PDA

View Full Version : (FCS #18) Furman vs. (FBS #2) Clemson

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 03:46 AM
12:20 ACC Network

Hoping for a close to injury free game for the Paladins

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 03:49 AM
College Gameday is in town doing a piece on FU's QB (plays for Furman, takes classes at Clemson) xthumbsupx

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1034515214547542016

https://twitter.com/MartySmithESPN/status/1034533549062475777

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 05:04 AM
The Greenville News reported the unique story of Harris Roberts' dual enrollment at Clemson and Furman a few weeks ago, and it has caught on a unique human interest piece nationally.

h5322rsh
August 29th, 2018, 05:14 AM
How much of a paycheck does Furman earn from this game? $400,000? Just a wild guess.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 06:15 AM
How much of a paycheck does Furman earn from this game? $400,000? Just a wild guess.

No idea. My recollection is payments from Clemson are typically a bit smaller than other ACC/SEC programs because Furman has a fraction of expenses. Make less, but spend less.

Furman and Clemson are only 30 miles apart, and the Paladins do not have to incur the same travel expenses if they were playing a school any significant distance away. I imagine Furman will almost treat it like a home game in terms of their travel schedule.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 06:42 AM

“S.C. State and The Citadel will earn $300,000 at Clemson in 2016 and 2017, respectively, while Furman is slated to receive $360,000 in 2018.”

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 09:17 AM
The Greenville News reported the unique story of Harris Roberts' dual enrollment at Clemson and Furman a few weeks ago, and it has caught on a unique human interest piece nationally.

Indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

“S.C. State and The Citadel will earn $300,000 at Clemson in 2016 and 2017, respectively, while Furman is slated to receive $360,000 in 2018.”

And there you have it, good info

walliver
August 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Clemson schedules bus ride in-state FCS games, with FU, Citadel, SC State and Wofford visiting every 4 years.
South Carolina had a similar rotation but is dropping Wofford after the last scheduled game, and likely is dropping Citadel too, as Muschamp doesn't like the option. Since Clemson plays Georgia Tech every year, they aren't bothered much by the option.

A 12:30 game in the dog days of summer favors the team with greater depth.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Clemson's d-line is going to destroy the Furman OL. The Paladins offense will have no chance until the 3rd teamers roll in....

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Clemson's d-line is going to destroy the Furman OL. The Paladins offense will have no chance until the 3rd teamers roll in....

While you could be right, you can't overlook what Furman Head Coach Clay Hendrix (an OL guy himself) impact has been on this program in 1 season, see below:

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1033326373803368449

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Another major impact Clay Hendrix has brought back to FU is 'discipline'

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1034808816297238528

wcugrad95
August 29th, 2018, 10:07 AM
While I want to see the SoCon do well, Clemson has so much depth and is so good on defense this could get ugly (Clemson beat Citadel 61-3 last year). Another problem is Clemson usually doesn't have a "clemson-ing" game until somewhere in the middle of the year around their bye week (see Syracuse, Pitt, etc.). I think an injury-free game and scoring double-digits would be a good showing for the Paladins in this one, but you never know if lady luck bounces your way (turnovers, special teams play, etc.). The only spread I saw mentioned was from a week or so ago at 48.5. I believe FU is capable of covering if they take care of the ball.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 10:15 AM
While I want to see the SoCon do well, Clemson has so much depth and is so good on defense this could get ugly (Clemson beat Citadel 61-3 last year). Another problem is Clemson usually doesn't have a "clemson-ing" game until somewhere in the middle of the year around their bye week (see Syracuse, Pitt, etc.). I think an injury-free game and scoring double-digits would be a good showing for the Paladins in this one, but you never know if lady luck bounces your way (turnovers, special teams play, etc.). The only spread I saw mentioned was from a week or so ago at 48.5. I believe FU is capable of covering if they take care of the ball.

Furman beat the Citadel 56-20. The Paladins could have put as many points on the board as they wanted to.

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
FU's secret weapon is starting CB Amir Trapp, transferred in last spring from Clemson lol xthumbsupx (one of just 2 transfers at FU, we also have a FB from Air Force), see article:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2018/08/28/furman-newcomer-trapp-eager-face-clemson-his-former-football-team/1108843002/

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Incidentally, I don't think anyone is predicting a Furman upset in this one. Clemson might be one of the 4 or 5 best college football teams in the country.

