PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite stadium to travel to within your conference?

Sir William
February 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
In other words, of the teams you play within your own conference, to which do you most enjoy traveling, given overall football atmosphere?

For me, I would say...Appalachian State. Granted the Paladins have not had a lot of success there in recent years; still, Boone is a great place for college football, and KBS offers a great college football experience.

bulldog10jw
February 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
In other words, of the teams you play within your own conference, to which do you most enjoy traveling, given overall football atmosphere?

For me, I would say...Appalachian State. Granted the Paladins have not had a lot of success there in recent years; still, Boone is a great place for college football, and KBS offers a great college football experience.

Harvard, of course. There is nothing like a sold out stadium for THE GAME.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I enjoy my trips to the 'Whee!

GoAgs72
February 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Cal Poly. Nice stadium. Nice drive. Nice location. Much safer than going to OOC rival Sac State.

Go...gate
February 17th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Lehigh, hands down.

In the Ivy League, Pennsylvania.

slostang
February 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM
I did not made the trip in 2004 or 2006 (Cal Poly was independant before 2004) to Fargo, but the pictures of the Fargo Dome look awesome and I would put it at the top of the list in the GWFC. Next year we travel to the UC Davis' brand new stadium. I will make that trip and it looks like it will near the top of that list.

UNHcats
February 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
UDEL and UMASS always a sellout always LOUDDDDDDD

Saint3333
February 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Finley Stadium, preferably when the opponent isn't UTC.

My preference in order:
Good atmosphere
Finley (NC games)
Citadel
Furman
WCU
GSU (this low due to the drive and those damn gnats)

Depressing atmosphere
Wofford
Elon
Finley (against UTC)

eagle1
February 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Montana of course but I really like to travel Weber State as well because of the area. Go Eagles!!!

T-Dog
February 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Definately UTC. Good memories. WCU was a bit depressing this year due to the fact that App fans outnumbered WCU fans in their own stadium. It felt like a home/neutral game.

Next year will be my first trip to Furman for a game, same with Wofford. Should be fun considering both are expected to be good games.

Col Hogan
February 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
For overall football atmosphere, UD is the best in A-10/CAA IMHO.

Kiss My Apps
February 17th, 2007, 07:15 PM
GSU used to be hands down the SoCon's best road trip back in the day of general admission tailgating. I went to the game last year and the RAC atmosphere was less than stellar. In-game atmosphere in Paulson still trumps anything else our conference foes have to offer.

1. GSU
2. Furman
3. WCU
4. El Cid

Poly Pigskin
February 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Cal Poly. Nice stadium. Nice drive. Nice location. Much safer than going to OOC rival Sac State.

Davis is always a fun trip for us. The fans are always really good, and the Band-uh adds to a great atmosphere. I can't wait to check out the new place next season! :hurray:

If I ever had the budget I would like to visit NDSU. Unfortunately by the time I graduate they might not be in the conference anymore. : smh :

FlyYtown
February 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
It's truly hard not to be bias when you talk about Stambaugh Stadium and the Gateway Conference.

TheBisonator
February 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
If I had the money, I'd want to visit UC Davis' new stadium. But I'm not sure if we'll be playing them there in 2008 if we get accepted into the Gateway, unless we go there for an OOC game, which I wouldn't mind. In the Gateway, the most interesting stadium I would want to visit would be the UNI Dome. Just to see what the 2nd best dome in the FCS looks like.:D

catbob
February 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Montana by far. No one else has a decent atmosphere really in the BSC. ISU isn't too bad if you happen to be their homecoming opponent. I also had a blast at EWU, even though we lost.

Pard94
February 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Lafayette hands down. Oh, "travel to"? I guess Lehigh because that means The Game is being played...and we're probably winning.:smiley_wi

jmufootball2
February 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Delaware in the A-10 and Richmond when we outnumber their fans and create another home game for the DUKES.

Cobblestone
February 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
I have to honestly say UNH. OK the "stadium" is not great but I love to go to the state of New Hampshire and I like the overall look of the UNH campus. With the recent success of UNH the football atmosphere there has been good in recent years. Of course stopping at Newicks after the game is always a plus. :thumbsup:

... now if they would just build a new stadium.

