PDA

View Full Version : How many games will GSU win in 2007?

Laserlips
February 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM
GSU was 8-3 two seasons ago..:D
GSU was 3-8 one season ago...:bawling:

BVG is gone, new head Coach Chris Hatcher is at the helm..

How many games do you think the Georgia Southern Eagles will win in 2007? :asswhip:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM

seantaylor
February 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM

xidiotx

Laserlips
February 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM

And would one of those 5 wins be against the Citadel? :nod:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 05:40 PM
And would one of those 5 wins be against the Citadel? :nod:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Nope, we are going to beat you this year too!:nod: :nod:

Laserlips
February 17th, 2007, 05:46 PM

YIKES!

That "too" hurts... :bawling:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Kiss My Apps
February 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM

AppGuy04
February 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM
5-6 sounds about right to me

GaSouthern
February 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
6 or more

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Don't even feel comfortable in guessing this one- new coaching staff, mixed recruiting classes with different skills for different systems.

I will venture that the Eagles will be noticeably improved and more focused than they were last year, and should be more competitive for everyone on their schedule.

Time will tell how many "W"s that will produce.....:confused:

GreatAppSt
February 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
6 er 7:D

BEAR
February 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I think they will win all those games they don't lose...:thumbsup:

..with Hatch attack being implimented...6

gatadotcom
February 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
We'll win more games than The Citadel will!

Guaranteed. But that ain't saying a whole lot.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'd take that bet! We are going 9-2, or 8-3 if we fill our open with FBS. What's the stake??

Cocky
February 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM
6-7

Footix
February 17th, 2007, 10:25 PM
They have the weapons on the perimeter to run Hatcher's system, but who's the gunslinger going to be? That's the big difference between say ... 7-4 and 5-6 or so.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I have never seen footix before so it's new.......... Hey footix do you know your mascot has a set of balls on his chin?xlolx :nod: :rotateh: :D :bawling:

BEAR
February 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Grizo406
February 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I hope Georgia Southern only loses 1 game in 2007.:rolleyes:

bobbythekidd
February 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I hope Georgia Southern only loses 1 game in 2007.:rolleyes:
I'd be happy with that. With just one more win the next year, assuming it comes with a flag.

youwouldno
February 18th, 2007, 01:02 AM
5 or 6.

Blueandwhitefightfight
February 18th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Anywhere between 7 and 14. (Read below before you judge)

Look at why we were 3-8 last year. It becomes obvious that we will be much, much, much better this year if you take that into account. VanGorder lost a lot of games by ridiculously close margins. Excluding the NDSU fiasco, we lost the other games by a combined total of 21 points. That's an average of 3 points per game. VanGorder refused to make halftime adjustments (he stated that many times to the press...) which killed us. If you go check out the stats, look at first half performance vs. second half performance. Not even close. Attribute that to not making adjustments and terrible game management. We were severely outcoached. Even one of the Central Arkansas coaches commented on how bad they were outcoached. Our defense was very young also.

Here is how 2007 is looking so far:

- Jayson Foster's senior year and he has a very bad case of the wants.

- There weren't a lot of seniors this past year so there is a lot of talent returning.

- The likely return of a very talented dual threat QB. Not mentioning the name till it happens.

- Two Recruiting classes worth of players that fit into the new offense. This years class exceeded expectations and was one of GSU's best ever.

- We got a couple transfers and a couple JUCO's which should make an immediate impact and help to fix some problem areas.

- We signed a kicker who can kick... Thank goodness...

- Our defense developed a lot over the course of last season. They were very young, but saw a lot of playing time (because the offense was terrible...) which will help out a lot in the future.

- Hatcher (http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/sports/coachbio.aspx?sport=1004&coachid=15055) only lost 12 games total in his 7 years @ VSU. He knows how to turn a program around. In his first year as HC at VSU, Hatcher took a 4-7 squad the previous year and turned it around to a 10-2 record.Over the past seven years at Valdosta, Hatcher has:
- posted an .864 winning percentage
- registered a 68-7 mark in the regular season
- been 56-6 in Gulf South Conference play
- had 60 All-GSC selections
- coached 16 All-America selections.

- The other coaches. That's something I'm very suprised nobody has brought up yet. Hatcher is surrounding himself with proven winners. Go to GeorgiaSouthernEagles.com -> Football -> Coaching Staff ... and read. Hatcher's staff thus far hands down blows away VanGorders staff. I had the pleasure having dinner with a few of the new coaches the other evening. It is really like night and day. Hatcher and his men are not only better football coaches, they are much much nicer people. Also (and this is big), the new coaches are familiar with our history and traditions. Hatcher and 2 of the other coaches were at the 1989 National Championship game. (They played for Valdosta St., their season was over and they had buddies at what was still Georgia Southern College, so they were at the game and even hopped the fence to celebrate with everyone). Hatcher and our O-line coach (Bostik) were teammates and roomed together at VSU. Coach B. was telling me the other day how Hatcher's mom got them the video about Erk that was put out in 1990 called The Miracle Worker. Said they watched it so many times, the tape broke. Attitude is a lot in college football, and these guys definately have it.

Basically, our talent level has gone up and we now have coaches who actually know how to develop and utilize that talent. Oh yea, and did I mention Jayson Foster? Oh? I did.. Well, I'll say it again just because: It's J-FOS' last chance at a ring, and he wants it bad... REAL bad...

Oh yea, one last tidbit- Coach said he wants start winning NC's again and he wants to do so as quickly as possible. There is no reason, no reason at all, why GSU could not be a NC contender this year. As coach put it, somebody has to win the game, might as well be the ole Hatch'man!

G.A.T.A. EAGLES!

youwouldno
February 18th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure how to find this out, but I wonder what the top seasons are in the past 20 years, in the FCS, from teams coming off a 3-8 campaign. I doubt any NC's but I could be wrong. The thing about GSU fans is that they have unrealistic expectations, a la Alabama fans, due to past glories that are not going to win games in 2007. Sure Hatcher won in D-II and probably will be a very solid coach, but the idea he can immediately dominate the FCS is pretty unrealistic, considering what GSU has gone through. Plus, amidst bashing of BVG, GSU fans forget that if nothing else BVG is a solid defensive mind. Hatcher's reputation is on the offensive side of the ball. You would think after the BVG fiasco GSU fans would be a tick gun shy about predicting domination.

February 18th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I have a feeling that some bad break somewhere along the line will prevent Georgia Southern from having a 15-0 record in 2007.

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I have a feeling that some bad break somewhere along the line will prevent Georgia Southern from having a 15-0 record in 2007.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Laserlips
February 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure how to find this out, but I wonder what the top seasons are in the past 20 years, in the FCS, from teams coming off a 3-8 campaign. I doubt any NC's but I could be wrong. The thing about GSU fans is that they have unrealistic expectations, a la Alabama fans, due to past glories that are not going to win games in 2007. Sure Hatcher won in D-II and probably will be a very solid coach, but the idea he can immediately dominate the FCS is pretty unrealistic, considering what GSU has gone through. Plus, amidst bashing of BVG, GSU fans forget that if nothing else BVG is a solid defensive mind. Hatcher's reputation is on the offensive side of the ball. You would think after the BVG fiasco GSU fans would be a tick gun shy about predicting domination.

FWIW:

No doubt GSU fans historically expect to win... I'd be the first to admit that , unrealistically in hindsight, last season I thought we'd kick butt and take names under the leadership of the NFL experienced Head Coach, Brian Van Gorder...

Trouble is I got carried away by the BVG hype like most other GSU folks. It didn't take long to find out that BVG might be a good defensive Asst. Coach, but he absolutely had NO capability as a Head Coach.

When you go into a program saying stuff like "If Brian Van Gorder can't win at GSU he isn't much of a coach", or when asked if he had seen the game films on our opponents, he said "no, and don't plan to", or "nope, we don't need any halftime adjustments" you find out pretty quickly that his skills begin and end at coaching the defense....

When you leave one of the top athletes in the SOCON on the bench 3/4 of the time you are absolutely clueless.. BVG NEVER knew what he had in Jayson Foster until it was too late in the season to make a difference... Everyone else who saw Jayson play knew, BVG didn't..?

Bashing BVG continually is :deadhorse: But he took a good football program and basically threw it under the bus... It was all about EGO and "his way"... I feel sorry for the seniors who basically got hosed their senior year.. I feel sorry for Jayson, who basically got either unused, or misused his Junior year.. I feel sorry for the Asst. Coaches who were left hanging when BVG flew the coop... And of course I feel sorry for myself and the other GSU fans who placed such unrealistic expectations on the skills of Brian Van Gorder only to find out that he honestly lacked the skills required of a Head Coach. When I say that, I'm not "whipping a dead horse" because the results of his one year attempt at head coach is out there for all to see.

I started this thread because I was curious as to the thoughts of other fans regarding our chances of success this year. I appreciate everyone who responded, and you can see what a difference of opinions it brought out.

