11/4 at Weber State
11/11 Montana
11/18 at Sacramento State
Nice schedule. Glad to see Cal Poly back on the schedule.:thumbsup:

89Hen
February 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
So OOC is NAIA, tough FCS, and an FBS.

:( :confused:
Not sure I follow Tod. A win, a good I-AA game and a money game. Sounds pretty normal for most teams. :confused:

BigApp
February 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
any other Oregon teams they could play??

89Hen
February 23rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
any other Oregon teams they could play??
http://www.ocom.edu/images/quote_1.jpg

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2007, 11:57 AM
Not sure I follow Tod. A win, a good I-AA game and a money game. Sounds pretty normal for most teams. :confused:

Agreed - nothing wrong with that setup - there are only so many ways to ply a 3 game OOC schedule. :thumbsup:

poly51
February 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
9/8 Southern Oregon
9/15 at Oregon State
9/22 Eastern Washington
9/29 at Montana State
10/6 Northern Colorado
10/13 at Northern Arizona
10/20 Portland State
10/27 Cal Poly
11/4 at Weber State
11/11 Montana
11/18 at Sacramento State

The series with Cal Poly goes way back. It started in 1937 and Cal Poly leads the series 9-6.

BigApp
February 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
in this case, does OOC mean "Oregon-Only Competition"?

NE MT GRIZZ
February 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM

The NAIA game won't count toward playoff elibigle wins will it?

catbob
February 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
The NAIA game won't count toward playoff elibigle wins will it?

No, but neither do DII wins. The only way a NAIA game could potentially hurt you is if you were neck and neck with another team for a playoff bid, but they beat a DII instead of a NAIA. NAIA hurts SOS a bit, but not that much worse than DII. As long as it is only one, of course.

Just don't lose. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Tod
February 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM

I'm not dissing the schedule as much as I'm saying that this does not set them up well for the playoffs. It really screws with their chances for an at-large bid.

Replace the NAIA or the FBS with an FCS and I wouldn't have said a thing.

NE MT GRIZZ
February 23rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'm not dissing the schedule as much as I'm saying that this does not set them up well for the playoffs. It really screws with their chances for an at-large bid.

I see them at 6-5 with that schedule, and only 5 wins count.
Even if they pull an upset and get to 7 wins, Tod is right playoffs are null and void.

GannonFan
February 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
I see them at 6-5 with that schedule, and only 5 wins count.
Even if they pull an upset and get to 7 wins, Tod is right playoffs are null and void.

If they are only 7-4 then do they really have that big of a gripe anyways? Only 16 teams make it, and 7-4 isn't a sterling record. If they go 8-3 they'll probably make it, even with the NAIA team on the schedule.

biobengal
February 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM

Tod, in a perfect Bengal world ISU could buy home games against middlin' programs such as Albany. However, this OOC scheulde is much better than 2006 and most other years. For example, ISU has 6 home games, the first time since 2003. Further, they don't play 2 BS teams like last year (Idaho, UNLV).

However, I don't really like the Oregon State game. Oregon State will be very good and their payout is on the low end. IMO, it's a no win situation for ISU.

ISU hasn't made the playoffs in God knows when, they rarely have 6 home games, and some of you have called for a harder schedule? No thanks!

BTW, I don't see a program that is off the radar like ISU getting into the playoffs after going 8-3, 7-3 against Division I. 2002 is a good example of that.

Sawtooth
February 23rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Our record was 2-9 this past season. Our defense sucked. We are left with a sophomore quarterback with no real experience. We hired a new coach and staff. Why are we even worried that this schedule will keep us out of the playoffs? :eyebrow:

For what it's worth, I just don't see much difference in playing an NAIA school or a division II school -- neither helps you in terms of quality wins, and both can hurt you if you lose. I don't know how many scholarships Southern Oregon offers (the NAIA max is 24, I believe), but as far as I know, the D-II RMAC (i.e. Fort Lewis) only allows a max of 24-25 (instead of the 36). I'd be willing to bet most NAIA Frontier Conference schools (i.e. Carroll) would be very competitive, if not beat, RMAC schools.

Tod
February 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM
bio, Saw, I want to ensure that you don't think I was disrespecting ISU in my post. That was not what I meant at all.

I believe that an AD/Coach should plan for the best, and part of that is not scheduling OOC games in such a way that it will hurt the team.

While I have defended Montana's OOC schedule, I've also voiced my dismay. I don't think it's a strong OOC schedule, but we have two D-I opponents we can probably beat.

You don't.

I don't advocate trying to stack the deck, but ISU will be fortunate to come out of OOC play with one D-I win.

Regardless of the prospect, you should always plan for winning, IMO.

The three OOC opponents that ISU has does not do well for the ISU team.

To me his schedule says that you have to win the auto-bid or you're screwed. I hope I'm wrong.

Hope there are no hard feelings, because I didn't mean it as a shot at ISU.

OB55
February 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Our record was 2-9 this past season. Our defense sucked. We are left with a sophomore quarterback with no real experience. We hired a new coach and staff. Why are we even worried that this schedule will keep us out of the playoffs? :eyebrow:

For what it's worth, I just don't see much difference in playing an NAIA school or a division II school -- neither helps you in terms of quality wins, and both can hurt you if you lose. I don't know how many scholarships Southern Oregon offers (the NAIA max is 24, I believe), but as far as I know, the D-II RMAC (i.e. Fort Lewis) only allows a max of 24-25 (instead of the 36). I'd be willing to bet most NAIA Frontier Conference schools (i.e. Carroll) would be very competitive, if not beat, RMAC schools.
You would find plenty who would like to take your money. There is a bigger gap there than you realize. Wait for the outcome of the S. Oregon game and the game between EWU and W. Montana and you will see. Last year I watched the MSU ISU game and the MSU Chadron State game. Chadron plays in the RMAC.:twocents: