PDA

View Full Version : NCAA still trying to find ways to speed up game

BDKJMU
February 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2765817

Thank goodness. Those rules sucked. I remember reading last year that the TV networks had complained about the games getting longer and wanted them to be able to fit into a 3 hr time slot. The networks were the primary reason that the games avgeraging 3 hrs & 21 minutes due to the ever increasing amount of commercial break time over the last couple of decades. The networks should be told its either cut down the commercial breaks (which in a 3 hr, 21 min game total close to an hr, or have a 3.5 hr time slot for games, simple as that.

There is things that can be done to cut down on the 4-5 commercial breaks every quarter when you have players standing around for 2-3 minutes. They could have shorter breaks after timeouts, scores, changes of possesion, between quarters, etc, then
-There's usually 30-45 seconds between plays. They could do a 20-30 second commercial between alot of plays without having to hold the game up
-instead of having 6-8 minutes of commercials during the 20 half time, they could have 12-15.

If they did the above plus they insttute the proposals from the article,
-Using a 15-second play clock immediately after timeouts instead of a 25-second clock;
-Reducing timeouts from 65 seconds to 30 seconds;
-Kicking off from the 30-yard line instead of the 35 to cut down on touchbacks;
-Limiting the time officials have to review a replay to two minutes,

they could probably get the televised games down to close to 3 hrs.xcoffeex

BDKJMU
February 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I remember Matthews bitching about it last fall. JMU had a 2 hr, 15 min game in their opener, the shortest ever, and their game with ASU was only 2 hrs, 36 min.

"The rule has had an even greater impact, it seems, on lower-division games, where television breaks are rarely a factor."

http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=6674&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

Go...gate
February 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
How about just using the high-school 48 minute game?

MplsBison
February 16th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I like the kickoff at the 30.

We should try and get as many returns as possible.

Hell, even the 25.

It'll make for more scoring with better field position.

Cobblestone
February 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM
My apologies to any musicians on the board but how about shorter halftimes? College football halftimes are way too long. This goes back to the days when both schools would have their bands at the game and the NCAA wanted to give both bands time to perform. Sorry but those days are pretty much gone. In fact today one band performs and it doesn't even take up the entire halftime.

GOKATS
February 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
My apologies to any musicians on the board but how about shorter halftimes? College football halftimes are way too long. This goes back to the days when both schools would have their bands at the game and the NCAA wanted to give both bands time to perform. Sorry but those days are pretty much gone. In fact today one band performs and it doesn't even take up the entire halftime.

Nothing to do with bands, but leave halftime alone.:nono:

No. 1 it gives the teams a rest and lets them make O and D adjustments, but more importantly it gives me and my buds time to hit the tailgate area, pop a cold one and discuss the first half.:D :beerchug: