PDA

View Full Version : The coldest games your team has played in

UNH SUPERFAN
March 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Even though it is late winter a snowstorm is bearing down on the northeast. I should be thinking of spring, but I'm wondering about the COLDEST weather conditions your team has played in in your memory.

In 2003 UNH played James Madison up in Durham, it was probably 25 deg. with a 30-40 mph wind, JMU must have fumbled 8-9 times and played like they just wanted to go home. I think UNH won 20-17, but everyone there was freezing.

colorless raider
March 1st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Glad it was a win 'cause I just thawed out.:D

No_Skill
March 1st, 2007, 08:24 PM
oooooo Nice little research project. I'll see what I can dig up. My guess is pretty darn cold. We're in North Da-friggin-kota for cryin' out loud.

NDSUFREAK
March 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Yeah...before I read the thread I was like "NDSU.." I am guessing those games were PRETTY COLD. MUY FRIO!

UAalum72
March 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
Albany hasn't played many games in December, but one on Nov. 23, 2002 was the most memorable. The field had been frozen for two weeks, with a game on it the week before. On Friday it warmed up enough for a heavy rain, thawing the surface but not enough to drain. By gametime it was back down to 33 degrees with a 30 mph NNW wind gusting to 50. In the first quarter, pass-oriented Duquesne threw an interception and had punts of 3, 12, and 2 yards. Some of the Duqs are still complaining about the mud. By the end of the game the temp was much colder.

89rabbit
March 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
-40 with the wind chill.

MR. CHICKEN
March 1st, 2007, 08:51 PM
FO'...DUH AVIAN.....GOTTAH BE....CHATTANOOGA.....2003......CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.....GAME IS OVERAH EARLY 3rd QUARTER.......AH'M TALKIN' COLD..........TALONS WERE ICED OVERAH...2 DEGREES FROM HYPO-THERMIA..........BARELY COULD WALK BACK TA DUH BUS...................BUT DEN AGIN'...........EAGLES vs CARDINALS.....CHRISMAS EVE DAY......DUH YEAR O' DUH SNOWBALL INCIDENT...WHIFF DALLAS....UH TANK CAR FULL O' BLUEBERRY BRANDY......COULDN'T WARM US UP .........LEFT AT HALF-TIME....BUDDY'S BOYS....WERE KICKIN' BIRDIE BUTT.....WHY HANG 'ROUND......EGG NOG/FIREPLACE/CANDYCANES......HENRIETTA IN DAT......RED SUEDE.....MISTLE-TOE.......BAWK!

Hammerhead
March 1st, 2007, 09:10 PM
The Bison hosted a 1977 Division II playoff game when the temperature at kickoff was 7 degrees.
http://www.gobison.com/pdf3/7372.pdf?ATCLID=69727&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPSID=11862

I seem to recall an assitant coach back in the 80s when I was a student who always wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt, even on bitterly cold days.

For us fans, a little peppermint schnapps in the hot chocolate helped make the cold weather bearable.

NDSUFREAK
March 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Single digits is the only game I can find where it mentions the temp. It was a playoff game against Pittsburg State.

BEAR
March 1st, 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't see how any team could play in below zero temperatures! : smh : At least some have the common sense to play in a dome..xlolx In a game last year in Little Rock, the temp on the floor of War Memorial was reported to be 157 degrees in August....Cook them Reddies! :nod: xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
March 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
MAH FUTURE SON-IN-LAW...DUH... KNUCKLE-HEAD....HAILS FROM BOARDMAN, OHIO.....SOMETHIN' LIKE 10 MINUTES FROM YOUNGSTOWN.....TOLD ME....HE WENT TA UH STEELERS PLAY-OFF GAME........WHERE IT WAS SO COLD.......DUH TAILGATERS......KEET DERE BREWSKI.......ON DUH BUN RACK....O' DUH BARBIE.......TA KEEP FROM ICIN' OVERAH....:nod:...AWQ!

bisonwest
March 1st, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have no clue what our coldest was at the old Dacotah Field(God rest it's soul!).But when I was growing up going to playoff games against the California schools, or pretty much any school considering Fargo may be the coldest place to play a college football game in the lower 48, teams would literally shutdown. Any team that plays in Fargo nowdays should feel fortunate we built the dome!
Some cold ones I remember.
UC Davis- 84
Central St.- 86
Sac St.- 88 ?????
Pitt St.- 90 :)

NDSUFREAK
March 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
some one posted on BISONville about the '86 Blizzard game at Dacotah Field where apparently you couldn't see the other end of the field where the other stands were.

JackTwice
March 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
In the late 80's I videotaped the games for our team. The one trip I hated every other year was the trip to Dacotah field. They used to make the visiting team video from on TOP of the pressbox. Always a night game in Fargo in October. I still have extremely deep feelings about NDSU for that

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Even though it is late winter a snowstorm is bearing down on the northeast. I should be thinking of spring, but I'm wondering about the COLDEST weather conditions your team has played in in your memory.

In 2003 UNH played James Madison up in Durham, it was probably 25 deg. with a 30-40 mph wind, JMU must have fumbled 8-9 times and played like they just wanted to go home. I think UNH won 20-17, but everyone there was freezing.

I was at that game and it was cold, but I recall at least three games that were significantly colder. Two of those games were vs. UMass in Amherst during the 70's. I don't recall the actual temperatures, but there were snow squalls and stiff winds at one of them. The third game was, believe it or not, at UConn! Like the two UMass games, this one was also a season finale. All I remember is -30 wind chill factor and being dressed in so many layers that I looked like the Michelin Man. xlolx

Probably the absolute coldest though was the 1976 D-II Quarterfinal game at Montana State. I seem to recall reading about 17 degrees at kickoff with stiff winds and the temperature fell as the game progressed.

NDSUFREAK
March 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM
SOOOOO.......Need anymore reasons why we built a DOME....in FARGO????

bisonwest
March 1st, 2007, 10:24 PM
In the late 80's I videotaped the games for our team. The one trip I hated every other year was the trip to Dacotah field. They used to make the visiting team video from on TOP of the pressbox. Always a night game in Fargo in October. I still have extremely deep feelings about NDSU for that
I seem to remember always playing you guys under the lights. Those were some good times!!

JackTwice
March 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Not for me! (Or the Jackrabbits for what its worth)

ngineer
March 1st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Last game in Taylor Stadium, 1987 I think, the temperature was near single digits and the windchill was around -20. Only game I ever left early because I had my daughter with me and was really concerned about frostbite despite having her wrapped like an Eskimo..
At least we did beat the 'pards, though I think it was a fairly low scoring game.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Last game in Taylor Stadium, 1987 I think, the temperature was near single digits and the windchill was around -20. Only game I ever left early because I had my daughter with me and was really concerned about frostbite despite having her wrapped like an Eskimo..
At least we did beat the 'pards, though I think it was a fairly low scoring game.

Probably Nov. 21st in 1987! I looked through the UNH year by year results and pinpointed that day for the game at UConn that I mentioned earlier. Only time IIRC that we ended the season with UConn.

Henny
March 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM
For UD it was the Nov. 27 1993. at Montana

Tubby said it was the coldest game, and he has been at UD since 54' so I will go with him.

CopperCat
March 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
Montana/Montana State in 2003, at 10:00 a.m. it was -17, and at kickoff it was a balmy -14. It was worth it though.:thumbsup: (Corey Smith running the opening kickoff back)

SeattleGriz
March 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM

Tubby said it was the coldest game, and he has been at UD since 54' so I will go with him.

I was at that game and it was cold. To make matters worse, I was on the other side of the divide when I left for the game where the temps were about 20 degrees warmer. Nonetheless, I was underdressed an froze my butt off.

Still one of my top 5 all time games I have been to.

ucdtim17
March 2nd, 2007, 12:13 AM
I remember a rainy playoff game against Western Washington in '01. I had to wear a jacket in the second half of the stanford game two years ago. It was pretty rough

crunifan
March 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
The walk from the dorms to the UNI-Dome can be pretty chilly. xlolx

andy7171
March 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
November game in 1991 at Howard University
30 degrees/10 wind chill in the sleet with a strong wind coming in off the reservior behind the visitor stands.
The sleet felt like needles.

OL FU
March 2nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
It probably was not that cold but it felt like if for southerners.

1989 semi-final game in Paladin stadium against Stephen F, Austin.

It snowed about 6 inches starting before the game and ending sometime in the second half. The strange thing was it seemed as if it snowed only at Furman. Driving back to Greenville, two miles from Furman there was no snow. My recollection was 15 to 20 miles north of Greenville there was no snow. Just a very small strip of weather where the tempature and clouds were right for snow.

It was a very wet cold made worse by losing. :bawling:

MrTitleist
March 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
What was the kickoff temperature for the Montana/UMass playoff game this year? I know it was under 10 degrees. Kept the beer nice and cold, just the way we like it!

MACHIAVELLI
March 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Icon vs Boise St. 1980

DrG
March 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
What was the kickoff temperature for the Montana/UMass playoff game this year? I know it was under 10 degrees. Kept the beer nice and cold, just the way we like it!
That game was our coldest in memory. Not that it bothered us. :smiley_wi

NDSUFREAK
March 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I remember a rainy playoff game against Western Washington in '01. I had to wear a jacket in the second half of the stanford game two years ago. It was pretty rough

Oh, yeah...I bet :rolleyes:

McNeese75
March 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Probably the 1997 Quarter final game at Western Illinois
or
2005 Semi-final game against Marshall here
or
1994 playoff game at Montana (you know, the one where the goat kicker became a hero for the Griz that day :D )

Mr. C
March 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Montana/Montana State in 2003, at 10:00 a.m. it was -17, and at kickoff it was a balmy -14. It was worth it though.:thumbsup: (Corey Smith running the opening kickoff back)
I remember watching that one on TV. It was a great game, with freshman Travis Lulay leading Montana State to its first win over the Griz since the 1980s. Montana couldn't move the ball that day in the snow.

Mr. C
March 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
The most memorable game I remember covering was when Appalachian State and Western Carolina met in mid November in 1995. It was about 40 degrees and raining hard all morning long and into the early afternoon (kind of like this year's ASU-WCU game). At game-time, the temperature started plummeting and the rain changed to sleat, full-blown ice and finally snow by halftime. Of course, all of the players were drenched and as the temperatures went into the 20s and the wind started to blow, it became pretty miserable. I remember interviewing fullback Aldwin Lance after the game and he couldn't stop shivering in the locker room. The guys in the WCU locker room were even in worse shape. These were the most miserable locker rooms I've ever seen post-game.

Appalachian State and Georgia Southern fans talk about the 1987 playoff game where they had snow and ice and low temperatures (don't know the exact temperature, or wind chill). ASU ended GSU's two-year championship run with a 19-0 victory. That was the famous game where steam was rising off Erk Russell's bald head.

Mr. C
March 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
FO'...DUH AVIAN.....GOTTAH BE....CHATTANOOGA.....2003......CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.....GAME IS OVERAH EARLY 3rd QUARTER.......AH'M TALKIN' COLD..........TALONS WERE ICED OVERAH...2 DEGREES FROM HYPO-THERMIA..........BARELY COULD WALK BACK TA DUH BUS...................BUT DEN AGIN'...........EAGLES vs CARDINALS.....CHRISMAS EVE DAY......DUH YEAR O' DUH SNOWBALL INCIDENT...WHIFF DALLAS....UH TANK CAR FULL O' BLUEBERRY BRANDY......COULDN'T WARM US UP .........LEFT AT HALF-TIME....BUDDY'S BOYS....WERE KICKIN' BIRDIE BUTT.....WHY HANG 'ROUND......EGG NOG/FIREPLACE/CANDYCANES......HENRIETTA IN DAT......RED SUEDE.....MISTLE-TOE.......BAWK!
Fortunately, I was sitting in comfort in the Finley Stadium press box for that one. Unfortunately my seat was right next to the student radio guys for Delaware. ARGH, they were awful. I remember it was snowing at the kickoff. Kind of seemed like appropriate weather for Delaware and Colgate.

That morning, I left Boone with my family and started a trek that took forever to make. Didn't get there until the early evening for what is normally a 4:30-4:45 drive. It snowed 20 inches in Boone that weekend and there was snow all the way down to Chattanooga.

carney2
March 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM

Winds were gusting to 50 mph. The wife of a friend literally got blown against a building on the way to the game and they turned around and went home. Despite a sellout, I don't think the stands ever filled, and there were very few of us hearty souls around at the end. It was god-awful brutal.

TheValleyRaider
March 2nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
That WIU game was great, but the game before against UMass might have been worse. It was cold, windier, and the snow was that slushy wet kind that soaks everything you're wearing. My family came up for that game (being after Thanksgiving and all), and my sister's face and hands turned blue. After saying how much she hated the weather up here, she now goes to Cornell. Go figure...

ndsu71und74
March 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hammersmith, Believe that young coach would have been Pat Simmers, currently NDSU's liason with the Teamakers. Was/is still crazy after all these years.

Bulldog87
March 2nd, 2007, 04:07 PM
SCSU at Wofford back in the early to mid 70"s when I was a kid. It was one of if not the last game of the season and SCSU was undefeated or only had 1 loss. We were big favorities going into the game but it was cold with sleet,rain and snow and we loss like 20-0. Lot's of our fans to this day blame that loss on the weather conditions. My opinion is that the Terriers played under the same conditions so n we have no excuses if we were the better team. For a lowcountry kid it was cool to sit in the snow and sleet but losing sucked even back then as a 10 or so year old.

McNeeserocket
March 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Probably the 1997 Quarter final game at Western Illinois
or
2005 Semi-final game against Marshall here
or
1994 playoff game at Montana (you know, the one where the goat kicker became a hero for the Griz that day :D )

Actually the Semi-final game against Marshall was in 1995 in Lake Charles (not 2005) and although it was cold and windy I think the 1997 Western Illinois game was still a lot colder. The 1994 Quarter-final game against Montana in the blizzard was also very cold.

KAUMASS
March 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Umass/Northeastern-Nov. 21, 1987..temp was about 12 or 14 degrees with wind chills well below 0..The day before it was 50 degrees and heavy rain, and overnight a cold blast came in and froze the astroturf..I played in that game and got cut by a piece of ice on a tackle...quick story..me and two other guys played in half t-shirts under our shoulder pads all year. We figured we would be men and try warmups with the half shirts and re-evaluate before we went back out for the start of the game..we had done it all year anyhow and we didn't want to break tradition...it was ******* freezing, and we decided to put our thermals on after warmups, but when we got back to our lockers, other guys on our team had swiped them from our lockers and no one would own up to it!...so we had to play the whole game with our arms and bellies exposed. The water jugs and water bottles were all frozen, you couldn't even get a drink..The turf was like cement basketball court..ah, memories..

JackTwice
March 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
SDSU played a game in 89 or so against UND in Grand Forks that must have been -20 in late October. I've lived in South Dakota most of my life and I'm here to tell you, that place is a whole other level of cold.

Go...gate
March 2nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
Glad it was a win 'cause I just thawed out.:D

Yep, that was the coldest one for me as well.

The Sheriff
March 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
SDSU played a game in 89 or so against UND in Grand Forks that must have been -20 in late October. I've lived in South Dakota most of my life and I'm here to tell you, that place is a whole other level of cold.
What, just a beautiful fall afternoon in the northern Red River Valley.:thumbsup:

appfan2008
March 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Not that the temperature was all that cold... but the rain at WCU this year for the ASU WCU game came down so hard and with so much wind that it made it feel truly awful... no one was prepared for that much rain and afterward my girlfriend and i had to go to walmart and buy new clothes for the ride back home to boone

Eyes of Old Main
March 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Coldest I've been to was probably Wofford's 2003 quarterfinal game against Western Kentucky. Temp was in the upper 20's at kickoff, but that was at 4pm, so it was dark by the end of the 1st quarter and the temp got much lower. Fortunately, Wofford won, so that helped a good bit. After the game, I was still cold after the AFTER the 90 minute drive back.

I went to a WCU/App game in Boone in the early 90's that was very cold too. Probably around '93 or '94.