I honestly think our GSU Eagles will win 8 or more games. I think more is likely, but there are so many variables you just never know. I know one thing for sure. Coach Chris Hatcher is so far above BVG in every aspect that we were darn fortunate to hire him, and I think fun football will once again be the name of the game in the 'boro..

Thanks Again,

J. Pomeroy

ButlerGSU
February 18th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Not a chance Citadel comes into Paulson in mid-season and leaves with a win. Write that down Citdog.

Back to the question at hand, I think we'll post 6 to 7 wins. The players I've spoken to on campus hated BVG and I think it showed on the field last season. Hatcher seems to be the kind of guy you can't hate even if you wanted to.

Laserlips
February 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Not a chance Citadel comes into Paulson in mid-season and leaves with a win. Write that down Citdog.

Back to the question at hand, I think we'll post 6 to 7 wins. The players I've spoken to on campus hated BVG and I think it showed on the field last season. Hatcher seems to be the kind of guy you can't hate even if you wanted to.

Weird.. Record as a winner.. With personality.. That'll be nice for a change. :thumbsup:

JP

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I think The Citadel will finish anywhere from fourth to as high as second in the SoCon next season. I think App State and Wofford will probably be a bit better than the Bulldogs and The Citadel will be battling Furman for third place (a team that The Citadel has played some great games with recently and one that is a huge rival). Don't underestimate Kevin Higgins in his third year there (he's one of the top handful of coaches in the FCS) and don't underestimate a Bulldog squad that will be very experienced. I would favor The Citadel over MOST SoCon teams next season, home or away.

On the Georgia Southern front, people thought I was crazy when I predicted the Eagles to win four games last spring. I actually missed by one game and GSU was even worse at 3-8. I expect the Eagles to be improved and win 5 or 6 in 2007. Expecting 14 wins is an absolute joke. I am not sure how three coaches in a span of little more than a year equates to knowing you have recruited players for the last two years that fit your system. Chris Hatcher doesn't even know how these kids will fit his system yet. I expect the Eagles to eventually get back into the Big Three in the SoCon, but your days of dominating are done. The power base has shifted. App State is recruiting the best athletes in the conference now and NO ONE has proven they have caught up to the no huddle spread system the Mountaineers are running. Wofford now has the advantage of being the only option team left in the conference and that is huge from a technical standpoint. Furman is still Furman and will win 7 to 11 games every year and will probably also find a way to lose the big games. Citadel and Elon have great coaches and are building and Chattanooga has been quietly stockpiling talent. Eventually Rodney Allison is going to have the Mocs in position to compete for a playoff berth within the next couple of years. The league is obviously getting better.

I think that Chris Hatcher is a great hire for Georgia Southern, but it is going to take time. Here are the problems with expecting him to win immediately. He doesn't know the SoCon yet and that will cost the Eagles to some degree next year. If you think that VanGorder's offensive system is anything like Hatcher's, you really don't know what Hatcher is trying to do. It will take a little time for that transition to be made. It's hard to know what impact the talented Jayson Foster will have, because we don't even know how Hatcher will utilize him yet. I still think that the biggest area of transition for the Eagles is on the offensive line and it will take at least another year for that to solidify as the new coaches teach pass-blocking techniques to kids who mostly cut block in the option. GSU has also been undersized at OL. On defense, there are some major holes to fill like LB John Mohring and DL Charrod Taylor. It's too early to know how a fourth new defensive system is four or five years will work for the Eagles.

On the subject of losing all those games by 21 points, that really doesn't have a lot of relevance to a new season. The chances you will play all of those teams that close again ins't very likely. It is a new season. There will be some close games, some blowout wins and some tough, lopsided losses.

It's a bad year to be rebuilding in the SoCon. Expecting nine or more wins is a very lofty goal against Georgia Southern's schedule. But be patient, in 2008 the league will have lost some significant seniors and Hatcher will have a year under his belt.

Laserlips
February 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I think The Citadel will finish anywhere from fourth to as high as second in the SoCon next season. I think App State and Wofford will probably be a bit better than the Bulldogs and The Citadel will be battling Furman for third place (a team that The Citadel has played some great games with recently and one that is a huge rival). Don't underestimate Kevin Higgins in his third year there (he's one of the top handful of coaches in the FCS) and don't underestimate a Bulldog squad that will be very experienced. I would favor The Citadel over MOST SoCon teams next season, home or away.

On the Georgia Southern front, people thought I was crazy when I predicted the Eagles to win four games last spring. I actually missed by one game and GSU was even worse at 3-8. I expect the Eagles to be improved and win 5 or 6 in 2007. Expecting 14 wins is an absolute joke. I am not sure how three coaches in a span of little more than a year equates to knowing you have recruited players for the last two years that fit your system. Chris Hatcher doesn't even know how these kids will fit his system yet. I expect the Eagles to eventually get back into the Big Three in the SoCon, but your days of dominating are done. The power base has shifted. App State is recruiting the best athletes in the conference now and NO ONE has proven they have caught up to the no huddle spread system the Mountaineers are running. Wofford now has the advantage of being the only option team left in the conference and that is huge from a technical standpoint. Furman is still Furman and will win 7 to 11 games every year and will probably also find a way to lose the big games. Citadel and Elon have great coaches and are building and Chattanooga has been quietly stockpiling talent. Eventually Rodney Allison is going to have the Mocs in position to compete for a playoff berth within the next couple of years. The league is obviously getting better.

I think that Chris Hatcher is a great hire for Georgia Southern, but it is going to take time. Here are the problems with expecting him to win immediately. He doesn't know the SoCon yet and that will cost the Eagles to some degree next year. If you think that VanGorder's offensive system is anything like Hatcher's, you really don't know what Hatcher is trying to do. It will take a little time for that transition to be made. It's hard to know what impact the talented Jayson Foster will have, because we don't even know how Hatcher will utilize him yet. I still think that the biggest area of transition for the Eagles is on the offensive line and it will take at least another year for that to solidify as the new coaches teach pass-blocking techniques to kids who mostly cut block in the option. GSU has also been undersized at OL. On defense, there are some major holes to fill like LB John Mohring and DL Charrod Taylor. It's too early to know how a fourth new defensive system is four or five years will work for the Eagles.

On the subject of losing all those games by 21 points, that really doesn't have a lot of relevance to a new season. The chances you will play all of those teams that close again ins't very likely. It is a new season. There will be some close games, some blowout wins and some tough, lopsided losses.

It's a bad year to be rebuilding in the SoCon. Expecting nine or more wins is a very lofty goal against Georgia Southern's schedule. But be patient, in 2008 the league will have lost some significant seniors and Hatcher will have a year under his belt.

Mr C:

A well thought out response makes me nervous. I prefer to live in my "senior citizen's" semi-senile "fogland" where hope springs eternal! :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

blueballs
February 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
There's no reason not to think Mr. C's correct on all fronts.

BUT... in watching last year's team I thought the line between success and the train wreck we all witnessed was a reliable QB and reliable kicker (beyond the coaching as we all know it was terrible). If they get those two areas straightened out they can get well in a big hurry because there are some real good players in the program. I still don't think we'll finish any higher than third in the SoCon in 2007 though.

Just for poops and giggles... Mr. C, what do you think would have happened last year and this year if Sewak was still there running the triple option with Foster at QB, Covington at FB, and Maynard and Andrews at SB?

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
There's no reason not to think Mr. C's correct on all fronts.

BUT... in watching last year's team I thought the line between success and the train wreck we all witnessed was a reliable QB and reliable kicker (beyond the coaching as we all know it was terrible). If they get those two areas straightened out they can get well in a big hurry because there are some real good players in the program. I still don't think we'll finish any higher than third in the SoCon in 2007 though.

Just for poops and giggles... Mr. C, what do you think would have happened last year and this year if Sewak was still there running the triple option with Foster at QB, Covington at FB, and Maynard and Andrews at SB?
I think Georgia Southern would have probably finished second or third in the league and have made the playoffs. You had almost your entire offense back, minus Jermaine Austin (who was a big loss) and who knows if circumstances had of been different what would have happened with Teddy Craft. His death was such a fluke accident. Covington wasn't the prototype GSU fullback, but he would have done okay. The OL definitely would have been better off. I think Georgia Southern would have doubled its offensive production and scored about 30 points a game. Defense would have had some of the same struggles with a young secondary and some holes on the defensive line, but Mohring would have been making plays and Taylor probably would have had a better year. The defense wouldn't have had to be as good as it was with an anemic offense last year. I could have seen nine wins, a playoff berth and maybe a run to the quarterfinals.

blueballs
February 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think Georgia Southern would have probably finished second or third in the league and have made the playoffs. You had almost your entire offense back, minus Jermaine Austin (who was a big loss) and who knows if circumstances had of been different what would have happened with Teddy Craft. His death was such a fluke accident. Covington wasn't the prototype GSU fullback, but he would have done okay. The OL definitely would have been better off. I think Georgia Southern would have doubled its offensive production and scored about 30 points a game. Defense would have had some of the same struggles with a young secondary and some holes on the defensive line, but Mohring would have been making plays and Taylor probably would have had a better year. The defense wouldn't have had to be as good as it was with an anemic offense last year. I could have seen nine wins, a playoff berth and maybe a run to the quarterfinals.

