PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Hampton Univ. Football Schedule

Hampton86
February 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Okay,
We've heard the criticism for the past few years (and most of the Hampton Fans agreed) that in order to get the real respect, Hampton had to toughen up its out-of-conference games. Well, finally we're getting there.

What do you think?

Hampton University upgrades non-conference football schedule
Pirates face two top 20 opponents.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN
Daily Press
February 20, 2007, 12:36 PM EST
HAMPTON -- Those urging Hampton University's football program to upgrade its non-conference schedule have gotten their wish. Joe Taylor, HU's football coach and athletics director, said Tuesday that the Pirates have added 2006 FCS (I-AA) playoff quarterfinalist Southern Illinois to the '07 schedule.

The game, set for Nov. 17 at Hampton's Armstrong Stadium, will pit two of last season's highest ranked FCS teams. The Salukis (9-4) finished at No. 7 in the final Sports Network poll after winning a first-round playoff game, while the Pirates (10-2) finished at No. 11 following a 41-38 loss to New Hampshire in the first round.

Hampton's 11-game '07 schedule also includes a contest on Oct. 6 at defending Ivy League co-champion Princeton. The Tigers went 9-1 and were No. 18 in the final rankings. The Sports Network labeled the Tigers "The Best Team You Never Got to See" because Ivy League schools do not compete in the FCS playoffs.

"Our goal is to compete against the best," Taylor said. "Every year, we finish in or near the top 10. But to climb into the top five we're going to have to play the best teams we can schedule."

Some criticized the Pirates for playing a weak non-conference schedule last season. The Pirates three non-conference opponents included Division II Central State and finished a combined 9-20.

Taylor had hoped to bring two-time defending FCS champion Appalachian State to Armstrong Stadium on Sept. 1 to open the season. He said discussions ended recently when ASU decided to pursue a game against a BCS (I-A) opponent.

The Pirates other non-conference game will be Oct. 27 at Winston-Salem State, which was recently accepted into the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. The Rams are not yet eligible for the MEAC title, but conference teams are required to play them.

The eight-game MEAC slate begins with the '07 season-opener at Howard. The Pirates will play five home games in 2007, the first against Morgan State on Sept. 22, and the homecoming date will be announced soon.

Below is Hampton's 2007 schedule.

Sept. 8 – at Howard, Sept. 15 – vs. North Carolina A&T (in East Rutherford, N.J.), Sept. 22 – Morgan State, Sept. 29 – Delaware State, Oct. 6 – at Princeton, Oct. 13 – at Norfolk State, Oct. 20 – South Carolina State, Oct. 27 – at Winston-Salem State, Nov. 3 – at Bethune-Cookman, Nov. 10 – Florida A&M, Nov. 17 – Southern Illinois.

Sir William
February 21st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Excellent schedule. The Southern Illinois game should be a gem, leading into the playoffs. Run the table on the conference, and beat the Salukis, and Hampton may finally get seeded in the playoffs!

GannonFan
February 21st, 2007, 10:47 AM
Not a bad schedule - SIU and Princeton (the two OOC games they controlled) are good games - SIU could be very good and Princeton is certainly good.

On that topic that you had to schedule Winston Salem, how is the MEAC going to handle them when they are added officially to the MEAC - you're not going to go the SWAC of old route and mandate 9 conference games, are you?

GannonFan
February 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Excellent schedule. The Southern Illinois game should be a gem, leading into the playoffs. Run the table on the conference, and beat the Salukis, and Hampton may finally get seeded in the playoffs!

Uh, maybe you missed 2005 - Hampton has been seeded (they were the #3 seed that year).

3rd Coast Tiger
February 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Uh, maybe you missed 2005 - Hampton has been seeded (they were the #3 seed that year).

xlolx

slostang
February 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Nice schedule. How does Hampton look for next season?

Sir William
February 21st, 2007, 11:19 AM

That's right. Mea culpa.

Peems
February 21st, 2007, 12:31 PM
While I commend going out and getting a good schedule, how good is SIU going to be next year? they lose the one guy who kept em around...ARKEE!!! But in their defense each year they are supposed to be worse off but always keep it going.

Monarch Nation
February 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
I hope that SIU game is on television. That'll be a good one.

tsutiger
February 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
While I commend going out and getting a good schedule, how good is SIU going to be next year? they lose the one guy who kept em around...ARKEE!!! But in their defense each year they are supposed to be worse off but always keep it going.

SMH. I guess you can't please everyone.

Great schedule HU. :thumbsup:

89Hen
February 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM
On that topic that you had to schedule Winston Salem, how is the MEAC going to handle them when they are added officially to the MEAC - you're not going to go the SWAC of old route and mandate 9 conference games, are you?
I think that's already been mandated. :nod: There was a thread that showed FAMU's schedule for the next four years and they have all 9 MEAC opponents (plus the same 2 OOC's) all four years.

89Hen
February 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Don't worry tsutiger, by the last game of the year we will know for sure if SIU is any good.

Good job on the schedule HU! :thumbsup:

Peems
February 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
Don't worry tsutiger, by the last game of the year we will know for sure if SIU is any good.

Good job on the schedule HU! :thumbsup:

good point. by the time the game is played we will know if the match up is worth it.

GannonFan
February 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think that's already been mandated. :nod: There was a thread that showed FAMU's schedule for the next four years and they have all 9 MEAC opponents (plus the same 2 OOC's) all four years.

Ugh, why is the MEAC going down that road? Didn't the SWAC pull back from a 9 game mandate (or are they just talking about it)? Very few OOC opportunities means very little ability to affect playoff positioning - obviously that didn't mean much to the SWAC, but the MEAC has programs that are interested in the playoffs and a 9 game mandate just hurts that approach.

HIU 93
February 21st, 2007, 03:32 PM
Ugh, why is the MEAC going down that road? Didn't the SWAC pull back from a 9 game mandate (or are they just talking about it)? Very few OOC opportunities means very little ability to affect playoff positioning - obviously that didn't mean much to the SWAC, but the MEAC has programs that are interested in the playoffs and a 9 game mandate just hurts that approach.

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but that decision has not been made yet. Neither WSSU or NCCU are fulltime members of the conference at this writing.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2007, 05:56 PM
Excellent!

SIU @ Hampton...

Week before the playoffs...

A helluva non-conference gem right before the playoffs between two perennial teams. This game could be a play-in as it relates to a seed and/or home-field advantage...

Love it! Televise it! CSTV, ESPNU...come on now!

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2007, 05:57 PM

SWAC is going to seven SWAC games in '08...about freaking time!

I really hope the MEAC does not go down that road. Already loving the schedule upgrades we've seen at playoff-loving South Carolina St and Hampton...:hurray:

YoUDeeMan
February 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
SWAC is going to seven SWAC games in '08...about freaking time!

I really hope the MEAC does not go down that road. Already loving the schedule upgrades we've seen at playoff-loving South Carolina St and Hampton...:hurray:

Nice schedule upgrade by HU! Great game with SIU to close the regular season.

Don't forget that Delaware State has scheduled Coastal Carolina and MAC member Kent State!

Looks as though the MEAC playoff hopefuls will have some excellent OOC games this year! :hurray:

89Hen
February 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know where you are getting your info from, but that decision has not been made yet. Neither WSSU or NCCU are fulltime members of the conference at this writing.
WSSU has been accepted unless there's something you want to tell us...

http://www.meacsports.com/artman/publish/article_2300.shtml

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) will expand its membership to 12 members next year, as the league voted to admit Winston-Salem State University into the league beginning in 2007-08.

“We are elated to welcome Winston-Salem into the MEAC family”, said Commissioner Thomas. Obviously we think that WSSU is an outstanding academic institution with an excellent athletics program.”

JMUFortier
February 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
I can't complain about that schedule. Congratulations and good luck:)

BTW, I grew up in that area.:hurray:

R.A.
February 21st, 2007, 08:24 PM
Whoops... I didn't see this thread and I went and started another 2007 Hampton playoff thread...

Anyway, our top teams are scheduling and recruiting for sucess. There's much anticipation for 2007 in the MEAC.

Tribe4SF
February 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Let's hear it for Joe Taylor!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Hampton deserves credit for leading the MEAC schools in seeking broader, and better competition.

G.S.Green
February 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
This was well overdue. Win one of those games and you get some respect. Win both and you get mad love.

If Delaware State and HU both do well, dare I say the playoffs may contain two MEAC teams.

GannonFan
February 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
This was well overdue. Win one of those games and you get some respect. Win both and you get mad love.

If Delaware State and HU both do well, dare I say the playoffs may contain two MEAC teams.

Wouldn't be a first for the MEAC - FAMU had some good teams in the late 90's and A&T came along for the ride. What's DSU's OOC going to look like besides Winston Salem? A weak OOC for DSU has been a problem as of late.

YoUDeeMan
February 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't be a first for the MEAC - FAMU had some good teams in the late 90's and A&T came along for the ride. What's DSU's OOC going to look like besides Winston Salem? A weak OOC for DSU has been a problem as of late.

GF - DSU plays MAC member Kent State and Coastal Carolina.

R.A.
February 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM

Only 2 :D ?

G.S.Green
February 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Two would be good for a start. A win would be better.

Saint3333
February 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM

OL FU should have said finally "earned" a playoff seed. It is good to see them step up the OOC schedule.:thumbsup:

HIU 93
February 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM

That won't happen. We could win a NC and it would be called a fluke.