I know Clemson has a notable defensive line. I am anxious to see what the Paladin offense can do with that group. Furman sports a big and athletic offensive line backed by a 250 pound running back. So, I don't think they will be a pushover up there.

Of course, Clemson is easily the best defense Furman will see all season. The good news is that going forward, everyone will not look quite as strong by comparison.

On defense, I am quite bullish on Furman's group this year. They came on strong last year and return virtually the entire two deep. Clemson's biggest advantage is their sizeable wideouts, but Furman isn't exactly undersized in the defensive backfield with Lemons (6'3), Okeh (6'4) and Weems (6'1). I don't think the Tigers are just going to be able to air mail it for 60 points.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 29th, 2018, 12:18 PM
unfortunately for Furman they may be facing the best defensive line EVER in college football. This will not be a fun game.

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 12:38 PM
unfortunately for Furman they may be facing the best defensive line EVER in college football. This will not be a fun game.

Everyone seems to say that. It may well be, but right now all that is just talk.

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Valid point, Clemson only gave up more than 17 points last season in 4 of their 14 games

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Valid point, Clemson only gave up more than 17 points last season in 4 of their 14 games

The Paladin offense throws a lot at you, with option looks, spread looks, multiple formations, personnel, shifts, and motions. They are going to have to keep Clemson off balanced and stay out of predictable situations.

Furman does not surrender many sacks, so it is imperative to keep that defensive line guessing. Kealand Dirks might be the biggest running back Clemson will see all season, and he needs to keep them honest up front. Furman cannot afford to let that defensive line rev up their engines. If they are agressive, hit them with inside runs. If they want to defend the run, work the play action game outside.

This is not the first time we've seen good defensive linemen. Heck, we saw the #5 overall pick just last season.

At bottom, the offense is going to need to play a bit of keep away, hold onto the ball, and shorten the game.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 02:14 PM
unfortunately for Furman they may be facing the best defensive line EVER in college football. This will not be a fun game.Reckon if those 3 or 4 NFL 1st Round Draft Choices might be more interested in 'protecting' their 1st round money than they are getting to the football?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TLCREF55rk

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 29th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Reckon if those 3 or 4 NFL 1st Round Draft Choices might be more interested in 'protecting' their 1st round money than they are getting to the football?

Great Point! Maybe they'll be looking for a highlight type play too though?

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Great Point! Maybe they'll be looking for a highlight type play too though?
Want 1 "highlight play" (vs. 'lesser' competition)
vs.
NEED to protect a $9,728,950 signing bonus (2018 1st round average) and an NFL contract worth $16,019,639 (2018 NFL 1st round average)

https://assets.rbl.ms/10406479/980x.gif

PaladinFan
August 29th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Furman's not a great team to try and make a highlight reel play against. The Paladins surrendered only 7 sacks in 13 games last season.

The QB rarely stays in one spot and everyone can run. Defenses cannot really afford to be too aggressive because of the constant threat of the fullback.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 29th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Furman's not a great team to try and make a highlight reel play against. The Paladins surrendered only 7 sacks in 13 games last season.

The QB rarely stays in one spot and everyone can run. Defenses cannot really afford to be too aggressive because of the constant threat of the fullback.

I get it. You've posted that already and now doubled down on it, but your poor paladins aren't in the same strati-sphere. They will blow up the backfield with their 1's on pass or run. Not trying to hate, I hope you represent well as Furman is a solid team but i just don't see it.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 04:38 PM
i just don't see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6rBG4D7FU8

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 05:35 PM
I get it. You've posted that already and now doubled down on it, but your poor paladins aren't in the same strati-sphere. They will blow up the backfield with their 1's on pass or run. Not trying to hate, I hope you represent well as Furman is a solid team but i just don't see it.

Don't see what?

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Furman will get crushed.

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Furman will get crushed.

I don't think anybody is expecting anything else, which makes this game a win win for Furman, get us some college gameday coverage featuring our QB, a paycheck for $360k, and if we happen to hang around then some people take notice, if we get killed its all good as that's what is expected

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 29th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Don't see what?

FUbar keeps on about thier lack of sacks. I'm just saying there is no way that the D line from Clemson will not be stupid disruptive and get theirs.

Bisonoline
August 29th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Reckon if those 3 or 4 NFL 1st Round Draft Choices might be more interested in 'protecting' their 1st round money than they are getting to the football?

Dont see whats dirty. But of course in this day and age everyone cries when you cut block a guy. The game is called football. Its violent.

