PDA

View Full Version : Hampton's 2018 schedule is a mess

bonarae
February 20th, 2018, 05:06 AM
No matter what your opinion is, the MEAC literally took the Pirates' schedule away. So they are forced to do a Liberty with so little time left. xsmhx

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/norfolk-state/football/article_693115a6-a808-5f5d-a81a-b0c27891cd01.html

kdinva
February 20th, 2018, 05:20 AM
A mess and a shame.....there has been multiple conference switches the past 20+ years involving FCS football schools (VMI twice), with nothing close to this mess...

walliver
February 20th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Apparently Hampton assumed they could move to the Big South this summer, but stay in the MEAC for football one more year.

This is the kind of thing that needs to be negotiated in advance. Sounds like very poor planning.

Panther88
February 20th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

Hampton is pushing for an immediate exit to the Big South Conference, ditching games scheduled within the MEAC.”

I feel horribly sorry for HI's fanbase as they endure the egos in their decision making positions.

Professor
February 20th, 2018, 11:25 AM
This is about the ego of HU president and the commissioner of the MEAC.

Lion1983
February 20th, 2018, 12:15 PM

I can't speak to either the MEAC or Hampton, but seems like a lover's quarl to me.

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 12:54 PM

This!

Anthony215
February 20th, 2018, 02:03 PM
What I don't get is neither party benefits from this lack of scheduling. Hampton will find games for this year maybe only having a 8 game schedule but it'll be a mixture of FBS/FCS/D2 and NAIA programs. As for MEAC programs that were scheduled to play them later on during the season they'll have to get creative with scheduling and as I keep thinking this really screws Norfolk State which has had a drop in attendance over the years as this was their biggest game home or away every year with both schools being in close proximity. Hampton biggest game was Howard so they are dealt a blow as well and will have to market their team to the area and students very well to get them to come out to see Monmouth, Presbyterian, Campbell and Kennesaw State smh.

WestCoastAggie
February 20th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I can't speak to either the MEAC or Hampton, but seems like a lover's quarl to me.

xthumbsupx

Accurate!

- - - Updated - - -

What I don't get is neither party benefits from this lack of scheduling. Hampton will find games for this year maybe only having a 8 game schedule but it'll be a mixture of FBS/FCS/D2 and NAIA programs. As for MEAC programs that were scheduled to play them later on during the season they'll have to get creative with scheduling and as I keep thinking this really screws Norfolk State which has had a drop in attendance over the years as this was their biggest game home or away every year with both schools being in close proximity. Hampton biggest game was Howard so they are dealt a blow as well and will have to market their team to the area and students very well to get them to come out to see Monmouth, Presbyterian, Campbell and Kennesaw State smh.

Folks don't come out like that for HU football, at least not this decade.

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 02:55 PM
xthumbsupx

Accurate!

- - - Updated - - -

Folks don't come out like that for HU football, at least not this decade.

The fan base hasn't been the same since Joe Taylor left

RootinFerDukes
February 20th, 2018, 03:20 PM
They're forced to churn out online degrees with little standard? Is that what you meant?

WestCoastAggie
February 20th, 2018, 07:51 PM
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/pilotonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/80/28053dc6-1580-51af-a57b-3fab953f9098/5a8cbbb0e27cd.pdf.pdf

The Conference levied a $250,000 fine on Hampton and forced them to give up all of their 2018 MEAC games for announcing their Big South move they way they did.

This was a message to A&T and anyone else thinking about jumping ship.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/meac/article_9c33ff0a-d703-568e-83ac-6fa037b8f417.html (https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/meac/article_9c33ff0a-d703-568e-83ac-6fa037b8f417.html)

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 07:56 PM
https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/pilotonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/80/28053dc6-1580-51af-a57b-3fab953f9098/5a8cbbb0e27cd.pdf.pdf

The Conference levied a $250,000 fine on Hampton and forced them to give up all of their 2018 MEAC games for announcing their Big South move they way they did.

Jump ship the right way and you don't have this problem. From what I've read is the Hampton had no prior discussions with the MEAC prior to announcing the move so essentially the MEAC powers found out about the move when the general public did. This whole thing has been a mess

WestCoastAggie
February 20th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Jump ship the right way and you don't have this problem. From what I've read is the Hampton had no prior discussions with the MEAC prior to announcing the move so essentially the MEAC powers found out about the move when the general public did. This whole thing has been a mess

The MEAC knew about this well before the announcement was made. Other schools were flirting with an invite too but Liberty pushed a last-minute blockade.

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 08:09 PM
The MEAC knew about this well before the announcement was made. Other schools were flirting with an invite too but Liberty pushed a last-minute blockade.

How do you think this thing will ultimately play out? From the outside looking in it looks messy. Like a while lot of litigation messy!

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I read Hampton's statement that was released a little while ago and basically Hampton is trying to be eligible for The Celebration Bowl this year without being a member of the MEAC

WileECoyote06
February 20th, 2018, 09:25 PM
It's ego driven but hey . . . decisions have consequences.

ASU33
February 20th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Hampton failed to meet the July 1, 2017 date to withdraw from the MEAC for the 2019 season. MEAC has no obligation to play Hampton for the 2018 Football season. Hampton made its decision and the MEAC made its decision accordingly. Welcome to the world of business. Get use to it.

kdinva
February 21st, 2018, 05:21 AM
Hampton failed to meet the July 1, 2017 date to withdraw from the MEAC for the 2019 season.

By now the whole world outside of Hampton U. knew/knows that "July 1" is the magic date for a one year conference move....

DeltaDevil662
February 21st, 2018, 05:58 AM
Pretty self-explanatory.

I feel horribly sorry for HI's fanbase as they endure the egos in their decision making positions. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Pretty much. I don't understand how or why people are trying to make it look like the MEAC is doing Hampton wrong when they (along with the Big South) are the ones that pushed to leave the MEAC immediately in all sports with emphasis on the immediate part. The MEAC is not supposed to do them any favors by making their transition easy for them when they are the ones that left on a whim from an egotistical president.

WestCoastAggie
February 21st, 2018, 06:39 AM
I read Hampton's statement that was released a little while ago and basically Hampton is trying to be eligible for The Celebration Bowl this year without being a member of the MEAC

That was just a bargaining chip. The real crux is the $250,000 and forcing to find 8 games.

The wanted to play a full schedule due to the official announcement, but the conference had been talking to Hampton and two other MEAC schools about this since 2015.

They also still have a payments of their $520,000 from their last NCAA tournament appearance they wanted to forfeit. That is standard m.o. for moves like this, but the MEAC wants more than that, which is a deterrent to those that other schools flirting with leaving.

But, that fine is also not in the bylaws. Re-read point 7 in the letter. It wouldn’t have been worded that way if it was indeed in the bylaws.

Hampton would’ve been okay without the Celebration Bowl berth, as their odds were stretched with the instillation of a new head football coach and their proposed schedule
anyway.

DFW HOYA
February 21st, 2018, 07:27 AM

Is Del State now on the clock?

Iridebikes
February 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM
No matter what your opinion is, the MEAC literally took the Pirates' schedule away. So they are forced to do a Liberty with so little time left. xsmhx

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/norfolk-state/football/article_693115a6-a808-5f5d-a81a-b0c27891cd01.html

From what I read sounds like either some really poor planning or someone's nose got out of joint. But all that aside, we have an open date out here in Cheney. Early September is a really nice time of year to pay us a visit. We need the game.

WestCoastAggie
February 21st, 2018, 07:53 AM
Is Del State now on the clock?

They are happy where they are, de-emphasizing their athletics budget. And honestly, after this bust down by Dennis Thomas and the MEAC, our schools are basically off limits. Unless, Hampton wins the impending court case.

dgtw
February 21st, 2018, 08:03 AM
Doesn’t this also screw things up for the MEAC teams that Hampton was scheduled to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
February 21st, 2018, 08:07 AM
Doesn’t this also screw things up for the MEAC teams that Hampton was scheduled to play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep

Derby City Duke
February 21st, 2018, 11:51 AM

Amazing what adult egos can do to those in their charge. Sucks for Hampton and Norfolk State given that this series is nearly 60 years old.

NSU is hosting JMU in a return game; our fan base travels well and may help NSU's home #s this year. Lots of alums in the 757 and would think local recruits might take an interest in a short trip to watch the Dukes.

Anthony215
February 21st, 2018, 02:41 PM
Amazing what adult egos can do to those in their charge. Sucks for Hampton and Norfolk State given that this series is nearly 60 years old.

NSU is hosting JMU in a return game; our fan base travels well and may help NSU's home #s this year. Lots of alums in the 757 and would think local recruits might take an interest in a short trip to watch the Dukes.

Maybe NSU can talk JMU into becoming a annual game. Both schools have large stadiums and if opening weekend should draw very well at the gate as a VA battle since Hampton is gone from conference and ODU will never play at Dick Price again since they're an D1A program now.

ASU33
February 21st, 2018, 02:45 PM
Maybe NSU can talk JMU into becoming a annual game. Both schools have large stadiums and if opening weekend should draw very well at the gate as a VA battle since Hampton is gone from conference and ODU will never play at Dick Price again since they're an D1A program now.

I would anticipate Hampton getting back on Norfolk State's schedule soon. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hampton back on the schedules of Howard and Norfolk State by 2020 at the latest.

WileECoyote06
February 21st, 2018, 03:14 PM

Not if JMU continues scoring 70+ points a game on them. That doesn't help either program. I know schools have to make money, but NSU would do better to play another FBS team rather than take those kind of losses to another FCS team unnecessarily.

RootinFerDukes
February 22nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
Our fan base gave our Athletic Director a lot of **** for scheduling a home and home series with NSU instead of just a single money game.

ASU33
February 22nd, 2018, 10:43 AM
Our fan base gave our Athletic Director a lot of **** for scheduling a home and home series with NSU instead of just a single money game.

I understand 100%. NSU hasn't been competitive for a few years now. Hard to get a fan base excited about playing a team that's a bottom feeder in another conference.

RootinFerDukes
February 22nd, 2018, 11:10 AM
I understand 100%. NSU hasn't been competitive for a few years now. Hard to get a fan base excited about playing a team that's a bottom feeder in another conference.

That and you're battling unrealistic expectations that every game be an upset of a ranked Virginia Tech team or it all doesn't matter.

kdinva
February 23rd, 2018, 10:57 AM
Here is an option, from footballscoop:

Kentucky Wesleyan (D-II): Kentucky Wesleyan College is looking to fill an open date this coming season on October 6, 2018. We must have a home game for this date but will consider traveling with quality guarantee. If interested, please contact Brent Holsclaw at [email protected] or 270-302-8373

kdinva
February 25th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Other MEAC news involving Hampton.....

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/hampton-university/dp-spt-hu-morgan-state-forfeit-mens-basketball-0226-story.html

...and, after reading this, Hampton U. officials should have just "manned up", and said let's move to the Big South, effective 7/1/2019.

http://hamptonpirates.com/news/2018/2/20/football-hampton-university-response-to-conference-transition.aspx

ASU33
February 28th, 2018, 02:07 PM
https://hbcusports.com/2018/02/28/meac-releases-statement-in-response-to-hampton-leaving-conference/

The MEAC responds!

walliver
March 1st, 2018, 10:47 AM
https://hbcusports.com/2018/02/28/meac-releases-statement-in-response-to-hampton-leaving-conference/

The MEAC responds!

Hampton must play a full 2018 football schedule against MEAC teams as a non-conference institution. (As of July 1, 2018, Hampton has declared itself a Big South Conference institution);
As a non-conference institution, Hampton would not be eligible for Conference championships, MEAC postseason games and accolades;
Hampton must play a full MEAC football schedule for the 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons unless their scheduled MEAC opponents agree not to play;
Hampton is not eligible for any MEAC revenue distribution after their departure from the conference on June 30, 2018;
Hampton must pay a penalty, which our Bylaws give the Conference the authority to assess when member institutions fail to follow MEAC policies.

They really make it hard to get out.

Big Dawg
March 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM

You mean they have a problem with playing an in-State FCS program in a two game series. Regardless of how competitive NSU currently is, that’s kind of messed up.

kdinva
March 1st, 2018, 12:12 PM
You mean they have a problem with playing an in-State FCS program in a two game series. Regardless of how competitive NSU currently is, that’s kind of messed up.

agree, if any Va. team can get a game in Tidewater, va (whether it is Hampton, Norfolk State, or ODU), take it. Tons of high school talent down there, and no longer do Va. Tech and UVa have any sort of strangle-hold on recruiting in that area (the "757").

DFW HOYA
March 1st, 2018, 12:40 PM
They really make it hard to get out.

"In this case, the MEAC realizes it doesn’t have any exit fee and is now trying to impose one.”

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/hampton-university/dp-spt-hu-meac-big-south-0221-story.html