Pard 82
March 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM

That's the one!!! It was so cold, our beer was turning to slush. :bawling:

McNeese75
March 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Actually the Semi-final game against Marshall was in 1995 in Lake Charles (not 2005) and although it was cold and windy I think the 1997 Western Illinois game was still a lot colder. The 1994 Quarter-final game against Montana in the blizzard was also very cold.

2005.... 1995 what's 10 years among friends :D (oldtimers setting in)

Sir William
March 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
Coldest game?

I made my wife mad before a game last year, and she didn't speak to me until late in the third quarter.

Does this count?

No_Skill
March 2nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Coldest game?

I made my wife mad before a game last year, and she didn't speak to me until late in the third quarter.

Does this count?

Oh boy...I've been there.

Usually when I put on my headphones to listen to the comentary while watching the game...she hates that.

HENJOHN
March 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

I'll go along with that in for recent era games. It was 4 degrees at kickoff for the late November game and it felt every bit of it. Some of Griz fans had No shirts on too in that weather. It warmed up just a little when the Hens won 49-48.

eaglesrthe1
March 3rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
I went to this game in the 'Boro once, it must have been down to at least 65. I figured, "That's what they make long handles for". So, I dug into my closet, knocked off the cobwebs and shook out the moths and went on my merry way. It was tough, but somehow I managed to struggle through it.:nod: :nod:

RichH2
March 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
It was the last game at Taylor. The wives,kids and girlfriends left before halftime. I left early 3rd. Only game I have ever left before the end. Went to Rosie's to warm up. Temp was low single digits but wind chill was -25.

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
The most memorable game I remember covering was when Appalachian State and Western Carolina met in mid November in 1995. It was about 40 degrees and raining hard all morning long and into the early afternoon (kind of like this year's ASU-WCU game). At game-time, the temperature started plummeting and the rain changed to sleat, full-blown ice and finally snow by halftime. Of course, all of the players were drenched and as the temperatures went into the 20s and the wind started to blow, it became pretty miserable. I remember interviewing fullback Aldwin Lance after the game and he couldn't stop shivering in the locker room. The guys in the WCU locker room were even in worse shape. These were the most miserable locker rooms I've ever seen post-game.

yucky that game was. I remember I went in shorts. I also remember Coach Moore saying after the game that was the loudest he'd ever heard our crowd.

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
coldest I've ever been at an Appgame was the 2nd rounder in 2000 at Western Kentucky...

GOKATS
March 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM

I can't remember the year- mid to late '80's at home against I think Idaho St. (maybe Idaho?). Absolutely the coldest game I've ever been to. I had my two sons bundled to the max (they were somewhere in the 8-12 age) and shortly after the 2nd quarter began I looked at the younger one and he had tears frozen on his cheeks. I took both of them out to the tailgate area, fired up my rig, tuned the game on the radio and told them to keep the windows cracked a hair. Went out at halftime to do a little tailgating and they were happy as hell.

By the end of the game I don't think there were more than about 80 of us on the booster side and less than that on the student side. Must've been in the -20 to -30 range.

GeauxColonels
March 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hands down it was a playoff game against then-defending national champion Montana on November 30, 1996. It snowed like crazy during that game and all we could muster offensively was a field goal in the first quarter to cut the lead to 10-3 at that point. And the field goal was only possible because of an interception and return.

Uncle Buck
March 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I think the coldest i remember as a player was probably late november 1993 if i'm not mistaken at Maine. It was a mud bowl. It rained, it hailed, it sleeted and finally it snowed. What miserable weather, must have been 3 inches of mud on the field that day.

YaleFootballFan
March 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM

That was the same day as the Yale/Harvard Ivy League Championship Game in New Haven. There were 66,000 people inside Yale Bowl that afternoon and many left at halftime because of how cold it was.

Other cold Yale games that I remember was the Army game at Yale Bowl in '88 and the Brown game in '05. Both were cold days, but not as cold as The Game in '87.

