Oct. 13 Purdue* (Homecoming)
Oct. 20 at Illinois*
Oct. 27 Minnesota*
Nov. 3 at Michigan State*
Nov. 10 at Wisconsin*
Nov. 17 Ohio State*

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
hooah!!! Go APPS fight APPS...(what comes next?)

AppGuy04
February 16th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Sweet!!!

bandl
February 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Incredible!!! I guess everyone, myself included, who said that UM would never schedule a FCS opponent was wrong!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Go get 'em...but don't get yourself killed up there. :eek:

Ronbo
February 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
How's it feel to be the Fort Lewis on the Michigan schedule? Just kidding!xlolx

T-Dog
February 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Oh happy day!

FlyYtown
February 16th, 2007, 02:51 PM
September 1 is going to be great for the premier teams of the FBS and FCS!

Appalachian State @ Michigan
Youngstown State @ Ohio State

proasu89
February 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
hooah!!! Go APPS fight APPS...(what comes next?)
Officially it's Win APPS...but we've taken it to KICK APPS or A$$

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Aw right, guys- get the body paint and ASU/SoCon flags ready for a road trip.

Go to the Big House and get you some Wolverine hide (I'm being nice for the board)!http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/taz.gif

http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/groupwave.gif

T-Dog
February 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

ChickenMan
February 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Incredible!!! I guess everyone, myself included, who said that UM would never schedule a FCS opponent was wrong!!!

me too... :spank:

GoGuins
No comment:smiley_wi

I'll be there and will gladly :beerchug: with the Appy fans

When we get close to Sept, I'll post about parking, lodging, eateries, etc.

Hey Cap'n, you said you want to go to a Michigan game? I'd say this is a good one for ya!

TexasTerror

Everyone thought the same of the University of Texas and they scheduled SHSU last year...

Div I athletics is changing at every turn!

slostang
February 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
How's it feel to be the Fort Lewis on the Michigan schedule? Just kidding!xlolx
App State has a way better chance of beating Michigan than Fort Lewis does of beating Montana. App State is the top team in FSC and Fort Lewis is not a top team in DII. The thing both teams have in common is that they will be considerably richer after the game.

Great news for both App State and the FCS. Go make us proud.

FlyYtown
February 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I have a funny feeling two teams that could be back in the Final 4 of the playoffs are going to start off 0-1 in 2007! I think you could guess those two.

Ronbo
February 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
App State has a way better chance of beating Michigan than Fort Lewis does of beating Montana. App State is the top team in FSC and Fort Lewis is not a top team in DII. The thing both teams have in common is that they will be considerably richer after the game.

Great news for both App State and the FCS. Go make us proud.

There can be an argument that the gap between the top 20 BCS teams and FCS is a lot wider than the gap between FCS and Div. II.

Good luck to App. State. Too bad it wasn't last year when they had a really strong team. How's the team stack up this year with the loss of 22 seniors?

DaveK
February 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Well then... I guess we're going to find out just how much of a difference there is between these two different levels of football. I suspect these games will not be as close as the UND/UNI game was last year, but time will tell. If either App. State or Youngstown should prove me wrong, I will have earned a big plate of crow to eat. Should they both get massacred, then I think a lot of people will owe me an apology for all the hostility in regards to my view of D1 and D1-AA.

GoGuins
February 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Michigan boards

http://www.umgoblue.com/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

http://michigan.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=883&fid=39

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=162&F=2019#S=162&F=2019

bandl
February 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Michigan boards

http://www.umgoblue.com/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

http://michigan.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=883&fid=39

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=162&F=2019#S=162&F=2019

I don't feel like reading through it all...can you just sum it up? Are they pissed? Calling ASU peons? Wondering where the ***** Boone, NC is?? I have a feeling I'm right on all three...:o

T-Dog
February 16th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I don't feel like reading through it all...can you just sum it up? Are they pissed? Calling ASU peons? Wondering where the ***** Boone, NC is?? I have a feeling I'm right on all three...:o

Have they discovered the video yet?

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Have they discovered the video yet?

yes. dont worry though it only strikes more fear into the hearts of opponents!

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have a funny feeling two teams that could be back in the Final 4 of the playoffs are going to start off 0-1 in 2007! I think you could guess those two.

Michigan and Ohio state? they were in the final four discussion for playing in the chipper:smiley_wi

The Moody1
February 16th, 2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=23758

February 16, 2007

Michigan Announces 2007 Football Schedule

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan director of intercollegiate athletics Bill Martin announced today (Friday, Feb. 16) the complete 2007 football schedule. The Wolverines will play eight home games at Michigan Stadium, including four straight September home contests to begin the season, and four Big Ten Conference road games.

U-M opens its 128th season of action against two-time defending national champion Appalachian State on Sept. 1. Michigan's originally scheduled opener against Eastern Michigan has been moved to the open date on Oct. 6. The Wolverines follow the opener with non-conference tilts against Oregon (Sept. 8) and longtime rival Notre Dame (Sept. 15) at the Big House.

The Wolverines open the conference season against Penn State on Sept. 22 at Michigan Stadium. The Big Ten schedule is highlighted by the 100th meeting against Michigan State, at Spartan Stadium (Nov. 3), and the 104th meeting with Ohio State, at Michigan Stadium (Nov. 17). Purdue and Illinois return to the schedule, while Indiana and Iowa go off the schedule for two years.

Following is Michigan's 2007 football schedule:

Sept. 1 Appalachian State
Sept. 8 Oregon
Sept. 15 Notre Dame
Sept. 22 Penn State*
Sept. 29 at Northwestern*
Oct. 6 Eastern Michigan
Oct. 20 at Illinois*
Oct. 27 Minnesota*
Nov. 10 at Wisconsin*
Nov. 17 Ohio State*

Home games (bold) at Michigan Stadium
* Big Ten Conference games

Notes on Michigan's season-opening opponent, Appalachian State

• Appalachian State is an NCAA Division I institution and member of the Southern Conference. ASU fields 20 NCAA Division I sports and has won back-to-back NCAA Division I football national championships.

• The Division I football classifications formerly known as I-A and I-AA are now Division I Bowl Subdivision (FBS - formerly I-A) and Division I Championship Subdivision (FCS - formerly I-AA). The 16-team FCS playoffs are officially known as the NCAA Division I Football Championship.

• FCS teams collected seven wins over FBS teams in 2006. Four of the seven wins came over members of BCS conferences, including two Big Ten teams (Southern Illinois def. Indiana and New Hampshire def. Northwestern).

• Since Division I sub-classifications were officially introduced in 1982, Appalachian State has recorded six wins over FBS opponents, its most recent being a 20-16 win at Wake Forest in 2000.

• Appalachian State is the only school in North Carolina history to win an NCAA football championship.

• In a region that includes six BCS-conference programs, Appalachian State was named the "Carolinas' Best" football program in an objective study by the Charlotte Observer in 2005 (before ASU won its first NCAA Division I national title).

• In addition to football, Appalachian State has gained national notoriety for its men's basketball program in 2006-07. The 20-6 Mountaineers collected wins over Virginia, Central Florida and Vanderbilt en route to the 2006 San Juan Shootout championship and were ranked as high as No. 6 in the Division I RPI earlier this season. They currently rank No. 11 in the RPI.

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
AppState fans I'm envious. From someone that has been to the Big House a couple times before I can't reccomend enough making the trip. UM fans are normally pretty courteous to opposing fans (except OSU). The Michigan band will probably salute you by playing your fight song, they normally do that before every game. Most of the public tailgating is on UM's golf course. Your best bet after the game is to tailgate longer or just walk into town, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere becuase you won't move for the 1st 2 hours.

Enjoy the experience & savor the day.

T-Dog
February 16th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Just to make it uber-official

http://goasu.com/article/10427/

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I know its early but what are the predictions?

AppGuy04
February 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM

I'm gonna say UM wins 35-21

FargoBison
February 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Michigan-37
App St-14

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Michigan - 100
ASU - 101
:thumbsup:

GoGuins
February 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
AppState fans I'm envious. From someone that has been to the Big House a couple times before I can't reccomend enough making the trip. UM fans are normally pretty courteous to opposing fans (except OSU). The Michigan band will probably salute you by playing your fight song, they normally do that before every game. Most of the public tailgating is on UM's golf course. Your best bet after the game is to tailgate longer or just walk into town, don't be in a hurry to go anywhere becuase you won't move for the 1st 2 hours.

Enjoy the experience & savor the day.

-Very courteous fans, even to Ohio State fans (most of the time)
-The 235 member Michigan marching band will play the Appalachian State fight song after playing "Entry Cadence", "MFanfare", & "The Victors" as they march down to the south end where most of the ASU fans will be
-Golf course tailgating cost $35 (last season) for each car/truck. Alcohol, cans & bottles are permitted. Depending where you are on the course, it's about .25-.5 mile walk to the stadium
-blue is right, there is only a couple ways out of the golf course and it has taken me sometimes 1.5 hours just to get back on I-94 which is only a couple miles from the stadium. You can tailgate 2-3 hours after the end of the game.
-I've also parked at the tennis center (right before golf course) for $15 and they have a shuttle that runs to the golf club house (about .25 mi. to stadium)
-Michigan students make up 30-35 thousand of the 110k+ in attendance, they sit in the NW corner of the stadium and all wear maize colored t-shirts
-Michigan has 2 bands, the marching band (235+ members) & the FanFare band (200+) who sit in the stands and play during the game

I'll post video & pics sometime

griz37
February 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Michigan 56
App. St. 10

Go Blue!!!

GoGuins
February 16th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Michigan 56
App. St. 10

Go Blue!!!

Michigan - googleplex
ASU -10

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Michigan - googleplex
ASU -10

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:homer:

B&G
February 16th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Michigan 27
ASU 10

Close until midway thru the 3rd qtr

bobbythekidd
February 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Wow, big news for our defending champs. Good for you, and good luck.
Hope you get out of there without any big injuries.

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 03:57 PM
ASU 45
Michigan- 42
(seriously;) :smiley_wi )

NE MT GRIZZ
February 16th, 2007, 04:00 PM
ASU-17
UM- 51

What is the payout?

FlyYtown
February 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Michigan is loaded, I will hand it to you GoGuins lol!
Michigan-42
APPY- 10

Ohio State- 35
YSU- 13

NDSUFREAK
February 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
They don't show much respect on their forum. They called YSU a D3 school.

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Good job on the game Apps! Unfortunately I don't see this one being close. UM is probably going to be a beast next year; probably two TD's better than most of the Big10. Based on some of their scores, 42-10 would be my guess.

wannabegaucho
February 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Now only USC, UCLA, and Washington are the only schools who have not played current FCS schools. So much for the Pac-10 and its weak schedule.

ucdtim17
February 16th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Add Notre Dame and Michigan State to that list

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Now only USC, UCLA, and Washington are the only schools who have not played current FCS schools. So much for the Pac-10 and its weak schedule.
You sure about that? I don't see any games for Michigan State or Notre Dame. :twocents:

GGASU
February 16th, 2007, 04:24 PM
ASU-17
UM- 51

What is the payout?

It was reported that App would net $400,000 so it is either 400k plus travel expenses, or the travel expenses were estimated and deducted from the gross payout.

wannabegaucho
February 16th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Notre Dame, I forgot about them, Michigan State maybe as well.

NDSUFREAK
February 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM
FCS Campaign 2007 against the Big Ten!
App State vs Michigan
YSU vs Ohio State
NDSU vs Minnesota

(anymore?)

Appstate29
February 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
There can be an argument that the gap between the top 20 BCS teams and FCS is a lot wider than the gap between FCS and Div. II.

Good luck to App. State. Too bad it wasn't last year when they had a really strong team. How's the team stack up this year with the loss of 22 seniors?

I think you have us confused with someone else Ronbo, we didn't lose 22 seniors. We should be getting more than 400k, i mean damn the stadium holds 107. We should be getting 800k. I'm sticking with my original prediction 24-21, last second field goal by Julian Rauch, as Appalachian State pulls off the greatest upset in College football history, to Michigans credit, they go on to win every single game afterwords, winning the BCS championship, proving that Appalachian is the best football team to walk the face of the planet :thumbsup: :p

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
FCS Campaign 2007 against the Big Ten!
App State vs Michigan
YSU vs Ohio State
NDSU vs Minnesota

(anymore?)
WIU at Illinois
Indiana State at Indiana
UNI at Iowa State
Northeastern at Northwestern
EIU at Purdue

Pauly LB
February 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Does Michigan have that difficult of a time filling their schedule. Michigan should win but we all know that anything can happen when the game is played on the field.

Michigan has everything to lose...

griz37
February 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think you have us confused with someone else Ronbo, we didn't lose 22 seniors. We should be getting more than 400k, i mean damn the stadium holds 107. We should be getting 800k. I'm sticking with my original prediction 24-21, last second field goal by Julian Rauch, as Appalachian State pulls off the greatest upset in College football history, to Michigans credit, they go on to win every single game afterwords, winning the BCS championship, proving that Appalachian is the best football team to walk the face of the planet :thumbsup: :p

And the next week I marry Scarlett Johansson. :rolleyes:

AggiePride
February 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Go APP!!!

BISON Thunder
February 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
WIU at Illinois
Indiana State at Indiana
UNI at Iowa State
EIU at Purdue
Anyone have a recap of last year's Michigan - Minnesota game? Did Michigan not play well that game?

BearsCountry
February 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Technically that is not true, they all used to be in the same conference as Montana.

Umass74
February 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Appalachian by three...

Pauly LB
February 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
griz37...

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage...

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Anyone have a recap of last year's Michigan - Minnesota game? Did Michigan not play well that game?
Dangerous to compare A to C going through B. Michigan beat Ball State by 12 and Wisconsin by 14. Doesn't mean much.

griz37
February 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM

http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=22197

Mountaineer
February 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Pretty cool that we're the first FCS team that Michigan has scheduled.

:nod: :hurray: :nod:

Hopefully their fans will come away with the same respect the LSU fans did in 2005.

That said:

Michigan 42
App 3

I don't think it'll be close at all. :bawling:

ASU Kep
February 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
App is reserving tickets for students, so I WILL BE THERE!

ASU Kep
February 16th, 2007, 04:59 PM
btw, ASU is undefeated all-time when I've been in attendance dressed as a gorilla. just something to think about...

Appstate29
February 16th, 2007, 05:04 PM
will you be going as a gorilla? if so, I'm taking Vegas for a ride.

Ronbo
February 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Sorry 20 seniors and 10 of them seem to be 2006 starters. Bet the other ten were important special teams players and backups.

http://www.goasu.com/football/roster/

GGASU
February 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Sorry 20 seniors and 10 of them seem to be 2006 starters.

According to many inside people our only question mark will be the defensive line. We have a lot of red-shirted talent that will be able to replace our seniors.

JBB
February 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Well then... I guess we're going to find out just how much of a difference there is between these two different levels of football. I suspect these games will not be as close as the UND/UNI game was last year, but time will tell. If either App. State or Youngstown should prove me wrong, I will have earned a big plate of crow to eat. Should they both get massacred, then I think a lot of people will owe me an apology for all the hostility in regards to my view of D1 and D1-AA.

LOL right. What is D1-AA? When you learn what the FCS is you wont look so xidiotx .

D2 was able to compete fairly well last season. The biggest upset to me was Chadron over Montana State. The FCS did well against the FBS too.

Im looking forward to both of these games because they are interesting matchups. Both teams are underdogs of course, but both have been there before and the upset possibility is real.

74AppState
February 16th, 2007, 06:46 PM
From www.goasu.com ASU Sports Information:

Walter Payton Award candidate Kevin Richardson and the Apps will open defense of their back-to-back NCAA Division I national championships at ''The Big House'' in Ann Arbor, Mich. (photos courtesy of Keith Cline, MGoBlue.com)

Mountaineers to Open 2007 Football Season at Michigan
by Appalachian Sports Information

February 16, 2007 - BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University will open its run at a third-straight NCAA Division I football national championship in one of the world’s most recognizable sporting venues, as it will face college football’s all-time winningest program, Michigan, on Sept. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich.

A season ago, Appalachian went 14-1 en route to its second-straight national title at the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS — formerly Division I-AA) level and brings the nation’s longest Division I winning streak at 14 games into 2007. Michigan opened its 2006 season with 11-consecutive victories before closing the campaign with losses to top-ranked Ohio State in the regular-season finale and Pac 10-champion Southern California in the Rose Bowl. The two schools have combined for 13 national championships, with U-M claiming Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS — formerly Division I-A) titles in 1901, ‘02, ‘03, ‘04, ‘18, ‘23, ‘32, ‘33, ‘47, ‘48 and ‘97.

The Mountaineers have six wins versus FBS teams since the advent of Division I subdivisions in 1982, the most recent being a 20-16 win at Wake Forest in 2000. In addition to the six victories, the Apps have a long list of upset bids that have fallen just short versus FBS competition. Highlights include a 24-0 loss at No. 6 LSU in 2005 (ASU trailed just 14-0 going into the fourth quarter and dropped a touchdown pass and missed a field goal on separate drives in the third period) and a 22-15 setback at Auburn in 1999 (AU scored the winning touchdown with 38 seconds remaining in the game). The contest is Michigan’s first against a Division I FCS opponent.

The game at “The Big House” (capacity 107,501) will undoubtedly be the most-attended matchup in ASU history, easily surpassing the 91,414 that witnessed the Mountaineers’ contest at LSU in ‘05. The Wolverines have played 200-straight home games in front of crowds of at least 100,000.

A portion of Appalachian’s allotment of tickets for the game will be reserved for ASU students, while the rest will only be made available to Yosef Club members. Exact purchasing priority for Yosef Club members will be announced in the future. For more information on how to join the Yosef Club, click here.

The remainder of Appalachian’s 2007 football schedule will be announced in the near future.

74AppState
February 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I was born yesterday so I dont have false expectations, but....anyone remember Big Ten Nortwestern vs UNH last year?

Mountaineer
February 16th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I was born yesterday so I dont have false expectations, but....anyone remember Big Ten Nortwestern vs UNH last year?

True that, but comparing Northwestern and Michigan is like comparing Appalachian and the University of North Dakota. The playing field ain't level. xlolx :p

... the upset possibility is real.While I do not think the upset possibility is all that real I love the precedent being set. Now even the Wolverines are hosting an FCS squad, in the "big house!"

hapapp
Sorry 20 seniors and 10 of them seem to be 2006 starters. Bet the other ten were important special teams players and backups.

Really only 9 starters. Most important losses are along the defensive front four, where three were seniors. On offense the leading receiver was a senior as was the first team tight end. Only 4 other seniors figured that prominently as backups. All of the kicking and return specialists will be back. On offense, most of the key personnel return.

ASU Kep
February 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
will you be going as a gorilla? if so, I'm taking Vegas for a ride.

yup. last year i waited for the furman game and the playoffs to bust it out, but i think ill break it out early this season (though i def. won't be wearing it until at least late oct. at KBS, hopefully michigan isn't quite as warm).

so yah, the game is already pretty much a foregone conclusion. put the house on ASU. :nod:

TonkaBison
February 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Last year NDSU defeats Ball State and Ball State gives Michigan a run for their money. Rule is don't be intimidated and play smashmouth football and the "Any Given Saturday" rule can't be overstated. :nod:

!@#$% I would have loved to have seen you in Fargo! :bang:

ASU Kep
February 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
we still have two more games to fill....

TonkaBison
February 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
we still have two more games to fill....

I can only hope. It will at least make us feel a little better for having to sit out yet another year in NCAA xidiotx purgatory! As they say if you want to be the best you have to play the best!!! :twocents:

GrizMFr
February 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
After reading their message board I hope App St kicks their ass. What a bunch of dicks!

TonkaBison
February 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
After reading their message board I hope App St kicks their ass. What a bunch of dicks!

Minnesota pretty much put out the same crap on us last year on their message board. It will be interesting to see what's published this year. :read:

Kiss My Apps
February 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM
FCS teams are usually outmatched in the trenches against FBS teams. Unfortunately for us, this is where the majority of our personnel change is going to take place. Replacing your entire right side of your offensive line along with 3 starters on the defensive front is no small task. While I'm sure they'll be up to the task come conference play, asking them to hold their own against one of the most powerful teams in the country on their first time is a little much...

GreatAppSt
February 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM

:nod: Out of the gate, (As the Class dept goes) they sure don't seem to stack up well to the LSU and Auburn fans.

Que H, H, H, vid:rolleyes: :nonono2: :rolleyes:

T-Dog
February 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM
http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Big10/Michigan/index.htm

Can't wait to be in there and look around and say "............damn"

NDSUFREAK
February 16th, 2007, 11:35 PM
WIU at Illinois
Indiana State at Indiana
UNI at Iowa State
EIU at Purdue

Except that one. ISU is Big 12. LET THE WAR BEGIN! TAKE DOWN THE BIG 10!

DaveK
February 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Pretty cool that we're the first FCS team that Michigan has scheduled.

:nod: :hurray: :nod:

Hopefully their fans will come away with the same respect the LSU fans did in 2005.

That said:

Michigan 42
App 3

I don't think it'll be close at all. :bawling:

Hey, you're realistic. I respect that.

unknown-swac
February 17th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Michigan - 49
ASU - 7

ASU
February 17th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Just found an article on that....ASU gets $400,000 (the same as they got for playing at LSU
in 2005). The "Winston-Salem Journal" article is http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?
pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193240777

They said that they are the first 1-AA school that Michigan has ever played.
Also says that ASU still has two openings on the schedule.

bluehenbillk
February 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM
App State 10
Michigan 49

JMU_Fan_2007
February 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
JMU plays at North Carolina on September 1st.

Other CAA vs FCS on September 1st:
UR at Vandy
Northwestern at Northeastern
Villanova at Maryland

GGASU
February 17th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I see a lot of small numbers on the ASU predictions (3,7,10)

Michigan gave up 80 points in their last two games, and graduated most of the defense.
ASU on the other hand was an offensive machine with two huge record book performances:

Edwards (pass 2000 rush 1000) only 5th time in Div 1 history
Richardson 30 TD (College football record)

Having one of these results is outstanding, having both happen in the same year is unheard of.

31-27 (Michigan scores late to make it close)

GoGuins
February 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I see a lot of small numbers on the ASU predictions (3,7,10)

Michigan gave up 80 points in their last two games, and graduated most of the defense.
ASU on the other hand was an offensive machine with two huge record book performances:

Edwards (pass 2000 rush 1000) only 5th time in Div 1 history
Richardson 30 TD (College football record)

Having one of these results is outstanding, having both happen in the same year is unheard of.

31-27 (Michigan scores late to make it close)

yea, 80 points against 2 of the most powerful offensive FBS teams in the country

As far as Michigan graduating most of their defense, your wrong on that one. 3 of 4 starters return in the secondary, the D-Line returns 2 starters plus 2-3 with a lot of experience. DE returns Eugene Germany (USC transfer) & Jamison but lose Lombardi winner Woodley. The LB corps are hardest hit losing Harris & Burgess but return former starter Graham & 5th year Sr Crable. JUCO All-American Panter looks to come in and contribute right away.

On offense, watch out. 3 of 5 return on the O-Line anchored by All-American LT Jake Long, which runs deep. Both TE's return, Manningham, Arrington, & Matthews at WR, and of course Henne & Hart in the backfield. There's 3 Heisman candidates on offense

It doesn't matter how much of a machine ASU's offense is, Michigan's defense will be too much

hapapp
February 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I am excited that we are opening with Michigan but a realistic assessment of the game suggests that we would be fortunate to stay within 3 scores.

89Hen
February 17th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Except that one. ISU is Big 12. LET THE WAR BEGIN! TAKE DOWN THE BIG 10!
:o Trying to post info too quickly. Kinda funny actually, Iowa is playing Northern Illinois and I had misread it to be UNI, so I posted UNI at Iowa and then realized is was NIU, but the next team down on the list was ISU, so instead of deleting UNI at Iowa, I just added State forgetting that ISU was BigXII. :o

spoogemcgee18
February 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
What a treat. As a longtime Buckeyes fan, I always thought my first game at the Big House would be OSU-Michigan, but this is ten times better. I'll be camping out all night at the box office to get these tickets just like the National Championship game.
Funny thing is, two years ago I walked up to the Holmes Center box office and bought front row LSU tickets two days before the game. My, how far we have come in such a short time.

