PDA

View Full Version : Montana opens spring practice Monday

Ronbo
March 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070311/SPORTS/703110339/1006

http://missoulian.com/articles/2007/03/12/sports/griz/gr48.txt

Despite a handful of key losses, anticipation for the upcoming season will be as high, or even higher than usual, as fifth-year Griz Head Coach Bobby Hauck (41-13 overall and 24-5 in Big Sky games) returns 19-plus starters and 58 lettermen.

Montana returns 17 players who were first, second, or honorable mention All-Big Sky selections.

Two of those top returnees are senior halfback Lex Hilliard, a candidate for the FCS's (offensive player of the year) coveted Walter Payton Award, and senior defensive end Kroy Biermann, who finished 11th in the balloting for the Buck Buchanan Award (defensive player of the year) last season.

Hilliard, a first team All-Big Sky selection in 2004 and 2005, and who has rushed for 2,884 career yards and 34 touchdowns, was forced to redshirt last year when he suffered an injury in fall camp. He will participate in spring drills on a limited basis.

Key players back on offense are first-team all-conference picks Eric Allen at wide receiver; Collin Dow, guard; tackle Cody Balogh; and kicker Dan Carpenter, a second team selection. Honorable mention choices who return are wide receivers Ryan Bagley and Craig Chambers, tackle Brent Russum, fullback Kevin Klaboe, and halfback Reggie Bradshaw.

UM returns its top four receivers, as Allen, Bagley, Chambers, and Mike Ferriter combined for 175 catches, 2,521 yards and 17 touchdowns. Bradshaw rushed for a team-high 572 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Defensively the Griz have first-team all-league choices Biermann, safeties Colt Anderson and Torrey Thomas back, as well as second teamer Jimmy Wilson at cornerback. Also returning are UM's three starting linebackers, Tyler Joyce, Kyle Ryan, and Loren Utterback, and tackle Craig Mettler, all honorable mention All-Big Sky picks. Also returning for the defense is senior punter Tyson Johnson, a three-year starter who missed last season due to injury.

Joyce and Ryan tied for the team lead with 115 tackles each. They were followed by Utterback (103 total tackles), Anderson (92 TT), and Biermann (78 TT). Biermann had a team-high 13.5 stops for losses and 11 sacks.

Thomas led UM with four interceptions.

Green26
March 13th, 2007, 09:45 PM
All players with serious injuries or surgery from the fall or summer were at practice, including Hilliard. There was a nice photo of Hilliard running agility drills. Looks like his recovery from achilles tendon surgery is progressing well.

Cedric Cormier, a former CU receiver who has been coaching high school in Texas, is the new receivers coach. Coach Bobby Hauck and asst coach Ty Gregorak were both at CU when Cormier was playing. Coach Hudson, who has been coaching corners, will coach running backs. He was the defensive coordinator of Sam Houston until joining UM two years ago. It's still not known whether former UM qb and last year's NFL Europe qb, Craig Ochs, will be the qb coach. My guess is that he will be.

I think I read that 90 or so players are participating. Several gray shirts and walk-ons, including several good transfers from Ida. St., I believe, are practicing. One or both of them sat out last fall.

MaroonMafia
March 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
http://missoulian.com/content/articles/2007/03/13/sports/sports01.jpg
I feel bad for teams that have to stop this beast!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Tod
March 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
http://missoulian.com/content/articles/2007/03/13/sports/sports01.jpg
I feel bad for teams that have to stop this beast!
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

He looks extremely bored, maybe even like he's about to fall asleep. xlolx xlolx

Probably caught him in the act of blinking, but I love the result. Ho-hum..xcoffeex

Mr. C
March 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Is Lex going to participate in any contact, or scrimmages?

Green26
March 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I don't believe Hilliard is going to participate in full contact in spring ball, but don't know for sure. He usually gets very strong in the offseason and bulks up, but I think he's even stronger this year. He got weights for his garage at his house, and started lifting hard fairly early last fall. I've heard, and I believe the recent article said, that he tested very well after winter conditioning. Hope all goes well for him.

GaSouthern
March 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Cant find any reason Montana wont steam roll their conference yet again in 2007

GOKATS
March 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Cant find any reason Montana wont steam roll their conference yet again in 2007

I can.xsmiley_wix

AZGrizFan
March 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I can.xsmiley_wix

Yea, we'd better be careful. Even a broke clock (i.e., bobkitties) is right twice a day. xeyebrowx xrolleyesx :D