PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern playing Hawaii 4th game of the season

Ol Blue
February 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I heard a rumor that Chuck South is playing Hawaii for their fourth game this coming season. Can anyone verify that?

Coastal89
February 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
If it's true I hope it's on tv cause i've never seen a team score more than 100.xlolx

Sly Fox
February 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Interesting. The guarantee money would have to be significant just to cover the costs of travel alone from South Carolina.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Nice to see that CSU has learned the art of FCS athletic department financing:nod:

Just don't go overboard like the dogs to the south:smiley_wi

Ol Blue
February 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Interesting. The guarantee money would have to be significant just to cover the costs of travel alone from South Carolina.

I agree

Lehigh Football Nation
February 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
A better question: If Chuck South at the number of equivalencies so that Hawaii's win would count towards a bowl? My understanding is that in the past they were not, but that may have changed.

If not, I doubt the Hawaii rumor is true.

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
How about this FBS teams get a 13th game if they travel to Hawaii. Will Charleston Southern get a 12th game for traveling there?

Ol Blue
February 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Nice to see that CSU has learned the art of FCS athletic department financing:nod:

Just don't go overboard like the dogs to the south:smiley_wi

I think they've also scheduled some other big money teams for quite a few seasons ahead.

This may be their best avenue for financing and upgrading their program.

What confused me about this is that Hawaii would have an open date to be able to schedule CSU this late in the year.

Does this sound right?

Sly Fox
February 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
The Bucs have been adding scholies the past couple of years so I am guessing they have reached the plateau in order to get a FBS payday.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think they've also scheduled some other big money teams for quite a few seasons ahead.

This may be their best avenue for financing and upgrading their program.

What confused me about this is that Hawaii would have an open date to be able to schedule CSU this late in the year.

Does this sound right?

I think ( don't know) Hawaii has a tough time schedule OOC because of costs which is one of the reasons that FCS teams that play Hawaii can play 12 games
:twocents:

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
a article from a google search confirms they are looking for a FCS team but doesnt specify eho the article is about 10 days old.

Ol Blue
February 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
a article from a google search confirms they are looking for a FCS team but doesnt specify eho the article is about 10 days old.

Do you have a link?

Maybe this .http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Feb/13/sp/FP702130338.html

UNHWildCats
February 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
yup thats it

Libertine
February 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
An interested party tells me that CSU at Hawaii is true.

aggie6thman
February 22nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
A better question: If Chuck South at the number of equivalencies so that Hawaii's win would count towards a bowl? My understanding is that in the past they were not, but that may have changed.

You can file a waiver if the school is close enough to the level. That is what TCU did for us when we played them last year.

Peems
February 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
How about this FBS teams get a 13th game if they travel to Hawaii. Will Charleston Southern get a 12th game for traveling there?

OL FU already answered it, but in case you missed it, FCS teams do get an extra game. Eastern Illinois did last year.

BigApp
February 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Hawai'i won't pay "guarantee money", they'll only cover the costs of your teams' travel. That's why the NCAA allows teams that travel there to play an extra game, to recoup potential lost revenue.

Ol Blue
February 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hawai'i won't pay "guarantee money", they'll only cover the costs of your teams' travel. That's why the NCAA allows teams that travel there to play an extra game, to recoup potential lost revenue.

So a potential butwhipping but then a nice day at the beach for the boys:eyebrow:

Sly Fox
February 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Normally trips to Hawaii are used as a recruiting tool. But signing day has come and gone. Perhaps this could entice a transfer or two for the Bucs.

CSU BUCS
February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
I heard a rumor that Chuck South is playing Hawaii for their fourth game this coming season. Can anyone verify that?

It's true.

so Hawaii in 07 and Florida in 09

CSU BUCS
February 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

CSU has been at the full equibalencie of 63 scholly's for 3 years now.

CSU BUCS
February 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Normally trips to Hawaii are used as a recruiting tool. But signing day has come and gone. Perhaps this could entice a transfer or two for the Bucs.

An interesting note......... I hear CSU is close to inking Jo Jo Cox.......... the kid who signed with Clemson but Pres. Barker wouldn't let him into school.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
An interesting note......... I hear CSU is close to inking Jo Jo Cox.......... the kid who signed with Clemson but Pres. Barker wouldn't let him into school.

:eyebrow: kinda makes one go :eyebrow:

BigApp
February 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM

ummmm yeaaaaahhh
http://static.flickr.com/28/37214523_b988e531aa_m.jpg

CSUBUCDAD
February 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Well, since it is private the academic history is rather mute if that is in fact why Clemson rejected him. But rest assured, Jay Mills will not bring someone in that he does not feel is of sound character regardless of how good they are.

CSU BUCS
February 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
The kid met the NCAA clearing house qualifications and had been commited to Clemson for 2 years. Pres. Barker declined him as well as two other Clemson recruites........ one went to North Carolina instead.......... If the kid can get into North Carolina he can get into Clemson......... I don't understand what's going on.

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
NCAA helps out on trips to Hawaii.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 02:38 PM
The kid met the NCAA clearing house qualifications and had been commited to Clemson for 2 years. Pres. Barker declined him as well as two other Clemson recruites........ one went to North Carolina instead.......... If the kid can get into North Carolina he can get into Clemson......... I don't understand what's going on.

I will admit that I don't know the story. I do know that Clemson's overall academic standards are vastly improved from what they were years ago.
It just seems odd. Clemson is not known for turning down really good recruits for academics. Things may be changing.

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well, since it is private the academic history is rather mute if that is in fact why Clemson rejected him. But rest assured, Jay Mills will not bring someone in that he does not feel is of sound character regardless of how good they are.
You are absolutely correct about Jay Mills. Jay must think there is an excellent reason for giving this kid a chance, or he wouldn't take a chance with him.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
Does Hawaii know about Chuck South? Beach will be pretty empty with CSU coming in! ;)

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/08/22/1124738996_7893.jpg

Ol Blue
February 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Does Hawaii know about Chuck South? Beach will be pretty empty with CSU coming in! ;)

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Original_Photo/2005/08/22/1124738996_7893.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx

gvilleapp
February 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
If true, I hope you have an open week after the game.

App went out there several years ago to open the season, lost, and never really recovered.

Libertine
February 23rd, 2007, 11:38 AM

App went out there several years ago to open the season, lost, and never really recovered.

Gville's got a great point. This trip could be absolutely brutal on your guys. You're talking about a minimum of 13 hours of flight time. That doesn't take into account time spent on bussing the team to the airport, layovers, security checks, etc., Then factor in the 5 hour difference in time zones. If this is an evening game, your guys will feel like they're playing an early afternoon game. If it's an early afternoon game, they'll feel like they're playing at 8 or 9AM. Then you have the return trip with the exact same fatigue factors except that it'll feel longer since you'll be jumping 5 hours ahead. I hope your guys have a chance to rest up before and really rest up after.

CCU2003
February 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM
Wow, having seen Hawaii play twice this past year I have to say this match-up makes no sense. Bumping up ones strength of schedule is one thing, (and CSU desperately needed to move up in that category) but flying across the continent to get you rumps roasted is a complete brain fart. Hawaii is going to be one of (if not the #1) the most potent offenses in all NCAA FB. I’m sorry I just don’t see you guys giving the warriors a good quarter, let alone a full game. Your D backfield will have never seen an offense like that ….let’s say that App State was playing …….they could learn and grow from the experience, but you guys will be blown away and not really have anything to show for it. BAD move, for both sides. If there is still time, do the logical thing, get out and go for a upper echelon SOCON or CAA team that can give you an educational – “teaching moment” not a throw the ball over their heads until the score is 70-0 then start running them over. Maybe in 3-5 years Clemson, the Gamecocks, Tarheels and/or Wolfpack can show you a thing or two, but CSU vs. Hawaii is bad now, will be bad then and I for one can’t even fathom the box score. xidiotx

UNHWildCats
February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
from what I have right now bot the week before and week after are empty.

Is there a time frame a team has to play games. like no earlier then and no later then? Perhaps they will try and play a game the last week of august then keep both weeks around the hawaii game open

CSUBUCDAD
February 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Nothing been officially announced yet, but I am thinking a little like you guys in that it may be more detrimental than constructive to do so. But then again, you have to make the leap sometime and Mills is tired of waiting around. We have Florida on the sched for 09 I think and I am pretty sure he is working on an ACC matchup for next year. Mills is a smart guy so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he has a long range plan this whole deal falls into.

BigApp
February 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
just play the game BucDad! It's a trip to Hawai'i for Christs' sake! And lemme tell ya, you'll be impressed with their tailgating!

If ya have 'em, use your frequent flier miles to save some cash

CSU BUCS
February 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Nothing been officially announced yet, but I am thinking a little like you guys in that it may be more detrimental than constructive to do so. But then again, you have to make the leap sometime and Mills is tired of waiting around. We have Florida on the sched for 09 I think and I am pretty sure he is working on an ACC matchup for next year. Mills is a smart guy so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he has a long range plan this whole deal falls into.

It's not a done deal but right now they're looking at Baylor for '08 and South Florida for '10

Florida isa done deal for '09

CSUBUCDAD
February 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Baylor would be cool next year. Would give me a chance to swing by the old stomping grounds in West Texas on the way home...sorta:rolleyes:

CSU BUCS
February 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Playing Florida and South Florida would be great exposure for recruiting............ all but like two of our recruites this year came from Florida.

Sly Fox
February 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
I've been hoping Liberty could get one of those slots with Baylor in the next few years. If you guys land one of them, congrats.

UAalum72
February 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
from what I have right now bot the week before and week after are empty.

Is there a time frame a team has to play games. like no earlier then and no later then? Perhaps they will try and play a game the last week of august then keep both weeks around the hawaii game open
Division I games may not be played before the Thursday before Labor Day

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
I've been hoping Liberty could get one of those slots with Baylor in the next few years. If you guys land one of them, congrats.

Baylor has a good background of playing FCS...and I think it's beneficial for any schools, so they can get their name out there in Texas and even make some recruiting visits during that time...

Baylor has played Samford twice (if I'm not mistaken), they have Texas State - San Marcos this year (played them a few years back as well) and SHSU in 2004.

MarkCCU
February 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Hawai'i? Really?

Sly Fox
February 24th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Much like Samford, we have a religious affinity with the Bears that in years past had us scheduling one another in a number of sports. Unfortunately we haven't connected yet in football. As a Texan, I'd certainly be thrilled to have my alma mater playing somewhere within driving distance for me.

citdog
February 25th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Wow Hawaii might beat the Baptist College at Charleston as bad as we are going to this season! REVENGE! CSU is going to have to do this to build a program over there in trailer park land (North Charleston). I for one think they have made GIANT leaps forward the last 2-3 years over there.

Mountaineer#96
February 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM

I was a member of that team, the whole trip melted our chances at a playoff berth that year. The trip is nice but the jet lag and distractions are brutal. The next week Coach Moore gave us Monday off to recover then we half arsed our way through practice and traveled up to EKU for one of the biggest ASU first half fall outs in history. It was 35 - 0 at the half and we were the ranked team. Needless to say most of it was blamed on our little trip out to the islands.

Goodluck CSU, but I think your AD just buried you guys.

Mountaineer#96
February 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS:

Box Score (Final)
Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Appalachian State... 0 0 0 7 - 7 Record: (0-2)
Eastern Kentucky.... 14 21 0 0 - 35 Record: (1-1)

Scoring Summary:
1st 14:47 EKU - PERKINS, Trema. 97 yd kickoff return (SMITH, Adam kick), , ASU 0 - EKU 7
12:48 EKU - GUICE, Matt 3 yd run (SMITH, Adam kick), 6-29 1:59, ASU 0 - EKU 14
2nd 08:45 EKU - RALSTON, Andre 33 yd pass from GUICE, Matt (SMITH, Adam kick), 9-73 3:36, ASU 0 - EKU 21
06:48 EKU - EVANS, Allen 68 yd punt return (SMITH, Adam kick), , ASU 0 - EKU 28
02:56 EKU - EVANS, Allen 15 yd pass from GUICE, Matt (SMITH, Adam kick), 11-59 3:10, ASU 0 - EKU 35
4th 02:53 ASU - FOWLKES, DaVon 22 yd pass from ELSENER, Eric (ROCKHOLD, Erik kick), 4-51 0:51, ASU 7 - EKU 35

Mr. C
February 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I was a member of that team, the whole trip melted our chances at a playoff berth that year. The trip is nice but the jet lag and distractions are brutal. The next week Coach Moore gave us Monday off to recover then we half arsed our way through practice and traveled up to EKU for one of the biggest ASU first half fall outs in history. It was 35 - 0 at the half and we were the ranked team. Needless to say most of it was blamed on our little trip out to the islands.

Goodluck CSU, but I think your AD just buried you guys.
I've got to disagree with your opinion that the trip to Hawaii "melted our chances at a playoff berth." You had plenty of chances to right the ship and didn't do it after the losses to Hawaii and EKU. How long does one game get blamed for poor play later in the season? I'll agree that the Hawaii game hurt you against EKU. But if you take away three special teams blunders (a kickoff return for a TD on the opening play, a botched kickoff return and fumble on the next play to lead to a short TD and then a punt return for a TD in the second quarter), the EKU game is a whole different game. But did that trip also cause ASU to play horrendously the next week against Morehead State (a game where Corey Lynch's interception with MSU in position for the winning FG and a long run on the next play by Richie Williams to set up a game-winning FG bailed the Mountaineers out, 24-21)? Did that trip cause Williams to fumble a snap when the Mountaineers had a reverse to DaVon Fowlkes set up that would have been a game-clinching TD against The Citadel? ASU played pretty poorly the first four weeks of the season, but how much was the trip to Hawaii to blame for all of that poor play? And even with that 1-3 start, the Mountaineers still would have made the playoffs and won the SoCon title with a win over Wofford later in the season (ASU lost 24-14 in a game where Richie Williams played a little more than a quarter, because of an injury). By the end of the year, ASU and Stephen F. Austin were playing better than almost ANY team in the country, but both were left out of the playoffs with 7-4 records. Probably the only team playing better than the Mountaineers at that point was eventual national champion Delaware. There was still plenty of time to have gotten it done after the trip to Hawaii. Did it put ASU behind the eight ball? Yes. But maybe that was just a conveniant excuse for a less-than-expected season.

Dabnus Brickey
February 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I agree with Mountaineer #96, CSU's AD and football coach are jumping the gun a little.

Ol Blue
February 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I agree with Mountaineer #96, CSU's AD and football coach are jumping the gun a little.

Perhaps. It is a jump in the right direction, though....it may make CSU more competitive and help in their recruiting in the long run.

CSU Girl
February 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Dabnus- you are just jealous CCU couldnt land the deal.

I can confirm this is a done deal. CSU will be going to HI. I also know they are negotiating for another year as well.

Mountaineer#96
February 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I've got to disagree with your opinion that the trip to Hawaii "melted our chances at a playoff berth." You had plenty of chances to right the ship and didn't do it after the losses to Hawaii and EKU. How long does one game get blamed for poor play later in the season? I'll agree that the Hawaii game hurt you against EKU. But if you take away three special teams blunders (a kickoff return for a TD on the opening play, a botched kickoff return and fumble on the next play to lead to a short TD and then a punt return for a TD in the second quarter), the EKU game is a whole different game. But did that trip also cause ASU to play horrendously the next week against Morehead State (a game where Corey Lynch's interception with MSU in position for the winning FG and a long run on the next play by Richie Williams to set up a game-winning FG bailed the Mountaineers out, 24-21)? Did that trip cause Williams to fumble a snap when the Mountaineers had a reverse to DaVon Fowlkes set up that would have been a game-clinching TD against The Citadel? ASU played pretty poorly the first four weeks of the season, but how much was the trip to Hawaii to blame for all of that poor play? And even with that 1-3 start, the Mountaineers still would have made the playoffs and won the SoCon title with a win over Wofford later in the season (ASU lost 24-14 in a game where Richie Williams played a little more than a quarter, because of an injury). By the end of the year, ASU and Stephen F. Austin were playing better than almost ANY team in the country, but both were left out of the playoffs with 7-4 records. Probably the only team playing better than the Mountaineers at that point was eventual national champion Delaware. There was still plenty of time to have gotten it done after the trip to Hawaii. Did it put ASU behind the eight ball? Yes. But maybe that was just a conveniant excuse for a less-than-expected season.

I wasn't trying to exactly say that, what I was trying to get at was that maybe if we played someone close to home and not made the trip out to the islands then travel the next week to Richmond, Ky. we would have had a better outcome at EKU. Thus finishing the season at a respectable 8-3 and in the playoffs. That is why I said us missing the playoffs was blamed on the first game. If you are a player you don't exactly enjoy looking at what you did wrong, but why.

rokamortis
February 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I can confirm this is a done deal. CSU will be going to HI. I also know they are negotiating for another year as well.

Jealous of a 12+ hour plane ride? Is going to HI that big a draw to help recruiting? We start playing FBS schools next year so no big deal - the good news is that they are within a comfortable distance.

Ol Blue
February 27th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Another article from Hawaii:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/02/27/sports/story01.html

Ol Blue
February 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I didn't realize that BCS schools had such a problem filling their schedules. I am used to UF where schedules are made a few years in advance.

Hawaii still hasn't announced a complete schedule....their fans suspect the AD is still having problems finding opponents.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS

PSUVikings
March 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I heard a or that Chuck South is playing Hawaii for their fourth game this coming season. Can anyone verify that?

Yep they do, Charleston Southern will experience their biggest blowout in school history on Septmeber 22nd

March 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Yep they do, Charleston Southern will experience their biggest blowout in school history on Septmeber 22ndPlease, no smack on the Discussion board. xcoffeex

MarkCCU
March 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
[quote=CSU Girl]Dabnus- you are just jealous CCU couldnt land the deal.

quote]

What a great comeback. Yea, we're jealous we aren't going to play Hawai'i. Maybe we'll just play our Furmans and GSU's and be happy. xwhistlex

MarkCCU
March 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Please, no smack on the Discussion board. xcoffeex

That isn't smack.

March 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
That isn't smack.Yes, "Charleston Southern will experience their biggest blowout in school history" is smack. xnodx

MarkCCU
March 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, "Charleston Southern will experience their biggest blowout in school history" is smack. xnodx

agree to disagree

PSUVikings
March 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, "Charleston Southern will experience their biggest blowout in school history" is smack. xnodx

Smack and Truth are two different things

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hawaii is having loads and loads of schedule issues...

Apparently, Hawaii is trying to pull of a three-way deal where they add an FBS school in addition to the FCS school they are playing (i.e Texas A&M and Montana State)...

That is what is rumored elsewhere, but Hawaii still has several spots to fill. The AD is taking loads of heat in the newspapers, from the Board of Regents, the fans and more...

Word is that it's likely to be a second FCS program...anyone know anything?

CID1990
March 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM
If anyone should know, Citadel fans should....

At this stage in CSU's football program it would be a mistake to play one of the big boys even if it was just Clemson or USC, but they are going all the way to HI? We are still doing it, and it is still a mistake for us, because we have been trying to rebuild since 1993 and the big games have hurt us, IMO. Your AD will become addicted to the "crack" of the big game payday just like Les Robinson has. Beware.

Then again, we need another school to take on the mantle of being the butt of every sportscaster joke in September-October, so have at it.

TexasTerror
March 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Then again, we need another school to take on the mantle of being the butt of every sportscaster joke in September-October, so have at it.

The Citadel is atleast known for more than their their athletics programs...

Is Chuck South known for much? In all honesty, never heard of the most southern Chuck until this board...

Dabnus Brickey
March 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Again, you grasp the obvious. We play Penn State, NC State, and Clemson and you have Hawai'i.

PSUVikings
March 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
that is a brutal schedule

Dabnus Brickey
March 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Oh and I almost forgot that playoff game we played in last season against the Mighty (defending and eventual) National Champions!!!

All props to the Mountaineers!!! You guys are good.

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Hawaii may play up to three FCS teams. Hawaii is so desperate for games at this point. I'm still clueless on how they get those three FCS squads. It's late in the game...
------------
Incomplete schedule doesn't faze Brennan
The UH quarterback is too busy to worry about scheduling
By Dave Reardon
[email protected]

Don't cry for Colt Brennan.

According to some, the Hawaii quarterback's 2007 senior season is ruined six months before it starts. The Warriors schedule looks to be filled with more cream puffs than a box from Liliha Bakery, including up to three Division I-AA opponents.

Or, left unfilled.

But Brennan said worrying about UH's slate isn't on his to-do list and those of his teammates. They're more concerned with weight lifting and other preparations for spring practice, which starts April 2.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/20/sports/story01.html

lizrdgizrd
March 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hawaii may play up to three FCS teams. Hawaii is so desperate for games at this point. I'm still clueless on how they get those three FCS squads. It's late in the game...
------------
Incomplete schedule doesn't faze Brennan
The UH quarterback is too busy to worry about scheduling
By Dave Reardon
[email protected]

Don't cry for Colt Brennan.

According to some, the Hawaii quarterback's 2007 senior season is ruined six months before it starts. The Warriors schedule looks to be filled with more cream puffs than a box from Liliha Bakery, including up to three Division I-AA opponents.

Or, left unfilled.

But Brennan said worrying about UH's slate isn't on his to-do list and those of his teammates. They're more concerned with weight lifting and other preparations for spring practice, which starts April 2.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/03/20/sports/story01.html
App still has openings!