PDA

View Full Version : FCS = Lack Luster Brand of Football

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
What a jerk...says that the name change does nothing for what he calls a "lack luster brand of football". Name change doesn't mean anything as it relates to the quality of play on the field, but what makes this 'lackluster' football?

Goes on to say that FCS "never has, never will" work for Hofstra, Stony Brook...so, thoughts from the Hofstra and SBU faithful on this board?
----------------------
LOCAL COLLEGES
I-AA football: New name, same old game
Steven Marcus
March 16, 2007

I-AA football no longer exists. This applies to our locals, Hofstra and Stony Brook.

Not so fast. It remains, just with a convoluted moniker. The NCAA slipped a new designation on the sport 90 days ago and I-AA is now the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision. That is supposed to differentiate it from the 1-A (real) game, now called the Football Bowl Subdivision.

What does it mean? We see it as merely placing the same corpse into a different crypt. The 1-A lobby wanted to make sure its programs were clearly separated (make that segregated) from 1-AA football. The university presidents who approved the new designations cited media outlets ``incorrectly'' labeling some other sports, such as basketball, as being 1-AA. It sounded second class to them.

The brand of football remains the same and therein lies the real problem. How to make the sport at this level more relevant and compelling?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-skmarc0317,0,6982481.column?coll=ny-collegesports-headlines

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Break out the heavy artiliary. Time to send some shells flying over this numbskull's head.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
where is the xidiotx similie when you REALLY need it!!

This paragraph was interesting though:

At Stony Brook, football is full speed ahead. It decided the Northeast Conference and its very limited scholarship restrictions did not work. Its new path includes increasing scholarships. At least it will have conference affiliation and not be a wandering independent. SBU will announce conference plans shortly but don't get too excited--it will not be joining the Big East.

UNHWildCats
March 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Travis

Brooklyn, NY

"There are places where 1-AA football--pardon me NCAA Football Championship Subdivision-- works. Delaware and Appalachian State, for sure. But it doesn't sell around here. Never has, never will."

It doesn't work around here as you say, because of jack***** like you who waste column space beating it down instead of promoting it.

You try to sound so informed in this article yet on numerous occasions refer to it as 1-AA, as opposed to I-AA and to think your hedaline actually had me thinking some joke of a writer actually got the name right after 90 days of a new name.

UNHWildCats
March 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
they deleted my comment -_-

CoastalFan2005
March 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Duly noted - I've left my mark. They'll probably delete mine just like they deleted Travis', though.

UNHWildCats
March 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM
hmmm now mines back lol

mainejeff
March 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
"SBU will announce conference plans shortly but don't get too excited--it will not be joining the Big East."

Hmmmm......America East? CAA? Big South?

Anyone out there think that there is a possibility of the CAA allowing additional football affiliates to start some sort of time line for the eventual split of CAA football affiliates?

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I tried to find an email address for this dufus and couldn't find one ANYWHERE on the Newsday website, so I emailed the editor and asked for it directly. I guess they don't want feedback from their audience. Absolutely terrible column. Why do you have someone like that covering FCS? I guess he's mad he can't cover the Jets or Giants.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 07:53 PM
This clown has written similar stuff on I-AA/FCS in the past. Just because he doesn't like it, it doesn't have ANY relevance. It's like all of those old guard writer who are always writing about how much they hate soccer.

UNHWildCats
March 16th, 2007, 07:54 PM
E-mail: [email protected]

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Posted my two cents...

Lackluster football? You sure your not getting confused with the FBS (formerly I-A) where they do not even play for a recognized championship?

FBS (that's Football Bowl Subdivision) is probably the only sport in the world that does not determine a champ on the field. You say they do? You can't tell me the (F)BS works considering there are controversies yearly.

FCS is the highest recognized championship football and the games have a lot more meaning from beginning to end than anything the BS subdivision has going for it.

There's no BS in FCS!

Learn a thing or two before you go running your mouth about championship-level football.

Eyes of Old Main
March 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Problem is, idiots like this guy write this stuff and stir up fans who forward links around and send e-mails which this guy shows to his boss as evidence that he's a good writer.

For situations like this, I like to remember two wise statements:

1) Never argue with people who buy ink by the gallon.
and
2) Don't feed the troll.

Mr. C
March 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I wrote a very respectful, but rebuking email to the guy. I told him I'd debate him any place, any time on the subject.

GannonFan
March 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM
This clown has written similar stuff on I-AA/FCS in the past. Just because he doesn't like it, it doesn't have ANY relevance. It's like all of those old guard writer who are always writing about how much they hate soccer.

Agreed, Marcus is a hack and the Hofstra posters on the CAA zone have railed about him for years. Nothing new here.

89Hen
March 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Agreed, Marcus is a hack and the Hofstra posters on the CAA zone have railed about him for years. Nothing new here.
Exactly. I'm surprised you guys don't remember his article a couple months ago when he wrote...

“Who cares about the top ranked teams in I-AA? Who can even name them?

The I-AA football model works in some places. Newark, Del., to be sure. But there is no pro or I-A college team in the area, so Delaware could play club football and everyone would still be interested in it. Long Island fans are more sophiscated and demand more than the I-AA game.

For Long Islanders, Saturday's do not revolve around our local college teams. We would rather watch the big games on television. Or go to the mall. Or rake leaves. Or watch our kids or friends at a local high-school game.

Give us a I-A game and we'll be interested.”

I exchanged e-mails with him then. He's a hack and really knows nothing outside of Long Island. xnonono2x

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
In the midgst of the bluster, here is a point the author makes which is worth discussing: "The brand of football remains the same and therein lies the real problem. How to make the sport at this level more relevant and compelling?"

Outside of the states of Montana, Delaware, and the Dakotas, I-AA football is seen as a secondary product to the state's flagship universities. However great Georgia Southern and App State are in any one season, they're not UGA or UNC in the eyes of the public and that isn't going to change.

Instead of worrying about this article (which really speaks to bygone days in Long Island college football), what is this subdivision doing to build the entire experience up? For every school looking to make a go of it, there's another school looking for a Sun Belt invite and another which won't even be a factor as long as their conference won't qualify for the playoffs.

One doesn't have to be the biggest game in town to win over fans, but too often, I-AA football settles for the back seat. What is your school doing to change that? Too often, the answer is "very little".

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Here's what I posted in his comment section, since it will likely be deleted as soon as he reads it-

Before your tripe about FCS football was posted on the FCS site, I had not heard of YOU! Does that make you a lackluster hack writer?

Here's how FCS differs from FBS:

1. FCS players are true student-athletes. No basket-weaving here. The players in FCS are guys that the student body can be proud of because they actually know them.

2. FCS football teams better resemble teams from the golden age of college football, where grit mattered.

3. MONEY hasn't ruined FCS. I don't even watch I-A fottball anymore because it is just a bunch of thugs hoping for an NFL payday. The Vick brothers never would have made it at an FCS school because they would have been suspended the whole time.