FUBeAR
August 29th, 2018, 08:08 PM
PaladinFan (not FUBeAR)keeps on about thier lack of sacks. I'm just saying there is no way that the D line from Clemson will not be stupid disruptive and get theirs.
fyp

cx500d
August 29th, 2018, 08:42 PM
I don't think anybody is expecting anything else, which makes this game a win win for Furman, get us some college gameday coverage featuring our QB, a paycheck for $360k, and if we happen to hang around then some people take notice, if we get killed its all good as that's what is expected
You should have held out for 375k

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 09:49 PM
You should have held out for 375k

Probably right lol

FUGameBreaker
August 29th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Last FBS top 25 team we played was in 2016 (@ #12 Michigan St.) granted this will be a different beast this Saturday, however we did hold our own for most of the game in the 2016 MSU tilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILKlZujVDE

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 29th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Last FBS top 25 team we played was in 2016 (@ #12 Michigan St.) granted this will be a different beast this Saturday, however we did hold our own for most of the game in the 2016 MSU tilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILKlZujVDE

I actually watched the game live and loved it. Thought Furman really held their own. Love to see them stand toe to toe again, good for the division.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 04:59 AM
My gut says that the game will look similar to Furman's tilt against NC State last season. The Wolfpack finished in the top 25 and right behind Clemson in the ACC Atlantic (lost head to head by 7). Like this year's Clemson team, last year's NC State team also had top talent on the defensive line.

The Paladins held their own against NC State for much of the game. They gave up some big plays on defense, including a back breaker right before half time.

I do think this Furman defense is a lot better than last year's, though. NC State saw Furman early in the season under a brand new coaching staff still trying to figure things out. This year, Furman returns a lot of experience on defense and, specifically, big defensive backs that may mitigate some the size advantage of the ACC receivers.

Furman is a huge underdog, but I don't think this will be some 60-3 contest.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Many times in these games, the P5 teams either don't know how to defend option offenses or just skimp on preparation. The 2011 Alabama defense was all-time good, and Georgia Southern (in the words of Nick Saban) "ran through their *** like **** through a tin horn". This was the day after Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State to put Alabama back in the national championship picture and Alabama probably wanted to make a statement.

That said, Clemson in their first four games plays Furman, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. I doubt their skimping on preparation and Brent Venables has done a good job defending Georgia Tech. Not expecting much from any of those 3 offenses against Clemson.

I would love to see Furman do something like what Wofford did at Clemson in 2011 to quiet some of the critics of the offense. I shake my head whenever I see anyone question the offense because of what Georgia Tech has done, when Tech has fewer running backs in the NFL than Georgia Southern does.

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 08:26 AM
The spread is only 48.5, so you are probably correct - Furman can cover at 51-3 xlolx

Just busting your chops, as I think this will be a 21 to 28 point win for Clemson with the halftime score more than respectable (around 10 points). But you keep saying how much better Furman is. You do realize that Clemson is going to also be much better than NC State was last year as a fringe top-25 team, right???

For the record, I thought WCU had a legit shot to at least hang around with a very bad UNC team last season. I certainly predict FU to do much better than that!

walliver
August 30th, 2018, 09:29 AM
I attended a few Tigger games last year, and Dabo's teams in the early season tend to play to the level of the competition. The Kent State and Boston College games look like blow-outs on paper, but the offense struggled against Kent for the first 3 quarters, and Dabo put up two cheap TD late against BC. The Citadel game was a legitimate blow-out, but El Cid collapsed in three games last year (they spotted Sammy a 35 point lead and then tried to fight back, and just collapsed against FU).

I suspect Dabo's offense will struggle a little early on, but get up to steam in the second half. In the end, Clemson will win by a lot of points (most in the 4th quarter), but the game will be closer than the score indicates. Furman's offense will not be a mystery this season.

I doubt this will be another App State - Michigan game. That year's Michigan team had a lot of issues. This year's Clemson team doesn't.

FUGameBreaker
August 30th, 2018, 09:58 AM
My gut says that the game will look similar to Furman's tilt against NC State last season. The Wolfpack finished in the top 25 and right behind Clemson in the ACC Atlantic (lost head to head by 7). Like this year's Clemson team, last year's NC State team also had top talent on the defensive line.

The Paladins held their own against NC State for much of the game. They gave up some big plays on defense, including a back breaker right before half time.

