PDA

View Full Version : FCS snub by the Oregonian

JALMOND
March 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
The stories done by the sportswriters of the Oregonian on the Glanville hire were good and I'm not one to argue with any coverage that might benefit the Vikings in any way (Lord knows we need it), yet this comment from Brian Meehan I believes needs to be addressed...

"Portland State plays in the Division I-AA Big Sky Conference, a rung below Oregon and Oregon State and far from the bright lights of the NFL. It is an unorthodox career move, but Glanville is familiar with the unorthodox." (Brian Meehan, "PSU's sidelines just got interesting", The Oregonian, March 1, 2007)

There were (and has been) many other smaller ones, yet this hit me in the face. I believe it is telling me that even though we made a big name hire, we are still in the shadows of the big time and we need to be reminded of that. Hopefully Glanville will be able to put us on a par with the Ducks and Beavers in this city.

March 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Link?

JALMOND
March 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM
www.oregonlive.com/vikingsfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1172724909236440.xml&coll=7

UAalum72
March 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's not much of a snub. If he hadn't said "Division I-AA" would it have been wrong to say "in the Big Sky Conference, a rung below O.."? Are you arguing that PSU isn't "far from the bright lights"?

Lucky he didn't count mid-major FBS schools and say PSU is 'two rungs below Oregon'.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Do you have an email address for this guy that you can post?

DaveK
March 1st, 2007, 05:15 PM
It's not much of a snub. If he hadn't said "Division I-AA" would it have been wrong to say "in the Big Sky Conference, a rung below O.."? Are you arguing that PSU isn't "far from the bright lights"?

Lucky he didn't count mid-major FBS schools and say PSU is 'two rungs below Oregon'.

I agree that it's not really a snub. The Big Sky is no doubt a rung below the Pac 10. Not that there's anything wrong with being a rung below the Pac 10. It merely is what it is.

PantherRob82
March 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Good hire.

March 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Do you have an email address for this guy that you can post?Brian Meehan, 503-221-4341, [email protected]

Libertine
March 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Yesterday, Greg Roberts, our local ESPN Radio idiot referenced the Glanville hire by Division II Portland State. : retard :

RobsPics
March 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Yesterday, Greg Roberts, our local ESPN Radio idiot referenced the Glanville hire by Division II Portland State. : retard :

that just chaps my hide!

Keeper
March 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
I still maintain that PSU has its eyes
on the BS level.