PDA

View Full Version : Conference Realignment Talk - AppSt, UTC, Others

TexasTerror
March 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Message board talk is heightening about the next wave of conference realignment.

Current talk involves East Carolina, Southern Miss, UAB and Marshall starting a new all-sports conference. Apparently, ECU has already told C-USA that they are considering leaving the conference. This all comes from what many see as the re-emergence of a 'Southwest Conference' this time including the Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana schools in C-USA.

How does this impact FCS? The two schools mentioned in some of the postings about joining the four aforementioned schools in this new conference include Tennessee-Chattanooga and Appalachian State. Others include former FCS programs Troy, Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as "geographically-appropriate" schools in the MAC.

Now, this could start a domino-effect, especially if the Sun Belt schools (FAU, Troy and FIU) are involved. The Sun Belt would need to fill it's coffers. Texas State - San Marcos had a move to FBS/Div I-A foiled a few years ago and their fan base is clamoring to move up. Lamar, an institution in the SLC looking at football, has a fan base that wants to move up as well. Those "in the know" also think the institution wants out of the SLC at the first chance they get.

As the post concludes, "if there are eight schools willing to make the move it could be sooner rather than later."

Thoughts? Anyone from Chatty or Appy know anything? Fans from within the areas around some of those FBS schools hear anything?

From the Big East boards...
http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/bigeast/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23252&start=0

Cocky
March 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM
You can now add us to the list of potential movers. With the Samford move, JSU will look hard at FBS.

Mountaineer#96
March 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
ASU won't be going anywhere for at least 4 years.

TexasTerror
March 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
You can now add us to the list of potential movers. With the Samford move, JSU will look hard at FBS.

You think JSU would end up in the 'new' Sun Belt? Or are there other possibilities?

The Moody1
March 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
ASU won't be going anywhere for at least 4 years.

Did you hear that from Charlie Cobb or Dr. Peacock, or is that just your opinion? Either way, a two to four year timetable for starting a new conference is probably necessary.

BearsCountry
March 15th, 2007, 11:14 AM
The Texas schools plus Tulsa combined with some of the Gateway members could be a nice conference.

TheRiver
March 15th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Texas State owns the rights to the name 'Southwest Conference'.

TexasTerror
March 15th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Texas State owns the rights to the name 'Southwest Conference'.

Isn't that not exactly true? Seems even the TXST faithful have batted around the subject several times amongst themselves...is it an alum that holds the name? What's the deal?

TheRiver
March 15th, 2007, 11:22 AM
No the University owns it now.

MarkCCU
March 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I haven't heard much about any other realignment talk other than Expansion of the SOCON. That's been discussed to the ends on this board.

Cocky
March 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM
You think JSU would end up in the 'new' Sun Belt? Or are there other possibilities?

The Sun-Belt or independent would be our only choices. We could get into any other existing leagues. If we moved I would hope for a new league, but that has been discussed to death on all the possibilities.

Shockerman
March 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Just to make one thing clear, The old Big 8 schools will not be breaking apart, that includes OU. It is possible that Tech, A&M and UT could be looking elsewhere but I highly doubt it. Look at the success Tech and UT have experienced in the Big 12. The only school that has struggled is A&M which probably has more to do with Slocum (sp) leaving than anything. The big 12 will not be affected by BCS fallout. IMO, the only significant change that may come about is Baylor getting nixed for Arkansas. This would be a possitive move as then Baylor could head to the MWC and the SEC would have to decide between Memphis, Southern miss, or Central Florida. Its hard to imagine they would want any those in the Football powerhouse known as the SEC.

By the Way, I love conference Speculation.

rufus
March 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I've heard some rumblings of JMU being in conference talks with App State, ECU, and Marshall and some other regional schools. At this point I don't think any of this conference reallignment talk is any more than message board chatter.

We should know alittle more about JMU's future plans when we release our stadium expansion plan in April or May. If the plan is nothing more than a new press box and expansion to 20k seats, then I would take it as a sign that JMU plans to stick with the CAA for the near future. If the plan calls for 30k+ seats, I'll take it as a pretty good sign that a move to FBS is on the horizon. I've heard everything from 20k seats to a phased expansion to 50k seats. We'll see.

Shockerman
March 15th, 2007, 11:58 AM
The Texas schools plus Tulsa combined with some of the Gateway members could be a nice conference.