I do think this Furman defense is a lot better than last year's, though. NC State saw Furman early in the season under a brand new coaching staff still trying to figure things out. This year, Furman returns a lot of experience on defense and, specifically, big defensive backs that may mitigate some the size advantage of the ACC receivers.

Furman is a huge underdog, but I don't think this will be some 60-3 contest.

I will say, in all my years I believe the ACC refs to be the most corrupt FBS refs in these matchups vs. FCS, they always seem to call the game lopsided for the ACC team

Down 28-13 against NC State last year and driving in the 3rd quarter we had two missed calls on different plays at the 1:34:00 mark on the video, an obvious face-mask and an extremely obvious pass interference on what would have been a big play/td, both happened clear as day right in front of refs and both times they screwed Furman, I believe those missed calls were what swung the game out of our grasp last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-UwdhFfuoI

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 10:00 AM
The spread is only 48.5, so you are probably correct - Furman can cover at 51-3 xlolx

Just busting your chops, as I think this will be a 21 to 28 point win for Clemson with the halftime score more than respectable (around 10 points). But you keep saying how much better Furman is. You do realize that Clemson is going to also be much better than NC State was last year as a fringe top-25 team, right???

For the record, I thought WCU had a legit shot to at least hang around with a very bad UNC team last season. I certainly predict FU to do much better than that!

Well, let me clarify.

Last season Furman had a brand new coaching staff on both sides of the ball running completely new systems. That is different than, say, Wofford who has a largely new coaching staff, but will essentially be running the exact same offense and defense. Furman went through wholesale changes.

Against NC State, it was pretty clear Furman's issue was on defense, not offense. The Paladin offense gave a respectable show with 329 yards of offense and 30 minutes of possession. They struggled to deal with NC State's bigger offensive players, especially at WR.

I have no idea what Furman is going to do this year, but I think Furman will be as strong on defense as we've been in 15 years. There is not only talent, but finally some depth on that side of the ball.

Now, Clemson may go up, over, and around us.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Many times in these games, the P5 teams either don't know how to defend option offenses or just skimp on preparation. The 2011 Alabama defense was all-time good, and Georgia Southern (in the words of Nick Saban) "ran through their *** like **** through a tin horn". This was the day after Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State to put Alabama back in the national championship picture and Alabama probably wanted to make a statement.

That said, Clemson in their first four games plays Furman, Georgia Southern, and Georgia Tech. I doubt their skimping on preparation and Brent Venables has done a good job defending Georgia Tech. Not expecting much from any of those 3 offenses against Clemson.

I would love to see Furman do something like what Wofford did at Clemson in 2011 to quiet some of the critics of the offense. I shake my head whenever I see anyone question the offense because of what Georgia Tech has done, when Tech has fewer running backs in the NFL than Georgia Southern does.

Furman isn't an "option team" though. Furman has elements of the option game, of course, but also throw it as well as any team in the conference.

As Swinney noted in his comments two days ago, Furman's offense is rooted in option principles, but can use the same personnel to move in and out of formations, shift, and create matchups. A lot of the WRs come in to block in the backfield, the TBs get outside as receivers, and the TE can is a hybrid player that can move off the line as a receiver as well.

Not saying Clemson will struggle with that, but Furman really does not run the Paul Johnson-esque option all that often. You have to prepare, though, as if Furman would run it every play. Because they can if they want to and you aren't prepared for it.

SU DOG
August 30th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Always good for the SoCon teams to be competitive with the big boys, and maybe Furman can. Historically they have certainly done so. There is one thing I'm not understanding here, however. All this talk about the potency of the Dins offense, and yet I look at the current 2-deep and don't see the starting QB named(I could have missed an update). It looks like it will be a seldom used RS Sr. or a RS Fr. Obviously whoever it is has some monstrous shoes to fill in trying to replace P J Blazejowski. PJB seemed to be such a good team leader, and he could hurt you in so any different ways. Will the new guy, whoever that is, actually be expected to immediately execute the Furman offense like last year? Seems to me to start out against Clemson will be a bad situation for a new guy.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Always good for the SoCon teams to be competitive with the big boys, and maybe Furman can. Historically they have certainly done so. There is one thing I'm not understanding here, however. All this talk about the potency of the Dins offense, and yet I look at the current 2-deep and don't see the starting QB named(I could have missed an update). It looks like it will be a seldom used RS Sr. or a RS Fr. Obviously whoever it is has some monstrous shoes to fill in trying to replace P J Blazejowski. PJB seemed to be such a good team leader, and he could hurt you in so any different ways. Will the new guy, whoever that is, actually be expected to immediately execute the Furman offense like last year? Seems to me to start out against Clemson will be a bad situation for a new guy.

Clemson is probably a bad barometer. That will easily be far and away the best defense Furman will face all season.

Let's look at it this way. Prior to Hendrix/Quarles' arrival, Furman was an objectively bad offense. They were the SoCon's worst in 2014 and 2015. In 2016, Bruce Fowler tried to implement some changes and the offense went from bad to simply mediocre. In 2017, they were the league's best.

I really don't think it is necessarily an experience factor. PJ Blazejowski had never played in this offense. In that regard, both Lincoln and Roberts are more experienced players because they've spent two years in the system where Blazejowski had basically a spring practice and preseason camp.

I think a lot of folks see the players Furman lost, but don't look at them in the context of their careers at Furman. Yes, Antonio Wilcox graduated. He rushed for 832 yards last season and 14 touchdowns. That was more than he had in 2016 AND 2015 combined. It's the coaching.

Andy Schumpert was a rarely used backup WR. Furman moved him to TE two weeks before the season started and he ran away with the All SoCon award and was arguably the most dangerous offensive player in the entire league. It's the coaching.

The OL loses two guys that played a lot of snaps, but still return virtually everyone else. Furman went from one of, if not the, worst offensive lines in 2014-2016 to arguably the best in 2017. It's the coaching.

I look at it this way, Furman has very few upperclassmen on offense and lack "experience" at key positions. They return a bunch of players, though, that have experience under Hendrix/Quarles, just not in game experience. What is more valuable, guys that understand this system and this coaching staff, or guys that played on the league's worst offense three years ago?

Look, I'm nervous about the offense. I'm concerned about who is going to back up Dirks. I'm concerned over the loss of Matt Schmidt, who was a very good center. I hope our QB takes care of the ball and manages the game like Blazejowski did. Every season comes with concerns. However, I am pretty confident that this staff will have the team ready.

Besides, if you can play defense and run the ball, the QB hopefully won't have to do too much xthumbsupx

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 11:47 AM
I think the unknown of QB going against the Clemson defense is the biggest concern, because I can't see Furman having a ton of success running the ball up the middle like they can (and did) against most of their FCS opposition last year. Dirks is going to be a handful for the SoCon to deal with every single carry, but I don't think his size will be much of an advantage against Clemson's D-line.

And I was expecting SU DOG (or somebody from Samford) to jump on the quote about Furman (and their untested QBs) being able to "throw it as well as any team in the conference". I am sure there will be some statistical breakdown of Blazejowski's efficiency, but you don't have him anymore and nobody in the league is anywhere close to Samford with Hodges and his returning WR group. Offensive balance is a very different conversation, but nobody has or is going to throw it like them. Maybe your guy(s) will some day, but probably not in start #1.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 30th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Furman isn't an "option team" though. Furman has elements of the option game, of course, but also throw it as well as any team in the conference.

As Swinney noted in his comments two days ago, Furman's offense is rooted in option principles, but can use the same personnel to move in and out of formations, shift, and create matchups. A lot of the WRs come in to block in the backfield, the TBs get outside as receivers, and the TE can is a hybrid player that can move off the line as a receiver as well.

Not saying Clemson will struggle with that, but Furman really does not run the Paul Johnson-esque option all that often. You have to prepare, though, as if Furman would run it every play. Because they can if they want to and you aren't prepared for it.

I get that it's not the Paul Johnson variant. I've watched Air Force some over the past several years and watched some of Furman last year. I would put it in the same family of offenses, though.

We don't exactly run the Johnson variant, either. We run an option offense based on the inside zone rather than just an A-gap dive like the Johnson coaching tree does, but I don't think that'll help us much.

You guys were certainly efficient in the passing game, though (led the FCS in passing yards per attempt), so that's one thing you have that Tech and Georgia Southern don't.

PaladinNation
August 30th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I think the unknown of QB going against the Clemson defense is the biggest concern, because I can't see Furman having a ton of success running the ball up the middle like they can (and did) against most of their FCS opposition last year. Dirks is going to be a handful for the SoCon to deal with every single carry, but I don't think his size will be much of an advantage against Clemson's D-line.

And I was expecting SU DOG (or somebody from Samford) to jump on the quote about Furman (and their untested QBs) being able to "throw it as well as any team in the conference". I am sure there will be some statistical breakdown of Blazejowski's efficiency, but you don't have him anymore and nobody in the league is anywhere close to Samford with Hodges and his returning WR group. Offensive balance is a very different conversation, but nobody has or is going to throw it like them. Maybe your guy(s) will some day, but probably not in start #1.

I have no idea whats going to happen on Saturday, saying that I'm really interested in what happens with the Dins QB play.

Roberts dinged a finger and sat out practice for a week+ in that time battle was brewing between Lincon and Sisson, then Granger a ton of raw talent starting making big strides — the first scrimmage he was the best QB. Hendrix has now publicly stated Granger has the best arm of all the QB's and I'll add he's more athletic than Lincoln.

We could see all four QBs play against Clemson — if Granger plays well - and I think he might be in the best position - if he plays the second half. Look out cause here comes Granger.

wcugrad95
August 30th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I would play them all - this is the least-important game on Furman's schedule in my opinion (win and it is the biggest deal ever, play well and get some credit, or lose badly and it doesn't really matter). With the new redshirt rules, I expect across the country we are going to see lots of kids get into games like these just for some reps and experience.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 12:54 PM

I'm not making a 1:1 comparison with Samford. The Bulldogs almost exclusively throw the ball. No team can make up for Samford's numbers given the sheer volume of pass attempts.

Clearly Furman has no chance to put up Samford's passing numbers. The Paladins threw it nearly 300 fewer times last season. Still, despite having the third lowest number of pass attempts (ahead of only Wofford and the Citadel), Furman had a 60%+ completion rate, lead the league in yards per catch, averaged over 10 yards a throw, threw for 200 yards a game, and finished second in the SoCon in passing yards. The SoCon doesn't keep the statistic (at least I don't think they do) but I'd bet that Furman also led the league in passing plays over 20 yards too.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I get that it's not the Paul Johnson variant. I've watched Air Force some over the past several years and watched some of Furman last year. I would put it in the same family of offenses, though.

We don't exactly run the Johnson variant, either. We run an option offense based on the inside zone rather than just an A-gap dive like the Johnson coaching tree does, but I don't think that'll help us much.

You guys were certainly efficient in the passing game, though (led the FCS in passing yards per attempt), so that's one thing you have that Tech and Georgia Southern don't.

That latter point is a hold over from the Air Force days. Air Force routinely lead the FBS in passing yards per attempt and per catch.

It's a great offense to watch. You don't necessarily throw it often, but when you do, it's usually going big.

I'm anxious to see what wrinkles Quarles puts in. I think he was more of an RPO guy at Maryville running a lot of 4 WR sets. The offense, though, is a hodgepodge of a lot of different looks.

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I would play them all - this is the least-important game on Furman's schedule in my opinion (win and it is the biggest deal ever, play well and get some credit, or lose badly and it doesn't really matter). With the new redshirt rules, I expect across the country we are going to see lots of kids get into games like these just for some reps and experience.

This is the luxury of playing Clemson in week 1 instead of Wofford. You can afford to give some guys looks.

I didn't know what to make of Grainger heading into the season. He's a similar body type to Tyrie Adams, though a bit taller. His high school offense did not look particularly sophisticated, but it seems like he's bought into what Furman is trying to do.

SU FAN
August 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Good luck to the Dins

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Good luck to the Dins

We will need it.

Gil Dobie
August 30th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Go Furple!

PaladinFan
August 30th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Furman announces R-Sr Harris Roberts as QB1

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20180830opqmxe

FUGameBreaker
August 30th, 2018, 11:15 PM
Furman announces R-Sr Harris Roberts as QB1

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/releases/20180830opqmxe

Hopefully one of our QB's that plays against Clemson has some success and gets some momentum headed into the Elon clash next weekend

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2018, 08:49 AM
Article:
Here is Furman's offensive line's strategy against Clemson's defensive line Saturday
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/08/30/here-furmans-strategy-vs-clemson-football-teams-defensive-line/1134506002/

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2018, 08:55 AM
Great article regarding FU coach Clay Hendrix's take on the trip to Death Valley to take on the #2 Tigers

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Furman-head-coach-expects-Paladins-to-earn-their-check-against-Clemson-17168

