PDA

View Full Version : Travel Question hope someone can answer this.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ok guys I have a question that I believe can be answered by those on AGS. Are any of you aware of any conference's in FCS that require as part of membership to a conference by any one school that said school must help in existing conference members travel expenses? This is above and beyond any other financial considerations? I'm not aware of any conference that has asked/requested or made as part of membership a requirement that one university be paying part of the travel cost for in conference games that would normally be paid for by the traveling team period.
Ok now my own comments on this development.
I just find this development hard to swallow. For those who haven't heard during the meetings for the Gateway the representatives for the existing members of the Gateway asked if NDSU/SDSU would be willing to pay for some of the travel of the Gateway teams to come to Fargo and Brookings? Do these people think Fargo and Brookings are in Alaska or Hawaii? Is the Gateway and it's members that strapped that they can't pay there own travel? I guess if our representatives cave to that type of pressure I would be disappointed, I'd rather stay in the GWFC and continue to see it develop. What happens to the Gateway in a few years if a couple of the Cash Strapped universities just say were dropping football, now the Gateway without NDSU/SDSU will be looking to get more members or else those schools will be looking for another conference or play as indy's. Sorry but for me the Gateway if this is a requirement for membership has lost its luster for me anyway, I'd rather stay and play schools who aren't out looking for ############ Edit by myself. Ok so the comment was pretty harsh but I'm still not so sure it wasn't qualified just maybe could have been better stated..:nonono2:

AggiePride
February 19th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Well you guys are like in the north pole and there is no airport for 1000 miles, and you're really far. It's cold too.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hang on I'll respond to your post as soon as I get done feeding my polar bear.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Is that what they call dinner with the wife these days?xlolx

Bison05
February 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM

I agree with the use of Polar Bears. Much more reliable source of transportation than horses to pull the sleighs when the weather drops to -40 degrees or lower.:D

Bison05
February 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM

They'd be better looking than a citadel girl:p

NDSUFREAK
February 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
We should be getting paved roads soon so that you other folk can adapt faster to the dirt road travel we have up here.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
They'd be better looking than a citadel girl:p

That is a TRUE STATEMENT! I HATE THAT MY SCHOOL GOT RUINED! It's the only one I got though right or wrong!

February 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ok guys I have a question that I believe can be answered by those on AGS. Are any of you aware of any conference's in FCS that require as part of membership to a conference by any one school that said school must help in existing conference members travel expenses?... For those who haven't heard during the meetings for the Gateway the representatives for the existing members of the Gateway asked if NDSU/SDSU would be willing to pay for some of the travel of the Gateway teams to come to Fargo and Brookings? Do these people think Fargo and Brookings are in Alaska or Hawaii? Is the Gateway and it's members that strapped that they can't pay there own travel? I guess if our representatives cave to that type of pressure I would be disappointed, I'd rather stay in the GWFC and continue to see it develop. What happens to the Gateway in a few years if a couple of the Cash Strapped universities just say were dropping football, now the Gateway without NDSU/SDSU will be looking to get more members or else those schools will be looking for another conference or play as indy's. Sorry but for me the Gateway if this is a requirement for membership has lost its luster for me anyway, I'd rather stay and play schools who aren't out looking for food Stamps or Travel vouchers.:nonono2:1. The only conferences I can think of that might have a "help the conference opponent with travel expenses" are the Big Sky, the Great West and the PFL. I haven't heard of that in any of those.
2. Nothing is official about this in the Gateway.
3. Fargo and Brookings are very far away from some GFC schools. Over a 1,000 miles in one case and nearly 1K in another.
4. Speculation of being cash-strapped is just that. Let's see, if the XDSUs were to join the Gateway wouldn't their travel expenses be greatly reduced and the Gateway schools travel expenses be greatly impacted?
5. The demise of the GFC is being greatly exagerrated.
6. That's right, "IF this is a requirement for membership" is the right way to put it.
7. Schools "out looking for food stamps"? That's an undeserved low-blow.

Bottom line, don't get your undies in a Bison-Bunch until the word is official. Prematurely slamming your POSSIBLE new conference/conference mates looks bad.

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
1. The only conferences I can think of that might have a "help the conference opponent with travel expenses" are the Big Sky, the Great West and the PFL. I haven't heard of that in any of those.
3. Fargo and Brookings are very far away from some GFC schools. Over a 1,000 miles in one case and nearly 1K in another.
4. Speculation of being cash-strapped is just that. Let's see, if the XDSUs were to join the Gateway wouldn't their travel expenses be greatly reduced and the Gateway schools travel expenses be greatly impacted?
6. That's right, "IF this is a requirement for membership" is the right way to put it.