Tribe4SF
February 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
My favorite trip is definitely The Tub. JMU is fun, but student behavior has made it less than pleasant lately. Finally got to UMass last year, and that was great. I love going to Richmond, as well. If Towson can draw some fans, they will rise fast.

bulldog10jw
February 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I have to honestly say UNH. OK the "stadium" is not great but I love to go to the state of New Hampshire and I like the overall look of the UNH campus. With the recent success of UNH the football atmosphere there has been good in recent years. Of course stopping at Newicks after the game is always a plus. :thumbsup:

... now if they would just build a new stadium.

Since you mentioned going places after a game, is the Nordic Lodge still in business. I don't remember exactly where it was in R.I., I think you got off at the Westerly exit on I-95. We would always stop there after Yale played Brown in Providence for the "all you can eat Lobster Buffet." Great food and atmosphere.

Cobblestone
February 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Since you mentioned going places after a game, is the Nordic Lodge still in business. I don't remember exactly where it was in R.I., I think you got off at the Westerly exit on I-95. We would always stop there after Yale played Brown in Providence for the "all you can eat Lobster Buffet." Great food and atmosphere.

Yes it is, although it might be a bit more expensive than what you remember. Still a great feed though. Here is the link.

http://www.nordic-lodge.com/

bjtheflamesfan
February 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Personally I enjoyed traveling to Conway for games against Coastal Carolina because Myrtle Beach is so close. Brooks Stadium is pretty nice too

HENJOHN
February 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
In the A-10/CAA, I enjoy the JMU stadium/atmosphere and the one time I went to UMASS it was nice. I am not as big a fan of the W&Mary stadium as some other Hens fans. I love the town and the area, but I don't care for the stands and they always stick us on the goal line or in and I have been there about 10 times. JMU is getting crazy and the students are getting pretty rowdy. I took a beating my last trip there.:)

bulldog10jw
February 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Yes it is, although it might be a bit more expensive than what you remember. Still a great feed though. Here is the link.

http://www.nordic-lodge.com/

Thanks for the link. $70 a person now? I think it was about half that price and maybe a little less less the last time I was there in '88 or '89. The trick was to eat a couple of lobsters first(or three), THEN go on to the rest of the buffet.

griz37
February 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Portland St. plays in a baseball stadium, but I really like that it is located downtown. When the Griz played there this year the weather was fantastic, there were tons of Griz fans & the game was close until the end.

Husky Alum
February 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I haven't been to JMU or The Tub, but I've got a soft spot for Zable down at W&M.

Then again, I've got a soft spot for the whole damn institution.

Bulldog87
February 18th, 2007, 12:55 PM
A&T(When the game is in Greensboro as opposed to Charlotte),Howard,FAMU,Hampton and Norfolk.

DuckDuckGriz
February 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Portland State is a great location and overall in a better city for Griz fans to take over (vs. oh say....Cheney or Pocatello)

TheValleyRaider
February 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Lehigh is a great atmosphere, although with the renovations, I'd have to imagine Lafayette will be a great trip as well.

AggiePride
February 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Cal Poly.

YaleFootballFan
February 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
In the Ivy, I always enjoy going to Princeton. Great town, beautiful campus. Now that Princeton has a new stadium, it makes going down there a lot more enjoyable.

Dartmouth is a lot of fun because it's always homecoming whenever Yale plays up there. The drive up is fantastic because its usually the time of the fall foliage. On the Friday night before the Yale game, Dartmouth has a rally and a huge bonfire in the center of campus. It seems the tiny town of Hanover comes alive when Yale comes to town because it's the single largest drawing game on Dartmouth's schedule.

Outside the Ivy, my favorites are Colgate and Army.

GAD
February 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Jackson State huge stadium, thousands of fans it could rival most FBS stadiums

slostang
February 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Just wait until they open their new on campus stadium. The pictures look great.

MR. CHICKEN
February 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
'NOVA......'CAUSE IT'S...JES' UP DUH ROAD...........BUT LATELY DON'T HAVE TA MAKE DUH DRIVE.......USUALLY DUH CN-8.....GAME O' DUH WEEK.......:hyped:..AWK!

The Gadfly
February 19th, 2007, 05:18 AM
VMI - don't like their stadium but love the town.

813Jag
February 19th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I like going to Alcorn the atmosphere there is great with all those tailgators and smelling the good food from all around the campus. The stadium is nice too.

FL connection
February 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Jax St.....then EKU.......last, Martin!!!!

bandl
February 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I really enjoyed Towson's stadium...but it's rather unfortunate that their student body doesn't seem to give a damn. If they could ever start packing in their own fans, and not the opposing schools, then it would be my favorite place to attend in the A-10 (except my own of course). :nod:

JBB
February 19th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Cauglin at SDSU is always fun. I was actually disappointed when I found out last season they had to come to Fargo for the second time in a row. Nice tailgating, great field. Havent seen the new scoreboards yet.

If we change conferences I would add UNI to my list. Ive never been to the Dome there and am looking forward to it.

DaGriz
February 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
MSU has the best crowd attendance-wise and it's such a big game every year the atmosphere is always great.
PSU-any time you can drink inside the stadium you get my vote. Plus the location down town is great.

VT Wildcat Fan53
February 19th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Without question, The Tub in Newark. :thumbsup: UNH game at UD this past season was simply the best football game day experience I've ever seen or felt in the A-10 or old Yankee Conference
The only possible exception was UMASS at UNH for all the marbles way, way back in Nov, 1977. 23,000+ fans jammed into an already antiquated 13K stadium was an incredible experience. Only down side was 19-6 ZooMass victory. : smh :

89Hen
February 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Tough question if you want to stick with stadium. I love going to W&M, but Zable isn't my favorite. Similarly, one of the most fun trips I had in the Yankee was to URI, but it was hardly because of Meade. Favorite stadium I guess is Bridgeforth at JMU. :confused:

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Finley Stadium, preferably when the opponent isn't UTC.

My preference in order:
Good atmosphere
Finley (NC games)
Citadel
Furman
WCU
GSU (this low due to the drive and those damn gnats)

Depressing atmosphere
Wofford
Elon
Finley (against UTC)
What's wrong with Elon's new stadium? Aside from the lack of spectators? xlolx

ChickenMan
February 19th, 2007, 01:13 PM
W&M is a nice road trip... but they always screw the UD fans with poor seat location... so UMass is my favorite... very nice stadium and good seat location.

least favorite and not even close... Villanova.. lousy stadium.. lousy seats.. lousy fans... :p

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Now that Lafayette has renovated Fisher that may take the edge over Bucknell. It's an easy ride and very pretty when we usually play the Bison out there. Lafayette is much closer to home,and now that one can go to the 'potty' without missing half the game it's a great improvement. Only problem with Colgate is the weather in early November:eek: , thought the visitor stands could be a little higher.

Go...gate
February 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Now that Lafayette has renovated Fisher that may take the edge over Bucknell. It's an easy ride and very pretty when we usually play the Bison out there. Lafayette is much closer to home,and now that one can go to the 'potty' without missing half the game it's a great improvement. Only problem with Colgate is the weather in early November:eek: , thought the visitor stands could be a little higher.

Hell, we get that kind of weather in August!!! :rotateh:

JALMOND
February 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Should be unanimous for all of us non-Griz fans. Wash-Griz is one of the premier venues in the NW in regards to football, even including the Pac-10.

aggie6thman
February 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
I have been to Cal Poly before the renovations and it was always fun. But I have always wanted to travel to Southern Utahxlolxxidiotx . Ha, no, how about the Fargo Dome!:nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I like going to Alcorn the atmosphere there is great with all those tailgators and smelling the good food from all around the campus. The stadium is nice too.
80% of the tailgaters are SU fans xlolx . I would go with JSU 1st and Alcorn a close 2nd.

henfan
February 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Defined narrowly as my "favorite stadium to travel to", I'd have to say Towson... and the rest are a distant second. Towson's got a modern facility, close to my home. Round trip takes less than 2 hours. Good tailgating at the stadium. Stadium seats have lots of legroom. Nice place all around.

Now, Towson's a neat town, but it wouldn't rank among my favorite cities/towns in the CAA by a long shot. That honor belongs to UNH (Durham/Portsmouth/Ogunquit). UMass (Amherst/Northampton), Rhody (Newport), Richmond, JMU, and Northeastern (Boston) are my other faves.

LUHawker
February 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Princeton.

Nice new stadium, easy in and out, good tailgates, lots of Lehigh fans in the stands and a great town to boot.

ButlerGSU
February 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
GSU used to be hands down the SoCon's best road trip back in the day of general admission tailgating. I went to the game last year and the RAC atmosphere was less than stellar. In-game atmosphere in Paulson still trumps anything else our conference foes have to offer.

1. GSU
2. Furman
3. WCU
4. El Cid

You just need to join Southern Boosters, then you can join the party in the stadium lot :smiley_wi

I've never been to KBS but the atmosphere anytime GSU and Furman meet is great.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
In the Patriot League it's Bucknell. Great setting, great campus and chairbacks make it a fun place to watch a game!! Even with the track you're very close to the field. Lehigh's fans usually out number the Bison fans which makes it a home away from home.

GeauxColonels
February 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hands down...McNeese State has the best game atmosphere (as much as it PAINS me to say so).

I also really enjoy going to Texas State - San Marcos (because we stay in San Antonio, a really nice town) and I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Hammond to play Southeastern Louisiana - this has all the makings of a heated rivalry.

UNHcats
February 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I think that once UNH gets a new stadium (whenever thats going to happen) then they will be a great atmosphere to play at.........football games get all the students warmed up for hockey season and the last couple of seasons its always been a packed house

LBPop
February 19th, 2007, 06:43 PM
OK, here's a rather indecisive response in the Patriot League:
Colgate is #1 for the surrounding scenery
Fisher's location right on campus is tremendous and the scoreboard is #1
Lehigh's bowl structure is classic and it is the only school that produced a big crowd for Georgetown...nobody ever comes out to see the Hoyas :bawling:
Bucknell also has a beautiful bowl and the hedges are great. Sadly, the small crowd moves them down a notch.But my favorite is Fordham. FORDHAM?? Yes, the opportunity to go to New York trumps the others. That's why Georgetown is such great place to visit, guys. Terrific restaurants, history everywhere, you sit right on the field, and the visitors have a terrific chance for a 'W'. :nod::(: smh ::bawling:

I've only got one more season as an active Hoya Dad, so please make the trip. I have only gotten to meet but few AGSrs. :D

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Princeton.

Nice new stadium, easy in and out, good tailgates, lots of Lehigh fans in the stands and a great town to boot.

I would agree with that, but the thread is about WITHIN CONFERENCE. What's your take of the other PLers?;)

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
OK, here's a rather indecisive response in the Patriot League:
Colgate is #1 for the surrounding scenery
Fisher's location right on campus is tremendous and the scoreboard is #1
Lehigh's bowl structure is classic and it is the only school that produced a big crowd for Georgetown...nobody ever comes out to see the Hoyas :bawling:
Bucknell also has a beautiful bowl and the hedges are great. Sadly, the small crowd moves them down a notch.But my favorite is Fordham. FORDHAM?? Yes, the opportunity to go to New York trumps the others. That's why Georgetown is such great place to visit, guys. Terrific restaurants, history everywhere, you sit right on the field, and the visitors have a terrific chance for a 'W'. :nod::(: smh ::bawling:

I've only got one more season as an active Hoya Dad, so please make the trip. I have only gotten to meet but few AGSrs. :D

Again, as I noted to my fellow Mountain Hawk, the thread is about STADIUMS. If you're talking 'destination cities' of opposing conference foes, then you are definitely at the top with Fordham. Once you guys get your new digs finished as designed, it should be a top rate site. The 'coziness' can be a great plus. Throw in the weekend destination---that is why, IMO, Georgetown is a sleeping giant in the PL. ONce they begin to recruit, which depends in part on having top notch facilities, they can be a force.

EKU05
February 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
TSU is an interesting trip because they play in an NFL stadium, but all that empty space is kind of awkard.

I haven't been to JSU, but I'm thinking about going this year.

