PDA

View Full Version : How 'Bout Those TxSo Tigers?

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
A blog entry from the Houston Chronicle's Ronnie Turner, who is blogging area schools. At the bottom of this blog, he asks the faithful what they think about SHSU and Rhett Bomar, but a majority of the football talk in this blog is about Texas Southern and Steve Wilson's Tigers chances of success this year.

3rd Coast Tiger...the floor is yours! :thumbsup:
------------------------
I'll now turn my attention to the 2007 football season which will be upon us in about six months. I've been thinking about the Texas Southern football team, in particular. In 2006, the Tigers finished 3-8, which was a slight improvement from the first two seasons under head coach Steve Wilson, when they went 0-11 and 1-10, respectively.

I felt the Tigers could have easily claimed two more victories, but they executed poorly down the stretch in close games with Alabama A&M and Mississippi Valley State. That poor execution led to bumbling losses that literally came down to the final seconds. Still, there were signs of a young team trying to come around.

The 2007 season will be Wilson's fourth as the Tigers' head coach, so it would be a good thing for this team to have a productive campaign. And the team doesn't look too bad with its returning players, though it did lose one heck of a defensive back with the graduation of safety Stacey Thomas, the 2006 SWAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Still, the Tigers have an experienced quarterback returning in Tino Edgecombe, as well as talented wide receiver/kick returner Daniel Davis and some other competent players in the fold. I'm also expecting a better season from running back Brent Wilson, son of the head coach, who had a rough campaign last season.

Steve Wilson is going to get only so many chances to turn the team around. He needs to capitalize on the one he'll get this upcoming season.

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2007/03/a_few_quick_thoughts_on_school_1.html