PDA

View Full Version : End of the Week for NDSU/SDSU Decision?

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Seems the timeline is always changing, but as it currently stands, NDSU's AD feels that a decision should be made by the end of the week, this after conversations with CSN Waves popular guest Patty V. Can it be true?

Bison still await Gateway decision
Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
Published Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Feb. 19 is starting to look like a long time ago for North Dakota State. That’s when the Gateway Football Conference considered the Bison for expansion at a meeting in St. Louis.

But NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said discussions with the league are still on-going. A decision should be made by the end of the week, he said.

He spoke with Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito on Monday.

“I’m positive,” Taylor said. “There’s still communication going on.”

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/158664

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Maybe.

My gut is telling me two things right: 1) We'll probably know by St. Paddy's Day -and- 2) Don't eat a half a jar of jalapenos right before bed.

Experience tells me two things too: 1) Wait -and- 2) See.

No idea how this will turn out. It sounds like maybe the Gateway wants the two Dakota State U's to cough up travel money... not sure that will fly when the Great West is a single team from being a full-fledged FCS conference.

89Hen
March 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I have to admit I haven't been following this as closely as I should. I know xDSU's aren't tied to the UxD's, but it just seems that any decisions about where to go should include all four schools. Geography isn't the most important thing for conferences, but when you are so isolated as the Dakota schools are, it just seems to make sense to all be together. Here in the East it's not a big deal for Delaware and Del State to not be together because we have dozens of schools closer than the closest couple schools for one of the Dakotas. I'm sure this must have come up on one of the threads I missed.

RabidRabbit
March 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I have to admit I haven't been following this as closely as I should. I know xDSU's aren't tied to the UxD's, but it just seems that any decisions about where to go should include all four schools. Geography isn't the most important thing for conferences, but when you are so isolated as the Dakota schools are, it just seems to make sense to all be together. Here in the East it's not a big deal for Delaware and Del State to not be together because we have dozens of schools closer than the closest couple schools for one of the Dakotas. I'm sure this must have come up on one of the threads I missed.

Yes, it would make sense to be able to consider all 4 Dakota schools together......If all four were at the same timeline in transition, which they aren't. NDSU/SDSU have blazed a trail, and pretty much (:bawling: ONE MORE YEAR :bawling: ) finished their purgertory. UND/USD haven't begun their transition, so are 5 years behind. All the NCC schools were requested to move up before 2002, UNC (now in Big Sky) and NDSU/SDSU were the ones who made that leap AT THAT TIME. 5 to 10 years from now, we can maybe be together again. But, for now NDSU/SDSU are on a successful path for themselves, and UND/USD need to work through issues about funding, transition for themselves. If conditions change, they may be together. If not, we'll likely be great OOC's for each other, but not til 2009, in most sports.:twocents:

JBB
March 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM
reasonable words Rabbit.

I dont see how this can be a no. It could be hanging on an issue or two, but since it has been going on for so long you have to think its going to happen. Thats glass half full.

There is a sticking point that is causing a rub. Its tough to tell if the conference is united behind the expansion idea or has made some demands on the Dakotas that are causing some heartburn. Since its taking so long compromise is becoming less likely and the deal could fall apart. Thats glass half empty.

Negotiations are hinging on an issue or two. No telling whos court its in but things have a way of working themselves out in the 11th hour. Now that some type of time line for the decision has been announced we know when the 11th hour is. Its all good. These guys are going toe to toe but they will get er done. Thats my opinion.

89Hen
March 6th, 2007, 10:35 AM
NDSU/SDSU have blazed a trail, and pretty much (:bawling: ONE MORE YEAR :bawling: ) finished their purgertory. UND/USD haven't begun their transition, so are 5 years behind.
Not sure that impacts NDSU/SDSU. AFAIK UND/USD can still be in a conference with them and just not be eligible. If the GWFC could add a sixth eligible team and then add UND & USD as the seventh and eighth members, the GWFC could still apply for an auto but wouldn't be able to send UND or USD. I think.

RabidRabbit
March 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Not sure that impacts NDSU/SDSU. AFAIK UND/USD can still be in a conference with them and just not be eligible. If the GWFC could add a sixth eligible team and then add UND & USD as the seventh and eighth members, the GWFC could still apply for an auto but wouldn't be able to send UND or USD. I think.

IF the Gateway DOESN'T take the xDSU's, then the GWFC will be the 7 member conference with all 4 Dakota's starting in 2009. That's a known, status quo scenerio. No autobid til the UxD's are eligible in 2013, UNLESS GWFC obtains ONE MORE CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE member (Western IL, U San Diego, Sac St., Portland St. get mentioned the most).

The Gateway is unlikely to consider expanding to 11 schools, but would be VERY well sized at 9 (adding the two xDSU's). Gateway couldn't expand before by more than one, but WKU went to Sunbelt. Their decision is whether to stay at 7, and schedule more OOC's (probably with GWFC members) or to fill up the Gateway with 9 pretty equally powerful schools. For the Gateway to add UxD's prior to near end of transition would be folly, if already at 9 schools. Only if the Gateway loses additional members does it make sense to add UxD's earlier.:twocents:

Go Bison
March 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
IF the Gateway DOESN'T take the xDSU's, then the GWFC will be the 7 member conference with all 4 Dakota's starting in 2007. That's a known, status quo scenerio. No autobid til the UxD's are eligible in 2013, UNLESS GWFC obtains ONE MORE CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE member (Western IL, U San Diego, Sac St., Portland St. get mentioned the most).

The Gateway is unlikely to consider expanding to 11 schools, but would be VERY well sized at 9 (adding the two xDSU's). Gateway couldn't expand before by more than one, but WKU went to Sunbelt. Their decision is whether to stay at 7, and schedule more OOC's (probably with GWFC members) or to fill up the Gateway with 9 pretty equally powerful schools. For the Gateway to add UxD's prior to near end of transition would be folly, if already at 9 schools. Only if the Gateway loses additional members does it make sense to add UxD's earlier.:twocents:

In 2007 UND and USD will still play their DII schedule and the earliest they would be added to the Great West would be 2008 or 2009. They will count as a DI opponent in 2009 so that would be the best time to add them to the conference.

RabidRabbit
March 6th, 2007, 12:16 PM
In 2007 UND and USD will still play their DII schedule and the earliest they would be added to the Great West would be 2008 or 2009. They will count as a DI opponent in 2009 so that would be the best time to add them to the conference.

corrected to '09 in original. thanks

Hammersmith
March 6th, 2007, 01:55 PM
IF the Gateway DOESN'T take the xDSU's, then the GWFC will be the 7 member conference with all 4 Dakota's starting in 2009. That's a known, status quo scenerio. No autobid til the UxD's are eligible in 2013, UNLESS GWFC obtains ONE MORE CURRENTLY ELIGIBLE member (Western IL, U San Diego, Sac St., Portland St. get mentioned the most).

The UxDs will be eligible for the 2012 season, but the two year continuity of membership requirement would put the first year of autobid eligibility at 2014(assuming no other FCS school joins the GWFC).

March 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
we'll know sooner than the end of the week

JBB
March 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM
That sounds like good news! :nod:

Bison05
March 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
we'll know sooner than the end of the week

I certainly hope your right Ralph. It will be nice to finally know.

AggiePride
March 6th, 2007, 04:13 PM
That sounds like good news! :nod:

My glass is half empty! :nod: errr... or full. Wait, what do I want again?

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Southern Utah Spectrum (http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/NEWS01/70306014)

AggiePride
March 6th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Southern Utah Spectrum (http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070306/NEWS01/70306014)

:thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :bawling:

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :( :thumbsup: :bawling:

That was exactly my reaction, AggiePride.

Bison05
March 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
That was exactly my reaction, AggiePride.

Even the last icon?:smiley_wi

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I really like the Great West.

ucdtim17
March 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well I guess that's that.

slostang
March 6th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Do all of us left in the GWFC a big favor and let your ADs know that you would love to see the remaining teams in the GWFC on the OOC schedule. Both the Bison and Jacks are/were great conference partners. You will definately be missed.

bisonguy
March 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
From the SUU beat writer (who broke the story) on Fargo's WDAY-AM Prime Time Sports, it sounds like NDSU/SDSU are going to try to schedule home/homes with the remaining GWFC founders as much as possible. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Rabbit3467
March 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Could you imagine that schedule for the XDSU's? Going through the gateway conference plus playing UC-Davis and Cal Poly out of conference. If UC-Davis and Cal Poly continue playing the way they have it could be a brutal schedule. Still a great day for the XDSU's. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

JBB
March 6th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Dont forget about SUU. They were there too and they are getting better as they grow their program.

Thats good news BisonGuy. Thanks for the tip, again!

AmsterBison
March 7th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I'd love to see Southern Utah, UC Davis, and Cal Poly on future schedules.