PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls State Announces 2007 Schedule...

GeauxColonels
March 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
for 2007 SPRING football! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
2007 SPRING FOOTBALL SCHEDULE (http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Pre-Spring%20Practice%2007.htm)

Why does it seem as though we're always the last team in the country to announce a schedule? Hell, we have no idea who we might play in the coming years except the conference opponents!

Anyone else have this problem at their school?

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM
news flash, you ain't last..............come fall we might still have two or three TBD's on ours.

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM
btw I am really praying hard for a Nicholls vs ASU matchup here in the high country.

UNHWildCats
March 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
for 2007 SPRING football! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
2007 SPRING FOOTBALL SCHEDULE (http://www.colonelsports.com/football%20releases/Pre-Spring%20Practice%2007.htm)

Why does it seem as though we're always the last team in the country to announce a schedule? Hell, we have no idea who we might play in the coming years except the conference opponents!

Anyone else have this problem at their school?

10 demerits for you Mr Colonel :p

TexasTerror
March 8th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Nicholls St...

What do we know for OOC? All we've seen is those FBS matchups (Memphis and Rice). What else is in store?

Nicholls St
9/1 @ Rice
9/15 @ Memphis
10/6 Northwestern St
10/13 @ Stephen F Austin
10/20 McNeese State
10/27 @ Central Arkansas
11/3 @ Sam Houston State
11/10 Texas State - San Marcos
11/17 @ Southeastern Louisiana

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3851

TColonel
March 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM
The reason Nicholls is one of the last teams to complete their schedule is that many teams do not want to play an option team. Coach Thomas told me at a basketball game last week that he has many friends in coaching that would like to play him until they ask - "you still running the option" and once he says "yes" they tell him no thanks.

But, the schedule is nearly complete as it will look something like this:
9/1 @ Rice
9/8 Southern Arkansas
9/15 Slippery Rock*
9/22 or 9/29 @ Nevada*
10/6 Northwestern St
10/13 @ Stephen F Austin
10/20 McNeese State
10/27 @ Central Arkansas
11/3 @ Sam Houston State

* Memphis released a schedule that the Colonels would be going to them, but they jumped the gun. Memphis sent down a contract, but Nicholls never signed it as Nevada has given the Colonels a better financial payout (I am not sure what the amounts are though). The dates for these two games are a little up in the air, but from I have peiced together, this is close. All is nearly complete and something should be made official in a couple of weeks.

GeauxColonels
March 8th, 2007, 09:29 PM
The reason Nicholls is one of the last teams to complete their schedule is that many teams do not want to play an option team. Coach Thomas told me at a basketball game last week that he has many friends in coaching that would like to play him until they ask - "you still running the option" and once he says "yes" they tell him no thanks.

But, the schedule is nearly complete as it will look something like this:
9/1 @ Rice
9/8 Southern Arkansas
9/15 Slippery Rock*
9/22 or 9/29 @ Nevada*
10/6 Northwestern St
10/13 @ Stephen F Austin
10/20 McNeese State
10/27 @ Central Arkansas
11/3 @ Sam Houston State

* Memphis released a schedule that the Colonels would be going to them, but they jumped the gun. Memphis sent down a contract, but Nicholls never signed it as Nevada has given the Colonels a better financial payout (I am not sure what the amounts are though). The dates for these two games are a little up in the air, but from I have peiced together, this is close. All is nearly complete and something should be made official in a couple of weeks.
Well HELL!!! Where have you been all this time with that privilaged information?!?! Thanks for the info though....let us know if you hear anymore.

My brother-in-law was a trainer at Nicholls but he graduated and I have since lost my "inside look" at the athletics there.

Southern Arkansas and Slippery Rock huh? Just what I expected - 2 D-II games at home. Man, I understand the games against the FBS opponents to get us some cash for the program...but I really HATE playing 2 D-II opponents every year at home! :bang: Where are the South Dakota States and North Dakota States that we have played at home recently?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh and TColonel, any update on the field? Have they started work on it yet?

TColonel
March 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM
The coaches at Nicholls tell me quite a bit of information that does not come close to making it public and I do not like to say anything until it is very close to being made public, hence the reason for coming out with the scheduel info late. Here a little teaser - Jay is very excited about things for next year based on some transfers and kids gettting their GPA back up - but we will have to wait for things to be a little more concret for some offical news.

Also, the Colonels already made the return to NDSU and will go to SDSU in 2008.

GeauxColonels
March 8th, 2007, 09:51 PM
The coaches at Nicholls tell me quite a bit of information that does not come close to making it public and I do not like to say anything until it is very close to being made public, hence the reason for coming out with the scheduel info late. Here a little teaser - Jay is very excited about things for next year based on some transfers and kids gettting their GPA back up - but we will have to wait for things to be a little more concret for some offical news.

Also, the Colonels already made the return to NDSU and will go to SDSU in 2008.
Yeah I know they made the return trip...but man I would like to see more series like these against high-quality FCS schools. Hook up with some SoCon schools!

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Guessing Nevada game date is waiting on this whole WAC mess (Hawaii is having huge issues with their schedule, so WAC is waiting to see what happens)...

Memphis still has on their web site the Nicholls St game, which was a last minute replacement when Chattanooga left the schedule. Wonder what will happen on that front if Memphis loses that game against the Colonels...

TColonel
March 9th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Southern did the same thing last year as Nicholls told them that they were waiting for Nebraska to finalize the date that the Colonels would travel to Lincoln. Nicholls told Southern that if Nebraska picks to play the Colonels on one of the two dates that were being discussed, then they would play Southern to open the season. Well, Southern took that as a guarantee and announced their schedule with Nicholls as the opener before anything was ever settled with Nebraska. From what I understand, something along the same lines happened with Memphis this year as Nicholls was trying to complete their home schedule before signing any contract, especially one that pays less than other schools. Last I heard, the Memphis contract was sent to Nicholls, but never signed.

BigApp
March 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
this thread title is a false alarm!!

March 10th, 2007, 07:36 PM
for 2007 SPRING football!

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
this thread title is a false alarm!!

Hey now, the thread title does have '...' after the Nicholls St Announces 2007 Schedule...:nod:

BigApp
March 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM
well, you're correct about that...

TColonel
March 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
An update to the Nicholls schedule as Nevada has made it official as the Colonels will be their home opener on September 15th (http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10000&ATCLID=834196). The Colonels schedule will be released soon as they are just tying up a couple of loose ends. The scedule will be something like the following:

9/1 @ Rice
9/8 Southern Arkansas
9/15 @ Nevada
9/22 or 9/29 Texas College
10/6 Northwestern St
10/13 @ Stephen F Austin
10/20 McNeese State
10/27 @ Central Arkansas
11/3 @ Sam Houston State

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM
9/1 @ Rice
9/8 Southern Arkansas
9/15 @ Nevada
9/22 or 9/29 Texas College
10/6 Northwestern St
10/13 @ Stephen F Austin
10/20 McNeese State
10/27 @ Central Arkansas
11/3 @ Sam Houston State

A bit surprised about the Nevada date. Memphis was more of a 'regional foe' than a Nevada. Hope the pay day is good...

Not so thrilled about two sub-Div I foes (including an NAIA in Texas College). Must be tough for Colonels to bring teams in, but atleast they are regional and of course, very interested to see Bailiff's debut at the FBS level (Rice) against Nicholls...

TColonel
March 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
From what I have heard, Nevada is paying $135,000 more than Memphis for I believe a total of $350,000. Also, Rice is paying $250,000, which is not bad for Nicholls travel expenses to bus to Houston. Not to excited about Texas College, but I know that Coach Thomas did his best to get another home game with not many FCS schools able to come in this year.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
From what I have heard, Nevada is paying $135,000 more than Memphis for I believe a total of $350,000. Also, Rice is paying $250,000, which is not bad for Nicholls travel expenses to bus to Houston. Not to excited about Texas College, but I know that Coach Thomas did his best to get another home game with not many FCS schools able to come in this year.

I'm wondering if the SLC needs to step in and help schools with their OOC schedules OR how much is the SLC already helping? I think the SWAC having two more OOC games will make a huge difference...we'll see how that helps...

dbackjon
March 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
So Nevada filled the 9/15 opening with Nicholls State. I had been hoping NAU would have gotten that spot,

March 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Ol' Nevada is looking at Nicholls as a breather game...

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS06/703270331/1018/SPORTS
Nicholls State added to Wolf Pack schedule
DAN HINXMAN
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
"... [coach] Ault said the game against Nicholls State, which incidentally played at Nebraska last season, losing 56-7, strikes a bit of a balance and gives his team a travel break after having to go halfway across the country on successive weeks to open the season.

"What's critical to understand is next year's schedule is tough enough," said Ault, whose team begins spring practice today at 2:30 p.m. at Wolf Pack Park. "Nebraska, then back across the country for Northwestern (in Evanston, Ill.), those are critical games to open the season. Our mental toughness is going to have to equal our physical toughness.

"In this day and age, you've got to have six home games. Teams like San Jose State and Boise State are all playing I-AA teams. This fits into our M.O." ..."

TColonel
March 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I sure do hope they overlook the Colonels. With 10 starters returning on offense and 7 on defense combined with some juco and FBS transfers, the Colonels could be close to where they were in 2005. Last season the Colonels had inexperienced QB's along with an injury to FB All-American Broderick Cole and first team SLC RB Joe Tobias out due to grades. Well, the QB's now have their experience and both Cole and Tobias are expected to be ready to run this season.

GeauxColonels
March 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I sure do hope they overlook the Colonels. With 10 starters returning on offense and 7 on defense combined with some juco and FBS transfers, the Colonels could be close to where they were in 2005. Last season the Colonels had inexperienced QB's along with an injury to FB All-American Broderick Cole and first team SLC RB Joe Tobias out due to grades. Well, the QB's now have their experience and both Cole and Tobias are expected to be ready to run this season.
I agree. I think we will see definite improvement in the team this year (although I think that can be said about the SLC in general).

Any idea who will be the starting QB? Chauvin came in and did a pretty good job at running the option in his freshman year. I'm excited to see if he can improve on that and the offense can develop a serious, legitimate passing threat to add to the triple-option. That could give opposing defenses more problems.

March 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
another wire story...

Las Vegas Sun, Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:22 PM PDT
Nevada adds I-AA team to `07 fb schedule; Big 12 teams in future http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2007/mar/27/032710873.html
RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nevada opens the 2007 football season on the road at Nebraska and Northwestern so Coach Chris Ault figures he doesn't have to apologize for rounding out the non-conference slate with Division I-AA's Nicholls State.

TexasTerror
March 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Nevada won't know what hit them when the Colonels roll into town...

I'm sure the FCS will have some nice wins already on the board by that time, so hopefully these folks can actually realize the potential for an "upset"...

TColonel
March 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I agree. I think we will see definite improvement in the team this year (although I think that can be said about the SLC in general).

Any idea who will be the starting QB? Chauvin came in and did a pretty good job at running the option in his freshman year. I'm excited to see if he can improve on that and the offense can develop a serious, legitimate passing threat to add to the triple-option. That could give opposing defenses more problems.

Honestly, I do not know who the quarterback will be next year. I have heard that all three have greatly improved and that the passing game will be more of a factor this season, althought the Colonels were suppose to pass the ball more during Yale Vannoy's senior season but instead set numerous rushing records mostly becuase of the two headed monster of Cole and Tobias, which should be back.

I also know that Coach Thomas is very high on the newly signed QB out of Victoria,TX - Tyler McAfee, who rushed for 2,334 yards and 42 touchdowns during his senior season under the same coach who coached Vannoy in the same style triple option offense. He also had one game where he scored 8 touchdowns and rushed for 324 yards.

PSUVikings
March 28th, 2007, 09:13 AM
good luck figuring out how to stop that akward offense

TColonel
March 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM
good luck figuring out how to stop that akward offense

I am hoping that the thier opening road trips to Nebraska and Northwestern take some bullets out of their "pistol formation" (yes, bad pun) and that they are not prepared for the triple option. Hopefully the Colonels can pull out a high scoring upset.

GeauxColonels
April 2nd, 2007, 09:22 PM
Honestly, I do not know who the quarterback will be next year. I have heard that all three have greatly improved and that the passing game will be more of a factor this season, althought the Colonels were suppose to pass the ball more during Yale Vannoy's senior season but instead set numerous rushing records mostly becuase of the two headed monster of Cole and Tobias, which should be back.

I also know that Coach Thomas is very high on the newly signed QB out of Victoria,TX - Tyler McAfee, who rushed for 2,334 yards and 42 touchdowns during his senior season under the same coach who coached Vannoy in the same style triple option offense. He also had one game where he scored 8 touchdowns and rushed for 324 yards.
Sounds good! I LOVE the triple-option offense, don't get me wrong, but we REALLY need to pass the ball more when opposing defenses put 9 men in the box!