PDA

View Full Version : FCS Traditions.

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Hero ranks the top 25 FCS traditions...many are pretty new. The Mocs came in at 25 for standing during the Alma Mater. Not really a novel idea, but how it came to be is pretty cool. Thanks Wofford for setting the example!!!

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-best-traditions-montana-cal-poly-penn-bzbz#27

WeAreThePride
July 19th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Victory is our tradition.

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Getting destroyed in big games is our tradition.

Laker
July 19th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Getting destroyed in big games is our tradition.

When did SDSU start the checkered end zone?

WileECoyote06
July 19th, 2018, 10:33 AM
The Penn tradition is awesome!

TheKingpin28
July 19th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Getting destroyed in big games is our tradition.I thought I was figuring our how many Zenner's you could get in one game?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
July 19th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Wow, didn't expect to see our Peach Blossoms mentioned on there. Back in the '60s and '70s, the Peach Blossoms had an old truck that they'd decorated. They'd drive to the stadium with a bunch of guys in the back waving their flags and plungers and ringing cowbells, then drive right onto the track and around the field getting the crowd all fired up. They'd dress up in pink-dyed mop wigs, kilts, pantyhose, balloons under their shirts, and army boots. Their "costume" has been somewhat reduced due to the change in culture and they can't really drive onto the track anymore, but they still show up and get loud. At one point they even had Bob Hope as an honorary member (can't seem to find it now, but I've seen a photo of him wearing the mop wig and sitting in the back of the truck)...he was an occasional visitor to WIU back in "the day":

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=wiu_digimgc&CISOPTR=479&action=2&DMSCALE=35&DMWIDTH=447&DMHEIGHT=458&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0

POD Knows
July 19th, 2018, 11:02 AM
This is a pretty cool list except for the JMU streamers. Those are lame as hell. The memorial at Cal Poly is really nice. How come the garage door at UNI didn’t make the cut.

kdinva
July 19th, 2018, 11:25 AM
It's good to see The Citadel's cannons in the top-12 (VMI has a cannon, too.........just hasn't been fired much recently).......but both school's pregame march on by the Corps of Cadets should be in the top-5....

DFW HOYA
July 19th, 2018, 11:49 AM
A very weak article. The author confuses tradition with ritual.

Madisonian
July 19th, 2018, 12:05 PM
This is a pretty cool list except for the JMU streamers. Those are lame as hell. The memorial at Cal Poly is really nice. How come the garage door at UNI didn’t make the cut.

T’was Shakespeare “To teehee or not to teehee? That is the question.”

ST_Lawson
July 19th, 2018, 01:31 PM
It's good to see The Citadel's cannons in the top-12 (VMI has a cannon, too.........just hasn't been fired much recently).......but both school's pregame march on by the Corps of Cadets should be in the top-5....

Are cannons that rare of a thing? WIU has a small cannon that they fire at kickoff and when WIU gets a TD. They even let "special guests" occasionally fire it off at the beginning of the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5L7UPozIo

RootinFerDukes
July 19th, 2018, 01:44 PM

There we go. The real purpose of it is exposed. Upsetting people on the internet. Mission Accomplished Boys!

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 02:04 PM
There we go. The real purpose of it is exposed. Upsetting people on the internet. Mission Accomplished Boys!

Now that is funny.

Lion1983
July 19th, 2018, 02:28 PM
UNA brings the Lions to home games. That's one of our traditions. The players touching the Pride Rock before taking the feild is another.

ASU33
July 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Magic City Classic tailgating is unmatched by anything I've ever seen!

ElCid
July 19th, 2018, 04:34 PM

Seriously. We have like three or four that could be in the top 25 because we have been doing some of the same ones listed, for much longer. Not to mention the unique spectacle of marching the entire student body to the stadium.

And just FYI for other folks, we have like three black powder cannons we use on game day and a squad of cadets firing muskets as well.