Bottom line, don't get your undies in a Bison-Bunch until the word is official. Prematurely slamming your POSSIBLE new conference/conference mates looks bad.

I will address some of your comments

"2. Nothing is official about this in the Gateway."

It was officially discussed and reported on.

"3. Fargo and Brookings are very far away from some GFC schools. Over a 1,000 miles in one case and nearly 1K in another."

Does not NDSU and SDSU have to travel to those same schools and pay the same travel costs when we go? I believe that would be yes and nobody is helping to pay our way.

Not really as we already travel by air to all our conference foes except SDSU and that would change in a couple years with the addition of the UXD's. The speculating on being cash strapped by these universities isn't just speculation it's based on comments made by some representatives of some of the schools in that conference.

I will post a link which includes Steve Hallstroms's comments (Steve is WDAY's Sports Director) and WDAY is NDSU's flagship media outlet.

Here's the link to Steve's comments and I apologize if you have to wade through a bunch of garbage to get to them but they are there if you care to read them.
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?page=comments&blog=6426

FargoBison
February 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
1. The only conferences I can think of that might have a "help the conference opponent with travel expenses" are the Big Sky, the Great West and the PFL. I haven't heard of that in any of those.

I agree Ralph, people are going crazy because they heard some speculation about what is going on. You guys have to give it some time before jumping to conclusions, nobody said we were going to be added today and there is no reason at all to bash the Gateway over a bunch of speculation.

February 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM
...I guess you missed the point that this is not official and set in stone. Discussing something doesn't make it official. Who said it wasn't discussed that reciprocal consideration would be part of a deal? You skipped mentioning that the Gateway schools travel expenses would be greatly impacted. "being cash strapped" doesn't equate to your smear of "out looking for food stamps" does it? Calm down until something concrete is announced. :twocents:

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Stick your head out of the igloo breathe and then go have a drink and relax!

BisonBacker
February 19th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I agree Ralph, people are going crazy because they heard some speculation about what is going on. You guys have to give it some time before jumping to conclusions, nobody said we were going to be added today and there is no reason at all to bash the Gateway over a bunch of speculation.
What part of Steve's report didn't you understand FargoBison? If you didn't see the sports at ten then I can't blame you but you need to read the comments he posted on the media blog here's the link

This isn't just speculation or hype made up by overzealous NDSU or SDSU fans this was asked about and discussed. Unfortunately it even appears it was agreed to in some form although nothing has been inked yet. Worse yet it appears that the Mid-Con membership involved something similar and It's the first many have heard of that. I'm not necessarily blaming them for asking if they have the gall to ask for it but our administration apparently is ok with it but I'd sure like to know what it's going to cost us. Hey Ralph how about you invite me over for a steak and beer on you. Of course you have to pay for me to travel to your place and then again for me to get home. I'm sure your ok with that right? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Model Citizen
February 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
At this point, the PFL no longer has such an agreement. The last expense sharing took place in 2006 for Gridiron Classic travel costs.

slostang
February 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I am hoping that the Gateway is not only concerned about the additional travel expenses, but are also concerned what the two losses on their schedule will do to their playoff chances.:smiley_wi They certainly did not help Cal Poly's this year.

Of course as a Cal Poly fan I am hoping the Gateway gets cold feet.

The Dakota's rock. Long live the GWFC!!!

February 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
... nothing has been inked yet. Worse yet it appears that the Mid-Con membership involved something similar... if they have the gall to ask for it... Hey Ralph how about you invite me over for a steak and beer on you. Of course you have to pay for me to travel...Operative phrase:
nothing has been inked yet

Wow, the Mid-Con does it yet the Gateway is characterized by you as "they have the gall to ask for it." Seems like it may be normal for the XDSUs huh?

BTW, I paid my own way to Fargo (to see NDSU) and Sioux Falls (to see SDSU) sir, and no one bought me a steak and beer.

February 20th, 2007, 12:06 AM
At this point, the PFL no longer has such an agreement. The last expense sharing took place in 2006 for Gridiron Classic travel costs.Oh yeah, I knew about that. :o Maybe even for the PFL champ game too?