If this scenario came about, I would bet the farm that the Shockers would be involved. The #1 thing that is holding WSU back from getting a Football team is that most of the alumni want to return to FBS where the program used to be. There is no FCS schools in Kansas so most alumni don't know much about it and thus consider it inferior by default. We are always scared of what we don't know. If Mo-State, SIU, Illinois State were leaving the Valley for the new SWC to join up with the likes of Tulsa and Texas State, Houston, SMU and Rice it would be a dream come true.

With that said, I just hope that the Shox can get Football started before the Big East fallout and play in the Gateway were we belong. I would give anything to watch us hand Mo-State their collective asses on a fall day at Cessna stadium.

CollegeSportsInfo
March 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Message board talk is heightening about the next wave of conference realignment.

Current talk involves East Carolina, Southern Miss, UAB and Marshall starting a new all-sports conference. Apparently, ECU has already told C-USA that they are considering leaving the conference. This all comes from what many see as the re-emergence of a 'Southwest Conference' this time including the Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana schools in C-USA.

How does this impact FCS? The two schools mentioned in some of the postings about joining the four aforementioned schools in this new conference include Tennessee-Chattanooga and Appalachian State. Others include former FCS programs Troy, Florida Atlantic and Florida International as well as "geographically-appropriate" schools in the MAC.

Now, this could start a domino-effect, especially if the Sun Belt schools (FAU, Troy and FIU) are involved. The Sun Belt would need to fill it's coffers. Texas State - San Marcos had a move to FBS/Div I-A foiled a few years ago and their fan base is clamoring to move up. Lamar, an institution in the SLC looking at football, has a fan base that wants to move up as well. Those "in the know" also think the institution wants out of the SLC at the first chance they get.

As the post concludes, "if there are eight schools willing to make the move it could be sooner rather than later."

Thoughts? Anyone from Chatty or Appy know anything? Fans from within the areas around some of those FBS schools hear anything?

From the Big East boards...
http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/bigeast/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23252&start=0

This has been rumbling around for some time, especially with "talk" that the Big East will eventually invite Memphis in 2012. The issue with a new conference is in regards to two things:

1) the issues surrounding the BCS and exclusion from the BCS a lock with a split...2 subpar conferences instead of the best being in one.
2) Mandate on autobids for NCAA basketball. If the NCAA expands the tournament it would be int he best interest of the members schools...as they could start to better align themselves into new conferences that are a better fit.

TheRiver
March 15th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Baylor is the hinge to the new 'Southwest Conference' when Baylor comes look for Houston, UT El paso, North Texas, SMU and Texas State.

Don't look for TECH, OU or UT to go anywhere they are the Big 12.

DFW HOYA
March 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
This has been rumbling around for some time, especially with "talk" that the Big East will eventually invite Memphis in 2012.

The votes aren't there. Even including all eight BE football schools, Memphis would still need four more votes from a group including Notre Dame Georgetown, Villanova, and the five non-football schools (St., John's, Providence, Seton hall, DePaul, and Marquette).

aceinthehole
March 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I know a lot of people think the BE break up is still going to happen, but I just don't know.

I think the 8 non-FB schools (including those in FCS) like and need the basketball setup with the FB schools. They hoops TV contract is lucurative even split 16 ways. They only sticking point is 4 teams each year don't make it to MSG - that is a huge problem.

The 8 FB schools want to strenghten their conference, but are they willing to jettison the hoops programs like G-town, Nova, StJ, etc? It would weaken their basketball for sure. and other than Memphis, who else is really an asset to them?

So many questions, I don't think anyone know what each school really thinks or wants. What is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and FORCES a change in the BE?

youwouldno
March 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
There's always message board chatter. Probably not a whole lot of real substance though. Fans are particularly ignorant of the financial issues involved in collegiate athletics that make mass realignments unfeasible.

chattanoogamocs
March 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I agree in general, but, at some point a new conference or two will have to form...if not, all the conferences (FCS and FBS) are going to end up with 16 teams. With continued yearly move ups, there is only so much room (that is how we got the Mtn West and C-USA).

BearsCountry
March 15th, 2007, 01:28 PM
If this scenario came about, I would bet the farm that the Shockers would be involved. The #1 thing that is holding WSU back from getting a Football team is that most of the alumni want to return to FBS where the program used to be. There is no FCS schools in Kansas so most alumni don't know much about it and thus consider it inferior by default. We are always scared of what we don't know. If Mo-State, SIU, Illinois State were leaving the Valley for the new SWC to join up with the likes of Tulsa and Texas State, Houston, SMU and Rice it would be a dream come true.