FUBeAR
August 31st, 2018, 09:34 AM
Article:
Here is Furman's offensive line's strategy against Clemson's defensive line Saturday
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/08/30/here-furmans-strategy-vs-clemson-football-teams-defensive-line/1134506002/Blah, blah, blah...best D-Line in the history of the universe, blah, blah, blah. Y’all may not recognize these names these days, but we heard the same stuff about Andrew Provence, Rickey Haygood, and Frank Wright when the Paladins went into Columbia and whipped ‘em like they were our red-headed stepchildren & they outweighed us by 40 lbs/man. All were great Players, but we gave them looks/schemes we never showed before or after...3 or 4 different Blocking schemes for each play. They didn’t know whether to scratch their watch or wind their a$$. They were hot (even though it was mid-October), didn’t really want to be there, and, OH LORD, did they HATE being cut blocked or LEGALLY clipped...which they were...just about every play. And, that was long before $10 million NFL signing bonuses that (k)need to be protected!

Coach Hendrix was there that day and he’s schemed up more than a few All-World DLmen. Those future All-Pro’s haven’t seen anything like the pure Athleticism FU’s O-Line is gonna throw (low) at them. Don’t tell me, “but Georgia Tech” either. Not even close as GT fell victim to the Taller/Bigger OL fallacy in recent years & their OL could hardly run their schemes. Seems they have realized that though & may now be back to Recruiting the right type of OLmen for what they do...ATHLETES...like the 5 OLmen Furman will put on the field Saturday.

Coach Lusk & Coach Hendrix will have those boys scrambling like a 3-legged cat trying to cover his poop on a frozen lake!

Can’t wait to watch!!

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/EciOypYuYwdY4dGkofJ1jIrkT5s=/0x0:1058x426/1200x0/filters:focal(0x0:1058x426)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9820707/Cut_Block_Capture_4.PNG

aust42
August 31st, 2018, 10:50 AM
Good luck Furman!

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2018, 12:44 PM
Clemson fan trying to have some fun with photoshop lol:
Harris Roberts (Clemson Student/Furman QB) to run down hill
https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Harris-Roberts-%28Clemson-Student-Furman-QB%29-to-run-down-hill-1818136?tstart=0

Professor
August 31st, 2018, 02:36 PM
Clemson schedules bus ride in-state FCS games, with FU, Citadel, SC State and Wofford visiting every 4 years.
South Carolina had a similar rotation but is dropping Wofford after the last scheduled game, and likely is dropping Citadel too, as Muschamp doesn't like the option. Since Clemson plays Georgia Tech every year, they aren't bothered much by the option.

A 12:30 game in the dog days of summer favors the team with greater depth.

On thing i like about the state of SC

FUGameBreaker
August 31st, 2018, 03:19 PM
ESPN College Football front page (currently):

Meet the Clemson student who's trying to beat ... Clemson?

http://www.espn.com/college-football/

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24527146/meet-clemson-student-trying-beat-clemson

WCU-Cats!
August 31st, 2018, 09:54 PM
go shock the world xdrunkyx

FUGameBreaker
September 1st, 2018, 07:56 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1035845948637888512

FUGameBreaker
September 1st, 2018, 09:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FifuRVBHXW8

gofurman
September 1st, 2018, 09:46 AM
Just going on record I don't expect us to score. Or very little. As most of you know Tigers have about best DL ever. Three of their DL aren't just sure NFL draftees. They are sure top 20 of 1st round !

sacks and no running holes. So you can see I am objective. That said if we stay healthy furman D should be better than one that put us in playoffs last year. If we weren't playing a team that can win the FBS national title and has tons of NFL talked all over the place I would say we can hold them to moderate score. But as it is being Clemson. Probably 50 - 7 or so. I'd be nappy w one TD

HECK. Vegas line is 48. Despite Furman being a playoff FCS team. Most FCS teams (Portland State got 28 etc - Central Connecticut state got 20) only get 20-37 points. So despite us having some credibility as a good FCS team our line is high 40s. Could get UGLY. and that's ok. Nothing really to lose for FU unless. Injuries. Avoid injuries

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 12:26 PM
Furman's offense not doing much, but the defense looks stout. Clemson is averaging 2.9 yards per rush. Gave up one long pass play on a well-covered receiver.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 12:37 PM
...and the Officials give Clemson life on 2 Plays leading to a TD ...and then on the KO return.

No way were they allowing 13-0 @ half

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 12:39 PM
Striped shirts earned their checks. They can relax now.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 12:40 PM
...and the Officials give Clemson life on 2 Plays leading to a TD ...and then on the KO return.

