in 1980 and 1981).

JohnStOnge
March 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
My face hurts.

gobluehose1
March 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I would like to submit the Presbyterian College "Blue Hose" to the list

We try to act like its some sort of Braveheartlike Scottish warrior........but we really got the name from wearing trademark blue socks back in the 1940s

I kinda like it though...it grew on me during my time there

AggiePride
March 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Fighting Okra

LMAO, the eyes are not even similar to eachother.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
dont know if it has been brought up yet but the phoenix of elon is pretty stupid

Col Hogan
March 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM
Only one listed now is not Pennsylvania, but the Pittsburg State (Kansas) Gorillas (now Division II). Easy mistake.

This is a great site
http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/#G

I've heard the UMass lacrosse team called the Gorillas

Back when the legendary Dick Garber (http://www.uslacrosse.org/museum/halloffame/view_profile.php?prof_id=281 (http://www.uslacrosse.org/museum/halloffame/view_profile.php?prof_id=281)) was the UMass LAX coach, his powerhouse teams were sometimes refered to as "Garber's Gorillas"

bodoyle
March 21st, 2007, 12:14 PM

He looks like a coal miner.

Kosty
March 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Scottsdale Community College......the Fighting Artichokes. I think that tops the Okras.....

https://images.efollett.com/spirit/v4/178/plain.jpg

JMU2K_DukeDawg
March 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
At our secondary school we had a mascot that was a "Fighting Gamecock" or if you will - a big ****-off Rooster. Yes, I know, this has all sorts of connotations of its own.

Then the Piss-and-moan about everything brigade came out and said that our Rooster was too aggresive looking and sent a violent message to kids...so they changed it...into a big Hen-like looking chicken. For info kids, a hen is female and known for laying eggs rather than fighting.

So we had a big ****ing chicken sponsoring our sporting teams.

This above quote was in the replies to the article below the mascots. I guess this guy has never heard of the University of Delaware. Or did UD just copy some random secondary school? xlolx :p

My personal favorites were Campbell's Gaylord the Camel and UWGB's Phoenix. I mean, damn, that thing needs some help. What is so bad about it is the potential of being a good mascot gone terribly wrong.:o