PDA

View Full Version : Grambling to Face ULM

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Grambling's two OOC games this year, Pitt and ULM. That's two FBS games for the schedule of Grambling, who can only play two OOC games in addition to the nine-game SWAC schedule.

Bit surprised to see it, but perhaps ULM thinks Grambling is down enough that they can get a win. ULM has struggled against regional FCS foes in recent years, losing a few games to SLC foes and even being pressed by Alcorn St last year.

For fans, ULM-Grambling game well worth the wait
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

Exuberant local fans are hailing a once-in-a-lifetime football game between ULM and Grambling.

The talk wasn't of a shared, but separate, history — but of bragging rights around town.

"At last! This game is long overdue," said Grambling supporter Michael Watson of Sicily Island. "I've been waiting on this game since my collegiate days in the mid-70s. We really used to run a lot of smack back and forth about a possible gridiron match up."

School officials have confirmed that ULM will play host to Grambling on Nov. 10, a first for the two teams.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070218/SPORTS/702180354/1006

GAD
February 18th, 2007, 11:20 AM
:hurray:

McNeese75
February 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM
:hurray:

I agree :thumbsup:

AppGuy04
February 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM
They have a great chance of taking down ULM

BigApp
February 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM
a fighter's chance, definitely!

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Grambling wins....:D

mikebigg
February 18th, 2007, 05:42 PM
'Preciate the positive votes of confidence...however, let me tell you that ULM has done a good job of signing some of the top talent in Northeast La for the past couple of years. It will be a good game...might open the door for future matchups either in Grambling or in Shreveport.

AppGuy04
February 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
'Preciate the positive votes of confidence...however, let me tell you that ULM has done a good job of signing some of the top talent in Northeast La for the past couple of years. It will be a good game...might open the door for future matchups either in Grambling or in Shreveport.

well, look at it this way, you win and some of those recruits might start coming to you

JohnStOnge
February 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Go Tigers.

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Doubt we'll see ULM @ Grambling...Shreveport is more likely, but a stretch too. ULM couldn't go to an FCS because they have problems as is getting FBS squads to their place and want to make sure they get a certain amount of home games to go along with their annual beatings by the FCS elite...

Go to SWAC Page and they all think ULM will travel to Grambling. I'll eat crow if it does happen, but we won't see that anytime soon unless we're talking basketball or baseball or something. Not in football...

Recent FCS wins over ULM, who has lost five straight to SLC opponents and only once in their last six games against FCS schools (defeated Alcorn in '06):
NWST, 27-24, 2005
SFA, 23-21, 2003
NWST, 14-10, 2003
McN, 24-19 2002
SHSU, 20-9, 2001

mikebigg
February 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Doubt we'll see ULM @ Grambling...Shreveport is more likely, but a stretch too. ULM couldn't go to an FCS because they have problems as is getting FBS squads to their place and want to make sure they get a certain amount of home games to go along with their annual beatings by the FCS elite...

Go to SWAC Page and they all think ULM will travel to Grambling. I'll eat crow if it does happen, but we won't see that anytime soon unless we're talking basketball or baseball or something. Not in football...

Recent FCS wins over ULM, who has lost five straight to SLC opponents and only once in their last six games against FCS schools (defeated Alcorn in '06):
NWST, 27-24, 2005
SFA, 23-21, 2003
NWST, 14-10, 2003
McN, 24-19 2002
SHSU, 20-9, 2001

I don't think they will either... they would try to bring in another FCS school that they think would draw well. Jackson State and SU would be good draws from our conference. Some of their fans might post that they wouldn't do it, but the truth of the matter is that no FCS school can turn down a six figure paydate...especially one that's only 2 hours away.

Personally, have no problem with the so-called "one-sided" arrangement on this one. It really solved a problem for Grambling. We have had a problem filling that November slot with an opponent that draws our fans interest. We will make more playing this one at ULM than we would if we played Concordia, Savannah State, Langston in a late season game. We need this slot to be open to play a state school anyway in my opinion. You got the high school playoffs and a feel of the same atmosphere in terms of rivalry with other La. schools. That could really be something special.

MACHIAVELLI
February 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
If they sign only for 1 year it is a mistake. The payout better be worth it. I believe a big screwing is coming.

GeauxColonels
February 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Take it to 'em GSU!!

Personally, I think it's a brilliant move on the part of ULM's top brass....I think this will be a HUGE draw in Monroe; and they won't be there to see the Warhawks.

February 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
hurrah!

Mr. Tiger
February 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
:thumbsup: I think it will be a good game. Alcorn gave ULM trouble last year until the fourth quarter. And I think Grambling's new coach will have them ready.