MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
WTF happened to these poor guys?

th0m
March 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Wow. Nominee for worst schedule in FCS?

Pauly LB
March 1st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Why not schedule a couple of good intramural teams?

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
WTF happened to these poor guys?

They need wins....Any way they can get them...

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM
They need wins....Any way they can get them...

Sad thing is they will prolly lose 2 or 3 of those games xlolx xlolx

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
Sad thing is they will prolly lose 2 or 3 of those games xlolx xlolx

: smh : >>>>> That's all I can do for them...

youwouldno
March 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM
Usually one of the safest teams to bet against. The computers just can't fathom how bad they are, because even D-II oppponents take it easy by the 2nd half.

bosshogg
March 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Sep 8 Johnson C Smith

Sep 29 at Fort Valley State

Oct 13 at Morehouse
Oct 20 North Carolina Central (last year in D-2)
Oct 27 Edward Waters (aren't they D-2 as well?)

Nov 17 Mississippi Valley State

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Sep 8 Johnson C Smith
Oct 13 at Morehouse
Oct 27 Edward Waters

those are the Div II opponents.

CSUBUCDAD
March 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
Edward Waters is NAIA I believe. We took alot of crap for sheduling them last year to fill a last minute dropout.

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2007, 02:15 PM
NAIA is comparable to Div II ?

JALMOND
March 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Aug 30 at Morgan State
Sep 8 Johnson C Smith
Sep 15 Bethune-Cookman
Sep 22 Idle
Oct 6 at Charleston Southern
Oct 13 at Morehouse
Oct 20 North Carolina Central
Oct 27 Edward Waters
Nov 3 at Gardner-Webb
Nov 10 Idle
Nov 17 Mississippi Valley State

The slight chance that Savannah State goes undefeated with this schedule, do we have to listen to them say they deserve to be in the playoffs?

DetroitFlyer
March 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM
We all know that SS has been terrible for a while.... Why would it make sense for them to schedule way over their heads and get pounded week in and week out? They pretty much do that now anyways.... If that keeps up long enough, football teams tend to go away.... I am not a fan of playing lower division games, but for some teams that are trying to rebuild, it make perfect sense. A better approach would be to work harder to schedule Butler, Valparaiso, Saint Peters, etc. These would be competitive games and be FCS games. Yeah, I know, travel is expensive.... I still think that is a better option than loading up on lower division teams. If it cannot be done, build some confidence and momentum in your program by winning some games against lower level teams. Success breeds success while failure just demoralizes folks. In the PFL, Butler is a good example. They have been very bad as of late, and are scheduling more lower division teams. Last season they won some games, including beating Dayton! From what I have heard, their recruiting has improved this year and good or bad, they dropped a couple of men's sports to focus more resources on football. Don't be so hasty to hammer a schedule for any school. Hopefully, the AD's at our schools actually have a clue and are doing what is best for the institution. Ultimately, we all hope that they are doing what is best for the football programs given the constraints under which they operate.

GaSouthern
March 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
The slight chance that Savannah State goes undefeated with this schedule, do we have to listen to them say they deserve to be in the playoffs?

yeah, expect them to play the race card when they dont get in xlolx

Bobcat in NC
March 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM
NAIA is comparable to Div II ?

I don't think so. There are some real good NAIA programs (Carroll College in Montana as an example), but I'd more readily compare them with DIII than DII. :twocents:

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
even worse lol

UNHWildCats
March 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
IF Savannah State goes undefeated im going to look towards the sky for flying pigs :p

Hmmm it is the Chinese Year of the Pig :eyebrow: :eek: :eek:

Mountaineer#96
March 1st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think CSU needs to make a trip to Boone.......:nod:

CSU BUCS
March 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
I think CSU needs to make a trip to Boone.......:nod:
Why not come to Charleston?:hurray:

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Even if they go undefeated, I only count 5 DI wins. You need 7 for playoff consideration.

Sir William
March 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM

Build a real stadium, and a real team might come.

CSU BUCS
March 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
Build a real stadium, and a real team might come.
:rolleyes:
Last time I checked the playing surface was the same.

Overall Dimensions

The outside measurements for College and NCAA football fields below include the End Zone.

Length: 360 feet or 120 yards
Width: 160 feet or 53 1/3 yards

End Zone:

College/NCAA fields have 10 yard deep end zones.

Go to :
Arrow Football Field Dimensions
Football History
Football Rules
Football How To

End Line:

A six foot end line border marks the back of the end zone.

Field Numbers:

The Field Numbers for College and NCAA football fields are 6 feet high and 4 feet wide.

