spelunker64
February 28th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Yeeeee Hawwww

citdog
February 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Jerry Glanville! Get those tickets for Elvis ready at will-call!:thumbsup:

Mr. C
February 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I just received an email about the press conference a few minutes ago.

ucdtim17
February 28th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Great news for PSU - bad for the rest of the BSC (and us)

GRZZ
February 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
We'll see. I think this is a great hire for PSU, especially at this point of the off season. However, do we really think our FCS level of play is so simple and easy that any big time coach could come down and be a fairly quick success? This was supposed to happen with McBride at Weber State too. Grant it, they have different backgrounds, but he hasn't been as instantly successful as people expected him to be. Another example would be when Montana hired Pat Kennedy and his big time final four experience to turn our basketball program into the next big mid major. That didn't work out for him at all and was gone within two years (That worked out splendidly for us, but that is another thread).
My point is this, every level, every conference, every school has its own set of challenges. Glanville is 65 years old. How different are things since the last time he was a head coach? Again, GREAT HIRE but lets hold off the PSU anointing oil until a few spring practices in at least.

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Applied for so many jobs...

About time he landed somewhere...Portland St, how 'bout that?

Mr. C
February 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM
This is a great hire for Portland State. It gives them much needed exposure and a buzz that will last all the way into the season. They also got a very good coach. Remember, this is a program that has as much talent as anyone other than Montana. If I were picking the Big Sky order of finish, I would have selected Portland State No. 2, even before Glanville was hired. The addition of Mouse Davis coming back on offense is also tremendous for the Vikings. Having covered junior college and high school teams that have used the Run and Shoot, I can't wait to see PSU play.

danefan
February 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Glanville

They move fast over there at wikidpedia.

I typed in Glanville's name in my location bar and this came up.

February 28th, 2007, 03:21 PM
congrats, I hope the media picks up more Vikings coverage there

citdog
February 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Jerry Glanville on WAVES when?

spelunker64
February 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Glanville to become Portland State coach

By JAYMES SONG, AP Sports Writer
February 28, 2007

HONOLULU (AP) -- Jerry Glanville is ready to run another football team. This time, the former NFL coach is set to take over at Portland State.

Glanville, who led the Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons, will be introduced by the Division I-AA school at a news conference Wednesday night. He had been Hawaii's defensive coordinator for two years.

"He brings spark. He brings with him some star power. That's pretty obvious," Portland State assistant athletic director Mike Lund told The Associated Press. "I'm not saying that's why he exclusively got the job. Obviously he can coach, too. But in our situation that was pretty valuable."

The 65-year-old Glanville replaces longtime coach Tim Walsh, who became the offensive coordinator at Army.

Walsh went 90-68 at Portland State, including 7-4 last season. He led the Vikings to three straight playoff appearances at the Division II level before they moved up to Division I-AA and the Big Sky Conference in 1996.

At Hawaii, Glanville helped install a hard-hitting, aggressive defense on a team known for its offensive prowess.

Before Hawaii, Glanville was a TV commentator and had a long career in the NFL. He was known as much for his personality as his coaching. Outspoken and often dressed in black, he playfully left tickets for Elvis Presley to pay homage to the late singer.

JALMOND
February 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
This is a good hire for us, I believe. The players wanted Lupfer, but the buzz going around the city about PSU football was incredible this past week. Glanville being a candidate placed the search on the front page of the predominatly Pac-10 Oregonian, toppling the ongoing saga of the Ducks basketball woes. My Ducks and Beavers friends and co-workers were coming to me asking about the Vikings. People all over the city are talking PSU football and it is only February.

It will be interesting to see what will happen this fall, but this is a major coup pulled off by an interim AD and a makeshift department. The addition (actually return) of Mouse Davis and the run and shoot is an added bonus. I would like to see Lupfer added as the DC, but this is still a great hire.

February 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
... do we really think our FCS level of play is so simple and easy that any big time coach could come down and be a fairly quick success? This was supposed to happen with McBride at Weber State too... Glanville is 65 years old. How different are things since the last time he was a head coach?...Was McBride an NFL head coach? Glanville has been a college coach for a while so I'm sure he knows what's going on in the game.

I Bleed Purple
February 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Well, I think for any BSC team outside UM, exposure is the big thing, more specifically bringing in recruits. WSU, PSU, NAU, Sac. St, and now ISU have to compete in state against the PAC-10 and the top portion of the MWC for recruits. These teams need coaches that spark interest. McBride is one who has recruiting ties and I'm sure Glanville does. Let's see how he is in four years with his recruits. McBride now has his own recruits at Sophomore or Junior level, so these next three years are crucial to WSU success. I'm sure 2009-2012 will be crucial for Glanville as well.

Tod
February 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think this is great!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope it brings in the fans. :nod: :nod: :nod:

NE MT GRIZZ
February 28th, 2007, 05:46 PM
The more attention the BSC can get the better.

89Hen
February 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Wow, great hire Viks! :thumbsup: Just get ready for the black unis.

Mr. C
February 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Jerry Glanville on WAVES when?
It would be nice for next week (hint, hint, Ralph).

Peems
February 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM
(GULP) While great for the big sky, the griz coaches may actually have to do some coaching to win this year!

GRZZ
February 28th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Was McBride an NFL head coach? Glanville has been a college coach for a while so I'm sure he knows what's going on in the game.

The next line in my post, the part you cut out, said that it was a great hire which I think it is. All I said was every place has its own challenges and lets wait and see it on the field.

youwouldno
February 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
He's famous, but that doesn't guarantee success. Erickson at Idaho should be a little bit of a concern, in terms of precedent.

Go...gate
March 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
I can't wait for the black-on-black uniforms with black numbers and black socks! :confused:

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
The difference between Glanville and McBride is that Glanville is coming into a situation where the program is healthy. The Vikings have good talent returning, good enough to be a top-20 team and perhaps a playoff participant this season. McBride went into a program that was a mess. Also, Glanville has had a lot more success as a coach than McBride ever did at Utah. McBride was a name hire in the Rocky Mountain region, but really not anywhere else. Glanville is a national name.

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
They're a good team, I don't doubt that.

But they play in a baseball park for crying out loud.

PSU has some of the worst athletic facilities in FCS.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 10:35 AM
They're a good team, I don't doubt that.

But they play in a baseball park for crying out loud.

PSU has some of the worst athletic facilities in FCS.
Which is precisely why they need someone of Glanville's ability to build the program.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
How much Run-N-Shoot will we actually see???

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 10:42 AM
Bah, hopefully they stick to their impressive power running game and stay away from the chuck n duck crap.

LacesOut
March 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM
The more attention the BSC can get the better.

x2.

Hope he is successfull at PSU and gets their arses into the playoffs.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
How much Run-N-Shoot will we actually see???
With Mouse Davis coming in, it will be the centerpiece of the offense

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
Bah, hopefully they stick to their impressive power running game and stay away from the chuck n duck crap.
That power running game has gotten them where in recent years? Dude, you really don't have a clue about offensive football. Are you related to Woody Hayes? I guess you don't remember that Mouse Davis put together one of the most impressive offensive machine ever in college football. Ever hear of Neil Lomax? The Mouse Davis system is still doing well at Hawaii and many other places. The current trend of the spread offense (which has won ALL eight NCAA titles in the past two years) combines a lot of Mouse Davis theory (passing game stuff, receivers and QBs reading defenses and running the correct routes) with Bill Yeoman theory (veer option).

But then you could just go back to three yards and a cloud of dust ... That would be so fun.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
Congrats to PSU
Really good hire.
should be fun for the PSU fans in the next couple of years.
If Mouse is coming with him they will have 2 quality coaches for both sidews of the ball.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
Wouldn't be a bad idea for Glanville to keep the current defensive coordinator. He did a GREAT job under Tim Walsh.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Mr C
What is your take on him staying if he has immediate success. Someone earlier made a comment about Erickson at Idaho.
I don't see Glanville getting ready to use this as a stepping stone.
I would think at his age he is looking for a place to settle down and end his career. Any thoughts.

March 1st, 2007, 11:31 AM
... But then you could just go back to three yards and a cloude of dust ... That would be so fun.Yeah it would be!!! I love a power running team. :nod: But five yards and a cloud of dust is much better. :D

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM
Probably would need to bring back the Georgia Southern option for that.

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 11:34 AM
(which has won ALL eight NCAA titles in the past two years)

Must be why all the NFL teams are falling over themselves to implement it.

*remembers "fun n gun" at Washington* xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM

Yeah that offense has really helped Navy!

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:36 AM
Mr C
What is your take on him staying if he has immediate success. Someone earlier made a comment about Erickson at Idaho.
I don't see Glanville getting ready to use this as a stepping stone.
I would think at his age he is looking for a place to settle down and end his career. Any thoughts.
Glanville might enjoy just coaching at this level. He is at an age where he is more interested in having fun than anything else. He's been a successful NFL coach. What else does he have to prove by moving up. Could be like Jerry Moore and just fall in love with coaching these kids. By the way, Portland might not be Hawaii, but it is a very nice place to live.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah that offense has really helped Navy!
With all due respect, Navy is the wrong team to attack at AGS. Most of us consider Paul Johnson just a teeny bit below Erk Russell on the list coaching ICONS in I-AA/FCS history. Navy has been a lot better with the option than they were before PJ was named head coach. Three bowl games in three years for the first time in school history. Yes, that offense has really messed up Navy's program. xidiotx : smh : :eek:

dbackjon
March 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM

Again, this shows your lack of knowledge of football.

Systems that work in college do not always translate to the next level, just as players that can dominate at college do not always make it in the pros.

The speed difference between the two levels is astounding. You can run offensive plays of many types in college that get eaten up by even mediocre deffences in the NFL.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
With Mouse Davis coming in, it will be the centerpiece of the offense
I don't see Mouse Davis running anything BUT the Run-&-Shoot. Thats just crazy to think otherwise.

dbackjon
March 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
With all due respect, Navy is the wrong team to attack at AGS. Most of us consider Paul Johnson just a teeny bit below Erk Russell on the list coaching ICONS in I-AA/FCS history. Navy has been a lot better with the option than they were before PJ was named head coach. Three bowl games in three years for the first time in school history. Yes, that offense has really messed up Navy's program. xidiotx : smh : :eek:

Beat me to answering that one - Navy is 10x better team than pre-PJ.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM
If you DON"T think PJ and the FLEX has GREEEAAAAATTTLLYYY improved Navy football - Well then your an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
The speed difference between the two levels is astounding.

IE, a fast college defense will eat it up.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when our opponents run the spread. We eat it for breakfast.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hopefully, Flexbone, you understood that I was saying just that. That Navy is FAR better with PJ. You did catch the sarcasm, didn't you? We all know who around here who is having trouble understanding the facts.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM

NFL teams are SLOW to make any changes. They operate out of fear. The NFL isn't where you look for innovation hardly ever. By the way, several NFL teams have used the Run and Shoot to advance to the playoffs over the years, including teams coached by Glanville.

Steve Spurrier's offense would have done fine, if he had been able to find a quarterback. He never had a good QB in Washington. It's not like the brilliant and conservative Joe Gibbs has done anything offensively since Spurrier left the Skins.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
Hopefully, Flexbone, you understood that I was saying just that. That Navy is FAR better with PJ. You did catch the sarcasm, didn't you? We all know who around here who is having trouble understanding the facts.
Exactly - no it wasn't directed to you but the guy trying to give you a hard time. I hit the wrong qoute.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM
IE, a fast college defense will eat it up.

Don't get me wrong, I love it when our opponents run the spread. We eat it for breakfast.
And a fast offense will eat up a college defense with the spread. I guess Appalachian State, Grand Valley State, Wisconsin-Whitewater, Texas and Florida have NEVER faced any fast defenses (other than every day in practice for Florida, Texas and ASU). Bring on North Dakota State's "fast" defense anytime.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Exactly - no it wasn't directed to you but the guy trying to give you a hard time.
He is the same guy who always says the option doesn't work in college football anymore. We ought to send this guy to see Mike Ayers some time. I think the Black Belt Ayers could "knock" some sense into this guy.

CrazyCat
March 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Here's a quote from yesterdays press conference. "If you're at Montana State and you're in Bozeman and you think you're tougher than we are,we're going to run a play called 32 Cut, and I don't care if we don't gain a yard, we're going to knock somebody down."

It's starting to feel like it's going to be a very entertaining year in the Big Sky.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Here's a quote from yesterdays press conference. "If you're at Montana State and you're in Bozeman and you think you're tougher than we are,we're going to run a play called 32 Cut, and I don't care if we don't gain a yard, we're going to knock somebody down."

It's starting to feel like it's going to be a very entertaining year in the Big Sky.

Great quote - Whether your a PSU or Mont St fan. Talkin' smack early should fire up anyone and everyone. YEAH !! Lets play some football!!!

Bobcat in NC
March 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM

God, I hope the Big Human responds to that one. Hearing the quotes from these two could be hysterical. Adding a personality like Glanville's is going to make this a fun year (both in Portland and the rest of the Sky). Definitely a great hire for the Vikings.

flexbone
March 1st, 2007, 12:21 PM
He is the same guy who always says the option doesn't work in college football anymore. We ought to send this guy to see Mike Ayers some time. I think the Black Belt Ayers could "knock" some sense into this guy.

Exactly.

I don't think he realizes The Pros and College are really 2 totally different forms of football. U hit it n the head - The Pros are very Vanilla based due to extraordinary players at every position even the 2nd string.
College allows for more creativity both offensively and defensively.
With regard to the influx of shotgun spread - run and shoot - type offense,
Just look around everyone is using some form of it even if they don't buy into it 100 %. The only thing I could say in that guys defense would be that I personally like the West Virginia/ App St style better then the Hawaii/ Texas Tech style- but that is personal preferrance both styles produce - BIG TIME.
I wish we would have installed the WV/ App St style last year. Can u imagine J Foster running it - O MY Goodness !!!

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 12:39 PM
NFL teams are SLOW to make any changes. They operate out of fear. The NFL isn't where you look for innovation hardly ever. By the way, several NFL teams have used the Run and Shoot to advance to the playoffs over the years, including teams coached by Glanville.

Steve Spurrier's offense would have done fine, if he had been able to find a quarterback. He never had a good QB in Washington. It's not like the brilliant and conservative Joe Gibbs has done anything offensively since Spurrier left the Skins.

Most noticably....The Houston Oilers (Now Tennessee Titans) and Atlanta Falcons

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Exactly.

I don't think he realizes The Pros and College are really 2 totally different forms of football. U hit it n the head - The Pros are very Vanilla based due to extraordinary players at every position even the 2nd string.
Just look around everyone is using some form of it even if they don't buy into it 100 %. The only thing I could say in that guys defense would be that I personally like the West Virginia/ App St style better then the Hawaii/ Texas Tech style- but that is personal preferrance both styles produce - BIG TIME.
I wish we would have installed the WV/ App St style last year. Can u imagine J Foster running it - O MY Goodness !!!

I have a feeling GSU will be doing that real soon....not now....but soon

JALMOND
March 1st, 2007, 01:24 PM
This hiring of Glanville has raised the focus of the program so far. Today's Oregonian had a feature story about it on the front page of the whole damn paper! Then two followup stories with commentary and a big headline in the sports section. The only times this year that I can recall that happening was when the Beavers beat USC in football and the Ducks beat UCLA in basketball. PSU is actually having people call for season tickets this year and the athletic department supposedly raised $40,000 in the first half hour of the hire. ESPN had a note of the hiring trickle across its information bar. There is a sense of excitement in Portland about PSU football.

