PDA

View Full Version : Samford continues to build its brand and talent

youcanbankit
July 12th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Samford announced today the addition of two fbs transfers on defense. One from Georgia, and one from Georgia Southern. Coach Hatcher continues to bring excellent players into the Samford Nation, following the leadership of his predecessor's Pat Sullivan, Bobby Bowden, Terry Bowden, Jimbo Fisher and Chan Gailey. Watch this program in 2018. It has a top 3 QB nationally in hodges, 2 OL that may be next level candidates (C/OG) Lee and Williams, and 3 WR's that may set new records at the school McKnight, Harris and Shelling. 6 active NFL players and top 10 rankings the past 2 years. The school just launched its new brand, along with partnerships in Sports analytics, and Sports marketing. Its a hidden gem, not to be hidden for long.

https://samfordsports.com/news/2018/7/12/samford-football-adds-two-fbs-transfers.aspx

Samford - Remember the name, could be great things ahead for this team and program.

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Samford announced today the addition of two fbs transfers on defense. One from Georgia, and one from Georgia Southern. Coach Hatcher continues to bring excellent players into the Samford Nation, following the leadership of his predecessor's Pat Sullivan, Bobby Bowden, Terry Bowden, Jimbo Fisher and Chan Gailey. Watch this program in 2018. It has a top 3 QB nationally in hodges, 2 OL that may be next level candidates (C/OG) Lee and Williams, and 3 WR's that may set new records at the school McKnight, Harris and Shelling. 6 active NFL players and top 10 rankings the past 2 years. The school just launched its new brand, along with partnerships in Sports analytics, and Sports marketing. Its a hidden gem, not to be hidden for long.

Remember the name, could be great things ahead for this team and program.

https://pa1.narvii.com/6535/42b9d05de2c52cac390fa688df29f996191dc82a_hq.gif

youcanbankit
July 12th, 2018, 06:20 PM
LAZY Bear

Getting lazy and laid back in life and in football. LOL Bank it bear....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_Acdt-XL4

youcanbankit
July 12th, 2018, 06:41 PM

https://samfordsports.com/news/2018/...transfers.aspx (https://samfordsports.com/news/2018/7/12/samford-football-adds-two-fbs-transfers.aspx)

Samford - Remember the name, could be great things ahead for this team and program.

SCPALADIN
July 13th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Glad you're excited.
Start winning some playoff games and the rest of us will be too.xthumbsupx

Smitty
July 13th, 2018, 07:51 AM
It felt like I was reading a powerpoint from the Samford sales team...

Professor Chaos
July 13th, 2018, 07:53 AM
This seems eerily similar to another chest thumping thread regarding the perceived greatness of a SOCON team from about 5 years ago that was LEGEN.......DARY!!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?135592-Official-2013-Chattanooga-Who-is-laughing-now-Thread

JSUSoutherner
July 13th, 2018, 08:35 AM
This seems eerily similar to another chest thumping thread regarding the perceived greatness of a SOCON team from about 5 years ago that was LEGEN.......DARY!!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?135592-Official-2013-Chattanooga-Who-is-laughing-now-Thread
This one has a long way to go before it gets a spot in my signature box. xlolx

AmsterBison
July 13th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Glad you're excited.

I watched the Samford v Kennesaw State game and kept wondering if Samford had ever seen the option before... not that I should be throwing any stones considering how bad NDSU looked against Wofford at times.

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 09:51 AM
Glad you're excited.

All in good time

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28067&stc=1

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 09:56 AM

No, I just like whats happening in the program. Interesting, new and at least creating improvement with momentum.

katss07
July 13th, 2018, 09:56 AM
When you say continues it implies that there was already a start. I want to see Samford do well, but you have to win your playoff games.

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I watched the Samford v Kennesaw State game and kept wondering if Samford had ever seen the option before... not that I should be throwing any stones considering how bad NDSU looked against Wofford at times.

Agree game two to them last year was given away. Game one was much better.

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 09:58 AM
When you say continues it implies that there was already a start. I want to see Samford do well, but you have to win your playoff games.

I agree, you have to get there first. The program is building. Thats the point.

SU DOG
July 13th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I don't want to curb anyone's enthusiasm for my team. We actually need lots more passionate fans. For me personally, however, I prefer a more cautiously optimistic approach to this season, and towards our success. The 2 players mentioned have some tremendously BIG shoes to fill if they are to come anywhere close to the play of departed Shaheed Salmon and Omari Williams. We didn't exactly blow most folks out last year either you know. The SoCon continues to get better, IMO, and there are probably 5-6 teams that could win the title this year, thankfully Samford being one of them. Lots of pegs must fall into lots of holes for any team to come out on top.

I am hoping for and expecting a good season, I see loads of talent here, and I am certainly happy for the improvement of our program that began with the hiring of Pat Sullivan. Still I must remain cautiously optimistic.

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I don't want to curb anyone's enthusiasm for my team. We actually need lots more passionate fans. For me personally, however, I prefer a more cautiously optimistic approach to this season, and towards our success. The 2 players mentioned have some tremendously BIG shoes to fill if they are to come anywhere close to the play of departed Shaheed Salmon and Omari Williams. We didn't exactly blow most folks out last year either you know. The SoCon continues to get better, IMO, and there are probably 5-6 teams that could win the title this year, thankfully Samford being one of them. Lots of pegs must fall into lots of holes for any team to come out on top.

I am hoping for and expecting a good season, I see loads of talent here, and I am certainly happy for the improvement of our program that began with the hiring of Pat Sullivan. Still I must remain cautiously optimistic.

I have a lot of respect for you SUDOG. You definitely know the game and the program. I will have to remain a bit more optimistic. I will call it realistically optimistic and say Samford has a really good team and is on the rise, building talent and momentum....which is what I said earlier in this post. Preaching to the choir but....Last year Samford beat Kennesaw State, Wofford and Furman which all made the playoffs and some went deep into the bracket. 11 starters returning on offense along with adding new talent, 6 on defense, also adding new talent. IMO Samford has no reason to be afraid or cautious. Samford lost some really good players on defense, but have a ton of potential in the wings. This will be a record setting year for Samford. Hopefully they win a playoff game or two or all of them. The proof will be played on the field. I could be wrong on this, but dont think so. This team is in the national conversation for a reason. I heard this last year when predicting Samford to win 8-9 games. This team is learning how to win and expecting that to happen is not a bad thing IMO.

FUBeAR
July 13th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I have a lot of respect for you SUDOG. You definitely know the game and the program. I will have to remain a bit more optimistic. I will call it realistically optimistic and say Samford has a really good team and is on the rise, building talent and momentum....which is what I said earlier in this post. Preaching to the choir but....Last year Samford beat Kennesaw State, Wofford and Furman which all made the playoffs and some went deep into the bracket. 11 starters returning on offense along with adding new talent, 6 on defense, also adding new talent. IMO Samford has no reason to be afraid or cautious. Samford lost some really good players on defense, but have a ton of potential in the wings. This will be a record setting year for Samford. Hopefully they win a playoff game or two or all of them. The proof will be played on the field. I could be wrong on this, but dont think so. This team is in the national conversation for a reason. I heard this last year when predicting Samford to win 8-9 games. This team is learning how to win and expecting that to happen is not a bad thing IMO.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/587/273/c75.jpg

The Cats
July 13th, 2018, 11:40 AM

You were......

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 13th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I can vouch for Matthew. You've got a good one.

Usually second-string G5 players don't become starters at teams in major FCS conferences, but corner is an especially strong and deep position for us right now. Many think the starting pair of corners we have now are even better than the pair we had in the late 90s that both went on to play in the NFL, and on top of that the most recent signing class had 2 guys rated in the top 100 corners nationally.

Anyways, Matthew played a significant amount as a red shirt freshman and did pretty good. The dumb*** coaches from the last coaching staff must've run him off and he didn't play last year, but I'm glad he's back and on a team.

youcanbankit
July 13th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I can vouch for Matthew. You've got a good one.

Usually second-string G5 players don't become starters at teams in major FCS conferences, but corner is an especially strong and deep position for us right now. Many think the starting pair of corners we have now are even better than the pair we had in the late 90s that both went on to play in the NFL, and on top of that the most recent signing class had 2 guys rated in the top 100 corners nationally.

Anyways, Matthew played a significant amount as a red shirt freshman and did pretty good. The dumb*** coaches from the last coaching staff must've run him off and he didn't play last year, but I'm glad he's back and on a team.

Great information. Thanks for sharing. Samford is very fortunate to have him and Laguins. Two great pick ups with a lot of potential adding to a strong DB and LB history from Samford.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Samford had already seen Kennesaw that season. Wofford runs the option. The Citadel runs it. They also saw Furman that runs a version of the offense with more throwing.

So, yes. They saw the option.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Still waiting for SAM. to explain why an 0-11 D2 school is anywhere near their schedule.

Samford is the most hyped team never to win a playoff game since Elon.

ElCid
July 13th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Still waiting for SAM. to explain why an 0-11 D2 school is anywhere near their schedule.

Samford is the most hyped team never to win a playoff game since Elon.

They are seriously inconsistent. Every time I think Samford finally has it together, they choke. They know the SOCON teams well and play them well, except for some odd ball games where they forget to show up. I really think they have a coaching problem at some level where they just fail in keeping focused.

Not sure why they can't get rid of some of these DII opponents. That goes for a few other teams, including mine. One every 3-5 years I can live with but not every year. I think in Samford's case, it may stem from their Div III time. They played many of these teams a lot way back when.

FUBeAR
July 13th, 2018, 09:20 PM
Not sure why they can't get rid of some of these DII opponents. I think in Samford's case, it may stem from their Div III time. They played many of these teams a lot way back when....and Furman used to play the Charleston YMCA. I don’t see them on any of the Paladins’ future schedules.

ElCid
July 13th, 2018, 09:27 PM
...and Furman used to play the Charleston YMCA. I don’t see them on any of the Paladins’ future schedules.

Hey, we used to play the Paris Island Marines and the Charleston Shipyard.xrotatehx I realize that was back in the leather helmet days.

PaladinFan
July 13th, 2018, 09:59 PM
They are seriously inconsistent. Every time I think Samford finally has it together, they choke. They know the SOCON teams well and play them well, except for some odd ball games where they forget to show up. I really think they have a coaching problem at some level where they just fail in keeping focused.

Not sure why they can't get rid of some of these DII opponents. That goes for a few other teams, including mine. One every 3-5 years I can live with but not every year. I think in Samford's case, it may stem from their Div III time. They played many of these teams a lot way back when.

Conspiracy theory. Devlin Hodges is closing in on all-time NCAA FCS offensive records. I get the distinct impression that record is very important to Chris Hatcher.

With FSU on the schedule, what better opportunity to rack up a bunch of offensive yards than against a winless D2 team who surrendered nearly 500 yards a game and 65% on completions last season? That may be Samford's one opportunity to unload on a team. They may need Shorter for Hodges to have a shot at those records, because there aren't going to be many soft spots in their schedule after week 1.

ElCid
July 13th, 2018, 10:16 PM
Conspiracy theory. Devlin Hodges is closing in on all-time NCAA FCS offensive records. I get the distinct impression that record is very important to Chris Hatcher.

With FSU on the schedule, what better opportunity to rack up a bunch of offensive yards than against a winless D2 team who surrendered nearly 500 yards a game and 65% on completions last season? That may be Samford's one opportunity to unload on a team. They may need Shorter for Hodges to have a shot at those records, because there aren't going to be many soft spots in their schedule after week 1.

My brain doesn't think like that.......but it fits.

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 06:47 AM
My brain doesn't think like that.......but it fits.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that way either. I just find it peculiar that Hodges never comes out of the game. In fact, I think you have to go back to midway in the 2016 season to find a time when a Samford QB other than Hodges threw a pass. Admittedly, Samford doesn't play a ton of games warranting mop-up duty, but even when they do, Hodges stays in there.

For example, Samford was up 35-7 on ETSU last year (at half time, I think). I anticipate nearly every team in the country that was heavily reliant on a star player at QB (as Samford is) would get him out of the game in the third quarter in a blowout. They didn't. He played the whole game.

Again, none of this is nefarious or poor sportsmanship (in my opinion), but I can only assume that the only reason you keep your star QB in the game late in a blowout is for padding stats. I can't think of any other good reason.

ElCid
July 14th, 2018, 06:51 AM
Ordinarily, I wouldn't think that way either. I just find it peculiar that Hodges never comes out of the game. In fact, I think you have to go back to midway in the 2016 season to find a time when a Samford QB other than Hodges threw a pass. Admittedly, Samford doesn't play a ton of games warranting mop-up duty, but even when they do, Hodges stays in there.

For example, Samford was up 35-7 on ETSU last year (at half time, I think). I anticipate nearly every team in the country that was heavily reliant on a star player at QB (as Samford is) would get him out of the game in the third quarter in a blowout. They didn't. He played the whole game.

Again, none of this is nefarious or poor sportsmanship (in my opinion), but I can only assume that the only reason you keep your star QB in the game late in a blowout is for padding stats. I can't think of any other good reason.

Hodges never comes out of a game because Samford blows their leads so often.

SU DOG
July 14th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Why all the conspiracy theories about my team? As for Hodges, it may very well be that Hatcher plays him to be able to break some records. If so, then I'm fine with that. Also, our backup guy took a RS season last year, and I do expect him to get some PT this year. Opponents will think that Hodges has simply changed his jersey when they see Liam Welch throw the ball.:) As for the schedule, there are often many unseen logistics that are involved. The South Carolina Schools have often been able to schedule BS and Pioneer League teams that have short travel distances. I'm talking Presby, Gardner Webb, Davidson, and some others. Normally these are fairly easy wins. We don't have that luxury. It takes 2 to tango as the saying goes, and there aren't lots of D-1 teams wanting to play us right now. Without Shorter, we would have had only 4 home games this year, and nobody wants that. We would have been in the Kickoff Classic if the NCAA had qualified that game as a non-counter.