With that said, I just hope that the Shox can get Football started before the Big East fallout and play in the Gateway were we belong. I would give anything to watch us hand Mo-State their collective asses on a fall day at Cessna stadium.

I would love a confernce of:
Missouri State
Wichita State
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
UNI
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Rice
UTEP

aztecjim
March 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
The Big East will split in half. At least for men's basketball. They were the brunt of the criticism about conferences playing unbalanced schedules. Second I do see a new "East Coast Conference" with East Carolina,South Florida,Marshall, and Central Florida,hooking up with Army,Navy,Temple and an 8th and/or 9th needed. Southern Miss? UAB? Buffalo? App State?

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Which is going to happen first? BE break or the C-USA split? If C-USA split the SW side would have
SWC
Rice
SMU
UTEP
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa
N.Texas*
Louisiana Tech*
New Mexico St.*

C-USA
Memphis
C.Florida
E.Carolina
Marshall
UAB
S.Miss.
Troy*
FIU*
FAU*

SBC
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
Arkansas St.
MTSU
W.Kentucky
App. St.*
Chattanooga*
Lamar*
Texas St.*
UALR
UNO
S.Alabama
Denver(yikes midcon looks better everyday)

Is gonna look something like that? La Tech has to jump on that new conference, NMSU is real close to UTEP, could see them wanting out.

WAC adds UCD & Sac St.
I'd love to see all of this happen, don't if it ever will though

PantherRob82
March 15th, 2007, 06:39 PM

No thanks.

TexasTerror
March 15th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I would love a C-USA split...

New SWC would be...

SWC
Rice
SMU
UTEP
Houston
Tulane
Tulsa

Joining from outside C-USA...Louisiana Tech, North Texas.

This would be a TX, LA and OK league. All the schools have football and I do not think they add New Mexico St, because it doesn't really add much to the league or fit the shell that they are looking to do.

I could see this conference adding a Arkansas State because it adds Arkansas to the mix...but unless UALR adds football (which I don't see coming), I don't see them adding anyone. Just don't view ULM and ULL as attractive additions to this conference...

MplsBison
March 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM
This is a complex plot here, man.

Lots of ins. Lots of outs.

I didn't realize that the CUSA was instable at all.

Perhaps it's more likely than the impending BE split.

Which will happen, btw.

Coupled with last year, this year's selection for the tournament has proven to the BE schools that a 16 team conference, no matter how powerful, will not be given any extra consideration than a 12 team conference just because they have more teams. And on top of that, the committee looks down on conference teams not playing everyone in the conference.

TexasTerror
March 15th, 2007, 08:29 PM
A post I made on KatFans.com...

North Dakota St and South Dakota State were recently announced as members of the Gateway Conference. A few months ago, they were added to the Mid-Continent Conference...

The Great West Football Conference is down to Cal Poly, UC-Davis and Southern Utah in 2008 following the depature of North Dakota St and South Dakota St. Rumors are circulating about which teams could be headed to the GWFC, possibly San Diego from the Pioneer League and who else? The Commish continually mentions two teams outside of North Dakota and South Dakota who will be added down the road to replace their in-state rivals.

Samford just announced that they will become a member of the Southern Conference in time for the 2008 football season leaving behind the Ohio Valley Conference to become the 12th member of the SoCon...

There's increasing talk about East Carolina wanting out of Conference USA. Marshall's name tends to be tied to East Carolina as a recent message board post that has been making the rounds says that C-USA could split with Tulsa and Tulane joining the Texas schools. Could what amounts to a 'new' Southwest Conference raid the Sun Belt? Would the Sun Belt in turn look to the Southland?

What about the Big East? There's obviously a divide between the football and non-football schools. The sixteen teams in the Big East did not help the conference's stature as a basketball conference and there's some great games which could not occur due to the large format. I know those four institutions that did not go to the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden weren't that thrilled...could the Big East split?

More Div IIs on way up? Who is next? Presbyterian is going to the Big South. Winston Salem State has been added to the MEAC. North Carolina Central could soon join WSSU in the MEAC. South Carolina - Upstate is going to the Atlantic Sun. I sure have seen Dixie State's name mentioned a bit. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Delta State moving up!

Who will add football? The Southland has their fair share of non-football schools who are examining football including A&M-Corpus Christi and UT-San Antonio. What about Lamar? They talk the pigskin as well.