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
What part of Steve's report didn't you understand FargoBison? If you didn't see the sports at ten then I can't blame you but you need to read the comments he posted on the media blog here's the link

This isn't just speculation or hype made up by overzealous NDSU or SDSU fans this was asked about and discussed. Unfortunately it even appears it was agreed to in some form although nothing has been inked yet. Worse yet it appears that the Mid-Con membership involved something similar and It's the first many have heard of that. I'm not necessarily blaming them for asking if they have the gall to ask for it but our administration apparently is ok with it but I'd sure like to know what it's going to cost us. Hey Ralph how about you invite me over for a steak and beer on you. Of course you have to pay for me to travel to your place and then again for me to get home. I'm sure your ok with that right? :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Paying a fee to join a conference is nothing new, it happens all the time. I know a fee or subsidy has been discussed but just who is asking for it and how much it will be is not known. Seriously Bisonbacker just take chill pill and wait until some more facts are revealed before jumping to conclusions. All Hallstrom was doing is speculating that this may be the case, he has no idea if it is a requirement or whatever.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Stick your head out of the igloo breathe and then go have a drink and relax!
And this affects you how? I went to NDSU, I have a daughter going to NDSU. I fully support NDSU and enjoy all the sporting events they have when I can. But to have kids paying higher fees to go to college and then see our president on camera saying he was ok with any kind of deal that would involve our university have to pay schools extra to travel to play us is garbage. I make no apologies Ralph for stating my opinions regarding what some have called extortion, you can call it what you want but I consider it to be wrong. I'd rather stay in the GWFC with teams that want us in as opposed to teams that seem to think we should have to help pay for them to come and play us. If you can't see what's wrong with that then I can't help you.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Operative phrase:
nothing has been inked yet

Wow, the Mid-Con does it yet the Gateway is characterized by you as "they have the gall to ask for it." Seems like it may be normal for the XDSUs huh?

BTW, I paid my own way to Fargo (to see NDSU) and Sioux Falls (to see SDSU) sir, and no one bought me a steak and beer.
You didn't tell me you were coming, I'd have been happy to buy you a beer.

citdog
February 20th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Backer it doesn't have anything to do with me! But if your schools don't want to do it then don't join! But don't pop a nut until you know it is a fact!:thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
February 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM
All of this makes me want good 'ol home of the GWFC
Country road, take me home
to a place where I belong!!
Cal Poly, UC Davis, even SUU
take me home.....country road....

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Fargo Bison I assume your not in the Fargo area? Go to this link and click on the news at ten under the media link section, you can watch the 10pm sports there and hear President Chapman say it himself since you don't seem to believe me.

http://www.in-forum.com/index.cfm?

You may have to register not sure but its free anyway and you can catch both the 6 and 10pm sports if you want to hear what they had to say. Sorry guys if I came off as a little po'd but that's pretty much how I took it. I'm not alone in that camp not that it makes any difference. I'm calling it a night.
Later.: smh :

February 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM
You didn't tell me you were coming, I'd have been happy to buy you a beer.What, no steak? :p

NDSUFREAK
February 20th, 2007, 12:18 AM
What, no steak? :p

Rabbit brat...:D

citdog
February 20th, 2007, 12:18 AM
The late night crew, me, tod, and ralph are pretty cool. come on back if it bothers you so much you can't sleep!

February 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
And this affects you how?... I'd rather stay in the GWFC with teams that want us in as opposed to teams that seem to think we should have to help pay for them to come and play us. If you can't see what's wrong with that then I can't help you.It affects him because it is part of the national FCS scene, why AGS exists. Again, it seems to be normal operating procedure for the XDSUs if they do it already for all their other sports.

February 20th, 2007, 12:21 AM
take me home.....country road...."sitting in a conference where no auto-bid is waiting
looking, scrounging, praying for a full schedule..." ;)

slostang
February 20th, 2007, 12:21 AM
take me home.....country road....
We are here for you Freak. Just say there is no place like home three times and click your heals together. Don't forget Todo.

Tod
February 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
The late night crew, me, tod, and ralph are pretty cool. come on back if it bothers you so much you can't sleep!

Hopefully, I won't be on the crew much longer. Not because I don't want to be, but because if I don't find a job, I won't be able to afford internet access (or the house, food, etc.). :( :( :(

But thanks for the kind words. :)

slostang
February 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
"sitting in a conference where no auto-bid is waiting
looking, scrounging, praying for a full schedule..."
Easy ralph. That is the conference rated #1 by the GPI, but I do not have to remind you of that.:)

slostang
February 20th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Don't you think that the FCS will be better served with the GWFC as a viable conference? If the Dakotas leave it will be on very shaky ground.

