PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done in FCS?

bobbythekidd
February 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnnnnyMjCw

I love deception, but what is the ruling on this play?

walliver
February 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YnnnnyMjCw

I love deception, but what is the ruling on this play?

It looks as if the linemen were set and there was no movement in the backfield. I don't see how it violates any rule at any level of football.

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
I think that would be a false start. Does the center need to keep his body motionless until he snaps the ball?

Lionsrking
February 22nd, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think that would be a false start. Does the center need to keep his body motionless until he snaps the ball?

Perfectly legal play as I saw it. The center does not have to snap the ball between his legs. As long as there are enough men on the line of scrimmage and the linemen are set, there's no foul. One can argue that it's poor sportsmanship but not illegal.

GeauxColonels
February 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Looks good to me. By no means am I a rule expert, but I agree with Lionsrking on this one.

He has to have some motion while snapping the ball. I would assume that as long as his motion is due to him snapping the ball, there would be no false start.

GAD
February 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
As long as a snap is done underhanded it is perfectly legal "TOUCHDOWN!"

Tod
February 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
I've seen that before, it's great!

appfan2008
February 23rd, 2007, 12:41 AM
looks good to me!
maybe we should try that

Monarch Nation
February 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
I've never seen that before, but as pointed out the linemen were set, no illegal moves, ball snapped and no coaches or other players stepped onto the field from the sidelines, so it worked.

If the same team had a legitimate problem with the ball later, I'll bet they let the ref pick it up and take care of it.

lizrdgizrd
February 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Very sweet play. That's why you always play until the whistle blows. :nod:

bobcatalum05
February 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM
If I remember correctly the "swinging gate" can be run from a similar snap. So there seems to be nothing wrong with the play.