PDA

View Full Version : Alabama FCS Programs Need Wealth from 'Bama and Auburn

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM
This guy opened up a hornet's nest. Interested to see what happens with this one. I know several state governors and/or Legislatures in the past have gotten involved with football schedules. Will Alabama act on this? I don't think Auburn or 'Bama need to be stuck to playing an FCS opponent yearly if they do not have to...
-------------
Share the wealth:

Auburn University and the University of Alabama won't play Samford or Jacksonville State or Alabama A&M or Alabama State in football.

The big guys say they are managing their programs and it's up to the small schools - formerly known as Division I-AA and now as Championship Subdivision - to take care of theirs.

So, when Auburn, which recently announced its schedule, pays fellow Ohio Valley Conference member Tennessee Tech to come to Jordan-Hare for a homecoming whipping for about $400,000, it spits in the faces of Samford and Jax State.

And on Monday, UAB announced it would play Alcorn State, a conference brother of A&M and Alabama State. While the Blazers have played Troy and Jacksonville State in the past and they don't pay guarantees as large as AU and Bama do, state school fans would at least have had a non-conference game within easy driving distance.

What can fans of state schools do? How about this: Get Alabama and Auburn to budget a $500,000 payoff for all their Championship Subdivision patsies with $400,000 going to the team that shows up for the beating and rotating $100,000 among the in-state teams that need the money as much or more.

Alabama Legislature, float that balloon during your special session.

Mike Perrin --

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/11726551403410.xml&coll=2

dbackjon
February 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Good for him for bringing up the point. If the FBS programs are going to pay big bucks to play a FCS team, then they should keep it in-state!

jstate83
February 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good for him for bringing up the point. If the FBS programs are going to pay big bucks to play a FCS team, then they should keep it in-state!

Somebody should tell Ole Pi$$ and MRS. State that.
They will ship in a team from ALASKA before they play one of us...........JSU, Alcorn, or Valley.

Heck....................Them mofo's won't even play USM.
I'll never understand how 2 schools that can't even walk onto a field without tripping over their own shoelaces can look down on anybody.xlolx

They act like they big shat but in reality they just the SEC welfare teams living off the big dogs of the SEC.
Getting 6 crap wins and going to the "Who gives a shat" bowl is major for these mofo's.

BearsCountry
February 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Mizzou wont play us, they did schedule SEMO in the future but that was to tick us off.

Cocky
February 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody should tell Ole Pi$$ and MRS. State that.
They will ship in a team from ALASKA before they play one of us...........JSU, Alcorn, or Valley.

Heck....................Them mofo's won't even play USM.
I'll never understand how 2 schools that can't even walk onto a field without tripping over their own shoelaces can look down on anybody.xlolx

They act like they big shat but in reality they just the SEC welfare teams living off the big dogs of the SEC.
Getting 6 crap wins and going to the "Who gives a shat" bowl is major for these mofo's.

They played the real JSU last year. :D

jstate83
March 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM
They played the real JSU last year. :D

Naw.....................The real JSU would have scored more than 3 point's. :D
And under no circumstances would they have invited us for HOMECOMMING in this state.
That would have been a disaster waiting to happen for them. xlolx

They will never play the REAL JSU.
They don't have the gut's to invite JACKTOWN to Oxford.xlolx

PaladinFan
March 1st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Was talking to a friend about this last night. Auburn won't schedule an OCC game they even have the slightest possibilty of losing. The Tigers are keeping UL Monroe's program in business.

Mr. C
March 2nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
Auburn has been a little more careful about that ever since the Tigers got totally outplayed by App State in 1999 and escape with a win in the final seconds.

BearsCountry
March 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
Was talking to a friend about this last night. Auburn won't schedule an OCC game they even have the slightest possibilty of losing. The Tigers are keeping UL Monroe's program in business.

Auburn has K-State on the schedule this year.

Cocky
March 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
Auburn has K-State on the schedule this year.

And they won't lose that game either.

But I don't believe they would lose to any in-state team next year. UAT would have the best chance of winning, but JSU, AL State, UNA, Troy, UAB, or any other could not beat them.

ButlerGSU
March 2nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Georgia Southern has been trying to schedule Georgia Tech for years. Seeing as Georgia Southerns largest alumni base is in metro Atlanta it would be a 100% sellout which benefits Tech while also providing a nice payday to Georgia Southern but instead Tech schedules Samford. What a joke.

JohnStOnge
March 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM
LSU has openly stated its policy of not playing Louisiana I-AAs (that's what the classification was when they stated the policy). The LSU administration said that they can't play all the FCS schools so, to be fair, they won't play any of them. The one exception would've been if McNeese would've won the 2002 national championship game. If t that had happened LSU was going to schedule the Cowboys to open 2003 because of the unique situation involving playing the defending I-AA national champion.

Cocky
March 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Georgia Southern has been trying to schedule Georgia Tech for years. Seeing as Georgia Southerns largest alumni base is in metro Atlanta it would be a 100% sellout which benefits Tech while also providing a nice payday to Georgia Southern but instead Tech schedules Samford. What a joke.

To make matters worse, we are scheduled to play GT for 2 years. I would rather play GT than UAT or Auburn. The GT game will help us in recruiting more than either of the others. Atlanta is a great market for JSU to be in as it is only about an hour and a half away.