PDA

View Full Version : Bonus for FBS Games? At Citadel - Yes

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Not sure how much a fan of this that I am. Getting a bonus for scheduling big-money games? Are there other schools that have this? Maybe this bonus led to Robinson's donation because he knew he was going to get it? Very intriguing...

Citadel AD due $100K bonus for big-money games
Tuesday, February 27, 2007

BY JEFF HARTSELL
Citadel athletic director Les Robinson will earn $100,000 as a "special milestone award" for scheduling big-money games for the Bulldogs' football team, according to the terms of a contract extension he signed in 2005.

Robinson is to be paid that amount on June 30, 2008, if by that date he has arranged contracts for eight "money" games with bigger Division I-A schools between Sept. 1, 2005, and Dec. 1, 2010.

The three-year contract extension, signed on July 1, 2005, defines a "money" game as worth at least $300,000 to The Citadel. The Division I-AA Bulldogs already have played four such games since 2005, and have six more scheduled through 2010, including Wisconsin of the Big Ten next fall.

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPages/departmental/news/Stories.aspx?section=sports&tableId=132272&pubDate=2/27/2007

February 27th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Hear coach Higgins talk about those FBS games tonight... I don't think he gets a bonus for them.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I don't like this one bit. If you think playing 3 FBS schools helps in some way the student-athletes, that's perfectly OK. But offering up your student-athletes to humiliation (and possible injury) three times a year is quite a different matter - and if you're guaranteed a bonus from those games, we can see where HIS interests lie. :nonono2:

This guy has taken the dream of FCS playoffs from The Citadel, and killed it in the preseason with 3 FBS games. When it comes choosing between playoffs/winning the SoCon and paying for that ivory backscratcher, it's clear what he chose. :twocents:

El_Cid_99
February 27th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I somehow knew as soon as I read this article that it would be misinterpreted.

Anyone that knows anything about college athletics knows that Les is one of the most plugged-in AD's in all of college sports. As a sports fan (and Citadel fan) it has been a huge treat to be able to interact with Les on a near weekly basis, either on campus or in the community. If you didn't know, Les got his head coaching start here at The Citadel. He is intensely loyal to the school, and has been a great ambassador for the school.

The bottom line is, Les is an AD that could get a job at any school in the country he wanted. His connections have provided great exposure for our little school on the banks of the Ashley River. Our stadium was opened in 1949, and we are barely halfway done with the construction of the new stadium. We need dollars, and scheduling games against BCS schools is an easy way to accomplish that.

And many alumni have enjoyed travelling to places like LSU, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, Wyoming, Ole Miss, and Tallahassee.

Les is not going to be our AD forever. He has a nice house out at the beach, and we want to take advantage of his resources while he is still working for us. Rewarding him for that is completely acceptable, and any other Citadel grad will tell you the same.

Footix
February 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I don't like this one bit. If you think playing 3 FBS schools helps in some way the student-athletes, that's perfectly OK. But offering up your student-athletes to humiliation (and possible injury) three times a year is quite a different matter - and if you're guaranteed a bonus from those games, we can see where HIS interests lie. :nonono2:

This guy has taken the dream of FCS playoffs from The Citadel, and killed it in the preseason with 3 FBS games. When it comes choosing between playoffs/winning the SoCon and paying for that ivory backscratcher, it's clear what he chose. :twocents:

I understand what you are saying, but have you thought that those kids might prefer playing those three FBS games than playing in playoffs? For some kids, running out in front of 50,000 or more people is a bigger reward than winning the national title. You can't assume they mind the slaughter they are going to take.

February 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I understand what you are saying, but have you thought that those kids might prefer playing those three FBS games than playing in playoffs? For some kids, running out in front of 50,000 or more people is a bigger reward than winning the national title. You can't assume they mind the slaughter they are going to take.Wow, seems like that is a nutty post. They prefer playing FBS games over playoff games? Why are they playing FCS then? Do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? You say don't assume yet you assume when you say "For some kids, running out in front of 50,000 or more people is a bigger reward than winning the national title." Again, do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? Not to mention you say they might not mind being slaughtered. Seems nutty to me. :rolleyes:

appfan2008
February 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
These students enjoy running out in front of those people once a year or so and that is it. Other than that they want to win and win all the time. They want feel the joy of winning a national title game and all that come with it. This is especially true at a school like The Citadel. It is bogus to think a team likes to hear the crowd roar more than winning what they are there for!

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Y'all need to let The Citadel worry about The Citadel. Les Robinson is more respected than YOUR AD and it doesn't matter which school in FCS I am talking about. We are a school with 2,000 students and less than 15k living Alumni. We are in the process of finishing our Stadium Project and when we have that done it will be a MIRACLE! We are going to play 2 BCS games a year, except for this season, until we have Gen. Johnson Hagood C.S.A. Stadium completely renovated. This is not news.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Did you even read the thread? Les is donating the 100K to the Stadium Project.

Lionsrking
February 27th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Wow, seems like that is a nutty post. They prefer playing FBS games over playoff games? Why are they playing FCS then? Do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? You say don't assume yet you assume when you say "For some kids, running out in front of 50,000 or more people is a bigger reward than winning the national title." Again, do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? Not to mention you say they might not mind being slaughtered. Seems nutty to me. :rolleyes:

Obviously scheduling three FBS games makes it exceedingly difficult to get an autobid but I know in our case it has given us a huge boost in recruiting the last two signing classes. Kids love the idea of having a chance to play against FBS competition and still compete for a conference championship and possible playoff berth. Coaches hate it for obvious reasons but if it helps pay the bills and helps with recruiting, I have no problem with it.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 10:35 AM
And Terror it's THE CITADEL.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2007, 10:59 AM
And Terror it's THE CITADEL.

Tell your columnist that...:read:

I didn't have room in the subject title to squeeze it all in...I know all about El Cid! :thumbsup:

Footix
February 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, seems like that is a nutty post. They prefer playing FBS games over playoff games? Why are they playing FCS then? Do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? You say don't assume yet you assume when you say "For some kids, running out in front of 50,000 or more people is a bigger reward than winning the national title." Again, do you really want someone on your team to not want to achieve the objective of the team? Not to mention you say they might not mind being slaughtered. Seems nutty to me. :rolleyes:

It might be nutty but in many cases it's true. How many kids in FCS would rather be playing FBS? How many kids would have played FBS had they had the opportunity (scholy or PT)? I think it's a valid point. There is a local OL from Loris, S.C. that went to South Carolina. He has sat the bench for two years and will never play, but he won't transfer back to CCU where he would be a star. His reasoning? He likes running out in front of 85,000 at Williams-Brice 6 or 7 times a year. He could potentially help us win a national title here (at least get back to the playoffs) but he prefers that environment. Now this is just one case, but I'm sure there are others. Plus, let's be realistic. Can we really put El Cid in the national championship hunt?

Footix
February 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Obviously scheduling three FBS games makes it exceedingly difficult to get an autobid but I know in our case it has given us a huge boost in recruiting the last two signing classes. Kids love the idea of having a chance to play against FBS competition and still compete for a conference championship and possible playoff berth. Coaches hate it for obvious reasons but if it helps pay the bills and helps with recruiting, I have no problem with it.

Yeah I mean how many recruits has The Citadel gotten because of these games. Those kids aren't going there for the girls or the opportunity to win a national title.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Plus, let's be realistic. Can we really put El Cid in the national championship hunt?

We have finished the regular season ranked #1 in this division, and we have actually WON a playoff game. We would go undefeated in the Big South 9 years out of ten. We would beat CCU as badly as App has. We will be in the race for a playoff spot this season so yes I think you can put The Citadel in the NC hunt!

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
It might be nutty but in many cases it's true. How many kids in FCS would rather be playing FBS? How many kids would have played FBS had they had the opportunity (scholy or PT)? I think it's a valid point. There is a local OL from Loris, S.C. that went to South Carolina. He has sat the bench for two years and will never play, but he won't transfer back to CCU where he would be a star. His reasoning? He likes running out in front of 85,000 at Williams-Brice 6 or 7 times a year. He could potentially help us win a national title here (at least get back to the playoffs) but he prefers that environment. Now this is just one case, but I'm sure there are others. Plus, let's be realistic. Can we really put El Cid in the national championship hunt?

as you stated it differs from player to player, but kids do transfer to the FCS. I personally would much rather play football than ride the pine. But thats me

February 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM
It might be nutty but in many cases it's true.
How many kids in FCS would rather be playing FBS?
How many kids would have played FBS had they had the opportunity (scholy or PT)?
... His reasoning?
... Now this is just one case, but I'm sure there are others.

... Can we really put El Cid in the national championship hunt?Besides your five assumptions, be aware that The Citadel has a million times better chance at a national championship than South Carolina. :nod:

Husky Alum
February 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
While I've never seen an AD have that kind of clause written into his/her contract, it's pretty commonplace at the low/mid major level to allow a head coach to keep the money from a "guarantee game". This came into vogue in the late 80s/early 90s when John Calipari had it written into his contract that he could keep 1 or 2 guarantees from OOC play.

He also had attendance clauses for home games, etc.

That's why Coach Cal used to telll people "we'll play anyone, anywhere" - he got to keep the cash - and I believe he didn't keep it all, he used it to help increase his assistant coaches comp. packages.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM
While I've never seen an AD have that kind of clause written into his/her contract, it's pretty commonplace at the low/mid major level to allow a head coach to keep the money from a "guarantee game". This came into vogue in the late 80s/early 90s when John Calipari had it written into his contract that he could keep 1 or 2 guarantees from OOC play.

He also had attendance clauses for home games, etc.

That's why Coach Cal used to telll people "we'll play anyone, anywhere" - he got to keep the cash - and I believe he didn't keep it all, he used it to help increase his assistant coaches comp. packages.

Maybe so, but it gives me another reason to hate coach Calipari! xlolx And you cannot tell me that assistant coaches got ALL that money. Calipari constructed a team of thugs, got paid handsomely for his troubles, and checked himself (and his ego) out of UMass just as the heat on Marcus Camby got too hot. I wouldn't be putting up coach Calipari as a person to be emulated here. :nono:

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Y'all need to let The Citadel worry about The Citadel. Les Robinson is more respected than YOUR AD and it doesn't matter which school in FCS I am talking about. We are a school with 2,000 students and less than 15k living Alumni. We are in the process of finishing our Stadium Project and when we have that done it will be a MIRACLE! We are going to play 2 BCS games a year, except for this season, until we have Gen. Johnson Hagood C.S.A. Stadium completely renovated. This is not news. Not rrying to start a pissing match with you but I've noticed a lot of confederate references in your post. Will the renovated Haggod stadium actually contain C.S.A. as part of it's naming? If so just understand that's VERY disrecptful to any Black athlete that will don a Citadel uniform. You personally may not "Give a Damn" but hopefully those in charge do. Sadly enough it may not really matter as some Blacks will think somehow their doing right by scoring TD's in the name of the "Old South" anyway. Lot's have done such in the past including some folks that I know personally. They rationalize this slap in the face by saying it's the "Souyh's heritage". I oftent wonder what they think of their Great grandparent's heritage is by virtue of Slavery,Rape,Lynchings,etc.. under the "C.S.A." rule. We know that you can't change the past and you're not responsible for what occured but please show a little compassion for others and not celebrate the horrors of the "Antebellium period" at the expense of other citizens.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Johnson Hagood was a Citadel Man, a Confederate General and was Gov of SC when Wade Hampton and the Redshirts took back power when the Yankees FINALLY left S.C in 1877. MOST of the atrocities you speak of occured under the Stars and Stripes, NOT the Stars and Bars. We have many Black Cadets and our starting QB is one of them. He will be comissioned a 2nd Lt in the Army next May.

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I understand the history. My cousin was a Citadel DB Kick returner and track star. His Citadel education did him well. However the C.S.A. is very demeaming to Blacks and hopefully it'll be left out of the naming of the stadium.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I understand the history. My cousin was a Citadel DB Kick returner and track star. His Citadel education did him well. However the C.S.A. is very demeaming to Blacks and hopefully it'll be left out of the naming of the stadium.

I think they will stick with Johnson Hagood Stadium:twocents:

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I think they will stick with Johnson Hagood Stadium:twocents: Coll. Still hoping for that home and home. Games at Dawson and Hagood could be great.:thumbsup:

BigApp
February 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Les is donating the 100K to the Stadium Project.

took the words right out of my keyboard cit! Even though he gets a 'bonus' he gave it right back.

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 05:54 PM
took the words right out of my keyboard cit! Even though he gets a 'bonus' he gave it right back. 1st class move by Robinson. :thumbsup:

Husky Alum
February 28th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Maybe so, but it gives me another reason to hate coach Calipari! xlolx And you cannot tell me that assistant coaches got ALL that money. Calipari constructed a team of thugs, got paid handsomely for his troubles, and checked himself (and his ego) out of UMass just as the heat on Marcus Camby got too hot. I wouldn't be putting up coach Calipari as a person to be emulated here. :nono:

I'm not saying I want to emulate him, but the creativity in his contract is now almost commonplace among Mid-major basketball coaches.

I never said the assistant coaches got all the money. What I said was he used it to help augment their comp packages.

Trust me, I think the guy is a dirtbag as much as anyone - check his track record. However, I was just giving "credit" where it was due.

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Plus, let's be realistic. Can we really put El Cid in the national championship hunt?

We won the regular season national championship and the SoCon in 1992. When was YOUR last one?

appfan2008
April 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
did some digging for this thread didnt you cid 1990!

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Heh. I was looking for something else, but couldn't resist. I mean, who is CCU to knock someone for national championships?

Hello kettle? This is pot. You're black!

rokamortis
April 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM
We won the regular season national championship and the SoCon in 1992. When was YOUR last one?

What is the regular season national championship?

citdog
April 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
What is the regular season national championship?

that is when you finish the regular season ranked #1 in all of FCS football. It's as real as the BCS Championship, or the black one!

lizrdgizrd
April 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Heh. I was looking for something else, but couldn't resist. I mean, who is CCU to knock someone for national championships?

Hello kettle? This is pot. You're black!
Pot, I'll have to take your word for that. I don't see colors.

http://www.playahata.com/images/celebpics/stephen_colbert1.jpg

lizrdgizrd
April 5th, 2007, 04:49 PM
that is when you finish the regular season ranked #1 in all of FCS football. It's as real as the BCS Championship, or the black one!
Wow, I guess we won 2 NCs this year! xeekx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

rokamortis
April 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Ok - so you were ranked number one at the end of the regular season. Does somebody officially declare you the "regular season national champion" or is this something you guys came up with?

MarkCCU
April 5th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Besides your five assumptions, be aware that The Citadel has a million times better chance at a national championship than South Carolina. :nod:

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!

MarkCCU
April 5th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ok - so you were ranked number one at the end of the regular season. Does somebody officially declare you the "regular season national champion" or is this something you guys came up with?

The latter?xconfusedx

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Several years ago, it was a bigger deal than it is now. In 1992, we were actually tied for 1st place with either McNeese St. or some other team down there. As I recall, there was a little bit of a stink about it because that school's AD was one of the voting members for the official rankings. Either way, we went into the playoffs with the #1 seed. We lost in the semi round to YSU. They went on to lose to Marshall, which was the only team to beat us during the regular season.

But, I digress. The question remains, how many #1's do you have? Heck, I'll make it easier.... how many trips to the playoffs do you have? We have quite a few.

MarkCCU
April 5th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Don't listen to him...CCU hasn't gotten any closer to the NC than one playoff game. The real fans know whe can't talk that sort of **** until we've won the NC ourselves..xpeacex

CID1990
April 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Coll. Still hoping for that home and home. Games at Dawson and Hagood could be great.:thumbsup:

I'd travel to Orangeburg for that. Something tells me that after Johnson Hagood is finished we will be seeing more of each other.

rokamortis
April 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
But, I digress. The question remains, how many #1's do you have? Heck, I'll make it easier.... how many trips to the playoffs do you have? We have quite a few.

I can play the numbers game too.

In four years we have just as many national championships as you you've had in about 100.

We've also made the playoffs 25% of the time, how about you guys?

The conversation has digressed ever since the point was turned from a legitimate comment that El Cid has a long way to go before getting to a national championship. So let's get back to the point.

You can talk about what happened last century all you want, but the point the poster was making was about the present and future. Your history is great, I recognize that. But don't be so sensitive that you can't take legitimate criticism.

CID1990
April 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I can play the numbers game too.

In four years we have just as many national championships as you you've had in about 100.

Not the point. A CCU fan was knocking another school's chances at contention for a future national championship. We have been in contention with a number one seed in the playoffs in the recent past. So again, from what pedestal does he speak?

We've also made the playoffs 25% of the time, how about you guys?

Yes, and here's another silly statistic: two years ago you had been to the playoffs 0% of the time.

The conversation has digressed ever since the point was turned from a legitimate comment that El Cid has a long way to go before getting to a national championship. So let's get back to the point.

You can talk about what happened last century all you want, but the point the poster was making was about the present and future. Your history is great, I recognize that. But don't be so sensitive that you can't take legitimate criticism.

I don't feel the need to take 'criticism' about any school's chances of making the playoffs, especially when that 'criticism' is not given with supporting evidence and is obviously just an effort to be cute.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Everything seems fine with the Citadel.

And Ralph, I don't think the CCU's post was nutty. Some kids really may prefer to play in front of big crowds, but not get the chance. 3 games FBS and the rest FCS, all starting, is still better than bench warming for some big name school. I'm sure many schools would compete at that level if they could afford it. Hell, we all compete for the same championship in basketball every year!

Anyway, I have an accounting question regarding the bonus. I would hate to see 50% given to the gov't as happens when a person normally realizes a bonus. Usually I give my money to my 401(k) to avoid this taxation issue. Does the fact that he is donating the bonus to this project allow the money to be tax-free or taxed at least at a lesser rate?

Just seems kind of stupid if after all the school gets the money back. Would have been better for the school to straight out finance 100K extra worth of the stadium expense.

But still, a VERY classy move indeed! xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
April 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
One FBS school, no problem, in fact, it seems that the committee tends to favor a loss to a FBS school than other schools (SOS kind of thing). But more than one and your taking a big risk at minimizing your chances to get to the required 7 Div-I wins (assuming your school is not playing the Sunbelt, Northwestern, Colorado or Duke! :D ).

With the strength of the SoCon (I think GSU will improve this year), it could be a while before the Citadel returns to the playoffs despite having an excellent team.

citdog
April 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
We are going this year!