There are many FCS teams who can't get on FBS schedules because they are too risky. If your ONE loss for the season is to a FCS team, kiss your BCS money goodbye. Just ask the University of South Carolina in 1991 (Citadel 38, USC 35), or ask Arkansas in 1992 (Citadel 10, Arkansas 3) or ask Navy twice in that period or Army twice in that period, also. Only in the last few seasons has The Citadel been able to get back on D-I schedules because the memories of the early 90's have faded.

You should also remember that many current I-A schools have come from the I-AA ranks and have made immediate impacts. Marshall and Boise State come to mind.

I can see that the quality of sports writing in Long Island closely mirrors the quality of college football there. Do your research.

Seawolf97
March 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM
As a Stonybrook fan I did voice my disgust with Mr Marcus and his article. What all you out of town folks have to under stand is that can be Newsday 's m.o. on any subject. Two years ago they ripped the local fire and ems units on Long Island , or they go after a local school district and dont let the NYPD or FDNY make a mistake they will hang them.
Stonybrook and Hofstra compete in the largest pro sports market in the country. College football in the New York Metro area is not a big seller. It would probably take a USC-UCLA or Texas -Texas A&M rivalry to sell. And that aint going to happen. Alot of people were happy for Rutgers last year
but you didnt see many Scarlet Knight bumper stickers around.
Hofstra and Stonybrook will continue to improve and maybe 1 or both will be FBS teams someday along the lines of an Akron or Bowling Green-good but not national powers. Thats what Mr. Marcus should have reported.

Go...gate
March 17th, 2007, 04:24 PM
This guy Marcus is a G-D jerk. xnonono2x

March 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
... the real problem. How to make the sport at this level more relevant and compelling?" Outside of the states of Montana, Delaware, and the Dakotas, I-AA football is seen as a secondary product to the state's flagship universities... in the eyes of the public and that isn't going to change... what is this subdivision doing to build the entire experience up? For every school looking to make a go of it, there's another school looking for a Sun Belt invite...Ahhhhh, envy huh? Not "relevant" or "compelling" because "the public" is thought to (told by mass media to) believe that.
The chance to win the highest NCAA football championship is not enough of an "experience."
I can't remember the last time the FCS (formerly I-AA) had as many teams as they do now so more teams are joining than leaving.

The FCS is what it is, a cost containment brand of collegiate football at the highest level. There's is no doubt in my mind that if FCS teams had as many scholarships as the FBS then the record between them would be very close.

Want to create the difference in D-I basketball? Just give teams that do not have FBS teams less scholarships. The same thing would happen.

The problem with these hacks is that they don't realize that the football is as compelling, the fan frenzy is just as great and the fun is still there. All that despite the mass media (and ignorant alumni) dismissing the facts.

So we soldier on in our battle to enlighten the masses and condescending media.

PS I still think they are miffed because we have CHAMPIONSHIP in our name. xnodx
PPS I think the NCAA brass get grins from that. xnodx

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
This was the email I sent Mr. Marcus. I was actually a lot nicer than I probably should have been.

Steven:

As someone who has covered every level of football for over 30 years and has covered I-AA/FCS for 15 years, I respectfully disagree with almost everything in your Friday column. I have a tremendous amount of fun almost every Saturday during football season as I cover Appalachian State (I know you did give the Mountaineers a small bone in your column). I have seen some of the most exciting moments I've ever witnessed in football at I-AA/FCS games. I've also covered enough quality players in that time to fill a Pro Bowl roster. I don't know why you are so negative about teams like Hofstra and Stony Brook (both of whom I saw play on television last year), but you really missed the boat on this column. There are a lot of people who are passionate about this level of football. Just go to a game at Montana, Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, McNeese State, Georgia Southern or Delaware sometime and you will see. Just because the folks on Long Island haven't discovered Hofstra doesn't mean that this level of football is bad. You really ought to get out and about a little more and experience something that you obviously show you are not really qualified to write about. As a fellow professional, I was very disappointed with this column. I'd love to debate you further on the subject in an attempt to win you over to a great form of college football.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Ahhhhh, envy huh? Not "relevant" or "compelling" because "the public" is thought to (told by mass media to) believe that.
The chance to win the highest NCAA football championship is not enough of an "experience."
I can't remember the last time the FCS (formerly I-AA) had as many teams as they do now so more teams are joining than leaving.

The FCS is what it is, a cost containment brand of collegiate football at the highest level. There's is no doubt in my mind that if FCS teams had as many scholarships as the FBS then the record between them would be very close.

Want to create the difference in D-I basketball? Just give teams that do not have FBS teams less scholarships. The same thing would happen.

The problem with these hacks is that they don't realize that the football is as compelling, the fan frenzy is just as great and the fun is still there. All that despite the mass media (and ignorant alumni) dismissing the facts.

PS I still think they are miffed because we have CHAMPIONSHIP in our name. xnodx
I particularly liked the part where he called FCS a dying form of football. I guess he is too asleep at his computer to realize that FCS has never been better than it is right now.

GeauxColonels
March 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
This was the email I sent Mr. Marcus. I was actually a lot nicer than I probably should have been.

Steven:

As someone who has covered every level of football for over 30 years and has covered I-AA/FCS for 15 years, I respectfully disagree with almost everything in your Friday column. I have a tremendous amount of fun almost every Saturday during football season as I cover Appalachian State (I know you did give the Mountaineers a small bone in your column). I have seen some of the most exciting moments I've ever witnessed in football at I-AA/FCS games. I've also covered enough quality players in that time to fill a Pro Bowl roster. I don't know why you are so negative about teams like Hofstra and Stony Brook (both of whom I saw play on television last year), but you really missed the boat on this column. There are a lot of people who are passionate about this level of football. Just go to a game at Montana, Appalachian State, Northern Iowa, McNeese State, Georgia Southern or Delaware sometime and you will see. Just because the folks on Long Island haven't discovered Hofstra doesn't mean that this level of football is bad. You really ought to get out and about a little more and experience something that you obviously show you are not really qualified to write about. As a fellow professional, I was very disappointed with this column. I'd love to debate you further on the subject in an attempt to win you over to a great form of college football.
You're right Mr. C - WAY TOO NICE!

GeauxColonels
March 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM
OK, so here's the comment that I left for this hack:

One of the main "problems" with this "dying breed" of football as you call it is journalists such as yourself completely dimissing FCS football as an afterthough in college athletics. There are MANY FCS schools that have better followings than your beloved Rutgers had prior to Greg Schiano pulling that program off of life support for the last two seasons.

And if it is "dying" as you claim, how is it that every year we see FCS teams beating FBS teams - BCS and non-BCS teams. Perhaps you and your journalist cohorts should take the time to watch several games locally and around the country with an OPEN MIND (although I know that is hard for someone so obviously close-minded as yourself).

As an alumnus of a Championship Subdivision school, with a graduate degree from a Bowl Subdivision school, I am highly insulted at the lack of respect many journalists around the country give to these institutions of higher-learning. At the least, it is a slap in the face of the fans, alumni and faculty of these great schools. But most importantly, you're sucker-punching thousands of young men that have suited up on Saturdays in the fall, representing the schools they so dearly love, to risk their physical well-being to play a game they cherish.