Elsewhere, Old Dominion is bringing football to the field and East Tennessee State is moving fast to bring back football themselves. Could UT-Arlington join them? What about the return of Wichita State? Is Utah Valley State interested in adding football? And where would you put UNC-Charlotte (they prefer to go by 'Charlotte') as a football school? UNC-Wilmington, could they add it as well?

The huge realignment is coming. I do not think it is going to involve the 'majors' as much outside of a possible Big East shake-up that could rattle C-USA and the MAC, then working it's way to the Sun Belt, WAC and Southland conferences...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39065

Mountaineer#96
March 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Did you hear that from Charlie Cobb or Dr. Peacock, or is that just your opinion? Either way, a two to four year timetable for starting a new conference is probably necessary.

I have stayed in touch with some of my old contacts within the front office and football team, and this is the general feeling. With the new additions to the stadium and such the program would need about 4 years for a possible jump.

Mountaineer#96
March 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
ASU, Marshall, ECU, MTSU, UT-Chatty, Memphis, Southern Miss, UAB and maybe GSU or Troy State in there ........would be a nice competitive football conference. Some old renewed rivals in there in ASU vs Marshall, MTSU vs UT-C, and ECU vs. ASU every year looks like a fun one.

Mountaineer#96
March 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
This is a complex plot here, man.

Lots of ins. Lots of outs.

I didn't realize that the CUSA was instable at all.

Perhaps it's more likely than the impending BE split.

Which will happen, btw.

Coupled with last year, this year's selection for the tournament has proven to the BE schools that a 16 team conference, no matter how powerful, will not be given any extra consideration than a 12 team conference just because they have more teams. And on top of that, the committee looks down on conference teams not playing everyone in the conference.

C-USA is likely to most unstable conference in all of FBS. Everyone either wants out to move up, or make things for financially feasible. Its all about $$$$

DFW HOYA
March 15th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Some of these posts above are simply what-ifs. For example:

1. New SWC. There's no talk of this. These schools can't draw in C-USA and downsizing to eight won't help things either. Neither will they bring in SLC or Sun Belt teams, either--that crowd has no interest in the UNT's of the world playing alongside them. And Baylor or TCU isn't coming back, either.

2. C-USA. Why would Memphis want FAU or FIU? Memphis does not want a Sun Belt Lite conference.

3. The Sun Belt will always be a home for the I-A incubators, but none seem to go beyond that.

4. Stop worrying about the Big East. Fan grumbling aside, it's working. And if you finish 15th in the league, you probably don't deserve to go to the tournament in the first place.

5. As for I-AA, there will always be some movement, but I-AA seems to be going in different directions: some want to move up, some don't, some fit in their league, some don't.

MplsBison
March 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Fan grumbling aside, it's working. And if you finish 15th in the league, you probably don't deserve to go to the tournament in the first place.

Oh yeah, real hard to say as a GTown fan.

Why don't you ask Syracuse about how well the BE is working.

Or Cincy last year.

Working my butt.

The split is inevitable.

BigApp
March 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
with the deal Chattanooga just swung to get mighty Samford in the SoCon, I doubt they would be looking to leave so soon.

Unfortunately, I used to believe otherwise, until today.

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
If the BE splits

BE
W.Virginia
Syracuse
UConn
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Louisville
S.Florida
C.Florida*(nice travel partner for S.Fla)
Memphis*

NEW Conf.
East
Georgetown
Villanova
Seton Hall
St. John's
Providence
UMass*
West
DePaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Xavier*
Dayton*
Butler*

Does that look about right? I like it I hope it happens.

A-10 adds Albany

Fresno St. Alum
March 15th, 2007, 11:55 PM
A post I made on KatFans.com...

North Dakota St and South Dakota State were recently announced as members of the Gateway Conference. A few months ago, they were added to the Mid-Continent Conference...

The Great West Football Conference is down to Cal Poly, UC-Davis and Southern Utah in 2008 following the depature of North Dakota St and South Dakota St. Rumors are circulating about which teams could be headed to the GWFC, possibly San Diego from the Pioneer League and who else? The Commish continually mentions two teams outside of North Dakota and South Dakota who will be added down the road to replace their in-state rivals.

Samford just announced that they will become a member of the Southern Conference in time for the 2008 football season leaving behind the Ohio Valley Conference to become the 12th member of the SoCon...

There's increasing talk about East Carolina wanting out of Conference USA. Marshall's name tends to be tied to East Carolina as a recent message board post that has been making the rounds says that C-USA could split with Tulsa and Tulane joining the Texas schools. Could what amounts to a 'new' Southwest Conference raid the Sun Belt? Would the Sun Belt in turn look to the Southland?

What about the Big East? There's obviously a divide between the football and non-football schools. The sixteen teams in the Big East did not help the conference's stature as a basketball conference and there's some great games which could not occur due to the large format. I know those four institutions that did not go to the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden weren't that thrilled...could the Big East split?

More Div IIs on way up? Who is next? Presbyterian is going to the Big South. Winston Salem State has been added to the MEAC. North Carolina Central could soon join WSSU in the MEAC. South Carolina - Upstate is going to the Atlantic Sun. I sure have seen Dixie State's name mentioned a bit. Then again, I'm a huge fan of Delta State moving up!

Who will add football? The Southland has their fair share of non-football schools who are examining football including A&M-Corpus Christi and UT-San Antonio. What about Lamar? They talk the pigskin as well.

Elsewhere, Old Dominion is bringing football to the field and East Tennessee State is moving fast to bring back football themselves. Could UT-Arlington join them? What about the return of Wichita State? Is Utah Valley State interested in adding football? And where would you put UNC-Charlotte (they prefer to go by 'Charlotte') as a football school? UNC-Wilmington, could they add it as well?

The huge realignment is coming. I do not think it is going to involve the 'majors' as much outside of a possible Big East shake-up that could rattle C-USA and the MAC, then working it's way to the Sun Belt, WAC and Southland conferences...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39065

TT, you forgot FGCU and SIUE. I know you love Delta St. but there is no news of them moving up anytime soon.xsmhx Next on the rumor list of move ups are N.Kentucky, Bellarmine, Wayne St.(MI), Oklahoma City, and Minnesota St. if they get rejected by the NSIC.

DFW HOYA
March 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Oh yeah, real hard to say as a GTown fan.
Why don't you ask Syracuse about how well the BE is working.

Syracuse's problem is not the Big East, it's a non-conference schedule that doesn't leave the state until early January:

St. Francis, NY: Carrier Dome
Penn: Carrier Dome
UTEP: Carrier Dome
Northeastern: Carrier Dome
Charlotte: Carrier Dome
Canisius: Buffalo
Holy Cross: Carrier Dome
Wichita State: Carrier Dome
Oklahoma State: New York City
Colgate: Carrier Dome
Baylor: Carrier Dome
Drexel: Carrier Dome
Hofstra: Carrier Dome
St. Bonaventure: Carrier Dome

In the last two years, Georgetown has played at Duke, at Vanderbilt, at Oregon, and at Michigan, as well as getting road games at James Madison and Navy, and will be at Old Dominion next year as well. Road games are a point of emphasis by the NCAA tournament committee and Syracuse has avoided them in recent years.

And FWIW, there will be no "Catholic League" for Georgetown or Villanova. You can't pay the bills for 28 sports playing St. Joe's at Verizon Center.

Col Hogan
March 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM
If the BE splits

BE
W.Virginia
Syracuse
UConn
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Cincinnati
Louisville
S.Florida
C.Florida*(nice travel partner for S.Fla)
Memphis*

NEW Conf.
East
Georgetown
Villanova
Seton Hall
St. John's
Providence
UMass*
West
DePaul
Marquette
Notre Dame
Xavier*
Dayton*
Butler*

Does that look about right? I like it I hope it happens.

A-10 adds Albany

xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedxxsmhx xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx

OK, I read this once, twice, three times...where does this ***** come from.

This board is an FCS football board. I understand there is discussion about schools moving up to FCS, and schools possibly moving up to FBS.

But, why are we discussing a possible basketball realignment here? You can't be talking football, since Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's in your proposed east, Xavier and Marquette in the proposed west, don't even have football.

Why would UMass want to be in a three team football division? If this is a basketball discussion, it needs to be in "Other Sports." If it's a football discussion, then it's not a very good one...

JaxSinfonian
March 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Back in 2000, Jacksonville State's old rival Troy State moved to I-A, leaving the Gamecocks geographically isolated in the old Southlad Football League, the only Alabama school in a conference to which they had no historic ties. Three years later, they joind the OVC along with another Alabama school, Samford.

Fast-forward to 2007. Samford leaves the OVC, and JSU is again geographically isolated, the only Alabama school on the roster of a league to which they have no real ties. I would be surprised and upset if officials at JSU aren't now scoping out their options. But are there any good ones?

The OVC office apparently saw this coming and tried to get UTC out of the SoCon before it happened. That didn't work, and the conference is now in a fix. It's going to have to find a replacement for Samford, but there are no obvious canddidates currently in FCS (though some have mentioned Western Illinois). That leaves move-ups and start-ups. Some fans here in the past have mentioned Northern Kentucky. Either of those schools would only serve to further isolate Jax State and get them looking for a new home.

West Georgia is rumored to be considering a D-I jump. They're an old foe of JSU's, and are just an hour from Jacksonville, but they would not raise the league's profile or level of competition. Kennesaw State, already D-I, is considering adding football. They're also a short drive from JSU, but a recent story in the AJC shows the AD there is thinking FBS. The perfect choice would be North Alabama, which has a strong history with JSU, and is within the conference's current footprint (Florence, on the Tennessee River, is actually in the Ohio Valley). The Lions, though, have eschewed all talk of Division I. Looks like there are no good options.

Likewise, JSU has limited choices in conference-shopping. There's no going back to the Southland, and we're geographically on the fringes of every other possible league. The only real fit would be the Southern Conference, which I'd be fine with. But the SoCon doesn't seem interested. I see ETSU and Coastal joining before we get in.

That leaves a move up to FBS, which makes me sick to my stomach. JSU still hasn't completely righted the ship from the poorly-planned move from D-II. Even the thought of playing Troy again can't attract me to the Sun Belt. Plus, I believe in the playoffs and abhor the bowls. I'd much rather be in Chattanooga celebrating a national championship the rest of the country is unaware of than in New Orleans for a bowl ... that the rest of the country is unaware of.

Unless the OVC adds UWG, KSU or UNA, look for Jax State to move out or move up in the next five years or so.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Road games are a point of emphasis by the NCAA tournament committee

But more importantly, and to the detriment of all BE teams regardless if they play a good road schedule, the committee puts large emphasis on a balenced conference schedule.

The BE will never be able to provide that as is.

And therefore, every year a BE team or 2 is going to be left out of the tournament that should've been in. Guaranteed.

The football schools won't put up with that for much longer.

Not when they're the ones bringing in the football money.

And FWIW, there will be no "Catholic League" for Georgetown or Villanova. You can't pay the bills for 28 sports playing St. Joe's at Verizon Center.

Neither of you will have a say in it unless you do a UConn.

And since it's highly doubtful that either of you will build new 40k stadiums, you'd have to Temple it in the local pro stadiums.

If you can't/won't make that kind of commitment, you simply won't be invited to the new BE football conference.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Back in 2000, Jacksonville State's old rival Troy State moved to I-A, leaving the Gamecocks geographically isolated in the old Southlad Football League, the only Alabama school in a conference to which they had no historic ties. Three years later, they joind the OVC along with another Alabama school, Samford.

Fast-forward to 2007. Samford leaves the OVC, and JSU is again geographically isolated, the only Alabama school on the roster of a league to which they have no real ties. I would be surprised and upset if officials at JSU aren't now scoping out their options. But are there any good ones?

The OVC office apparently saw this coming and tried to get UTC out of the SoCon before it happened. That didn't work, and the conference is now in a fix. It's going to have to find a replacement for Samford, but there are no obvious canddidates currently in FCS (though some have mentioned Western Illinois). That leaves move-ups and start-ups. Some fans here in the past have mentioned Northern Kentucky. Either of those schools would only serve to further isolate Jax State and get them looking for a new home.

West Georgia is rumored to be considering a D-I jump. They're an old foe of JSU's, and are just an hour from Jacksonville, but they would not raise the league's profile or level of competition. Kennesaw State, already D-I, is considering adding football. They're also a short drive from JSU, but a recent story in the AJC shows the AD there is thinking FBS. The perfect choice would be North Alabama, which has a strong history with JSU, and is within the conference's current footprint (Florence, on the Tennessee River, is actually in the Ohio Valley). The Lions, though, have eschewed all talk of Division I. Looks like there are no good options.

Likewise, JSU has limited choices in conference-shopping. There's no going back to the Southland, and we're geographically on the fringes of every other possible league. The only real fit would be the Southern Conference, which I'd be fine with. But the SoCon doesn't seem interested. I see ETSU and Coastal joining before we get in.

That leaves a move up to FBS, which makes me sick to my stomach. JSU still hasn't completely righted the ship from the poorly-planned move from D-II. Even the thought of playing Troy again can't attract me to the Sun Belt. Plus, I believe in the playoffs and abhor the bowls. I'd much rather be in Chattanooga celebrating a national championship the rest of the country is unaware of than in New Orleans for a bowl ... that the rest of the country is unaware of.

Unless the OVC adds UWG, KSU or UNA, look for Jax State to move out or move up in the next five years or so.

Is a move back to DII completely out of the question?

JaxSinfonian
March 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Is a move back to DII completely out of the question?

With plans in the works for a stadium expansion to 30,000 seats. I'd say it's out of the question.

Now, if North Dakota State was willing to move back down with us and repeat both the Bison's post-season losses to JSU ... I'd consider it. xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Great summary!

What's the latest on West Georgia and Kennesaw St's attempts to get football?

BearsCountry
March 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
North Alabama would be perfect for the OVC.

And West Georgia and Valdosta State would be nice for the Big South.

DFW HOYA
March 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
But more importantly, and to the detriment of all BE teams regardless if they play a good road schedule, the committee puts large emphasis on a balenced conference schedule. The BE will never be able to provide that as is. And therefore, every year a BE team or 2 is going to be left out of the tournament that should've been in. Guaranteed.

The Big East moves to an 18 game schedule next season. Each team plays the others at least once.

Neither of you will have a say in it unless you do a UConn. And since it's highly doubtful that either of you will build new 40k stadiums, you'd have to Temple it in the local pro stadiums. If you can't/won't make that kind of commitment, you simply won't be invited to the new BE football conference.

For all its faults, the Big East still makes a lot of money for the football schools and it's not certain an 8-9 team football conference would do any better with the network payouts, since a new league would, in theory, no longer include the New York, Philadelphia, or Washington TV markets for advertising purposes.

The football schools would lose their share of the NCAA basketball monies by starting a new conference, which wouldn't be the name "Big East", since that name would stay with the remaining schools. (At eight schools, the football schools can't vote out the other eight.) They would have to leave entirely (as the old WAC did in forming the Mountain West) to do so and Syracuse and UConn would be most resistant to do so.

Bottom line, ND will still remain an independent and the Big East leadership isn't pushing to get Georgetown and Villanova in the fold, so it's a stalemate as far as the 8 vs. 8 goes.

JaxSinfonian
March 16th, 2007, 01:22 PM
To put the OVC possibilities in perspective, here's a map with the league's remaining league football members, plus four of the schools I mentioned above: Kennesaw State, West Georgia, North Alabama and Northern Kentucky.

http://myweb.cableone.net/jax42/OVC.gif

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Nice graphic.

UNA, UWG or KSU would be good fits with JSU.

Another mentioned schoold, SIU-E (near St. Louis) is a non-football playing D-II thinking of moving up.

Lipscomb and Belmont, both in Nashville, would be perfect fits for the OVC if they wanted to add non-football members.

And of course, Morehead St, already in the OVC, plays non-schollie football.

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 01:38 PM
djp, this was a topic about conf. realignment with c-usa and the big east splitting with a few posts that have nothing to do with the fcs. pretty lame to just single me out. And a 3 team fb conference? what? UMass,Nova, and G'town would stay with FB affiliates.

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Jax, nice map, it really shows how things can fit conference wise. N.Alabama won't move up according to their people something about the D-II hall of fame or headquarters being there. I've heard rumors of W.Georgia, N.Kentucky, and Bellarmine moving up. Hope they move up to help you guys out.

Dback, SIUE is starting its D-I exploratory year this fall.

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the info on that.

Cocky
March 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Jax, nice map, it really shows how things can fit conference wise. N.Alabama won't move up according to their people something about the D-II hall of fame or headquarters being there. I've heard rumors of W.Georgia, N.Kentucky, and Bellarmine moving up. Hope they move up to help you guys out.

Florence is the host to the D-II National Championship game.

youwouldno
March 16th, 2007, 02:06 PM
The BE isn't breaking up anytime soon. And Troy should be case in point for why JSU shouldn't try to move up.

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
SIU-Edwardsville info...

Board Approves Div I Status:
http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/ACADEMIC/0607/022807.html

Chancellor's Recommendation:
http://www.siue.edu/news/archives/ArchivesJAN2007.shtml#DI

Final Report of Intercollegiate Athletic Task Force:
http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/TASKFORCE/

Reclassification Process:
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Joining_DI/Reclass

Q&A on Div I:
http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/d1/qanda.html

Cocky
March 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Jax has pretty much summed up JSU's picture. With the stadium expansion all but a go and the new scoreboard and other little hints, it appears our leadership is headed toward FBS. The 5 year timetable sounds reasonable.

GaSouthern
March 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
1 bad season and EVERYONE forgot about GSU and it's fan base pushing for I-A (though our AD is against it w/o a 25million $ donation.)

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Jax has pretty much summed up JSU's picture. With the stadium expansion all but a go and the new scoreboard and other little hints, it appears our leadership is headed toward FBS. The 5 year timetable sounds reasonable.

With desired membership in the SunBelt?

Cocky
March 16th, 2007, 02:27 PM
With desired membership in the SunBelt?

I would assume so. That is the only conference that might take us at this time. JSU or probably any other FCS team would have a tough time getting into any of the good FBS conferences. Villanova maybe able to get into the Big East but I can't think of too many exceptions.

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Article in Memphis Commercial Appeal talking about the 'wasteland' that is the C-USA...if they had a legitimate football program, they would be out of there and then the C-USA would raid the Sun Belt which would then raid the SLC and maybe the OVC...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports_columnists/article/0,1426,MCA_468_5402577,00.html

Col Hogan
March 16th, 2007, 03:58 PM
djp, this was a topic about conf. realignment with c-usa and the big east splitting with a few posts that have nothing to do with the fcs. pretty lame to just single me out. And a 3 team fb conference? what? UMass,Nova, and G'town would stay with FB affiliates.

I went back and re-read the posts, and my reply...and it was not my intention to single you out. I apologize for the tone xoopsx (I never should post before my second cup of coffee on a Friday morning).

Having said that, we already have a decent sports conference (A-10) with football in the CAA (again, outstanding competition). Why would UMass want to go to the BE without football. If we are to make a big switch, I think we would want an all-sports conference. And that's our big rub. Our hockey team, which is top flight, is in one conference...football in another...basketball in a third with the rest of our sports...it's a mess. Moving to BE does not help us, IMHO, especially in football.

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Its all hypothetical really, if I guessed the C-USA and BE break ups with all of the members falling into the right place exactly right, you guys would all be asking me for loto numbers every night. My reason for UMass was they'd stay CAA football and be in the new b-ball only schools from the big east conf. That would be a big upgrade from the A-10. Or I guess you guys could join the football BE schools if you went FBS, but I hear thats not happening.

Fresno St. Alum
March 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
TT, I like it. You put the facts to what I am to lazy to search and post.

SO ILLmatic
March 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
What about the possibility of a 2 division Sun Belt???

-First Division-
North Texas
LA-Lafayette
LA-Monroe
Arkansas St
Western KY
Jacksonville St

-Second Division-
Middle TN St
Troy
FAU
FIU
GA Southern
App. St

Seems like these are the FCS schools people are usually talking about when considering schools going to the FBS. Seems like a fit geographically and the addition of a championship game would give the conference more publicity.

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Seems like a fit geographically and the addition of a championship game would give the conference more publicity.

Because that's exactly what it has done for the SWAC, MAC and C-USA, right? xcoffeex

dbackjon
March 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM
What about the possibility of a 2 division Sun Belt???

-First Division-
North Texas
LA-Lafayette
LA-Monroe
Arkansas St
Western KY
Jacksonville St

-Second Division-
Middle TN St
Troy
FAU
FIU
GA Southern
App. St

Seems like these are the FCS schools people are usually talking about when considering schools going to the FBS. Seems like a fit geographically and the addition of a championship game would give the conference more publicity.

And where are South Alabama, Denver, UALR and New Orleans going? Or are you considering a 16 team league for Basketball and all other sports?

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
And where are South Alabama, Denver, UALR and New Orleans going? Or are you considering a 16 team league for Basketball and all other sports?

I know UNO would not like it, but I'd love if the Privateers were in the SLC. The travel bill would be much less than if the Privateers were in the Sun Belt as they currently are. I know it taxes them quite a bit. The only downfall in my eye would be the lack of football (atleast from an SLC standpoint), but if the SLC were to lose UTSA or UT-Arlington.

They have two nearby rivals already built in with Nicholls St and Southeastern Louisiana.

MplsBison
March 16th, 2007, 07:26 PM
The Big East moves to an 18 game schedule next season. Each team plays the others at least once.

A balanced conference schedule is playing every other conference team home and away.

So unless you're moving to a 30 game conference schedule, it won't matter.