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Seriously. We have like three or four that could be in the top 25 because we have been doing some of the same ones listed, for much longer.Yeah - this one is my favorite. I forget, though, is this Sr. Day or Homecoming?

http://www.citadel.edu/root/images/oea/newsrelease_photos/2014-15/princessdaisywins2014.jpg

Milktruck74
July 19th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Seriously. We have like three or four that could be in the top 25 because we have been doing some of the same ones listed, for much longer. Not to mention the unique spectacle of marching the entire student body to the stadium.

And just FYI for other folks, we have like three black powder cannons we use on game day and a squad of cadets firing muskets as well.

I think the writer uses the back story on how they started as weight for ranking....not just the actual tradition itself. Chattanooga started standing for the Alma Mater in 2009...not unique, not that long ago...but how it happened, with Woffy standing and waiting for our band to play the tune, while our own players ran off the field....someone asked the coach about it, and the players have been standing in front of the band and singing ever since. It was a solid article for the off season either way....

POD Knows
July 19th, 2018, 06:04 PM
There we go. The real purpose of it is exposed. Upsetting people on the internet. Mission Accomplished Boys!:D Yea, that was a pretty good troll by Hero

cx500d
July 19th, 2018, 06:13 PM

Hey, leave Shannon Faulkner out of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2018, 07:20 PM
When did SDSU start the checkered end zone?
Can’t remember and didn’t find it on the internet. It was a while ago, I remember it when I was a kid I’m pretty sure

CHIP72
July 19th, 2018, 08:29 PM
The Penn tradition is awesome!

I toast you for your citation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
July 19th, 2018, 09:33 PM
I think the writer uses the back story on how they started as weight for ranking....not just the actual tradition itself. Chattanooga started standing for the Alma Mater in 2009...not unique, not that long ago...but how it happened, with Woffy standing and waiting for our band to play the tune, while our own players ran off the field....someone asked the coach about it, and the players have been standing in front of the band and singing ever since. It was a solid article for the off season either way....

Yup, you are right. That angle makes it more interesting.

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2018, 09:44 PM
Are cannons that rare of a thing? WIU has a small cannon that they fire at kickoff and when WIU gets a TD. They even let "special guests" occasionally fire it off at the beginning of the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5L7UPozIo
SDSU has a cannon ran by the ROTC. It started just a few years ago, 2014 I think.

ST_Lawson
July 19th, 2018, 09:46 PM
SDSU has a cannon ran by the ROTC. It started just a few years ago, 2014 I think.

Outside of the FCS, I know that Mizzou and Colorado State have cannons too. I'm sure there's quite a few schools that do it.

JimLU
July 19th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Series started in 1884, 153 games played. Continuously since 1897. Over 40,000 showed up for game #150. Probably the best tradition left among the schools remaining in FCS. A tradition unmentioned on this bogus list.

Bisonoline
July 19th, 2018, 10:05 PM
Series started in 1884, 153 games played. Continuously since 1897. Over 40,000 showed up for game #150. Probably the best tradition left among the schools remaining in FCS. A tradition unmentioned on this bogus list.

Who you talking about?

FUBeAR
July 19th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Series started in 1884, 153 games played. Continuously since 1897. Over 40,000 showed up for game #150. Probably the best tradition left among the schools remaining in FCS. A tradition unmentioned on this bogus list.Not quite as impressive, but notable...

Only 5 years later, current FCS & SoCon Teams, Furman & Wofford, began their Football history together in 1889 at Wofford in the 1st College Football game in SC and in the ‘Deep South.’ They have met on the gridiron 92 times, but only continuously since 1995, when Wofford moved up to I-AA/FCS. 92 meetings in 128 years is still an impressively consistent number considering Wofford played in a different Association and/or Division of College Football from Furman in at least 38 of the seasons between 1889 & 2017. I’m pretty sure 40,000 never attended a single one of those 92 games, but the stadium was full when they met in the 2nd round of the Playoffs last year & I imagine it will be full again when the Terriers & Paladins tee it up in Greenville on 10/13/18 as Furman hopes to add another win to their current 53-32-7 lead in the all-time series.

Sidenote: I just read the news report from that 1st game in 1889. It stated that both Teams were well-pleased with the Officiating of the contest. That must’ve been the last time a SoCon game was well-officiated!

JacksFan40
July 19th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Outside of the FCS, I know that Mizzou and Colorado State have cannons too. I'm sure there's quite a few schools that do it.
I’m guessing one of the Military schools has one, and I think Texas A&M does.

Go...gate
July 19th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Cal Poly's remembrance of those eighteen youngsters killed in a 1960 plane crash will bring a tear to your eye.

RootinFerDukes
July 20th, 2018, 05:21 AM

You do realize that a series and a tradition are not the same thing, right?

ElCid
July 20th, 2018, 09:20 AM
We like to bring multiple cannons and even firearms to games.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28177&stc=1

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2018, 09:24 AM

Correct!

Tradition: "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation"
Ritual: "a series of customs performed according to a prescribed order"
Series: "a number of events coming one after another."

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Correct!

Tradition: "the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation"
Ritual: "a series of customs performed according to a prescribed order"
Series: "a number of events coming one after another."

So, a ritual, by definition, is a series & a tradition can be a ritual/series if it is a custom that is passed from generation to generation...

...such as 2 Football Teams customarily playing against each other periodically over a generational number of years.

Got it.

RootinFerDukes
July 20th, 2018, 09:49 AM
So, a ritual, by definition, is a series & a tradition can be a ritual/series if it is a custom that is passed from generation to generation...

...such as 2 Football Teams customarily playing against each other periodically over a generational number of years.

Got it.

No. A football series is not a tradition. It's a football series.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 09:56 AM
No. A football series is not a tradition. It's a football series.Hmmm....seemed pretty logical to me that, as defined, a football series can be, but is not, necessarily, also a tradition.

Let’s try another example.

Is the annual series of Professional Golfers playing against each other in Augusta, GA only that; just a series of golf tournaments OR is it “a TRADITION, unlike any other?”

...because it sounds like you might have a bone to pick with CBS and Jim Nance.

Laker
July 20th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Hmmm....seemed pretty logical to me that, as defined, a football series can be, but is not, necessarily, also a tradition.

Let’s try another example. Is the annual series of Professional Golfers playing against each other in Augusta, GA only that; just a series of golf tournaments OR is it “a TRADITION, unlike any other?”

...because it sounds like you might have a bone to pick with CBS and Jim Nance.

Any reply is required to be spoken in a low volume voice.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Hmmm....seemed pretty logical to me that, as defined, a football series can be, but is not, necessarily, also a tradition.

Let’s try another example.

Is the annual series of Professional Golfers playing against each other in Augusta, GA only that; just a series of golf tournaments OR is it “a TRADITION, unlike any other?”

...because it sounds like you might have a bone to pick with CBS and Jim Nance.I would say the "Green Jacket" is a tradition, the Champions Dinner is a tradition, or not, or they could be rituals or not. I have always struggled with the nuance of this.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I would say the "Green Jacket" is a tradition, the Champions Dinner is a tradition, or not, or they could be rituals or not. I have always struggled with the nuance of this.I didn’t until RFD posted that a series was not a Tradition...and I thought, “hmmm, maybe he’s right,” but DFW Hoya posting those definitions was, to me, illuminating. RFD is wrong, a series darn well can be a tradition. You can’t separate the Green Jacket from the tournament itself. The “Iron Bowl” is a tradition. “The Game” is a tradition. USC vs. Notre Dame is a tradition. They are also series & some of them have rituals that are part of the tradition - Commerative unique trophies/tokens passing to the annual winner or tailgating in your RV for 5 days, etc.

Let’s just make sure JMU vs. NDSU in the FCS Championship game DOESN’T become a Tradition! xbeerchugx

ElCid
July 20th, 2018, 10:16 AM
It may be a tradition to play a specific opponent, even more so on a specific week, but the actual game itself it not a tradition. Very nuanced distinction. I think the point is the article was specific game day or team specific rituals. A mere traditional rivalry game doesn't really fall into that category.

POD Knows
July 20th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I didn’t until RFD posted that a series was not a Tradition...and I thought, “hmmm, maybe he’s right,” but DFW Hoya posting those definitions was, to me, illuminating. RFD is wrong, a series darn well can be a tradition. You can’t separate the Green Jacket from the tournament itself. The “Iron Bowl” is a tradition. “The Game” is a tradition. USC vs. Notre Dame is a tradition. They are also series & some of them have rituals that are part of the tradition - Commerative unique trophies/tokens passing to the annual winner or tailgating in your RV for 5 days, etc.

Let’s just make sure JMU vs. NDSU in the FCS Championship game DOESN’T become a Tradition! xbeerchugx:D Yea, I know, I hate that streamer tradition.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
It may be a tradition to play a specific opponent, even more so on a specific week, but the actual game itself it not a tradition. Very nuanced distinction. I think the point is the article was specific game day or team specific rituals. A mere traditional rivalry game doesn't really fall into that category.I can agree, that the game, itself - the words you read in the play-by-play section in the box score - is not, by itself, a tradition, but the game AND everything else that is ancillary to the game - things that wouldn’t happen if the game wasn’t played (like horsenapping & cruelly blinding an innocent animal) CAN, if the game has been, CUSTOMARILY, played for, say, a minimum of 20 or 30 years, become a Tradition, even if it doesn’t have a catchy name, like “The Battle for the Golden Sand Flea”...or similar.

RootinFerDukes
July 20th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Well since we're up in arms now over our personal definitions of words, lets just assume that the entire list is null and void because dang-it, it didn't include my favorite rivalry in it. If only lists of top rivalries exists somewhere on the internet.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Well since we're up in arms now over our personal definitions of words

I know...why did you want to start that?

Thumper 76
July 20th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Personally there's a difference between listing the top rivalries and a list of the top unique traditions in the subdivision.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 20th, 2018, 02:46 PM

Montana also has a cannon.....South Dakota State decided to adopt the concept after we completed the greatest 2nd half comeback ever against them.....they heard the cannon A LOT! SDSU had us down 41-14 with 7 mins left in the 3rd quarter...than they got Marc Mariani-ed to death.

https://youtu.be/tz_opg3JR3M

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Personally there's a difference between listing the top rivalries and a list of the top unique traditions in the subdivision.Agreed - definitely a difference between the 2 lists.

On the other hand, if there is a series/rivalry game that is accompanied by certain rituals - a trophy/object that passes to & is retained by the winning team, or both Teams honoring each others’ singing of their Alma Maters (Army/Navy, et al), or even playing the game at a neutral site (Georgia/Florida in Jax) - then my take is that game (and its rituals) is/can rightfully be called a Tradition.

AmsterBison
July 20th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Point of order! Since NDSU doesn't play in a stadium, can we really have traditions?

The thing I miss most about playing indoors was that we no longer have fighter planes buzz us like they did at old Dacotah Field at the start of the game. Did it happen every game? Let me answer that with another question, "Shut up and prove it didn't."

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2018, 04:19 PM
NDSU doesn't play in a stadiumIs this now “decided law?”

I thought we were waiting for the most recent SCOTUS nominee to be confirmed to the bench before the question was argued before the highest court (AGS is the 2nd highest) in the land.

So, no, definitely NOT a stadium?

Thumper 76
July 21st, 2018, 02:23 AM
Montana also has a cannon.....South Dakota State decided to adopt the concept after we completed the greatest 2nd half comeback ever against them.....they heard the cannon A LOT! SDSU had us down 41-14 with 7 mins left in the 3rd quarter...than they got Marc Mariani-ed to death.

https://youtu.be/tz_opg3JR3M
Ya, we know. We dont talk about that here, thank you.

WeAreThePride
July 21st, 2018, 01:38 PM
You do realize that tossing colored toilet paper around and tradition are not the same thing, right?

JacksFan40
July 21st, 2018, 01:57 PM
You do realize that tossing colored toilet paper around and tradition are not the same thing, right?
You do realize playing an overused song for a generic entrance isn’t tradition right?

RootinFerDukes
July 21st, 2018, 06:28 PM

Oh man! I guess winning isn’t technically a tradition either or whatever tired cliches you all throw around.

Mike296
July 21st, 2018, 07:52 PM
There isn’t much notable tradition for us but I’ll say this, being from Clarksville and growing up watching APSU football, I always wanted to play there. Injuries ruined that my senior year of high school in 2001 and I had all intentions of going there even if it wasn’t for football. I didn’t end up going to the school and moved to Wisconsin to work in Racine Wisconsin as a teacher after graduating from a UW school(Go Oshkosh).

Bisonoline
July 21st, 2018, 08:03 PM
There isn’t much notable tradition for us but I’ll say this, being from Clarksville and growing up watching APSU football, I always wanted to play there. Injuries ruined that my senior year of high school in 2001 and I had all intentions of going there even if it wasn’t for football. I didn’t end up going to the school and moved to Wisconsin to work in Racine Wisconsin as a teacher after graduating from a UW school(Go Oshkosh).

Park, Case or Horlock? I lived in Waukesha then went to Onalaska up by La Crosse.

Mike296
July 21st, 2018, 08:05 PM
Park, Case or Horlock? I lived in Waukesha then went to Onalaska up by La Crosse.

Prarie School actually, it’s up past Horlick and up near Wind Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmftballmgr
July 31st, 2018, 02:30 PM
One of the traditions at Murray State is when we score a touch down we have a horse and Jockey run the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZONAqjnygw

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 02:51 PM

FWIW Wofford stands and respects every team's alma mater at the end of the game, win or lose

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 04:49 PM
FWIW Wofford stands and respects every team's alma mater at the end of the game, win or loseWhat do the visiting Teams do when Wofford’s Band strikes up the Wofford Alma Mater?

Winterborn
July 31st, 2018, 07:54 PM
Point of order! Since NDSU doesn't play in a stadium, can we really have traditions?

The thing I miss most about playing indoors was that we no longer have fighter planes buzz us like they did at old Dacotah Field at the start of the game. Did it happen every game? Let me answer that with another question, "Shut up and prove it didn't."

It is an arena where the righteous are victorious and when they are not; it is because, at a later date more suffering and anguish can be bestowed on them who dared to beat NDSU.

cx500d
July 31st, 2018, 08:04 PM
It is an arena where the righteous are victorious and when they are not; it is because, at a later date more suffering and anguish can be bestowed on them who dared to beat NDSU.
There isn’t a fighter squadron in Fargo anymore, regardless. Predators don’t have the same panache, although a well placed hellfire could help our somewhat porous secondary.

Winterborn
July 31st, 2018, 08:22 PM
There isn’t a fighter squadron in Fargo anymore, regardless. Predators don’t have the same panache, although a well placed hellfire could help our somewhat porous secondary.

Could always get a few WWII planes from the air museum across the street.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 08:23 PM
https://www.lib.uidaho.edu/digital/troosevelt/jpgs/6-0007-3.jpg

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 08:25 PM
http://silvervalleystories.blogspot.com/2009/11/who-knew-bing-crosby-was-university-of.html

Bing Crosby singing the Idaho Fight Song.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 1st, 2018, 10:36 AM
https://www.lib.uidaho.edu/digital/troosevelt/jpgs/6-0007-3.jpg

Trying to recruit some young men to work in the forest service after school I suppose!

Milktruck74
August 1st, 2018, 03:56 PM
FWIW Wofford stands and respects every team's alma mater at the end of the game, win or lose

Classey. Started by Mike Ayers?