Tech has a nice well-proportioned stadium.

ngineer
February 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
In the Patriot League it's Bucknell. Great setting, great campus and chairbacks make it a fun place to watch a game!! Even with the track you're very close to the field. Lehigh's fans usually out number the Bison fans which makes it a home away from home.

That too! I guess there was a subliminal reason as to why I enjoy the ride to Lewisburg...feels like a home game. It's also my daughter's alma mater, but she always sits with me on the visitor's side and cheers for the Brown and White.:D

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
That too! I guess there was a subliminal reason as to why I enjoy the ride to Lewisburg...feels like a home game. It's also my daughter's alma mater, but she always sits with me on the visitor's side and cheers for the Brown and White.:D

I love Bucknell. It was one of my final choices when i was picking a school. Ultimately i couldn't see myself spending 4 years in Lewisburg. Although one might ask how anyone could spend 4 years in North Philadelphia. :rotateh: Scholarship and the city were the selling points for me.

Libertine
February 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
CSU Field! Oh, wait. You said favorite.
I really like what VMI has done to their place. It's always been a great atmosphere but it really needed a facelift and VMI did that right.

rufus
February 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM
JMU is fun, but student behavior has made it less than pleasant lately.
That's a bold statement, considering W&M students' treatment of JMU fans. I seem to recall W&M students throwing beers at JMU fans after the 2004 playoff game. I'm not denying that JMU students can get rowdy too, but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw... beer. :)

813Jag
February 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
80% of the tailgaters are SU fans xlolx . I would go with JSU 1st and Alcorn a close 2nd.

It's better at Alcorn when we win. I remember when we used to take over the home side at Henderson Stadium. Alot of my family are Alcorn and JSU alums. JSU is always fun as well when you have to get there early to get a seat.

jstate83
February 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM

OH MAN...................Now that place is off the hook on gameday.
My buddy is an ALCORN man.
His brother went to JSU with me.

If there is not a game in Jackson and we have an open date or I can't make an out of town game, We at ALCORN.

You get into that place and the stadium looks like one big smoke pit. xlolx
And the tailgating area is set up right on the path that all the women has to take comming from the dorms to the stadium.:eyebrow:

I may hate their gut's as a JSU man, but it's all good as long as we ain't playing them. xlolx
The sight's...................xlolx :nod: xlolx

Jackson State has not played on Alcorns campus since the 1st year they opened that place in '91.

Pard4Life
February 20th, 2007, 09:52 AM
We had this thread last year! :rotateh:

Fordham... closest to me, really nice campus, and the best food ever close by...

Bucknell is nice, but the ride is too long..

Lehigh... I'm usually in war mode too much to enjoy it..

Holy Cross.. too far, never been..

Colgate.. car ride too long

G'town... too long, questionable stadium...

Pard4Life
February 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Well sure, you did steal their fight song and when they play it, it sounds like a game in Goo... whoops!.. :rotateh:

jstate83
February 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
BTW: I like going to Mumford.
Ya'll fans are cocky like us. xlolx

TOO bad that JSU band and fans have to share only 2,000 seats. xlolx
Ya'll wrong man......................xlolx

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I like going to the litter box just to banter with all the MSU fans:)

HIU 93
February 20th, 2007, 10:00 AM
A&T. Aggie Pride is for real, and boy they know how to do it in the 'Boro.

LBPop
February 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Again, as I noted to my fellow Mountain Hawk, the thread is about STADIUMS

I guess I didn't read my directions too well.xlolx

In that case, it's a close call between Fisher and Goodman. I lean toward Fisher because it's on campus and that's a major issue for me. But Goodman's bowl configuration, better attendance (in my experience) and far better concessions make it a tough call. Well, I get to visit each in alterrnate years, so this season it will be at your place. Can't wait. :nod:

813Jag
February 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
BTW: I like going to Mumford.
Ya'll fans are cocky like us. xlolx

TOO bad that JSU band and fans have to share only 2,000 seats. xlolx
Ya'll wrong man......................xlolx

you think the Boom has it bad. You should see the hundred try to fit in that small section. Memorial was a bad place for us I can still remember hearing JSU 28 Southern ZZZZIIIIIPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!:bawling:

Bulldog87
February 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
A&T. Aggie Pride is for real, and boy they know how to do it in the 'Boro.Agreed. Even in cold weather Aggies vs Bulldogs brings a nice crowd when both squads are good. Always the last game of the season and the ladies are dressed to the nines.:beerchug:

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Agreed. Even in cold weather Aggies vs Bulldogs brings a nice crowd when both squads are good. Always the last game of the season and the ladies are dressed to the nines.:beerchug:
Would you say NCA&T and SCSU are the flagship HBCUs for North & South Carolina? They're definitely the ones I've heard the most about (at least until I moved to Durham & my wife works with the outgoing Chancellor's wife).

Bulldog87
February 20th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Would you say NCA&T and SCSU are the flagship HBCUs for North & South Carolina? They're definitely the ones I've heard the most about (at least until I moved to Durham & my wife works with the outgoing Chancellor's wife). Yes.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 20th, 2007, 11:58 AM
#1 Stadium - Zable at W&M. I love the W&M campus, and Zable fits in nicely. Too bad they couldn't keep the natural grass, and even worse no logo... :rolleyes:

#1 Atmosphere - Delaware. Definitely a football school. I have met some great fans there and tailgating is definitely best there.

And now that JMU has finally ripped up the turf and presented a top quality field (sorry for the delay, our admin works... well... s-l-o-w-l-y...), could Towson please follow suit and do the same? Great potential in that school for an awesome gameday atmosphere, experience and stadium. Gotta love anything named after Johnny Unitas! :thumbsup:

jstate83
February 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM
you think the Boom has it bad. You should see the hundred try to fit in that small section. Memorial was a bad place for us I can still remember hearing JSU 28 Southern ZZZZIIIIIPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!:bawling:

You know that chant is comming as soon as the clock reaches all zero's.xlolx
The whole stadium turns to anyone with the "other colors" on and start on cue with pom poms pointing to the exit. xlolx

xlolx GO HOME!! GO HOME!! GO HOME!!xlolx

DrG
February 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
In the A10/CAA:

For game day atmosphere: UD, hands down. (Admittedly, I haven't been to JMU but I can't imagine it's any better.)

For surroundings: W&M.

For extracurricular activities: URI (I can hit the CT casinos on the way back.)

Henwatcher
February 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Enjoy filling Villanova's stadium with Hen fans.

back2back
February 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I have to go with The Citadel, good atmosphere, usually good weather and the wife enjoys the shopping.

PantherRob82
February 20th, 2007, 11:40 PM
So far the only conference road trip I have made was Western Illinois. The 3 other FCS stadiums I've been to are New Hampshire,Drake and UT-C for the championship.

I would rank the 3 based on stadium:
1.UT-C
2.Drake
3.WIU
4.UNH

based on atmosphere:
1. UNH
2. either one, neither of the other two was very good, and UT-C didn't involve UT-C.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM
I like the championship game every December in Chattanooga at Finley Stadium. Montana's Washington-Grizzly Stadium is my favorite FCS venue, even though the working conditions in the undersized press box were not very good the last time I was there in 2000. McNeese State has the best food. Furman's Paladin Stadium is a pretty place to watch a game when the leaves are changing. Davidson's Richardson Field is another favorite venue in terms of the beauty of the surroundings. And of course, I get to work regularly at Kidd Brewer Stadium, which is another pretty setting for football.

Too bad that Santa Barbara City College doesn't count as a FCS venue. La Playa Stadium is across the street from the Pacific Ocean and the open-air press box has a great view of the ocean and the nearby Channel Islands. It's simply spectacular, watching the sunset from La Playa Stadium, while you are trying to keep your mind on football. I used to also cover professional soccer there when Real Santa Barbara played in the old Western League of the American Professional Soccer League.

The Cats
February 21st, 2007, 11:07 AM
WCU was a bit depressing this year due to the fact that App fans outnumbered WCU fans in their own stadium. It felt like a home/neutral game.

Give me a break, why do you come on this board saying that kind of crap?

It was a sellout game, and yes ASU did bring in a good crowd BUT outnumbering Western fans in Cullowhee, you must have been on something good if you left the game with that impression.

