PDA

View Full Version : NCAA D-I Football Championship & Basketball Tournament Appearance

ASU_Chad
February 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Have any I-AA schools in the past won the NC and a bid to the NCAA Basketball Tourney in the same year?

NU Hound29
February 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
UMass 1998

BigApp
February 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm sure it's happened a couple of times.

ASU_Chad
February 18th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hopefully it will happen this year.

February 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
schools have made both tournaments plenty of times...

ASU_Chad
February 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Tounaments, yes. I meant Championships vs. Tournaments.

February 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Only three have done it before this year:
2002 Western Ky.
1998 Massachusetts
1979 Eastern Ky.

kardplayer
February 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Only three have done it before this year:
2002 Western Ky.
1998 Massachusetts
1979 Eastern Ky.

2002 #8 Stanford 84 - #9 W. Ky 68
1998 #10 St. Louis 51 - #7 UMass 46
1979 #8 Tennessee 97 - #9 Eastern Ky 81

So... no Football Champ has ever won a game in the hoops tourny(assuming Ralph is correct about all the teams that made the tourny)

You've got something to shoot for

February 19th, 2007, 01:19 AM
and another FCS trivia question could be born!

Umass74
February 19th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I've got a better trivia question.

Name the only player who was a starter on an FCS National Championship Team AND a member of a Final Four Basketball Team...

AppGuy04
February 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Lets not jump the gun here people, we have to make the tourney first. Getting a 2nd bid is gonna be tough, so lets focus on the last 3 games and the SoCon tourney first

ASU Kep
February 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I've seen some reports that ASU stands a pretty good shot at an at-large if we win out the rest of our league games and lose only in the SOCON finals to Davidson. That being said, lets just win the SOCON and make things so much easier on the selection committee.

Shockerman
February 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
You get my vote, the fighting Apps played for keeps saturday at Koch. I will be rooting for you in the tourney and expect nothing less than a run to the sweet sixteen. congrats on the win, just root for us in the NIT!:bang:

Mountaineer
February 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
You get my vote, the fighting Apps played for keeps saturday at Koch. I will be rooting for you in the tourney and expect nothing less than a run to the sweet sixteen. congrats on the win, just root for us in the NIT!:bang:

Hey Shockerman! I was waiting for you to come back around after predicting the beatdown we'd get at Koch. xlolx :thumbsup: :bow:

Thank's for the support dude - it's been a really fun year so far for App hoops! :nod:

Old Cage
February 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
How about UMass/Apps in the first round of one tourney or the other? That would be fun.

74 - Nice question! :)

AppGuy04
February 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM

What has happened to you guys dude? Seriously? I have never seen a team, go from day and night so quickly. Were there injuries or what?

youwouldno
February 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
It would be a disgrace if Davidson or App won out, until losing the conference final to the other, and then did not get a bid. Possibly even worse than how Missouri State got shafted last year, insofar as at least the problem then was so many deserving MVC teams. I don't think 2 teams from the SoCon would ruin the tourney, as opposed to handing out bids to horrible power conference teams.

AppGuy04
February 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
It would be a disgrace if Davidson or App won out, until losing the conference final to the other, and then did not get a bid. Possibly even worse than how Missouri State got shafted last year, insofar as at least the problem then was so many deserving MVC teams. I don't think 2 teams from the SoCon would ruin the tourney, as opposed to handing out bids to horrible power conference teams.

Davidson doesn't have any signature wins, thats their problem. If they were to lose in the tourney, it would not surprise me if they did not get a bid

youwouldno
February 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
That's true but I think the signature win thing is overrated. To me, a 7-9 in-conference ACC team has proven they don't belong in the tourney, whereas with Davidson it's unclear.. no bad losses or great wins. I'd rather admit a team who could be good rather than one I know isn't.

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
That's true but I think the signature win thing is overrated. To me, a 7-9 in-conference ACC team has proven they don't belong in the tourney, whereas with Davidson it's unclear.. no bad losses or great wins. I'd rather admit a team who could be good rather than one I know isn't.
The only problem with that statement is that with a conference like the ACC you have to look outside the conferece to see how good they really are. The ACC is 133-33 against OOC teams.

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 01:58 PM
ASU needs to win the socon tournament to get in...our rpi is not high enough for an at large selection.

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
ASU needs to win the socon tournament to get in...our rpi is not high enough for an at large selection.
ESPN is saying that we may not be a lock for at-large but we're not locked out either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=2770987

The message should be clear to anyone who was watching: The mid-major world is not limited to the Colonial, the Missouri Valley and the WAC. There are solid teams in low-RPI conferences that can play ball with anyone, and while teams such as App-State and Winthrop are still not quite at-large locks, they are legitimate threats to win NCAA games when they get there. And if and when they do, they'll help prove that there really is no such thing as a "low major."

ASU
February 19th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Go APPS !
Basketball team really looks good this year.....got a realistic chance to
knock off some big names in the tournament if they get in.
Would really help the Southern Conference reputation.
Go APPS !

youwouldno
February 19th, 2007, 02:33 PM
'Low major,' that's a bit of an insult for the SoCon. We're much closer to the middle than the bottom.

AppGuy04
February 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
'Low major,' that's a bit of an insult for the SoCon. We're much closer to the middle than the bottom.

he said they'll prove there's no such thing, he didn't call us low major

ASU Kep
February 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Davidson is only 1-4 against RPI top-100 teams. They have a great record and are a solid, consistent team but really have no shot at an at-large. We might not get one either, but we'd certainly be in the mix if we stay perfect until the SOCON finals.

BrevardMountaineer03
February 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I think we have a great shot at an At-Large Bid. 3 conference losses, but we beat the #1 team in the conference on their floor. I think we have a great shot at run the table in the conference tourney, but I think a birth in the SoCon finals would lock an At-Large, as long as Davidson was the other team.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM
If you can't post a winning record in your conference, no matter what conference you come from, what is the point of letting you into the tournament? I don't want to see five, six or seven teams from one conference. I'd much rather see more balanced representation. The reason a lot of these mid-major teams have problems with strength of schedule, RPI etc. is the Dukes of the world duck them. Let's see ACC teams have to travel to SoCon home sites, the Big 12 have to go to the Southland, or the Pac-10 play games against the WAC or Big Sky. Seeing the George Masons of the college world beating up on the North Carolinas is what makes the NCAA tournament great.

JMG1MON
February 20th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Andy Maclay, the punter on the 1998 national championship team and a member of the 1996 final four team as a walkon!

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 12:21 PM
The Big Sky will not fair well in the tourney this year. Maybe Weber can ask Harold "the show" Arceneaux to make a come back.

Old Cage
February 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM
JMG - Well done. Andy was an eight letter winner.

What's your UMass connection? Sports Management major?