That's about what I thought too... and maybe another win in the tournament with the right draw and/or a break or two.

Interestingly enough, this was the year Sewak was really pointing to a couple of years ago. He thought he would be very strong last year and have a chance to win the whole thing this year. Mr. C, did he tell that to you as well?

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Sewak's thoughts on winning the national title were that the best team (or teams) in the SoCon is in position to win a national title every year. History bears that opinion out, because if you win it, you are almost certain to be one of the final four teams. He was excited about what he had coming back on offense in 2006. It probably would have been tough for anyone to have stopped ASU the past two years. Along that line, he thought (like Bobby Lamb did too about Furman) that Georgia Southern let a flag get away from them in 2004. He really liked everything about that team, except that the squad lacked some senior leadership. He said the coaches warned the team about taking New Hampshire lightly and that the players did anyway. I think a lot of SoCon experts thought that Georgia Southern and Furman should have met for the 2004 national title. Furman threw away a game it should have won against James Madison and JMU ended up going the distance. Georgia Southern would have hosted Montana in the quarters and we all know that the Eagles would have been heavily favored at home.

youwouldno
February 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I don't think its fair to say Furman will perpetually lose big games. 1 yard line fumbles or slips seem to be something that both can't be controlled by the coach and also something unlikely to happen a lot. Furman is the last FCS team to beat App St and getting two playoff wins in 2005 wasn't bad considering the Paladins, until the postseason at least, had no defense whatsoever.

Lamb is probably one of the most underrated coaches in the FCS... 29-8 against FCS teams in the past 3 years. Last home loss was the 2004 fiasco against JMU. He's still a relatively young coach putting his mark on the program, which includes greater emphasis on athleticism, which I think is wise.

For 2007, Furman is the 2nd most talented team, and if App St's DL struggles at all maybe not even 2nd most, and while Ayers and Higgins are excellent coaches they aren't so much better than Lamb that it's likely one of them finishes 2nd.

parr90
February 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Alot of folks seem to know alot about my team. We will win 9 regular season games this year.

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Alot of folks seem to know alot about my team. We will win 9 regular season games this year.

And I'm a Yankee!xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

seantaylor
February 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Mr.C is absolutely crazy to think that Appy is outrecruiting GSU. We recruit Georgia and Florida, and have a much better national name than Appy. You've won the conference the last two years because of one thing. Coaching. That is changing now and GSU will be back on top like always. Not to mention that you are the biggest homer on the board, and we all know your feeling towards GSU.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Sean, why the anger?

Recruiting is a very subjective thing, but the results on the field are not. Obviously when a team wins back-to-back championships, they are doing something right with recruiting. When you have a quarterback come in and start as a true freshman on a national championship squad, you are doing something right. When a team produces nine All-Americans (ASU's total from all of the various teams) and is putting players in the NFL and CFL, somebody is doing a good job with recruiting. And by the way, of those All-Americans, Jeremy Wiggins, Daniel Bettis and Kerry Brown are all from Georgia. Corey Lynch is from Florida. The Mountaineers do quite well with recruiting in Georgia and Florida (and South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia etc.). Saying Georgia Southern has a bigger national name might not be true anymore. Appalachian State has played a truckload of national television games in the past two years and isn't exactly suffering from under-exposure right now. Sorry that the truth hurts. I don't see any of the other GSU posters jumping on my comments here. And what are my feelings about GSU? Are you speaking for me now? I have as deep a respect for the Eagles as anyone and wish that GSU gets things turned around as quickly as possible, because having a strong Eagle program only makes the SoCon better. Call me "the biggest homer on the board" if you like, but show me facts that what I'm posting is inaccurate.

seantaylor
February 19th, 2007, 03:12 AM
We all know the hacket job you did on Baker last year. To say that Appy is out recruiting GSU is ludicrous. Edwards was a Sewak recruit. He swichted his stance when POS came in. He panned out for Appy. But our best recruit last year, Carson Hill, was a much more sought after player than Edwards. Edwards could turn out the better player, but GSU is still getting the better high school recruits in terms of name recognition. I know you don't think that Appy outrecruited GSU this year do you? This year was maybe our best recruiting class ever.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Dude I am ashamed that I live in the same city with you. Edwards might turn out to be the better player? He's already got a ring! How many your boy got? App must be outrecruiting you they have won the LAST TWO NC'S! High school recruits name recognition? That an .75 will get you a 3-8 season! You had your best recruiting class with a coaching change a few weeks before signing day? Sell that bull****e over on TSC you might find some buyers there! Mr. C has more knowledge of FCS and SoCon Football than you will ever have, I suggest you give him the respect he deserves.

seantaylor
February 19th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I am ashamed that you went to a garbage school like the Citadel. Since we live in the same city I'm going to call you out. Just because the Citadel is a never-has-been don't call me out. Here's my challenge. You say the ****adel will win 8 or 9 games. I say for $100 that GSU beats El Cid. I will send you my address and my # if you are game playboy.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I am ashamed that you went to a garbage school like the Citadel. Since we live in the same city I'm going to call you out. Just because the Citadel is a never-has-been don't call me out. Here's my challenge. You say the ****adel will win 8 or 9 games. I say for $100 that GSU beats El Cid. I will send you my address and my # if you are game playboy.

I went to a garbage school!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I think we both know who has the better reputation! No, we don't live in the same city. I live between the Ashley and the Cooper you do not. I will take your money. Do you want to just go ahead and give it to me?

seantaylor
February 19th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I went to a garbage school!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I think we both know who has the better reputation! No, we don't live in the same city. I live between the Ashley and the Cooper you do not. I will take your money. Do you want to just go ahead and give it to me?

It's on. I guarentee you that 95% of this board agrees that GSU will easily beat ****adel in Paulson. PM your info. I didn't know Isle of Palms became a city. I need to get in touch with the Chamber of Commerce, because apparently I'm getting screwed.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 04:21 AM
IOP has been a city for 30 years! You are real observant aren't you!:nod: The name of my school is The Citadel and i'd app. it if you would refer to it in that manner. El Cid is ok too. The name you called it:nono:

seantaylor
February 19th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you and your prestigious school.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you and your prestigious school.

see I was sure you had some manners!:nod:

February 19th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Thanks guys

seantaylor
February 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Huh

February 19th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Wha

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 04:38 AM
who

February 19th, 2007, 04:39 AM
you're on the discussion board so show some respect...

blueballs
February 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Mr.C's exactly right in everything he said about ASU vis a vis GSU at the current time. The results on the field and off the field at GSU are what GSU faithful scoffed at just a very short time ago. From a "snapshot/picture in time" standpoint we are no better off then the fourth best program in the conference right now as you can't objectively say we're a better program RIGHT NOW than Furman or Wofford either.

There can be no questioning the fact that the juggarnaut that was GSU football was mismanaged from the top (AD) down and the check came due on the mismanagement last year. Everything would seem to be in place (nice facilities, strong fan base, $$$, good talent base) for a quick return to the upper echelon of the division but until it happens it is all just talk.

Mr. C was also right in general in his comments about Baker last year. Perhaps he could have said it in a more tactful way but the way the events unfolded proved him correct.

ASU is the leader of the pack in the entire division and until another program in this division whips them on the field, which hasn't happened in 2 years, that's the way it'll be. They have won back to back NC's and averaged 20k plus in attendance. At this point in time they're the alpha dog and everybody else is their biotch.

As far as Citadel is concerned, yeah they play GSU tough and actually win one once in a while, but there is no comparing the two programs. The best year Citadel has had in 15 years would be considered a disappointment at GSU... 'nuff said.

Laserlips
February 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I love to watch a good thread go bad!

Here's my GSU fan take on El Cid and GSU...

Season after season GSU fans know we are in for a battle with some teams.. We know we might be in for a whipping..

El Cid is not one of those teams.

I know you got us last year, but in all due respect I think under the mis-guidance of BVG the Statesboro High School football team would have had a real good shot at winning too...

I don't think El Cid will come into Paulson this season and leave a winner.

But, I'm not placing a $100.00 bet on it either..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Ok, really. How many times has there actually been suprises in the SoCon? I mean, when was the last time a dark horse made a run (wofford?).

The Citadel is good. They will play Furman tough and both of us know it. Until they break out of mediocrity there is absolutely no reason to think they will win 8 games.

GSU will be much better. The will go to Boone and get whipped by Appalachian. Furman is a better football team, but that doesn't mean much when the game is in Statesboro. Outside of App and Colorado State, the Eagles have a chance at winning every other game. Will that happen? No. They will drop a shouldawon to a team or two (maybe El Cid).

trusty
February 19th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Ok, really. How many times has there actually been suprises in the SoCon? I mean, when was the last time a dark horse made a run (wofford?).