The first stop of the new Glanville Football Excitement is September 1 in Lake Charles, LA, an interesting must win game on the road against McNeese State, and ironically just down the road from Houston where he coached in the NFL. May the fun begin.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Wow, the Portland Oregonian figuered out PSU plays football.

dbackjon
March 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM

Glanville's first year salary was worth just that alone.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Exactly.

I thought that was what VanGorder originally planned to do was run the spread. But his offense had NO imagination. I would have benched Clarke (who couldn't pass much better than Foster could and was one of the SLOWEST QBs in all of the FCS), put Foster back there and say stop him. Foster running the spread would be a lot like watching Armanti Edwards at the controls of the offense (though Edwards is a better passer).

JALMOND
March 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM

Amazing, considering that they are just across the street from the stadium. Here's hoping that Glanville will put us on the front page with the Ducks and Beavers where we belong, instead of burying us next to Linfield on page 7.

Mr. C
March 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM
I am truly excited for the Viking program.

McTailGator
March 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Jerry Glanville! Get those tickets for Elvis ready at will-call!:thumbsup:

He gets his first taste of FCS football under the bright lights of Cowboy Stadium...

We typically have sky divers that jump into the game, I guess one will have to dress up like Elvis now. ;)

Mort
March 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Amazing, considering that they are just across the street from the stadium. Here's hoping that Glanville will put us on the front page with the Ducks and Beavers where we belong, instead of burying us next to Linfield on page 7.

Too bad the PSU buzz over Glanville only had a couple of days to run before today's Blazer news. I'm afraid that'll bump PSU off the local media's radar again.

Hammerhead
March 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Mabye the Vikings will make the Saturday night sportscast before the local stations finish showing every PAC-10 game and the top 25 scores instead of squeezing them in at the end.

Peems
March 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
and the Big Sky rises from the ashes!!!!

PSUVikings
March 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
He and Mouse will help our program on and off the field, very excited about this.

ncbears
March 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
It will be great to see him at Nottingham!

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
He and Mouse will help our program on and off the field, very excited about this.

as well you should be! :thumbsup:

Tealblood
March 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM
the story with glanville was talked about on the saturday ESPN radio show yesterday the show with mel Kiper, Kiper and glanville have appearently been friends awhile he(kiper) was surprised he took the job thought he had recieved interest from I-A(and yes i know it is wrong nomeclature but is what he said) but that it should get pretty exciting up in Oregon with him at the helm.

Ronbo
March 4th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Glanville's got me excited. Can't wait to play them. Here's some quotes from a Portland Radio interview.

"I'm not a pep talk guy. I'm a preparation guy. We're gonna be prepared. We're gonna take one day every day in spring and it'll be Griz day. We're going after the Griz. We're going after the University of Montana. They're undefeated in the Big Sky. It's time somebody tried to halt that thing, but you've got to have a total support group. You've got to have the president has to want that, the selection committee has to want that, the city has to want us to do that. Otherwise, you're better off not showing up."

"We'll be the hardest hitting team on the west coast," he said. "Those that don't like to hit people, we'll help you transfer. ... You come here we're gonna knock you out.""I believe you run the football for toughness," said Glanville. "You throw the ball to ring the bell."

"You've got to have your support group. I started meeting the support group, your video people have to be behind you, your equipment man has to be behind you. Tomorrow I get to meet with the trainers. You've got to find out what the total commitment is. Jerry Glanville can not come here and win one football game. If Jerry Glanville comes here it's the power of we over me and if you get everybody grabbing a hold of that rope and pulling in the same direction and you have a support group that's going to turn this into something special that it should be then you're very interested. Now in turn, they may talk to me and not like me. . . They may say that guy's crazy, which is borderline half right."

"You have to get out - I'll walk into every merchant in town (and say) give me $1000, I'm sending you 10 season tickets and I'm sending a big sign to put in your window that says "we're closed on these five dates. We're not gonna be open five Saturdays because were going to the ballgame." You can do what you want with the ten tickets. Give them to your best customers, give them to your best employees, come down here we'll have a raffle - we'll give them away. We need not just the alumni, not just the student body - we need the city to take pride in this program, otherwise you've got to decide - are you gonna be a tweener or are we gonna re'ally go after it -what's our goal? Do we break even or do we want to run a streak down, do we want to win some football games?"

Kill'em
March 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
do we really think our FCS level of play is so simple and easy that any big time coach could come down and be a fairly quick success?
This one of the mistakes BVG made at Georgia Southern.

Kill'em
March 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
:hurray:

Note: Mr C refers to this as the "Georgia Southern Option."

Man, do I miss it. :bawling:

MplsBison
March 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
How could you miss the option?

Mr. C
March 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Can you not read? Time and time again we have offered proof to you of the option's effectiveness. Either put up a LOGICAL argument, or stay on the sidelines in your Troll hole.

Mr. C
March 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
:hurray:

Note: Mr C refers to this as the "Georgia Southern Option."

Man, do I miss it. :bawling:
Just giving homage where it is due. Ever since Urban Meyer and others STOLE the term "spread option" from PJ, calling it the Georgia Southern option at least makes it clear what you are talking about.

MplsBison
March 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM
put up a LOGICAL argument

No NFL teams use it => it doesn't work.

Mr. C
March 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
This is a college board, not an NFL board. We are talking about what works in COLLEGE football. I'm trying to go slow for you here, since you are having trouble understanding.

MplsBison
March 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
If the pros won't use it, there must be something fundamentally unsound about the scheme.

JohnStOnge
March 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
That's good news for McNeese. Means a great chance of a great home crowd for the 2007 opener. I'm sure the "Glanville" angle will be played up big time.

Plus...and as I said in another thread I don't want to get too excited...I think McNeese has a shot to be back to its previous standards next year if enough people stay healthy/eligible. Ought to be a very interesting home opener. Good "oil check" game...as "Zem" used to say.

JohnStOnge
March 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM
The current trend of the spread offense (which has won ALL eight NCAA titles in the past two years) combines a lot of Mouse Davis theory (passing game stuff, receivers and QBs reading defenses and running the correct routes) with Bill Yeoman theory (veer option)..

Did Mount Union run that? I'm trying to remember.

Cleets
March 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Portland State will be playing in the chapionship game in 4 years... (or less)

-

JohnStOnge
March 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Portland State will be playing in the chapionship game in 4 years... (or less)

We'll see. I think there's a good chance he'll help PSU recruiting. On the other hand, I think Glanville is as much about hype as he is about substance. And I think his presence as well as his mouth will ensure that every FCS team that lines up against the Vikings will be ready to play.

Kill'em
March 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
If the pros won't use it, there must be something fundamentally unsound about the scheme.
Look at our record while running it. We put a lot of points on the board. We could score in one play or hold the football for eight minutes and dictate the pace of the game. Ask Mark Richt about this. Teams may stop it occasionally but not always. Furman and App St fans will attest to this. This offense is similar to an air attack in that it takes a lot of practice to get it right. When everyone is on the same page it is devestating and beautiful to watch.

There are really only two weaknesses of the triple option:
1) Very turnover prone - not good in bad weather
2) Not good to play catch-up - passing is not as good due to so much time being devoted to the run. (see above)

It is too bad Coach Sewak wasn't here last year when we played y'all. You would have seen a much scarier Georgia Southern team. Ask SDSU about how effective the triple option is.

MplsBison
March 5th, 2007, 09:37 AM
We've beaten Nicholls and Carson Newman soundly in the last 3 years.

Triple option has never given us any problems.

OL FU
March 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Those don't compare to the old Eagle offense.

NE MT GRIZZ
March 5th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Griz fans know this, unfortunately.:(

MplsBison
March 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Triple option is triple option.

You have a dive back, the QB keep, and the pitch.

A smart, fast defense will never have a problem defending all 3 options well.

NE MT GRIZZ
March 5th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Not if you keep your secondary honest for the deep ball.
GSU was good at lulling you with the option, then comes the 40yd pass over the top, TD.

OL FU
March 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM

The triple option when combined with the speed and ability of star players is a lot more than Nichols or Carson Newman would have ever shown you. It is not run by many teams those that do it well are almost unstoppable and that is the difference in what you have experienced

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 11:48 AM

And how many smart, fast defenses stopped Georgia Southern over the years? NOT MANY. Why don't you just admit that you are wrong on a subject instead of rehashing tired, old, innacurate arguments?
xidiotx

The option is part of lot of college offenses right now. It is a major part of the Spread, which has DOMINATED college football in the past two years (every NCAA championship ran it).

MplsBison
March 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM
"The option" is not the triple option.

How many teams have DOMINATED college football in the past 2 years running the triple option?

MplsBison
March 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Not if you keep your secondary honest for the deep ball.

That's not the triple option.

The TO is a running play.

Throwing the ball is not a triple option.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Did Mount Union run that? I'm trying to remember.
Yes, Mount Union runs the no huddle spread. As a matter of fact, they have traded stuff from their system with Appalachian State. All of these coaches are tight with each other.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:06 PM
That's not the triple option.

The TO is a running play.

Throwing the ball is not a triple option.
It would be nice if we were talking to someone here who had ANY thing other than a basic knowledge of football. You show you don't know your stuff with every post. The triple option is just one part of an offensive SYSTEM. Even if you run it 90 percent of the time, you need to do other things to be more successful. You have to pass at times. Jim Brakefield, one of the most innovative triple option, wishbone coaches of all time, had a pass option with quarterbacks such as Robbie Price and Steve Brown back in the 1970s at Appalachian State. People still run Brakefield's stuff at places like Wofford and Air Force. Fisher DeBerry, the recently retired Air Force coach was Brakefield's offensive coordinator. I know Paul "Bear" Bryant studied and implemented such things as the pass into his triple option as well. One of the reasons that Paul Johnson has been SO effective is that he is one of the best coaches in the business for making subtle adjustments in formation, blocking schemes etc. that take things away from the defense.

People like Paul Johnson, Mouse Davis and Jim Brakefield have had HUGE influences on college football and will continue to have big influences for a long time.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
"The option" is not the triple option.

How many teams have DOMINATED college football in the past 2 years running the triple option?
All option football has its root in what Emory Ballard introduced to Texas as the wishbone back in the 1960s. It all started as triple option. You had some variations like Bill Yeoman's Houston Veer, which used two RBs instead of three and allowed for more balance and better passing, and you had Jim Brakefield's wishbone, which developed the passing game to a higher level and fathered such offenses as what is used at Air Force and Wofford. All of the spread option stuff goes back to those roots.

You know I have quoted you statistics in the past on the effectiveness of the Georgia Southern triple option offense in current offensive football. Teams like Georgia Southern, Nicholls State, Wofford, Central Connecticut State, Rhode Island etc. have all had their share of offensive success in the past couple of years. Check out NCAA rushing statistics in the past decade and see what you find. Several of those teams have also been ranked in the top 20. The fact that the spread option is winning championships right now doesn't mean you can't win one with the triple option. Georgia Southern has won one NCAA title since 2000, came within a field goal that went a foot wide of making it to the 2002 championship game (they probably would have beaten McNeese State in the final) and had probably the top team in the country in 2004, though the Eagles were upset in the playoffs. I haven't seen ANY evidence as to why the Georgia Southern triple option can't be successful today.

Mr. C
March 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Of course you beat Carson-Newman. They are a Division II team. You are suppose to beat Division II teams. Nicholls State is a team that has been good in some years and not so good in other years, but it has had more to do with poor defense than the soundness of the Colonel offensive system.

"NEVER" is an awfully big word for you to use. I'm sure NDSU has lost some games to option teams in the past 10 or 15 years.

JALMOND
March 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
That's good news for McNeese. Means a great chance of a great home crowd for the 2007 opener. I'm sure the "Glanville" angle will be played up big time.

Plus...and as I said in another thread I don't want to get too excited...I think McNeese has a shot to be back to its previous standards next year if enough people stay healthy/eligible. Ought to be a very interesting home opener. Good "oil check" game...as "Zem" used to say.

Getting back to substance, I have to agree. Even without the Glanville issue, the Sept 1 game was huge as far as playoff aspirations for both teams. Hard to imagine the first game having an impact on the playoffs, but the loser between PSU and McNeese might have to win their conference to gain a spot in the playoffs.

Kill'em
March 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Georgia had a sound, fast defense with All-Americans everywhere and we gave them fits. They put their first string in to make the margin of victory bigger. The QB in the triple option, just like the passing game, must be intelligent enough to read defenses. If he sees a safety cheating to the line and man coverage on the outside, he will throw deep. We ate defenses up with this. When run correctly, it is next to impossible to stop.

McNeese75
March 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Getting back to substance, I have to agree. Even without the Glanville issue, the Sept 1 game was huge as far as playoff aspirations for both teams. Hard to imagine the first game having an impact on the playoffs, but the loser between PSU and McNeese might have to win their conference to gain a spot in the playoffs.

I would say both PSU and MSU are going to have to bust out of the gate and not slow down through conferece. Not sure about the BSC (:D _) but I know the SLC is going to be a rock and roll trip for all involved :nod:

I was in Portalnd in 2004 for the game :( , I am definitly looking forward to Sept 1 :hurray:

Tod
March 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Here's a story from today's Missoulian about Glanville.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2007/03/05/sports/sports01.txt

MplsBison
March 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM
People still run Brakefield's stuff at places like Wofford and Air Force.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2783317

For 23 years, Air Force football was synonymous with coach Fisher DeBerry and the option offense that helped make him an icon.

Next season, both will be gone.

Another one bites the dust...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mr. C
March 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2783317

Another one bites the dust...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Not so fast. There will almost certainly be an option presence in the new Air Force offense. The Falcons hired Tim Horton as their offensive coordinator and almost all of his background has been in the option. He played for Ken Hatfield (with Jerry Moore as one of his offensive coaches) at Arkansas. Hatfield is an old wishbone coach. Horton then came to Appalachian State as the running backs coach and was involved in the Nebraska I formation option that Jerry Moore ran. Horton then went to Air Force for a number of years as an offensive coach until being hired by Ron Prince of Kansas State (a former Appalachian State player) last season. Horton is firmly planted in the Jim Brakefield family tree of coaching. I would expect Air Force to run something similar to the spread option next year from what I'm hearing.

P.S. Tim Horton is the favorite of many to eventually replace Jerry Moore as the next Appalachian State head coach.

Mr. C
March 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM
That will have to be one of the most anticipated games of the 2007 season. Hope someone televises it.

Cleets
March 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
That will have to be one of the most anticipated games of the 2007 season. Hope someone televises it.

How much fun has this whole Glanville thing been!
I'm actually kind of excited about watching Portland State... (Who knew..?)

-

Mr. C
March 6th, 2007, 12:19 AM
The Vikings could be major players in FCS next season when you consider the talent they have coming back and the energy that Glanville and Mouse Davis will bring to things. Anything that gets FCS more attention likw this is great in my book.

Tod
March 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM
The Vikings could be major players in FCS next season when you consider the talent they have coming back and the energy that Glanville and Mouse Davis will bring to things. Anything that gets FCS more attention likw this is great in my book.

Not to mention the Big Sky, who takes a lot of guff for being a one-deep conference. :nod: :nod: :nod: