PDA

View Full Version : Glanville interested in PSU job?

JALMOND
February 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
When you have an opening for the head coaching position, it is interesting to hear the names bantered back and forth about who might get it. One name in particular has come up as a "slight" possibility for the PSU head coaching job, Jerry Glanville. Supposedly, the Portland media tracked former PSU head coach and current Hawaii assistant coach Mouse Davis on a golf course in Hawaii and he told them that Glanville might be interested in a head coaching job on the mainland. Glanville, though, supposedly never did return any phone calls to the media outlets.

My take, if it is serious, Glanville would be a good name for a program that needs a "name" in the Portland area. I highly doubt it will happen.

89Hen
February 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Have you guys ever worn black unis? ;)

BigApp
February 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
does/did Elvis ever perform in Portland?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
I've already been trying to get Mr. Glanville interested in FCS football before:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=80287

#110/120: Towson (CFI Rating 25.16)
Conference: Atlantic 10
How to improve: Finding a certifiable fan base and identity sure would help. Maybe Jerry Glanville’s old black-on-black for the uniforms might do the trick – something to get opposing fans scared of Tiger football. I know Lehigh sure wasn’t in the mid-90s when the Tigers were a part of the Patriot League.

He also was a color commentator for YES when they televised one of the Fordham/Columbia games shortly after 9/11. I don't know what that proves, but certainly he would give a lot of juice to FCS if he did.

And he could only help Portland State's CFI:

#120/120: Portland State (CFI 20.28)
Conference: Big Sky
The CFI Shows: Congratulations, Viking fans. You now have an official index ranking you as the worst fans in I-AA. I can’t afford a trip to Disneyworld, but what about a bus to Seaside, OR?

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Jerry applied for the ICON job back in 2004.

Sly Fox
February 22nd, 2007, 07:53 PM
Jerry denied any interest in the Rice gig a couple of momths ago. He insisted he's enjoying life too much on the islands to return for a low level FBS job. So I doubt he's interested in PSU.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Jerry applied for the SHSU head coaching job before it was announced that Todd Whitten would be the man...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
PSU says Jerry is interviewing for the job...

Personally, I think it would be AWESOME if Jerry Glanville became PSU's head coach. :twocents:

ncbears
February 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
He was also very interested in the UNC job last season too.

Peems
February 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
PSU says Jerry is interviewing for the job...

Personally, I think it would be AWESOME if Jerry Glanville became PSU's head coach. :twocents:

That would make an already great defense much much better. I for one hope it doesn't happen:D ;)

February 23rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
JERRY GLANVILLE SCHEDULED TO INTERVIEW WITH PORTLAND STATE
Portland State University Media Relations
The Portland State University Athletics Department has announced that University of Hawai'i defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville is a candidate for its open Head Football Coaching position. Glanville will interview with PSU officials on Monday and Tuesday.

Glanville has been the defensive coordinator and associate head coach at Hawai'i for the past two seasons. That experience has followed a long professional coaching career and, more recently, a decade in football broadcasting.

Glanville coached collegiately from 1967 to 1973 at Western Kentucky and Georgia Tech.

He became an NFL assistant coach in 1974, and was defensive coordinator for both the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Oilers. Glanville was the head coach for the Oilers from 1986 to 1989. He then became the head coach for the Falcons from 1990 to 1993.

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Very interested to see how this goes.

Not sure if Glanville being granted an interview is for publicity or if he has a legitimate chance at the position. Surprised to see them announce the interview date/times, so perhaps this is a publicity move...

JALMOND
February 27th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Very interested to see how this goes.

Not sure if Glanville being granted an interview is for publicity or if he has a legitimate chance at the position. Surprised to see them announce the interview date/times, so perhaps this is a publicity move...

Glanville is supposed to be in for an interview. PSU was going to hire the new coach to a short term contract, yet if Glanville is offered the job, it might be a longer term. If he is offered the job, word is out that he will bring Mouse Davis with him back to PSU. Davis was head coach at PSU in the early 80's and developed such QB's as Neil Lomax and June Jones.

The thing is that, if interm coach Lupfer is not hired permanently, PSU may lose most of its recruits and a bunch of returning players, regardless of who is the new coach. Rumor is that the job is Glanville's if he wants it, yet most are still thinking Lupfer will be named head coach by the end of the week.

Do we hire Lupfer and keep a pretty dang good team together, or do we take our chances with someone well known like Glanville? I really do not know.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Glanville is from the Mouse Davis coaching tree, so he would probably be a good fit for Portland State. Along with his defensive prowess, Glanville would almost certainly install the Run and Shoot again for the Vikings on offense.

From what, I've heard, he is a very serious candidate.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Glanville is supposed to be in for an interview. PSU was going to hire the new coach to a short term contract, yet if Glanville is offered the job, it might be a longer term. If he is offered the job, word is out that he will bring Mouse Davis with him back to PSU. Davis was head coach at PSU in the early 80's and developed such QB's as Neil Lomax and June Jones.

The thing is that, if interm coach Lupfer is not hired permanently, PSU may lose most of its recruits and a bunch of returning players, regardless of who is the new coach. Rumor is that the job is Glanville's if he wants it, yet most are still thinking Lupfer will be named head coach by the end of the week.

Do we hire Lupfer and keep a pretty dang good team together, or do we take our chances with someone well known like Glanville? I really do not know.
Doubtful you would lose a bunch of recruits. Once you have signed that letter of intent, you are pretty much stuck for that first year, unless the school gives you a release. There are a lot of hoops to jump through for an in-coming freshman to leave. At this late date, why don't you think Glanville would want to keep some of the current PSU assistants like Lupfer around? Or do you think Lupfer would just up and quit? Not the best of times to be looking for a coaching job.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Doubtful you would lose a bunch of recruits. Once you have signed that letter of intent, you are pretty much stuck for that first year, unless the school gives you a release. There are a lot of hoops to jump through for an in-coming freshman to leave. At this late date, why don't you think Glanville would want to keep some of the current PSU assistants like Lupfer around? Or do you think Lupfer would just up and quit? Not the best of times to be looking for a coaching job.

Too many uncertainties flying around in the department right now. The interim HC is calling the new recruits, keeping them updated on the search. The former players show up at the college basketball games demanding the interim AD to name the interim HC the new HC. The whole support for the athletic department by the PSU administration has been called into question by the Portland media, so much that no one really knows how difficult, if at all, PSU would make it for the recruits to honor the commitment. If Glanville was named the new HC, it would make sense to keep Lupfer on as DC. But nothing has made much sense in either the HC search or the AD search.

Really, the feeling around here is that PSU will not be able to put together an attractive enough package for Glanville to leave the islands for Portland, which will open the door to offering Lupfer the job. Either way, PSU is hoping to have a coach by the end of the week.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I can't see that former players would have ANY clout on the coaching search. Either way, I think PSU will come out of this with a good coach. I'd like to see what Glanville would be able to do with the program. He'd be an interesting guy to deal with.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2007, 01:15 AM
He would demand respect, both from the very biased and very pro Pac-10 Portland media, as well as the Big Sky conference itself. It is set up to be another interesting week at PSU. Just by him being a candidate has placed the HC search on the front of the Oregonian's sports section. I can only imagine what it would be like this fall if he was the HC.

By comparison, Walsh's leaving only made page 3 of the sports section.

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Unbelievable, but then we know about the Portland media.

JackTwice
February 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM
A few years back Jerry had his hat in the ring for a head coaching job at Northern State University here in South Dakota, a small D-II school with 24 scholies.

It seems every year Jerry's name pops up as a head coaching candidate somewhere. It makes me wonder how much of this is Jerry creating buzz about Jerry

February 27th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'd love to see him at the Big Sky media days this summer

Green Cookie Monster
February 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It seems every year Jerry's name pops up as a head coaching candidate somewhere. It makes me wonder how much of this is Jerry creating buzz about Jerry

It's all about Jerry, to the jingle of Everybody Loves Raymond.

He is a master of self promotion. Self is the key word.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
That could be true that Glanville is into self-promotion. But you can't deny that if Glanville coached at PSU that there would be an instant push of publicity in the program in a league which is dominated by Montana and Montana State.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM
That could be true that Glanville is into self-promotion. But you can't deny that if Glanville coached at PSU that there would be an instant push of publicity in the program in a league which is dominated by Montana and Montana State.

Also a big push of publicity in a city that is so dominated by the Pac-10 like Portland. Portland State had Glanville do a press conference yesterday that some of the media (some I'd be willing to be thought the only PSU in Division I was Penn State) had to figure out where PSU holds its press conferences. Amazing that the Oregonian, the largest newspaper in the state, is just across the street from PGE Park, home of the Vikings.

The interim AD wants a coach to be named by Friday and the only two scheduled for an interview this week are Glanville and Lupfer, the interim HC.

Peems
February 27th, 2007, 03:40 PM
im crossing my fingers!

spelunker64
February 27th, 2007, 03:51 PM
A few years back Jerry had his hat in the ring for a head coaching job at Northern State University here in South Dakota, a small D-II school with 24 scholies.

At least he upped the anti a little here.