PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate the local media coverage your football team receives

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
1 to 10. With 10 being the best. How would you rate the local media coverage your team receives. Feel free to rate Radio, TV and Newspaper individually.

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
One, one, and one.

GeauxColonels
February 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Out of the three mediums....I have to say that Nicholls State gets the best coverage in the newspaper (specifically The Advocate here in Baton Rouge). The Times-Picayune in New Orleans is AWFUL in its coverage of Colonel sports in general.

Radio and TV is worse in both markets.

Newspaper - 5 (due to the Baton Rouge and Houma coverage)
Radio - 3
Television - 2 (the only saving grace is that Cox Sports has shown a few Nicholls State games in recent years).

FargoBison
February 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Newspaper-10
Radio-9.5, due to issues of it not being completely statewide coverage
TV-10

NDSU is lucky to have a media contract with Forum Communications, they own the local newspaper, a few radio stations, and a tv station in town.

aggie6thman
February 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
1=Slim to none.

ncbears
February 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm going to rate Greeley and then the Denver news stations/papers.

Greeley Trib I think deserves an 6 or 7. They cover the athletics fine but our beat writer doesn't really like our AD and new coach.

Denver media does much better from when we were d2. They only wrote about us in d2 when we were winning. Now we're getting more attention, still not as much as the bigger schools. Altitude Sports and Entertainment tv does a few football and b-ball games. Same with Fox Sports RockyMountain. I give the Denver media about a 7

NU Hound29
February 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
tv-1 maybe a game or two on CN8
radio- 1 we have games on ESPN Radio, but no talk about it
print- 4 recaps in the Herald and the Globe, every so often a feature or two but not a ton

Tod
February 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
tv-1 maybe a game or two on CN8
radio- 1 we have games on ESPN Radio, but no talk about it
print- 4 recaps in the Herald and the Globe, every so often a feature or two but not a ton

Its hard to compete with the Red Sox and Patriots, not to mention Boston College.

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
for UNH, when I was living in NH even in bad seasons WMUR TV seemed to do a decent job covering them.

And the Union Leader has been good lately. Though they stopped posting pictures on the website after the Richmond game (Record Breaker for Ball) which led me to think they stopped sending a photopgrapher to games.

JDC325
February 22nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
0.000000001 the ATL media market does not know GASOU exists.

ucdtim17
February 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
1=Slim to none.

In fairness, the Enterprise does a great job. But that (and the Aggie) is pretty much the extent of the Davis media. The Democrat does good work as well.

Sac (Bee, TV, radio) might deserve that 1. Hopefully that will be changing when the games start counting next year

BigApp
February 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
1,5 (we get pretty good run on the local sports radio stations),1

poly51
February 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
Cal Poly gets good coverage from the local Tribune. Poly is the only game in town. And 140 miles around. I give them about a 9 or 10. TV coverage is getting better. The do cover some of the better away games and the playoffs. Radio coverage is good.

appfan2008
February 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM
1,5 (we get pretty good run on the local sports radio stations),1

for as good as we are it really should be better...

crunifan
February 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
In Cedar Falls/Waterloo - 10

UNI is really the pride of the Cedar Valley. They really give our school great support up here. Billboards everywhere. You see TV commercials for the games. The Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier gives great UNI coverage. As for the news stations, our CBS and ABC affliates are out of Cedar Rapids, therefore completely Hawkeye. But NBC affiliate is out of Waterloo, and gives UNI good coverage.

The state as a whole, I would say - 5

UNI's coverage statewide is increasing, which is very good. But places like Cedar Rapids/Iowa City are so focused on the Hawkeyes I don't expect much coverage. It's slowly getting better, can't complain too much. I think many other FCS schools have it worse than us.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Newspaper-10 (the Baton Rouge Advocate)
tv-10 (Wafb, Wbrz and cox)

Radio- 7 (SU gets no love, with the exception of baseball, from BR sportstalk,Jimmy Ott and Buddy Songy)

Husky Alum
February 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
For Northeastern, a good amount of TV coverage depends on whether Boston College is (i) at home, (ii) playing on Thursday, or whether Harvard is home.

If Harvard is away and BC is away, we'll probably get on the nightly news with video. If Harvard and BC are home, forget it.

I'd give TV a 2-3 as we do have a couple of games on TV every year.

Radio, we actually have a good radio deal with ESPN Radio in Boston now, so in prior years I'd give it a 1 or 2, with ESPN Radio, you can now hear NU football games throughout Eastern MA, so I'll give it a 3 or 4.

Print - If we're home, I'll give it a 4 or 5, as we'll get a writer and photographer from the Globe and Herald at the game. If we're on the road, it's a 1 or 2 as we'll get the same paragraph about our game as the state colleges get for their games. If we're on the road and UMass is home, they'll likely get better coverage than we will in Boston.

Col Hogan
February 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM
Distance is the key...the closer to the campus, the better it gets.

Most folks outside New England/A-10/CAA think UMass is near Boston, it's not...

Boston Media coverage of UMass I'd give an overall 2. I go that high because the Boston Globe does a fair job of covering events, with an occasional feature.

Springfield is the nearest major city (not the Simpson's Springfield, the Basketball Hall of Fame Springfield). I'd rate the coverage there 5-6. The TV stations give UMass pretty good coverage, and the papers do a good job. Little radio, though.

Northampton/Amherst is the home of UMass. The Daily Hampshire Gazette does a good job(8-9) covering all aspects of UMass sports, and there's good radio coverage. No TV stations there...it all comes from Springfield/Hartford in the Pioneer Valley

bjtheflamesfan
February 23rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Newspaper-7 (We got a new beat writer in 2005 and he has been very fair and balanced in his writing. He actually posts on here if the circumstances warrant. Used to be all the coverage was slanted in the negative direction)

TV- 5 (We get love on the evening news around here, but we haven't had a home game on TV in a long while. Hopefully somebody ponies up the money so that we can have home games on TV.

Radio- 7 Jerry Edwards has been our radio voice for as long as I can remember (He was honored for 25 years of service last year), and does a pretty good job. Not perfect, but a great job nonetheless

andy7171
February 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
Good topic.

As far as football is concerned, Towson gets second billing to Maryland everywhere. Even in Baltimore, which is 20 miles north of College Park and Towson is right here. It's understandable though.

I'd give The Sun newpaper a 6.5. The team always gets a Saturday morning pre-game write up/article and there is always a big article on Sunday, usually with a color picture if its a home game.
I'd give the TV coverage a 5. All 4 major stations local news usually follow the Terps highlights with a Towson highlight clip. And CN8 has aired games a couple times.
Radio? Eh I'll give em a 1.5. Local sports talk likes to talk Terps. Only if Towson is playing really well will they even mention them. And even then it's like we're D.III. It'll be really interesting to see how the story goes when we play Navy and Maryland in the upcoming years.

Uncle Buck
February 23rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
TV 1 :
When I played at HU in the early 90's we had every game on the old Sports Channel. Now we have 1 or 2 a year, even when we were playoff caliber.

Radio: 4
WRHU - can't get the signal 20 miles from school, though it is on the web

Newspaper: 1
Always had crappey coverage and always will. Newsday is more in tune with high school sports and the pro game here in NY.

Peems
February 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
In the words of Usher "on a scale of a one to ten it's a certified 20"

Pard4Life
February 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
The Leopards are front page news in the Express-Times and Morning Call in the Lehigh Valley. Us and Lehigh are the only D-I colleges in the area, with Philadelphia being 70 miles south.

There are over a million people in the LV area, and in NJ, who don't have a major sports program.

CSUBUCDAD
February 23rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Before Mills showed up it was a big fat 0 and 0 pretty much. You never heard about it on the local sports news and might get lucky and see a game score along with every other team in the country on Sunday morning. Since Mills has arrived and with me pestering the hell out of the sportscasters and writers, it has gotten much better. Games are broadcast on ESPN radio( all of them, not just the home games) and there is always a nice writeup during the week on something and on Sunday recapping the game.

BigApp
February 23rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

when our own alumni stop caring more for other teams instead of Appalachian, it will get better.

slycat
February 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
newspaper - 6 the austin paper writes good articles and the san antonio could do more
radio - 4 a couple interviews and the owner of our fansite gets some radio time too
tv - 7 austin picked up a weekly installment for bobcat football that highlighted games and interviews. i hope this continues with the new coach.

a lot of this was made possible because may fans wrote in complaites about the lack of coverage. the austin paper really stepped it up and even gave us our own section on thier website.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
What aspects of the coverage do you and other App State fans think could be done better (honestly)?