My rebuttal questions: Why don't more SoCon Teams schedule better OOC games? What SoCon Team for the last 3 years, as it turned out, has had the best OOC win, and this year could make it 4 years in a row?

ElCid
July 14th, 2018, 10:47 AM
My rebuttal questions: What SoCon Team for the last 3 years, as it turned out, has had the best OOC win, and this year could make it 4 years in a row?

The question doesn't make sense because the best OOC win three years ago ('15) was our win over USC. Or did you mean best OOC FCS win?........or it would have been CCU, albeit in the playoffs and not a sceduled game I realize. Maybe you meant last two years.😀

SU DOG
July 14th, 2018, 11:36 AM
You are absolutely right ElCid, I did forget that one. That was a terrific Citadel team. So, I amend to the last 2 with a possibility of 3 years unless a major FBS upset occurs(BEAT BAMA).:)

FUBeAR
July 14th, 2018, 11:57 AM
What SoCon Team for the last 3 years, as it turned out, has had the best OOC win, and this year could make it 4 years in a row?

Only because the Mercer vs Reinhardt series ended after 2014.

ElCid
July 14th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Only because the Mercer vs Reinhardt series ended after 2014.

Ha, an oldie but a goodie.

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 02:44 PM
The question doesn't make sense because the best OOC win three years ago ('15) was our win over USC. Or did you mean best OOC FCS win?........or it would have been CCU, albeit in the playoffs and not a sceduled game I realize. Maybe you meant last two years.

I think last year the SoCon's best OOC win was Furman's victory over #15 Elon in the post season.

Furman also beat UCF in '15.

I guess the question is trying to solicit Samford's wins over Central Arkansas?

Double rebuttal question is which SoCon team has schedule D2 teams five consecutive seasons? You know the answer.

Relatedly, I don't buy that Carolina teams have an easier time scheduling. You are telling me that the best Samford can do is Stillman and Clark Atlanta? I didn't even know those schools had a football team until Samford played them.

SU DOG
July 14th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I know the answer PF - the same team that beat Furman 3 of those 5 years, including the last 2. I was discussing FCS scheduling, and not postseason or really even FBS. As far as trying to tell you any intelligent thing about Samford, I'm not sure there is ever any chance of it being worth the effort. It always brings a quick rebuttal, and never is my post even close to an adequate explanation for you. What puzzles me more than anything else, however, is your seemingly constant infatuation with our team. You have expressed your concerns ad nauseum about Hodges playing time, our transfers, our scheduling, and several other topics related to our team in recent history. I know of no other poster who has done so to your extreme. Some of this may have been in reply to other posters and not always directed to me, but many times it was, and it gets kinda tiresome to see you constantly bash our efforts. I have always considered Furman to be the team Samford should emulate as we entered the SoCon. - similar enrollment, private, beautiful campus, and such a rich football history(which you have every right to be proud of).

The Cats
July 14th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I have always considered Furman to be the team Samford should emulate as we entered the SoCon. - similar enrollment, private, beautiful campus, and such a rich football history(which you have every right to be proud of).

that's right.... stroke his ego, but he'll still diss Samford football. LOL

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I know the answer PF - the same team that beat Furman 3 of those 5 years, including the last 2. I was discussing FCS scheduling, and not postseason or really even FBS. As far as trying to tell you any intelligent thing about Samford, I'm not sure there is ever any chance of it being worth the effort. It always brings a quick rebuttal, and never is my post even close to an adequate explanation for you. What puzzles me more than anything else, however, is your seemingly constant infatuation with our team. You have expressed your concerns ad nauseum about Hodges playing time, our transfers, our scheduling, and several other topics related to our team in recent history. I know of no other poster who has done so to your extreme. Some of this may have been in reply to other posters and not always directed to me, but many times it was, and it gets kinda tiresome to see you constantly bash our efforts. I have always considered Furman to be the team Samford should emulate as we entered the SoCon. - similar enrollment, private, beautiful campus, and such a rich football history(which you have every right to be proud of).

I try objectively to be equally critical of everyone. xnodx The subject of the thread is Samford, so I'm talking about Samford.

I have nothing against Samford. They are a good program and I have long said they are the SoCon frontrunners in 2018. In fact, I may have been the first SoCon poster on here to take that position.

I do not, however, think I am being unfairly critical of Samford's penchant for scheduling woefully bad D2 squads multiple years running. That isn't just a scheduling quirk, but a systematic decision by the athletic department. In my opinion, that practice needs to be halted by the conference. It does nobody any good (including Samford).

Feel free to disagree with me.

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 06:11 PM
that's right.... stroke his ego, but he'll still diss Samford football. LOL

If you want takes about how awesome your team is, head back to your own forum/safe space.

Speaking of, what happened to all the Wofford posters, anyway?

SU DOG
July 14th, 2018, 06:29 PM
A systematic decision by the athletic dept, and the SoCon office needs to step in and tell Samford who they can/can't schedule OOC? xlolxxlolxxlolx
Too much wine and not enough cheese maybe?

FUBeAR
July 14th, 2018, 07:12 PM
what happened to all the Wofford posters, anyway?

At the threat of revocation of their degrees and, more importantly, the loss of the spot for their lawn chair in the grass behind the endzone; they are only allowed to publicly post the following statement (regardless of the topic or question):

"Wofford College’s physical campus, as well as the lives and futures of its students, faculty and staff, have been indelibly transformed by the generosity of Mr. Richardson. Beyond that, I have no further comment."

So, I believe they are electing to fly under the people that are presently flying under the radar. :)

PaladinFan
July 14th, 2018, 07:51 PM
A systematic decision by the athletic dept, and the SoCon office needs to step in and tell Samford who they can/can't schedule OOC? xlolxxlolxxlolx
Too much wine and not enough cheese maybe?

I recall a few years ago Immarino mentioning that he wanted SoCon schools to get away from scheduling down. I have no idea if the commissioner (or the conference) has the power to force or "encourage" programs to make those changes.

The concern I would have as a Samford fan (and, generally, a SoCon fan) is about playoff positioning.

SU DOG
July 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Six SoCon teams, if my count is right, played either a D-2 or non-scholly team last season. Not saying I particularly like it either, but it beats having only 4 games.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Six SoCon teams, if my count is right, played either a D-2 or non-scholly team last season. Not saying I particularly like it either, but it beats having only 4 games.

Personally, I don't have an issue if you schedule a D2 or nonscholarship team. Sometimes you have to schedule those games. Sometimes you have to schedule two FBS games. It happens.

I just think that in most seasons, SoCon teams should strive to play one FBS ("money") game, and work out home and homes with two ooc FCS programs. Samford has had the right idea scheduling Central Arkansas and Kennesaw State.

Those games are good for this brand of football.

sudog03
July 15th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Are we still calling Pioneer league teams FCS? I mean listen, Shorter is terrible, don't get me wrong. But, I have no issue with it given we are playing one of the most difficult road non-conference games in all of FCS. From a fan's perspective, I much rather watch a pair of games involving Samford and Shorter/Kennesaw than watching Samford versus, say GW/Presby or some other terrible Big South, OVC, or Pioneer league teams. Pioneer teams are more expensive to schedule guarantee home game against than D2 teams, plus when Samford can schedule a relatively close D2, we get a better gate than say a team like JU. Leaving that 3rd non-conference game as a guarantee home game also give us greater flexibility in scheduling our home/away non-conference FCS team. And not all d2 teams are the same. That West Alabama team last season had a Massey Rating that would put it in 2nd place in the OVC, Pioneer, and Big South Conferences.

FormerPokeCenter
July 15th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I was in Birmingham unexpectedly last weekend and met a Samford WR in the hotel lobby. He was wearing a Samford hat and I asked if he played. He looked to me like he could have been been a DB, but he indicated that he was a junior WR. Very polite kid, very well mannered.

Said he was a junior...I looked at the roster and there were two junior WRs who's height and weight look about right. The online roster doesn't have mugshot styele photos, only action shots from games, so I couldn't tell if they were him or not. I neglected to get his name, but I was impressed with just how polite he was...

That speaks volumes about the program, I think.

sudog03
July 15th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Thanks for sharing that story PokeCenter. I know FCS rosters nationwide are full of good kids, but probably the thing I am most proud about Samford's rise to respectability in the FCS is we've been able to do it while actually enhancing the mission of the university. Not counting the Ivy's, we were 5th in the FCS in the most recent graduation success rates for football and just placed 43 football student athletes on the SoCon Academic Honor Roll. In terms of FCS playoff teams, our graduation success rate was 2nd in the 2017 playoff field.

PaladinFan
July 15th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Are we still calling Pioneer league teams FCS? I mean listen, Shorter is terrible, don't get me wrong. But, I have no issue with it given we are playing one of the most difficult road non-conference games in all of FCS. From a fan's perspective, I much rather watch a pair of games involving Samford and Shorter/Kennesaw than watching Samford versus, say GW/Presby or some other terrible Big South, OVC, or Pioneer league teams. Pioneer teams are more expensive to schedule guarantee home game against than D2 teams, plus when Samford can schedule a relatively close D2, we get a better gate than say a team like JU. Leaving that 3rd non-conference game as a guarantee home game also give us greater flexibility in scheduling our home/away non-conference FCS team. And not all d2 teams are the same. That West Alabama team last season had a Massey Rating that would put it in 2nd place in the OVC, Pioneer, and Big South Conferences.

West Alabama is a respectable D2 program, but that isn't the point. Samford has now done this 5 straight seasons. While West Alabama was respectable, Shorter is terrible, Mars Hill was bad, Clark Atlanta was awful (and played only 9 games in 2015), Stillman actually shuttered virtually all of their athletics (including football) the year after playing Samford. Those are literally a handful of the worst D2 programs in the country.

I certainly don't think it is about the gate. Samford draws roughly 5,000 fans a game regardless of the opponent. There were 4,500 fans for West Alabama last year and 4,600 for Furman (with Furman bringing a sizeable contingent). So, it is not like Samford is turning the gate a lot more by scheduling local and bad D2 programs.

You can also manage to schedule two quality FCS teams and not sacrifice a home game. Several teams in the SoCon manage to do it virtually every season.

sudog03
July 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I didn't compare the attendance to a Furman home game, nor did I say it was impossible to schedule and not sacrifice a home game. I said the draw is better than a JU type game and that it gives more flexibility in scheduling the other non-conference FCS game. Plus the Pioneer teams cost almost twice as much to schedule. I also said that Shorter was awful. As a Samford fan, I am very comfortable with our scheduling philosophy at the moment. Nor do I think Samford's scheduling is hurting it's or other teams in the SoCon's at large chances.

Thumper 76
July 15th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Why all the conspiracy theories about my team? As for Hodges, it may very well be that Hatcher plays him to be able to break some records. If so, then I'm fine with that. Also, our backup guy took a RS season last year, and I do expect him to get some PT this year. Opponents will think that Hodges has simply changed his jersey when they see Liam Welch throw the ball.:) As for the schedule, there are often many unseen logistics that are involved. The South Carolina Schools have often been able to schedule BS and Pioneer League teams that have short travel distances. I'm talking Presby, Gardner Webb, Davidson, and some others. Normally these are fairly easy wins. We don't have that luxury. It takes 2 to tango as the saying goes, and there aren't lots of D-1 teams wanting to play us right now. Without Shorter, we would have had only 4 home games this year, and nobody wants that. We would have been in the Kickoff Classic if the NCAA had qualified that game as a non-counter.

My rebuttal questions: Why don't more SoCon Teams schedule better OOC games? What SoCon Team for the last 3 years, as it turned out, has had the best OOC win, and this year could make it 4 years in a row?
I would bet there’s some MVFC teams that would be willing to set up some games.

Who has more playoff wins in the past two years, Pioneer San Diego or Samford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sudog03
July 15th, 2018, 02:06 PM
San Diego has a fine team. Unfortunately for them, there are 9 other teams in that league that aren't worth much. Plus, due to geography, they aren't a realistic non-conference opponent for us.

FUBeAR
July 15th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Who has more playoff wins in the past two years, Pioneer San Diego or Samford?My guess is the answer would be whichever of those 2 Teams had the great fortune of facing more Big Sky Conference Teams in the Playoffs.

Am I right?

Thumper 76
July 15th, 2018, 03:14 PM
San Diego has a fine team. Unfortunately for them, there are 9 other teams in that league that aren't worth much. Plus, due to geography, they aren't a realistic non-conference opponent for us.

I’m just saying to say not to count the Pioneer teams when they have a better recent playoff history than your team is a bit silly. Also, they’ll travel to you I would bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
July 15th, 2018, 03:33 PM

7 actually by my count. But just so we can compare what the SOCON has done the last 4 years (including this coming season), here is the count. I did not break out non scholarship FCS opponents in this list.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28103&stc=1

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 05:11 AM
I didn't compare the attendance to a Furman home game, nor did I say it was impossible to schedule and not sacrifice a home game. I said the draw is better than a JU type game and that it gives more flexibility in scheduling the other non-conference FCS game. Plus the Pioneer teams cost almost twice as much to schedule. I also said that Shorter was awful. As a Samford fan, I am very comfortable with our scheduling philosophy at the moment. Nor do I think Samford's scheduling is hurting it's or other teams in the SoCon's at large chances.

Here is an example of why it should matter to you. Furman and Samford played November 18 in Birmingham. It was a back and forth game with Samford eventually winning by 6. There were several really close plays in the game that could have changed the outcome, including the referee's decision not to award Furman a touchdown on a fourth down plunge. How a 6'2 running back can have his shoulders in the endzone but no part of the ball is a story for a different day.

But, say Furman is awarded the extra inch and a half and given a touchdown on that play. Or Hodges doesn't complete a couple of wizarding throws to McKnight. Instead of winning by six, Samford loses.

Playoff selections were that weekend. Samford, now 7-4 (5-3) moves to fourth in the SoCon by virtue of losing to Western Carolina. Playoff committee looks at resumes, and notes that the Bulldogs, while a good team, have only six D1 wins by virtue of playing West Alabama. They almost assuredly stay home.

Now, if the committee looks at a 7-4 Samford with an out of conference win over [insert team here], a decent FCS opponent from another conference, maybe they sneak into the post season and have the chance for a magical run to a national title.

The point I am making is that consistently scheduling D2s hurts Samford. Not only that, it hurts the conference because it lowers the overall strength of schedule and reduces the margin of error for a potential playoff team.

SCPALADIN
July 16th, 2018, 07:47 AM
All in good time

I won't hold my breath.;)

sudog03
July 16th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Here is an example of why it should matter to you. Furman and Samford played November 18 in Birmingham. It was a back and forth game with Samford eventually winning by 6. There were several really close plays in the game that could have changed the outcome, including the referee's decision not to award Furman a touchdown on a fourth down plunge. How a 6'2 running back can have his shoulders in the endzone but no part of the ball is a story for a different day.

But, say Furman is awarded the extra inch and a half and given a touchdown on that play. Or Hodges doesn't complete a couple of wizarding throws to McKnight. Instead of winning by six, Samford loses.

Playoff selections were that weekend. Samford, now 7-4 (5-3) moves to fourth in the SoCon by virtue of losing to Western Carolina. Playoff committee looks at resumes, and notes that the Bulldogs, while a good team, have only six D1 wins by virtue of playing West Alabama. They almost assuredly stay home.

Now, if the committee looks at a 7-4 Samford with an out of conference win over [insert team here], a decent FCS opponent from another conference, maybe they sneak into the post season and have the chance for a magical run to a national title.

The point I am making is that consistently scheduling D2s hurts Samford. Not only that, it hurts the conference because it lowers the overall strength of schedule and reduces the margin of error for a potential playoff team.

If we had lost to Furman, I'm sure we would have stayed home. It would have given us 3 SoCon losses and ostensibly put us in 4th behind WCU. At which point a 7 turnover performance against UTC and a poor defensive showing at WCU would have significantly more impact to our plight. A scenario where we wouldn't have gotten in regardless, IMO. It wouldn't have mattered who the other non-conference opponent was. I just don't see how us scheduling a D2 appreciably hurts the conference's strength. We got 3 teams in last season. How many times has that happened since GSU/App left the league?

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 08:06 AM
If we had lost to Furman, I'm sure we would have stayed home. It would have given us 3 SoCon losses and ostensibly put us in 4th behind WCU. At which point a 7 turnover performance against UTC and a poor defensive showing at WCU would have significantly more impact to our plight. A scenario where we wouldn't have gotten in regardless, IMO. It wouldn't have mattered who the other non-conference opponent was. I just don't see how us scheduling a D2 appreciably hurts the conference's strength. We got 3 teams in last season. How many times has that happened since GSU/App left the league?

What I am saying is that Samford had zero (or close to zero) chance of being a post season team at 7-4. Furman, by contrast, made the post season at 7-4. If Furman had a win over a D2 program instead of Colgate, they almost assuredly aren't in the field.

It is the difference between two SoCon teams in the post season and three. The SoCon had three playoff teams not because of the strength of Samford's schedule, but the strength of Furman's.

But even then, as a fan, do you really want to see your program routinely schedule awful home games against lower level teams?

This is just me, but if a bad D2 team showed up on Furman's schedule I would shrug it off as an outlier and likely unfortunate result of scheduling roulette. If it happened five straight seasons I would be writing strongly worded letters to the athletic director.

sudog03
July 16th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Personally, I don't think the 4th place team from the SoCon was getting in last year regardless. I mean WCU finished 5-3, 4th, played no lower division team and stayed home. As I said earlier, this Samford fan is very comfortable with our current scheduling philosophy, just my opinion.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 09:25 AM
I just don't see how us scheduling a D2 appreciably hurts the conference's strength. We got 3 teams in last season. How many times has that happened since GSU/App left the league?

GaSou & Appy were not eligible for the FCS Playoffs in 2013 as they were preparing for their moves down to the Scourge Belt. (PaladinFan disagrees with this, but that’s my story & I’m sticking with it.) So, let’s include that year in response to your question.

2013 - 2 - Furman & Samford. Chatt tied with FU & SU, but were screwed as the last Team out because of the erroneous perception that GaSou & Appy didn’t try in 2013 & thus the SoCon was weaker. BS - perception matters when Playoff berths are distributed. For example, the perennially overrated Big Lie Conference got 4 Teams in & 3 of those 4 lost their 1st Playoff games, with 2 of those 3 getting PUMMELED.

2014 - 1 - Chattanooga - Samford (7-4) & WCU (7-5); perhaps even Wofford at 6-5 might have been considered for bids, but due to each playing 2 Non D1 games (Samford played Stillman & Concordia...really?...WCU played Brevard & Catawba...really2?...Woffy played N. Greenville & VA-Wise...really3? And, y’all scoffed at Mercer for playing Reinhardt...really4?) & the (mis)perceived weakness of the SoCon due to Appy & GaSou moving down, there was no way the SoCon was going to get even 1 At-Large bid that year.

2015 - 2 - CIT & Chatt - WCU had a shot at 7-4, but they played Non-D1 Mars Hill...and that perception thing lingers. Even at 6-5, Samford, in a better perceived Conference, might have had a shot, but playing Clark Atlanta completely eliminated any outside shot at that.

2016 - 4 - CIT, Chatt, Samford, Wofford - The world begins to look more right again. Maybe,because they played an all D1 schedule, Mercer, at 6-5, would have had a shot, as their losses were to an FBS & the 4 SoCon Playoff Teams, but the fact that Non-D1’s Shorter, N. Greenville, Johnson C. Smith, and Mars Hill were on the schedules of those Playoff Teams hurt the overall ranking/perception of the SoCon & eliminates any slim hopes the Bears held for a berth.

2017 - 3 - Wofford, Furman, Samford. WCU, at 7-5, with 2 FBS losses might have had a shot. FU & Woffy played all D1 schedules. Did Samford’s Non-D1 game vs W. Alabama scuttle any shot the Catamounts might have had. I don’t know. Probably not, but I know it didn’t help.

So, the answer to your question is 2 of the 4 years since GaSou & Appy hit the road to irrelevance, the SoCon has had 3 (or more) Teams make the Playoffs.

I really don’t think that’s the right question though. The right question is how many SoCon Teams have been excluded from the Playoffs due to perceived ‘weakness,’ and how much has the scheduling of Non-D1 Teams contributed to that perception. I don’t think we can quantifiably answer that question with a sufficient degree of certainty, but I’m sure we can reasonably conclude that is has not helped...at all.

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Forget WCU for a moment. Assume the exact same results except Samford lost to Kennesaw State instead of Furman. Samford finished 7-4 (6-2) and runner up in the SoCon. Wofford finished 1st. Furman finished 3rd. Exact same set up.

There, Samford stays home. Furman, who finished with the exact same record and lost to Samford head to head, is the more likely playoff selection as the SoCon's second team. Why? Furman has 7 D1 wins while Samford has only 6. After the autobid, it is a beauty contest and strength of schedule matters. In that scenario, I'm not even sure Samford has enough wins to even qualify for the post season.

Again, the argument I am making is that Samford can have a strong season, finish second in the SoCon, and completely miss the playoffs because they opted to play West Alabama. If you are confident your team can run the table in the SoCon, then no big deal. But as you look at Samford's schedule, do you see 8 locked in wins? I see two.

SU DOG
July 16th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I know that Furman plays Elon again for possibly 2 straight, but how many teams in the SoCon currently have 3 straight years of scheduling an OOC opponent that is/was a Playoff Team? I haven't done ample research on archived schedules to be sure, but if there are ANY others it isn't many. I am making one assumption here that KSU will again be in the Playoffs. I would think that this is somewhat of an offset to the D-2 team on our schedule(s). This continuing discussion of Samford's schedule, transfers, and even PT of the QB in a disparaging light by only certain posters can't help but lead to this question: If they look like sour grapes, smell like sour grapes, and taste like sour grapes, then you probably have yourself some sour grapes.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I know that Furman plays Elon again for possibly 2 straight, but how many teams in the SoCon currently have 3 straight years of scheduling an OOC opponent that is/was a Playoff Team? I haven't done ample research on archived schedules to be sure, but if there are ANY others it isn't many. I am making one assumption here that KSU will again be in the Playoffs. I would think that this is somewhat of an offset to the D-2 team on our schedule(s). This continuing discussion of Samford's schedule, transfers, and even PT of the QB in a disparaging light by only certain posters can't help but lead to this question: If they look like sour grapes, smell like sour grapes, and taste like sour grapes, then you probably have yourself some sour grapes.

Whether or not an OOC FCS Team makes the FCS Playoffs AFTER the game(s) have been scheduled, particularly in the case of KSU, is not really something that the SoCon Team doing the scheduling could/can anticipate with certainty. So, bringing up that after-the-fact outcome in this discussion about Samford’s persistent non-D1 scheduling is pretty much a red herring.

On the other hand, when those games with Clark Atlanta, Concordia, Mars Hill, Stillman, and Shorter were scheduled, we all knew that NONE of those Teams were going to be in the FCS Playoffs the years those games were/will be played. We also know that playing those games will reduce the SoS and the perception of the SoCon Team playing them & the SoCon as a whole. I think it’s fair to say those games (along with the other Non-D1 games scheduled/played by other SoCon Teams - I know it may be hard to swallow, but it’s not ALWAYS about Samford, y’know) has, does, and will hurt the SoCon in the determination of At-Large Playoff bids. How much has it hurt & has it ever been the deciding factor between IN or OUT for any SoCon Team? I don’t know, but I do know it hasn’t helped.

On your “Ode to the Grape”...if there is a thread titled “Samford continues to build its brand and talent” on an Internet Message Board with a National FCS scope, I would expect the primary topic of the posts/responses in that thread to be on the subject of Samford. I would also expect those posts/responses from people who are not Samford Fans to include less-than-flattering comments and that the best of those posts would include hard questions that may be difficult to answer & come from a viewpoint, perhaps, at odds with that of the Homewood Faithful. If you want the URL of a Samford Board where most just CIRCLE the wagons and (almost) no (perceived) JERKS participate, I can PM that to you. I already posted a picture of their most recent outing in this thread...

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/587/273/c75.jpg

SCPALADIN
July 16th, 2018, 03:54 PM
GaSou & Appy were not eligible for the FCS Playoffs in 2013 as they were preparing for their moves down to the Scourge Belt. (PaladinFan disagrees with this, but that’s my story & I’m sticking with it.) So, let’s include that year in response to your question.

2013 - 2 - Furman & Samford. Chatt tied with FU & SU, but were screwed as the last Team out because of the erroneous perception that GaSou & Appy didn’t try in 2013 & thus the SoCon was weaker. BS - perception matters when Playoff berths are distributed. For example, the perennially overrated Big Lie Conference got 4 Teams in & 3 of those 4 lost their 1st Playoff games, with 2 of those 3 getting PUMMELED.

2014 - 1 - Chattanooga - Samford (7-4) & WCU (7-5); perhaps even Wofford at 6-5 might have been considered for bids, but due to each playing 2 Non D1 games (Samford played Stillman & Concordia...really?...WCU played Brevard & Catawba...really2?...Woffy played N. Greenville & VA-Wise...really3? And, y’all scoffed at Mercer for playing Reinhardt...really4?) & the (mis)perceived weakness of the SoCon due to Appy & GaSou moving down, there was no way the SoCon was going to get even 1 At-Large bid that year.

2015 - 2 - CIT & Chatt - WCU had a shot at 7-4, but they played Non-D1 Mars Hill...and that perception thing lingers. Even at 6-5, Samford, in a better perceived Conference, might have had a shot, but playing Clark Atlanta completely eliminated any outside shot at that.

2016 - 4 - CIT, Chatt, Samford, Wofford - The world begins to look more right again. Maybe,because they played an all D1 schedule, Mercer, at 6-5, would have had a shot, as their losses were to an FBS & the 4 SoCon Playoff Teams, but the fact that Non-D1’s Shorter, N. Greenville, Johnson C. Smith, and Mars Hill were on the schedules of those Playoff Teams hurt the overall ranking/perception of the SoCon & eliminates any slim hopes the Bears held for a berth.

2017 - 3 - Wofford, Furman, Samford. WCU, at 7-5, with 2 FBS losses might have had a shot. FU & Woffy played all D1 schedules. Did Samford’s Non-D1 game vs W. Alabama scuttle any shot the Catamounts might have had. I don’t know. Probably not, but I know it didn’t help.

So, the answer to your question is 2 of the 4 years since GaSou & Appy hit the road to irrelevance, the SoCon has had 3 (or more) Teams make the Playoffs.

I really don’t think that’s the right question though. The right question is how many SoCon Teams have been excluded from the Playoffs due to perceived ‘weakness,’ and how much has the scheduling of Non-D1 Teams contributed to that perception. I don’t think we can quantifiably answer that question with a sufficient degree of certainty, but I’m sure we can reasonably conclude that is has not helped...at all.

App and GaSo were up to their FBS scholarship levels that season...so they were ineligible going into the season.
...not sure if this was mentioned earlier.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 04:08 PM
App and GaSo were up to their FBS scholarship levels that season...so they were ineligible going into the season.
...not sure if this was mentioned earlier.IKR - tell PaladinFan. He has yet to issue a public retraction (and, ideally, a formal apology) from when he attempted to embarrass me by ‘correcting’ me when I posted that they were ineligible for the FCS Playoffs in 2013.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/8d/a1/4b8da1b12f8261483a72860e372189b2.jpg

SU DOG
July 16th, 2018, 04:31 PM
OK, but whether intended or not, the OOC Playoff Teams scheduled are a fact. My question goes unanswered I see. FUB as for "it's not always about Samford you know" - THAT is exactly my point. Others in this conference are also scheduling these type teams(D-2 or unscholly). I hope Samford and other conference schools can find teams willing to play that are not in this category. I can also agree with expected negative responses from the title of this thread. Personally, I am not one to be braggadocios about my team, but I will usually defend against what I consider to be the posted unsubstantiated innuendos with what I see as logic and facts. Posting here doesn't have to be a be a one-way street. Samford's schedule has hurt the SoCon? It's more like Samford's wins have butt-hurt certain teams in the SoCon. xnodx We can agree to disagree, as this banter has gone about as far as I think it should. Glad when we will be discussing games instead of what seems to be petty finger pointing.

Just hold off sending me that URL, as I believe I already have it. I'm thinking that you have almost 400 posts(many good ones admittedly) on that same Board. xlolx

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 09:23 PM
IKR - tell PaladinFan. He has yet to issue a public retraction (and, ideally, a formal apology) from when he attempted to embarrass me by ‘correcting’ me when I posted that they were ineligible for the FCS Playoffs in 2013.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4b/8d/a1/4b8da1b12f8261483a72860e372189b2.jpg

Hang on. I am well aware GSU/App were ineligible for the postseason in 2013. I doubt I said anything to the contrary. I did note that neither would have made the postseason anyway (because they finished middle of the pack or worse in conference play). If anything, I was agreeing with you.

In fact, I was quite pleased that the SoCon avoided having to deal with App and GSU fans "winning" the SoCon in 2013 and having to sit out the post season.

PaladinFan
July 16th, 2018, 10:01 PM
OK, but whether intended or not, the OOC Playoff Teams scheduled are a fact. My question goes unanswered I see. FUB as for "it's not always about Samford you know" - THAT is exactly my point. Others in this conference are also scheduling these type teams(D-2 or unscholly). I hope Samford and other conference schools can find teams willing to play that are not in this category. I can also agree with expected negative responses from the title of this thread. Personally, I am not one to be braggadocios about my team, but I will usually defend against what I consider to be the posted unsubstantiated innuendos with what I see as logic and facts. Posting here doesn't have to be a be a one-way street. Samford's schedule has hurt the SoCon? It's more like Samford's wins have butt-hurt certain teams in the SoCon. xnodx We can agree to disagree, as this banter has gone about as far as I think it should. Glad when we will be discussing games instead of what seems to be petty finger pointing.

Just hold off sending me that URL, as I believe I already have it. I'm thinking that you have almost 400 posts(many good ones admittedly) on that same Board. xlolx

In reality, we agree. You want to see Samford play better out of conference teams. So do I. I'm not anti-Samford here. Samford just happens to be the topic of the thread.

You are free to bring logic and facts to the table. I don't see a really good reason for scheduling mostly bad D2 teams for five straight years beyond a cheap home game with no need to return the trip. Maybe there's another good reason. I'm open to suggestions.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Hang on. I am well aware GSU/App were ineligible for the postseason in 2013. I doubt I said anything to the contrary.

The only small footnote was that I do not believe App/GSU were playoff eligible in 2013.

Apparently, you’ve been hacked. Please change your password immediately!

Retraction...Apology...Amazon Gift Card to ameliorate my embarrassment?

UPDATE...HOLD ON...I missed the “not” in your original post and just read the “eligible” part...because I had already stated in my original post (that you were quoting) that they were ineligible so I thought the “footnote” was an attempted correction since the post you quoted of mine included the information in the footnote you ‘added.’ GOING TO CHECK...BRB

The only reason they were ineligible to win the Title AND ineligible to participate in the Playoffs is they started exceeding the 63 MAX Schollie limit to get ready to move down to the Scourge Belt.

Yep...this was in the post you quoted & to which you ‘added’ your redundant footnote which used the word “eligible.”

So...we both failed “Reading Comprehension” though my small oversight of a 3-letter word is certainly more understandable than you missing an entire sentence. On the other hand, I overlooked your “not” 2x.

No need to change your password & Guessing no Amazon Gift Card coming my way, huh? xbawlingx

Oh...BTW...SAMFORD SUX!!!

PaladinFan
July 17th, 2018, 04:37 AM
Probably could have used a "while" and a comma in that sentence. Not my best work. Probably my Furman education.

FUBeAR
July 17th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Probably could have used a "while" and a comma in that sentence. Not my best work. Probably my Furman education.Nor mine. It can be challenging, sometimes, to overcome that schoolin’ we received just outside Berea, SC.

Oh...didn’t mean to get off topic here...Samford SUX!!!

youcanbankit
July 21st, 2018, 09:01 PM

Could be, but I think it was a request from an old Georgia Alum that Samford folks know from the 1980 Georgia Championship team. His son is the New HC at Shorter and comes from that Georgia connection. Just a guess.

FUBeAR
July 21st, 2018, 10:47 PM
Could be, but I think it was a request from an old Georgia Alum that Samford folks know from the 1980 Georgia Championship team. His son is the New HC at Shorter and comes from that Georgia connection. Just a guess....and Shorter’s Head Coach’s brother played at Samford...

https://samfordsports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4035 from 2010 - 2013...

...so, it appears to be more likely “helpin’ a brother out” than PF’s conspiracy theory. In fact, with the family ties involved, one would think Coach Hatcher might even be a bit reluctant to run up the score on the hapless hawks.

Don’t get me wrong...I wouldn’t be surprised to see sammy hang a hundred on them and Hodges play wire to wire. On the other hand, there’s a new FR QB playing for the HomewoodHounds this Fall, for whom I’m sure Coach Hatcher would love to find opportunities to get on the field as he’s fairly close to this young Player’s Momma and he probably doesn’t want to get into any playing time debates with her. With the new redshirt rules, maybe this game with Shorter will provide him with just the opportunity he needs to stay out of the doghouse...so to speak.

We’ll see...

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2018, 07:08 AM
Could be, but I think it was a request from an old Georgia Alum that Samford folks know from the 1980 Georgia Championship team. His son is the New HC at Shorter and comes from that Georgia connection. Just a guess.

It really does not matter that it happens to be Shorter. As we’ve noted extensively on this thread, Samford has scheduled some pretty awful D2 teams the last few years not named Shorter. If it wasn’t Shorter, I imagine it would be a team like Shorter.

I understand that some teams will do a favor for a friend. I believe Wofford will occasionally play Mike Ayers’ alma mater, Georgetown (KY) for similar reasons. Or at least used to.

The only point I am making is that there have been various reports of Hodges on the doorstep of NCAA records. There are not, in my opinion, going to be a lot of opportunities this season for him to put some hay in the barn statistically. Shorter is one of those opportunities.

SU DOG
July 22nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
I don't know that young Hatcher will see action or not, but I'm thinking that Liam Welch, the heir apparent to Hodges, will. He got a RS last year and it would seem logical for him to be the first off the bench. The #3 QB, Jes Sutherland could possibly be the next sub. Sutherland did play a few snaps in one game last year. Given time, Shorter will definitely trend upward with Coach Morrison.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2018, 12:47 PM
I don't know that young Hatcher will see action or not, but I'm thinking that Liam Welch, the heir apparent to Hodges, will. He got a RS last year and it would seem logical for him to be the first off the bench. The #3 QB, Jes Sutherland could possibly be the next sub. Sutherland did play a few snaps in one game last year. Given time, Shorter will definitely trend upward with Coach Morrison.

Was Sutherland under center? The stat sheet shows him playing in games where you would not ordinarily expect to see the backup (like conference games Samford lost close). Was he just in for a play or two or at another position like holder for kicks?

I guess Welch redshirted as a sophomore, which is a little unique unless he was injured. It’s not uncommon for teams to redshirt the technical #2 and only pull the shirt if the starter goes out for extended periods of time. The technical #3 handles the backup duties and mop up roles.

SU DOG
July 22nd, 2018, 01:19 PM
Our QB does not operate from "under the center" but I think you are asking if Sutherland took snaps from the QB position. I have him taking only 6 snaps last year as the QB on those plays. Sutherland loves the school I suppose, since he is certainly a good player - Honorable Mention All-State in Georgia out of HS. He is probably a tremendous asset in practice.

FUBeAR
July 22nd, 2018, 02:37 PM
It really does not matter that it happens to be Shorter.

Oh...I thought we were trying to explain why in the world Samford has Shorter, specifically, on the schedule. I was going to advise that it was because none of these 3...

Heidelberg (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3214&s=300937)
497 | -0.12

Adams St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=30&s=300937)
498 | -0.12

IL Wesleyan (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3460&s=300937)
499 | -0.12

...had a corresponding open date, but then youcantbankit shed some light on the connection between sammy and Shorter; which seemed somewhat half-baked, so I fully baked it...almost.

Then I realized Massey Ratings must be limited to 500 rows in their listing of overall College Football rankings (Antelope Valley CC is #500, but, y’know, a CC, so I don’t think they are ‘schedulable’)...and that Shorter is actually ranked 521...and the full picture of the ‘connection’ became clear to me.

BUT...you’re just not being fair, PF. If sammy was really thinking about setting records, they could have, possibly, scheduled this Team...

Crown MN (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-0379030414683754:9954400133&ie=UTF-8&q=Crown%20MN%20Purple%20Storm,%20Football,%20Colle ge%20Football,%20St%20Bonifacius,%20MN&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Crown MN Purple Storm, Football, College Football, St Bonifacius, MN&gsc.page=1) Purple Storm (https://www.masseyratings.com/mascot.php?m=Purple%20Storm)
St Bonifacius, MN (https://www.masseyratings.com/place.php?v=5810)

Ranking:

Offense:

Defense:

https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_samford.gif
https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_crown.gif

Samford (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=6987&s=295489)
Crown MN (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1966&s=295489)

Actual Score

Most Likely

Median

Mean

Win Probability
100%
0%

...maybe we’ll see the Purple Storm in Homewood from 2019-2022, when the younger Hatcher gets his 4 years as the QB Starter for the bullpups.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2018, 03:19 PM
Our QB does not operate from "under the center" but I think you are asking if Sutherland took snaps from the QB position. I have him taking only 6 snaps last year as the QB on those plays. Sutherland loves the school I suppose, since he is certainly a good player - Honorable Mention All-State in Georgia out of HS. He is probably a tremendous asset in practice.

Right. I mean taking snaps as QB.

If Welch was redshirted, and Sutherland was the backup last season, do I understand that a non-Hodges Samford QB took only 6 snaps last season?

SU DOG
July 22nd, 2018, 03:39 PM
I could have missed some, but I think that is correct, rather than a previous comment that nobody but Hodges took a single snap.

PaladinFan
July 22nd, 2018, 07:35 PM
I could have missed some, but I think that is correct, rather than a previous comment that nobody but Hodges took a single snap.

If you are referring to me, that isn't what I said. I said no Samford QB but Hodges had thrown a pass. According to Samford's stat sheet, that's accurate.

SU DOG
July 22nd, 2018, 08:00 PM
Yes, that is accurate. For one, however, I have no problem with Hodges playing extensively if he can break some FCS passing records.

FUBeAR
July 22nd, 2018, 10:11 PM
Yes, that is accurate. For one, however, I have no problem with Hodges playing extensively if he can break some FCS passing records.

So...just curious...hypothetical question...

If replacing Massey’s #521 ranked Team, Shorter, on the schedule with Crown (MN), Massey’s #960 (the lowest ranking I saw), meant that he could break all of the NCAA FCS records that he is close to, but keeping Shorter meant that he couldn’t break any of them (with no other variables considered nor affected), would you prefer to play the Hawks or the Purple Storm?

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2018, 04:31 AM

Me neither. I hope he can manage to do it.

Initially, I was just surprised how little Hodges comes off the field. Using your numbers, last year it appears he was at QB for 861 of Samford’s 867 offensive plays in 2017 (99.3%).

I imagine he’ll play extensively in 2018 as well.

SU DOG
July 23rd, 2018, 10:09 AM
First off, to a QB who threw for a combined 6 TDs and 695 yards against 2 SEC schools in the last two seasons, it would not matter if the opponent was Hawks or Purple Storm. You guys can have at it, if you wish, as I am done with this thread.

FUBeAR
July 23rd, 2018, 11:59 AM
First off, to a QB who threw for a combined 6 TDs and 695 yards against 2 SEC schools in the last two seasons, it would not matter if the opponent was Hawks or Purple Storm. You guys can have at it, if you wish, as I am done with this thread.
OK, you’re clearly no Colonel Jessup though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXoNE14U_zM

...he answered the question.

Also...fairly disrespectful toward Shorter because if it wouldn’t matter, then you’re saying they are no better than the worst college football team in all of North America...and with their head coach a member of the extended Samford Football Family. Uhm, uhm, uhm.