PDA

View Full Version : Fordham Transfer to Lehigh?

ngineer
February 18th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Reported on the Lehigh Voy board that a running back named Figura who was a freshman last year at FU is transfering to Lehigh. Anyone know of the validity of this and any story behind it? Kid was supposedly 2d team all-state and first team academic in h.s.

PapaBear
February 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Reported on the Lehigh Voy board that a running back named Figura who was a freshman last year at FU is transfering to Lehigh. Anyone know of the validity of this and any story behind it? Kid was supposedly 2d team all-state and first team academic in h.s.

His name is Jason Figura. He was an All-Everything three-sport athlete at Jim Thorpe HS, and is related (by marriage) to Lehigh recruit Craig Zurn.

Jason isn't the biggest or fastest kid, but he is a vicious competitor and a team player who will find a way to contribute. Will line up at RB or maybe inside receiver -- although, in truth, his best shot at earning a roster spot will be Special Teams.

Yes, I said, "... at earning a roster spot." The Lehigh staff only recently agreed to let him walk on. It took some coaxing by some of Coen's friends in the coaching profession.

ngineer
February 18th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the information.

Lehigh74
February 19th, 2007, 08:24 AM
His name is Jason Figura. He was an All-Everything three-sport athlete at Jim Thorpe HS, and is related (by marriage) to Lehigh recruit Craig Zurn.

Jason isn't the biggest or fastest kid, but he is a vicious competitor and a team player who will find a way to contribute. Will line up at RB or maybe inside receiver -- although, in truth, his best shot at earning a roster spot will be Special Teams.

Yes, I said, "... at earning a roster spot." The Lehigh staff only recently agreed to let him walk on. It took some coaxing by some of Coen's friends in the coaching profession.

Why would Coen be hesitant to let him walk on?

Andy
February 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Any intra-league transfer will raise eyebrows even in the absence of indication of hanky-panky (recruitment) IMO. Coach Coen was wise to handle the situation with kid gloves. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he'd contacted the FU staff over the issue to head off any hard feelings. The league tries to discourage intra-league transfers, I believe--anyone know the rule, is it a two year wait? Anyone recall the last intra-league transfer?

Lehigh74
February 19th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the explanation Andy. What you said makes a lot of sense. Lehigh went through a similar problem with a high level wrestling recruit. He committed to Lehigh and Cornell kept recruiting him. A few days before classes were to start, he announced he had changed his mind and was going to go the Cornell instead. Obviously, it created a lot of hard feelings.

On the voy board you mentioned a Lehigh football recruit named Ray Van Peenen. Who is he and why wasn't he listed with the other recruits?

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the explanation Andy. What you said makes a lot of sense. Lehigh went through a similar problem with a high level wrestling recruit. He committed to Lehigh and Cornell kept recruiting him. A few days before classes were to start, he announced he had changed his mind and was going to go the Cornell instead. Obviously, it created a lot of hard feelings.

On the voy board you mentioned a Lehigh football recruit named Ray Van Peenen. Who is he and why wasn't he listed with the other recruits?

According to later posts, Van Peenan is going to prep school for a year as he's a young 17 and missed half of last year with ACL problem.

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Why would Coen be hesitant to let him walk on?

It's also unknown when he left school. So the timing of when he'd be eligible may be affected by such 'trigger' date.

RichH2
February 27th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think there is a period not sure whether it can be waived or whether it is an NCAA or PL rule ? Also, Figura did not play last year does that impact on transfer eligibility?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I'm guessing a little here, but you probably have to sit out a year if you are an FCS-to-FCS transfer. Did Figura dress at all in 2005?

Also important is that he's a walk-on, i.e., he's not getting aid and wouldn't be considered a counter. Isn't that right?

Everything about this screams "special case", not a loophole where there's going to be a massive talent drain from all PL schools to Lehigh. :twocents:

Fordham
February 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Not sure what to say about this one fellas, but I spoke with a few coaches on the staff and they had no idea who he was or what my question was in reference to. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the team this past year (again, could be wrong) and it's possible that he was a Foley recruit, I guess. Again, not sure but wish him well.

ngineer
February 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Not sure what to say about this one fellas, but I spoke with a few coaches on the staff and they had no idea who he was or what my question was in reference to. I'm pretty sure he wasn't on the team this past year (again, could be wrong) and it's possible that he was a Foley recruit, I guess. Again, not sure but wish him well.

That may well be part of the explanation, and if he's transfering as a walk-on would be the other.