Yes sir, you owe those young men an apology...at the least.

I was prolly too nice too, but I wanted the comment to stay.

Zoo
March 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM
This is the comment I left under his article:

FCS football may not be as popular as FBS football sure, but it sure doesn't mean that they can't risk their bodies every Saturday to show showcase their abilities to give back to the fans who spend their hard earned money to watch the game, and they also play for their school's pride.

Of course the FCS level of football is not lackluster, I gurantee that sir. Yes Montana might not be Michigan, Massachusetts might not be Texas, and of course the defending National Champions of FCS, the Applachian State Mountaineers might not be Florida, but what's the big deal? They are powerhouse programs in their own right and level, which is the FCS.

I have not seen any FBS game this year outside of BSU - OU in the Fiesta Bowl that can compare to the best FCS games I've seen or heard on the radio this year. Look:

James Madison Dukes- Youngstown State Penguins

UMass Minutemen - Montana Grizzlies

Appalachain State Mountaineers - Georgia Southern Eagles

Grambling State Tigers - Hampton Pirates

Applachain State Mountaineers - UMass Minutemen (FCS Championship game)

That's just a little sample of what the FCS games has to offer.

If you say that FCS is lackluster because people never heard of the teams, then who here has heard of FBS programs like this?

Kent State Golden Flashes?
Troy Trojans?
Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders?
Akron Zips?
Bowling Green Falcons?
Florida Atlantic Owls?

Just who are these teams? Oh yeah, teams from the MAC and the Sun Belt, the two worst confrences in FBS football.

Oh and one more thing... what FCS teams have made FBS teams just look absolutely silly this year, all while playing at their home field?

New Hampshire beat Northwestern, they even took a knee to end the game on them!

The Richmond Spiders shut out Duke, 13-0.

North Dakota State beat Ball State.

Two years ago, UC Davis beat Stanford 20-17.

Totally lackluster man....

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ahhhhh, envy huh? Not "relevant" or "compelling" because "the public" is thought to (told by mass media to) believe that.

Hre's the point I think people miss. This reporter has probably never seen Montana or App State or Georgia Southern in person, playing the level of football which gives this board its collective pride. Of the seven schools in his immediate area, none average more than 5,200 a game and one school averages all of 810 a game. And of the seven teams in the New York area, only one of the seven is even eligible to compete for the championship.

If that's his frame of reference, of course his view is skewed, and this goes back to my question above--what is being done to elevate the overall experience? A name change won't be enough.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Exactly the point I made to him in my email. His only context of a great FCS program is Delaware (though you could make a case for UMass, too, with a pair of title-game appearances and a national championship in the past 10 seasons).

March 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM
... my question above--what is being done to elevate the overall experience? A name change won't be enough.Then you mean what is being done to elevate the overall experience at schools that have FCS teams in the NYC area? xconfusedx

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Then you mean what is being done to elevate the overall experience at schools that have FCS teams in the NYC area? xconfusedx

No, what is being done to elevate the entire subdivision? Too often, everyone acts in their own self-interests instead of thinking strategically.

--What is being done for a national TV game(s) of the week, for example, or promoting more I-AA/FCS games on satellite radio?

--What about a "bracket buster" series of games down the road to raise interest, or better organized inter-conference matchups?

--What about working together in building nationwide visibility instead of trying to marginalize other conferences?

--What about working with the HBCU's to further elevate the "classic" games as part of the I-AA/FCS experience?

I-AA/FCS works best when everyone works together.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The name change is just one of many things that are being done. The NCAA has begun to spend more money to make the playoffs and championship game more special and there are more games on television now than there ever have been before (take that as true from someone who tapes as many games in a week as I possibly can). There already is a game of the week broadcast on satellite radio (on Sirius). If you don't know the various conference commissioners, you really don't know how they are working together for the better of FCS. They are trying to do all they can and, in my opinion, are succeeding.

March 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
No, what is being done to elevate the entire subdivision? Too often, everyone acts in their own self-interests instead of thinking strategically.

--What is being done for a national TV game(s) of the week, for example, or promoting more I-AA/FCS games on satellite radio?

--What about a "bracket buster" series of games down the road to raise interest, or better organized inter-conference matchups?

--What about working together in building nationwide visibility instead of trying to marginalize other conferences?

--What about working with the HBCU's to further elevate the "classic" games as part of the I-AA/FCS experience?

I-AA/FCS works best when everyone works together.I have no idea if you listen to CSN WAVES but I have gone through the agenda of the national committee. Did you think there is something they are missing? I have spoken with FCS conference commissioners as well about the agenda and they have been quite candid. Is there something in particular? What you named is mostly already being worked on. And so much more. If you want the FCS to be like the FBS then you will be waiting forever. The NCAA cannot tell HBCUs how to run their leagues. The NCAA does not "marginalize conferences" (boy I can see where you are going with that).
Originally Posted by DFW HOYA ... the real problem. How to make the sport at this level more relevant and compelling?" Outside of the states of Montana, Delaware, and the Dakotas, I-AA football is seen as a secondary product to the state's flagship universities... in the eyes of the public and that isn't going to change... what is this subdivision doing to build the entire experience up? For every school looking to make a go of it, there's another school looking for a Sun Belt invite... Not "relevant" or "compelling" because "the public" is thought to (told by mass media to) believe that?
The chance to win the highest NCAA football championship is not enough of an "experience?"

I think you have a different thing in mind than an NCAA championship level of D-I football. You think it is not relevant... not compelling... not a good experience... and worry about what the public thinks too much IMO.

More schools want to field an FCS team.
More media exposure is given to FCS teams every year.
More money is being spent to heighten the FCS by the NCAA.

The NCAA can only do so much. The individual schools and conferences are responsible for the bulk of it. What are they doing (I see they are increasingly signing TV contracts)? What is Georgetown doing?

MiloCat
March 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM

I think this is a great idea. It seems like too many people dismiss the SWAC because they don't participate in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

March 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I think this is a great idea. It seems like too many people dismiss the SWAC because they don't participate in the playoffs. xtwocentsxIt doesn't matter what people here think when it comes to NCAA votes or playoff selection votes. It matters what THEY want to do. For the SWAC it does not include the NCAA playoffs or classics that include teams their fanbase doesn't want to see. That has been made abundantly clear. You can't force teams or leagues to participate.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM
How about this for an idea: Have Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, Hampton or Florida A&M play a classic against Appalachian State, Montana, Georgia Southern or Delaware? That would be a step in the right direction for promoting FCS.

gr8ness97
March 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM
good idea, but it wouldnt work...App, Montana ant the rest wouldnt want to play that game because they would say the schedule was too weak. the MEAC and SWAC teams would like a home and home, something powerhouses prob wouldnt agree to

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
App State would schedule a team like that (particularly Grambling or Southern) in a heartbeat. Right now, with two games still left to fill on their schedule, the Mountaineers would play just about ANY FCS team.

March 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
In case you have missed it, the SWAC (mostly) have not much interest in playing Appalachian State, Montana, Georgia Southern or Delaware. Their fans don't either.

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
But it would be GREAT for FCS, if they did.

March 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Classics regularly draw more than any games in FCS. Why would they want to do anything less?

March 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
But it would be GREAT for FCS, if they did.The SWAC plays BCF (in their opinion).

MiloCat
March 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
It doesn't matter what people here think when it comes to NCAA votes or playoff selection votes. It matters what THEY want to do. For the SWAC it does not include the NCAA playoffs or classics that include teams their fanbase doesn't want to see. That has been made abundantly clear. You can't force teams or leagues to participate.

Where did I say I have a problem with what the SWAC does? I guess I don't understand why you posted this. xconfusedx

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Do you think Montana or App State fans wouldn't travel for a game with Grambling, or Southern? I think something like that would draw a huge crowd.

March 17th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Where did I say I have a problem with what the SWAC does?I give up, where? xconfusedx

March 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Do you think Montana or App State fans wouldn't travel for a game with Grambling, or Southern? I think something like that would draw a huge crowd.No, I don't think UM or ASU fans OR the Gram or Southern would travel for those games in the same numbers as the classics the SWAC teams already play. xtwocentsx

MiloCat
March 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I've obviously misunderstood something. oh well.

gr8ness97
March 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM
No, I don't think UM or ASU fans OR the Gram or Southern would travel for those games in the same numbers as the classics the SWAC teams already play. xtwocentsx

i think app would, and montana wouldnt...heck they wouldnt even listen to that game on the radio...

March 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've obviously misunderstood something. oh well.I'm just saying the SWAC (and the MEAC Commish) want something different than what the rest of the FCS wants and the FCS is powerless to change it. We all can hope (as we have been doing for years) but ultimately it is their choice.

Believe me, I count the classics and HBCU football as one of the four crown jewels of the FCS. But it is really frustrating when you watch a classic on TV and the coverage only talks about BCF. xsmhx

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:41 PM
i think app would, and montana wouldnt...heck they wouldnt even listen to that game on the radio...
You obviously don't know Montana Griz fans very well. They will travel anywhere to see their team and they have dreamed of a game with someone like Grambling for a long time. The Grambling name has clout and almost any FCS team would jump at the chance to play the Tigers.

March 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
i think app would, and montana wouldnt...heck they wouldnt even listen to that game on the radio...I don't know. The SWAC teams played in 12 classics last year and averaged nearly 34K per game (and that's not counting the Turkey Day or Bayou Classics that are played during the playoffs).

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:43 PM
No, I don't think UM or ASU fans OR the Gram or Southern would travel for those games in the same numbers as the classics the SWAC teams already play. xtwocentsx
We disagree on this subject.

March 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM
... The Grambling name has clout and almost any FCS team would jump at the chance to play the Tigers.I don't think the feeling is mutual though.

March 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
We disagree on this subject.Then I think you disagree as well with most Gram or Southern fans. What would make App St fans show up better than they do against Gram or Southern than they do against their archrivals in the SoCon (or UM in the Big Sky)?

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
No problem in disagreeing on this subject. Different opinions and ideas are what makes AGS great.

Because of the historical aspects of the game. Also, if you had a game like that in a destination location and it was planned several months in advance (as a classic game would be), there would be more appeal for a team like Montana or App State to come out in numbers. I think a game like that, in the right southern city, could do very well. I'm all for doing whatever is good for FCS and a game like this would do a lot for FCS.

March 18th, 2007, 12:11 AM
... I'm all for doing whatever is good for FCS...Guess what, SURPRISE-- so am I! But Gram and Southern don't show a lot of care about it. That's the point I'm making. So we can sit here and say all we want but that won't do much to change their (and frankly the Ivy League's) mind. Their fans want to see certain teams and those are games that draw big crowds. ASU, UM, UD, etc. don't provide that. Gram and Southern played McNeese St fer crying out loud and that didn't do it.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Guess what, SURPRISE-- so am I! But Gram and Southern don't show a lot of care about it. That's the point I'm making. So we can sit here and say all we want but that won't do much to change their (and frankly the Ivy League's) mind. Their fans want to see certain teams and those are games that draw big crowds. ASU, UM, UD, etc. don't provide that. Gram and Southern played McNeese St fer crying out loud and that didn't do it.
No one is more of an advocate for FCS than you, dear sir! xthumbsupx xbowx :)

I can always have a dream, that some day Appalachian State and Grambling will meet on the same field together. That Montana and Southern will play in a truly historic game. xcoolx

March 18th, 2007, 01:07 AM
... I can always have a dream...We gotta dream baby because sometimes dreams are all we have! xnodx

FargoBison
March 18th, 2007, 02:05 AM
good idea, but it wouldnt work...App, Montana ant the rest wouldnt want to play that game because they would say the schedule was too weak. the MEAC and SWAC teams would like a home and home, something powerhouses prob wouldnt agree to

NDSU is traveling to Mississippi Valley State this year after they came to NDSU last year. I would have to say NDSU would be very open to playing a Southern or Grambling.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Good for North Dakota State and MVSU for scheduling that game.

PapaBear
March 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Steven:

You weren't too nice at all. You showed class and professionalism. Nothing wrong with reminding the guy where the bar is -- even if he has neither the ability nor the inclination to reach for it.

Good retort, C.

Seawolf97
March 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM
After reading all the threads - it comes down to Hofstra,Stonybrook and our cousins in NYC Columbia, Wagner and Fordham have to promote themselves more. They are the only D-1 football programs in the area and yet you would never know it.
Last year we opened at home against Hofstra under the lights on beautiful night for football. About 6000 fans showed up for two teams 30 miles apart in a geographic area that has a population of 3 million. If you added Queens and Brooklyn to that area now you are talking about 7 million people. Wagner, Fordham and Columbia play in NYC a city of 8.5 million. All these schools play pretty good schedules from the Patriot Conference to the Ivy League. Their home games should be packed. They really have to market themselves, sell their merchandise locally buy time on local radio and TV etc. Maybe even form an some type alliance to promote their programs or play against eachother more often and not worry about wins or loses. NYC is all about the Jets and Giants and not college football.

UNH SUPERFAN
March 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
In the midgst of the bluster, here is a point the author makes which is worth discussing: "The brand of football remains the same and therein lies the real problem. How to make the sport at this level more relevant and compelling?"

Outside of the states of Montana, Delaware, and the Dakotas, I-AA football is seen as a secondary product to the state's flagship universities. However great Georgia Southern and App State are in any one season, they're not UGA or UNC in the eyes of the public and that isn't going to change.

Instead of worrying about this article (which really speaks to bygone days in Long Island college football), what is this subdivision doing to build the entire experience up? For every school looking to make a go of it, there's another school looking for a Sun Belt invite and another which won't even be a factor as long as their conference won't qualify for the playoffs.

One doesn't have to be the biggest game in town to win over fans, but too often, I-AA football settles for the back seat. What is your school doing to change that? Too often, the answer is "very little".

I hate to agree with you, but you are correct. In the Northeast pro sports and some 1A football matters, the rest no one cares about.

I have followed UNH football for the past 7-8 years. I watched them go from nothing to a national 1AA power in that time and I've waited for the explosion of fan/state support. Instead of getting 3-4k at our games, we now get 8-10k, that is better, but in 2005 when we were in the playoff quarterfinals against Northern Iowa we still only had 8+k in Durham. I thought the entire state of New Hampshire would be there for a Div 1AA playoff game, but it didn't happen.

Here is a story you folks in the northeast can appreciate. My wife and I were driving to UMass from our home in Vermont for last years epic playoff game, UNH-UMASS. On the way down I picked up a Keene, NH sports talk show. THERE WAS NOT ONE WORD ABOUT THE GAME MENTIONED BY THE HOST AND CO-HOST OF THE SHOW!!!! I was absolutely stunned.

That just about says it all.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I got the following response from this curmudgeon.

"The point is, it doesn't work around here and I'm in my 35th year. No one (compared to your area) comes to the games, even in big winning years. So, theer's nothing really to debate, its just a fact."

I pretty much took off the gloves and let him have it in my reply back to him. If he ever made it off Long Island, perhaps he would get a clue.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I hate to agree with you, but you are correct. In the Northeast pro sports and some 1A football matters, the rest no one cares about.

I have followed UNH football for the past 7-8 years. I watched them go from nothing to a national 1AA power in that time and I've waited for the explosion of fan/state support. Instead of getting 3-4k at our games, we now get 8-10k, that is better, but in 2005 when we were in the playoff quarterfinals against Northern Iowa we still only had 8+k in Durham. I thought the entire state of New Hampshire would be there for a Div 1AA playoff game, but it didn't happen.

Here is a story you folks in the northeast can appreciate. My wife and I were driving to UMass from our home in Vermont for last years epic playoff game, UNH-UMASS. On the way down I picked up a Keene, NH sports talk show. THERE WAS NOT ONE WORD ABOUT THE GAME MENTIONED BY THE HOST AND CO-HOST OF THE SHOW!!!! I was absolutely stunned.

That just about says it all.
Just because a lot of folks in the northeast are clueless doesn't mean that FCS doesn't work everywhere else. One of the biggest problems with schools in the northeast is lousy promotion (outside of Delaware and UMass). Another problem is brutally bad facilities. If you build it (a nice stadium), they will come. I've been to Cowell Stadium. It is no wonder people don't show up in greater numbers at places like UNH, Rhode Island and Northeastern, to name a few. It all comes down to putting money into your program and promoting your program. But for a lot of places, they would rather just sit back and wait for basketball season. If it can work in places like Montana, Appalachian State, McNeese State, Georgia Southern, Southern, Gambling Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State and Delaware, it can work in the northeast.

DetroitFlyer
March 19th, 2007, 08:21 AM
How many FCS programs run programs that are in the black? I have never tried to look at every program, and the reporting that is available in the public domain is suspect at best, but the "popular" thought seems to be that most programs lose money.... It is hard to convince folks to spend more and more money on a program that is already solidly in the red.... An AD I know claims to this day that there are only two ways to run football programs. Either you go all the way and run a big time FBS program, or you run a serious "cost containment" program like the MAAC or PFL. The ground in between is fraught with huge financial losses.... Granted, there are always exceptions to the rules and App State, YSU, Montana, Delaware, etc. might be the exceptions. For every one of them, however, there just might be another FCS school hoping that basketball revenue covers the football losses.... Does anybody have any data on FCS as a whole to better quantify the financial "health" of the division? It also seems likely, that a fair chunk of FBS schools, especially the lower tiers are not making money. I sure would like to see some good data for both divisions.

GannonFan
March 19th, 2007, 08:27 AM
How many FCS programs run programs that are in the black? I have never tried to look at every program, and the reporting that is available in the public domain is suspect at best, but the "popular" thought seems to be that most programs lose money.... It is hard to convince folks to spend more and more money on a program that is already solidly in the red.... An AD I know claims to this day that there are only two ways to run football programs. Either you go all the way and run a big time FBS program, or you run a serious "cost containment" program like the MAAC or PFL. The ground in between is fraught with huge financial losses.... Granted, there are always exceptions to the rules and App State, YSU, Montana, Delaware, etc. might be the exceptions. For every one of them, however, there just might be another FCS school hoping that basketball revenue covers the football losses.... Does anybody have any data on FCS as a whole to better quantify the financial "health" of the division? It also seems likely, that a fair chunk of FBS schools, especially the lower tiers are not making money. I sure would like to see some good data for both divisions.

So if you only have sports because you want to make money, how do you explain men's college basketball? Just like in football, the BCS schools make a ton of money off of it, but the smaller schools typically run in the red. Even a successful mid major conference like the CAA (George Mason, VCU, ODU, etc) has most of its members lose money every year, and at levels either similar to or even greater than FCS football does.

gr8ness97
March 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I got the following response from this curmudgeon.

"The point is, it doesn't work around here and I'm in my 35th year. No one (compared to your area) comes to the games, even in big winning years. So, theer's nothing really to debate, its just a fact."

I pretty much took off the gloves and let him have it in my reply back to him. If he ever made it off Long Island, perhaps he would get a clue.

The guy has a point about how FCS football on Long Island is....

Unfortunantely, it doesn apply to ALL of FCS football

As for the comment i made, maybe i dont know much about Montana fans. I just dont see Grambling or Southern, the 2 most well known SWAC teams to schedule these games. Props to NDSU and MVSU. I hope that WSSU continues to schedule other teams outside of BCF such as Coastal xthumbsupx

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
ASU vs SCSU at the Panthers stadium in Charlotte this year would've been a great draw. We travel well and both teams are anticipating having a great season. SCSU is about 2 hours from Charlotte and we have a lot of Alums in that region. ASU is closer to Charlotte I believe and I could easily see 30-40,000 for that game with the right promotions,good weather and good teams. I could see both schools desiring to play the game. BTW we owe APP for shuting us out back in the 80's in our only meeting in Boone.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 09:48 AM
The guy has a point about how FCS football on Long Island is....

Unfortunantely, it doesn apply to ALL of FCS football

As for the comment i made, maybe i dont know much about Montana fans. I just dont see Grambling or Southern, the 2 most well known SWAC teams to schedule these games. Props to NDSU and MVSU. I hope that WSSU continues to schedule other teams outside of BCF such as Coastal xthumbsupx
And my point is that if it works everywhere else, it can work on Long Island, too. Just because marketing and promotion is BAD doesn't mean you have to keep settling for mediocrity.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hre's the point I think people miss. This reporter has probably never seen Montana or App State or Georgia Southern in person, playing the level of football which gives this board its collective pride. Of the seven schools in his immediate area, none average more than 5,200 a game and one school averages all of 810 a game. And of the seven teams in the New York area, only one of the seven is even eligible to compete for the championship.

If that's his frame of reference, of course his view is skewed, and this goes back to my question above--what is being done to elevate the overall experience? A name change won't be enough.

I'm bringing this back into the debate because I happen to think this is an excellent point. And having watched football in this area for more than a decade (having travelled to Hofstra, Fordham, and Columbia to see games, not to mention nearby Rutgers and Princeton), I agree wholeheartedly that the games don't, for whatever reason, get much oxygen from the local press. It's awful hard to sell a Fordham/Columbia game when the Yankees are playing the Red Sox a borough away.

But more importantly is DFW's point. FWIW, FBS football is a recognizable brand that unites the entire nation. Folks tend to agree that USC, West Virginia, Louisville, Texas, Notre Dame and Michigan have conference games but also compete for a "championship". They all compete within the same BRAND (FBS football) and have media which consider them such (AP, USA Today, Reuters). Folks speculate if USC or Texas could win a national "championship", and it's all under the common FBS "brand". Even Navy, Stanford and Rice manage to successfully fool people into thinking that they actually can compete there.

FCS, however, have tied themselves to the local, regional coverage given them (sometimes) by local newspapers. At a place like Lehigh or Lafayette, who has two fairly large local papers servicing their area, it works very very well. But if you're in NYC, your "local area" is not just FCS football, but it's a national sports audience - and with Rutgers and UConn emerging as credible FBS teams, there's even more division of space.

Isn't it odd that places like Delaware, the Lehigh Valley, Montana, Appalachian State have great local coverage and their programs are relatively healthy, while those in "high competition" areas are not? All share certain characteristics: not much competition for any sport.

Making FCS more of a national "brand" can help overcome some of this regionalization. To DFW I would say there IS evidence that this is starting to happen, but there has to be a concerted effort by FCS schools to make their facilities ready for more fans (and TV). Look at Lafayette, who went from a decrepit stadium to a truly awesome refurbishment in only two years. I happen to feel if schools make an effort (not just with students but with the surrounding communities), they can get more fans to come to games, even in larger TV markets. This is a school-by-school issue, not a league issue.

The America Channel apparently will be televising a lot of FCS football next year. That's got to be a good step forward - another national network covering not just one game a week, but a ton of games. And schools probably should get the picture that football is a great way to sell your school, and if your TV or fan experience is that your stadium is a dump, you're going to be in trouble.

Peems
March 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
As a Griz fan I would love to see a game between the Griz and Southern. Go to a warm southern city and watch football in a huge stadium? Cmon that's a dream!

GAD
March 19th, 2007, 11:36 AM
As a Griz fan I would love to see a game between the Griz and Southern. Go to a warm southern city and watch football in a huge stadium? Cmon that's a dream!
Have your AD call ours.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I got a second response from Mr. Marcus this morning and he explained that cost containment football, which he described as the NEC model, is what he meant was dying. But, if anything, NEC football is getting better, too. The fact that the NEC teams began giving out 30 scholarships last year already is having a positive impact on the field for the NEC.

Here was part of his second response:

"Would you rather be a star in Triple A or be in a Major League uniform? UConn left it as soons as it could. And I am not impressed about schools paying for TV contracts to have their games aired (as Hofstra does). Tell me when ABC picks up FCS over Notre Dame-USC. I don't doubt that you know more about the FCS than me, but I will not apologize for being more interested in Ohio State than Montana."

"Most of America has no idea who won the, let's call it, FCS Bowl. I have seen some great players at Hofstra, but that does not obscure the fact that few one around here (in a population close to three million) is watching. If these fans are missing out on something, that's their issue."

I guess it's just his job to sit back and take potshots. It would never occur to this guy to suggest ways that schools like Hofstra and Stony Brook could promote their product.

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I got a second response from Mr. Marcus this morning and he explained that cost containment football, which he described as the NEC model, is what he meant was dying. But, if anything, NEC football is getting better, too. The fact that the NEC teams began giving out 30 scholarships last year already is having a positive impact on the field for the NEC.

"Would you rather be a star in Triple A or be in a Major League uniform? UConn left it as soons as it could. And I am not impressed about schools paying for TV contracts to have their games aired (as Hofstra does). Tell me when ABC picks up FCS over Notre Dame-USC. I don't doubt that you know more about the FCS than me, but I will not apologize for being more interested in Ohio State than Montana."

"Most of America has no idea who won the, let's call it, FCS Bowl. I have seen some great players at Hofstra, but that does not obscure the fact that few one around here (in a population close to three million) is watching. If these fans are missing out on something, that's their issue."

I guess it's just his job to sit back and take potshots. It would never occur to this guy to suggest ways that schools like Hofstra and Stony Brook could promote their product.

Or that he could be part of the solution by reporting the news, and not trashing teams.

henfan
March 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM

So, what is Marcus arguing exactly? That FCS football should be banished because not enough people (in his opinion) care about it? Should fans of FCS football need to validate their interest in their teams based on what "most of America" enjoys? I don't get it. Is he suggesting that universities eliminate all sports that aren't profitable (i.e.- those without widespread fan support)?

Someone needs to remind Marcus that Hofstra football, while it'll never be mistaken for Penn State, still manages 5K fans per game. That's better than a large majority of D-I basketball programs and an even larger majority of all D-I sports.

HU is not joining the NFL any time soon. If that's what Marcus is looking for, his professional interests would be best served by walking across Hempstead Turnpike and covering the NY Jets.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM
What Marcus is really saying is: "Please, don't make me cover any more Hofstra or Stony Brook games, when I'd rather be going to the Meadowlands and watching the Jets, or Giants instead."

Worthless hack.

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 12:43 PM
ASU vs SCSU at the Panthers stadium in Charlotte this year would've been a great draw. We travel well and both teams are anticipating having a great season. SCSU is about 2 hours from Charlotte and we have a lot of Alums in that region. ASU is closer to Charlotte I believe and I could easily see 30-40,000 for that game with the right promotions,good weather and good teams. I could see both schools desiring to play the game. BTW we owe APP for shuting us out back in the 80's in our only meeting in Boone.
I think most of the Southern Conference has a deep respect for South Carolina State's overall athletic program (and Hampton's too). I, for one, would have rather seen the SoCon look towards someone like South Carolina for membership, rather than Samford.

All that being said, I think Appalachian State and South Carolina State would be an outstanding matchup, wherever it was played.

gr8ness97
March 19th, 2007, 12:45 PM
"Most of America has no idea who won the, let's call it, FCS Bowl.

First mistake in his response...the FCS championship game IS NOT A BOWL GAME xnonox xmadx

his line of thinking is already screwed up over mentioning that

jessesd
March 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
As a Hofstra alumni, I happen to agree with portions of his column (as painfully as they may be). There are several areas we must consider when reading his article.
1. Hofstra is a commuter school with less than 3,000 out of 14,000 students living in or near campus and who usually leave the campus deserted during the weekends (with the exception of the International students stuck on campus).
2. Nowhere in Long Island you’ll be able to see any game information or advertisement, there are not billboard or any type of hype or talk with the exception of the little columns way inside the sport section in the local papers (no-one knows when Hofstra plays!), the school is partially responsible for this.
3. I attended games at Hofstra back in 2000-2001 (we had a great team back then), when visiting Elon had more fans in the audience than Hofstra, (with the exception of homecoming when everyone left at half time), there was not much interest on the game at school), we are a Basketball/Lacrosse school.
4. The target audiences for this editorial are Long Islanders who have much to watch on TV and who really can care less about anything that is not the Jets, Yankees or Mets. This article is not for someone in the South were football is religion not matter the size of the town.
5. After moving on to UF, I was able to tell the big difference between big time sports program were the whole town/State is plastered with billboards and every time you turn on the TV or radio you hear about the next game, Same can be said about SDSU/USD sports hype in South Dakota and the other Dakota teams, were they have several billboards all over Sioux Falls providing ticket info, etc, and the news are always peppered with reports about SDSU/USD, (they are the only game in town), There lies the difference between the only game in town and a good FCS program like Hofstra, where many students have never been to a game at their own alma matter because the market is full of many other things to do.
6. Also the demographics of the Long Island region and market are by many considered white-collar-type-of-town, not as appealing for college football as many other markets are. The article was written with a New Yorker mind set were you question everything and rank everything based on profits and importance and FCS football always going to be third after the NFL and FBS.
On conclusion, let’s face reality, as good as ever the following of FCS will ever be in the New York City market, it would never draw to the FBS level (which is not much to talk about either) with the exception of few faithfully followers and niche markets here and there away from the city.

March 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
My FB and MBB teams are national champs...Hmmmm, a University of Florida and Appalachian State University fan. Interesting combination! xnodx

GAD
March 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hofstra and Stony Brook need to demand that a reporter who wants to be there cover there games; not this guy. If he wants to cover FBS let him do that but run this dude off your campus the next time you see him hanging around.

I promise you the folks in places like Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Statesboro, Boone, or Missola would stand for that BS for very long before this clown was sent packing.

bryan92
March 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
they deleted my comment -_-I still see it.

jessesd
March 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hofstra and Stony Brook need to demand that a reporter who wants to be there cover there games; not this guy. If he wants to cover FBS let him do that but run this dude off your campus the next time you see him hanging around.

I promise you the folks in places like Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Statesboro, Boone, or Missola would stand for that BS for very long before this clown was sent packing.

Hofstra can't get anyone to report on their BB or FB games and same goes to Stoner Brook. There is very little interess about college football in the whole island, so "unlike the South" this is New York and people just don't care much about the college sports section on their local newspapers. The high school sports are more important for the local comunnity. So if you can get any coverage, sometimes bad publicity is better that no publicity at all.

Remember Hofstra is a business oriented school = geeks = no interest for sports only money, Hofstra grads are all over Wall street, similar to NYU non sports mentality, (we originally were NYU Long Island branch).

Franks Tanks
March 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hofstra can't get anyone to report on their BB or FB games and same goes to Stoner Brook. There is very little interess about college football in the whole island, so "unlike the South" this is New York and people just don't care much about the college sports section on their local newspapers. The high school sports are more important for the local comunnity. So if you can get any coverage, sometimes bad publicity is better that no publicity at all.

Remember Hofstra is a business oriented school = geeks = no interest for sports only money, Hofstra grads are all over Wall street, similar to NYU non sports mentality, (we originally were NYU Long Island branch).

So right, it really must be hard for southerners for example to understand how people is Boston, NY, Philly, DC etc just dont care about college football. All they talk about is the Red Sox and Yankees and the like. It is terrible but just they way it is. College sports, besides maybe big east basketball, just arent cared for.

March 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
So right, it really must be hard for southerners for example to understand...and hard for Midwesterners to understand too (and I live in Chicagoland).

jstate83
March 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
So right, it really must be hard for southerners for example to understand how people is Boston, NY, Philly, DC etc just dont care about college football. All they talk about is the Red Sox and Yankees and the like. It is terrible but just they way it is. College sports, besides maybe big east basketball, just arent cared for.

Can't even imagine it.
Jackson State , has it's own night on all 3 TV sport's cast and it's own page in the Clarion Ledger.

You would get whipped if you said that about college sport's down here. xlolx

Franks Tanks
March 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Can't even imagine it.
Jackson State , has it's own night on all 3 TV sport's cast and it's own page in the Clarion Ledger.

You would get whipped if you said that about college sport's down here. xlolx

Hey sounds good, I would love to whip all those sports talk guys in the Northeast who spend all their time in September and October dicsussing the American League playoff outlook. Its just terrible.

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Remember Hofstra is a business oriented school = geeks = no interest for sports only money, Hofstra grads are all over Wall street, similar to NYU non sports mentality, (we originally were NYU Long Island branch). To illustrate how Football is king in the south I'd bet any amount of money that if the Braves had a home playoff game and the GA Bulldogs had a home Football game starting at the same time the Football game would be a guaranteed sellout. The Braves probably would have 3-5,000 empty seats. The ATL area sports bars would be full of folks watching the UGA regular season game and glancing at the Braves during Football timeouts,halftime and perhaps the 9th inning. Rutgers wouldn't get a TV on in a sports bar during a Yankee or Mets playoff game.

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I think most of the Southern Conference has a deep respect for South Carolina State's overall athletic program (and Hampton's too). I, for one, would have rather seen the SoCon look towards someone like South Carolina for membership, rather than Samford.

All that being said, I think Appalachian State and South Carolina State would be an outstanding matchup, wherever it was played. I would love to see that game occur. A home and home would be great. It would be nice to play in Boone when the leaves are at their peak in colors. The APP fans would enjoy Edisto Gardens,Lakes Marion and Moultrie,the Edisto River and the great SCSU tailgating.xbeerchugx

dbackjon
March 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
To illustrate how Football is king in the south I'd bet any amount of money that if the Braves had a home playoff game and the GA Bulldogs had a home Football game starting at the same time the Football game would be a guaranteed sellout. The Braves probably would have 3-5,000 empty seats. The ATL area sports bars would be full of folks watching the UGA regular season game and glancing at the Braves during Football timeouts,halftime and perhaps the 9th inning. Rutgers wouldn't get a TV on in a sports bar during a Yankee or Mets playoff game.

And then the NY papers would be all over Atlanta fans about how bad they are, that Atlanta is a bad sports town...

KAUMASS
March 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I just posted a reply for this twit on his site and told him the only lackluster thing about FCS was his reporting. Fire some shots across his bow gentlemen!!

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM
BTW,Mr C I hope that there's a possibilty that the SoCon would entertain SCSU and possibly A&T if the MEAC foregoes the playoffs in the next couple of years. Somehow I get the feeling that we won't be the only party interested in leaving if this unwise decision is made.

Bulldog87
March 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
And then the NY papers would be all over Atlanta fans about how bad they are, that Atlanta is a bad sports town... The NY papers would be right. I've been a Braves fan since 1969. It's sad to see so many empty seats in a stadium during a playoff game. I've seen more Mets,Cubs and Cardinal fans at games in Atlanta than Braves fans. This was even when the Braves were winning back in the 90's. It was far worse in the 70's when I was a kid. Even with Aaron,Matthews,Evans and Niekro I've seen games vs the "Big Red Machine" Dodgers,Pirates,etc..with crowds less than 10,000. Sad.

Cap'n Cat
March 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I agree with DFW HOYA, ralphie and Mr. C.

We need to be happy with our place in the football world. Besides scribes such as this fellow, azzholes at GSU, YSU and other places posting "GSU to I-A" signs at home games or the old "Youngstown to the MAC" sheeit do us the greatest disservice of all.

Continue to love your team and your division. Ignore the Philistines (q.v.).

May God bless you and may God bless the University of Northern Iowa.

Thank you,

Cap'n Cat

http://captain-america.us/images/fanart/american_flag.jpg

proasu89
March 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
App State would schedule a team like that (particularly Grambling or Southern) in a heartbeat. Right now, with two games still left to fill on their schedule, the Mountaineers would play just about ANY FCS team.
Even Mighty San Diegoxsmiley_wix

Mr. C
March 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM

and hard for Midwesterners to understand too (and I live in Chicagoland).

And hard for us Westerners, who have transplanted to the South, to understand as well.

Fresno St. Alum
March 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I like FCS's brand of football, at least they have a real champion. I hear how the athletes are slower, not as exciting, blah blah blah. Yeah 41-14 championship game real freakin exciting. FBS athletes are slower than my favorite brand of football, the NFL and I still watch it. FCS is fun to watch.

Cap'n Cat
March 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I like FCS's brand of football, at least they have a real champion. I hear how the athletes are slower, not as exciting, blah blah blah. Yeah 41-14 championship game real freakin exciting. FBS athletes are slower than my favorite brand of football, the NFL and I still watch it. FCS is fun to watch.

So's yer gram mama.

xeyebrowx

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM
So does that cement headstone excite you.

Cap'n Cat
March 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM
So does that cement headstone excite you.

No, that's your mom.

xwhistlex

Fresno St. Alum
March 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Aren't you one of the 2 dudes with your ugly mug on the front of the AGS board last month.

JALMOND
March 21st, 2007, 04:07 AM
I think our overall perceptions are skewed by other factors in the areas that we live in and where our teams are located. I spent 20 years of my life in Montana and both the Cats and the Griz were given the bulk of the coverage in all the local papers. Why is that? Because, during the football season, the only other things to do (really) is see a high school game or go hunting. The Frontier Conference, made up of all Montana schools, always received second billing from the Cats and Griz and the rest of the Big Sky Conference. There is no other competition in Montana for the Big Sky Conference. The BSC reigns supreme.

Then I came to Portland. Within four hours (roughly the same time to get from Bozeman to most points in eastern Montana) from Portland, you can get to three Pac-10 programs (and pretty dang good ones at that). Also, football season brings the Seahawks of the NFL. Pre-season for the Blazers is going on. Portland State coverage is delegated to page 7 of the sports section, not because of "lackluster" football, but fan interest is not there. Following Portland State in Portland is really no different that following the Frontier Conference in Montana. Griz and Cat fans, how much of Montana Tech and Rocky Mountain football do you really know?

My take is this, yes all the local media outlets in all FCS cities could do a much better job in letting the population know about FCS teams and schools. But each school is different, depending on where they are as to how big of a draw they will be. I do not see Portland State athletics ever being as big in Portland as the Cats and Griz are in Montana, and I think it is unfair to think that they will be someday. All I hope to see is that the Portland media and population recognize that PSU plays a very good brand of football and is competitive in a very strong FCS conference. The Ducks will always be king in Portland and the Beavers will be running a close second. But I know that there is a niche there for Viking football, if the people know about it. All the media here has to do is give Viking football a chance, and, from what I saw with the hiring of Glanville, this finally is beginning to happen.

HIU 93
March 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
I sent Mr. Marcus this response-

Mr. Marcus-

I find your article of March 16, 2007 to be insulting, derisive, misleading, and quite frankly, not factual. For many years, the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Div. I-AA) and other lower divisions have been castigated by the mainstream media as second class. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lower division football teams (FCS, Div. II, and Div. III) have produced the two winningest coaches in football history- John Gagliardi at St. John's University (Minnesota) and the legendary Eddie Robinson at Grambling State. Steve McNair, Ronald Bartell, Antoine Bethea, Rashean Mathis, Robert Mathis, Jerome Mathis, Ryan Diem, Nick Harper, Dominic Rhodes, Brandon Stokely, Adam Vinatieri, Bart Scott, Danieal Manning, Dante Wesley, Michael Strahan, Brandon Jacobs, Chantric (Chuck) Darby, and Marques Colston are just a FEW of the players from lower division schools that have made significant contributions to the NFL THIS year. Hampton University sent FIVE players to the NFL combine a few weeks ago. That was more than Southern Cal, three Big ten schools, and two SEC schools combined. It also represented the largest contingent ever from a non- Div. I-A school. Just so you understand how significant this is, Hampton lost in the FIRST round onf the FCS Playoffs. It also bears mentioning that Walter Payton and Jerry Rice both played at lower division schools.

What does all this mean? It means simply that your assumption about FCS and other lower division football has no basis in fact and is indicative of your laziness and ineptitude when it comes to completely researching a topic.

Good day.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
My take is this, yes all the local media outlets in all FCS cities could do a much better job in letting the population know about FCS teams and schools. But each school is different, depending on where they are as to how big of a draw they will be. I do not see Portland State athletics ever being as big in Portland as the Cats and Griz are in Montana, and I think it is unfair to think that they will be someday. All I hope to see is that the Portland media and population recognize that PSU plays a very good brand of football and is competitive in a very strong FCS conference. The Ducks will always be king in Portland and the Beavers will be running a close second. But I know that there is a niche there for Viking football, if the people know about it. All the media here has to do is give Viking football a chance, and, from what I saw with the hiring of Glanville, this finally is beginning to happen.

I agree that all schools are different. In the case of Portland State a big problem is a lack of regional rivals in the conference. You'd probably have to say that PSU's biggest rival is Montana (like the rest of the Big Sky). For all their faults, FBS Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State play each other three times a year and at least two of those could be considered "rivalries". All four schools are closer than the closest FCS school.

But I agree that getting Glanville is a great move for PSU, who instantly gives the Vikings some national attention. Already I'm circling those games against McNeese State and Montana on the calendar - those should be fun to watch!

Veering back on topic, you illustrate that every city is different, and what works for PSU may not work for Sacramento State, Hofstra, or some other situation. Would hiring a big-time coach help Hofstra? I don't think it would have the same impact as it already has at PSU. Again, I point to the development of local rivalries, excellence at the national level, and a positive game experience. As jaded as we are sometimes around here, a #1 ranking in the USA Today and Sports Network still does make people take notice.

I've always felt that a Hofstra, Columbia, and Fordham should play each other every year. And a "Pataki Trophy", properly marketed, going to the best FCS program in the NYC area, could be a hit. (If one of those three isn't interested, ask Wagner or Stony Brook to take their place.) Unfortunately I don't think any of the programs in the area understand what that could mean for their programs or FCS football in general. (Trust me, I know - I went to a "Liberty Cup" game between Fordham and Columbia that couldn't have been more covert.)

Bottom line, it requires presidents, ADs, and SIDs that can think outside the box.