PDA

View Full Version : Old FCS rivalry games that arent played anymore but should be

ASU33
February 15th, 2018, 04:15 PM
What are some old FCS rivalries that have gone dormant that should be played on a regular basis?

LUHawker
February 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Lehigh - Delaware

katss07
February 15th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Idaho is rivals with some of the teams up in the Northwest. Those rivalrys should be renewed this year.

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Boston U-Northeastern.

Photo below: BU at UMass, 1966.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Y9qaQxE0js/ViukQ7_9RII/AAAAAAAAEQk/5gn1ghAs-tw/s1600/UMass%2B66%2B4.png

GAD
February 15th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Southern vs FAMU
This was a fun/nasty rivalry
I tolerate Grambling
I hate, I hate, I hate J-State
But I can't stand those tacky snaggle-tooth belly crawling worms

VandalBasher
February 15th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Idaho is rivals with some of the teams up in the Northwest. Those rivalrys should be renewed this year.

Since going FBS, Montana has a four game streak we want to end and EWU, I think, has a three game stretch against Idaho. These will be fun games to renew.

I want my Stein back! I am not talking American Lit.

grizband
February 15th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Montana-EWU xcoffeex

ST_Lawson
February 15th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Most of ours are because we're in different divisions now. We played Northern Illinois a lot, but they're FBS now, Northern Michigan (DII) and Carthage College (DIII).
We did have a pretty good rivalry with Eastern Illinois before they moved to the Ohio Valley. We've played them 67 times...nearly every year between 1934 and 1997, plus a couple of earlier games and a few non-conference games since then. Our football series isn't a named one with a trophy or anything, but the basketball series between our two schools is: http://jg-tc.com/sports/basketball/eiu-men-wiu-touch-up-railsplitter-trophy/article_b320537a-c969-5be0-82d5-7ffd8cc92c2e.html

PAllen
February 15th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Most of ours are because we're in different divisions now. We played Northern Illinois a lot, but they're FBS now, Northern Michigan (DII) and Carthage College (DIII).
We did have a pretty good rivalry with Eastern Illinois before they moved to the Ohio Valley. We've played them 67 times...nearly every year between 1934 and 1997, plus a couple of earlier games and a few non-conference games since then. Our football series isn't a named one with a trophy or anything, but the basketball series between our two schools is: http://jg-tc.com/sports/basketball/eiu-men-wiu-touch-up-railsplitter-trophy/article_b320537a-c969-5be0-82d5-7ffd8cc92c2e.html

I know the feeling. Franklin & Marshal, Gettysburg, and Rutgers for Lehigh.

Sader87
February 15th, 2018, 10:48 PM
HC-BC will be renewed next year for the first time since 1986.

RootinFerDukes
February 16th, 2018, 06:15 AM
The Capital Cup hasn’t been noticeable for quite some time now.

OhioHen
February 16th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Lehigh - Delaware

+1

Mattymc727
February 16th, 2018, 06:36 AM
UNH and UNI....

Ivytalk
February 16th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Harvard- William & Mary. The nation’s two oldest schools going at it.

Harvard- Army (even though Army is FBS)

LUHawker
February 16th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Hofstra - Northeastern

Anthony215
February 16th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Lehigh - Delaware

This game should have been taking place in lieu of the WCU series which was almost always a blowout. While the Golden Rams benefited from the payday with inexpensive travel (no hotel and only 1 meal needed to be provided for the hour bus ride) and Delaware got to play inexperienced guys to get them game reps it was a lopsided contest most years and didn't help either team when playoff selection Sunday rolled around.

UNHWildcat18
February 16th, 2018, 12:09 PM
UNH and UNI....

That 2005 loss still stings. what was it 600-800 yards of offense 6-7 turnovers in the 24-21 loss? That UNH team would have won the NC IMO.

Smitty
February 16th, 2018, 12:22 PM
WCU vs App

Of course no longer played due to App moving to FBS. It also wasn't very competitive but the one win I remember was amazing... Student body tore the goalpost down and carried them to the center of the campus and then the chancellors house...

bostonspider
February 16th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Two rivalries in VA have seemed to disappear. VMI versus both UR and W&M. These are VMI's most played rivals, 90 games versus Richmond and 88 versus the Tribe. But the Keydets haven't played W&M since 2011 nor UR since 2015. Now it likely doesn't help that they have lost 25 straight versus the Tribe and 21 of last 23 versus the Spiders. As far as I know no games are scheduled for the future as of now..

kdinva
February 16th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Two rivalries in VA have seemed to disappear. VMI versus both UR and W&M. These are VMI's most played rivals, 90 games versus Richmond and 88 versus the Tribe. But the Keydets haven't played W&M since 2011 nor UR since 2015. Now it likely doesn't help that they have lost 25 straight versus the Tribe and 21 of last 23 versus the Spiders. As far as I know no games are scheduled for the future as of now..

we can thank the VMI powers that be over the past 30 years, for not keeping up with the rest of the world regarding strength and conditioning, nourishment (although these two areas are better now than in 1988 or such), recruiting budgets, coaches salaries, no nationwide recruiting platform....

dgtw
February 16th, 2018, 05:32 PM
Hampton-FAMU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model Citizen
February 16th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Dayton-Xavier
Drake-Bradley

PAllen
February 16th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Harvard- William & Mary. The nation’s two oldest schools going at it.

Harvard- Army (even though Army is FBS)

St. John's College. Just sayin'.

ElCid
February 16th, 2018, 07:16 PM
St. John's College. Just sayin'.

?????

PAllen
February 16th, 2018, 08:34 PM
?????

Oldest institute of higher learning on the continent.

Ivytalk
February 16th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Oldest institute of higher learning on the continent.
Nope. Harvard 1636. St. John’s 1696.

ElCid
February 16th, 2018, 09:55 PM

That's what I thought. W&M is 1693 as well. I knew St John's was old, my niece actually got her degree there or I really would not have known about it very much.

ngineer
February 16th, 2018, 10:20 PM
+1 Absolutely.---This was meant for Lehigh v. Delaware series to be renewed.

PAllen
February 17th, 2018, 10:31 AM

I stand corrected. They used to claim sometime in the 1620s as a founding date, but they appear to have backed off of that.

AshevilleApp2
February 17th, 2018, 01:16 PM
WCU vs App

Of course no longer played due to App moving to FBS. It also wasn't very competitive but the one win I remember was amazing... Student body tore the goalpost down and carried them to the center of the campus and then the chancellors house...

I was there... xmadx

Couldn't leave the 'Whee fast enough.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 17th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Delaware vs Lehigh should happen on an at least "consistent basis"; 4 to 6 times a decade with even home and homes.

Delaware vs Temple should ALSO happen if FCS vs FBS games are going to continue. Playing Villanova is great but the Owls have far more history with the Hens in football. Heck, we play Bucknell next year (2019). The Bison are one of our most played opponents.

It is a bit unique how a few of the longstanding FBS Northeast schools (especially Army, Navy, Temple, Boston College, Rutgers and Syracuse) have strong historical ties to current FCS programs.

ElCid
February 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM
It is a bit unique how a few of the longstanding FBS Northeast schools (especially Army, Navy, Temple, Boston College, Rutgers and Syracuse) have strong historical ties to current FCS programs.

We have a few of those down South as well. Clemson is something like our 11th most played opponent. S. Carolina is up there as well. I'm pretty sure Furman has played them a lot as well. The SC schools also had a long history of playing in state schools every year at the State Fairs. It also makes sense since Clemson was in the SOCON at one time. A lot of the ACC for that matter. They and USC still throw us the bone every few years and play us obviously.

katss07
February 17th, 2018, 09:13 PM
We have a few of those down South as well. Clemson is something like our 11th most played opponent. S. Carolina is up there as well. I'm pretty sure Furman has played them a lot as well. The SC schools also had a long history of playing in state schools every year at the State Fairs. It also makes sense since Clemson was in the SOCON at one time. A lot of the ACC for that matter. They and USC still throw us the bone every few years and play us obviously.
Same way it is in the Southland corner of the country. Lots of former FCS schools like ULL, ULM and Tx State have ties and even rivalries with teams like Nicholls, Sam, McNeese and SELA. Wasn’t that long ago that Texas St was a big rigal of the Kats.

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Was alluded to already but W&M-VMI specifically comes to mind. Tribe won almost 30 straight from about 1985-2011 - would like to see the Keydets at least get a shot to snap that at some point.

Citadel-W&M and Citadel-Richmond are also old Southern Conference rivalries with many meetings.

Navy against both William & Mary and Delaware. Hasn't played the Tribe since back-to-back losses in '87 and '91. Games with Delaware have become less frequent with the service academy commitments to scheduling the Patriot League.

What about Army-Columbia?

BU-Holy Cross -- GOD FORBID anyone in the Northeast / New England starts up or re-instates FCS football.

Serpentor
February 18th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Same way it is in the Southland corner of the country. Lots of former FCS schools like ULL, ULM and Tx State have ties and even rivalries with teams like Nicholls, Sam, McNeese and SELA. Wasn’t that long ago that Texas St was a big rigal of the Kats.

Texas State won't play any of the better Southland teams anymore because they're afraid of being embarrassed on their home field. They were starting lose more and more games against rivas toward the end, so they jumped ship from the FCS while they could still claim all-time wins over those other teams.

carney2
February 18th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Lafayette vs. Pennsylvania. Not very competitive (Penn leads the series 23-63-4, with Lafayette winning 5 of the last 7), but that's 90 games! Perhaps not a "rivalry" by the strictest definition, but certainly a tradition. It came to an end in 2013 with no explanation.

TheValleyRaider
February 18th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Colgate-Brown

A couple of former Baptists institutions used to play fairly regularly on Thanksgiving, but haven't faced one another since 1996. Overall series is 28-21-7 to Colgate, so relatively close.

Laker
February 18th, 2018, 10:38 AM
UN-Omaha vs the old NCC schools. What a shame that they dropped football and wrestling. They have done nothing since going D1.

ASU33
February 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Alabama State vs. Savannah State- The games hasn't been played annually since 2004 and hasn't been played at all since 2009. This game was played annually in Columbus, Ga and AJ McClung Stadium before sell out crowds from 1970-2004 but died out due to the rivalry becoming lopsided.

Florida A&M vs. Southern- Once was on of the biggest rivalries in not just HBCU football but all of FCS. This game would sellout on either campus and went on the road and drew 50,000+ in Birmingham and Atlanta. The two haven't met since 2012

Tennessee State vs. Alabama A&M-The two HBCUs of The Tennessee Valley haven't met since 2007. The schools are only 112 miles away from each other and once had a very heated rivalry that goes all the way back to the 1950s

Grambling State vs. Tennessee State- Once was the battle between Robinson vs. Merritt and was occasionally the battle between the two best teams in HBCU football. Sadly the two haven't met since 1993.

Florida A&M vs. Alabama State- This was once the annual meet-up in Mobile and would draw over 30,000. The game relocated to Atlanta in 1990 and grew to over 50,000 but hasn't been played on annual basis since 1993. The two were once SIAC rivals but haven't met since 2008.

BisonFan02
February 18th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I can't think of one for NDSU.

Lion1983
February 18th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I'm glad UNA and A&M are getting back together. It was a big deal for both schools back in the day. Only 70 give or take miles between the 2.

UNA and JSU was also a big game.

UNA and Bama State could be fun. Not sure if they ever played.

SDFS
February 18th, 2018, 04:41 PM
UN-Omaha vs the old NCC schools. What a shame that they dropped football and wrestling. They have done nothing since going D1.

They did make the Frozen 4 in 2015.

GAD
February 18th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Alabama State vs. Savannah State- The games hasn't been played annually since 2004 and hasn't been played at all since 2009. This game was played annually in Columbus, Ga and AJ McClung Stadium before sell out crowds from 1970-2004 but died out due to the rivalry becoming lopsided.

Florida A&M vs. Southern- Once was on of the biggest rivalries in not just HBCU football but all of FCS. This game would sellout on either campus and went on the road and drew 50,000+ in Birmingham and Atlanta. The two haven't met since 2012

Tennessee State vs. Alabama A&M-The two HBCUs of The Tennessee Valley haven't met since 2007. The schools are only 112 miles away from each other and once had a very heated rivalry that goes all the way back to the 1950s

Grambling State vs. Tennessee State- Once was the battle between Robinson vs. Merritt and was occasionally the battle between the two best teams in HBCU football. Sadly the two haven't met since 1993.

Florida A&M vs. Alabama State- This was once the annual meet-up in Mobile and would draw over 30,000. The game relocated to Atlanta in 1990 and grew to over 50,000 but hasn't been played on annual basis since 1993. The two were once SIAC rivals but haven't met since 2008.A
Before Southern vs FAMU ended it was the longest running non-conference HBCU rivalry played every year since the end of WWII

I remember FAMU vs ASU playing in Michigan and drawing 50K, two teams from states that touch the Gulf of Mexico playing in a state touches Canada

BisonFan02
February 18th, 2018, 05:57 PM

They could do that as a D2 school though too.....

Bisonoline
February 18th, 2018, 06:34 PM
They could do that as a D2 school though too.....

And D3

Laker
February 18th, 2018, 06:50 PM

They went D1 in hockey in 1997 and joined the WCHA in 1999. So yes, you are correct that they made the Frozen 4 but they were in D1 hockey when they were in D2.

NY Crusader 2010
February 18th, 2018, 08:01 PM
They went D1 in hockey in 1997 and joined the WCHA in 1999. So yes, you are correct that they made the Frozen 4 but they were in D1 hockey when they were in D2.

Correct. There is no Division II hockey. Schools with NCAA Division II athletic programs have the option of either playing Division I hockey or playing Division III hockey but not be eligible for the NCAA Division III playoffs. Examples of the first group include Minnesota State, Bemidji State, Alaska-Anchorage, Ferris State, Merrimack, Mercyhurst and Bentley. Examples of the second group would include Assumption and St. Anselm.

Schools currently playing Division I hockey but have NCAA Division III athletic programs are grandfathered in like John Hopkins lacrosse. Examples include Colorado College, Clarkson, RIT and Union College. Current Division III schools could not decide to move their hockey programs to Division I unless they moved their entire athletic program up to Division II.

WestCoastAggie
February 18th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Hampton-FAMU

Hampton vs The MEAC

Tuna85
February 19th, 2018, 08:36 AM
I'm glad UNA and A&M are getting back together. It was a big deal for both schools back in the day. Only 70 give or take miles between the 2.

UNA and JSU was also a big game.

UNA and Bama State could be fun. Not sure if they ever played.

Hey Lion83, had a program from last year and checked series records 1949-2016:
Versus
Alabama A&M 16-3-1
Jacksonville State 18-25-3
Samford 6-4-2
Alabama State 0-0
So reckon we have never played ASU. A&M plays them at Legion Field. Wonder if UNA and ASU would shoot for a neutral site (Legion Field) or home and home?

ASU33
February 19th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Hey Lion83, had a program from last year and checked series records 1949-2016:
Versus
Alabama A&M 16-3-1
Jacksonville State 18-25-3
Samford 6-4-2
Alabama State 0-0
So reckon we have never played ASU. A&M plays them at Legion Field. Wonder if UNA and ASU would shoot for a neutral site (Legion Field) or home and home?

Definitely home and home if we were to ever link up with UNA. The A&M game is a whole different animal though. I would love to go up to Florence and then have you guys come down to us.

ASU33
February 19th, 2018, 08:44 AM
A
Before Southern vs FAMU ended it was the longest running non-conference HBCU rivalry played every year since the end of WWII

I remember FAMU vs ASU playing in Michigan and drawing 50K, two teams from states that touch the Gulf of Mexico playing in a state touches Canada

Yeah I would love to get the back on the schedule. It's been 10 years since we've met up with FAMU.

Tuna85
February 19th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Definitely home and home if we were to ever link up with UNA. The A&M game is a whole different animal though. I would love to go up to Florence and then have you guys come down to us.

Being from the Huntsville area, I know ASU and A&M have a huge and historic rivalry. Legion Field is a good neutral site for that game and necessary to hold all the fans. No way that game could be home and home.

I'm with you, home and home. Good chance to fill the house when at home and great chance to check out the other teams campus and local flavor when on the road. Looking forward to the day.

OL FU
February 19th, 2018, 09:42 AM

First game 2018 is in Death Valley!

Laker
February 19th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Haven't the Holy Cross women moved to D1 hockey now?

walliver
February 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Clemson still flies their SoCon championship flag at Death Valley.

Will South Carolina continue to play The Citadel? Muschamp has specifically asked that the Wofford series be stopped after the next contracted game because he does not want to play an option team. Apparently, he still has bad memories from losing his job after his Georgia Southern loss.

ASU33
February 19th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Being from the Huntsville area, I know ASU and A&M have a huge and historic rivalry. Legion Field is a good neutral site for that game and necessary to hold all the fans. No way that game could be home and home.

I'm with you, home and home. Good chance to fill the house when at home and great chance to check out the other teams campus and local flavor when on the road. Looking forward to the day.

I wouldn't be shocked to see you guys on the schedule soon.

Lion1983
February 19th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see you guys on the schedule soon.

Who designed y'alls stadium? You know, just in case UNA ever decide to build a new one. How much did it cost?

ASU33
February 19th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Who designed y'alls stadium? You know, just in case UNA ever decide to build a new one. How much did it cost?

Price tag was $62 million and the design was done by Convergence Designs.

Go...gate
February 19th, 2018, 09:29 PM
Colgate-Brown

A couple of former Baptists institutions used to play fairly regularly on Thanksgiving, but haven't faced one another since 1996. Overall series is 28-21-7 to Colgate, so relatively close.

+1.

Colgate vs. Columbia, Princeton, Syracuse, Rutgers, Army and Boston University, as well.

NY Crusader 2010
February 19th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Haven't the Holy Cross women moved to D1 hockey now?

Yes, our women actually are transitioning to HOCKEY EAST membership. They were in a no-man's land for about 15 years, playing for the most part a Division III schedule as a member of ECAC-EAST, a D-III conference. Because of the Dayton rule, they were ineligible for both the NCAA D-III tourney and the ECAC Conference tournament and every year play in an Open Tournament with Sacred Heart, St. Anselm & St. Michael's to conclude the season.

For years, incoming recruits were promised, "we're transitioning to playing a full Division I schedule" but until this year it never happened. Happy for the program as they really are moving to the big time in women's ice hockey. Not going to be easy as there really is no "mid-major" level in D-I women's hockey. Our men are Atlantic Hockey members for which there is no equivalent at the women's level. It's basically "skate against Olympicans, or play glorified intramurauls. Your choice".

Laker
February 19th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Yes, our women actually are transitioning to HOCKEY EAST membership.

Thanks! Any idea why Sacred Heart men's hockey is in a conference and their women aren't?

Serpentor
February 19th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I can't think of one for NDSU.

Cass County Men's YMCA Health Spa Team?

Go...gate
February 19th, 2018, 11:38 PM
Yes, our women actually are transitioning to HOCKEY EAST membership. They were in a no-man's land for about 15 years, playing for the most part a Division III schedule as a member of ECAC-EAST, a D-III conference. Because of the Dayton rule, they were ineligible for both the NCAA D-III tourney and the ECAC Conference tournament and every year play in an Open Tournament with Sacred Heart, St. Anselm & St. Michael's to conclude the season.

For years, incoming recruits were promised, "we're transitioning to playing a full Division I schedule" but until this year it never happened. Happy for the program as they really are moving to the big time in women's ice hockey. Not going to be easy as there really is no "mid-major" level in D-I women's hockey. Our men are Atlantic Hockey members for which there is no equivalent at the women's level. It's basically "skate against Olympians, or play glorified intramurals. Your choice".

Still inexplicable to me why HC did not join the ECACHL. The door was wide open for you guys.

BisonFan02
February 19th, 2018, 11:58 PM
Cass County Men's YMCA Health Spa Team?

Spot the ahead of your boys....especially on D.

Laker
February 20th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately, if Augustana, MSU-Mankato or St Cloud State ever went D1 in all sports, they would either drop football or go Pioneer rather than try to work their way up to the level of the Dakota schools.

TheKingpin28
February 20th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Unfortunately, if Augustana, MSU-Mankato or St Cloud State ever went D1 in all sports, they would either drop football or go Pioneer rather than try to work their way up to the level of the Dakota schools.

The whiny brats at UM-Twin Cities would cry afoul and force them to stay "where they belong". The problem is, if for some, unforseen reason they were allowed to jump up, they would be forced to go the Nebraska-Omaha route. Get rid of football or don't jump up.

clenz
February 20th, 2018, 07:03 PM
There isn't enough population to support those as D1 schools. **** that a billion times over. The upper Midwest is already getting over saturated for D1 schools to population

Iowa/Wisconsin/Nebraska/Minnesota/South Dakota/North Dakota have less than 15 million people combined and something like 14 million of them live in like 6 total cities/metros

Twin Cities
Milwaukee/Madison
380 Corridor in Iowa
Des Moines
Council Bluffs/Omaha/Lincoln

Minnesota
Wisconsin
UNI
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
Drake
Iowa
Iowa State
Nebraska

All play D1 football. Add in non-football schools like Creighton, Marquette, UN-O, UW-M, UW-GB

You have more than 1 school per million people there. That doesn't break down very well in area that isn't over flowing in D1 talent in most sports. These schools aren't going to be recruiting D1 athletes. It'll still be D3 or D2 level kids being recruited there bu under a D1 label and they are going to ****ing crushed.

Add in 2 more Minnesota and 1 more South Dakota school would be asinine. Augie is an hour from both USD and SDSU. St Cloud is halfway between MPLS and Fargo. Not only that Augie has like 1,800 students. Why ignore USF if youre moving Augie? Hell, while we're at it lets move Upper Iowa D1 as well since they are the only D2 in the state of Iowa. Northwest Missouri State in the middle of nowhere Missouri? Sure, why not. Emporia and Pittsburg State? 100%

New conferences for football

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
MSU-Mankato
St Cloud State
Sioux Falls
Augustana
NW Missouri State

Non-FB schools of UN-O, UMKC and ORU as well

Upper Iowa takes UIU

UIU - Horizon League
UNI
ISUr
ISUb
SIU
MoSU
MUSU
YSU - Horizon League
WIU - Horizon League

MVC also maintains
Drake
Bradley
Evansville
Valpo

People need to stop dreaming about schools moving D1. There simply is no reason for over half the schools that are D1 currently to be D1. They don't really fit. The gulf between the haves and have nots is far too large already. Adding someone like Augie would only further make the bottom of D1 even more laughable.

clenz
February 20th, 2018, 07:35 PM
There are 351 D1 schools - 230 have published AD budgets due to being public. They range from 2 million to 195m.

There are legitimately at least 3 if not 4 divisions within division 1 as it sits now. Adding more schools should be the last thing we should be doing.

There should be a split of those with budgets of ~75mm and up, ~35mm-75mm, ~18mm-35mm, 10mm-18mm and anything below that shouldn't be D1.

A better way to phrase it

P5 and top quarter of the G5
Bottom three quarters of G5 and top quarter of FCS
Bottom Three quarters of the FCS
Bottom quarter of FCS should be D2
Non-FB schools as they fit into each bracket...most would be in one of the bottom two categories.

Derby City Duke
February 21st, 2018, 12:20 PM
Texas State won't play any of the better Southland teams anymore because they're afraid of being embarrassed on their home field. They were starting lose more and more games against rivas toward the end, so they jumped ship from the FCS while they could still claim all-time wins over those other teams.

This; Tx State has an empty windbag of a head coach. Was the co-defensive coordinator for THE Ohio State University (ahem...) before his two-year defense-less stop in Harrisonburg. He got his win over SMU in '15 because of the 1-man show that was Vad Lee. His positive contribution to JMU was that of energy to a program that had plateaued years earlier under Mickey Matthews. For a guy who supposedly had a defensive pedigree, our defense was historically bad -- and it was not the players for the most part. I only say that because those same players are the ones who have been on our defense for the past 2 seasons. It took Bob Trott about 7.5 games last year to get everybody on the same page, but from the 2nd half of the 2016 Richmond game, our defense has been one of the best in the business.

Withers loves to talk about 'bringing the juice' and 'party in the end zone' when talking about his team. He's right on both counts, but only 1/2 right in a positive way. The 'party in the end zone' has primarily been attended by TxState's opposing offenses.

He talks alot, but he's mostly a blowhard. I wonder if he liked his players after this past season, since he showed up on youtube (and other places) talking about how he really didn't like his players on his 2016 team.

fmftballmgr
February 22nd, 2018, 12:39 PM
Murray and SIU have started back up last year after a 20 year break. The other MSU major rivalry end when WKU jumped to FBS

The Murray - UTM should be bigger than what it is

Laker
February 22nd, 2018, 04:05 PM
People need to stop dreaming about schools moving D1. There simply is no reason for over half the schools that are D1 currently to be D1. They don't really fit. The gulf between the haves and have nots is far too large already. Adding someone like Augie would only further make the bottom of D1 even more laughable.

I don't want to go D1. Kato can't support D2 now- D1 would be an expensive mistake. Women's hockey is a bottomless pit and even men's hockey, which was supposed to bring in so much money, brings in nothing but more bills. However, there are people who want the move to be made, even at the cost of football. I have said many times that if MSU drops football they lose me as a donor. I go to football, basketball (men's and women's), soccer, men's and women's hockey (not often because of conflicts with basketball), baseball and softball. It is slighter further to go to Southwest, St. Cloud and Concordia than to go to Mankato.

Augustana certainly should not go D1. Tiny student population, with the state already split between USD and SDSU. But the people with money there have gotten big heads after winning the D2 men's basketball title. Rumor has it that their AD recently quit because he opposed the move.

clenz
February 24th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Watch what happens now that the Vikings aren’t rolling into town for a month every year. Helping pay for facility upkeep and upgrades. Mankato no longer has hundreds of thousands (more?) being spend there in July/August every year.

NY Crusader 2010
February 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Thanks! Any idea why Sacred Heart men's hockey is in a conference and their women aren't?

SHU women were D-I independent for the longest time while the men played in AHA. The problem the program faced is similar to the one faced by HC -- there simply wasn't an AHA-equivalent level in Division I women's hockey for the longest time. Only difference with our program is that we played as a member of Division III conference ECAC East but were not eligible for their title or conference tournament since we are a Division I school.

The closest thing to the AHA in Division I women now is the CHA with Mercyhurst, Robert Morris, Syracuse, Lindenwood, RIT and Penn State. You'd think if HC and SHU had joined that there would be enough teams to play under an AHA banner. Not sure why this never happened. HC lucked out in that we got a surprising (in my opinion) invite to Hockey East for the women. Funny that all these years our women's team that played at a much lower level than our men will now be playing at THE HIGHEST level while we still pine for a Hockey East invite on the men's side.

At the moment, HC and SHU are both in a Division I conference called NEWHA along with St. Anselm (NH), Franklin Pierce (NH), St. Michael's (VT) and Post (CT). League does not have an NCAA autobid. With Holy Cross leaving for Hockey East, maybe this conference will merge with the CHA? Who knows.

NY Crusader 2010
February 25th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Still inexplicable to me why HC did not join the ECACHL. The door was wide open for you guys.

I would love for Holy Cross hockey to be in the ECACHL, even more so than Hockey East. Natural rivalries with Colgate and the New England Ivies there. While I was not yet a student or fan of Crusader athletics at the time, my understanding was the we were denied membership in 2004 by way of a vote. The way it was explained to me by elder HC alum was that it was between Holy Cross and Quinnipiac to take Vermont's spot in the conference once they left for Hockey East. I was told that QU was admitted by one vote over Holy Cross due to their pending plans for a new multi-purpose facility while we spun our wheels with regards to plans for a refurbished rink. I was also told that Colgate voted for Quinnipiac.

TheValleyRaider
February 25th, 2018, 10:33 PM
I would love for Holy Cross hockey to be in the ECACHL, even more so than Hockey East. Natural rivalries with Colgate and the New England Ivies there. While I was not yet a student or fan of Crusader athletics at the time, my understanding was the we were denied membership in 2004 by way of a vote. The way it was explained to me by elder HC alum was that it was between Holy Cross and Quinnipiac to take Vermont's spot in the conference once they left for Hockey East. I was told that QU was admitted by one vote over Holy Cross due to their pending plans for a new multi-purpose facility while we spun our wheels with regards to plans for a refurbished rink. I was also told that Colgate voted for Quinnipiac.

The rink was part of it, but from what I understand, the women's team being D-III was also a sticking point. The conference wanted to get all 12 members in for both men's and women's. QU had their women ready to go, and HC wasn't ready/didn't want to do that at the time.

It wasn't really one or the other (I believe), but both factors in combination

NY Crusader 2010
February 26th, 2018, 10:20 AM
The rink was part of it, but from what I understand, the women's team being D-III was also a sticking point. The conference wanted to get all 12 members in for both men's and women's. QU had their women ready to go, and HC wasn't ready/didn't want to do that at the time.

It wasn't really one or the other (I believe), but both factors in combination

Such a Holy Cross move. And now of course the women just took a quantum leap to Hockey East while our men's team remains the playoff choke artist of the AHA. While being in a conference with UMass, Northeastern, BU, BC and Providence would be pretty cool, I see Holy Cross becoming the academic Merrimack in HE if we ever get our men's team invited there. I would actually love for Quinnipiac to take Notre Dame's old spot there and for us to go to the ECACHL.

UNHWildcat18
February 26th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Such a Holy Cross move. And now of course the women just took a quantum leap to Hockey East while our men's team remains the playoff choke artist of the AHA. While being in a conference with UMass, Northeastern, BU, BC and Providence would be pretty cool, I see Holy Cross becoming the academic Merrimack in HE if we ever get our men's team invited there. I would actually love for Quinnipiac to take Notre Dame's old spot there and for us to go to the ECACHL.

It's off topic but I agree, I wish that QU was in AE for sports and HE for hockey.

Hell they could stay at 11 by replacing Merrimack for QU and I'd still be happy. Would prefer that actually

paward
March 1st, 2018, 08:17 PM

I think the pageantry of the March on the field at VMI IS SIMPLY AWESOME!

GAD
March 2nd, 2018, 02:46 PM
Not a rivalry but I'd like to see those Classics played in California and NY/NJ make a come back

grayghost06
March 5th, 2018, 02:14 AM

VMI will play at Virginia Tech in 2026. They have played 79 times overall, w/ most of them being on Thanksgiving day in neutral Roanoke. There was a time when these two rivals playing was THE game in Virginia. Used to be called The Military Classic of the South (way before the Citadel version) back when Tech was still known as VPI. After WWII, Tech started getting bigger and kept growing. VMI kinda stayed the same small size, eventually being relegated to I-AA in 1982. They last played VT in 1984. VMI last beat the Hokies in 1981, which is also the last time they had a winning season. Sadly, VMI has never had a winning season as a I-AA/FCS team (36 yrs). Wish it wasn't so. I have a lot of respect for those guys.