Chattanooga

The Citadel

Wofford

Mercer

ETSU

VMI

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Did you just pull those out of a hat or have some reasoning behind them?

I do not necessarily quibble with your first two. Samford is the team I have slated for the top spot, though I still have a hard time fully buying in on the Bulldogs. They lose some talented players on a resurgent defense from this year, and I'm not sure can afford to go back to the up and back style trying to score 40+ points a game to win. Not in this league. Not in 2018. They are going to need a defense.

Furman returns virtually everyone and needs to figure out who is under center. I think the Paladins could have the SoCon's top defense with 20 returning players on the two-deep and the addition of three talented transfers on that side of the ball.

Realistically, I feel comfortable having VMI at the bottom and ETSU above them. The Bucs are talented, but I am not quite ready to count on them to show up and win games week in and week out. They will undoubtedly knock off a few teams and have perhaps as much to say about who wins the SoCon as anyone.

Some teams have a few more question marks than others. I think right now Samford, Furman, and WCU are more "complete" teams on both sides of the ball top to bottom. The next echelon of UTC, Citadel, Wofford, and Mercer are all talented enough to win the conference but, in my view, have a few more question marks going into 2018.

None of that takes away from my general thought that 2018 will be the strongest SoCon we've seen in a number of years.

SU DOG
March 13th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I hope the banker is totally correct, but PaladinFan makes some valid points. Samford must replace some really good ones on defense, especially at linebacker. Some younger guys will have to step-up. There is some returning talent there, and true Fr. will not have to be depended on. Depth at this position, however, is a big concern that I have. Otherwise, I'm thinking that there will be little, if any, drop off. The secondary should be very good, and the defensive line likewise. We will also miss one of the best punters in the nation.

I certainly hope that, with the entire O-Line returning, we will see a far better running game. There were times last year when our rushing game showed some signs of improving, but it was still insufficient. Last season we started 2 Fr. 2 Soph, and a Junior on one of the better O-Lines that we've fielded in some time, IMO. These are very talented guys, and some pretty good RBs also return, so I see no reason why we can't supplement a terrific passing attack with some rushing threat this year.

I have no real reason why, but I think UTC might be the surprise team for this year. I think the 4-4 prediction will be way too low for the Mocs. The Paladins will be tough, but the QB spot is so critical that I'm not convinced yet. Also, I may be wrong, but I thought their D-Line was somewhat suspect last season. With what returns, however, FU will be a dangerous team for sure.

It should be an exciting year for the SoCon. Somehow, I have a gut feeling that this will be a topsy-turvy upset filled season.

JSUSoutherner
March 13th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Does Furman bring back their QB?

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Does Furman bring back their QB?

Negative.

Furman has potentially four options.

1. Harris Roberts, a redshirt senior and career backup behind Reese Hannon and PJ Blazejowski. In my opinion, Roberts has a better arm than Blazejowski, but he's a big fella (6'4 210) and is not nearly as nimble. He saw the field a good bit this season as Hendrix would often yank Blazejowski as soon as the game was in hand. He ran a wing-t in high school, and while not a scat runner, still has plenty of giddyup.

2. JeMar Lincoln, a redshirt freshman. Lincoln is a whale of an athlete out of a big south Georgia program. He was the 3rd stringer this season, but was in uniform pretty much every game signaling in plays from the sideline. He's a better runner than Roberts, and has a great downfield arm, but has to show the accuracy necessary to run Furman's offense.

3. Hamp Sisson, incoming true freshman out of Birmingham. Easily one of the most polished QBs I've seen Furman recruit in a long time. Comes out of big Mountain Brook program and has a game that looks a lot like Blazejowski.

4. Darren Grainger, incoming true freshman out of Conway, SC. Grainger is the wildcard. He's built like a bigger version of Tyrie Adams (6'4) Extremely athletic, but looks to have come out of a high school program that didn't have a particularly sophisticated passing offense. He has a cannon of an arm, though I am not sure whether he's had to do a lot of finesse type passes. I expect he will be a little behind the curve in terms of the offense, but also has the athletic ability to force his way on the field.

