PDA

View Full Version : What team would you want to be a fan of...

GtFllsGriz
July 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM
I have way too much time on my hands this week.

What other team would you like to be a fan of if you could not be a fan of your team and why? I would never have been able to answer this question without AGS...thanks again AGS.

My pick would be McNeese St. I love their downhome approach to hospitality, homegrown players, loyal but respective fans, humble in victory, not many excuses in losses and lastly, you can't go wrong with a "Cowboy".

GSUAlumniEagle
July 21st, 2005, 11:25 AM
Delaware

They've got all the tradition that GSU has

Eagle_77
July 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM
I would have to say Montana. Although I would not like the weather I would love the crowd and they are the closest thing that I would be use to.

DuckDuckGriz
July 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
MaaaacNeeeeeeeesse

AgentOrange
July 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Montana. Can't imagine another I-AA stadium that brings the intensity as your crew does. Even if you don't have lights.

ChickenMan
July 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Montana... great stadium... outstanding fan support and the open spaces of Big Sky country..

DuckDuckGriz
July 21st, 2005, 11:33 AM
I would have to say Montana. Although I would not like the weather I would love the crowd and they are the closest thing that I would be use to.

Don't be fooled over the weather. Missoula is actually relatively mild compared to other places in the north. During the September and October games the weather is very warm -- kind of hot, but not at all intensely hot and unbearable like what you see in Statesboro and places like Huntsville, Texas.

In late October games are a little cooler, in the 40s-50s range. Sun is almost always out.

In November it does get chilly, but not much snow. Again temps are usually 30s-50s. The Griz-Cat game was sunny in the 50s and the semis were in the 50s too.

The coldest I've ever been was Bozeman, Montana in 2003. The temperature was 4, countem 4 degrees. I did not warm up for a week after. Got very sick.

elkmcc
July 21st, 2005, 11:44 AM
I'll second the McCowboys. Great Fans, humble and respectful. All said though I love any I-AA football and will watch any game I can whenever I can. I honestly believe I-AA players do it with more heart.

Proud Griz Man
July 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM
The coldest I've ever been was Bozeman, Montana in 2003. The temperature was 4, countem 4 degrees. I did not warm up for a week after. Got very sick.

Back around February 1989 I flew in to Bozeman (minus 30 degrees Faren.) from Washington DC (50 degrees above) to watch Griz-Cat BB game. There was a dip in the jet stream and a brutal cold front descended from Canada. While socializing we left the vehicle running (locked door) outside the Rocking R Bar and Crystal, otherwise the motor would freeze solid. Bozeman can get cold. :eek:

I respect the A-10 teams, McNeese, Sam Houston St., Furman, GA Southern, Northern Iowa, NoDak St. etc. but I would consider being a fan of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. That program is improving, they are improving their football facility, and the town is pretty cool. :D
Check out this bar:
http://www.motherstavern.com/
Check out this stadium remodeling drawing:
http://www.calpolymustangs.com/facilities/Images/finalrendering.jpg

saint0917
July 21st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Montana, great fan support, the stadium looks full every Saturday, unlike some teams (Umass). From the pictures I've seen, it looks like a great place to play football.

MR. CHICKEN
July 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM
MONTANA FO' DERE STADIUM....AN' CROWD!

GEORGIA SOUTHERN....FO' DERE UNIQUE OFFENSE!

BRRAAAWWWWKKKKK!

saint0917
July 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
GEORGIA SOUTHERN....FO' DERE UNIQUE OFFENSE!

I wouldn't call GSU offense unique, all they do is run the ball 95% of the time, that's not unique that just means thay don't have anyone who knows how to throw the ball. :D :p

Grizo406
July 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
From my perspective, I'd have to say Delaware, GSU, McNeese, or UNI. Not because of their respective history of winning, and tradition, but because of some of their fans that I've met.

I can only imagine not being a Griz fan long enough to answer this question, and it's already given me a headache!

eaglefan452
July 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM
I would have to say Montana. McNeese St. and Delaware would be close second, but I would love to be a fan of a team whose game every saturday would have the attention of the whole state.

exbearkat
July 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM
Gotta go with Montana. I have been to A LOT of big-time I-A stadiums over the years, and many can't compete with the overall game-day atmosphere that Washington/Griz possesses. :bow:

GreatAppSt
July 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I could be a Delaware fan I guess I'll get my chance this fall. But don't expect a true conversion. :D

JMU Duke Dog
July 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
William & Mary

My younger brother is one of those in the Tribe, and the rest of my family pulls for W&M except for when they try to be neutral when JMU and W&M play each other. If I was not part of the JMU Dukes then I would probably pull for the W&M Tribe; however, we are big rivals and very competitive so I find it difficult to cheer too much for W&M. Also, I feel less inclined after seeing how unsportsmanlike the W&M fans (students and old alumni) were towards the JMU fans during the national semifinal game this past December.

Sam_Kats
July 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'll go with the Griz. Amazing stadium & fans! Couldn't imagine being the BEST SHOW IN TOWN. It's hard to compete with the Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders, Bears, Cougars, etc.

Great program they have there in Missoula!

GrizFoo
July 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Probably GSU, I love their option O, though wouldn't want to see the Griz running the option as a base O. McNeese up there too, good fans, tailgating, and food, though this can probably be said about a lot of I-AA teams.

BBB
July 21st, 2005, 02:16 PM
Illionis State.

I went there in 98 on a exchange program and had a BLAST! Good football climate. :D

P.S. I love their fight song if any Redbird can post it I appreciate it!

89Hen
July 21st, 2005, 02:42 PM
I'd say G'town if we had to stick with reality since they are so close. Picking anyone I may have to go with AppSt. I love the mountains, but I don't think I'm crunchy enough to be a Big Sky guy.

McNeeserocket
July 21st, 2005, 02:43 PM
What other team would you like to be a fan of if you could not be a fan of your team and why?

My pick would be McNeese St. I love their downhome approach to hospitality, homegrown players, loyal but respective fans, humble in victory, not many excuses in losses and lastly, you can't go wrong with a "Cowboy."

You know it is strange how most Cowboy Fans would say the same about Montana. Cowboy Fans have the utmost respect and appreciation for Montana Football and their fans. McNeese fans like a clean hard fought game surrounded by respectful friendly fans and Montana has never disappointed us with our games or their fans. We like to party before and after the game whether we win or lose and expect other teams' fans to feel the same way.

McNeese and Montana have only played each other 5 times. Three of those games were in the playoffs where the stakes are high (must win to move on). In those playoff games, the game winning points were less than 5 pts. apart and each game went down to the wire. Real Barnburners!!!!

Of course, McNeese knows Montana has a solid program and a great fan base. McNeese would like to build on its program and become more like Montana.

OL FU
July 21st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Since I am hopelessly enamored with small private institutions I would have to pick Cal Poly, wait I mean Wofford or the most of the Patriot League.

GtFllsGriz
July 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Mrocket, you said it perfectly, back at ya. I was also impressed with SHSU's fans and attitude. Are all of the teams in your conference like that? haha, I know the answer to that, no they aren't.

Brent
July 21st, 2005, 03:17 PM
Montana...no doubt

eaglesrthe1
July 21st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Montana, or McNeese.

dungeonjoe
July 21st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Furman

NoCoDanny
July 21st, 2005, 03:34 PM
Nobody likes the underdog? How about Southern Utah? They are even thought worse of than us.

Sam_Kats
July 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM
GtFllsGriz:

Thanks for the compliment. We enjoyed having you guys & we also enjoy coming to Wa-Griz Stadium. What a venue!! This is why I wish our coaches would continue this home & home every 3 years or so. In Texas, football is something we take pride in. I know the same goes for Louisiana too.

You guys are welcome back to Huntsville anytime.

putter
July 21st, 2005, 03:55 PM
Delaware or McNeese because of their support. McNeese my get the edge as I have been there and it is hard to beat their food!!!!!!

bison95
July 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
I love all football, espically I-AA. I am a BISON fan period. At this point we have no real rival, or hated team because of our recent move up. I would go see any other team and be a fan of the team whose fans filled me with the most beer food and hospitality. From the AGS I am a fan of all I-AA schools because I now know they all have great fans. In short I love you guys :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Seriously, Without Question GSU. The only I-AA school with the tradaton and dominance at this level(Reminds me of the BISON DII years). :D

Cocky
July 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Austin Peay

I could then yell: Let's go Peay and nobody can lick our Cocks

WCU LawCat
July 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
Tradition
Campus
Incomming football class SAT average around 1100
Stadium
Cool Mascot / Horse
Furman...Good school

MR. CHICKEN
July 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
I wouldn't call GSU offense unique, all they do is run the ball 95% of the time, that's not unique that just means thay don't have anyone who knows how to throw the ball. :D :p

SOMEHOW..WHEN AH POSTED DAT STATEMENT..AH KNEW ONE O' YOU LAPPERS WOULD CALL ME OUT...SO HERE IS MY DEFENSE.....GSU RUNS DA OPTION LIKE NO OTHERAH.....ALTHOUGH DERE ARE UH FEW TEAMS DAT HAVE VERSIONS O' DIS SYSTEM...(RHODEY, WOFFORD, BUCKNELL, AN' ONE O' DUH SOUTHLANDERS)....NOBODY DOES IT LIKE SOUTHERN.......IT WAS DUH DELAWARE WING-T OFFENSE......DAT AS UH YOUNGIN'....GOT DUH CHICKEN INTA FOOTBALL FANATIC STATUS.....WHIFF MIS-DIRECTION....YOU COULD HARDLY FOLLOW DUH PIGGY.....DIS IS WHAT I TOTALLY ENJOY WHEN AH GET TA SEE DEM EAGLES ON TV.....OR UPON UH RARE VISIT TA TUBBY FIELD!.......AH KNOW DEY RUN IT PILGRIM.....IT'S HOW DEY RUN IT!...DAT'S UNIQUE..............BRAWK!

GaSouthern
July 22nd, 2005, 06:31 AM
Montana is my pick with Del behind them

saint0917
July 22nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
SOMEHOW..WHEN AH POSTED DAT STATEMENT..AH KNEW ONE O' YOU LAPPERS WOULD CALL ME OUT...SO HERE IS MY DEFENSE.....GSU RUNS DA OPTION LIKE NO OTHERAH.

No question nobody runs the option like GSU, it's just not very unique. :p

colgate13
July 22nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Furman - everytime I learn something new about them I'm impressed more. I can't wait for our home and home series.

Golden Eagle
July 22nd, 2005, 09:56 AM
Montana, they seem to have a great deal better football atmosphere up there than most I-A schools do.

CosmoVixen24
July 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM
I would want to be a Lehigh fan.

DemiGS
July 22nd, 2005, 12:47 PM

That’s pretty ignorant. I hope no one actually thinks that GSU 'settles' for running the ball because we just can't seem to find anyone that could be a traditional throwing QB. Believe it or not, the GSU option is by choice and has been working out well for us for a long time now.

Proud Griz Man
July 22nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
That’s pretty ignorant. I hope no one actually thinks that GSU 'settles' for running the ball because we just can't seem to find anyone that could be a traditional throwing QB. Believe it or not, the GSU option is by choice and has been working out well for us for a long time now.

He is joking with ya Demi. (Note the big smiley face)

saint0917
July 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM

I know that GSU runs by choice, I was just kidding.

62GRIZ
July 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Have to go with the McCowboys! They have very dedicated fans who know how to have a good time and don't mind sharing it with the opposition. Sam Houston has good fans too, but their tailgates are much smaller and tamer. I can't speak for Delaware or Georgia Southern as I haven't been to either - YET!

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
Hail, men of Fordham, hail!! I would join RamRay and JoltinJoe in rooting for the Rams.

JoltinJoe
July 22nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hail, men of Fordham, hail!! I would join RamRay and JoltinJoe in rooting for the Rams.

Go...gate, your support and genuine affection for our program, as you know, is greatly appreciated.

It's great that both you and Gate13 had family members who played for the Rams during their glory years.

You both are welcome and classy contributors to our forum. You guys are why it is easy for us to root for Colgate 10 weeks ;) a year.

gokats85
July 22nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
Montana. Furman comes in a close second.

colgate13
July 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM
You both are welcome and classy contributors to our forum. You guys are why it is easy for us to root for Colgate 10 weeks ;) a year.

Thanks - we try to make that up to 15 weeks whenever we can. :cool:

Montana_Mojo
July 22nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
I'm impressed and find it flattering all of the props Montana football is getting in here.

There are quite a few 1-AA programs that I find fascinating. If I had to choose another one, it would have to be between Delaware, McNeese, Appy State, and Lehigh.

I dig the mountain settings and fan support of Appy State and Lehigh. Lake Charles is the down south version of Missoula with a festive football atmosphere and great fan support--only the food is better down there. Delaware has the big stadium, great fan support, and a program rich in history and tradition.

JohnStOnge
July 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
Georgia Southern. Some of the reasons are:

1) I love the option offense. I like it when teams like Georgia Southern show that you don't have to be pass oriented to win. As an aside, I'm very disappointed that Nebraska...which went for 42 straight seasons without a losing record...finishing in the top 25 on 41 occassions...with a run oriented offense succumbed to the misguided pressure to change immediately after another 10 win season (and immediately had their worst season since 1961).

2) I lived in South Georgia (Glynn County) 1985-1989 when Georgia Southern emerged as the dominant program in I-AA under Erk Russel. The first I-AA playoff game I ever attended was at Statesboro and it was a great experience.

3) They are the most successful I-AA program in terms of the bottom line goal everyone in the potential playoff field shoots for.

4) I love their uniform. I like simplicity in uniforms. Georgia Southern has no-frill, all-business attire.

Cocky
July 23rd, 2005, 08:36 AM
I can't believe no one wants to be a Gamecock.

asufan87
July 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Elon. Just kidding.

kats89
July 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM
I can't believe no one wants to be a Gamecock.

It would be hard for me to cheer for a team called the GameCOCKS. :nod:

Seriously though, I hated to see Jacksonville St leave the SLC.

mainejeff
July 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
1. Montana (by a mile)
2. McNeese
3. Northern Iowa
4. Lehigh
5. North Dakota State

If I had to pick a conference team.....

UNH, Villanova, or JMU :eek:

ngineer
July 23rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
I'd probably be rooting for Furman. There is a lot of similarity in the schools from what I've read. Our one recent meeting in the 2001 season generated a lot of mutual respect. Runner-up would be Delaware. I was recruited there, I had an uncle who played for The Admiral, and a number of my relatives are UD alums.
I always cheer for my PL brethern when they are OOC (even Lafayette!)

blur2005
July 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
If I wasn't a Dukes fan, I'd probably stay in the A-10 with Delaware. Gotta love the classic helmets and their rabid fans. Montana would be a close second. I just hope one day this thread will come up again and JMU will be a common answer.

GrizzlyEdd
July 23rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Wow, that is a tough pick. I have total respect for a lot of the eastern teams and know some of the folk... well kind of. But, I would say that it would have to be a tie between McNeese and Sam Houston State... McNeese and Montana have been somewhat connected at the hip for years. I remember watching the game in 1995 where I think it was Marshall that ended McNeese's season. When the camera was panning around the stadium, there was a Cowboy fan holding up a sign that said "GO MONTANA." Their team and fans are A-1... now having said that, I have not had the fortune to meet any Cowboy fans... I have met several BearKat fans here in Missoula. They are just the greatest. They are easy to walk up to and have a chat and are quite gracious. I have chatted at half time with quite a few of them. Their team last year kicked our arse but ya just can't blame the fans for that and we got back at them later:D . I always look forward to Cowboy and BearKat games... special teams and fans....:nod:

GannonFan
July 23rd, 2005, 10:03 PM
1. Montana (by a mile)
2. McNeese
3. Northern Iowa
4. Lehigh
5. North Dakota State

If I had to pick a conference team.....

UNH, Villanova, or JMU :eek:

It of course goes without saying, that MJ secretly desires to be a member of the Blue Hen Nation - maybe if therapy is successful in a few years he'll be able to publicy admit it. :p

89Hen
July 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM
MJ secretly desires to be a member of the Blue Hen Nation
Not much of a secret there.

RadMann
July 24th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I think it would depend on where I live. Since I live in the Lehigh Valley area, I could see rooting for Lehigh if UD was out of the equation (although the possibility of supporting Lehigh that is hard to admit, maybe Lafayette instead since my dad went there). In terms of just programs which I respect for their dedication to their program and their tradition, then it would be GSU or Montana or one or two others.

NEZ
July 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I would have to say GSU, great gameday atmosphere tailgating like we have at UD.

If I picked in conference it would be between JMU and William & Mary

catbob
July 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Probably GSU, about as big time as it gets it IAA. Of course there are the Griz too, but I could never be a full-fledged fan.

PhantomCAT
July 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Don't be fooled over the weather. Missoula is actually relatively mild compared to other places in the north. During the September and October games the weather is very warm -- kind of hot, but not at all intensely hot and unbearable like what you see in Statesboro and places like Huntsville, Texas.

In late October games are a little cooler, in the 40s-50s range. Sun is almost always out.

In November it does get chilly, but not much snow. Again temps are usually 30s-50s. The Griz-Cat game was sunny in the 50s and the semis were in the 50s too.

I think you were sick from the outcome!! :deadhorse

Lapper
July 24th, 2005, 07:21 PM
HOYA SAXA!!! Home of the Southern Catholics :nod:

pete4256
July 24th, 2005, 07:34 PM
If I weren't a GSU fan (and perhaps if I weren't a fat, white redneck), I could be a fan of FAMU.

They have cool uniforms, a great tradition, great support, a really great band, and excellent uniforms. Oh, and a pretty cool nickname.

Plus, on this board I could stand in pride and not feel insecure like the SU and Grambling fans do (NC 1978!).

If only they ran the spread option (didn't they used to?).

bonarae
July 24th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Montana... for so many reasons I cannot count them all...

bkrownd
July 25th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I like anybody who's running triple option, power-I, etc. :)

bkrownd
July 25th, 2005, 01:58 AM
1) I love the option offense. I like it when teams like Georgia Southern show that you don't have to be pass oriented to win. As an aside, I'm very disappointed that Nebraska...which went for 42 straight seasons without a losing record...finishing in the top 25 on 41 occassions...with a run oriented offense succumbed to the misguided pressure to change immediately after another 10 win season (and immediately had their worst season since 1961).

I-A is all about money, recruiting and the NFL these days, which is why I don't care much about it anymore. The top recruits all want to be "NFL material", and the change at NU was mostly because the top recruits weren't coming to Lincoln. It's gotten so bad that many people are more interested in recruiting than in the actual games. :bang:

The Gadfly
July 25th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Princeton or Montana

henfan
July 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM
1) McNeese, 2) Montana, 3) YSU and then the two GSUs (Tigers and Eagles), JMU or App State.

SoCon48
July 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM
If I was a Delaware resident, it would definitely be "THE" University of Delaware. Same if I lived in Montana. :cool: New Jersey--Rutg...naah, still Delaware.
Living in any other state would be tougher decision.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2005, 01:18 PM
I-A is all about money, recruiting and the NFL these days, which is why I don't care much about it anymore. The top recruits all want to be "NFL material", and the change at NU was mostly because the top recruits weren't coming to Lincoln. It's gotten so bad that many people are more interested in recruiting than in the actual games. :bang:

I agree. I've had conversations about that in LSU land. The thing is, though...if what you're interested in is winning you don't necessarily need NFL material to run the option offense because it's a different thing. Tommy Frazier wasn't an "NFL material" quarterback but he sure as heck was as dominant a player at the quarterback position as you're going to get in college because he was suited to what they were doing.

A big time team that runs the option is going to have its pick of the best option type players. Quarterback is obvious but the option requires a different kind of offensive lineman too. Players that might not do well in a pro style offense can excell.

I know you're right, but it amazes me that anybody would care how many players end up in the NFL as long as the program is winning...which I think Nebraska did consistently for the longest period in modern history by sticking to what it was doing...until last year.

I really believe Nebraska could've hired Paul Johnson from Navy and returned to being a consistent national championship contender in no time. Instead, they picked a failed NFL head coach to come in and do what everybody else is already doing and run an offense every defense routinely sees.

Anovafan
July 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
If I had to pick, I would go with Lehigh, then Colgate, then Wofford, then Furman. I respect the quality academics of each school and think each school faces many of the same difficulties that Nova does in fielding a competitive team year in and year out.