PDA

View Full Version : A&T's AD Had Interesting Things to Say About Conf. Affiliation & Celebration Bowl

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2018, 09:01 AM
https://hbcugameday.com/2018/06/15/the-t-is-for-transition-ncat-ad-gives-glimpse-into-programs-future/

https://twitter.com/Turkin35/status/1007643576887664640

1:10: The school's championships in the 2017-18 year.
10:15: BB&T naming rights deal
16:00: The facilities arms'race in college sports
19:00: Making Club Corbett a difficult place for opponents to play basketball.
20:54: Rumored 1st home basketball game
21:36: What football player Tarik Cohen and track sprinter Chris Belcher have done for the university.
29:46: Conference realignment and where A&T stands.
34:26: Lunch from Mythos Grill in Greensboro.

dgtw
June 17th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Sounds like they are either actively seeking a new home or putting word out there they are ripe for the taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
June 17th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I just don't know of a conference that wants A&T outside of the MEAC.

Big South?
CAA?
SoCon?

TheKingpin28
June 17th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I just don't know of a conference that wants A&T outside of the MEAC.

Big South?
CAA?
SoCon?

Big South would be a solid spot. I doubt the CAA or SoCon would take you and it would easily make the BS a 2 and potentially 3 deep playoff berth year in and year out.

FUBeAR
June 17th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Big South would be a solid spot. I doubt the CAA or SoCon would take you and it would easily make the BS a 2 and potentially 3 deep playoff berth year in and year out.I, for one, as just a lowly fan, would love to see the Aggies in the SoCon. Would be a fun road trip to The Gate City.

Anthony215
June 18th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Football wise I can't see why the CAA wouldn't want the Aggies. They play in a decent market, fanbase is pretty stable and loyal with pretty good attendance numbers and helps expand the CAA brand by having a HBCU program. Their stadium isn't on JMU's level but its better than Nova, Rhode Island, Maine and I'll even say Albany. Travel wise it makes sense basketball and football as they'd be close to Elon

Lion1983
June 18th, 2018, 04:37 PM
A-Sun/Big South

UNHWildcat18
June 18th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Football wise I can't see why the CAA wouldn't want the Aggies. They play in a decent market, fanbase is pretty stable and loyal with pretty good attendance numbers and helps expand the CAA brand by having a HBCU program. Their stadium isn't on JMU's level but its better than Nova, Rhode Island, Maine and I'll even say Albany. Travel wise it makes sense basketball and football as they'd be close to Elon

lol CAA isn't taking them or anyone else. Also Albany's stadium is great, no track, right on the action, nice video board. IMO

WileECoyote06
June 19th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Why wouldn't current member institutions move to block the Aggies?

I can't imagine Elon wants their neighboring school in the CAA. If coaches use conference affiliation as a lure for recruits, then why would Elon want A&T to join them in a more competitive conference? I'd think the same for High Point, and Campbell (Big South). They don't really bring in a TV market that isn't already covered by member institutions and they all might lose a recruiting edge.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Big South or SoCon would be good for them.

This is me reading the replies here so I don't know what he actually said - what was his comments on the Celebration Bowl?

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Big South, unless the SoCon suddenly starts thinking outside the envelope. The Big South with Hampton and NCAT sounds like a winning combination. Also might allow Monmouth to move to the CAA or Patriot.

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Big South, unless the SoCon suddenly starts thinking outside the envelope. The Big South with Hampton and NCAT sounds like a winning combination. Also might allow Monmouth to move to the CAA or Patriot.

The Big South would be a interesting landing for A&T, and perhaps spur similar conversation at Del State, another school which has expressed frustration with the way the MEAC does business.

Monmouth? Unless Georgetown moved to the NEC, or a new AD at Fordham suddenly got an urge to play in the CAA, I don't think the PL presidents would be looking to add Monmouth given its presumed academic standing.

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/new-jersey/monmouth-university/admission/

UNHWildcat18
June 19th, 2018, 12:27 PM
The Big South would be a interesting landing for A&T, and perhaps spur similar conversation at Del State, another school which has expressed frustration with the way the MEAC does business.

Monmouth? Unless Georgetown moved to the NEC, or a new AD at Fordham suddenly got an urge to play in the CAA, I don't think the PL presidents would be looking to add Monmouth given its presumed academic standing.