No way were they allowing 13-0 @ half

You have to play near perfect to beat Clemson, and Furman isn't right now.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 12:41 PM
You have to play near perfect to beat Clemson, and Furman isn't right now.

True - shouldn’t have to play 11 vs 19 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 12:44 PM
True - shouldn’t have to play 11 vs 19 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hendrix just said they had an offensive linemen in the endzone on an RPO pass for a TD. Sounds like he's not happy with the officiating either.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2018, 12:48 PM
Obvious shove in the back by Clemson receiver before the long catch NOT called.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 12:50 PM
On their first TD, it looked like Weems was in fine position. The ball was perfectly thrown and the Clemson receiver didn't give it away until the ball was on him.

I can live with that.

FUGameBreaker
September 1st, 2018, 12:51 PM
That review play would also never have even been looked at if it happened to Furman

I don't think there was 1 single penalty called on clemson

There were so many that could have been called it boggles my mind how corrupt this is, why even play the damn game just mail us our $360k check you ACC chumps

wcugrad95
September 1st, 2018, 01:11 PM
Not trying to pi$$ anybody off, as there have been a few plays that could have seen flags. But it is 27-0 (not 10-7). Clemson is good, and even though they are down I don't think Furman has played awful considering they are playing the #2 team in the country. FU will be as physical as the any other FCS teams they play, but hard to out-physical what Clemson is putting on the field right now.

FUBeAR
September 1st, 2018, 01:11 PM
That review play would also never have even been looked at if it happened to Furman

I don't think there was 1 single penalty called on clemson

There were so many that could have been called it boggles my mind how corrupt this is, why even play the damn game just mail us our $360k check you ACC chumpsReview play should have never happened. Right Tackle jumped. Long Pass...flag at LOS - Clemson Mgr just came onto field & picked it up & handed it to Ref...no discussion...was a “freeze” play...ref saw something he didn’t like & flagged it...until he saw the result. PF on FU on ensuing KO which was fair caught. Didn’t see it, but I’m skeptical based on flurry of calls CU got (and needed) to have a ‘respectable margin’ at half.

BTW - I am at game & it’s 964 degrees here. 85 vs 63 didn’t help at end of half either. DEPTH is a beeeeeyatch!!!!

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 01:12 PM
Adrian Hope sack. Get used to that.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 01:31 PM
Colgate up big on Holy Cross, so that's good for Furman.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 01:42 PM
Apparently Memorial Stadium is a black hole for game updates. It does appear that Furman has gone with Lincoln and Grainger most of the game. With Grainger being a true freshman, I presume that may make Lincoln "the guy."

FUGameBreaker
September 1st, 2018, 01:48 PM
Oh well, our offense was disgusting today

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Oh well, our offense was disgusting today

Good news for Furman is it only gets easier. Many consider that the best defense in college football.

Both sides playing backups now.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 02:07 PM
Well, Furman looks a lot better against the Clemson reserves. Probably a better gauge at what they will look like against the FCS.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 02:12 PM
TD Paladins!

Grainger to De Luca.

FUGameBreaker
September 1st, 2018, 02:38 PM
At least we ended on a decent note, will be interesting to see who starts at QB next week against Elon

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2018, 02:48 PM
At least we ended on a decent note, will be interesting to see who starts at QB next week against Elon

Really good question. Didn't see a lot of Harris Roberts.

PaladinNation
September 1st, 2018, 04:14 PM
Just got home from the game… IT WAS HOT!!!

A few things I thought the D played very well and was surprisingly physical at times,
yes Clemson hit some big plays, it's what they do.

McKoy had a great game… look out for Davonta Porter I believe he was second in tackles - I think he could overtake Wills at SPUR. Amir Trapp is the real deal - he played very well, covered some darn good receivers man up.

Clay made the comment after the game that it was an odd August - they were trying to get four quarterbacks ready to play.
Harris just isn't healthy - Clay said they will move forward with two quarterbacks.

I'm not Quarles or Hendrix but it's obvious Grainger is the most talented QB, I hope me go ahead and put the ball in his hands.

I think the silver-lining for Furman is the play of the young skill players — Grainger, Watkins, Bell, and Lincoln. Watkins had a few really good runs, and it was great to see Deon Sanders bust a big play.

citdog
September 1st, 2018, 10:53 PM
furman sucks