10/13 at Tennessee-Martin
10/20 Austin Peay
10/27 at Tennessee Tech
11/3 Jacksonville State
11/10 Tennessee State
11/17 at Eastern Illinois

JaxStateManager
March 8th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Looking forward to November 3 already....the "Eighth Annual Beating Of The Bulldogs!"

TexasTerror
March 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Two sub-Div I games (West Alabama and Presbyterian) and an FBS game (GA Tech)...that stinks. Only way in is to probably win the OVC title this year for Samford considering the record they need to get to seven wins equals what is probably good enough for an OVC title...

I know the feeling...ugh!

walliver
March 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
For a school frequently rumored to be changing conferences, it is interesting that there is not a single SoCon school on the schedule.

gvilleapp
March 8th, 2007, 08:35 PM
For a school frequently rumored to be changing conferences, it is interesting that there is not a single SoCon school on the schedule.
My thoughts exactly. I see no reason why they could not have worked out a date with us for Oct 6th, except that they are trying to avoid a whipping. Still, would have been a good move I would think if they truly wanted in the SoCon and an invitation has not been extended already.

JaxSinfonian
March 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
My thoughts exactly. I see no reason why they could not have worked out a date with us for Oct 6th, except that they are trying to avoid a whipping. Still, would have been a good move I would think if they truly wanted in the SoCon and an invitation has not been extended already.

Keep in mind, it's the SoCon doing the courting here. Maybe the Bulldogs aren't interested in moving after all, or maybe they simply see no reason to curry favor with a league that came after them.

Sir William
March 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Keep in mind, it's the SoCon doing the courting here.

IMHO, inviting Samford into the SoCon is a mistake for the SoCon. Samford's football team is mediocre, and their athletic department as a whole isn't much better. And have you seen the football stadium?

SoCon brethren, let's be honest. We need to kindly invite ETSU back to our table as soon as they re-instate football, and also add Coastal.

Conference politics aside, this makes the most sense.

Forget Samford.

Mountaineer
March 8th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Agree completely. I don't want to see Samford in the SoCon. Nothing personal against the school, I don't know it well enough, but we need teams and athletic departments with vision.

I'd very much like to see ETSU added back as well. Wouldn't mind seeing Coastal either.

Cocky
March 8th, 2007, 09:33 PM
IMHO, inviting Samford into the SoCon is a mistake for the Socon. Samford's football team is mediocre, and their athletic department as a whole isn't much better. And have you seen the football stadium?

SoCon brethren, let's be honest. We need to kindly invite ETSU back to our table as soon as they re-instate football, and also add Coastal.

Conference politics aside, this makes the most sense.

Forget Samford.

Mediocre is being nice. They do have some fairly good sports like women's soccer, women's tennis, and women's golf.

The football field is small but it is quite nice.

catamount man
March 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Quit crying folks, Samford is in for 2008. Guaranteed!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Cocky
March 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

We're not crying it will improve our league in football.

Golden Eagle
March 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Pretty tough month of November they got there.

The Moody1
March 9th, 2007, 10:59 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Are they being brought in to try to keep the Catamounts out of the cellar in football?

chattanoogamocs
March 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
but we need teams and athletic departments with vision.

I don't know if I would call a school that just hired Pat Sullivan as head football coach (the name alone opens a lot of doors in Alabama...and with a Heisman, is well known nationally) and is in the middle of building a new $32 mil basketball arena as a school with no "vision".

...and who cares if they didn't schedule any SoCon teams for this year? If...when...they come, they will just switch out OVC for SoCon on the sked, so they might as well set up their non-conference opponents (since most of those are 2 to 4 year deals).

BTW...in case you don't think it is going to happen (good or bad, like it or dislike it)...I saw a number of "official types" wearing Samford University shirts in the VIP suite at the SoCon basketball tournament last week.

I know this is an odd way to look at it, but one of my criteria for selecting a school is how active a messageboard community they have...samfordbulldogs.com is more active than a number of our SoCon brethren (btw, I take pride in the fact that all our member institutions have dedicated fans sites :thumbsup: )

appfan2008
March 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I would much rather see a school such as Coastal join us in the Southern Conference as they want to join. They are building their football team and it is improving rapidly. I dont see Samford doing the same. And if they dont want to join us why do we want them? This is for all sports and they just arent good enough overall. Arent we trying to make the conference better and not pull it down?

Also IMO we should just stay where we are but if we have to add one team... (I know that would make it 12 basketball and 9 football (perfect numbers)) why not Coastal... it would stay inside our region and expand it which would not be smart financially. Also our premier sport is football so why not add a good program versus one that isnt IMO!

chattanoogamocs
March 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM
And if they dont want to join us why do we want them?

why not Coastal.

Also our premier sport is football so why not add a good program versus one that isnt IMO!

Where do you see that they don't want to join?

Apparently the majority of the AD's don't want Coastal.

That is debatable (which as been debated ad naseum). I prefer to say that football and basketball are both premier sports in the conference without favoring one over the other.

appfan2008
March 9th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I prefer to say that football and basketball are both premier sports in the conference without favoring one over the other.
And Samford will improve our basketball situation? Come on, please!

chattanoogamocs
March 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Not to turn this into a basketball conversation on a football board, but...

let's see, the average for the SoCon this year was 202, the median was 221...their RPI was 172.

Their RPI would have been 3rd best in the SoCon...between CofC and Furman. Not bad considering their team has SEVEN freshmen.

The year before that, when they finished at 107...that would have only been behind Davidson at 94.

(BTW...don't all up and arms dude, I am not taking a side...I am not necessarily for Samford nor against them...I was just trying to add some actual facts and information to the thread)

PaladinFan
March 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Why do we keep leaving out the one of the core issues? It's location. Coastal Carolina just isn't going to cut it. ETSU maaaaaybe if they get rid of that atrocity they played football in. Samford fits the footprint they are trying to make and that city has allllll kinds of money.

catamount man
March 9th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Are they being brought in to try to keep the Catamounts out of the cellar in football?

I was just stating the obvious as to what is gonna happen. Better luck next time, smart ass.xcoffeex

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BigApp
March 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
My thoughts exactly. I see no reason why they could not have worked out a date with us for Oct 6th, except that they are trying to avoid a whipping.

they're already going to get a whipping at GaTech!

PaladinFan
March 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Because everyone is sooooo afraid of mighty App State xcoffeex

BigApp
March 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
it's a good thing this isn't the Smack board, PF...

March 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM
it's a good thing this isn't the Smack board, PF...My thought exactly. Why all the smack here members?

R E S P E C T ! xcoffeex

89Hen
March 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM
What happened to Samford anyway? They showed so much promise when they first moved up. xconfusedx