CAA wouldn't take monmouth or Fordham, stadiums too small

kdinva
June 19th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Big South, .......The Big South with Hampton and NCAT sounds like a winning combination.....

The Big South adding both NC A&T and Del. State (and N. Alabama already coming) would give them 8 FB schools, and 12 for Men's hoops.......both are right on quantities. would be a less of a headache for FB scheduling O O C games, too..

WestCoastAggie
June 19th, 2018, 12:34 PM

A&T in the SoCon would make MAJOR headlines, generating attention for the school and all conference members.

UNCG would also have to play us in basketball consistently.

WestCoastAggie
June 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM
The Big South adding both NC A&T and Del. State (and N. Alabama already coming) would give them 8 FB schools, and 12 for Men's hoops.......both are right on quantities. would be a less of a headache for FB scheduling O O C games, too..

I don't know if A&T football would save on travel heading to New Jersey, Delaware and Alabama for games.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 19th, 2018, 12:41 PM
A&T in the SoCon would make MAJOR headlines, generating attention for the school and all conference members.

NCAT in the SoCon makes loads of sense. The question is whether the SoCon leadership is in the business of sense.

DFW HOYA
June 19th, 2018, 01:27 PM
CAA wouldn't take monmouth or Fordham, stadiums too small

Fordham could add temporary seats along the visitor's side much like Northeastern used to do at Parsons Field (below). They could be up to 11-12,000 without much effort. That still might not be enough in today's CAA (excepting URI).

https://www.northeastern.edu/campusrec/images/parsons.jpg

Sader87
June 19th, 2018, 01:34 PM
A fair amount of CAA stadiums aren't that big are they? Most are about 12K or so and less, right?

Moot point anyway, as FCS attendance has cratered in the Northeast this Century.

Lion1983
June 19th, 2018, 02:36 PM

I can't imagine Elon wants their neighboring school in the CAA. If coaches use conference affiliation as a lure for recruits, then why would Elon want A&T to join them in a more competitive conference? I'd think the same for High Point, and Campbell (Big South). They don't really bring in a TV market that isn't already covered by member institutions and they all might lose a recruiting edge.

High Point and Campbell can't block them if they join the A-Sun. After they join the A-Sun, football automatically goes Big South.

WileECoyote06
June 20th, 2018, 10:21 AM

You think UNC-G wants to jeopardize their recruiting edge?

WileECoyote06
June 20th, 2018, 10:26 AM
High Point and Campbell can't block them if they join the A-Sun. After they join the A-Sun, football automatically goes Big South.

Interesting. The Atlantic Sun stretches even further than the MEAC, with half of their schools being in Florida. That's not likely to happen. The biggest issue with the MEAC is travel.

WileECoyote06
June 20th, 2018, 10:28 AM

Trust me, not many MEAC fans would lose sleep if Delaware State joined the NEC. xlolx Heck, they'd be fixing the problem for us.

WestCoastAggie
June 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM
You think UNC-G wants to jeopardize their recruiting edge?

What they want and what could happen are two totally different things, especially since Football and Baseball drive the SoCon. And since they don't have Football, they won't have too much to say, I suspect.

Not to mention, they could have major incentive to move their basketball tournament to Greensboro.

Lion1983
June 20th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Interesting. The Atlantic Sun stretches even further than the MEAC, with half of their schools being in Florida. That's not likely to happen. The biggest issue with the MEAC is travel.

I don't recall reading anywhere about travel being an issue with A&T. And on travel, this is just my take, if you are worried about travel cost, maybe D1 isn't for your school. Go down to D2 or even NAIA and stop complaining.

Professor
June 20th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I don't recall reading anywhere about travel being an issue with A&T. And on travel, this is just my take, if you are worried about travel cost, maybe D1 isn't for your school. Go down to D2 or even NAIA and stop complaining.

You realize we travel from Delaware to Florida right

walliver
June 20th, 2018, 04:17 PM
The SoCon is quite happy with 9 football schools, and UNC-G to balance out basketball. No new football school is coming in unless someone else leaves first.

Lion1983
June 20th, 2018, 06:35 PM

What part of my statement would make you think I didn't realize that?

PantherRob82
June 20th, 2018, 07:36 PM
What part of my statement would make you think I didn't realize that?

When I read this post I imagine Samuel L Jackson delivering this line.

OL FU
June 20th, 2018, 08:08 PM
The SoCon is quite happy with 9 football schools, and UNC-G to balance out basketball. No new football school is coming in unless someone else leaves first.

I agree this is the key for the socon. I would love a&t but it isn’t gonna happen unless something causes it to happen like somebody leaving

kdinva
June 20th, 2018, 08:22 PM

+1

JSUSoutherner
June 20th, 2018, 11:00 PM

Just be glad you aren't in the Big Sky.

Mike296
June 21st, 2018, 11:20 AM
I wouldn’t mind them in the OVC but then that creates a travel nightmare so idk if that would ever happen.

JSUSoutherner
June 21st, 2018, 11:50 AM
I wouldn’t mind them in the OVC but then that creates a travel nightmare so idk if that would ever happen.
Yeah not sure SEMO, Martin, EIU, SIUe, or Murray would go for that one.

However what we could do is add UNA and KSU as well as NC A&T, tell TSU to play a full conference schedule or kick rocks, and create two 6 team divisions. Play the teams in your division and half of the other alternating each year and you still get your 8 games a year and closer matchups.

East-
JSU
UNA
KSU
NC A&T
TSU
TTU

West-
APSU
Murray
UTM
EIU
EKU
SEMO

TTU would get their **** rocked yearly in that division. xlolx

GAD
June 21st, 2018, 12:40 PM
Changing conferences can kill your fan base

phoenix3
June 21st, 2018, 01:48 PM

I could maybe see Campbell but why would High Point want to block NCAT?

PantherRob82
June 21st, 2018, 02:00 PM
I don't see why anyone would block them. It's not like people are just going to go support NCAT because they joined a new conference. They probably don't get much media coverage as is, it's not like the Aggies are going to ruin that.

WestCoastAggie
June 21st, 2018, 05:15 PM
Yeah not sure SEMO, Martin, EIU, SIUe, or Murray would go for that one.

However what we could do is add UNA and KSU as well as NC A&T, tell TSU to play a full conference schedule or kick rocks, and create two 6 team divisions. Play the teams in your division and half of the other alternating each year and you still get your 8 games a year and closer matchups.

East-
JSU
UNA
KSU
NC A&T
TSU
TTU

West-
APSU
Murray
UTM
EIU
EKU
SEMO

TTU would get their **** rocked yearly in that division. xlolx

Murray State already wants to join the MVC. I think they'd pursue that move ASAP and just take football the Indy route in this scenario.

DFW HOYA
June 21st, 2018, 05:20 PM
Changing conferences can kill your fan base

Changing conferences doesn't kill a fan base, losing does.

TCU was in four different conferences in a 16 year period, and the fan base roughly doubled. SMU was in three conferences in that same time span and their fan based dropped by as much as two-thirds.

The Horned Frogs are legitimately selling out a 46,000 seat stadium. SMU gets 10-12,000 through he turnstiles for most of its games.

GAD
June 21st, 2018, 09:08 PM
Changing conferences doesn't kill a fan base, losing does.

TCU was in four different conferences in a 16 year period, and the fan base roughly doubled. SMU was in three conferences in that same time span and their fan based dropped by as much as two-thirds.

The Horned Frogs are legitimately selling out a 46,000 seat stadium. SMU gets 10-12,000 through he turnstiles for most of its games.
If fans are not interested in the matchups that the new conference provides they will not show up

DeltaDevil662
June 22nd, 2018, 07:11 AM
If fans are not interested in the matchups that the new conference provides they will not show up

Acting like we haven't seen this for 30 years with Tennessee State. Hampton is gonna find out as well (and their fan base is not close to what TSU is)

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2018, 08:19 AM
Acting like we haven't seen this for 30 years with Tennessee State. Hampton is gonna find out as well (and their fan base is not close to what TSU is)

Their fanbase didn't even support them like that in the MEAC. Even their attendance playing A&T, Howard and Norfolk began to slack for a while now. Hosting Monmouth over Delaware State or Charleston Southern over SC State won't show much of a difference.

WileECoyote06
June 22nd, 2018, 12:13 PM
I could maybe see Campbell but why would High Point want to block NCAT?
Basketball and baseball recruiting. But to be fair, High Point probably recruits nationally.

DeltaDevil662
June 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Oh yeah. If A&T were to make a move, it needs to be to FBS not a lateral move to a FCS conference and lose money from home games in match ups that no one wants to see.