My own, perhaps biased, assessment is that Tommy Bowman of the Winston-Salem Journal does a pretty good job. He has been covering ASU games fulltime since 1993 and occasionally for several years before that. He generally has a feature story each week during the season, game coverage on Sunday and breaks stories elsewhere as needed. You may, or may not know that the Lenoir News-Topic also has a minimum of two stories per week, sometimes three on ASU football during the season.

The Charlotte Observer, while covering the games, has always been very inconsistent on its total coverage. One of the problems with the Observer is that it has staff members who almost never see the team write articles (often riddled with mistakes) during the week, instead of the person who has covered the games for 15 years.

The Asheville Citizen-Times occasionally sends someone like Keith Jarrett (a very fine writer, one of the best in the state in my opinion), but the decision-makers have never quite decided how to cover the Mountaineers, even though Boone is just an hour and a half from Asheville. The Citizen-Times is just messed up from a management standpoint (would you expect anything else from Gannet?).

The local Watauga Democrat has continued to slide downhill ever since it went from family ownership in the mid-90s to corporate ownership in the ensuing years. The coverage now is reflective of that. And the deadlines, since the paper got rid of home delivery and started mailing it out, are some of the most inefficient I've ever seen in this business. I know more about that situation than the others, considering I was the sports editor there for 2 1/2 years. I left the paper with an award for best sports coverage in North Carolina. Staff cutbacks, bad hiring and a lack of aggressiveness have plagued the paper since in all areas. It is an unattractive product with its tabloid format. It was a good looking paper after a color redesign in 1997. The current sports editor tries and he writes a lot about ASU, but he doesn't have a lot of management support and has few resources. A lot of the ASU sports are covered with news releases from ASU and are not regularly staffed. The other weekly newspapers in town, the Mountain Times (owned by the Watuaga Democrat owners) and the High Country Press do little on sports and could be a lot better.

Since ASU has been winning, the TV stations in the surrounding areas (Boone has one local TV station) have done more to cover the program. On the radio side, Jeff Fancher (the older brother of basketball coach Houston Fancher) talks a lot of ASU football on his daily radio show and the ASN network does a good job on game days. Other sports shows in places like Charlotte have started doing more, but it could be a lot better.

Another area that people may be unaware of is regional magazines that are starting to write about ASU. Sports Sports Journal had a I-AA preview article and a feature on Kevin Richardson last fall and High Country Magazine, a very high-quality product that is a year or two old, has featured articles on Jerry Moore and Armanti Edwards in recent months. The Edwards article was just released this week. Several other articles on ASU sports should be coming up in months to come.

But seriously, I'd like to here what ASU fans think are the strengths and weaknesses of media coverage for their team.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Some thoughts from a national writer on some of the FCS coverage I've seen around the country:

Some newspapers I've been impressed with for theie FCS coverage include the Missoulan in Missoula, Mont. (particularly when Jon Kasper was there), the Lake Charles paper (Gary Laney is one of the best and I like your columnist, Scooter, too.), the Savannah Morning News (Don Heath is top-notch), the folks who cover Lafayette and Lehigh (was impressed with them when we met up in the 2005 playoffs) and the folks who cover Northern Iowa. Almost forgot the folks in Baton Rouge, who do good work, too. Some of the Southern Conference media I have a lot of respect for include the staff at the Charleston Post & Courier, particularly Jeff Hartzell and columnist Ken Burger (one of the country's great secrets). Tommy Bowman does a solid job for the Winston-Salem Journal and Wes Rucker works hard at his beat at the Chattanooga Times-Free Press.

Peems
February 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Some thoughts from a national writer on some of the FCS coverage I've seen around the country:

Some newspapers I've been impressed with for theie FCS coverage include the Missoulan in Missoula, Mont. (particularly when Jon Kasper was there), the Lake Charles paper (Gary Laney is one of the best and I like your columnist, Scooter, too.), the Savannah Morning News (Don Heath is top-notch), the folks who cover Lafayette and Lehigh (was impressed with them when we met up in the 2005 playoffs) and the folks who cover Northern Iowa. Almost forgot the folks in Baton Rouge, who do good work, too. Some of the Southern Conference media I have a lot of respect for include the staff at the Charleston Post & Courier, particularly Jeff Hartzell and columnist Ken Burger (one of the country's great secrets). Tommy Bowman does a solid job for the Winston-Salem Journal and Wes Rucker works hard at his beat at the Chattanooga Times-Free Press.

Jon Kasper was great, and will always be. Rial Cummings is great as well and seems to always have the fan's interests at heat.

MYTAPPY
February 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Mr. C, doesn't the Observer list you as a special correspondant?

I agree ASN does do a good job and thankfully I am able to get 97.3FM here in the Charotte area.

The NBC affliate here in Charlotte, is probably the only newcast that goes in depth with App (only during football season of course).

I'll give the Charlotte media a low 4 (on a 1-10 scale)

lizrdgizrd
February 23rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
I hear very little about ASU sports here in the Triangle.

BrevardMountaineer03
February 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Living in Western NC, (60 miles from Cullowhee) ASU isn't covered much. Mostly WCU. The Asheville paper had something when ASU was starting the playoffs.

yoself09
February 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
I hear very little about ASU sports here in the Triangle.
seriously i hate it
I would love to have ASN broadcast from a station in the triangle
mabye in burlington
and aome kind of TV coverage would be nice

rokamortis
February 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
We have very good radio, print, and tv coverage in the Myrtle Beach / Florence market. I'd give print and tv about a 7.5 and radio a 6. We also get some coverage in The State newspaper out of Columbia and the Post and Courier in Charleston.

aust42
February 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Delaware football gets our radio coverage on a major classic rock station out of New Castle Delaware which is broadcast to the "tri-state" area (PA Philadelphia area, Southern NJ, Delaware). The announcer's not the best but the games are broadcast to a fairly big market.

I believe most games are on local cable in DE. I live in MD and I'm thrilled in this day and age that I can get the video feed of most away games on my computer.

The News Journal is our local paper and the Bluehens dominate football coverage on Sat's.

We're in the Philadelphia market. Delaware's somewhat unique in the fact we are the State of Delaware's biggest sports attraction where as most 1AA schools have a 1A team in their respective state that is the "alpha team". Montana enjoys this same luxury. Temple, Villanova and Penn are all in our immediate market but across the Delaware River it's all about the Bluehens.

Kill'em
February 23rd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Georgia Southern in Savannah:
Radio - 1
TV - 5
Paper - 6

JMUFortier
February 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
JMU coverage
Radio - 8 (JMU's strength lies in its relationship with radio, affiliates allow coverage to be heard all over the state and Washington, DC for not only football but basketball)
TV - 4 (We get games on regional TV, always averaged one per year, now it seems to have upped to about two to three)
Newspaper - 10 in Harrisonburg, 4 rest of the state (Richmond Times Dispatch will cover us with a write up...the rest of the papers will cover JMU depending on the number of players from that area and how they play)

Cobblestone
February 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
How would you rate the local media coverage your football team receives

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

FlyYtown
February 23rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Bigtime 10 for Youngstown State
We have about 6 TV stations here, who cover YSU every single day of the week during the season. The 2 main newspapers cover the games as well, not to mention all the 15+ radio stations.

Akron-Kent get no media coverage in their area, while YSU gets tons and tons of media coverage! They are jealous over there!

http://zipsnation.org//html//emoticons/screwks.gif

SoCon48
February 24th, 2007, 07:19 AM
seriously i hate it
I would love to have ASN broadcast from a station in the triangle
mabye in burlington
and aome kind of TV coverage would be nice

Tune in:

WKRX-FM 96.7 Roxboro Raleigh
WPET-AM 950 Greensboro Burlington
WDNC-AM 620 Durham

813Jag
February 24th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I think Joseph Schiefelbein does a great job writing about Southern in the Advocate (Baton Rouge) good or bad he'll tell the story that needs to be told.

SoCon48
February 24th, 2007, 07:26 AM
JMU coverage
Radio - 8 (JMU's strength lies in its relationship with radio, affiliates allow coverage to be heard all over the state and Washington, DC for not only football but basketball)
TV - 4 (We get games on regional TV, always averaged one per year, now it seems to have upped to about two to three)
Newspaper - 10 in Harrisonburg, 4 rest of the state (Richmond Times Dispatch will cover us with a write up...the rest of the papers will cover JMU depending on the number of players from that area and how they play)

JMU's website lists 5 radio stations in your network. Not sure 5 merits an 8 with no FM.

gvilleapp
February 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Living in Western NC, (60 miles from Cullowhee) ASU isn't covered much. Mostly WCU. The Asheville paper had something when ASU was starting the playoffs.
I never have understood why WLOS-TV out of Asheville does not give more coverage to Appalachian. I think their market stretches into the high country and besides there are quite a few alumni in the Upstate of SC and Western NC. WCU coverage is also weak, but better than ASU which I can understand. If it's not UNC, NCSU, or Duke they really don't seem to care.

I am thankful for www.goasu.com and www.journalnow.com so I can get my ASU sports news fix. I remember in the days before the internet having to go purchase a Charlotte Observer on Sunday mornings during football season to read any news about ASU. Then, maybe 1/4 of the time, there was almost no news about ASU in there! ASU folks in Winston-Salem should be very thankful for the Winston-Salem Journal.

BigApp
February 24th, 2007, 12:32 PM
WLOS coverage area does not include Boone and the High Country, Marion/Spruce Pine is about as far north as they get

No_Skill
February 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
NDSU Bison

I lived in Fargo for 7 years (attending school and several years after) and the media coverage in Fargo is overall pretty good, I'd say about 7-8. There is definitely room for improvement. I'd like to see more free on-line content. After seeing a tad of what Montana, Youngstown, and GSU can do...we can improve.

I currently live in Bismarck, 192 miles from Fargo (realize I do not consider this a huge separation considering there are only two cities between us, NDSU has the only DI program in the state, and many alum live here) and the media coverage here sucks, 1-1.5 max. I have written letters to the editor of the paper and the sports desks of the local TV stations pleading with them to improve coverage. I know I'm shouting at the wind, but at least I'm shouting. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

All I can say is...thank God for the Internet.

http://www400.pair.com/bisonvil/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl :hurray:
http://www.bisoninsider.com/ :thumbsup:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/ :bow:
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/ :D
http://www.gobison.com/ :nod:

200th post...and the peasants rejoiced...yeah

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 24th, 2007, 12:49 PM
In Shreveport...

Newspapers --- 8 (mainly Shreveport Times)
Television --- 5
Media -- 6

MarkCCU
February 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM
one accross the board. CHarleston doesn't cover anything related to CCU unless they are having a slow sports day/

EKU05
February 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
To the title of this thread I say....What local media coverage??? We're drowning in a Big Blue Sea.

Actually the Louisville Courier-Journal (90 minutes away) does a better job than the Lexington Herald-Leader (30 minutes away). The Richmond Register has really increased their coverage and does a good job for a smaller paper. They have a 13 page "Colonel Gameday" section on football saturdays now. It's pretty thorough.

As far as TV goes, the local Lexington stations do a mediocre job at best, but probably better than the Herald-Leader. The station that carries the "Danny Hope Show" does the best job for obvious reasons.

GAD
February 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Newspaper-10 (the Baton Rouge Advocate)
tv-10 (Wafb, Wbrz and cox)

Radio- 7 (SU gets no love, with the exception of baseball, from BR sportstalk,Jimmy Ott and Buddy Songy)
WAFB ch.9 and WBRZ ch.2 both do 30 min. preseason the week leading into the first game so they both get a "10" as does the advocate

89rabbit
February 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Newspaper is great hardly a day goes by without a story on SDSU athletics from the state's largest newspaper. Radio is great; we have broadcast deals for Football, Volleyball, Men's and Women's Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Soccer. TV is the one area that needs improvement but we are working on it. SDSU is in the process of negotiating a deal that would put 25 games on statewide TV (5 football, 10 Men's and 10 Women's Basketball games).

bulldog10jw
February 24th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Newspaper (New Haven Register) -6
TV (WTNH) - 6
Radio (WELI) -7

When I was a kid and even up to the '80's they were all 10's. Now it's a 10 for UConn on TV and in the NH Register. Yale coverage has slipped as UConn has gone bigtime. Radio is still good, but Yale used to have a Football Network across the state.

ngineer
February 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM
The Morning Call out of Allentown and the Express-Times out of Easton do a good job of covering Lehigh and Lafayette, and despite each being perceived as the 'home' newspaper of each school, respectively, I think they cover both schools credibly. I'd give each an 8.5 on a scale of 10.
Channel 69, WFMZ TV in Allentown televises most of Lehigh's away games and the home games are televised on local cable, Service Electric TV-2 and Fox Sportsnet. Lafayette is covered by RCN Cable.
Lehigh's radio coverage is on two stations covering the Valley 1230-AM and 1320-AM, ESPN Radio. Lafayette is on Easton's WEST-1400 AM.
The Philadelphia and New York media occasionally cover a 'big' event at either school.

