PDA

View Full Version : Rice to Play Nicholls St

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Glad to see the Owls playing a regional FCS foe, this time in the form of Nicholls St. Rice used to run the option, so this is a great foe for them and hopefully, a manageable game for Nicholls to stay competitive.

Coach David Bailiff, formerly of Texas State - San Marcos has quite a bit of experience with Nicholls St, a team his school would battle for the paddle in SLC play...

GeauxColonels
February 27th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Interesting....where did you get the info from TT?

UNHWildCats
February 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM
this game has been m,entioned about 2 weeks ago.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
this game has been m,entioned about 2 weeks ago.

I brought it up as a rumor...I'm a big Rice fan and I've been following discussion on their board related to an FCS opponent...

Nicholls St always is the last in the SLC to announce their schedule. Glad it came through when Rice announced the schedule...

February 28th, 2007, 11:47 AM
hey tt, i wonder did bailiff want to play them or did nicholls see a chance to knock off a 1A team. bailiff's record is not to good against coach thomas at nicholls st. got a chance to watch that game on tv this past year and the difference in that game was coaching.

question: with all the changes in the slc this year do you see coach stoker or coach thomas leaving for other jobs in the near future since they have been around the slc for along time and are good coaches?

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
hey tt, i wonder did bailiff want to play them or did nicholls see a chance to knock off a 1A team. bailiff's record is not to good against coach thomas at nicholls st. got a chance to watch that game on tv this past year and the difference in that game was coaching.

This was a pre-Bailiff move. Kinda funny how things worked out, but Bailiff was not involved in this one. This was done by the Athletic Director before Bailiff came on board...

question: with all the changes in the slc this year do you see coach stoker or coach thomas leaving for other jobs in the near future since they have been around the slc for along time and are good coaches?

Stoker keeps playing those tough schedules as does Thomas because of the financial situations in Louisiana. Thomas is a great coach and obviously Nicholls St pays less than anyone. Would not surprise me if he were to move on to a FBS coordinator position or another FCS job...

February 28th, 2007, 03:39 PM
tt, not to knock coach bailiff but these two guys seem to be as good a coach if not better. do you see them moving to mid major 1A school especially if either one of them wins the conference this year? not sure how many coach stoker has won but i think it is 2.....not sure? coach thomas has won one in three years and i think the first in nicholls history...not sure about that either? Seems like they would be a hot item for the next level?

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM
tt, not to knock coach bailiff but these two guys seem to be as good a coach if not better. do you see them moving to mid major 1A school especially if either one of them wins the conference this year? not sure how many coach stoker has won but i think it is 2.....not sure? coach thomas has won one in three years and i think the first in nicholls history...not sure about that either? Seems like they would be a hot item for the next level?

Depends who you ask... ;)

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Another Nicholls St game announced...

September 15th @ Memphis...

http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022607aab.html

GeauxColonels
February 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM
TT, can you give me a link about the Rice game?

Personally, I don't see Coach Thomas going anywhere for a while. It's true that Nicholls State has one of the smallest - if not THE smallest - athletic budget in the league, but I don't see many FBS schools chomping at the bit to get Thomas. There are MANY good coaches out there that will do well as coordinators. He's got a chance to build a program the way he wants to do it.

TexasTerror
February 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM
TT, can you give me a link about the Rice game?

http://www.fansonly.com/schools/rice/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022607aaf.html

March 1st, 2007, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=GeauxColonels] but I don't see many FBS schools chomping at the bit

thats what i thought about the other coaches in the league, but you see where they have gone. i hope they (stoker,thomas) stay a while because the league needs the coaches that have been in the league for while and that have been successfull.

tt, nicholls against memphis? the AD's in SLC just keep doing all they can to keep our teams out of the playoffs. maybe one of our teams can knock off one of the big boys this year. who and how many does the SLC play up this year?

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
tt, nicholls against memphis? the AD's in SLC just keep doing all they can to keep our teams out of the playoffs. maybe one of our teams can knock off one of the big boys this year. who and how many does the SLC play up this year?

Again...do I need to bring up Louisiana and the state of affairs there? Nicholls is in worse shape of them all considering what kind of shape they were in pre-Katrina and still are as it relates to their athletic department...

View SLC schedules on KatFans.com...

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3851

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM
is it bad that i hope nicholls kicks the tar out of rice (and bailiff)?

sorry...still a bit bitter. :-)

March 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
tt, thanks for the schedules! i hope you never quit making post, i enjoy being able to keep up eventhough i dont post to much.

since we are talking about new coaches how do SHSU folks feel about Lucas being at Southeastern. will that help SLU in playing you all or getting players from your area?

TexasTerror
March 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
tt, thanks for the schedules! i hope you never quit making post, i enjoy being able to keep up eventhough i dont post to much.

No problem...it's our mutual fascination with the SLC!

since we are talking about new coaches how do SHSU folks feel about Lucas being at Southeastern. will that help SLU in playing you all or getting players from your area?

Lucas has been at SELA for awhile now. SHSU has yet to lose to SELA since Lucas has been there (or ever since SELA returned to the gridiron). I think Lucas will emotionally be 'up' for the game, but I don't think it makes a difference. Lucas was at SHSU for the Randleman years. We're in the Whitten Era. Only coach that has stayed is the OC, James Ferguson and even then, SHSU has changed the offense.

SELA is in a great recruiting spot. They're so close to MS, that they can recruit well in that state, but also the hotbed of Louisiana. They'll come to Texas, but I don't expect them to be competing against the Kats at every turn. They only had one player in their class from Texas and he was "recruited by Rice, Army, Navy, SMU and North Texas." No mention of SHSU. I don't think it impacts us anymore than anything else...

GeauxColonels
March 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=GeauxColonels] but I don't see many FBS schools chomping at the bit

thats what i thought about the other coaches in the league, but you see where they have gone. i hope they (stoker,thomas) stay a while because the league needs the coaches that have been in the league for while and that have been successfull.

Personally, I don't think that these FBS games are killing the Colonels' chance of getting into the playoffs. In my opinion, the only way Nicholls State will make the playoffs, this year or any other in the near future, would be to win the SLC auto-bid like in 2005. I would rather play Rice, Memphis, Louisiana Tech and Nebraska than Assumption College and Southern Arkansas. At least we get a payout for playing the FBS teams.