The Citadel is good. They will play Furman tough and both of us know it. Until they break out of mediocrity there is absolutely no reason to think they will win 8 games.

GSU will be much better. The will go to Boone and get whipped by Appalachian. Furman is a better football team, but that doesn't mean much when the game is in Statesboro. Outside of App and Colorado State, the Eagles have a chance at winning every other game. Will that happen? No. They will drop a shouldawon to a team or two (maybe El Cid).

We may get surprised by another team this year but not El Cid. Not at Homecoming and with El Cid winning last year. Our guys will be ready for a little pay back. I would not be surprised if it is a blow out. I think GSU record will fall either 8 - 3, or 7 - 4 and playoffs (not sure how we will do here). :twocents:

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
6 = confident - WE CAN DO IT!!
7 = Hopefull - with some breaks
8 = would be great - above expectations
9+ = Not Likely - OK now we're just HOMERS

spelunker64
February 19th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm not too familiar with your opponents so I'm not going to make any guesses, but I think this thread is worthless without showing the schedule and then placing a W or L behind the game. Just throwing out a number doesn't prove much.

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
West Ga = W - Warm up
Coastal Car = W - Hopefully with a little luck
UTC = W - Payback Beeotch
W Car = W
S Dak St = W
Elon = W
App ST
Citadel = W - Not in OUR HOUSE
Wofford
Furman
Colorado State

bandl
February 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
4-7

5-6 with a little luck.

Give GSU a year to rebuild their program (again) and they'll be back in 2008. Not yet though.

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I think 5 or 6 wins this year. But next year could be a higher win count. :nod:

spelunker64
February 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
West Ga = W - Warm up
W Car = W
S Dak St = W
Elon = W
App ST
Wofford
Furman
Colorado State

Thanks Flex, but I think you're going to have your hands full with the Rabbits. :twocents:

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thats a possibility - but it should be HOT out with lots of gnats,and we will have 4 games under our belts with the new O. Plus - We could pull one out of our arsess and beat APP ST - went went to OT last year, Furman - it's at Home, or Wofford.

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Thats a possibility - but it should be HOT out with lots of gnats,and we will have 4 games under our belts with the new O. Plus - We could pull one out of our arsess and beat APP ST - went went to OT last year, Furman - it's at Home, or Wofford.
Yeah, but now you'll be playing at KB. Just a little different than playing us in Paulson. :nod:

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah, but now you'll be playing at KB. Just a little different than playing us in Paulson. :nod:
Oh Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we will win vs the new SoCon King of the jungle - just that we still have a chance - how much of a chance? I'm not willing to bet on it! But none the less - Stranger things have happened an example would be "Who would have thought we would have been 3-8 with losses to Central Conn, UTC, Citadel, etc..?"

james_lawfirm
February 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
West Ga = W - Warm up
W Car = W
S Dak St = W
Elon = W
App ST
Wofford
Furman
Colorado State

West Ga = W - AGREE w/ Flexbone
Coastal Car = W - AGREE w/ Flexbone
UTC = W - MAYBE
W Car = W - AGREE w/ Flex
S Dak St = W - Nope; L. Sorry Flex.
Elon = W - Nope; L. Sorry Flex.
App ST = L
Citadel = W - Nope; L. Sorry Flex.
Wofford = L
Furman = L
Colorado State = L

So, GaSo goes 5 - 7, winning 1st 5 & losing last 7, (IF they beat UTC, not a given). I think El Cid will be # 3 or 4 in the SoCon this year, & will have a pretty good chance in Statesboro. As much as I want to see GaSo get back to their winning ways, it just won't happen running through Head Coaches like they were new cleats. Good luck, Eagles.

OL FU
February 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
West Ga = W - AGREE w/ Flexbone
UTC = W - MAYBE
App ST = L
Wofford = L
Furman = L
Colorado State = L

So, GaSo goes 5 - 7, winning 1st 5 & losing last 7, (IF they beat UTC, not a given). I think El Cid will be # 3 or 4 in the SoCon this year, & will have a pretty good chance in Statesboro. As much as I want to see GaSo get back to their winning ways, it just won't happen running through Head Coaches like they were new cleats. Good luck, Eagles.

I don't know what SDSU has back from last year, but the way they finished 2006 I don't think I would pick the eagles without thinking very hard about that game.

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I LOVE IT - Good SoCon Football discusion in Feb.!!!!!!!!!

flexbone
February 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm]West Ga = W - AGREE w/ Flexbone
UTC = W - MAYBE
App ST = L
Wofford = L
Furman = L
Colorado State = L

Are you SERIOUS or are you just trying to mess with me -
Elon and Citadel won't beat us next year. I know they are both getting better but I think you are underestimating the EAGLES.

OL FU
February 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
UTC = W - MAYBE
App ST = L
Wofford = L
Furman = L
Colorado State = L

Elon and Citadel won't beat us next year. I know they are both getting better but I think you are underestimating the EAGLES.

You may be right and Mr Law Firm may be right, but I think it would be hard for anyone to seriously question someone's estimation of the Eagles, after last year. :rolleyes:

Mr, Law firm, is that a greenville firm?

GGASU
February 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Georgia Southern still has a lot of talent, and now they have a great coach to lead them.

Games they should win: West Georgia, Elon, UTC, WCU, CCU

Games they might win: Citadel, Wofford, SDSU

Longshot games: Furman, Colorado State

No Chance in Hell game:smiley_wi : ASU

I will say 7-4, but if they get to 8-3 or better could be a dangerous playoff team.

blueballs
February 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Georgia Southern still has a lot of talent, and now they have a great coach to lead them.

I will say 7-4, but if they get to 8-3 or better could be a dangerous playoff team.

All kidding aside you're likely correct for the most part. I'd think GSU would have a better chance at home against Furman than on the road against Wofford in 2007. Swap those two and I agree...

spelunker64
February 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM

The HOT excuse was tried last year on us too. How'd that turn out!

ChadWC
February 19th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Remember....the Purples(Furman) have never beaten us at home during the regular season (if my memory serves me correctly) and its a rivalry game so both squads will be ready to go. IMO it goes like this:

West Georgia, Coastal, Chatty, Western, SDSU, Elon, Citadel, and Furman are games we should win.

The iffy games are: Wofford and Colorado State(call me crazy but if we are worth a crap and these guys are like they were last year (4-8 losing their last 7), we might get them being overconfident).

Game we won't be expected to win is a no-brainer: Appy and the Yosefs.

Last year we were in every game down to the wire except 2. We have better coaching and some extremely talented recievers. Hatch's biggest suprise won't be his offense though, I think everyone will be impressed with his defense. At Valdosta, they were known as the "Black Swarm" and they certainly knew how to play. A great recruiting class is coming in and we will have running backs out the yang. I don't forsee this season being a full blown "Hatch Attack" throwing the ball 85% of the time because he would be crazy not to utilize the RB's he has. May be more of a 60-40 ratio with us looking more like West Virginia than Texas Tech. Also remember, we have the X factor on our team: Jayson Foster. I don't like predictions this early but I can see 8-3 easily or even 9-2 if we steal one we aren't supposed to. More 8-3 though with a W we aren't supposed to get and a L we shouldn't have.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
8-3 xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

when you go 5-6 i will scream "I TOLD YOU SO":nod:

ASU
February 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I believe somewhere between seven and nine games realistically.
With the coach they got.....anything could happen.

trusty
February 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=GGASU]Georgia Southern still has a lot of talent, and now they have a great coach to lead them.

Games they should win: West GA, Elon, UTC, WCU, CCU, Citadel

Games they might win: Furman, Wofford, SDSU, APP State, Colorado State

I think with the amount of talent that we have returning, better coaching (that will make adjustments, knows how to win, etc.), and a kicker then we have a shot in every game this year. Smiley you can't say no way in Hell when we were very close in winning last year. Anything is possible:nod:

parr90
February 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=citdog]Dude I am ashamed that I live in the same city with you. Edwards might turn out to be the better player? He's already got a ring! How many your boy got? App must be outrecruiting you they have won the LAST TWO NC'S! High school recruits name recognition? That an .75 will get you a 3-8 season! You had your best recruiting class with a coaching change a few weeks before signing day? Sell that bull****e over on TSC you might find some buyers there! Mr. C has more knowledge of FCS and SoCon Football than you will ever have, I suggest you give him the respect he deserves.[/QUOTe

What a joke! Respect. Mr C may know some things about football but you and he are wrong about recruiting in this respect. Recruiting so called great classes dont mean your going to win. Its mostly to do with how those guys can play together. Winning the recruiting war doesnt make you a national champion. It helps. UGA up until this year has had the top 3 classes in the nation for 5 years of mark ritch. Why havent they won. GSU, when I played there, had it been measured, didnt have the best classes either. We won two NC with what many say were nonames. I even rememer pounding the Citadel twice in one year, once during the season and once during the playoffs.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
8-3 xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

My sentiments exactly.

parr90
February 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The HOT excuse was tried last year on us too. How'd that turn out!

You beat us during the worst season in our history, even the heat couldnt help us last year.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Sidenote, West Ga is a DII team but hardly a pushover. Furman beat them, but it was a tough game for us. Also remember that they have seen Hatcher and his offense every year as Valdosta and UWG were conference rivals.

GSU will win that game, but it might be a good deal closer than Eagle fans would like.

bobbythekidd
February 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Sidenote, West Ga is a DII team but hardly a pushover. Furman beat them, but it was a tough game for us. Also remember that they have seen Hatcher and his offense every year as Valdosta and UWG were conference rivals.

GSU will win that game, but it might be a good deal closer than Eagle fans would like.
I disagree. Hatcher knows how they play ball. This is an advantage GSU. They will be ramped up for the game, sure, but so will GSU. We played out first game under the field lights against West GA. Naturally, we figured a secure win would be icing on the cake for the first night game. Well, they won.: smh : The Eagles have waited over a decade to avenge the most embarrasing home loss in history. Advantage GSU, again.

I doubt it will be that close unless Hacth calls off the dogs.

youwouldno
February 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
The West Ga game was one of the worst performances by Furman last year, and we had some bad ones. They might slow GSU down a little on offense, so maybe 41-3 or something.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 05:50 PM
We all know the hacket job you did on Baker last year. To say that Appy is out recruiting GSU is ludicrous. Edwards was a Sewak recruit. He swichted his stance when POS came in. He panned out for Appy. But our best recruit last year, Carson Hill, was a much more sought after player than Edwards. Edwards could turn out the better player, but GSU is still getting the better high school recruits in terms of name recognition. I know you don't think that Appy outrecruited GSU this year do you? This year was maybe our best recruiting class ever.
I guess some people can't handle the TRUTH. Even a lot of Eagle fans agree with me about Baker now, after the VanGorder debacle.

Fact One: The FIRST team to recruit Armanti Edwards was The Citadel. Kevin Higgins was the first coach to go to Edwards' home. Armanti had a friend playing at The Citadel and he was recruited heavily by Higgins, but didn't want the military lifestyle. Appalachian State was one of the few other schools that offered him a scholarship. Some folks like Clemson were interested in him as a DB or WR. ASU brought him in as a QB. Who cares if someone else was more recruited than Edwards. Edwards was the FCS FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR. He was the first freshman QB to lead his team to the national title. You think some of those folks that didn't recruit him might reconsider if they had it to do over? He is one of only a half-dozen QBs to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 2,000 in a season. Only Keith Smith of Missouri did it as a freshman. We're talking about names like Vince Young and Barrick Nealy here, great QBS. We will see what Carson Hill does, but we already know what Edwards HAS done. Edwards, by the way, has told me with his own mouth that he had little interest in Georgia Southern. He was 100 percent the whole way with Appalachian State after his visit to Boone.

Fact Two: Name recognition now doesn't equate to success later. There are a lot of FCS teams (ASU and Northern Iowa are two that come to mind) that have recruiting methods that are successful, but don't always draw the praises of Rival, or one of those other overblown recruiting services. We all know how many times Chattanooga has been considered to have the top recruiting class. And how many players like Matt Stevens has ASU had? He was a 140-pound walk-on, who turned into a 210-pound All-American that was projected as a first-round draft choice before enduring reconstructive knee surgery as a senior. Even still, Stevens was a third-round draft choice, who retired after eight NFL seasons with a Super Bowl ring. Some teams see talent in places that others don't.

As for recruiting this year, there is NO WAY that a staff is hired less than two weeks before national signing day and has "our best recruiting class ever." All I know about ASU's class is that I've never seen the staff more excited than they were that day. They were going up against FBS schools for a lot of players and for the second year in a row lost only one player that they gave offers to. That is pretty successful. When you show me how many GSU players from this class go on to NFL careers (something not many Eagles have done, even with all of their success over the years) and when you show me how many rings they have in four or five years, maybe you will have something to argue about.

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
6 games!

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I think you are forgeting the terms of service with this post. Shame on you for personal attacks. By the way, The Citadel was producing GREAT talent long before Georgia Southern was fielding a team. Ever hear of Paul Maguire or Stump Mitchell (just remembering two of many names)? The Citadel has been ranked No. 1 in the country within the past 15 years. The Bulldogs have probably the most significant upset of a I-A team (Arkansas) in I-AA history. The Bulldogs might have had a drought for the past decade, but don't put down what has been a proud, proud program. There is much more body of work to suggest that The Citadel will be one of the top teams in the SoCon this year than that Georgia Southern will.

bobbythekidd
February 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM
When you show me how many GSU players from this class go on to NFL careers (something not many Eagles have done, even with all of their success over the years) and when you show me how many rings they have in four or five years, maybe you will have something to argue about.
Curious Mr. C, how many ASU guys have moved to the NFL?

Good post.

parr90
February 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
GSU has never put out many pro players. The option doesnt produce players that the NFL wants. Also, putting guys in the pros doesnt mean your team had the best recruiting classes. I played pro and believe me the NFL is very biased to size, wieght and speed. There are many guys that could have played but didnt because of their physical qualities. Sure physical qualities can be an advantage but they dont make the player the best.

Mountaineer
February 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
parr90 and seantaylor - might as well get it up guys. The C. is gonna run circles around ya if you're going to debate him. xlolx :rotateh: xlolx

:thumbsup:

parr90
February 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
No debate here son, not in my mind. As a former college player, pro player and high school coach, I think I know a little about recruiting.

February 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
No debate here son, not in my mind. As a former college player, pro player and high school coach, I think I know a little about recruiting.So was this year Georgia Southern's finest recruiting year ever?

NDSUFREAK
February 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
6-5

February 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
6-5Did you know Georgia Southern existed two years ago? :p

NDSUFREAK
February 19th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Did you know Georgia Southern existed two years ago? :p

2 1/2......................LAWL. Again, I have respect for the teams but I guess I am too young to know about this stuff huh??:read: xlolx

parr90
February 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
So was this year Georgia Southern's finest recruiting year ever?

I never said it was but time will tell. Depends how they end up playing.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 06:51 PM
How many of last years non-qualifers did you take from FUMA? How many questionable sat's?

blueballs
February 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Ralph...Is there any way we can save this thread and come back to it in November?

I'm kinda intrigued by all these "experts," 'specially those whose teams haven't sniffed the playoffs since the Bush 42 administration, and how their prognostications play out.

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Ralph...Is there any way we can save this thread and come back to it in November?

I'm kinda intrigued by all these "experts," 'specially those whose teams haven't sniffed the playoffs since the Bush 42 administration, and how their prognostications play out.

I guess you could call me an expert! I have been watching SoCon Football since Stump Mitchell ran for the 'Dogs. You had no team then and were known as a pretty good baseball school. I was happy to see you enter our conference as the GSU people I met in Omaha when The Citadel and GSU were both in the College World Series were nice. I still don't believe that most of the people who have given your school the reputation as a "I made the trip once and will never go back" school are students or Alumni but local south ga yahoos who can't handle their drink. I like the trip down there but always stay in Savannah, so I can get the hell out of that one horse town and back to civiliation!

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Curious Mr. C, how many ASU guys have moved to the NFL?

Good post.
Since I started covering the SoCon, some of the ASU guys that have played in the league have included OL Derrick Graham, DL Mike Frier, P Mark Royals, P Harold Alexander, K Bjorn Nittmo, RB John Settle, LB Rico Mack, G Kevin Farkas, LB Dexter Coakley (three-time Pro Bowler, maybe the greatest defensive player in I-AA history), CB Matt Stevens, LB Justin Seaverns, WR-KR Troy Albea, TE Daniel Wilcox, TE Frank Leatherwood, FS Corey Hall, and DE Jason Hunter

If you want to include CFL players, you had OL Wayne Smith, who was the No. 1 overall draft pick, WR-KR DaVon Fowlkes, and QB Richie Williams. In the AFL, there have been CB Jamie Coleman, FB-DL Josh Jeffries, WR Andrew Layton, DL Jamie Lovern, FB-DL William Peebles, along with probably a few others I've missed.

Among this year's squad that will at least get a shot as free agents in the NFL in 2007 are Marques Murrell, Arthur Orlebar, Monte Smith, Jeremy Wiggins, Daniel Bettis, William Mayfield. Returning players that NFL people tell me are possible NFL players in the future include OG Kerry Brown, RB Kevin Richardson, QB Armanti Edwards (probably at another position) and FS Corey Lynch. And a few more will probably develop into NFL-caliber players.

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 09:12 PM
No debate here son, not in my mind. As a former college player, pro player and high school coach, I think I know a little about recruiting.
As someone who has covered college football for 30 years, I know a little bit about it, too.

I wasn't saying that pro success is the only measurement of recruiting. It is one measure. The record and number of championships is another. You are absolutely right about chemistry, too. My take on Georgia Southern over the years (and one of the major reasons I hated to see the Administration obliterate the option) is that the Eagles had an amazing system on offense and had tremendous coaching. You don't coaches much better than Erk Russell and Paul Johnson. I've never seen ANY coach better at making adjustments on the fly than PJ and I've had many coaches around the FCS tell me the same. I don't think that GSU always had the best athletes. Sometimes all Russell or Johnson needed was a really special player or two (Tracy Ham and Adrian Peterson are two that come to mind) and then other complimentary guys to fill roles and viola, you had a championship.

One of the strengths of Appalachian State right now is the offensive system (the defense is quite similar to what has been in place at ASU for the past 15 years or more) is ahead of everyone else. It's like the wishbone at Texas or Oklahoma in the 1960s and 70s. No one has figured out how to stop the no huddle spread yet. That's why every NCAA team to win a national title in the past two years has run basically the same offense.

Laserlips
February 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I guess you could call me an expert! I have been watching SoCon Football since Stump Mitchell ran for the 'Dogs. You had no team then and were known as a pretty good baseball school. I was happy to see you enter our conference as the GSU people I met in Omaha when The Citadel and GSU were both in the College World Series were nice. I still don't believe that most of the people who have given your school the reputation as a "I made the trip once and will never go back" school are students or Alumni but local south ga yahoos who can't handle their drink. I like the trip down there but always stay in Savannah, so I can get the hell out of that one horse town and back to civiliation!

citdog:

You could be right about the "yahoos".. We definitely have our share.. But apparently we don't have a lock on those folks, as we've seen their brethern at many away games in years past.. :D

But actually Statesboro was a "one horse, and one ass town" until BVG got on the Greyhound... Now we are back to just one horse, and Atlanta has another "ass" in the stable of the Atlanta Falcons.. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I hope the folks in Statesboro treat ya good when you come down for your whippin' in Paulson this season.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

OL FU
February 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Remember....the Purples(Furman) have never beaten us at home during the regular season (if my memory serves me correctly) and its a rivalry game so both squads will be ready to go. IMO it goes like this:

West Georgia, Coastal, Chatty, Western, SDSU, Elon, Citadel, and Furman are games we should win.

The iffy games are: Wofford and Colorado State(call me crazy but if we are worth a crap and these guys are like they were last year (4-8 losing their last 7), we might get them being overconfident).

Game we won't be expected to win is a no-brainer: Appy and the Yosefs.

Last year we were in every game down to the wire except 2. We have better coaching and some extremely talented recievers. Hatch's biggest suprise won't be his offense though, I think everyone will be impressed with his defense. At Valdosta, they were known as the "Black Swarm" and they certainly knew how to play. A great recruiting class is coming in and we will have running backs out the yang. I don't forsee this season being a full blown "Hatch Attack" throwing the ball 85% of the time because he would be crazy not to utilize the RB's he has. May be more of a 60-40 ratio with us looking more like West Virginia than Texas Tech. Also remember, we have the X factor on our team: Jayson Foster. I don't like predictions this early but I can see 8-3 easily or even 9-2 if we steal one we aren't supposed to. More 8-3 though with a W we aren't supposed to get and a L we shouldn't have.

Furman may not have beaten you at home during the regular season but West Georgia has. So there is one lossxlolx

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I guess some people can't handle the TRUTH. Even a lot of Eagle fans agree with me about Baker now, after the VanGorder debacle.

Fact One: The FIRST team to recruit Armanti Edwards was The Citadel. Kevin Higgins was the first coach to go to Edwards' home. Armanti had a friend playing at The Citadel and he was recruited heavily by Higgins, but didn't want the military lifestyle. Appalachian State was one of the few other schools that offered him a scholarship. Some folks like Clemson were interested in him as a DB or WR. ASU brought him in as a QB. Who cares if someone else was more recruited than Edwards. Edwards was the FCS FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR. He was the first freshman QB to lead his team to the national title. You think some of those folks that didn't recruit him might reconsider if they had it to do over? He is one of only a half-dozen QBs to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 2,000 in a season. Only Keith Smith of Missouri did it as a freshman. We're talking about names like Vince Young and Barrick Nealy here, great QBS. We will see what Carson Hill does, but we already know what Edwards HAS done. Edwards, by the way, has told me with his own mouth that he had little interest in Georgia Southern. He was 100 percent the whole way with Appalachian State after his visit to Boone.

Fact Two: Name recognition now doesn't equate to success later. There are a lot of FCS teams (ASU and Northern Iowa are two that come to mind) that have recruiting methods that are successful, but don't always draw the praises of Rival, or one of those other overblown recruiting services. We all know how many times Chattanooga has been considered to have the top recruiting class. And how many players like Matt Stevens has ASU had? He was a 140-pound walk-on, who turned into a 210-pound All-American that was projected as a first-round draft choice before enduring reconstructive knee surgery as a senior. Even still, Stevens was a third-round draft choice, who retired after eight NFL seasons with a Super Bowl ring. Some teams see talent in places that others don't.

As for recruiting this year, there is NO WAY that a staff is hired less than two weeks before national signing day and has "our best recruiting class ever." All I know about ASU's class is that I've never seen the staff more excited than they were that day. They were going up against FBS schools for a lot of players and for the second year in a row lost only one player that they gave offers to. That is pretty successful. When you show me how many GSU players from this class go on to NFL careers (something not many Eagles have done, even with all of their success over the years) and when you show me how many rings they have in four or five years, maybe you will have something to argue about.

Don't mean to nitpick, but i believe you mean Brad Smith, who is now a receiver with the Jets. (my contribution to the SoCon discussion:) )

james_lawfirm
February 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
UTC = W - MAYBE
App ST = L
Wofford = L
Furman = L
Colorado State = L

Nope, I was serious. You fellers seem to think that coaches don't matter. That you can change coaches like you change yer britches & everything will still work the same as it used to. 'Taint so. It don't work like that in FCS football, the NFL, the NBA, peewee baseball, or 4 yr. old soccer teams. Well, maybe for 4 yr. olds.

I wish GaSo the best of luck. They're going to need it this year. The new coach (Hatcher?) better be pretty thick skinned, or else you alums better down-size your expectations. And yes, I pick Elon & El Cid over GaSo in '07. Please give him at least two or three years before you run him out of town. 5 - 7 is my best guess.

james_lawfirm
February 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=flexbone]

You may be right and Mr Law Firm may be right, but I think it would be hard for anyone to seriously question someone's estimation of the Eagles, after last year. :rolleyes:

Mr, Law firm, is that a greenville firm?

OL FU:

Not a Greenville firm. Morganton, NC. Truth is, when I first signed up on here, I plugged in "James_lawfirm" & later regretted it. References to the learned profession seem somehow inappropriate on a web-blog for FCS football. Would have preferred something more along the lines of "AppFan". The administrator/monitors of AGS have deemed it appropriate to insure that your first name remains with you forever & I could not change it. In fact, once I realized what I did, I did not post for about 9 months. So, I got over it.

In any event, I have enjoyed your many posts over the years I have been lurking here, and during the last couple I have been posting. I presume you will attend the ASU/Furman game at Furman this year. Would enjoy meeting you to tailgate. I will be there with my wife & 2 sons. Let me know.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Few responses:

West Georgia's defense is one of the best in the Gulf South. Their offense is terrible but their defense is good. In case you were wondering Hatcher's vaunted attack was most recently stopped 29-15 in 2005 by the Wolves. GSU will win, but I highly doubt it will be by 30 or more.

I'm scared of playing GSU on the road. I think for the second time in 3 years Furman will enter the game the favorite and the overall better football team. Furman coaches have said they were overjoyed when GSU dropped the option. The Eagles only managed 10 points on the Paladins and their only touchdown came on a 76 yrd Foster run. Their offense has a long way to go.

JDC325
February 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=flexbone]

Nope, I was serious. You fellers seem to think that coaches don't matter. That you can change coaches like you change yer britches & everything will still work the same as it used to. 'Taint so. It don't work like that in FCS football, the NFL, the NBA, peewee baseball, or 4 yr. old soccer teams. Well, maybe for 4 yr. olds.

I wish GaSo the best of luck. They're going to need it this year. The new coach (Hatcher?) better be pretty thick skinned, or else you alums better down-size your expectations. And yes, I pick Elon & El Cid over GaSo in '07. Please give him at least two or three years before you run him out of town. 5 - 7 is my best guess.

Head says 5-6 wins
Homer Heart says 8

We beat Elon last year being totally lost I dont see it happening this year. I will give that the El Cid has a good shot but I just dont see it happening in our house. As an App fan you know we play well above our heads at home.

james_lawfirm
February 21st, 2007, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm]

Head says 5-6 wins
Homer Heart says 8

We beat Elon last year being totally lost I dont see it happening this year. I will give that the El Cid has a good shot but I just dont see it happening in our house. As an App fan you know we play well above our heads at home.

That is true. I was at the GSU/ASU game last year. I have NEVER been more exhausted after just WATCHING a football game. Yeah, the sun was hot that day, but so was the game.

But, I still think that you guys need to be patient with your new coach. There will be kinks in the scheme of things down there that a veteran coach won't have problems with anymore. And that is no matter how good your players are. In my opinion, one of ASU's little recognized strengths is Coach Moore has been there 18+ years, AND many of the assistant coaches have been with him a long time as well. They are all singing the same tune to the team & each knows what is expected of him.

I really will be pulling for GaSo this year, except for one game that is. ;)

OL FU
February 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=OL FU]

OL FU:

Not a Greenville firm. Morganton, NC. Truth is, when I first signed up on here, I plugged in "James_lawfirm" & later regretted it. References to the learned profession seem somehow inappropriate on a web-blog for FCS football. Would have preferred something more along the lines of "AppFan". The administrator/monitors of AGS have deemed it appropriate to insure that your first name remains with you forever & I could not change it. In fact, once I realized what I did, I did not post for about 9 months. So, I got over it.

In any event, I have enjoyed your many posts over the years I have been lurking here, and during the last couple I have been posting. I presume you will attend the ASU/Furman game at Furman this year. Would enjoy meeting you to tailgate. I will be there with my wife & 2 sons. Let me know.

I plan on being there yes. However I usually don't do a lot of tailgating. My 10 year daughter has a struggle enough sitting through the games much less tailgating several hours before. But getting together somewhere somehow would be a pleasure.

james_lawfirm
February 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm]

I plan on being there yes. However I usually don't do a lot of tailgating. My 10 year daughter has a struggle enough sitting through the games much less tailgating several hours before. But getting together somewhere somehow would be a pleasure.

OL FU:

Unless there is a conflict w/ soccer games, both my sons, ages 11 & 13, will be there with us. Not sure about any details yet, of course, but I'll try to send a message closer to the game.

TonkaBison
February 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
I was at the game last year and have to compliment your fans for being a class act "except for the one freaked out student". A lot will depend on what kind of offense your coach plans on running. You definitely have the offensive weapons you just lacked the offensive line size that's what allowed us to win in the end.

I look for you to do good things and I hope your new coach makes better on field decisions. I saw your QB walk back to the huddle like a drunken sailor after getting sacked (I think that's when he got the concussion) and he wasn't pulled out until the next play when he bobbled the snap and was sacked again.

I'm going with 7 wins based on the offense I saw last year and betting the line is beefier. See you in Fargo in 2009! :hurray:

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I think you are forgeting the terms of service with this post. Shame on you for personal attacks. By the way, The Citadel was producing GREAT talent long before Georgia Southern was fielding a team. Ever hear of Paul Maguire or Stump Mitchell (just remembering two of many names)? The Citadel has been ranked No. 1 in the country within the past 15 years. The Bulldogs have probably the most significant upset of a I-A team (Arkansas) in I-AA history. The Bulldogs might have had a drought for the past decade, but don't put down what has been a proud, proud program. There is much more body of work to suggest that The Citadel will be one of the top teams in the SoCon this year than that Georgia Southern will.

Who needs me or Citdog to play cheerleaders when we have you, Mr. C? Thanks for the props to what has been a proud tradition for most of the 20th century.

You left out a couple points, though. We also boast some other names that have either coached or played at El Cid. Bobby Ross and Al Davis come to mind. Also, in the 1992 season when we beat Arkansas, we also finished as the regular season national champs (doesnt mean much with a playoffs, though), tied with McNeese St, if memory serves. The year before that, we beat the Gamecocks in their own stadium.

Some folks (even at El Cid) seem to forget that in those years, we were playing two DI-A teams a year, just like we typically do now. We played Army and Navy a couple times each during that period. We won them all. In fact, during Charlie Taaffe's tenure, we were something like 7-1 versus I-A teams, and in at least one season we beat two of them. The one team that beat us was Air Force; 10-7, and we had like 3 field goals called back since we couldn't seem to line up behind the ball LOL!

It hasn't happened in a while, but when I was there in the 80's and early 90's, we were a fixture in the I-AA top 20 polls, and usually made a trip to the playoffs. HOWEVER... I must say that during those years, our biggest bugaboo was Georgia Southern. We played them 2 or 3 times in the first round, always in Statesboro, always losing!

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I wasn't forgeting the earlier tradition, just focusing on more contemporary stuff. Of course I know about Bobby Ross. I'm not sure I would claim Al Davis, though. He was a shaddy character even back in the 1950s when he was at The Citadel. And his reputation was that he wasn't much of an assistant coach back then.

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Nice nickname for the beloved Alma Mater, but try to be more original than a College of Charleston co-ed who just got jilted because she gave her Cadet boyfriend the clap. xnonox

Laserlips
March 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Nice nickname for the beloved Alma Mater, but try to be more original than a College of Charleston co-ed who just got jilted because she gave her Cadet boyfriend the clap. xnonox

How 'bout "the house that Denmark built"?

Just kiddin' :D

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

CCU97
March 17th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Right now I have two SoCon games I will be there watching this year for sure....CCU v Furman in Greenville(I know they want payback)...and GSU v Coastal in Myrtle(we want payback)....both should be good games and will show if our young QB and team can step up and continue to play to the level we have become used to seeing...

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I wasn't forgeting the earlier tradition, just focusing on more contemporary stuff. Of course I know about Bobby Ross. I'm not sure I would claim Al Davis, though. He was a shaddy character even back in the 1950s when he was at The Citadel. And his reputation was that he wasn't much of an assistant coach back then.

Yeah, I guess I could have claimed a better guy, but he is still a part of our history, bad or good.

One guy I left out was Greg Davis. Just a kicker, but a darn good one. He was a senior my knob year, and used to give us rides downtown in that old 64 Lincoln he had with the big brass bulldog hood ornament. He was with Atlanta for a few years and then went to Arizona. My best memory of him was a punt that he kicked against Clemson in 86... I think it was something like 80 yards, but maybe my aging memory has added a few yards to it. I do rememember us being backed up near our own end zone, and he put Clemson back around their own 30.

GaSouthern
March 18th, 2007, 03:50 PM
NO ONE has proven they have caught up to the no huddle spread system the Mountaineers are running. .

xlolx xlolx xlolx
Only the worst team GSU has fielded in it's modern history took them into overtime.

lizrdgizrd
March 18th, 2007, 07:40 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx
Only the worst team GSU has fielded in it's modern history took them into overtime.
Stoopid rivalry games. :( xlolx xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Since we have a few old threads getting bumped, I thought I'd bump this one.

So how many games will GSU win in '08? xlolx

seantaylor
March 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm going with 9. We lose to UGAy and one we shouldn't(Chatty or El Chit)

T-Dog
March 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Sat, Aug 30 Georgia at Athens, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Austin Peay Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 13 Northeastern Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 20 Elon * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 27 Wofford (Family Weekend) * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Oct 04 Chattanooga * at Chattanooga, TN TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Appalachian State * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Oct 25 Western Carolina * at Cullowhee, N.C. 1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 01 The Citadel * at Charleston, S.C. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Samford * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Furman * at Greenville, S.C. TBA

I'll say 7-4 with losses being UGA, Furman, App and Elon.

seantaylor
March 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Sat, Aug 30 Georgia at Athens, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 06 Austin Peay Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 13 Northeastern Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 20 Elon * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Sep 27 Wofford (Family Weekend) * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Oct 04 Chattanooga * at Chattanooga, TN TBA
Sat, Oct 18 Appalachian State * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Oct 25 Western Carolina * at Cullowhee, N.C. 1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 01 The Citadel * at Charleston, S.C. TBA
Sat, Nov 08 Samford * Statesboro, GA TBA
Sat, Nov 15 Furman * at Greenville, S.C. TBA

I'll say 7-4 with losses being UGA, Furman, App and Elon.

We won't lose a home game this year.

appstate38
March 29th, 2008, 07:43 AM
8-3 and yes you will lose one at home.... at least one.

neersnbeers
March 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx If you don't think theres no beef from last year........Lets just say there might be one long saturday in S-boro.xnodx

Eaglesrus
March 29th, 2008, 09:02 AM

My sentiments exactly.

xwhistlex

blueballs
March 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Ask me after the spring game... and then after we see who qualifies and transfers in over the summer...

... but seriously, a repeat of 2007's record would be okay, any improvement over that would be great, but this will probably be the last year for a long time GSU won't be considered a serious playoff force and possible title contender going into the season.

slostang
March 29th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I'll go with 8-3.

JohnStOnge
March 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Looking at their schedule and noting that they lost a guy who accounted for 61% of their offensive production, that's my guess as well. I think the 61% is even more notable in this case because most of that was rushing yardage from the quarterback position. I know sometimes programs are able to replace players that productive with someone just good (Appalachian State did it after Williams) but it's rare. If you bet against it happening when such situation comes up you're going to win the overwhelming majority of the time.

CID1990
March 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I'm going with 9. We lose to UGAy and one we shouldn't(Chatty or El Chit)

After we're about 3 or 4 games into the season, The El Cid game won't be one that you are supposed to win. (If most preseason polls and opinions held true, we would never win a game).

SideLine Shooter
March 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Easy to lose 3 at home next year unless the whole LSU team transfers to Statesboro.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WCU LawCat
March 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
6 wins
maybe 7

citdog
March 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
After we're about 3 or 4 games into the season, The El Cid game won't be one that you are supposed to win. (If most preseason polls and opinions held true, we would never win a game).

i'm seriously worried about us beating the grillmasters. that may be the only game we are even close to winning next season.

CID1990
March 29th, 2008, 07:46 PM
i'm seriously worried about us beating the grillmasters. that may be the only game we are even close to winning next season.

You're absolutely right. I don't know what I was thinking.

GSU wins in JHS by at least 21.

KiddBrewer
March 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
more than they lose.

PaladinFan
March 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I say 6 or 7 overunder. Conference is too strong to break in a whole new offensive unit without a hitch.

Baldy
March 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
GSU wins in JHS by at least 21.

Wouldn't be the first time, or the last. xthumbsupx xlolx :D

jhbeagle
March 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'll say iit like I did last year. The last game of the season will determine whether we go to the playoffs or not. I see us being 7-3 going into the Furman game.

Jerbearasu
March 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I'll say iit like I did last year. The last game of the season will determine whether we go to the playoffs or not. I see us being 7-3 going into the Furman game.

Only 11 games next year? I think the extra game that is allowed next year (as far as playoff hopes) is going to really help the teams that take it.

Kill'em
March 30th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I think six wins for us next year, but like Blueballs, I want to see the spring game. The QB will be a different style of QB from we are used to seeing but there are some relly good ones. They lack experience. If one of them and the offensive line grows up faster than expected, we will contend. Sorry App St fans, no one going to just give you the game in OUR HOUSE.

APPALACHIANstate
March 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM

lizrdgizrd
March 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM
I think six wins for us next year, but like Blueballs, I want to see the spring game. The QB will be a different style of QB from we are used to seeing but there are some relly good ones. They lack experience. If one of them and the offensive line grows up faster than expected, we will contend. Sorry App St fans, no one going to just give you the game in OUR HOUSE.
Nobody has to give us any game. We'll take your shot and beat you at home. Or has Jayson Foster been allowed another year of eligibility? xeyebrowx

Eaglesrus
March 31st, 2008, 10:44 AM
Nobody has to give us any game. We'll take your shot and beat you at home. Or has Jayson Foster been allowed another year of eligibility? xeyebrowx

Yes he has, so please tell Coach Moore and the gang that they still need to work on finding a way to stop him. xsmiley_wix

lizrdgizrd
March 31st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yes he has, so please tell Coach Moore and the gang that they still need to work on finding a way to stop him. xsmiley_wix
Ok, now I'll call it a 45% chance we'll win in mosquito city. xlolx

PaladinFan
March 31st, 2008, 11:51 AM

and 7-4 coming out xlolx

elcid96
March 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
5-6

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 31st, 2008, 01:07 PM
Let me put it this way...

Great chance of a win...
Northeastern
Austin-Peay
@ Chattanooga
Samford

Good chance of a win...
Wofford
@ Furman
@ Western Carolina

Decent chance of a win...
App. State
Elon
@ The Citadel

Very little chance of a win...
Georgia

I'll go out on a limb and say we win all four of the games in the first category and say we have a negligible chance with UGA. If we can win two of the three games in the second category (not too much of a stretch) and just one of the three in the third category (not too much of a stretch, either) then we are 7-4.

AppStFan76
March 31st, 2008, 01:24 PM

Great chance of a win...
Northeastern
Austin-Peay
@ Chattanooga
Samford

Good chance of a win...
Wofford
@ Furman
@ Western Carolina

Elon
@ The Citadel

App. State
Georgia

I'll go out on a limb and say we win all four of the games in the first category and say we have a negligible chance with UGA and App. If we can win two of the three games in the second category (not too much of a stretch) and just one of the three in the third category (not too much of a stretch, either) then we are 7-4.

fixed that for ya!xlolx xlolx

All in funxthumbsupx

trusty
March 31st, 2008, 01:57 PM

Great chance of a win...
Northeastern
Austin-Peay
@ Chattanooga
Samford

Good chance of a win...
Wofford
@ Furman
@ Western Carolina

App. State
Elon
@ The Citadel

Georgia

I'll go out on a limb and say we win all four of the games in the first category and say we have a negligible chance with UGA. If we can win two of the three games in the second category (not too much of a stretch) and just one of the three in the third category (not too much of a stretch, either) then we are 7-4.

I hope we go 8 - 3 and make the playoffs,
most likely we will end up at 7 - 4.

AlphaSigMD
March 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
My question is what happens if GSU racks up 8 losses again without all-world jayson foster?

Does the hatch attack become BVG Jr?

(and please none of the "chris hatcher only had 7 losses total at Valdosta St. so there's no way he'd get more than 7 in 1 year" argument ...he had 4 last year)

89Eagle
March 31st, 2008, 02:09 PM
My question is what happens if GSU racks up 8 losses again without all-world jayson foster?

(and please none of the "chris hatcher only had 7 losses total at Valdosta St. so there's no way he'd get more than 7 in 1 year" argument ...he had 4 last year)I would never put Hatcher in the context with that POS. Hatcher is too good of a coach to go 3-8. The more he complains the better things are for GSU.

Jerbearasu
March 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM

(and please none of the "chris hatcher only had 7 losses total at Valdosta St. so there's no way he'd get more than 7 in 1 year" argument ...he had 4 last year)

Last year I was thinking this same thing. I think BVG made his own bed with the fans in Statesboro though. He came in and tossed away the traditions they have and really just extended his middle finger to the community with that "it's my way or the highway" attitude. GSU responded by giving him a map and kicking his azz to the curb.

Hatcher has reinstated a lot of their traditions and you need to remember even though they went 3-8 in 06 they weren't that bad of a team. They lost a lot of their games by under a score and really you can attribute a lot of those losses to the coach. GSU has always been able to get the talent to come there so they are still pretty loaded with athletes.

I think GSU goes 7-4 next year but will break out in the following season.

The Cats
March 31st, 2008, 03:11 PM
6-5

yeah.... they want to skip asu

lizrdgizrd
March 31st, 2008, 03:13 PM
6-4

They're going to skip a game? xeyebrowx

PaladinFan
March 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM

Great chance of a win...
Northeastern
Austin-Peay
@ Chattanooga
Samford

Good chance of a win...
Wofford
@ Furman
@ Western Carolina

App. State
Elon
@ The Citadel

Georgia

Furman is at least a 50-50 chance for y'all. With the game in Greenville (where the Eagles don't play near as well) and Furman having won 3 of the last four I certainly wouldn't call it a "good" chance.

citdog
March 31st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I HOPE THEY BEAT UGA AND THEN....

LOSE EVERY OTHER!

Jerbearasu
March 31st, 2008, 04:00 PM
I HOPE THEY BEAT UGA AND THEN....

LOSE EVERY OTHER!

That would be ok with me!

Kill'em
March 31st, 2008, 05:27 PM

We shall see. Don't take us lightly. xrulesx

PaladinFan
March 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM

Didn't the national champs go to double overtime against a three win team last time they visited Paulson?

bobbythekidd
March 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Didn't the national champs go to double overtime against a three win team last time they visited Paulson?
Yep, and our former coach managed to throw that one away too.

Eaglesrus
March 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Last year I was thinking this same thing. I think BVG made his own bed with the fans in Statesboro though. He came in and tossed away the traditions they have and really just extended his middle finger to the community with that "it's my way or the highway" attitude. GSU responded by giving him a map and kicking his azz to the curb.

Hatcher has reinstated a lot of their traditions and you need to remember even though they went 3-8 in 06 they weren't that bad of a team. They lost a lot of their games by under a score and really you can attribute a lot of those losses to the coach. GSU has always been able to get the talent to come there so they are still pretty loaded with athletes.

I think GSU goes 7-4 next year but will break out in the following season.

I agree with everything you say. I wonder how many years we'll have to hear "but if they go 3 - 8 blah, blah, blah". Fact is, Hatcher has really endeared himself, not only restoring traditions, but even driving one of the beloved school buses himself. I think there is extremely little chance that we'll lose 8 games this year, and am also convinced that it would take a good bit more than that for Hatcher's job to be in jeopardy.

lizrdgizrd
April 1st, 2008, 07:52 AM
When was the last time any of the top 3 took the others lightly? xeyebrowx

You worry about your end and we'll worry about ours and still walk out with the W. xsmiley_wix