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

andy7171
February 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Wow! SIX mentions for Towson! I almost want to cry! I guess respect from rival teams is better than none. I really hope in the next couple years the students decide to attend the games and show alittle school spirit. We pack it for Morgan State and Delaware after than its back to the same 4000 parents and alumni and friends.

Yes, field turf in in the works for next season.

My favorite away game sites would be W&M or JMU, but I would be remiss if I didn't say Delaware is far and away the best atmosphere and crowd.

nmatsen
February 21st, 2007, 12:56 PM
My favorite FCS stadium is in Terre Haute, Indiana State Rules!

gophoenix
February 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM
What's wrong with Elon's new stadium? Aside from the lack of spectators?

Blah blah blah

You guys have only seen our stadium during the last game of the season in two piss poor pathetic seasons where both the fans and team have given up by then.

The GSU stadium was a pretty piss poor atmosphere late last season too.

ButlerGSU
February 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM

I know an Elon fan is not calling out Paulson's atmosphere. I could have studied for exams on the home side last time I was at Elon.

HiHiYikas
February 22nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
Chattanooga, but not to play UTC, if you catch my drift.

lizrdgizrd
February 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Blah blah blah

You guys have only seen our stadium during the last game of the season in two piss poor pathetic seasons where both the fans and team have given up by then.

Look, you've got a nice stadium and with more wins you'll fill it up consistently. Plus the hill is a nice place to hang out! The pre-game atmosphere was good and the first game I went to in the new stadium was pretty full.

I'm just glad you moved out of my HS stadium. :smiley_wi

Pard4Life
February 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Ah, the repeat 2005 offseason threads...

The best OOC.. Princeton... hands down... perhaps best even in I-AA.

Best in conference... Fordham..

soweagle
February 22nd, 2007, 10:06 AM
You know that chant is comming as soon as the clock reaches all zero's.xlolx
The whole stadium turns to anyone with the "other colors" on and start on cue with pom poms pointing to the exit. xlolx

xlolx GO HOME!! GO HOME!! GO HOME!!xlolx

That sounds pretty funny to witness, unless you a re on the wrong end of the taunting. Do the fans still point to the exit if JSU loses?

RabidRabbit
February 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
FargoDome will be tough to match, but definitely interested in watching games at the new stadiums of Cal Poly and UC-Davis :thumbsup:

The Last Engineer
February 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
Best in the Patriot League... gotta say Bucknell. It's a really nice campus and the stands have you right on top of the sidelines. Lafayette certainly improved tremendously in 2006, but I'll wait until the whole complex is finished before crowning it.

OOC - The Tub is hard to beat, but I am a fan of the old Ivy League white elephants... Yale Bowl, Harvard Stadium, that deathtrap Franklin Field. Those stadia are great reminders of how and where college football got on the map.

R.A.
February 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
Oliver C Dawson Stadium- South Carolina State University's stadium.

Big time Stadium
Big time atmosphere
Competitive games
Nice Ladies too

ngineer
February 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM
I guess I didn't read my directions too well.xlolx

In that case, it's a close call between Fisher and Goodman. I lean toward Fisher because it's on campus and that's a major issue for me. But Goodman's bowl configuration, better attendance (in my experience) and far better concessions make it a tough call. Well, I get to visit each in alterrnate years, so this season it will be at your place. Can't wait. :nod:

Hope you can make it up. We have a great tailgate. So good, I rarely go to the concessions except to get some water.;)

TonkaBison
February 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately I haven't been to any in conference stadiums besides SDSU (great tailgating need more visitors seats) and our former conference foe Northern Colorado (needs a lot of work but the Coors Light is cold).

Now after that I rank them as follows:

1) Montana - great stadium just get your butt out of town if you win.
2) Georgia Southern - reminds me of Colorado and you don't have to get your butt out of town if you win.
3) Montana State - nice stadium get your butt out of town if you win or lose! Just kidding the alums are great the students just like to trash tailgating wagons and be pukes in the stands. :smiley_wi

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
1. App State (I have a cabin in Valle Crucis so that makes it easy)

2. VMI (beautiful part of VA, good atmosphere for the Military Classic of the South)

3. West Point (Another good spot for a military game... went there 3 times in the 1990's, and we're 2-1, heh heh)

Honorable Mention!!!

Williams Brice Stadium. Only been there once. 1991. Nuff said.

PantherRob82
March 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Right now I would say YSU, but I've only been to YSU and WIU. I'm guessing NDSU might end up being my favorite.

GannonFan
March 17th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I actually like Towson's stadium - nice setup, chairbacks, and the tailgating is basically right next to the stadium - little to no walking. I could do without the bad looking astroturf and the track, but it has a lot of potential.

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Five of the seven PL stadia are fine. Fordham loses points because it's a one-sided setup.

The unfinished field in Washington doesn't even make the discussion at this point.

Zoo
March 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
As I said many times before, I live in Milwaukee, WI, but if I get a chance to go to a game It'll be at least Iliinois State and Youngstown State.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
March 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
As I said many times before, I live in Milwaukee, WI, but if I get a chance to go to a game It'll be at least Iliinois State and Youngstown State.

You need to make the relatively short trip down to Skokie, IL and meet our fearless leader! Then you could participate in an occasional Road Ralph junket!! xnodx :D

Bearkatpresident
March 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I enjoyed my trip to Howard Bryce last semester. (Stephen F. Austin)

The Bearkat Krazies sat right behind thier "Purple Possy" (Thier fan org) At first, SFA was winning and they were loud...then we started coming back...and they were queiter...then we started winning...and they were silent..

And that was that. Nothing like beating a rival school on thier own turf.

The stadium was nice though

Go...gate
March 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM

2. VMI (beautiful part of VA, good atmosphere for the Military Classic of the South)

3. West Point (Another good spot for a military game... went there 3 times in the 1990's, and we're 2-1, heh heh)
Honorable Mention!!!

Williams Brice Stadium. Only been there once. 1991. Nuff said.

Agree on West Point - Game-day atmosphere is wonderful!

bobcatalum05
March 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM
#1 McNeese- Great Tailgating, great game atmosphere
#2 SHSU - Because our 1,000 fans were louder than their 10,000.

We got owned by Northwestern La in our own stadium once and its not a nice feeling. Hope that never happens again.

GaSouthern
March 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Furman's the only away game i've been to, but i'll try to increase that # this year.

gokats85
March 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
#1 McNeese - The atmosphere is fantastic, hands down. Nobody does it better in the FCS (I'll get to Montana soon enough!)

#2 Texas State - Always has been a nice stadium. The press box couldn't be beat during the "Southwest" years: great food and they gave us free beer after we completed our postgame wrap-ups.xthumbsupx Being next to the railroad tracks is nice (I am also a railfan).

#3 SFA - Nice setting. Great when the "Battle of The Piney Woods" takes place there.

#4 Nortwestern State - Excellent size stadium, but I have not been there in 20 years, so I can't give a fair review on it now.

The Gadfly
March 19th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Always enjoy the atmosphere in Boone but the stadium needs a facelift (including visitor restrooms) soon.

PC's stadium, though small, is brand new and very nice. Atmosphere is dull until their team marches across campus lead by a bagpiper to the stadium.

VMI has a crappy stadium, but again the atmosphere makes up for it. Lexington is beautiful that time of year.

Furman, though Coastal has not played there yet, my father (La Cid '72) used to take me there during Furman v Citadel games. The HUGE knight guarding the entrance, beautiful campus, and enough purple to make you puke.

appfan2008
March 19th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Absolutely beautifully historic area... I LOVE IT

mcveyrl
March 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I've been to Villanova, Richmond, and W&M in conference and App St. out of conference. I'd have to say that App is head and shoulders above the places I've been (the students are awful, but whose aren't??).

But, W&M tops the in-conference list for me. Nice campus and stadium atmosphere. I would like to get up to some of the schools in the north, but haven't had a chance.

Tilldog40
March 20th, 2007, 10:46 AM
In conference I would say I like going to Umass. The best is watching a game at harvard.

JDC325
March 21st, 2007, 07:13 AM
You just need to join Southern Boosters, then you can join the party in the stadium lot :smiley_wi

I've never been to KBS but the atmosphere anytime GSU and Furman meet is great.

After the KBS gets more than porta-johns on the visotor's side it would be them until then Furman.