At least in FBS you could see it making some sense money wise if there were in the Sun Belt (whenever they decide to replace the next team that leaves)

Professor
June 25th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah. If A&T were to make a move, it needs to be to FBS not a lateral move to a FCS conference and lose money from home games in match ups that no one wants to see.

At least in FBS you could see it making some sense money wise if there were in the Sun Belt (whenever they decide to replace the next team that leaves)

FBS bwhahaha.

DeltaDevil662
June 25th, 2018, 04:10 PM
FBS bwhahaha.

I forgot some of yall feel at home over here with the playoff lovers begging for acceptance from the same people that was happy that your gave up your auto bid so that a more deserving team could get that spot.

Professor
June 26th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I forgot some of yall feel at home over here with the playoff lovers begging for acceptance from the same people that was happy that your gave up your auto bid so that a more deserving team could get that spot.

Sigh not at all. Guess you missed when FAMU tried to go FBS and went into a 7 million debt. We are fine at the FCS level. The MEAC lacks leadership. The only thing we have done positive is the Celebration Bowl. Where are the streaming deals, conference challenges to help raise our conference profile. We have been last or next to last in RPI in football and basketball for the last 20 years. Change is needed

JSUSoutherner
June 26th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Cause the Sunbelt is known for it's money. Just ask Idaho how that went for them.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2018, 10:08 AM
FBS bwhahaha.

You do know that an idea to go FBS was floated in Greensboro when Chancellor Rennick first came into power, right?

Now the guy who floated the idea to the Admin at the time was an alleged crook and it never got off the ground. However, should we ever decide to make the jump, if the Sun Belt or C-USA ever invited A&T, we would have a very calculated plan to do so, with sponsorship dollars flowing in to help increase the budget.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Cause the Sunbelt is known for it's money. Just ask Idaho how that went for them.

I mean Idaho isn't necessarily a sun belt state, from my understanding.

JSUSoutherner
June 26th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I mean Idaho isn't necessarily a sun belt state, from my understanding.
Ok. You guys want to be the next ULM?

Look at how much Georgia Southern's flourished in the Sunbelt. IRRC, they're so good they've been throwing the idea of cutting football around.

I forgot Texas State was even a thing until I googled the Sunbelt just now.

Not to mention all of NC A&T's HBCU friends will still be in the FCS, effectively ending all future Classics for the Aggies. I'm sure the alumni would be thrilled.

Thumper 76
June 26th, 2018, 11:27 AM

99% certain most on here are unhappy the MEAC and SWAC gave up their autos for the playoffs to do the Celebration Bowl.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2018, 12:55 PM

You know, I think our budget is bigger than ULM's. xlolx

Look at how much Georgia Southern's flourished in the Sunbelt. IRRC, they're so good they've been throwing the idea of cutting football around.

No way!

xlolx

Not to mention all of NC A&T's HBCU friends will still be in the FCS, effectively ending all future Classics for the Aggies. I'm sure the alumni would be thrilled.

Here's where I disagree with you. Back in the 1980's, NCCU left the MEAC once the conference's transition to 1-AA was completed. They returned to the CIAA and Division 2, yet we continued to play them in a classic until 2005. The game was on Labor Day weekend most years, and our attendance reached over 50K around 2000-2003. Our division affiliation didn't affect our game. With our fanbase, winning will draw in and maintain our home attendance, regardless of who we play.

Aside from the "classic" game we're playing with you all in Montgomery, we haven't played in a classic game since playing the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and ATL Classic in 2014. Those games would happen for us should a move out of the MEAC to another FBS or FCS conference.

Now that's not to say portions of the fanbase wouldn't be angry. There will be a vocal, and annoying minority that would "fight" the move tooth and nail. However, most of us don't even know what conference we play in.

JSUSoutherner
June 26th, 2018, 01:25 PM
You know, I think our budget is bigger than ULM's. xlolx

No way!

xlolx

Here's where I disagree with you. Back in the 1980's, NCCU left the MEAC once the conference's transition to 1-AA was completed. They returned to the CIAA and Division 2, yet we continued to play them in a classic until 2005. The game was on Labor Day weekend most years, and our attendance reached over 50K around 2000-2003. Our division affiliation didn't affect our game. With our fanbase, winning will draw in and maintain our home attendance, regardless of who we play.

Aside from the "classic" game we're playing with you all in Montgomery, we haven't played in a classic game since playing the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and ATL Classic in 2014. Those games would happen for us should a move out of the MEAC to another FBS or FCS conference.

Now that's not to say portions of the fanbase wouldn't be angry. There will be a vocal, and annoying minority that would "fight" the move tooth and nail. However, most of us don't even know what conference we play in.

No FBS team schedules FCS teams at nuetral sites. None of them. At all. That sentiment alone that you guys could still play those nuetral site HBCU games won't fly in the Sunbelt. It's the reason that as soon as Troy moved up they immidiately ended our rivalry series that had been going since 1924 and haven't even entertained the idea of trying to restart it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_the_Ol%27_School_Bell

However, if your adminstration thinks you guys can survive the onslaught from your alumni when they hear that they won't be playing anymore HBCUs and think you guys can win consistently enough to not become ULM, do what you want. I just don't think it makes sense. Even for non-HBCU schools it doesn't make sense to me. If you guys dump the Celebration Bowl you can compete for national championships at this level. In the Sunbelt you would be competing for a spot in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl against Miami of Ohio. Why?

Panther88
June 26th, 2018, 02:24 PM
No FBS team schedules FCS teams at nuetral sites. None of them. At all. That sentiment alone that you guys could still play those nuetral site HBCU games won't fly in the Sunbelt. It's the reason that as soon as Troy moved up they immidiately ended our rivalry series that had been going since 1924 and haven't even entertained the idea of trying to restart it.

However, if your adminstration thinks you guys can survive the onslaught from your alumni when they hear that they won't be playing anymore HBCUs and think you guys can win consistently enough to not become ULM, do what you want. I just don't think it makes sense. Even for non-HBCU schools it doesn't make sense to me. If you guys dump the Celebration Bowl you can compete for national championships at this level. In the Sunbelt you would be competing for a spot in the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl against Miami of Ohio. Why?

Not entirely true, sir. Grambling St and la tech squared off in Shreveport @ independence stadium in 2010(?), thereabouts. Both schools received a split of the gate, if memory serves correct.

WileECoyote06
June 26th, 2018, 04:15 PM
You do know that an idea to go FBS was floated in Greensboro when Chancellor Rennick first came into power, right?

Now the guy who floated the idea to the Admin at the time was an alleged crook and it never got off the ground. However, should we ever decide to make the jump, if the Sun Belt or C-USA ever invited A&T, we would have a very calculated plan to do so, with sponsorship dollars flowing in to help increase the budget.

I remember it all so well. Same guy who wanted Alabama State to pursue FBS.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Not entirely true, sir. Grambling St and la tech squared off in Shreveport @ independence stadium in 2010(?), thereabouts. Both schools received a split of the gate, if memory serves correct.

Yep. And best believe that we would still field calls to play in a classic against at MEAC or SWAC foe, should that ever happen.

WestCoastAggie
June 26th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Now this is a hypothetical thing that could happen. However, that’s vocal against leaving the MEAC would stomach a move to FBS. They would do so because in their heads, we’re equivalent athletically to NC State and UNC. It’s why alumni were angry we only got “just” $1.5 million from BB&T for naming rights of Aggie Stadium for 15 years, instead of anywhere from $5-$15 million.

I’m not saying that mentality is right or wrong; I’m just telling you what would happen.

GAD
June 26th, 2018, 06:20 PM

VA tech and James Madison played in DC

grayghost06
June 26th, 2018, 07:18 PM
VA tech and James Madison played in DC

It was West Virginia that we played at FedEx Field.

GAD
June 26th, 2018, 07:59 PM
It was West Virginia that we played at FedEx Field.
Gotcha Did you beat VA tech in a neutral site game?

Professor
June 27th, 2018, 11:20 AM
99% certain most on here are unhappy the MEAC and SWAC gave up their autos for the playoffs to do the Celebration Bowl.

on
Just so we are clear, i'm not upset at all. I like the bowl game concept and the funds and name recognition it brings.

unknown3
June 27th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Or, you could just as easily be the next Troy that just beat LSU at home last year and took Clemson to the wire. As far as the rest of that, you do know that the same logic applies to FCS...right? Like outside of people that really follow FCS, who knows Jacksonville State, or North Alabama, or Murray State is "a thing?" Just sayin.

unknown3
June 27th, 2018, 01:29 PM

And, realistically, that Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl against Miami of Ohio would still give you much better option financially and likely in terms of publicity as well. As much as people here slight the Sunbelt, FCS is not in a better position.

knit35
June 27th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Gotcha Did you beat VA tech in a neutral site game?

VA Tech Win was in Blacksburg

Thumper 76
June 27th, 2018, 02:06 PM
on
Just so we are clear, i'm not upset at all. I like the bowl game concept and the funds and name recognition it brings.

I should have clarified, I meant most non HBCU guys who are upset. It sure seems to me most of the fans of the teams in the Celebration Bowl are happy with it.

Personally I wish they would play in the playoffs with their best teams, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it. A team like A&T being good and participating in the playoffs is more fun for the whole subdivision. Also, it bugs the hell out of me to see people who don’t really care to participate in the subdivision get riled up about their teams placement in the AGS poll.

JSUSoutherner
June 27th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Or, you could just as easily be the next Troy that just beat LSU at home last year and took Clemson to the wire. As far as the rest of that, you do know that the same logic applies to FCS...right? Like outside of people that really follow FCS, who knows Jacksonville State, or North Alabama, or Murray State is "a thing?" Just sayin.
Went to see Jurrasic World in Birmingham last night with my girlfriend. Saw more JSU gear at the theater than UAB, Troy, Samford, or even Auburn.

DeltaDevil662
June 27th, 2018, 03:28 PM
And, realistically, that Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl against Miami of Ohio would still give you much better option financially and likely in terms of publicity as well. As much as people here slight the Sunbelt, FCS is not in a better position.

Sure not.

POD Knows
June 27th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Went to see Jurrasic World in Birmingham last night with my girlfriend. Saw more JSU gear at the theater than UAB, Troy, Samford, or even Auburn.Maybe people from those other schools have better taste in movies and actually spend their entertainment $$ on decent flicks. Sorry, it was low hanging fruit. xlolx

JSUSoutherner
June 27th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Maybe people from those other schools have better taste in movies and actually spend their entertainment $$ on decent flicks. Sorry, it was low hanging fruit. xlolx

Perhaps. I didn't think it was anything spectacular. Pretty much a rehash of the first film.

Still, hard to beat $7 a ticket.

unknown3
June 28th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Went to see Jurrasic World in Birmingham last night with my girlfriend. Saw more JSU gear at the theater than UAB, Troy, Samford, or even Auburn.

O....K? If this is your attempt to say that JSU is more popular in Bham than UAB or Auburn then this post really isnt worth responding to lol. Absolutely NO ONE but you would believe that.

Lion1983
June 29th, 2018, 06:34 AM
O....K? If this is your attempt to say that JSU is more popular in Bham than UAB or Auburn then this post really isnt worth responding to lol. Absolutely NO ONE but you would believe that.

UAB? Popular? I will have to say, JSU is a lot more popular in the whole state of Alabama than UAB. And I'm a casual UAB fan.

Professor
June 29th, 2018, 08:47 AM
I should have clarified, I meant most non HBCU guys who are upset. It sure seems to me most of the fans of the teams in the Celebration Bowl are happy with it.

Personally I wish they would play in the playoffs with their best teams, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it. A team like A&T being good and participating in the playoffs is more fun for the whole subdivision. Also, it bugs the hell out of me to see people who don’t really care to participate in the subdivision get riled up about their teams placement in the AGS poll.

The playoffs have to come up with a better structure. And then the paying to host thing, IMO is unnecessary. Just a money grab. Fun yes, but in reality same fun can be had in a home and home. If / when the bowl game ends, we shall see what the reentry into the playoff structure looks like.

Polls don't really matter , moreso bragging rights. We all know its gonna be NDSU or JMU at the end of the season anyway

unknown3
June 29th, 2018, 11:16 PM
UAB? Popular? I will have to say, JSU is a lot more popular in the whole state of Alabama than UAB. And I'm a casual UAB fan.

That's what you choose to believe. True? No.

Lion1983
July 1st, 2018, 10:26 AM
That's what you choose to believe. True? No.

Just going by what I see dude. Look at attendance at JSU and UAB games and tell me what you think genius.

unknown3
July 1st, 2018, 04:12 PM
JSU is in a little bitty 3 red light stop town with absolutely nothing else to do. Your stadium is also right on your campus while UAB had to play in Legion Field (which MANY people hated going to due to the surrounding area.) Still, that doesn't equate to being more popular lol. Not even close. JSU is probably more popular in that area, but in Birmingham and southward nah.

Laker
July 1st, 2018, 04:16 PM
The playoffs have to come up with a better structure. And then the paying to host thing, IMO is unnecessary. Just a money grab. Fun yes, but in reality same fun can be had in a home and home. If / when the bowl game ends, we shall see what the reentry into the playoff structure looks like.

Polls don't really matter , moreso bragging rights. We all know its gonna be NDSU or JMU at the end of the season anyway

Any thoughts about NC A&T joining the ASun with football going to Big South?

Lion1983
July 1st, 2018, 04:44 PM

Yes, I think it will happen within the next 3 years.

Lion1983
July 1st, 2018, 04:49 PM
People not pale

WestCoastAggie
July 1st, 2018, 09:16 PM

The A-Sun wouldn't alleviate our travel budget for olympic sports like the SoCon or Big South would.

Lion1983
July 1st, 2018, 11:58 PM
The A-Sun wouldn't alleviate our travel budget for olympic sports like the SoCon or Big South would.

Didn't know y'all had a budget problem....
I guess if y'all want to cut expenses, Winston Salem and Savannah St would love to have you back with them.

ST_Lawson
July 2nd, 2018, 10:36 AM
JSU is in a little bitty 3 red light stop town with absolutely nothing else to do. Your stadium is also right on your campus while UAB had to play in Legion Field (which MANY people hated going to due to the surrounding area.) Still, that doesn't equate to being more popular lol. Not even close. JSU is probably more popular in that area, but in Birmingham and southward nah.

Not arguing your point, but to be fair, being in a small town with nothing else to do doesn't automatically mean everyone in town goes to your games...unfortunately.

WestCoastAggie
July 2nd, 2018, 11:15 AM
Didn't know y'all had a budget problem....
I guess if y'all want to cut expenses, Winston Salem and Savannah St would love to have you back with them.

That was a cold statement.

We don't have a budget problem. However, as an HBCU, we have to be very prudent with our finances at every level. It's one of the reason why we even looked at leaving the MEAC. Our women's volleyball or softball teams shouldn't have to bus it from NC to the Deep South for games.

Going D-2 cuts our nose off, to spite our face. Why would we cut revenue generators to save money. That also cuts sponsorship activities from corporations, nullifying any cost savings from dropping down.

IMHO, if we were to leave the MEAC, we gotta head to a conference like the SoCon. However, we wouldn't get an invite unless someone leaves. The Big South would work too, especially for the olympic sports. We would bite the bullet too if the CAA ever invites us too.

Ultimately, I would love if we received an FBS invite from either the C-USA or Big South. But, that's just a mere dream right now.

Mike296
July 2nd, 2018, 12:56 PM
You wouldn’t be to bad off in the OVC and it would give the rest of the conference a footprint in NC but as stated earlier in the thread a few teams wouldn’t agree to you guys joining.

unknown3
July 2nd, 2018, 05:00 PM
That was a cold statement.

We don't have a budget problem. However, as an HBCU, we have to be very prudent with our finances at every level. It's one of the reason why we even looked at leaving the MEAC. Our women's volleyball or softball teams shouldn't have to bus it from NC to the Deep South for games.

Going D-2 cuts our nose off, to spite our face. Why would we cut revenue generators to save money. That also cuts sponsorship activities from corporations, nullifying any cost savings from dropping down.

IMHO, if we were to leave the MEAC, we gotta head to a conference like the SoCon. However, we wouldn't get an invite unless someone leaves. The Big South would work too, especially for the olympic sports. We would bite the bullet too if the CAA ever invites us too.

Ultimately, I would love if we received an FBS invite from either the C-USA or Big South. But, that's just a mere dream right now.

If travel is an issue then you DEFINITELY don't want to go to CUSA. 3 teams in Texas, 2 in Florida, 1 in Kentucky, 1 in Louisiana, 1 in West Virginia, 1 in Tennessee, 1 in Virginia. That would be a travel nightmare for A&T and the western schools would most likely block it. You could probably get in the Big South now if you really wanted to especially with Hampton there.

Professor
July 3rd, 2018, 12:52 PM
Its not an issue. Folks are always looking to save money and redirect that money back into the programs