February 20th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Easy ralph. That is the conference rated #1 by the GPI, but I do not have to remind you of that.:)Naw, there are just some advantages to being in a larger conference with an AQ. :nod: I'm not praying for the XDSUs to leave the GWFC for the GFC. Really, neither should be desperate for each other.

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Fargo Bison I assume your not in the Fargo area? Go to this link and click on the news at ten under the media link section, you can watch the 10pm sports there and hear President Chapman say it himself since you don't seem to believe me.

http://www.in-forum.com/index.cfm?

You may have to register not sure but its free anyway and you can catch both the 6 and 10pm sports if you want to hear what they had to say. Sorry guys if I came off as a little po'd but that's pretty much how I took it. I'm not alone in that camp not that it makes any difference. I'm calling it a night.
Later.: smh :

I watched the sports, Chapman said NDSU would be willing to offer some money up. Hallstrom speculated that could be one of the sticking points . Gene Taylor also said on Prime Time Sports that only one school asked about travel compensation and Chapman gave you his answer on the 10pm news. Who knows what exactly they are talking about but I would guess since NDSU brought up the commitment it made to the Mid-Con it is a new member fee. I am sure NDSU will have no problem offering the same type of deal to the Gateway as it gave to the Mid-Con. I think it is good gesture by NDSU to show that is committed to the Gateway just as they showed the Mid-Con a few months ago. It worked on getting NDSU into that conference and I think it will work again. That is of course my speculation about what is going on. You can speculate what you want but I think your taking it a little bit to the extreme here, I would really wait util the facts are brought out before continuing to go on the road your going down now.

February 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Don't you think that the FCS will be better served with the GWFC as a viable conference?Absolutely.

NDSUFREAK
February 20th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Wait a second....THAT'S HOT, HOT, HOT (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg)!

BearsCountry
February 20th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Basically it seems this "travel fee" thing is just a bonus add on to the admission fee. Not that big of a deal in the long run of things.

Poly Pigskin
February 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Sure, but you've seen the conference games. Every single freaking one is outstanding football (Ok, maybe not that 51-14 drubbing NDSU gave us this year). I'll take the best football the FCS has to offer and wait for an at-large selection over an autobid in a bigger conference any day. :nod:

February 20th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Sure, but you've seen the conference games. Every single freaking one is outstanding football (Ok, maybe not that 51-14 drubbing NDSU gave us this year). I'll take the best football the FCS has to offer and wait for an at-large selection over an autobid in a bigger conference any day. :nod:Well the Gateway has been the top GPI conference over the last five years so they're no slouch...

citdog
February 20th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Whenever you mention the GPI do you duck and look around for that Delaware Guy?:nod:

February 20th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Whenever you mention the GPI do you duck and look around for that Delaware Guy?:nod::nod: and his brother

citdog
February 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM
:nod: and his brother

who are they again?

February 20th, 2007, 02:37 AM
PM

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 06:39 AM
OK Ralph I edited out what you considered being a low blow after a nights sleep. Like I posted after the edit though I 'm not so sure it wasn't deserved buy maybe should have been left out anyway. We will see what happens in the end. Oh and by the way I pointed out in my other post that you kept quoting regarding NDSU paying a higher fee to the Mid-Con that I don't like that anymore then this proposal. Just an FYI but the only people that need to be held accountable for those moves are our own Pres and AD. I think our Sports guy let the cat out of the bag on that detail in the media blog as it's apparent most Fans at NDSU and SDSU were not aware of that little tid bit regarding the Mid-Con.

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM
OK Ralph I edited out what you considered being a low blow after a nights sleep. Like I posted after the edit though I 'm not so sure it wasn't deserved buy maybe should have been left out anyway. We will see what happens in the end. Oh and by the way I pointed out in my other post that you kept quoting regarding NDSU paying a higher fee to the Mid-Con that I don't like that anymore then this proposal. Just an FYI but the only people that need to be held accountable for those moves are our own Pres and AD. I think our Sports guy let the cat out of the bag on that detail in the media blog as it's apparent most Fans at NDSU and SDSU were not aware of that little tid bit regarding the Mid-Con.

Does the Mid-Con thing really matter? Would you rather be an indy school and have zero chance at making the postseason in pretty much any sport besides footballl? I am going to tell you again if you join a new conference a new member fee is nothing new or out of line. When Maimi and BC left the Big East for the ACC they each paid the ACC 2 million dollars. Link (http://www6.miami.edu/veritas/september2003/fpstory1.html)

Utah State paid 200k for three years to join the WAC...Link, look at page 9 (http://www.usu.edu/fsenate/Archives/Reports%2005-06/AthleticCouncil17Jan05.pdf)

Louisville, Depaul, Marquette, South Florida and Cincinnati each paid the Big East $2.5 million to join...Link (http://media.www.dailytargum.com/media/storage/paper168/news/2003/11/05/Sports/Big-East.Strikes.Back-548578.shtml)

TCU paid 1 million to join MWC
UCF paid 2.6 million to join CUSA...
Link (http://www.mythsandrealities.ucf.edu/answers.html#7)
Northern Colorado paid the Big Sky $250k to join....Link (http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=97889)

As you can see a enterance fee is hardly uncommon and there is no reason at all to get upset about paying one unless it is a huge amount.

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I must agree with FargoBison on this one. It really is no big deal to be paying an enterence fee to get into a new conference. I believe that even the NCC required UNC to pay a fee to get into the conference. This is typical. Us Bison fans have been spoiled with being in one conference for over 70 years, However enterence fees are just a part of college sports.

GABison
February 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
I also DON'T see the 500K exit fee from the Mid-Con as outrageous. Hopefully, in the not-to-distance future, that is just one big payday game.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Does the Mid-Con thing really matter? Would you rather be an indy school and have zero chance at making the postseason in pretty much any sport besides footballl? I am going to tell you again if you join a new conference a new member fee is nothing new or out of line. When Maimi and BC left the Big East for the ACC they each paid the ACC 2 million dollars. Link (http://www6.miami.edu/veritas/september2003/fpstory1.html)

Utah State paid 200k for three years to join the WAC...Link, look at page 9 (http://www.usu.edu/fsenate/Archives/Reports%2005-06/AthleticCouncil17Jan05.pdf)

Louisville, Depaul, Marquette, South Florida and Cincinnati each paid the Big East $2.5 million to join...Link (http://media.www.dailytargum.com/media/storage/paper168/news/2003/11/05/Sports/Big-East.Strikes.Back-548578.shtml)

TCU paid 1 million to join MWC
UCF paid 2.6 million to join CUSA...
Link (http://www.mythsandrealities.ucf.edu/answers.html#7)
Northern Colorado paid the Big Sky $250k to join....Link (http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=97889)

As you can see a enterance fee is hardly uncommon and there is no reason at all to get upset about paying one unless it is a huge amount.

Where did I ever say I had a problem with an entrance fee? I didn't so don't put words in my mouth. Now I did say if they try to get additional fund for travel from us and include it in an entrance fee that I have a problem with. You can call it what you want but if it looks like a duck and walks.....you get the idea.

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Where did I ever say I had a problem with an entrance fee? I didn't so don't put words in my mouth. Now I did say if they try to get additional fund for travel from us and include it in an entrance fee that I have a problem with. You can call it what you want but if it looks like a duck and walks.....you get the idea.

You seemed to be upset that we paid to join the Mid-Con, it was an entrance fee used to pay for added travel expense. A one time deal and if that is what the Gateway wants I hardly would call it unacceptable as long as it is not some crazy amount. I agree we shouldn't be forking over money to these schools every year and I don't think the majority of schools are asking for that.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Many people are now questioning the Mid-Con fee. I'm not alone in that, and it's a done deal on that anyway . I'm just curious that so many (myself included) were not aware that was part of that deal and seems to have now come up in this negotiation.

AggiePride
February 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
One huge unknown is what the GWFC is saying to the XDSU's.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
One huge unknown is what the GWFC is saying to the XDSU's.
?????????????????????????????/

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Many people are now questioning the Mid-Con fee. I'm not alone in that, and it's a done deal on that anyway . I'm just curious that so many (myself included) were not aware that was part of that deal and seems to have now come up in this negotiation.

It may or may not be part of the deal, Taylor said one school asked about travel help and Chapman said I think we could give you some help. Taylor and Chapman are going to do what is best for NDSU so don't expect us to get a raw deal, who knows just what type of fee we will end up having to pay to get in if we have to pay one at all. Right now having to pay anything is more speculation then fact and I wouldn't worry about it until the facts are brought out. The SDSU beat writer even said he didn't think SDSU could give the Gateway much so I wouldn't expect the dollars to be all that much if the Dakota SU's give the Gateway schools anything.

AggiePride
February 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
?????????????????????????????/

Can you tell me what the GWFC has planned? No. But it has been stated that there is multiple options being looked at.

I can't believe the GWFC is sitting on their hands and waiting for outcomes. If the GWFC has any sort of proposal that makes at least an 8 team conference in 2009 if they keep the XDSU's, it makes a difference IMO.

AggiePride
February 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Also, I have never seen someone put together a real comparison of the two outcomes with the GWFC having all the Dakotas and another school.

I have a hard time believing that much more than an autobid is gained

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Also, I have never seen someone put together a real comparison of the two outcomes with the GWFC having all the Dakotas and another school.

I have a hard time believing that much more than an autobid is gained.

You mean other than the fact that we wont be in the same conference as the uxds?xlolx

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
In all seriousness, with the uxds in the conference, travel will probably be about the same, but the gateway would still help with recruiting, because they are in our recruiting area. Also helps by making some in-roads into the MVC, by getting to know some of the members (although the impact of this will be further down the road).

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
It may or may not be part of the deal, Taylor said one school asked about travel help and Chapman said I think we could give you some help. Taylor and Chapman are going to do what is best for NDSU so don't expect us to get a raw deal, who knows just what type of fee we will end up having to pay to get in if we have to pay one at all. Right now having to pay anything is more speculation then fact and I wouldn't worry about it until the facts are brought out. The SDSU beat writer even said he didn't think SDSU could give the Gateway much so I wouldn't expect the dollars to be all that much if the Dakota SU's give the Gateway schools anything.
Hmmm I will need to go back and watch the sports and also re-read Steve's comments on this as it appears your taking some liberties with what was actually said in the sports and via steve's comments.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I have a hard time believing that much more than an autobid is gained

I don't disagree with your last two posts at all.

AggiePride
February 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
You mean other than the fact that we wont be in the same conference as the uxds?xlolx

You know what, i look at that as a huge postive, In the end that is a money maker for both schools and seriously, no matter what you guys say, I think you guys can't get enough of eachother. And wether or not that attraction is postive or negative does not really matter, it creates fan interest and $$$$$$$$$$$ that could never be equaled by any team in the gateway.

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm I will need to go back and watch the sports and also re-read Steve's comments on this as it appears your taking some liberties with what was actually said in the sports and via steve's comments.

Some of that was taken from the Taylor interview on Prime Time Sports and the interview of the SDSU beat writer also on PTS.

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
You know what, In the end that is a money moker for both schools and seriously, no matter what you guys say, I think you guys can't get enough of eachother.

I know, and actually I would mind playing them. But I said it because I knew it would get you going.;)

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Backer, Kolpack just said on Thunder Radio that the subsidy isn't likely to happen and NDSU has backed off from that philosophy a bit.

JBB
February 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I expected something like that. We needed the Mid Con a lot more than we need the Gateway. They are mulling this over right now. Whatever we paid the Mid Con seems to me to be unreachable for the Gateway.

Soon we will see plan B: UXDs back on the schedule and at the pleasure of the presidents into the GWFC. I dont think the GWC can wait much longer. Aggipride and I agree, there must be behind the scenes activities in the GWFC right now.

The GWFC will probably charge an entrance fee too.

BisonBacker
February 20th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Entrance fee is one thing, paying a additional travel expense or whatever you want to call it is way different IMHO.

JBB
February 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I hear that Backer.

For myself I am prepared to pay both. How much is the question. The travel concession maybe a 1 time thing to be expressed as a per centage of our gate, paid to each team on their first visit to the Fabulous Fargo Dome?

If we offered say 1 or 2% it would be less than $5,000/team at the most. 1% of the place isnt even 200 seats.

I dont think they have much leverage though. The GWFC isnt a bad place to be at all. It just depends on how valuable the auto bid is precieved to be and how much the scheduling issue is worth to us.

BisonBacker
February 21st, 2007, 07:23 AM
NDSU reconsiders the travel issue with the Gateway and the travel subsidy is off the table now.
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157304

HLecter
February 21st, 2007, 07:30 AM

My boy Citdog!!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Husky Alum
February 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM
FWIW, Northeastern and Georgia State each paid $250K to get in to the CAA.

BisonBacker
February 21st, 2007, 08:45 AM
I don't think there is any problem with that amount and neither does NDSU or SDSU but the Gateway was reported to be asking up to $500K xidiotx

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM

We're not talking about the entrance fee.

That's a one time fee.

We're talking about a recurring travel subsidy for "poor me" schools like SIU, who by the way have the highest paid head coach in FCS and are building a new football stadium.

I'm so happy right now that Joe and Gene told SIU to jack off with their damn travel subsidy.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
NDSU reconsiders the travel issue with the Gateway and the travel subsidy is off the table now.
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157304

http://thesandtrap.com//imgs/pga/fred_funk_fist_pump.jpg

Take it, SIU!

Bend over and shove that damn travel subsidy right up there!

Green Cookie Monster
February 21st, 2007, 09:15 AM
Why are you Bison people so caustic?

It is their league, you want to join, there is a price. If you can't or won't pay the price, accept it and move on, why the rude, crude comments?

I am sooooo glad the Big Sky told you clowns to take a hike. Twice.

If SIU has the highest paid coach and is building a new stadium, seems to me they have their priorities straight and being 'poor' isn't an accurate statement. They just choose to spend their money on other things than travelling to BFE. They owe nothing to the XDSU's.

If you want to play, this is what it costs. Accept it with a degree of character and move in or move on.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM
Nope.

Because we don't have to. We have the Great West, which can only get better with the addition of UND and USD.

The Gateway needs us more than we need them.

We aren't paying a travel subsidy and that's final.

Take it or leave it, Gateway.

AggiePride
February 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Why are you Bison people so caustic?

It is their league, you want to join, there is a price. If you can't or won't pay the price, accept it and move on, why the rude, crude comments?

I am sooooo glad the Big Sky told you clowns to take a hike. Twice.

If SIU has the highest paid coach and is building a new stadium, seems to me they have their priorities straight and being 'poor' isn't an accurate statement. They just choose to spend their money on other things than travelling to BFE. They owe nothing to the XDSU's.

If you want to play, this is what it costs. Accept it with a degree of character and move in or move on.

So am I, now the Bison need to tell the GW to go kick rocks and I will be really happy......:thumbsup:

lucchesicourt
February 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
I really don't understand why these schools want to leave the GWFC anyway. They are already in the Midcon for other sports. Sure, we don't have an autobid, but our conference champ will be in the playoffs regardless. That is almost the same as an autobid. As far as travel and rivalry, we have more than the Gateway to offer NDSU and SDSU. We are a growing conference and with the addition of the xSD's we will eventually get the autobid too. And no one in the GWFC is asking for travel expenses, that I know of. I just don't see what the Gateway offers, that the GWFC does not, besides the autobid.

BisonBacker
February 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Nope.

Because we don't have to. We have the Great West, which can only get better with the addition of UND and USD.

The Gateway needs us more than we need them.

We aren't paying a travel subsidy and that's final.

Take it or leave it, Gateway.

I'm not for the subsidy myself but MPLSBison when did they make you part of the negotiating team xidiotx

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
I just don't see what the Gateway offers, that the GWFC does not, besides the autobid.

We recruit MN, WI, Chicago, and Houston.

Other than Houston, that's Gateway area.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM
when did they make you part of the negotiating team

As soon as I found out that the Gateway would be asking for travel subsidies.

I decided that I simply wouldn't allow it.

andy7171
February 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Is it really surprising that a conference doesn't want to travel two thousand miles round trip each year? Why hate on them? If they propose something you don't want to do, don't join. But don't bash the league you're applying to when they lay out their requirements. Last I looked, the Gateway was doing just fine without two new schools.

JBB
February 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM
I dont think the Gateway is out of line, but an entrance fee of $250,000 when we already have a football conference seems high. Its true they dont need us but hey is 7 the number for them and if not where do they turn if they chase the MIghty Land Grants away? I think they need us.

Im sure the Mighty Land Grants anticipated this and right now it looks like each side is feeling the situation out to see what exactly what the market can bear. Like any good negotiation they started high and we are coming in low, somewhere in the middle the twain will meet.

For myself I dont blame the GWC at all. This is a natural progression of events and understandably there is a lot of frustration with this issue among the fans. Im just sorry that sac state guy got so stressed out.

The way it works out will be the best for us. Im glad we have attractive options and are negotiating in good faith with the Gateway. :cool:

BisonBacker
February 21st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Is it really surprising that a conference doesn't want to travel two thousand miles round trip each year? Why hate on them? If they propose something you don't want to do, don't join. But don't bash the league you're applying to when they lay out their requirements. Last I looked, the Gateway was doing just fine without two new schools.

First of all not all in Bison Nation are bashing them. Second those who are voicing concerns don't necessarily all bash them. I was very critical of them for one reason only.
To have requirements is expected and nobody was expecting anything but certain requirements. But when they go beyond the norm for any conference and want additional concessions or requirements whatever you want to call them then people can be and have every right to be critical of them with or without bashing them.
Last point, you say they are doing fine. Well at 7 members they can make it but there is lots of speculation (and I'm saying its speculation so don't need 10 people saying its only your opinion or whatever) that they may have 1 or 2 schools either drop and or move to FBS. If one drops football and the other either stays or moves up then things are not so peachy. If they want to plan for the future they should act now but if they want to do it at the expense of NDSU and SDSU then I say thanks but no thanks. Paying the fees others pay is expected. Having to pay the way of others to boot is not and should not. Hartzell from UNI said it himself regarding the changes that could loom in the future for them. If they don't act now they (UNI) and other members of the Gateway (?) may be coming to us in the future for membership in our conference. Why not do what's best for both without trying to stick it to us is all we are asking for. Were not asking to be treated any different then anyone else but the administration at both NDSU and SDSU won't be taken advantage of. Things have changed in the last few years and it's not as if we have no bargaining power. The GWFC has great potential to grow in the coming years so if nothing can be worked out we part ways and move on.

FargoBison
February 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
I really don't understand why these schools want to leave the GWFC anyway. They are already in the Midcon for other sports. Sure, we don't have an autobid, but our conference champ will be in the playoffs regardless. That is almost the same as an autobid. As far as travel and rivalry, we have more than the Gateway to offer NDSU and SDSU. We are a growing conference and with the addition of the xSD's we will eventually get the autobid too. And no one in the GWFC is asking for travel expenses, that I know of. I just don't see what the Gateway offers, that the GWFC does not, besides the autobid.

Its a midwestern conference, in our recruiting area and is a very established conference that has an auto-bid. It also may develop some in roads with MVC schools which would be good for at least scheduling in other sports and I think the MVC is a conference the XDSU would like to be a part of sometime down the road.

Also Bison fans, stop ripping on SIU for the love of god. Nobody has said who wants a travel subsidy or the 500k enterance fee, all that is known about SIU is they have travel concerns. Also this whole thing is a process right now the Gateway may just be seeing what it can get but our admin knows what it is going to give up and they will hold strong to it since we are already in a good conference.

lucchesicourt
February 21st, 2007, 03:49 PM
You know guys , when I hear someone trying to get as much as they can
for something (the sellers-like car dealers), and then they find they can't get the asking price, they lower the price, but you have no idea if the lower price is fair or they just took less than the greedy guys wanted. I don't like dealing with people like this. The Gateway should just lay things flat on the table- this is what it takes to get in to our conference-no wheeling dealing. Can you really trust people who wheel and deal? I don't! Making special entrance fees for the xDSU's is wrong. They should all have the same requirements, but a modification for increase in costs. The xDSU's should NOT pay other institutions traveling expenses.

MplsBison
February 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM
The xDSU's should NOT pay other institutions traveling expenses.

Don't worry, we won't be.

That is set in stone.

The only thing left to negotiate is the entrance fee. 100k sounds right to me, but we'll go up to 250k.

Above that, forget it.

February 22nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
... I think they need us...or else they might get UNDak and USDak... :eek:

RabidRabbit
February 22nd, 2007, 06:50 AM
or else they might get UNDak and USDak... :eek:

In 5 years, that's a decent option. However, I will point out that Grand Forks, ND and Vermillion, SD are more difficult to travel to than Fargo or Brookings. Are smaller venues, and don't have the football success (combined) that SDSU & especially NDSU have. UND will be a power to contend with sooner than USD will be. :twocents:

bcrawf
February 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
If Indiana State is whining and holding this up. Drop to DIII. I am sick of that institution whining about how they can't afford to compete.

The last two UNI men's teams to go to Terre Haute (football and men's basketball) played in front of less that 2,000 fans COMBINED.

There is no commitment to anything. They are the joke of the Gateway and the Joke of the Missouri Valley. NDSU would go in and crush them in both sports. One football win in two years and they used an ineligible player to get it. I AM SO SICK OF INDIANA STATE'S B******* AND WISH THEY WOULD DROP TO DIII WHERE THEY BELONG!!!

JBB
February 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Dont forget RabidRabbit, the Gateway has been very firm on the idea that they wont look at teams that dont have others sports in a conference. Also, it will be some time before they are even in D1.

Ralph may be right, in time they may turn to lessor options, but right now the focus is on us and we have a huge advantage, the GWFC. :twocents:

Because of exit fines the UxDs, if they ever do get into the GWFC, will be stuck for 8 years. Right now there is only one place for the Gateway to turn if they arent happy with 7 and thats the Mighty Land Grants. :hurray: