PDA

View Full Version : 10 TEAMS TO WATCH IN 2007

tsutiger
February 22nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/

Predicting the top recruiting classes is even more trying than going through the top players, so what follows is NOT a list of the top 10 classes of the year. Rather, take a look at 10 teams that, for one reason or another, need production from this year’s recruiting class in 2007 and beyond.

Missouri State - The Bears took their lumps, to the tune of a 2-9 overall record, in the first year of the Terry Allen era. It might not get that much better immediately, but reinforcements come this year with 24 first-year players and six transfers in a massive 2007 recruiting class. If the group helps Missouri State become a contender and North Dakota State and South Dakota State join the fray, the Gateway Conference should find itself in position as the top league in the nation.

Hampton - The Pirates have emerged as the elite program in the MEAC for the past three seasons, but that status will be tested with the loss of key contributors like Justin Durant and Alonzo Coleman from a large graduating group of seniors. Joe Taylor’s team could use contributions from a few young players, and a recruiting class of 19 players that includes the Hampton area’s offensive and defensive players of the year could be integral in the Pirates’ quest for a fourth straight league title.

Villanova - With four consecutive years spent sitting at home on Thanksgiving weekend, the Wildcats have matched their longest postseason drought in the Andy Talley era. They gained some momentum with wins in the final four contests to finish 6-5 a year ago, and could get in position for at least one more successful run with Talley with a 16-member recruiting class that many pegged as the best in the CAA.

Lehigh - After a 6-5 record in his first season, head coach Andy Coen takes the next step in the journey to shape his roster and re-claim the Mountain Hawks’ status as the premier program in the Lehigh Valley by bringing in a 29-player recruiting class that includes players from 10 different states and five players on both the offensive and defensive lines.

Appalachian State - With standouts like Armanti Edwards and Kevin Richardson back for a run at an unprecedented three-peat, the Mountaineers don’t exactly need all of this year’s recruiting class to star in 2007. But the national champions did suffer some key losses on the defensive line, and could get some help in that area with seven defensive linemen in their 15-player recruiting class.

Coastal Carolina - Many observers (including yours truly) believe the Chanticleers have the resources to field a consistent winner and playoff contender in the FCS. With so many standouts graduating from last year’s playoff team, the 21 high school players (all from South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina) that comprise the 2007 recruiting class figure to play a huge role in the continued growth and success of the program down the line.

Portland State - The head coaching and athletic director positions are vacant, but the Vikings bring back a team that can win right now after finishing 7-4 and narrowly missing the playoffs last year. Before exiting for Army last week, former head coach Tim stocked the cupboards for a playoff run with eight transfers in a 22-player recruiting class.

North Dakota State - The Bison took FCS by storm with a 10-1 record last season, and figure to be knocking on the door of playoff and even national championship contention when they become playoff eligible in 2008. This year’s 17-member recruiting class could play a huge role in keeping the Bison going in the right direction as they compete for playoff spots in the future.

Tennessee State - The Tigers made a huge move up the standings in head coach James Webster’s second season, finishing just one game off the pace with a 5-2 record in the Ohio Valley Conference. They bring back offensive stars Antonio Heffner and Javarris Williams in 2007, and also pull in a 13-player recruiting class that includes three FBS transfers on defense and highly-touted freshman quarterback Calvin McNairl.

The Citadel and Elon - The Bulldogs and Phoenix are often pegged in the final two spots in the Southern Conference picture, but both programs have prospects for a turnaround with successful former Lehigh head coaches Kevin Higgins (The Citadel) and Pete Lembo (Elon). Higgins already has The Citadel on the upswing after a 4-3 finish in Southern Conference play that included four wins in the final five games last year, and will rely on a 29-player recruiting class in 2007 to continue to take steps forward in the future. Elon was 5-6 in Lembo’s first campaign, and the coach brought in 22 high-school recruits to try to put his imprint on the program even further.

89Hen
February 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
Villanova - With four consecutive years spent sitting at home on Thanksgiving weekend, the Wildcats have matched their longest postseason drought in the Andy Talley era. They gained some momentum with wins in the final four contests to finish 6-5 a year ago, and could get in position for at least one more successful run with Talley with a 16-member recruiting class that many pegged as the best in the CAA.
:eyebrow: Burroughs gone and 16 incoming freshman means they're a team to watch in 2007? :cool: I think not.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Rather, take a look at 10 teams that, for one reason or another, need production from this year’s recruiting class in 2007 and beyond

The above was the key sentence in this teams to watch list

89Hen
February 22nd, 2007, 08:31 AM
The above was the key sentence in this teams to watch list
OH. Mr. Short Attention Span only read the thread title and dove right into the teams. :o

In that case, YES, Villanova absolutely belongs on that list. They will have a really tough time this year IMO.

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM
OH. Mr. Short Attention Span only read the thread title and dove right into the teams. :o

In that case, YES, Villanova absolutely belongs on that list. They will have a really tough time this year IMO.

I did the same thing and thought, this one odd list. .....so I went back and re-read the paragraph.:nod:

Cocky
February 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
We belong on the list too. If our QB recruit turns out to be the real deal we could be right back in the playoff mix.

He has looked good in practice so far but I don't look too bad without pads or contact.

Jackluv
February 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
PSU loses their athletic director AND their head coach and are still a team to watch out for, i understand that they are talented. they are the transfer capital of the WORLD...but c'mon

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
I believe what he is trying to say is that these teams will need help from incoming 2007 recruits and transfers to acheive the same level they acheived in 2006.

Not exactly what he said, but that is the way I read it.

Catsfan
February 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Successful Villanova teams have always had a QB who can throw well. It will be real interesting to see who gets the job next year. I can't imagine the new freshman recruit (Whitney) would have a chance, it'll be one of the other 3 on the roster, Young, Miller, or Unitas.

jmufootball2
February 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
I find it hard to believe Villanova had the top recruiting class in the CAA but... who knows untill a few years from now.

Pard4Life
February 22nd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Love how Lehigh makes "teams to watch"... love it... : smh :

Pards need a performance, we need a QB and WRs.

YoUDeeMan
February 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Successful Villanova teams have always had a QB who can throw well. It will be real interesting to see who gets the job next year. I can't imagine the new freshman recruit (Whitney) would have a chance, it'll be one of the other 3 on the roster, Young, Miller, or Unitas.

Alert! Alert! There is a Villanova Wildcat fan sighting!

Quick, before this person goes back into a hole, we need to assign some resources to capture and breed this poster to ensure that AGS nova fans don’t become extinct! :smiley_wi

OL FU
February 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Alert! Alert! There is a Villanova Wlidcat fan sighting!

Quick, before this person goes back into a hole, we need to assign some resources to capture and breed this poster to ensure that AGS nova fans don’t become extinct! :smiley_wi

Nova can't breed. From what I have heard they only suck:o xlolx

BarefootApp
February 22nd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Threepeat after me: ASU.

YoUDeeMan
February 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
Threepeat after me: ASU.

Welcome to the board BandwagonApp! :smiley_wi :hurray:

Mr. C
February 22nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
With a name like Unitas, I think I'd go with him. But shouldn't he be playing for Towson at Johnny Unitas Stadium?

ChickenMan
February 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Nova can't breed. From what I have heard they only suck:o xlolx

apparently you have been well educated... :D

Peems
February 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
if you go to the website, Matt D. also recapped the 2004 "top 10" recruits. Only Cody Balogh of Montana was really considered the star of the class and he will get better.

bluehenbillk
February 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Villanova's class is the only one in the CAA that seems to stand out to me, pretty logical choice & this is from a UD fan.

JALMOND
February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
PSU loses their athletic director AND their head coach and are still a team to watch out for, i understand that they are talented. they are the transfer capital of the WORLD...but c'mon

The AD job has been opened since January, 2006 so that is nothing new as we went through last year with an open AD job. Walsh leaving does throw us in a bind, but we had a great recruiting period, that, if we make the right hire, PSU will not lose a beat. As for the transfer capital of the world, maybe if you throw in the JC's we are close, but what we get from 4-yr transfers is pretty consistent with all the Big Sky (including NAU).

Some of this years class will be expected to contribute right away. Walsh's leaving does hurt, but I would only knock us down to third because of it, behind Montana and Montana State.

tsutiger
February 22nd, 2007, 12:45 PM
We belong on the list too. If our QB recruit turns out to be the real deal we could be right back in the playoff mix.

He has looked good in practice so far but I don't look too bad without pads or contact.

Cocky,

For the 1st time since 99 the OVC is ours to lose. Our schedule is set up for us to win the conference.

Alabama A&M
Jackson State in Memphis
@ Austin Peay
@ Southern
FAMU in Atlanta
Open
@ Tenn Tech
@ EKU
Eastern Ill
Murray State (HC)
@ Samford
UT Martin

No Question, we have the best Quarterback and Running back in the conference. We have one tough OVC road game, going to EKU. Replacing Jacksonville State for Austin Peay was a gift. They went 3-8 last year and just lost their head coach. You guys basically have to go undefeated to get the automatic bid over us. I haven’t seen your 07 schedule, but you guys haven’t been real strong out of conference so I don’t expect an at large. Right now I see JSU 3rd at best.

If we're not hit with the injury bug we should host at least one playoff game. :hurray:

Peems
February 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
The AD job has been opened since January, 2006 so that is nothing new as we went through last year with an open AD job. Walsh leaving does throw us in a bind, but we had a great recruiting period, that, if we make the right hire, PSU will not lose a beat. As for the transfer capital of the world, maybe if you throw in the JC's we are close, but what we get from 4-yr transfers is pretty consistent with all the Big Sky (including NAU).

Some of this years class will be expected to contribute right away. Walsh's leaving does hurt, but I would only knock us down to third because of it, behind Montana and Montana State.

whos gonna get the job?

GreenDay17
February 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
whos gonna get the job?

My :twocents: says they should hire their DC, Greg Lupfer. If they do, PSU will emerge stronger this year than they were last season. All they are missing is some "tough love" and a little more "player accountability".

Look for PSU to be very strong if Lupfer is hired.

JALMOND
February 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
My :twocents: says they should hire their DC, Greg Lupfer. If they do, PSU will emerge stronger this year than they were last season. All they are missing is some "tough love" and a little more "player accountability".

Look for PSU to be very strong if Lupfer is hired.

I'd like to see Lupfer hired, if not for these reasons than for my :twocents: ...Portland State will have an AD within three months (hopefully). It is looking like this hire will be by the interm AD (more than likely). Keep Lupfer on as head coach for this year and next to get through the transition period for the new AD. It will keep most, if not all the recruits at PSU and keep us in the hunt for a playoff spot. Yet, at the end of this period, if the new AD does not like the progress of the football program, they can bring in whomever they want at that time. The new faces signed on with PSU with the understanding that Walsh and his system was going to be there and for this reason the interm AD owes some form of continuity for them.

AppStateold299
February 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the board BandwagonApp! :smiley_wi :hurray:

Maybe he just hadn't heard about the site before. I didn't hear about it at all while I was at ASU. So cut him some slack. Sorry we can't live up to your high standards.

ngineer
February 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM

Didn't you know 'brown' is the new 'black'??? ;)

Mountaineer#96
February 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
I like Coastal Carolina a great deal, and I think they are a very classy bunch. What I don't understand is why they are considered a team to watch with all of the talent that left b/c of graduation. I just don't see them reloading until say 2008.

YoUDeeMan
February 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Maybe he just hadn't heard about the site before. I didn't hear about it at all while I was at ASU. So cut him some slack. Sorry we can't live up to your high standards.

Uhhhh....there was a wink and a cheer on the end of that comment. :rolleyes:

And don't go circling the wagons...if you read the ASU threads here you will find some ASU folks saying that a lot of people are jumping on the bandwagon lately after wanting to say bye-bye to your coach just a few years ago. :thumbsup:

ASU is the two time champs and deservedly so. Enjoy the ride! :bow: :nod: :hurray:

LUHawker
February 22nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

I'm not sure how you are taking it that LU is one of the teams to watch, but I think this list represents an attempt to highlight teams where very good recruiting classes could push these teams from the solid and good category to the really good and exceptional category. Look at the teams he selected and I think you might see a pattern.

CCUBeachChicken
February 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM
I like Coastal Carolina a great deal, and I think they are a very classy bunch. What I don't understand is why they are considered a team to watch with all of the talent that left b/c of graduation. I just don't see them reloading until say 2008.

I think you may be suprised. Our recruitng class is a great fit for us. Though inexperienced i think this will be an excellent team. I pick us as most likely to win the Big South, and who knows, maybe playoffs. I think we'll be at least 9-2, but we'll just have to wait and see how things play out.

Cocky
February 22nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Cocky,

For the 1st time since 99 the OVC is ours to lose. Our schedule is set up for us to win the conference.

Alabama A&M
Jackson State in Memphis
@ Austin Peay
@ Southern
FAMU in Atlanta
Open
@ Tenn Tech
@ EKU
Eastern Ill
Murray State (HC)
@ Samford
UT Martin

No Question, we have the best Quarterback and Running back in the conference. We have one tough OVC road game, going to EKU. Replacing Jacksonville State for Austin Peay was a gift. They went 3-8 last year and just lost their head coach. You guys basically have to go undefeated to get the automatic bid over us. I haven’t seen your 07 schedule, but you guys haven’t been real strong out of conference so I don’t expect an at large. Right now I see JSU 3rd at best.

If we're not hit with the injury bug we should host at least one playoff game. :hurray:

We have 3 RBs that could start for anyone in the league. No way we are third, but TSU has a great gift in the schedule. But, TSU would have a good chance at winning with JSU on the schedule.

Maroons
February 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Cocky,

Alabama A&M
Jackson State in Memphis
@ Austin Peay
@ Southern
FAMU in Atlanta
Open
@ Tenn Tech
@ EKU
Eastern Ill
Murray State (HC)
@ Samford
UT Martin

Putting TSU on the watch list is a no brainer. Antonio Heffner gives me nightmares. I recall the EKU/TSU game just this past season where he wasn't getting any protection... pocket collapsing left and right... and yet he was only sacked once. With the possible exception of a few cornerbacks, Heffner has gotta be the quickest guy on the field any time he's out there.

While TSU was a surprise this past year, people will still be surprised if they make the playoffs. But they shouldn't be. TSU is as good as any of the Top 5 OVC squads. It should be a real dogfight in the conference this year.

I just hope we can take care of the OOC schedule and get two teams into the playoffs again.

Cocky
February 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
This should be the strongest year from top to bottom in the OVC since JSU joined.

citdog
February 25th, 2007, 11:05 PM
We are deep at Qb and return most skilled positions including the best wideout we have had since Scooter Johnson in Andre Roberts. We return Tory Cooper who led the SoCon in yards from scrimmage in 06. 4 out of 5 are back up front and the defense will be young in the Lb's but experienced up front and in the d-backfield. We will need some help from this class for depth but we don't have any deseperate holes to fill. I think 2007 is going to be an OUTSTANDING year for the Cadets!

CopperCat
February 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
PSU is definitely a team to watch. They've been a team to watch every year for awhile it seems. This year they're the team to watch, at least I think, because they have a new coach coming in that has to take all this talent and put it together. Walsh certainly had a system, and so will the new guy. Sometimes the system dictates that things have to be rebuilt, sometimes it means we're in the top25 from week one. I think alot is going to hinge on what the new coach does. PSU is dangerous, especially with that second string QB they had last year, ridiculous arm strength!