Kill'em
March 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Appalachian State and Georgia Southern fans talk about the 1987 playoff game where they had snow and ice and low temperatures (don't know the exact temperature, or wind chill). ASU ended GSU's two-year championship run with a 19-0 victory. That was the famous game where steam was rising off Erk Russell's bald head.
That still boggle my mind why we had to travel. If I remember correctly, we were outbid and I hate that BS! We had the better record, higher attendance, and certainly, better weather. Add to that we ran the option with a true freshman QB and it spelled doom. The only play we could run was the fullback dive. It was an ugly day. Not as ugly as '95 when we had something like one first down against Montana when they "accidentally" left their sprinklers running overnight... or so I am told. ;)

These games showed we didn't run the option well in bad conditions.

ndsubison
March 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Albany hasn't played many games in December, but one on Nov. 23, 2002 was the most memorable. The field had been frozen for two weeks, with a game on it the week before. On Friday it warmed up enough for a heavy rain, thawing the surface but not enough to drain. By gametime it was back down to 33 degrees with a 30 mph NNW wind gusting to 50. In the first quarter, pass-oriented Duquesne threw an interception and had punts of 3, 12, and 2 yards. Some of the Duqs are still complaining about the mud. By the end of the game the temp was much colder.

33 degrees? Can I bring my sandles and beach ball:thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
March 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Do I need to wear pants??

Cobblestone
March 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
In 1985 we played a (then) I-AA playoff game at home against Akron. I forget the exact temperature but I do remember it was the first week of December with snow flurries coming down. Sadly, we haven't seen that sight since.

BALD EAGLE
March 4th, 2007, 11:29 PM

I was there at the "Ice Bowl" which reminded me of the time when I nearly froze at the Air Force Survival School. I never thought I could be that cold again, but I came very close at that game.

The field which had an artificial surface was frozen over. ASU's team was bigger but Ga. Southern's team was faster. Playing on the frozen field seemed to affect the Eagles more because they could not take advantage of their speed.

Not only was the field frozen over, but the stands were frozen over. Even getting to the stadium was more dangerous than normal with people slipping on the ice.

Finally, that evening we were in a restaurant "discussing" the game with some ASU fans when all the power went out. The manager would not let anyone leave, in fact, he locked all the doors, and I could see us doing more than just "discussing" the game. Fortunately, after what seemed a very long time we were able to leave without anyone getting arrested.

When my wife and I got to our motel, you guessed it, the power was out there, but I ended this miserable day a very "lucky" guy.

GO EAGLES

"JUST ONE MORE TIME"

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:21 AM
That still boggle my mind why we had to travel. If I remember correctly, we were outbid and I hate that BS! We had the better record, higher attendance, and certainly, better weather. Add to that we ran the option with a true freshman QB and it spelled doom. The only play we could run was the fullback dive. It was an ugly day. Not as ugly as '95 when we had something like one first down against Montana when they "accidentally" left their sprinklers running overnight... or so I am told. ;)

These games showed we didn't run the option well in bad conditions.
App State was the No. 1 seed in the tournament that year. That's why you had to travel. ASU was 9-2, but the losses were to South Carolina and Wake Forest (16-12). ASU was undefeated in I-AA play. The Mountaineers were Southern Conference champs and had already beaten Marshall during the regular season. Marshall got a rematch the next weekend in Boone, broke out a brand new defense and upset the Mountaineers.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM
coldest I've ever been at an Appgame was the 2nd rounder in 2000 at Western Kentucky...
The temperature was only about 20 degrees, but a snow storm blew through in the second half and I'm sure the wind chill must have been a lot lower. For some STUPID reason, the press box at WKU had this DUMB tradition of opening the windows at the start of the game. All these idiots in the press box started cheering when they did it, like it was some sort of party. We had been warned about that before we traveled, so we were dressed warmly. It was a hard fought game, with Daniel Jeremiah coming off the bench for Joe Burchette to lead a comeback. Burchette had his software scrambled, if you get my drift (some might have said Joe always played like that). ASU won 17-14 and then played in another snow storm at Montana the next weekend. By the time we got our stories done at WKU, the snow was coming down pretty good. We drove back to Nashville and stayed there for the night, rather than trying to make it back to Boone in heavy snow.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Coldest I've been to was probably Wofford's 2003 quarterfinal game against Western Kentucky. Temp was in the upper 20's at kickoff, but that was at 4pm, so it was dark by the end of the 1st quarter and the temp got much lower. Fortunately, Wofford won, so that helped a good bit. After the game, I was still cold after the AFTER the 90 minute drive back.

I went to a WCU/App game in Boone in the early 90's that was very cold too. Probably around '93 or '94.
I had credentials for the Wofford-WKU game, but had to skip the game, because I had no one available to get my young daughter to rehersals for the Nutcracker Ballet that afternoon (a mighty big argh!). It was snowing all over the East Coast that day. That was the day of the Colgate-Western Illinois blizzard game (which I still have some of on tape). It was also snowing hard in Boone and I think it also snowed at Delaware's game that day. Anyway, my older daughter and I drove to Geno's Sports Lounge to watch the rest of the Colgate-WIU game while my other daughter was in rehersal. They had all of the TV screens on to a lousy Syracuse-Notre Dame game (played not too far from Colgate, but INDOORS for crying out loud, those wimps). We asked that they turn a TV on to the Colgate-WIU game and when they did, everyone in the bar started watching the Colgate-WIU game and asking for their TVs to be turned, too. Now that was a great playoff game. I ended up watching the Wofford-WKU game on taped replay.

The Western Carolina-App State game you are talking about had to be the 1995 contest in Boone. The game in 1993 was played in pretty normal, fairly warm weather. The 1994 game was played in Cullowhee.

Kill'em
March 5th, 2007, 01:09 AM
App State was the No. 1 seed in the tournament that year. That's why you had to travel. ASU was 9-2, but the losses were to South Carolina and Wake Forest (16-12). ASU was undefeated in I-AA play. The Mountaineers were Southern Conference champs and had already beaten Marshall during the regular season. Marshall got a rematch the next weekend in Boone, broke out a brand new defense and upset the Mountaineers.
Then I stand corrected.

CatFan22
March 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM

I could not feel my toes all game long. And it wasn't long after the game when I looked in the mirror and realized that I still had a nose. That was the absolute coldest game in the history of me. And it didn't help that we were on the shady part of the stadium. I remember going on the field after the game and the ground seemed so hard I had no idea how they could play football on it.

JALMOND
March 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Not necessary the coldest game I've been to, but one of the coldest since we joined the Big Sky. 2005 last game of the season and we played Montana State (ironically in Portland, not Bozeman. We've always had good weather so far in Montana). Anyway, temps running just below 40, and a cold steady rain the whole game. We had nothing to play for as Idaho State knocked us out the week before on a last second 54 yard field goal, yet the Cats needed to beat us and then beat the Griz the next week for the conference title. Needless to say, the Cats thrived in the elements and we just folded. I left that game cold, sad and miserable.

Marcus Garvey
March 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Here ya go. I remember freezing my nads off that day collecting money from the customers on my newspaper route. I forgot it was that cold, which is very unusual for mid-november:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KABE/1987/11/21/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

The Moody1
March 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Appalachian State and Georgia Southern fans talk about the 1987 playoff game where they had snow and ice and low temperatures (don't know the exact temperature, or wind chill). ASU ended GSU's two-year championship run with a 19-0 victory. That was the famous game where steam was rising off Erk Russell's bald head.[/QUOTE]

I was at that game. I believe the high temp for the day was 18 degrees. The steam off Erk's head was hilarious.

jstate83
March 5th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Jackson State -vs- Alcorn in the Capitol City Classic in 2002.

19 degrees, Rain/sleet, and a strong wind.:eek:
We set in our cars, passing beverages from one window to another for an hour before kickoff.:D

Sorry.........xlolx .............I COULDN'T TAKE IT.

That was one game where I sold my ticket at face value to a out of towner that was headed for the ticket window, went home, put shorts on, poured me several drinks, and watched it on TV.xlolx

By the start of the 4th, my boy's couldn't take it either.
They poured into my house like a bunch of big arse 200 pound ice cubes.xlolx

UAalum72
March 5th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Do I need to wear pants??

Actually I was wrong, Albany has never played in December. I'm sorry it doesn't meet your standards, it just doesn't get that cold by Veterans' Day. I'm sure there were colder days, but the box score archives only go back about six years.

But I don't remember any dry days that were more miserable that that 30-knot wind.

If it will make you happier, it's expected to be about 10 degrees by the end of a lacrosse game vs. Dartmouth this Wednesday.

DuckDuckGriz
March 6th, 2007, 02:18 AM
The absolute coldest I've EVER been (not just football games) -- was the 2003 Griz-Cat game in Bozeman. I remember going to a McDonald's the night before the game and I could not believe people were still alive in what was surely subzero temperatures, and then a few UM students walk in with shorts and sandals. We had an older guy with us that had to be carried back to the charter bus from Missoula late in the 3rd quarter because he literally could not walk.

And the game didn't help :rolleyes:

WyomingGrizFan
March 6th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I remember my high school playing a game in Glasgow, Montana where one of our players got bit by a rattlesnake in the end zone. I thought that was a pretty 'cold' trick. Maybe that don't count. Oh well.

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Here ya go. I remember freezing my nads off that day collecting money from the customers on my newspaper route. I forgot it was that cold, which is very unusual for mid-november:
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KABE/1987/11/21/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

What a great resource, Mr. Garvey! I'll be using that weather underground deal from now on.

While I don't think that anybody is going to beat that Montana/Montana State game, I used MG's source to get the official scoop on some of NDSU's cooler games:

1986 Blizzard Bowl (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KFAR/1986/11/18/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA) - The low that day was -4 but it was a full-on blizzard with winds strong enough to push me backwards on a slippery surface. 19th Avenue was closed (that's the main road that goes north of the Dome for those of you who have been to Fargo). The wind had to be a good 40 mph but it was fairly heavy snow (paradoxically, most North Dakotans feel warmer when it is snowing, windy, and cold rather than just windy and cold).

The 1976 game versus Montana State was kinda the same... high temp was 4 and it was windy and snow everywhere.

I bet Cal Poly's coldest game was their playoff game in Fargo in 1990. The funny thing was that I checked Weather Underground and it said that the high temp that day was 50 (just 6 degrees from a record high), but I remember that day being very chilly. One of my closest friends got married that day and we were running around in the morning in shirtsleeves but by mid-afternoon it was brutal - but it never got below 14. I think this game seemed so cold because it was so incredibly windy and a lot of people weren't dressed very warmly.

AmsterBison
March 6th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Hey, wait a minute! I looked up the 2003 Montana-Montana State game and it said the low that day was -7 and the high was 10. It was in Bozeman on 11/22/2003, right? Could it be that the airport temp is that much different than the stadium's temp - I know in the Black Hills the temp can change a lot in a mile? No wind to speak of either.

Linky (http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBZN/2003/11/22/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA)

Husky Alum
March 6th, 2007, 06:00 AM
I've referenced that Yale-Harvard game in 1987 several times. That was the coldest GAME I've ever been to.

The coldest NU game I've ever been to is probably a tie between our JMU game the last game of the 2002 season where we won the A-10 title, or the NCAA playoff game against Fordham the week after. I remember we didn't need ice to chill the champagne at the JMU game and I wore 2 sweatshirts and my LLBean parka.

The Fordham game was especially cold since it snowed the week of the game and our new field (was our first field with field turf) was used by Boston College for their NCAA Tournament Soccer game because their field (which I believe was either grass, or the "old" astro turg) was unplayable.

Our box scores say the temperature for those games was in the high 30s, but there couldn't have been the amount of snow on the ground for the games if the temp was in the high 30s.

griz&beer
March 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
How cold was the playoff games back when DD was QB 1n 95? I remember it real cold.

Kill'em
March 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
How cold was the playoff games back when DD was QB 1n 95? I remember it real cold.
It was cold enough to freeze our offense.

SFA 71
March 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I remember a game at SFA in the late '90's. God it was cold... must have been 55 or maybe 54. So cold I had to put on a long sleeve shirt & quit putting ice in my coke. They must not rent U-Hauls up north!

blackfordpu
March 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Probably our games at Montana or the playoff game in 2004 at EWU.