Husky Alum
February 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Newspaper (New Haven Register) -6
TV (WTNH) - 6
Radio (WELI) -7

When I was a kid and even up to the '80's they were all 10's. Now it's a 10 for UConn on TV and in the NH Register. Yale coverage has slipped as UConn has gone bigtime. Radio is still good, but Yale used to have a Football Network across the state.

...and with Dick Galliette and Tom McCormack having passed away recently, New Haven media icons who loved Yale sports will never have their passion for Yale sports replaced.

Death Dealer
February 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Absolutely pitiful! We compete with Clemson and USC, so we get the "Oh, and Furman played a game this weekend" treatment.:mad:

carney2
February 25th, 2007, 11:45 AM
The Philadelphia and New York media occasionally cover a 'big' event at either school.

It always intrigues me that the Philadelphia Inquirer, a newspaper of national repute, does not consider either Lafayette or Lehigh as being "local," but will throw Delaware, Rowan (D-III in NJ) and even Rutgers and the University of Scranton ((D-III in, would you believe it Scranton, PA, a good 60 miles more distant from Philadelphia than either Lafayette or Lehigh) in that category.

Mr. C
February 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
To the title of this thread I say....What local media coverage??? We're drowning in a Big Blue Sea.

Actually the Louisville Courier-Journal (90 minutes away) does a better job than the Lexington Herald-Leader (30 minutes away). The Richmond Register has really increased their coverage and does a good job for a smaller paper. They have a 13 page "Colonel Gameday" section on football saturdays now. It's pretty thorough.

As far as TV goes, the local Lexington stations do a mediocre job at best, but probably better than the Herald-Leader. The station that carries the "Danny Hope Show" does the best job for obvious reasons.
I'll argue with you a bit here. I think Rick Bailey of the the Lexington Herald-Leader is one of the top FCS writers in the country. He has a wealth of experience. Now he has covered both Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky, so he isn't doing just EKU full-time, but I think he still does an excellent job. I've always thought the Richmond paper has been pretty good in its coverage, too.

Mr. C
February 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Absolutely pitiful! We compete with Clemson and USC, so we get the "Oh, and Furman played a game this weekend" treatment.:mad:
The one thing I have never understood about the Greenville News and the Spartanburg newspaper is how Spartanburg does not cover any Furman stuff and the Greenville paper never touches Wofford. It's like they think no one from Furman lives past the county line and vica versa.

97Torero
February 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I would put USD smack dab in the middle with all 4-6's. SDSU gets all the coverage regardless of quality. Heck, when USD beats them in all other sports with regularity, State still gets top billing. USD Just can't keep pace with the alumni base that State has in San Diego. Of course neither can Pt. Loma, UCSD or San Marcos.

citdog
February 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM
The Charleston Post and Courier (pronounced KOREA) The Souths oldest daily newspaper. MR.C is quite correct about Hartsell and Burger and Sappakoff is quite good as well.

Radio

TV

HIU 93
February 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
My local media (Washington Post, Washington Times, Local TV) gives my alma mater no coverage, but even worse it gives the FCS schools in this area absolutely no coverage either. On top of that, the MEAC schools in the area only get any attention when something bad happens. Howard has produced two starting NFL DBs in the last two drafts. Ronald Bartell, St. Louis, and Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis. Bethea had five INTs this year (his rookie year) and received more coverage nationally than he has locally.

OL FU
February 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
The one thing I have never understood about the Greenville News and the Spartanburg newspaer is how Spartanburg does not cover any Furman stuff and the Greenville paper never touches Wofford. It's like they think no one from Furman lives past the county line and vica versa.

Wofford's in Spartanburg:eek:

I gotta quit reading the News:nod: xlolx xlolx xlolx

The News covers Byrnes though:smiley_wi

OL FU
February 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Considering that we compete with Clemson, USC and to a lesser extent UGA, I think the news does alright. It is an unfortunate fact of life that we are located in a community with an MSA of close to 1M but the major colleges have captured the unaffiliated population. ( not surprising though)

FlyYtown
February 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Are you crazy a 10?

We have two newspapers. I open the Tribune up I want to read coverage on our basketball teams turney game tomorrow, nope none the front page is covered with Ohio State stuff, plus a article about Kent State. The vindy is no better. The T.V. stations lead in with Ohio State unless YSU plays a play-off game. Our biggest radio station in the valley is 570 and is very powerful. You would think YSU games would be on that, nope. The big station is reserved for Ohio State football. I give our media a 3, they cover us, byt they cover Ohio State 5 times more.

Wait a second here. The radio signal on 1390 can be reached in Columbus, just as 570 can. And they also have it on FM-106.1.

Then TV, every single one almost every day has YSU news, it doesn't have to be first, you can't help everyone loves OSU here....

Newspapers, Vindy does a great job covering them, but the Trib does blow. I just realized how bad it actually was after reading it today. They get a 2.

TRIB Thinks since they got a KSU Campus there, that means they cover them.. BS

FlyYtown
February 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
1390 is weak, I can't listen to the Basketball games here in Howland. 1390 comes no where near Columbus. The lower an AM station is on the dial ie (570) the more powerful the signal. Therefore a 5,000 watt 570 station at the beginning of the dial is wayyy more powerful then the 1390 signal at the bottom of the dial. 106.1 isn't anywhere close to 102.9 in Youngstown.

TV stations have Ohio State 1st YSU 2nd. I saw reporters in Arizona doing live reports for a week at the local TV stations. 21 was the only news station to go live from Boone when we were in the semis. The Vindy's coverage isn't great ethir. It is common for YSU to get bumped for Ohio State or some high school game.

You may want to go take some science courses again. It does not have to do with the number. Did you know Cleveland's WTAM 1100 can be picked up in 30+ states and half of Canada. Yes I am not kidding, its a proven fact and they are known for it. People as far south as Georgia can listen to the Tribe each night by tuning into 1100.

And I've driven to Columbus many times---1390 can be reached.

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM
The Charleston paper has a daily schedule of football and basketball games that includes SCSU.However,when it comes to coverage of the games I'll have to go with a 2. Rarely are there photos(Never color) and the writeup is usually shorter than this post will probably end up. The TV stations rarely preview our games but usually will have highlights if the game is held in SC or had been an ESPNU telecast. Sadly no Buddy Pough highliht show available in the Lowcountry without comcast which isn't available in all areas. BTW no MEAC standings in any medium period.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 10:42 AM
The Charleston paper has a daily schedule of football and basketball games that includes SCSU.However,when it comes to coverage of the games I'll have to go with a 2. Rarely are there photos(Never color) and the writeup is usually shorter than this post will probably end up. The TV stations rarely preview our games but usually will have highlights if the game is held in SC or had been an ESPNU telecast. Sadly no Buddy Pough highliht show available in the Lowcountry without comcast which isn't available in all areas. BTW no MEAC standings in any medium period.

SCSU is located in O'Burg. Why would you expect anything different from the CHARLESTON PAPER? One would think that the O'Burg paper or The State would be where one would look.

mebisonII
February 27th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Not surprisingly, it seems like it helps to have a ~150 mile buffer from the nearest FBS teams, judging by the relative happiness of people in North Dakota, South Dakota, UNI, and Montana. Not sure if that holds up for everyone who's commented, since I don't really know where most of your schools are, but that's the impression that I get.

TheBisonator
February 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I'll weigh in for NDSU, because my personal take on our media coverage seems to be different that other Bison fans:

Newspaper: Very, very good. The Fargo Forum treats us like the premiere team in the city and the Red River Valley, which is good. There is room for improvement (The Forum got a good idea on how they can improve game-day coverage from Muncie's paper for Ball State last year when we visited them.) We have 3 to 4 pages in the sports section on game day and daily articles about something NDSU football related, but Places like Muncie do 16-page game-day magazine inserts in the Sat. paper. The Forum could do something like this.

Radio: Embarrassing. Affiliates in only three cities, and two of them (in Western ND - Bismarck and Williston) don't have a strong signal. UND has better coverage than us.

Television: ATROCIOUS. Most DII schools have better TV contracts than the Bison do.

AppSteeler
February 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
WFNZ 610, the Franchise, located in Charlotte keeps getting better, and PackMan (Billy Packer's Son) has nothing but praise for Appalachian and the FCS atmosphere in Boone on gamedays.

His show is daily from 3-7p, througout North and South Carolina, and Georgia.

On Signing Day, Coach Moore, was the only FCS coach he had scheduled throughout the day with all the other coaches from the ACC and SEC.

He also has a Southern Fried Football Tour that goes to a big college football game of the week each Saturday and always manages to include Boone as his lone FCS stop. The rest of the Saturdays are with the likes of campus visits to South Carolina, Clemson, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Auburn, LSU and Alabama.

BEAR
February 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Are we allowed decimal places???

TV-0.5
Newspaper- O.5
Radio-1

If you say you are a Central Arkansas fan, most people say, "oh, you like the Razorbacks.." Not quite idiot. :bang: Apart from a casual remark by a local radio announcer who does Coach Conques' show, every remark is made about the Razor...no..I'm not going there. xidiotx

The Hogs suck, the Indians are a glorified D2 team and Tech is High School football part II. But UCA just can't get pub in this small market..so my overall rating of the media in this state is 0.7345765.:twocents:

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 03:01 PM
SCSU is located in O'Burg. Why would you expect anything different from the CHARLESTON PAPER? One would think that the O'Burg paper or The State would be where one would look.SCSU has a large alumni and fan base in the Lowcountry. Actually all over the state. SCSU is only 75 miles from Charleston. I would expect that all of the major papers in SC would give us more coverage than we receive. I'm not expecting more coverage than the Gamecocks,Tigers,"Charleston Bulldogs" or CSU as far as the P&C is concerned but at least print our conference standings and have a recap that's longer than one paragraph. A few color photos would be nice also. There very well may be more folks interested in SCSU sports than you think although we've lost some of our fan base to the big schools since the early 80's.

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 03:11 PM
SCSU has a large alumni and fan base in the Lowcountry. Actually all over the state. SCSU is only 75 miles from Charleston. I would expect that all of the major papers in SC would give us more coverage than we receive. I'm not expecting more coverage than the Gamecocks,Tigers,"Charleston Bulldogs" or CSU as far as the P&C is concerned but at least print our conference standings and have a recap that's longer than one paragraph. A few color photos would be nice also. There very well may be more folks interested in SCSU sports than you think although we've lost some of our fan base to the big schools since the early 80's.

In the thread about the teams you just can't seem to beat don't you think you ought to go over and post The Citadel for SCSU?xlolx xlolx

Is your SID providing the P@C with stats, a writeup, and pictures?

Bulldog87
February 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
In the thread about the teams you just can't seem to beat don't you think you ought to go over and post The Citadel for SCSU?xlolx xlolx

Is your SID providing the P@C with stats, a writeup, and pictures? You're right about our record vs "El Cid". No racism here but you all were incuded in our terrible percentage vs "PWC's". I believe we're0-4or 5 vs you guys. Somehow none of those games were in Oburg but no excuses. I still can see our QB toss a bad pitch to our RB from the 5 yard line when the RB could've walked into the endzone on the very last play of the game for the game winning TD in Hagood some years ago. Again no excuses. You won that one. The P&C sends a writer and photo guy to each SCSU home game. Our SID Bill Hamilton won the nation's highest honor for SID's a couple a years ago. I'm sure Bill sends a great writeup after each game. How they decide what to print I don't know.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Portland State in Portland (my opinions only)...

Radio---2.0
TV---.5
Newspaper---1.0

The FM flagship station does run a daily Viking coaches show on Wednesdays I believe and does carry all Viking football and mens basketball games, and really does a good job on them.

The TV and newspapers are surprising lacking. I gave a better mark to the Oregonian because they do have a beat writer for the Vikings, but he also splits his time with the "other small college" teams in the region. What I found really funny recently was when Jerry Glanville was going to give a press conference and most of the Portland TV and news writers did not even know where PSU does their press conferences at. I myself, knew about Walsh leaving four days before it was reported by TV and the Oregonian. They all can tell you everything about the Blazers, Ducks and Beavers, yet they don't have a clue about PSU athletics.

CopperCat
February 27th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Radio - 8.0
Newspaper - 5.0
TV - 7.5

Lately coverage of MSU has gotten way better (winning tends to help that). There are a couple radio talk shows in town that acutally do a good job at getting insider info and what not. Every game except for the first two OOC games this year were on TV, so MSU is doing its job in getting into the TV markets.

The newspaper however plain pisses me off. A couple writers try to remain objective and tell it like it is. But two other writers typically have a condescending tone to their articles when they are talking about the football team. Yeah, it sucks to lose, but find the positives in it and move on. I usually just go to the sportsnetwork to read up on everything. My blood pressure stays lower that way.