PDA

View Full Version : What's up with........

flexbone
March 16th, 2007, 10:37 AM
all these conferences having members that don't participate in all 3 of the BIG 3 sports - Football, Basketball, & Baseball? I don't understand why they don't make it mandatory. Anyone with some insight? Not jut in FBS but also FCS conferences as well. SoCon, my conference is guilty too, should make Davidson, for example play in the SoCon. Look at the Big East - Sun Belt - etc.. It looks more like the rule then the exception!

FargoBison
March 16th, 2007, 10:45 AM
all these conferences having members that don't participate in all 3 of the BIG 3 sports - Football, Basketball, & Baseball? I don't understand why they don't make it mandatory. Anyone with some insight? Not jut in FBS but also FCS conferences as well. SoCon, my conference is guilty too, should make Davidson, for example play in the SoCon. Look at the Big East - Sun Belt - etc.. It looks more like the rule then the exception!

Title IX can screw things up, I think U of South Dakota dropped their baseball program because of it a few years ago. I am glad NDSU has the 3 main sports but the winters up here make baseball tough and that is why some of the northern schools don't have it.

GannonFan
March 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm not going to sacrifice being in a good basketball conference (the CAA) just because not everybody plays football. It's nice having a competitive league and the George Mason's and VCU's of the conference are fun to play. Not to mention hated Drexel - UD's basketball equivalent of the equally hated nova football team. I didn't shed a tear when the Dragons got left out of the tournament! :p

GannonFan
March 16th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Title XIIII can screw things up, I think U of South Dakota dropped their baseball program because of it a few years ago. I am glad NDSU has the 3 main sports but the winters up here make baseball tough and that is why some of the northern schools don't have it.

What the heck is Title 14? And in the Roman it should be written as XIV. xlolx

flexbone
March 16th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I guess i'm biased to the football side of it, but it makes it hard for me to believe a conference like the BIG EAST is excited to have Notre Dame, for instance, in their Basketball conference but not in their Football conference.

GannonFan
March 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I guess i'm biased to the football side of it, but it makes it hard for me to believe a conference like the BIG EAST is excited to have Notre Dame, for instance, in their Basketball conference but not in their Football conference.

Well, they can't have the football side of it so they took what they could. I don't think the Big East is really lamenting their basketball status right now, things are good in Big East land.

Pauly LB
March 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
There is a need for a title fourteen to undo with title nine did...

NE MT GRIZZ
March 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Title XIIII can screw things up, I think U of South Dakota dropped their baseball program because of it a few years ago. I am glad NDSU has the 3 main sports but the winters up here make baseball tough and that is why some of the northern schools don't have it.

When they built the dome, was it ever discussed to make it big enough for baseball. I wouldn't think it would have cost that much more.

BearsCountry
March 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I think for FCS purposes and 9 is the perfect number for football and 10 is perfect for all-sports. Add 2 more and 12 gives you wiggle room in case other for other sports.

flexbone
March 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I started this post kinda outta all the coference realignment posts. I know most of it is just talk among people without any true basis or true understanding of the ramifications. But when you look deeper you see just how difficult it is to make a switch. Useing the BIG EAST as an example a couple of years ago everybody was calling for them to add new members to the football side of it because the conference only had 8, the lowest of all BCS conferences, and they weren't doing enoough, beating good teams, to warrant BCS status - but if you looked at it from a basketball standpoint they are at 16, probably too many. I think it is a slap in the face for Notre Dame to NOT want to be a member of the football side but NEED to be a member of the basketball conference.

FargoBison
March 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM
What the heck is Title 14? And in the Roman it should be written as XIV. xlolx

I don't know what I was thinking there, I guess it shows how much attention I paid to my High School Latin teacher. xlolx xlolx

poly51
March 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Title IX killed football in most California schools. All the schools on the Big West used to have football. Now only Cal Poly does. In fact the only far western confrences that have football are the Pac 10 and the Big Sky. And the Big Sky does not have baseball.

FargoBison
March 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
When they built the dome, was it ever discussed to make it big enough for baseball. I wouldn't think it would have cost that much more.

I don't think it was ever planned since Fargo didn't really have a team that drew that many fans. I could be wrong though because I know the dome was orginally supposed to be more like the metrodome.

poly51
March 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I started this post kinda outta all the coference realignment posts. I know most of it is just talk among people without any true basis or true understanding of the ramifications. But when you look deeper you see just how difficult it is to make a switch. Useing the BIG EAST as an example a couple of years ago everybody was calling for them to add new members to the football side of it because the conference only had 8, the lowest of all BCS conferences, and they weren't doing enoough, beating good teams, to warrant BCS status - but if you looked at it from a basketball standpoint they are at 16, probably too many. I think it is a slap in the face for Notre Dame to NOT want to be a member of the football side but NEED to be a member of the basketball conference.

Notre Dame has too many big money games to play in the Big East. Would you want to play Louiville, Rutgers and Cincinnati or Michigan, Southern Cal and Stanford.

andy7171
March 16th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Notre Dame has too many big money games to play in the Big East. Would you want to play Louiville, Rutgers and Cincinnati or Michigan, Southern Cal and Stanford.
Not to mention their own TV contract. Why would they want to split that money up? ND football will always be an independant. besides the Southern Cal, Michigan and Stanford rivalries they history playing the 3 academies goes way back too. Thats 6 schedule locks, hard to force a league schedule in there.

flexbone
March 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Exactly my point, Kind of the tail wagging the dog. I will play for your basketball confernce bc I Need you - But as far as Football - SORRY BIG EAST can't return the favor.

poly51
March 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Exactly my point, Kind of the tail wagging the dog. I will play for your basketball confernce bc I Need you - But as far as Football - SORRY BIG EAST can't return the favor.

They would give up the Big East for other sports before they would jeoprodize their football program. The football program probably pays for all the rest. The Big East needs them more than they need the Big East.

GannonFan
March 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Not to mention their own TV contract. Why would they want to split that money up? ND football will always be an independant. besides the Southern Cal, Michigan and Stanford rivalries they history playing the 3 academies goes way back too. Thats 6 schedule locks, hard to force a league schedule in there.

Actually, Navy is the only one they play every year. They play Air Force quite a bit, but it's not every year, and they play Army even less. Maybe 1 out of every 10 years they play all 3 in the same season (like last year). Michigan also isn't a lock, but of course, it's played quite a lot. I think only Stanford, USC, and Navy are the locks.

mcveyrl
March 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm not going to sacrifice being in a good basketball conference (the CAA) just because not everybody plays football. It's nice having a competitive league and the George Mason's and VCU's of the conference are fun to play. Not to mention hated Drexel - UD's basketball equivalent of the equally hated nova football team. I didn't shed a tear when the Dragons got left out of the tournament! :p

No matter how much I hate a team in our conference, I want as many as can to make the tournament. That way when JMU finishes 1-109 I can say "Hey, the CAA is a tough conference."xlolx xlolx

greenG
March 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
They would give up the Big East for other sports before they would jeoprodize their football program. The football program probably pays for all the rest. The Big East needs them more than they need the Big East.
For years before their arrangement with the Big East, ND played all sports except football and basketball in the old Midwestern Collegiate Conference (currently the Horizon League) so the arrangement with the BE isn't unusual. If the arrangement with the BE ever went south ND could find another league that would take their non-football sports in a minute (CUSA or the A-10 come to mind).

DFW HOYA
March 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
ND stays as an independent--everyone knows this. The Big East knew what it was getting.

So here's the rundown: ten Big East schools play football, basketball, and baseball: seven in the conference (Cinc, UConn, Louisville, Pitt, Rutgers, South Florida, West Virginia), three with football outside it (ND, Georgetown, Villanova)

One school plays football and basketball but no baseball (Syracuse).

Two schools play basketball and baseball, but no football (St. John's, Seton Hall)

Three play basketball, but not football or baseball (Providence, Marquette, DePaul)

Got that? :)

NE MT GRIZZ
March 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't think it was ever planned since Fargo didn't really have a team that drew that many fans. I could be wrong though because I know the dome was orginally supposed to be more like the metrodome.

Thats too bad with all the college teams in NODAK.
I played baseball for Jamestown and we had a two-week break between our FLorida trip and our home opener.

If the dome was big enough, it would be scheduled nonstop from Feb 1st through the end of March. UND, NDSU, all the NAIA and JUCO programs could add 20 games to their schedule by playing in a dome.