Restraining Line:

The restraining line designates how close non-players can be to the field. The College restraining line is 6' from the sidelines.

Team Benches:

Team benches are placed along the Restraining Line between the 30 yard markers

Hash Marks:

The hash marks for college fieldsare 40 feet wide and start 60' in from the sidelines.
They are wider than NFL hasmarks (18' 6") and narrower than the high school (53' 4") markers.

Goal Posts:

Goal posts also vary in width between levels of play. College/NCAA goal posts measure 18 feet, 6 inches wide (the same as the NFL)
High School: Goal posts are 10 feet high and 23 feet, 4 inches wide.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM

SLIGHT??????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
March 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM
yeah, expect them to play the race card when they dont get in xlolx

I knew someone was going to take it there.:rolleyes:

They made a mistake moving to Division I. That's all. There's no race involved in that.

Mountaineer#96
March 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM

Not to be a dick, well actually I am about to be one:

You come to our place, b/c we can both make lots more money from it, since we pack the people in like sardines. That, and we will destroy your busses up here ask GSU. :)

Sir William
March 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM

Overall Dimensions

The outside measurements for College and NCAA football fields below include the End Zone.

Length: 360 feet or 120 yards
Width: 160 feet or 53 1/3 yards

End Zone:

College/NCAA fields have 10 yard deep end zones.

Go to :
Arrow Football Field Dimensions
Football History
Football Rules
Football How To

End Line:

A six foot end line border marks the back of the end zone.

Field Numbers:

The Field Numbers for College and NCAA football fields are 6 feet high and 4 feet wide.

Restraining Line:

The restraining line designates how close non-players can be to the field. The College restraining line is 6' from the sidelines.

Team Benches:

Team benches are placed along the Restraining Line between the 30 yard markers

Hash Marks:

The hash marks for college fieldsare 40 feet wide and start 60' in from the sidelines.
They are wider than NFL hasmarks (18' 6") and narrower than the high school (53' 4") markers.

Goal Posts:

Goal posts also vary in width between levels of play. College/NCAA goal posts measure 18 feet, 6 inches wide (the same as the NFL)
High School: Goal posts are 10 feet high and 23 feet, 4 inches wide.

Stadium, son...stadium. As in North Greenville's bigger than yours. :asswhip:

Libertine
March 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

That's not even remotely true. App's playing surface is high quality custom-fitted FieldTurf designed to provide a high level of competition with maximum safety, whereas CSU's is a beach volleyball pit.

Libertine
March 2nd, 2007, 11:06 AM
Nov 3 at Gardner-Webb

Interesting. According to our Presbyterian brethren, they're visiting Gardner-Webb that day. Awwkwwaaard!

Ol Blue
March 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
That's not even remotely true. App's playing surface is high quality custom-fitted FieldTurf designed to provide a high level of competition with maximum safety, whereas CSU's is a beach volleyball pit.

C'mon now guys,

CSU's stadium is new....but small.....lacks visitor bathrooms....porto potties are available :p

But the playing surface is as good as any I've seen:cool:

And unless your bringing more than a couple of thou.....will accomodate you nicely.

Mountaineer#96
March 2nd, 2007, 01:34 PM
Interesting. According to our Presbyterian brethren, they're visiting Gardner-Webb that day. Awwkwwaaard!

Maybe they can go at it playoff style, since none of them are going anyways.

Mountaineer#96
March 2nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
C'mon now guys,

CSU's stadium is new....but small.....lacks visitor bathrooms....porto potties are available :p

And unless your bringing more than a couple of thou.....will accomodate you nicely.

Did you not see how many traveled to G-Webb............and that was before title # 2 and is not even remotely as cool as the beach, so I would say 8,000 - 10,000 ASU fans.

UNHWildCats
March 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Presybterian is hosting Chowan on Nov 3

The only way Presybterian plays Gardner-Webb this season is on Sep 15 but ASU claims they are playing them that day so i dunno

Mountaineer#96
March 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

The only way Presybterian plays Gardner-Webb this season is on Sep 15 but ASU claims they are playing them that day so i dunno

G-Webb is OURS!!!!!!!!!!! xlolx xlolx

UNHWildCats
March 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
is the date firm?

Mountaineer#96
March 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
without an official release it isn't but the G-Webb contract is a home and home. Only game we all know for sure is Michigan right out of the gate, b/c they have officially cited it on both our site and UM's.

Ol Blue
March 2nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Did you not see how many traveled to G-Webb............and that was before title # 2 and is not even remotely as cool as the beach, so I would say 8,000 - 10,000 ASU fans.

We'd have to switch sides and use the porto-potties:smiley_wi

Ol Blue
March 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
....and perhaps let some of you sit on our side........

CSU BUCS
March 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
CSU’S playing surface is well maintained Hybrid Bermuda grass.

Sir William
March 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I can hardly believe that CSU posters are actually trying to justify having a home game against a team like App (or any other big-time FCS program). Nothing against the Bucs, their players, or their fans...just the way things are.

Until your administration, athletic department, and boosters get it together and step up to the plate to house your football team in digs that will hold at least 8000 (and that's still small), you are going to have a hard time scheduling OOC big-time FCS programs as home games. This is not meant to be smack...it's just the reality of $$$.

And before you smack me...I'm glad you beat El Cid. Sorry Citdog.

Sir William
March 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
I can hardly believe that CSU posters are actually trying to justify having a home game against a team like App (or any other big-time FCS program). Nothing against the Bucs, their players, or their fans...just the way things are.

Until your administration, athletic department, and boosters get it together and step up to the plate to house your football team in digs that will hold at least 8000 (and that's still small), you are going to have a hard time scheduling OOC big-time FCS programs as home games. This is not meant to be smack...it's just the reality of $$$.

And before you smack me...I'm glad you beat El Cid. Sorry Citdog.

Am I being too harsh? Forgive me. It's been a rough week at work.

Mountaineer#96
March 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Am I being too harsh? Forgive me. It's been a rough week at work.

You are not really being harsh, more or less very honest.

I remember back in 2003 when I passed on a visit to CSU as a recruit mostly because what I had heard of the program I didn't much like. I know that was 4 years ago and things have changed since. If they tried to make football work as much as CCU has then I think they would be a possible FCS power. I think the last comment is going to blow some tops.:thumbsup:

Jaques
March 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, CSU needs to experience the App. State "hospitality"!:thumbsup:
And I'm serious about that. The playoff game was an incredible experience.

CSU BUCS
March 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Yes, CSU needs to experience the App. State "hospitality"!:thumbsup:
And I'm serious about that. The playoff game was an incredible experience.

I've experianced 26 games in Boone. Not as a visitor though.

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
FOUR D-IIs?

Stop the bleeding - go back to D II

and 2 of 'em are road games :eek:

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM

your field is covered with crabgrass. Ours is field turf. It's not the same.

2,000 patrons is also not the same as 20,000.

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM

sounds like a jamboree!

AZGrizFan
March 3rd, 2007, 02:21 PM
We all know that SS has been terrible for a while.... Why would it make sense for them to schedule way over their heads and get pounded week in and week out? They pretty much do that now anyways.... If that keeps up long enough, football teams tend to go away.... I am not a fan of playing lower division games, but for some teams that are trying to rebuild, it make perfect sense. A better approach would be to work harder to schedule Butler, Valparaiso, Saint Peters, etc. These would be competitive games and be FCS games. Yeah, I know, travel is expensive.... I still think that is a better option than loading up on lower division teams. If it cannot be done, build some confidence and momentum in your program by winning some games against lower level teams. Success breeds success while failure just demoralizes folks. In the PFL, Butler is a good example. They have been very bad as of late, and are scheduling more lower division teams. Last season they won some games, including beating Dayton! From what I have heard, their recruiting has improved this year and good or bad, they dropped a couple of men's sports to focus more resources on football. Don't be so hasty to hammer a schedule for any school. Hopefully, the AD's at our schools actually have a clue and are doing what is best for the institution. Ultimately, we all hope that they are doing what is best for the football programs given the constraints under which they operate.

Why don't they just recruit better? Is there some magical requirement that keeps all the decent athletes from attending Savannah State? :confused: :confused:

Libertine
March 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
C'mon now guys,

You've obviously never walked on it. The grass is fine. It's the layer of soft delta sand underneath the grass that's the problem. I don't care how big a lineman is; he shouldn't be leaving potholes in the field when he takes a step.

Libertine
March 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Again, according to our PC brethren, they're hosting Chowan on Nov. 17th.

Also, according to the Big South offices, PC is playing every conference team this year, G-W included. Since no one has officially released a schedule yet, I couldn't say for sure how that's going to work.

CSU BUCS
March 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
You've obviously never walked on it. The grass is fine. It's the layer of soft delta sand underneath the grass that's the problem. I don't care how big a lineman is; he shouldn't be leaving potholes in the field when he takes a step.
I have................have you?

Ol Blue
March 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
your field is covered with crabgrass. Ours is field turf. It's not the same.

2,000 patrons is also not the same as 20,000.

Well.........since your last visit we have very little crabgrass, if any.....the stadium held over 6000 one game this season and there was still room for more....I think the actual number we can seat is around 7 thou, though I may be wrong. And of course there is plenty of room in the end zone areas if we get really crowded (which seems to be common in 1-AA schools I've seen)

Overall, not on par with the rest of our competitors we can still play regulation games on it and seat quite a few fans.

And the playing surface of the field is as good as any I've seen around...perhaps a lot has been done since Mills got there 4 years ago.

MarkCCU
March 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
god Savannah State sucks...tis a shame

Libertine
March 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I have................have you?

Yes, I have. On numerous occasions. I wouldn't be talking about it if I hadn't. Your field is exhausting to play on b/c of the sand. It takes that much more energy to move around and play on than a "normal" field and many visiting teams are completely worn out by the middle of the 4th quarter. I've compared notes with some other people and the consensus is that CSU has an edge in conditioning b/c you're on that field all the time. It gives you a definite leg up in terms of being a "4th-quarter" team and, if I were Jay Mills, I'd be playing as many games on that field as I could.

But, in terms of comparison to App St., the playing surface is not the same.

Ol Blue
March 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM
quote:"Your field is exhausting to play on b/c of the sand. It takes that much more energy to move around and play on than a "normal" field and many visiting teams are completely worn out by the middle of the 4th quarter."

And I thought that was because of our excellent competitveness on the field.......not the sand on the field:smiley_wi

You're right.....maybe we need to make it more sandy.

I guess I've never noticed the difference, being from Florida, we have sand based surface under everything we do....seemed noraml to me.:rolleyes:

Libertine
March 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Well, I could mention your "excellent competitiveness" in Lynchburg last year but I won't. It's beside the point. :smiley_wi

Smack aside, I grew up in Ladson and my high school track team practiced right there at Buc Field. I've been on that field many times and I've been to a lot of other places, too. I can tell you that that surface -- from New England to Ohio to Tennesse to Florida -- is very different from any other college or pro field I've ever been on.

CSU BUCS
March 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
What year did you "grow up in ladson" ?...............
just wondering

appfan2008
March 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
0-11 again!!!!!!!!!

Libertine
March 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM
What year did you "grow up in ladson" ?...............
just wondering

Graduated high school in '93, back when Ladson was just a zip code between North Charleston and Summerville.

CSU BUCS
March 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Graduated high school in '93, back when Ladson was just a zip code between North Charleston and Summerville.

The field has changed alot in the last 5-6 years. I have now way of knowing how much it has changed over the last 14 years......... I would say alot........ but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Ol Blue
March 6th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Granted the facilities are small, cramped and the stadium lacks visitor bathrooms....

The stadium holds 7-8 thou....

It looks more like a large High School stadium....

All of this none of us disagree with....but

The field is first class.....I've walked on it many times...this past year in fact.

Of course none of this really matters if you field a first class, winning team....and that is where our emphasis is at this point.

Libertine
March 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
The field has changed alot in the last 5-6 years. I have now way of knowing how much it has changed over the last 14 years......... I would say alot........ but I have no way of knowing for sure.

The last time I was there was 2005. I'll just stop right there. :o

CSU BUCS
March 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
so the field made the one point dif.?

Kill'em
March 7th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Why don't they just recruit better? Is there some magical requirement that keeps all the decent athletes from attending Savannah State? :confused: :confused:
Actually, I think they did pretty well with the signees they got this year. Yes, they have to replace some who quit the team, including the starting QB but this year, they get to have a spring practice so the coaches have more time with the players. We will see in a couple of years if the program turns around. Remember, they have been hit hard with penalties caused by the previous staff.

Keeper
March 7th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Kill'em, are you saying Garrett Williams QB quit the team??
That's news to me. Confirmation?

wsufan
March 7th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Kill'em, are you saying Garrett Williams QB quit the team??
That's news to me. Confirmation?

http://savannahnow.com/node/237717

One of the more intriguing competitions is between quarterbacks Javares Taylor and JaCorey Kilcrease, who must fill the void left by two-year starter Garrett Williams, who transferred to Fort Valley State.

Libertine
March 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
so the field made the one point dif.?

I wish I could say that. The field was certainly a fatigue factor -- especially for all the underclassmen we had out there -- and we completely crapped the bed but your team deserves the credit for that win b/c, down by 2 TDs w/ 6:00 to play, they played all the way to the end and pulled it out. If CSU had lost that game, the words "Super Safety" would have never mattered.