Clay Hendrix has already said he has not preconceived plans for redshirting players. Both Roberts and Lincoln were impressive during spring practice. He looks like he will give Sisson and Grainger the opportunity to see the field as well, though I expect they will be behind the other two.

JSUSoutherner
March 13th, 2018, 12:36 PM
1. Samford
2. Furman
3. WCU
4. UTC
5. Wofford
6. Mercer
7. El Cid
8. ETSU
9. VMI

The Cats
March 13th, 2018, 02:00 PM
I think Western will again be fine on the offensive side of the ball, but I have concerns about the defense again this season. The Cats are replacing 8 starters on defense and 2 assistant coaches, that's a pretty big bump in the road for the DC to overcome. Right now, I'm looking at the middle of the pack, unless some redshirt freshmen really step up. We picked up some help in the recruiting class, but you never know about freshmen until the games start.

PaladinFan
March 13th, 2018, 03:12 PM
I think Western will again be fine on the offensive side of the ball, but I have concerns about the defense again this season. The Cats are replacing 8 starters on defense and 2 assistant coaches, that's a pretty big bump in the road for the DC to overcome. Right now, I'm looking at the middle of the pack, unless some redshirt freshmen really step up. We picked up some help in the recruiting class, but you never know about freshmen until the games start.

The Cats lost to all four of the top SoCon scoring offenses they saw last season (Samford, Furman, Wofford, and Mercer). Each of those games with the exception of the Furman contest was a shootout.

I agree with you, WCU is going to have to find a way to get some stops on defense. They can score against pretty much everyone, but their issue appears to be keeping the better offenses off the board.

In years past, some SoCon teams have managed to get by just bludgeoning everyone to death of offense. I'm not sure that's going to work this year. The league is going to be deep, and there will be some games where everyone is going to have to lean on their defense to get a win.

SU DOG
March 13th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Three of those four unfortunately. :(

The Cats
March 13th, 2018, 05:58 PM
The Cats lost to all four of the top SoCon scoring offenses they saw last season (Samford, Furman, Wofford, and Mercer). Each of those games with the exception of the Furman contest was a shootout.

maybe your memory is a little faulty, or you were thinking of a different team..... I see no shootouts in those 4 games.

2017-18 season

Western Carolina 38 - Samford 34
Western Carolina 6 - Furman 28
Western Carolina 28 - Wofford 35 (OT)
Western Carolina 33 - Mercer 35

You did, however, get one thing right, we lost 3 of the games, so what's a little win over Samford count for anyway?

PaladinFan
March 14th, 2018, 03:30 AM
Right. My bad. Doesn’t change my essential point, though. WCU struggled keeping good teams out of the endzone.

Smitty
March 16th, 2018, 07:46 AM

I am hoping that since we have the same DC for the first time in a while (3 coaches in 4 years or something crazy?) our defense will be better. It is hard to be good when the defense keeps changing hands...

youcanbankit
March 17th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I can see Furman or Western Carolina winning the SoCon this year. Both have great offenses, I think the stability with all returning starters on offense wins it this year for Samford. The Samford defense and special teams are questionable, just like last year. Samford lost key interior defensive linemen, linebackers and cover corners that must be replaced.

I am very interested in ETSU and Randy Sanders. Can he make an immediate impact in the short period he has been at the helm? I think ETSU could easily be 4-4 as well. Tom Arth and the UTC Mocs could return to be 5-6 game winner this year. IMO he has the talent. These two guys will continue to recruit well in Tennessee which will impact Samford and WCU the most. It is already showing up in this years recruiting.

Kennesaw and Georgia State are impacting Samford and Mercer recruiting as well. Again reflecting this year. It is going to be fun year (2018) or two (2019)to watch the SoCon before the graduations and recruiting losses begin to show up. Predicting another 3-4 teams making the playoffs both years.

youcanbankit
March 17th, 2018, 10:13 AM
1. Samford
2. Furman
3. WCU
4. UTC
5. Wofford
6. Mercer
7. El Cid
8. ETSU
9. VMI

I agree JSU...Could easily be the case. Interesting moving El Cid that far down. Definitely needs to be a bounce back year for them. I did not hear much hype about their recruiting this year either.

JSUSoutherner
March 17th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I agree JSU...Could easily be the case. Interesting moving El Cid that far down. Definitely needs to be a bounce back year for them. I did not hear much hype about their recruiting this year either.

It’s not that I think El Cid is going to be bad or anything.

I’m splitting the SoCon into four sections:

The Front Runners: 8-9+ wins likely
1.) Samford
2.) Furman

The Maybes: 7+ wins possible
3-7

The Meh: 4 wins is par
ETSU

The Nope: Maybe you’d be more suited in the Patriot League.
VMI

youcanbankit
March 17th, 2018, 12:10 PM
It’s not that I think El Cid is going to be bad or anything.

I’m splitting the SoCon into four sections:

The Front Runners: 8-9+ wins likely
1.) Samford
2.) Furman

The Maybes: 7+ wins possible
3-7

The Meh: 4 wins is par
ETSU

The Nope: Maybe you’d be more suited in the Patriot League.
VMI

Gotcha. Makes sense. I may need to revisit my 3-4 teams making the playoffs, the more we look at this it appears the strength of the SoCon may not be rising but leveling. IMO I think the SoCon is strong through 2019.

ElCid
March 17th, 2018, 10:32 PM

We did real well recruiting. Also veteran QB back who has many starts (and actually a better passer than previous starter), running backs galore, good rcvrs (blockers) back as well. Question marks? OLine. Will they be better? Defense? Lost a lot, especially some key LBs. Hopefully we were deep enough. The recruits? Maybe a few can make an immediate impact. Long term, we got some seriously good ones. The whole season will ride on how well our Oline improved. Heard some good thing in spring camp, but who knows.

CID1990
March 18th, 2018, 03:40 AM
Our OL is our only potential weakness.

Our recruiting went very well, especially at RB.

If the OL has jelled we will win 2-3 more games than we did last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youcanbankit
March 18th, 2018, 08:54 AM
We did real well recruiting. Also veteran QB back who has many starts (and actually a better passer than previous starter), running backs galore, good rcvrs (blockers) back as well. Question marks? OLine. Will they be better? Defense? Lost a lot, especially some key LBs. Hopefully we were deep enough. The recruits? Maybe a few can make an immediate impact. Long term, we got some seriously good ones. The whole season will ride on how well our Oline improved. Heard some good thing in spring camp, but who knows.

Good to hear the recruiting year was strong. Expect The Citadel to be a rebuilding this year with a lot of competition at each position. Always talented and tough in their approach!

PaladinFan
March 19th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Good to hear the recruiting year was strong. Expect The Citadel to be a rebuilding this year with a lot of competition at each position. Always talented and tough in their approach!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQmfZ1Fq60&t=157s

Tough like the soft feathery belly of a baby duck.

ElCid
March 19th, 2018, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQmfZ1Fq60&t=157s

Tough like the soft feathery belly of a baby duck.

That'll be all you have to look back on for a while. Hope it lasts for you.

PaladinFan
March 20th, 2018, 04:07 AM
That'll be all you have to look back on for a while. Hope it lasts for you.

It'll do for a few months.

youcanbankit
March 23rd, 2018, 06:25 PM
Spring Practice Updates?

Samford
Samford begins their spring practices on Monday. Returning 10 Starters on offense and 7 on Defense. High expectations early. Predict a top 15 or higher initial ranking.

Mercer???

Furman???

The Citadel???

Wofford???

Western Carolina???

UTC???

VMI???

kdinva
March 23rd, 2018, 06:57 PM
Spring Practice Updates?

VMI???

I posted VMI's in the "SoCon offseason" thread....

youcanbankit
March 23rd, 2018, 08:45 PM
I posted VMI's in the "SoCon offseason" thread....

That must be why I missed it....

SU DOG
March 25th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Spring Practice Updates?

Samford
Samford begins their spring practices on Monday. Returning 10 Starters on offense and 7 on Defense. High expectations early. Predict a top 15 or higher initial ranking.

Mercer???

Furman???

The Citadel???

Wofford???

Western Carolina???

UTC???

VMI???

Who is that one starter we lost on offense? I cannot find a single starter who will not be returning. If you are thinking Ta'Darryl Marshall, I know he only started one game of our last four. Maybe that's why he moved on to the greener pastures of UAB. Well, at least the "Green" part will be correct - LOL. Seriously, maybe things will work out for the young man. I say that we return ALL starters on offense, with the best O-Line we have fielded in years.

youcanbankit
March 25th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Who is that one starter we lost on offense? I cannot find a single starter who will not be returning. If you are thinking Ta'Darryl Marshall, I know he only started one game of our last four. Maybe that's why he moved on to the greener pastures of UAB. Well, at least the "Green" part will be correct - LOL. Seriously, maybe things will work out for the young man. I say that we return ALL starters on offense, with the best O-Line we have fielded in years.

You make good points. Was thinking of TD Marshall & One Olinemen a freshmen #68. They had a few starts between them.

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I say that we return ALL starters on offense, with the best O-Line we have fielded in years.

RUSHING OFFENSE
G
Att
Yards
Avg.
TD
Yards/G

The Citadel

Wofford

Western Carolina

Furman

Mercer

VMI

Samford

OK

SU DOG
March 25th, 2018, 10:37 AM
RUSHING OFFENSE
G
Att
Yards
Avg.
TD
Yards/G

The Citadel

Wofford

Western Carolina

Furman

Mercer

VMI

Samford

OK

Relevant stats? If we were not a passing team I would agree. This O-Line started 2 Fr. 2 Soph. and 1 Jr. They got better as the season progressed. Hmm, seems I recall they managed to out rush your Mercer boys by a large margin.

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Relevant stats? If we were not a passing team I would agree. This O-Line started 2 Fr. 2 Soph. and 1 Jr. They got better as the season progressed. Hmm, seems I recall they managed to out rush your Mercer boys by a large margin.

OK x 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SU DOG
March 25th, 2018, 11:11 AM
And I agree that if Samford is going to any higher levels. then a better rushing attack is critically important. I hope we can greatly improve our running game this year.

youcanbankit
March 25th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Its the "Winning Game" stat Samford is after. With the air raid attack you just dont rush for high levels. You dont have a 2-time OPY at QB without WR's and an Oline that can pass block.

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Its the "Winning Game" stat Samford is after. With the air raid attack you just dont rush for high levels. You dont have a 2-time OPY at QB without WR's and an Oline that can pass block.

Rank Team Att Sacks Allowed Sack/Att
1 Furman 151 7 0.0464
2 Samford 349 19 0.0544
3 Mercer 176 12 0.0682
4 Western Carolina 209 24 0.1148
5 Wofford 81 10 0.1235
6 Chattanooga 221 34 0.1538
7 ETSU 183 30 0.1639
8 VMI 172 29 0.1686
9 The Citadel 52 11 0.2115

OK x 3

However, some knowledgeable observers might contend that the QB’s abilities (mental & physical (quick release, pocket awareness, scrambling ability)) & the design of the O (gun + quick game) had much, much more to do with Samford’s #2 SoCon ranking in this metric than the PassPro capability of their O-Line.

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2018, 12:48 PM

Yes and no.

To be fair, I'm not a huge fan of the air raid offense. The upside is that the air raid can put points on the board and pressure the vertical spaces on the field that most offenses can't. The downside is that it is an offense that--by design--is a bit of a one trick pony. If a defense can stop the one trick, it's "goodnight sweetheart."

More to the point, though, is you need a running game. It is obviously not a heavy feature of Samford's offense, but being unable to run the ball essentially makes Samford one dimensional. One dimensional teams are much easier to beat.

I think most concerning for Samford in 2018 is their losses on defense. The Bulldogs far exceeded expectations on that side of the ball in 2017. Their advantage on offense wasn't particularly that strong as it has been in the past. The Bulldog offense was one of the league's better offenses, but still significantly behind Furman and Western in conference play, and basically in line with Mercer and Wofford. If their defense takes a step back, the margin of error in their wins will narrow significantly as well.

PaladinFan
March 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
1 Furman 151 7 0.0464
2 Samford 349 19 0.0544
3 Mercer 176 12 0.0682
5 Wofford 81 10 0.1235
7 ETSU 183 30 0.1639
8 VMI 172 29 0.1686

OK x 3

However, some knowledgeable observers might contend that the QB’s abilities (mental & physical (quick release, pocket awareness, scrambling ability)) & the design of the O (gun + quick game) had much, much more to do with Samford’s #2 SoCon ranking in this metric than the PassPro capability of their O-Line.

It is not a scientific metric, but of the 20 spots reserved for offensive linemen on the All SoCon teams (coaches/media 1st team, 2nd team), only one went to a Samford OL (Nick Nixon - 2nd team coaches).

You can watch Samford's offense for 5 minutes and see that Hodges makes the whole ship go. I am really going to be interested in 2019 to see whether Samford goes a similar route Elon did after Scott Riddle graduated.

youcanbankit
March 25th, 2018, 12:58 PM
1 Furman 151 7 0.0464
2 Samford 349 19 0.0544
3 Mercer 176 12 0.0682
5 Wofford 81 10 0.1235
7 ETSU 183 30 0.1639
8 VMI 172 29 0.1686

OK x 3

I am sure your right. If Mercer had Hodges their Oline and WR's wouldn't matter.

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I am sure your right. If Mercer had Hodges their Oline and WR's wouldn't matter.

OK x 4 - Topic =
I say that we return ALL starters on offense, with the best O-Line we have fielded in years.

SU DOG
March 25th, 2018, 06:46 PM
I guess that there are all kind of opinions and stats that can be applied when you are discussing and speculating about future possibilities. In this case, however, I personally know some(not all) of these young guys, how hard they work, the kind of character they have, and some of their HS history. I know this influences my thinking that this is a very good group. We shall see, but I can't help but be optimistic.

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2018, 09:22 PM
I can't help but be optimistic.OK x 5

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2018, 04:37 AM
I guess that there are all kind of opinions and stats that can be applied when you are discussing and speculating about future possibilities. In this case, however, I personally know some(not all) of these young guys, how hard they work, the kind of character they have, and some of their HS history. I know this influences my thinking that this is a very good group. We shall see, but I can't help but be optimistic.

I imagine that’s the case for many of these teams.

Here’s a photo Furman posted earlier this week of the Paladins working out before dawn (they have already completed spring practice weeks ago). Putting the work in during the winter will make a difference in the fall.

https://twitter.com/paladinfootball/status/976037541630627840?s=21

Milktruck74
March 26th, 2018, 11:14 AM

That stat was pretty difficult for my Mocs to achieve.....except when we faced those three very weak opponents.

JSUSoutherner
March 26th, 2018, 11:42 AM
That stat was pretty difficult for my Mocs to achieve.....
What else is new? :D

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2018, 12:01 PM
That stat was pretty difficult for my Mocs to achieve.....except when we faced those three very weak opponents.

The Mocs are a real wild card. I think they stunned everyone by being as poor as they were last season.

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2018, 12:06 PM
What else is new? :D

I wouldn't throw too much shade. JSU lost to the only two good teams they played all season.

Milktruck74
March 26th, 2018, 05:01 PM
The Mocs are a real wild card. I think they stunned everyone by being as poor as they were last season.

My hope is Arth knows a thing or two and wanted to put in HIS system and was willing to FORCE it for a year or two to reap the benefits down the road. I knew we probably wouldn't make the playoffs, last year even with Russ driving the ship. I can hope....maybe Arth knows it is going to take 10-12 losses to get his offense into place, and he is willing to take a bunch of those on the front end, rather than drig them into a 3rd season (or a 4th that would seal his fate). I do see some hope, but it'll be another year before we see the real rewards.

youcanbankit
March 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM
OK x 5

You mean KO x 5. SuDog 5 Fubear 0 xlolx

youcanbankit
March 26th, 2018, 05:22 PM
My hope is Arth knows a thing or two and wanted to put in HIS system and was willing to FORCE it for a year or two to reap the benefits down the road. I knew we probably wouldn't make the playoffs, last year even with Russ driving the ship. I can hope....maybe Arth knows it is going to take 10-12 losses to get his offense into place, and he is willing to take a bunch of those on the front end, rather than drig them into a 3rd season (or a 4th that would seal his fate). I do see some hope, but it'll be another year before we see the real rewards.

I agree. Russ knew he was leaving the program in a declining state. Arth will bring them back once he has time to get in his system and his players. 2020? He needs at least 5 years to get the ship at full speed.

PaladinFan
March 26th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I agree. Russ knew he was leaving the program in a declining state. Arth will bring them back once he has time to get in his system and his players. 2020? He needs at least 5 years to get the ship at full speed.

Does suggest (to me at least) how strong Furman could be going forward. Clay Hendrix took a team mired in three straight losing seasons and immediately turned them around, winning 8 games, playing a bunch of freshmen, and completely changing offensive and defensive systems.

A lot of coaches get 3, 4, or 5 years to make an impact. Hendrix needed about 3 games.

FUBeAR
March 26th, 2018, 09:22 PM
You mean KO x 5. SuDog 5 Fubear 0 xlolxOK x 6

Mocs123
March 28th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Does suggest (to me at least) how strong Furman could be going forward. Clay Hendrix took a team mired in three straight losing seasons and immediately turned them around, winning 8 games, playing a bunch of freshmen, and completely changing offensive and defensive systems.

A lot of coaches get 3, 4, or 5 years to make an impact. Hendrix needed about 3 games.

Hendrix’ turnaround of Furman was impressive. What was most impressive to me is he did it with pretty much the same team Furman had in ‘16 minus Hannon, who I thought was a good QB. I could have sworn Jerome Felton was running the ball again.

To be honest it reminded me a bit of the difference between Allison’s 1-11 2009 Chattanooga team and Huesman’s 6-5 2010 team.

Furman scares me in 2018.

Mocs123
March 28th, 2018, 07:14 PM

He definitely forced it last season. Hopefully it pays dividends the next few years.

Mocs123
March 28th, 2018, 07:20 PM

They certainly stunned me. I knew we would miss Craine but didn’t expect to lose Bennifield and was shocked at how bad our OLine played.

Defense wasn’t terrible (except for the Furman game when they thought they were playing two hand touch). Offense was pathetic. It was by far our worse offense statistically in a decade. It looked worse than that.

I expect a lot of improvement this year but it’s hard to keep up in the SoCon arms race. Every team is competitive except VMI and most are improving.

We need to sneak in the playoffs in ‘18

PaladinFan
March 29th, 2018, 08:52 AM
They certainly stunned me. I knew we would miss Craine but didn’t expect to lose Bennifield and was shocked at how bad our OLine played.

Defense wasn’t terrible (except for the Furman game when they thought they were playing two hand touch). Offense was pathetic. It was by far our worse offense statistically in a decade. It looked worse than that.

I expect a lot of improvement this year but it’s hard to keep up in the SoCon arms race. Every team is competitive except VMI and most are improving.

We need to sneak in the playoffs in ‘18

Over the last few years, a lot of UTC's offensive success (in my view) was pinned on Craine keeping teams honest in the middle. At their best, the Mocs could stretch you horizontally and vertically and let Bagley and the receivers beat you outside while Craine hammered the ball inside.

Last year, they really didn't have the battering ram. While I thought the OL looked poorly conditioned, there really just wasn't a threat that forced defenses to get off the QB and outside WRs/RBs. That talent gap was then exposed pretty quickly.

For the Mocs to make a run at the post season, they have to get more production out of the offensive line. If the offense can't move the ball, it really isn't going to matter how good your defense is, especially in this league. Many of the SoCon teams have embraced some "old school" bully ball on offense, and that will wear out just about anyone.

Mocs123
March 29th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Yeah we had Keon Williams, who was a big, beast of a back, and then Craine, who was a similar style runner though a little lighter. We have a potential replacement in Terrel Price at 6’ 220lbs.

youcanbankit
March 30th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Furman scares me in 2018.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27347&stc=1

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I don't know the level of "scary" Furman will be in 2018.

Just from my point of view, the team did a complete 180 under the new coaching regime. In conference play, they were the best offense by just about every measure in 2017. The defense finished second in scoring defense. The team was mostly freshmen and everyone was playing under completely new systems on both sides of the ball.

I imagine with a full year under their belt, you would expect to see a tick up in efficiency. The Paladins have some question marks -- like all teams -- but I would expect a similar type of offensive output next season and perhaps the best Paladin defense since the mid-2000s.

Not personnel related, but worth noting that Furman played all of their toughest conference opponents (Samford, Wofford (twice), and Western) on the road in 2017. They get them all in Greenville in 2018.

Milktruck74
April 2nd, 2018, 04:22 AM
Still way too many questions, but I think My Mocs are going to atleast be competitive this year. All reports are saying the OL is sured up, and the RB slot is now filled with that big bruising back we lacked last year.

kdinva
April 2nd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Hmmm:

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

East Tennessee State (FCS): Head coach Randy Sanders has been placed on “paid administrative leave pending the investigation of potential violation of university policy,” according to the school’s release. Sanders was named head coach at ETSU back in December following the retirement of Carl Torbush and spent the last few seasons as the co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach at Florida State.

and Coach Satterfield is leaving...

Baylor: Per source, East Tennessee State (FCS) offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Marcus Satterfield is joining the Baylor staff in a player development-type role. Satterfield is the former head coach at Tennessee Tech (2016-17) and also previously served as Matt Rhule’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Temple for a few years.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Football/2018/04/02/ETSU-football-announcement-expected-this-morning.html?ci=stream&lp=1&p=

Milktruck74
April 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Dolt. What did Randy do?

bonarae
April 2nd, 2018, 11:00 AM
Same here. I posted the ETSU issue in its own thread now.

OpTimeGuy
April 2nd, 2018, 11:42 AM
Coach Sanders apparently "struck" a layer in the helmet. That is all that is out there right now

PaladinFan
April 2nd, 2018, 12:11 PM
Coach Sanders apparently "struck" a layer in the helmet. That is all that is out there right now

Johnson City press report: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Football/2018/04/02/ETSU-football-announcement-expected-this-morning.html

Sort of a strange to say he "hit a player in the helmet." I guess a punch? Could throw a football at them or something, but I don't think that is "administrative leave" type stuff.

Not a great look for ETSU in either event. Brand new coach gets placed on leave during spring practice.

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
He’s baaaaaack...mate.

http://mercerbears.com/news/2018/5/2/football-matt-shiel-returns-as-graduate-transfer.aspx

http://mercerbears.com/images/2018/5/2/Shiel_TTU1_WEB.jpg

MACON, Ga. – A familiar face will return stateside to rejoin Mercer's football program for the upcoming 2018 campaign.

Former Mercer punter Matt Shiel has signed a scholarship offer to complete his athletic eligibility as a graduate school transfer for the 2018-19 academic year. Shiel, who earned All-Southern Conference Second Team (Media) honors in his lone season with the Bears in 2015, has spent the last two years at Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia, but did not compete.

"Our program is thrilled to have Matt return to Middle Georgia after he spent the last two years back in Australia," said head coach Bobby Lamb. "Matt was a tremendous addition to our punting game in 2015 and we're confident he can do much of the same next fall as we compete for a SoCon Championship."

Shiel originally transferred to Mercer via Auburn, where he played in two games for the Tigers as a true freshman. The Doncaster, Australia, native made an immediate impact for Mercer in 2015 by averaging 44.1 yards per punt over 44 punts. He kicked eight punts of 50-plus yards, including a program-record 73-yard punt against VMI on Oct. 24, 2015 and tallied 21 punts pinned inside opponents' 20-yard line.

longtimemocfan
May 4th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Yeah we had Keon Williams, who was a big, beast of a back, and then Craine, who was a similar style runner though a little lighter. We have a potential replacement in Terrel Price at 6’ 220lbs.

Spring games aren’t a total indicator of things to come, but the OL did look pretty good. McClendon Curtis all 6’8” and a slim down 315 pounds of him was a force. With the addition of Harrison Moon the OL should be much improved. The QB race is another story. I’ve heard Chris James not only possesses a good arm, but can really run. He didn’t play in the spring game so may not know much about him until this fall. Could be a 3 headed race at QB.

PaladinFan
May 5th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Spring games aren’t a total indicator of things to come, but the OL did look pretty good. McClendon Curtis all 6’8” and a slim down 315 pounds of him was a force. With the addition of Harrison Moon the OL should be much improved. The QB race is another story. I’ve heard Chris James not only possesses a good arm, but can really run. He didn’t play in the spring game so may not know much about him until this fall. Could be a 3 headed race at QB.

Why isn't Copeland the guy?

longtimemocfan
May 5th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Why isn't Copeland the guy?

Copeland is the logical choice. He has the best pocket presence and manages the game better. Tiano has the better arm, but during the spring game he abandoned his check downs too many times and left the pocket to scramble. James haven’t seen, but one of the coaches told me he is very athletic and has a good arm.

Milktruck74
May 6th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Even if it was Copeland, TA won't say that until probably the week before the opener. He knows how competition pushes guys to get better....when you name a starter, complacency sets in. I'm really interested in the James kid. He hasn't really played any ball in the last 3 years, they obviously saw something in him.....We had a full slate of QBs and burnt a spot on him, so that says something.....now, just have to figure out if it says something good about him or something not so good about our recruiting selections!!!

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Even if it was Copeland, TA won't say that until probably the week before the opener. He knows how competition pushes guys to get better....when you name a starter, complacency sets in. I'm really interested in the James kid. He hasn't really played any ball in the last 3 years, they obviously saw something in him.....We had a full slate of QBs and burnt a spot on him, so that says something.....now, just have to figure out if it says something good about him or something not so good about our recruiting selections!!!

I think the general idea for most teams is to try to take a QB every season. Injuries happen and you always can use depth at that position.

I also think that QBs are ordinarily going to be the best athlete on their high school roster. If a player doesn't pan out at QB, odds are he can move to a different position as a contributor. Furman has had bizarre success moving guys off QB to be really productive players at a myriad of different positions.

longtimemocfan
May 6th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Your right he’s kind of a unknown. They seem to think he can really play we’ll find out soon enough.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Your right he’s kind of a unknown. They seem to think he can really play we’ll find out soon enough.

I do agree with some of the other sentiment, that if the Mocs don't fix their ability to run the ball it probably won't matter much who is at QB.

longtimemocfan
May 6th, 2018, 08:54 PM
We’ll see. The offensive line should be better and the addition of Tyrell Price 6’0” 220 lbs back from East Miss.CC
Could see a pretty big difference. Just have to see how much of that translates to the field.

Milktruck74
May 7th, 2018, 06:04 AM
I do agree with some of the other sentiment, that if the Mocs don't fix their ability to run the ball it probably won't matter much who is at QB.

TRUTH!!!! This is the secret sauce, that everybody knows!!!!

Mocs123
May 7th, 2018, 07:48 AM

You are right about James being a wild card. I thought he was such an odd signing, and he didn’t seem to do much at Valdosta or at Hutcheson CC but I think he was hurt most of that time. I have heard lots of really good things about him though, so I’m not sure what to think.

Copeland should have the edge going into fall camp as he has a good pocket presence and showed a lot of poise as a freshman playing behind a weak offense line, but he doesn’t have a cannon or anything (which is ok) and tended to stare down targets (which I am hoping can be fixed).

Tiano has the physical tools, but never looked comfortable and took a real beating behind our oline.

Mocs123
May 7th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I think the general idea for most teams is to try to take a QB every season. Injuries happen and you always can use depth at that position.

I understand that position, but he isn’t a Freshman but a Sophomore with 3 years to play. We already have a Rising Sophmore and Junior, so to me if they just wanted another QB they would have signed a HS kid. Arth has said he has one of the strongest and most accurate arms he has ever seen (despite not playing much in CC and his HS stats being good not great).