GoGuins
February 17th, 2007, 11:30 AM
What a treat. As a longtime Buckeyes fan, I always thought my first game at the Big House would be OSU-Michigan, but this is ten times better. I'll be camping out all night at the box office to get these tickets just like the National Championship game.
Funny thing is, two years ago I walked up to the Holmes Center box office and bought front row LSU tickets two days before the game. My, how far we have come in such a short time.

Double whammy there:D Trust me, you'll be able to get tickets at the game from scalpers, they're everywhere. You can probably get them at or below face for this game. Michigan home games cost between $50-60 a seat depending on the opponent.

Here's a visitor's guide
http://umgoblue.com/static/06VisitorsGuide.htm

Another note, Michigan Stadium is full of tradition & history but is somewhat of an eyesore in some respects. It was built in 1927 & the concessions & restrooms are bad, the press box was added in the 50's and you can tell, and you're crammed in your seats like sardines.

Starting next year a $230 million renovation will begin by adding more seats (wider), new restrooms & concessions, 2 new pressboxes on each side with luxury boxes & suites. It's definitely needed

http://bentley.umich.edu/stadium/

GoGuins
February 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Sorry, just saw this. Thought it was kinda funny & before I hear the whole "No respect" comments, YSU is going through the same thing with their game with Ohio State

http://www.umgoblue.com

FlyYtown
February 17th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I see they threw some cheap shots at YSU and Appy there!
Yesterday, I was at a HS basketball game, as well as the Youngstown Steelhounds hockey game, and when I told some of the people I was with that Appy was playing Michigan.

They immediately said: UPSET SPECIAL.

Appy Fans... The respect you guys earned after your blowout of YSU is pretty amazing. I'm telling you, these people really think you can beat Michigan.

spoogemcgee18
February 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM
It's funny to see the complaints from Michigan fans. While I don't expect a win, I also don't think they have any idea what they are in for. The stigma of the word "Appalachian" and the designation "D-1AA" really have them fired up.
It gives me yet another reason to HATE that team up north. Perhaps I'll wear an Ohio State hat to go with my Appalachian jersey.

GoGuins
February 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I see they threw some cheap shots at YSU and Appy there!
Yesterday, I was at a HS basketball game, as well as the Youngstown Steelhounds hockey game, and when I told some of the people I was with that Appy was playing Michigan.

They immediately said: UPSET SPECIAL.

Appy Fans... The respect you guys earned after your blowout of YSU is pretty amazing. I'm telling you, these people really think you can beat Michigan.

Yea...and YSU can beat OSU:rolleyes:

BrevardMountaineer03
February 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
I appreciate all the support that I have seen on the board so far. I think this will be a huge catalyst for the '07 season. UM will be favored and probably win, but I think ASU has a chance (yes, I'm a homer).

patssle
February 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
guessing the score is pointless I think. Michigan will probably hang whatever they want on you. It just depends how much class the coach has.

But good luck :)

GlennGoBlue
February 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
A little perspective here from a long-time Michigan fan and Richmond grad whose parents live about a mile from the stadium in Boone.

ASU has no chance in this game and will get pounded by whatever score Lloyd feels like winning by. Good news is, Lloyd, despite his somewhat handicapped coaching abilities, is one of the classiest guys in D-1 and will not embarass anyone, will give plenty of backups Playing time. On top of the immense disparity in talent, ASU also has some major matchup problems. Michigan is absolutely loaded on offense and will likely put up 35+ on any D-1 team they play. Someone said about that D-Line will be a ? for ASU, that is not good. Michigan will likely just run the ball down their throats all day, which may limit the time/score.

Further, correct me if I am wrong but the passing game is NOT ASU's strength, no? Which also does not bode well as the secondary is UM's biggest question mark entering next year. The front 7 will likely be not quite as good as this past year but still should be very good and very deep. ASU will encounter tough sledding trying to move the ball on the ground at all.

As for any comments you may read on the Michigan Rivals board, I would not take them too seriously. That board is good for info but like everything else is a cross-section of fans. Some idiots out there just like everything else. Biggest issue with them is that they pay for season tix and think they are somehow getting cheated if one of those games is vs. a "FCS" (I still call it I-AA) team. Of course, they are overlooking the fact that they also get Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, and OSU this year.

Anyway, good luck to ASU, but it it gonna be a long day for them and anyone that hopes this game is remotely close past about halfway through the 2nd quarter is kidding themselves or needs to do a little research before they spout off. Michigan will likely be ranked no less than 4th, nationally, when the season opens. And will likely fail to live up to it but we have gotten used to it.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks guy! Well that settles it!:rolleyes:

GlennGoBlue
February 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, it does. Citing results like UNH beating NW or Richmond beating Duke last year is absurd. Those teams were in the bottom 25 of all D-1 teams last year. Michigan will be top 5 team next year and will has 4-star recruits that are 3rd in the depth chart. I obviously graduated from a "FCS" school so I follow and cheer for them/I-AA but this game will be a big-time blowout with ASU never having a chance.

February 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Yes, it does. Citing results like UNH beating NW or Richmond beating Duke last year is absurd. Those teams were in the bottom 25 of all D-1 teams last year. Michigan will be top 5 team next year and will has 4-star recruits that are 3rd in the depth chart. I obviously graduated from a "FCS" school so I follow and cheer for them/I-AA but this game will be a big-time blowout with ASU never having a chance.Ever heard of a team called LSU? They were ranked very high when they hosted App St two years ago and that game was not "a big-time blowout." Matter of fact, LSU had their starters in during the fourth quarter before winning 24-0. Maybe that's just LSU though, a similar thing happened when they played WIU before that. Not saying, just saying.

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Ever heard of a team called LSU? They were ranked very high when they hosted App St two years ago and that game was not "a big-time blowout." Matter of fact, LSU had their starters in during the fourth quarter before winning 24-0. Not saying, just saying.

I think ASU's biggest challenge here is going to be the game plan- Michigan's linebackers and secondary are going to have the speed to give the option problems, and they will undoubtedly have a spy on Edwards every play.

I have a feeling we'll see something different than the normal ASU strategy- I can't wait to see how Coach Moore sets this one up.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Ever hear of the Wofford Terriers? South Carolina had their starters in the game on the last play of the game last season against little underfunded Wofford. South Carolina was within a field goal of beating Florida.

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ever hear of the Wofford Terriers? South Carolina had their starters in the game on the last play of the game last season against little underfunded Wofford. South Carolina was within a field goal of beating Florida.

Thanks for the plug, Citdog. Losing 27-20 to a Spurrier-coached team was amazing----but if we hadn't blown the block on the pitch on their 4-yard line at the end of the game, it would've been much sweeter to take the game into OT!:nod:

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 01:57 PM
IT IS VERY SWEET TO BEAT USC! 38-35!

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:07 PM
IT IS VERY SWEET TO BEAT USC! 38-35!

That was what year under which coach for Carolina?

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Charlie Taffe was our coach then, USC's was former App St Sparky Woods. 1990. App has beaten them and Furman as well. Arkansas is a pretty good program to beat as well. Army and Navy not to shabby!

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Charlie Taffe was our coach then, USC's was former App St Sparky Woods. 1990. App has beaten them and Furman as well. Arkansas is a pretty good program to beat as well. Army and Navy not to shabby!

When you guys moving up to FBS, then?:D

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM
We would be moving "back" to that level not "UP" you see we never played NAIA or D2 ball like some!

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
We would be moving "back" to that level not "UP" you see we never played NAIA or D2 ball like some!

Yeah, it's a shame to be stuck in the same place forever, and never be able to move up.:D

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
When you are at the top level there is no place to go!:thumbsup:

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM
When you are at the top level there is no place to go!:thumbsup:

Except down in the standings, unfortunately for some.:nod:

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think we may have hijacked this thread, CitDog- how 'bout them Mountaineers?xlolx xlolx

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Don't play with Yosef!

Mountaineer
February 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I think we may have hijacked this thread, CitDog- how 'bout them Mountaineers?xlolx xlolx

I was about to say.. xlolx

Seriously, this thread is for the guys who couldn't get into Michigan but are super-huge-giant fans and need to make the point that App will lose by 62.846 points.

That is if they come back from sitting around and beatin' it over pictures of Lloyd Carr. :thumbsup: :p

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Don't play with Yosef!

I think somebody already has.

http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/spacecraft.gif

GoldandBlack
February 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I was about to say.. xlolx

Seriously, this thread is for the guys who couldn't get into Michigan but are super-huge-giant fans and need to make the point that App will lose by 62.846 points.

That is if they come back from sitting around and beatin' it over pictures of Lloyd Carr. :thumbsup: :p

Just keep hoping they underestimate you - it's the best way to surprise a team.:smiley_wi

BigApp
February 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
A little perspective here from a long-time Michigan fan and Richmond grad whose parents live about a mile from the stadium in Boone.

ASU has no chance in this game and will get pounded by whatever score Lloyd feels like winning by.

:eyebrow: Tell us, did Lloyd only want to be a bad Ball State team by 8?

:eyebrow: How 'bout that sweat-job against a bad Vanderbilt team?

In the end you may be right, that's why we play the games. But your reasoning is far from sound. Go sell crazy somewhere else.

Go...gate
February 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM

That was a great period. Citadel not only beat several FBS teams, but scared the sh-t out of several others. Taffe was a great coach and I'm betting that Higgins will succeed in a similar fashion.

GlennGoBlue
February 17th, 2007, 05:35 PM
:eyebrow: Tell us, did Lloyd only want to be a bad Ball State team by 8?

:eyebrow: How 'bout that sweat-job against a bad Vanderbilt team?

In the end you may be right, that's why we play the games. But your reasoning is far from sound. Go sell crazy somewhere else.

You guys are crazy. You watch too much I-AA football to have any sort of opinion when I plays I-AA. The game against Ball State was against a I-A team and one in which the starters were pulled a bit too early. I watched the Vanderbilt game and it was never in doubt.

Keep propagating the notion that I-AA teams can compete against I-A, you guys clearly validate yourselves on that notion. I am GOOD friends with a Huge Delaware fan that does the same thing.

Ralph, I didn't watch the LSU/ASU game, but last time I checked ASU didn't score.

Michigan wins this game by whatever score they want to, let me just end the drama and suspense for you guys. Nice little division you/I have, The Big House will be a comeuppance. Part of me hope Lloyd pours it on so my buddy and you guys can stop with this BS.

YOU/ASU WILL BE PLAYING A TOP 5 TEAM ON THE ROAD AND WILL GET BLOWN OUT BY AS MANY AS LLOYD FEELS LIKE BEATING THEM BY.

Fortunately, that won't be as many as you'd get in The Swamp.

GaSouthern
February 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I hope every single starter gets hurt via upper inner sinal strain in the final play of the game where appy wins 33-31 but all starters return to normal Sunday 10/21/2007 ;)

jbuggASU
February 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
"ASU's starting QB is like 6 foot and 160lbs or something... ouch... their O line is kinda big, their D line is really small, but that's D2 football. I think they'll score but I think the experience, size and talent will force a big miss match.. I predict 57-10. Their just too small."

- Posted by Wolverine076 www.umgoblue.com

:bang: :rotateh: :bang: :nonono2:

Keeper
February 17th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Love to see the historic upsets.
Makes college football so great.
Any word of possible TV?

ASU & YSU - GIT ER DONE!

FlyYtown
February 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Love to see the historic upsets.
Makes college football so great.
Any word of possible TV?

ASU & YSU - GIT ER DONE!

Ohio State is always on TV, whether it be ABC or ESPN or ESPN+. I figure this will be an ESPN+ game; just because that is what we were on this season in Men's Basketball when we took on the Bucks. It will be picked up by WYTV in Youngstown.

But it won't matter to me: I will be in the 'shoe!

NDSUFREAK
February 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Let's go BISON! Beat the goofers......

February 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
You guys are crazy. You watch too much I-AA football to have any sort of opinion when I plays I-AA. The game against Ball State was against a I-A team and one in which the starters were pulled a bit too early... Ralph, I didn't watch the LSU/ASU game, but last time I checked ASU didn't score... Nice little division you/I have, The Big House will be a comeuppance. Part of me hope Lloyd pours it on so my buddy and you guys can stop with this BS... YOU/ASU WILL BE PLAYING A TOP 5 TEAM ON THE ROAD AND WILL GET BLOWN OUT BY AS MANY AS LLOYD FEELS LIKE BEATING THEM BY...Hey dude COOL IT WITH THE SMACK. AGS has a board for it and this is not it. This is for discussion. BTW, I-AA doesn't exist anymore in case you didn't notice. We are called what we have always been, the NCAA Division I Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision (FCS for short). We don't have "any sort of opinion when I plays I-AA" huh? Uh we have always been I so please learn a bit before you pass generalizations incorrectly. It is obvious you didn't watch App St play LSU (who BTW were 2004 BCS CHAMPIONS) in 2005 nor saw PROVISIONAL FCS TEAM North Dakota State beat your beloved FBS Ball State last year. If you had you would have noticed that App St played LSU very tight and NDSU DOMINATE Ball State. A comeuppance you say? You "hope Lloyd pours it on so my buddy and you guys can stop with this BS"? Where the heck do you come from talking like that here? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: You would do very well to learn what you are talking about before you bring your FCS-demeaning smack to the AGS Discussion board sir.

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Again with the chin Ralph!:thumbsup:

ngineer
February 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Wow--a day where all AGSers should be standing united for our bretheran to go slay a Goliath..To the Mountaineers, welcome to the 'Big House'. Saw a couple games there in the mid 1970's when I lived in Detroit. Great scene, but actually not a great place to watch a game. BE SURE to take good field glasses. The seats are so far away from the field.
Go 'neers and 'guins!:thumbsup:

February 17th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Wow--a day where all AGSers should be standing united for our bretheran to go slay a Goliath...I'll be seeing an FCS victory that day for the second straight year at BIG TEN Northwestern, this time delivered by the Northeastern Huskies! :nod:

citdog
February 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM
On 9-15 I will be in Madison for The Citadel vs Wisconsin! :thumbsup:

GlennGoBlue
February 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Hey dude COOL IT WITH THE SMACK. AGS has a board for it and this is not it. This is for discussion. BTW, I-AA doesn't exist anymore in case you didn't notice. We are called what we have always been, the NCAA Division I Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision (FCS for short). We don't have "any sort of opinion when I plays I-AA" huh? Uh we have always been I so please learn a bit before you pass generalizations incorrectly. It is obvious you didn't watch App St play LSU (who BTW were 2004 BCS CHAMPIONS) in 2005 nor saw PROVISIONAL FCS TEAM North Dakota State beat your beloved FBS Ball State last year. If you had you would have noticed that App St played LSU very tight and NDSU DOMINATE Ball State. A comeuppance you say? You "hope Lloyd pours it on so my buddy and you guys can stop with this BS"? Where the heck do you come from talking like that here? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: You would do very well to learn what you are talking about before you bring your FCS-demeaning smack to the AGS Discussion board sir.

I am honestly not trying to "talk smack". Apologize if taken as such. I am a Richmond Grad/Fan and I cheer for and respect the "FCS". I just think it's absurd that peeps think ASU has a chance in this game to even keep it close. I have been a Michigan fan for 30 years but a Richmond grad for only 17 so it's obvious where my true loyalties lie. But I follow recruiting quite closely and honestly think UM's 3rd team would beat ASU by 20. I guess we can just revisit the topic on September 2nd.

ngineer
February 17th, 2007, 11:36 PM
On 9-15 I will be in Madison for The Citadel vs Wisconsin! :thumbsup:

Excellent! That should be great trip. Camp Randall Stadium is a neat venue. Plus you get to hear one of the best college fight songs played by the school that owns it. Hopefully, you don't hear it too much, and Higgins is able to find a way!:thumbsup:

February 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM
... honestly think UM's 3rd team would beat ASU by 20...Last year:
Michigan beat Ball State by 8
provisional FCS NDSU beats Ball State by 5

This year:
Michigan's 3rd string beats the defending FCS champs App St by 20 : retard :

Put the koolaid down and slowly back away. No offense but I think you have had enough. Just be glad Michigan is playing at home. xlolx

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Michigan beats Notre Dame by 26 on the road
Notre Dame beats Navy by 24 on the road (might be neutral, actually)
Navy beats UMass by 1 at home
Umass Loses to Appy by 11 on a neutral site.

Sounds like Michigan could/would/will beat Appy by about 50 at home. Amazing how you guys never run scores the other way.

This "Kool-Aid" tastes good.

February 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Michigan beats Notre Dame by 26 on the road
Notre Dame beats Navy by 24 on the road (might be neutral, actually)
Navy beats UMass by 1 at home
Umass Loses to Appy by 11 on a neutral site.
Sounds like Michigan could/would/will beat Appy by about 50 at home. Amazing how you guys never run scores the other way.
This "Kool-Aid" tastes good.You can always go drink it somewhere else you know?

You're the one who talked about Ball State.
You're the one who said we were crazy.
You're the one who said we were BS.
You're the one who said I and I-AA.
You're the one who posted nonsense after I posted common opponents of Ball State.

In your lust to demean the FCS you overlooked more relevant info from teams in your own conference just last season.

You could have posted something like Northwestern's common opponents of lowly FCS UNH and your team Michigan.
Michigan beat Northwestern 17-3 at home
UNH beat Northwestern 34-17 at Northwestern

You could have posted something like Indiana's common opponents of lowly FCS Southern Illinois and your team Michigan.
Michigan beat Indiana 34-3 at Indiana
SIU beat Indiana 35-28 at Indiana

You could have posted something like Minnesota's common opponents of lowly FCS NDSU and your team Michigan.
Michigan beat Minnesota 28-14 at Minnesota
NDSU lost to Minnesota 10-9 at Minnesota

Hey sir, I grew up 60 miles from the University of Michigan. My mother and one of my brothers hold degrees from there. I attended it for one semester. I know how Wolverine football is revered. But I would not go on the national FCS board and demean the FCS. Some might think that is smackish lack of class.

I hope you will post about the Spiders at some point just to show you are not simply an FBS troll. We are a community, our discussion board is not a place for smack trash.

Have fun here but respect it as well.

Thanks.

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Somebody hook Glenn up with DaveK so thay can share a brain! :p

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 12:58 AM
This is the thing, Ralph.

You guys seem to need to validate yourselves by comparing yourselves to I-A.

I GRADUATED FROM AN "FCS" UNIVERSITY AND LIKE THE DIVISION VERY MUCH.

But Michigan will blow the DOORS off of ASU on 9/1 and it's absurd that "you guys" (using that term loosely) think anything otherwise.

For God's sake, why do you ALWAYS cite the lowlys (Indiana, Ball State, etc) to bring credence to the "FCS". No one gives a F about the, and that's the only reason they occasionally sneak up on the teams of D-1 that actually matter.

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Alright, Ralph, I jumped the gun before I posted my last. I went back and reread the end of your post. I am NOT out here bashing the "FCS" as a whole at all. I obviously went to a school that competes at that level.

It just got my dander up a smidge when I saw early posts thinking that ASU had a chance and I DO believe they don't.

I'll be here to talk Richmond Football if they stay competitive, which I hope they do.

February 18th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Somebody hook Glenn up with DaveK so thay can share a brain!Well, now Michigan did go 4-0 in their schedule against teams that also played FCS teams and the FCS teams only managed to go 3-1.

Though Michigan sometimes had greater margins of victory he did mention that they play these teams every year so they may have a better game plan. And he said they did play some at home instead of the FCS teams playing them all on the road.

Oh wait, he didn't say any of that. Nevermind. xlolx

Mod33
February 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM
GlennGoBlue,
Please observe the rules of AGS and this messageboard. Smack like "But Michigan will blow the DOORS off of ASU on 9/1 and it's absurd that 'you guys' (using that term loosely) think anything otherwise" is not allowed on this forum. We maintain a Smack board for that. This is only a warning but our moderation rules are posted as a sticky on this board. Please read that, the board definition and the terms of service. Most of all, enjoy yourself here.

Mod33

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:18 AM
GlennGoBlue,
Please observe the rules of AGS and this messageboard. Smack like "But Michigan will blow the DOORS off of ASU on 9/1 and it's absurd that 'you guys' (using that term loosely) think anything otherwise" is not allowed on this forum. We maintain a Smack board for that. This is only a warning but our moderation rules are posted as a sticky on this board. Please read that, the board definition and the terms of service. Most of all, enjoy yourself here.

Mod33

Apologize for not necessarily knowing the rules, I will stop. Again, proud Richmond grad that hopes we get deep in the playoffs next year.

Ralph, you wanna continue anything, try [email protected].

No acrimony, just honest discussion on my part.

February 18th, 2007, 01:19 AM
This is the thing, Ralph. You guys seem to need to validate yourselves by comparing yourselves to I-A... why do you ALWAYS cite the lowlys (Indiana, Ball State, etc) to bring credence to the "FCS". No one gives a F about the, and that's the only reason they occasionally sneak up on the teams of D-1 that actually matter.Validate ourselves by comparing ourselves to "I-A" (sic)? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Sir, We are the ones holding the NCAA Division I Football Championship trophy at the end of the season. That's enough to know we are the top team in the country to do that. The reason I mentioned the teams is because THEY ARE COMMON OPPONENTS with your team. You can keep thinking you are a fan of "the teams of D-1 that actually matter" and we'll keep beating you even though we spend less, lose less, have fewer scholarships, commit fewer NCAA violations and always play at your house. It may surprise you that fans of ASU and others think they have a chance at Michigan. In fact you seem to be shocked that all of us don't just roll on our backs and offer you all access. Sorry, we are fans, great fans of our teams as well. What did you expect on the national FCS board? Sheesh.

February 18th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Just so you know Glenn, I posted this in this thread (#68):
While I do not think the upset possibility is all that real I love the precedent being set. Now even the Wolverines are hosting an FCS squad, in the "big house!"

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:32 AM
I honestly don't know what you're post above really means. Comparing the playoff format of "FCS" is one thing. Thinking they would actually have a shot against the top "FBS" is another.

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Validate ourselves by comparing ourselves to "I-A" (sic)? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Sir, We are the ones holding the NCAA Division I Football Championship trophy at the end of the season. That's enough to know we are the top team in the country to do that. The reason I mentioned the teams is because THEY ARE COMMON OPPONENTS with your team. You can keep thinking you are a fan of "the teams of D-1 that actually matter" and we'll keep beating you even though we spend less, lose less, have fewer scholarships, commit fewer NCAA violations and always play at your house. It may surprise you that fans of ASU and others think they have a chance at Michigan. In fact you seem to be shocked that all of us don't just roll on our backs and offer you all access. Sorry, we are fans, great fans of our teams as well. What did you expect on the national FCS board? Sheesh.

I guess at the end of the day this just kinda shows you have an axe to grind and an inferiority complex.

GGASU
February 18th, 2007, 01:45 AM
ASU has just as good or better team speed than Michigan. Of course the wolverines are bigger (So was UMass, YSU, JMU, etc.....)

The team we currently have reminds me alot of the 96 Marshall team. (A I-AA team that could have played with anyone in the country)

I will guarentee you that not a single member of the Mountaineer team is going to Ann Arbor for a moral victory.

February 18th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I honestly don't know what you're post above really means. Comparing the playoff format of "FCS" is one thing. Thinking they would actually have a shot against the top "FBS" is another.
I guess at the end of the day this just kinda shows you have an axe to grind and an inferiority complex.App St is not playing Florida or Ohio St this year GGB, Michigan is not "the top 'FBS'" you know? You do think it is okay to continue smacking and even personally attacking me. Guess you didn't read the rules sir.

I might say that it seems like you are the one with an axe to grind and possibly a superiority complex but I won't?

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=GGASU]ASU has just as good or better team speed than Michigan. Of course the wolverines are bigger (So was UMass, YSU, JMU, etc.....)

Are you kidding me?

GGASU
February 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM
[QUOTE=GGASU]ASU has just as good or better team speed than Michigan. Of course the wolverines are bigger (So was UMass, YSU, JMU, etc.....)

Are you kidding me?

No not kidding .........FACT

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM
When did I personally attack you, Ralph?

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 01:57 AM
[QUOTE=GlennGoBlue]

Right, check with me on the NFL draft. They are all over ASU grads. As good or better team speed? Are you seriously making this argument?

February 18th, 2007, 02:01 AM
... As good or better team speed? Are you seriously making this argument?C'mon, how many times are you going to say that? Post a rebuttal (maybe with facts, or at least ask for facts) or don't.

BTW, your attack to me was "you have an axe to grind and an inferiority complex." Both are false and out of line. :nod:

Can you calm down like you said you would? I want you to be a part of this community but you seem to have other ideas.

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=GlennGoBlue]

You seriously make this argument? Lamar Woodley, Alan Branch, Leon Hall, David Harris?

Next year, Terrence Taylor, Tim Jamison, Brandon Graham, Morgan Trent, Shawn Crable?

Are you seriously kidding me? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Mod33 Edit: That's the last personal attack for tonight GlennGoBlue.]

GGASU
February 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE=GGASU]

Right, check with me on the NFL draft. They are all over ASU grads. As good or better team speed? Are you seriously making this argument?

It actually is better team speed, but I put in as good so I wouldn't hear it from doubters like you.

I think you have a label problem....top FCS teams are very good football teams. If you had a chance to watch the NDSU/Minn game last year you would know that the Bison were more talented at almost every position compared to the Gophers. I am pretty sure that Minn. had numerous 3 and 4 star recruits on their team.

We have two or three NFL draft picks on the current team. One NFL player (Hunter) off of the 2005 team, and at least 2 from 2006 will get invited to camps.

GlennGoBlue
February 18th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Ralph, you can't actually belive ASU's team speed approaches Michigan's, I am lost if that's the case...

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 02:16 AM
The only difference sir, is that Michigan, and Wisconsin who The Citadel plays, have 3 of them for every 1 we do. Let me tell you what will probably happen. I have been in attendence 12 times when The Citadel has played I-A, keeping it simple for you buddy teams seeing the 'Dogs triumph 4 times. Michigan will come out and expect App to lay down for them ala Florida State did with us. App will smack them in the mouth, and UM will take a quarter to respond and the score at the half will be like 17-10 UM. In the third quarter things will stay about the same but to be fair lets say 27-13. In the fourth qtr depth will start to show and UM will get cheap TD when APP blitzes, and they will, because they are there to WIN and UM will win 34-13 and everyone in that house will come away respecting FCS Football. Your fans will say things like "Damn if our boys only played half as hard and got after the other team half as much as that FCS team we played UM WOULD NEVER LOSE"

But on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY................

Mountaineer
February 18th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Mod33 xsmoochx :beerchug: :bow:

February 18th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Ralph, you can't actually belive ASU's team speed approaches Michigan's, I am lost if that's the case...twice more after I asked you if you were going to keep repeating yourself you did it! Man, you seem in serious disbelief that FCS fans think they are good. Again they went 3-1 against 25% of your schedule. Sir, you may need to reel it in.

Appstate29
February 18th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I agree that we might have something approaching equal team speed with Michigan. The thing this Michigan fan doesn't seem to realize is we aren't comparing that to overall size or even athleticism. We get our speed going after undersized guys, Michigan can go after the oversized guys with the same speed. for example, Jerome Touchstone runs a sub 4.4 40. But hes 5'8 155. Michs CBs prob run in the same area 40. But they are 6'1 193, 5-10 165 ect. ect. The same on O Line with us we have some guys in the 270-280 range that are very fast and athletic, but not big on size. Michs O line may be around the same speed but they are all 8'11 and 469 pounds. WE'll see how we adjust, I don't care what the score is (although I have predicted a 24-21 win by the Apps) as long as we play to WIN.

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 02:43 AM

ASU has no chance in this game and will get pounded by whatever score Lloyd feels like winning by. Good news is, Lloyd, despite his somewhat handicapped coaching abilities, is one of the classiest guys in D-1 and will not embarass anyone, will give plenty of backups Playing time. On top of the immense disparity in talent, ASU also has some major matchup problems. Michigan is absolutely loaded on offense and will likely put up 35+ on any D-1 team they play. Someone said about that D-Line will be a ? for ASU, that is not good. Michigan will likely just run the ball down their throats all day, which may limit the time/score.

Further, correct me if I am wrong but the passing game is NOT ASU's strength, no? Which also does not bode well as the secondary is UM's biggest question mark entering next year. The front 7 will likely be not quite as good as this past year but still should be very good and very deep. ASU will encounter tough sledding trying to move the ball on the ground at all.

As for any comments you may read on the Michigan Rivals board, I would not take them too seriously. That board is good for info but like everything else is a cross-section of fans. Some idiots out there just like everything else. Biggest issue with them is that they pay for season tix and think they are somehow getting cheated if one of those games is vs. a "FCS" (I still call it I-AA) team. Of course, they are overlooking the fact that they also get Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, and OSU this year.

Anyway, good luck to ASU, but it it gonna be a long day for them and anyone that hopes this game is remotely close past about halfway through the 2nd quarter is kidding themselves or needs to do a little research before they spout off. Michigan will likely be ranked no less than 4th, nationally, when the season opens. And will likely fail to live up to it but we have gotten used to it.
Considering that you honestly don't seem to know a whole lot about Appalachian State, let someone who has covered the Mountaineer program and I-AA/FCS football for 15 seasons (and someone who is a published author on ASU's 2005 championship season) enlighten you a bit. Please take this as an endeavor to educate you and not smack, or argue with you. Also, keep in mind that I have 30 years of experience covering college football (including having covered Michigan games in the past). Anyway, to address some of your points:

1. I remember a large group of people saying that App State had NO chance against Clemson in 1997, Auburn in 1999 and LSU in 2005. I covered each of those games and witnessed the Mountaineers giving nationally-ranked teams all they could handle. Against a top-20 Clemson squad, the Mountaineers eventually lost 23-12, but frustrated the Tigers all day long. Tommy West was long in his praise for ASU that day, particularly the Mountaineer defense. Against Auburn, the Mountaineers DOMINATED play and only a series of fluky events allowed Auburn to even be in the game in the second half. A RB fumbled untouched as he was crossing the goal line to negate an ASU TD. The Mountaineer kicker shockingly missed a bunch of chip-shot field goals and an extra point to keep Auburn in the game. An injury forced a freshman CB into the game and he was burned on a long TD pass in the final seconds as Auburn pulled out the game 22-15, even though ASU had about twice as many yards. Against LSU, which was ranked THIRD in the BCS at the time of the game and then beat a highly-ranked Alabama squad the following week on the road, App State gave up a TD on LSU's opening drive and then settled in to hold the Tigers down most of the rest of the game. LSU added a TD near halftime to make it 14-0 and then survived two ASU scoring threats in the third quarter. Kevin Richardson, an All-American RB who scored 31 TDs last season, inexplicably dropped a long TD pass. He was open by 10 or 15 yards, but one of the most sure-handed receivers in all of the FCS somehow dropped a catch he makes 99 times out of 100. The Mountaineers then drove to the LSU 11 on the next series before a bad play call stymied the drive and the All-American place kicker, Julian Rauch, hit the right upright with a short field goal attempt. Anyone who was at the game would tell you that the score should have been 14-all, or 14-10 heading to the fourth quarter. It was only in the final period that LSU finally was able to wear down ASU on a hot and humid night in Baton Rouge.

2. You say that ASU will have MAJOR matchup problems. Are you aware that the Mountaineers give other teams matchup problems all of the time? ASU has most of its offense returning and runs the no huddle spread attack that has been responsible for EVERY national championship in college football during the past two years (BCS; NCAA Division I, Division II and Division III). This offense includes a guard, Kerry Brown, that is expected to be a first-day NFL draft choice in 2008, a RB in Richardson who is another All-American and an NFL prospect and a QB who was just the fifth QB in NCAA history and only the second freshman to rush for over 1,000 yards and pass for more than 2,000 yards in a single season. Armanti Edwards is one of the quickest QBs at ANY level of college football and was the first freshman QB EVER to lead his team to an NCAA D-I title. The only other to even take his team to a title game is current New York Jets starter Chad Pennington. Edwards is considered a future NFL draft choice as an athlete by many NFL scouts. Edwards is also seldom sacked.

3. You questioned ASU's ability to throw the ball? The Mountaineers have the deepest group of receivers in FCS football and actually improved that depth by signing a freshman who could emerge as a future NFL-type player. He is 6-5 and 220 pounds and can also run. Only the late passing of his SATs kept this kid from landing in the ACC or SEC. ASU, like West Virginia (who the offense is patterned after), likes to run first with Richardson and Edwards and talented offensive line, but the Mountaineers are also very balanced and can create favorable matchup situations by spreading the field and getting teams into one-on-one coverage.

4. On defense, ASU returns seven of 11 starters and three or four others who are very experienced to a unit that was among the best in the country in 2005. ASU lost two All-Americans in DE Marques Murrell and SS Jeremy Wiggins, but the Mountaineers return a playmaking free safety in All-American Corey Lynch (he blocks kicks, intercepts passes — including three fourth-quarter picks in three playoff games — and recovers fumbles. The CBs will be in their fourth year as starters and the entire secondary will be seniors. The linebacking corps has two starters who are likely FCS All-Americans in the future and Gary Tharrington is expected to join a long list of All-American DEs that dates back 20 years. The Mountaineers may have lost three defensive line starters (really the only major graduation hit to this team in one area), but there is plenty of talent ready to step in. ASU just completed the best two recruiting years in school history, according to most experts.

I'm not predicting an ASU victory over Michigan, but I think the Mountaineers were better than probably half of I-A last season (the various computer rankings like the Sagarin confirm this opinion) and they are VERY capable of being competitive with the Wolverines. Whether this is an FBS or FCS team, it is one of the fastest teams that Michigan will see all year long (you will see it for yourself, if you decide to go to the Big House on Spet. 1). And remember that FCS teams won three games against Big 10 opponents in 2005 and should have picked up a fourth (North Dakota State dominated Minnesota, but had a game-winning FG attempt blocked on the final play of the game to lose 10-9). ASU is a dangerous team that no one in college football should overlook. Michigan will have an edge in size and strength and that advantage of 22 extra scholarships to build more depth, and should be able to wear the Mountaineers down by the fourth quarter. But don't be surprised if it still is a game entering the fourth quarter.

Maybe you were the one that needed to do a little research before posting.

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Ralph, you can't actually belive ASU's team speed approaches Michigan's, I am lost if that's the case...
Have you seen App State play? If you had, you would know that the Mountaineers are VERY fast. After watching the bowl games, we also saw that one of the biggest weaknesses for Big 10 teams was speed. Michigan may be the fastest team in the Big 10, but what other team on the Wolverines' schedule will be faster than ASU? UMass was an extremely fast team, but in the FCS title game, the Minutemen couldn't keep up with the Mountaineers. ASU may have a size disadvantage to a lot of teams, but the one thing the Mountaineers can do is run.

proasu89
February 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Considering that you honestly don't seem to know a whole lot about Appalachian State, let someone who has covered the Mountaineer program and I-AA/FCS football for 15 seasons (and someone who is a published author on ASU's 2005 championship season) enlighten you a bit. Please take this as an endeavor to educate you and not smack, or argue with you. Also, keep in mind that I have 30 years of experience covering college football (including having covered Michigan games in the past). Anyway, to address some of your points:

1. I remember a large group of people saying that App State had NO chance against Clemson in 1997, Auburn in 1999 and LSU in 2005. I covered each of those games and witnessed the Mountaineers giving nationally-ranked teams all they could handle. Against a top-20 Clemson squad, the Mountaineers eventually lost 23-12, but frustrated the Tigers all day long. Tommy West was long in his praise for ASU that day, particularly the Mountaineer defense. Against Auburn, the Mountaineers DOMINATED play and only a series of fluky events allowed Auburn to even be in the game in the second half. A RB fumbled untouched as he was crossing the goal line to negate an ASU TD. The Mountaineer kicker shockingly missed a bunch of chip-shot field goals and an extra point to keep Auburn in the game. An injury forced a freshman CB into the game and he was burned on a long TD pass in the final seconds as Auburn pulled out the game 22-15, even though ASU had about twice as many yards. Against LSU, which was ranked THIRD in the BCS at the time of the game and then beat a highly-ranked Alabama squad the following week on the road, App State gave up a TD on LSU's opening drive and then settled in to hold the Tigers down most of the rest of the game. LSU added a TD near halftime to make it 14-0 and then survived two ASU scoring threats in the third quarter. Kevin Richardson, an All-American RB who scored 31 TDs last season, inexplicably dropped a long TD pass. He was open by 10 or 15 yards, but one of the most sure-handed receivers in all of the FCS somehow dropped a catch he makes 99 times out of 100. The Mountaineers then drove to the LSU 11 on the next series before a bad play call stymied the drive and the All-American place kicker, Julian Rauch, hit the right upright with a short field goal attempt. Anyone who was at the game would tell you that the score should have been 14-all, or 14-10 heading to the fourth quarter. It was only in the final period that LSU finally was able to wear down ASU on a hot and humid night in Baton Rouge.

2. You say that ASU will have MAJOR matchup problems. Are you aware that the Mountaineers give other teams matchup problems all of the time? ASU has most of its offense returning and runs the no huddle spread attack that has been responsible for EVERY national championship in college football during the past two years (BCS; NCAA Division I, Division II and Division III). This offense includes a guard, Kerry Brown, that is expected to be a first-day NFL draft choice in 2008, a RB in Richardson who is another All-American and an NFL prospect and a QB who was just the fifth QB in NCAA history and only the second freshman to rush for over 1,000 yards and pass for more than 2,000 yards in a single season. Armanti Edwards is one of the quickest QBs at ANY level of college football and was the first freshman QB EVER to lead his team to an NCAA D-I title. The only other to even take his team to a title game is current New York Jets starter Chad Pennington. Edwards is considered a future NFL draft choice as an athlete by many NFL scouts. Edwards is also seldom sacked.

3. You questioned ASU's ability to throw the ball? The Mountaineers have the deepest group of receivers in FCS football and actually improved that depth by signing a freshman who could emerge as a future NFL-type player. He is 6-5 and 220 pounds and can also run. Only the late passing of his SATs kept this kid from landing in the ACC or SEC. ASU, like West Virginia (who the offense is patterned after), likes to run first with Richardson and Edwards and talented offensive line, but the Mountaineers are also very balanced and can create favorable matchup situations by spreading the field and getting teams into one-on-one coverage.

4. On defense, ASU returns seven of 11 starters and three or four others who are very experienced to a unit that was among the best in the country in 2005. ASU lost two All-Americans in DE Marques Murrell and SS Jeremy Wiggins, but the Mountaineers return a playmaking free safety in All-American Corey Lynch (he blocks kicks, intercepts passes — including three fourth-quarter picks in three playoff games — and recovers fumbles. The CBs will be in their fourth year as starters and the entire secondary will be seniors. The linebacking corps has two starters who are likely FCS All-Americans in the future and Gary Tharrington is expected to join a long list of All-American DEs that dates back 20 years. The Mountaineers may have lost three defensive line starters (really the only major graduation hit to this team in one area), but there is plenty of talent ready to step in. ASU just completed the best two recruiting years in school history, according to most experts.

I'm not predicting an ASU victory over Michigan, but I think the Mountaineers were better than probably half of I-A last season (the various computer rankings like the Sagarin confirm this opinion) and they are VERY capable of being competitive with the Wolverines. Whether this is an FBS or FCS team, it is one of the fastest teams that Michigan will see all year long (you will see it for yourself, if you decide to go to the Big House on Spet. 1). And remember that FCS teams won three games against Big 10 opponents in 2005 and should have picked up a fourth (North Dakota State dominated Minnesota, but had a game-winning FG attempt blocked on the final play of the game to lose 10-9). ASU is a dangerous team that no one in college football should overlook. Michigan will have an edge in size and strength and that advantage of 22 extra scholarships to build more depth, and should be able to wear the Mountaineers down by the fourth quarter. But don't be surprised if it still is a game entering the fourth quarter.

Oh but hold on Mr. C. Don't you remember from his first post, Glenn's parents live only a mile from Kidd Brewer. That seals it for mexlolx

GoGuins
February 18th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Have you seen App State play? If you had, you would know that the Mountaineers are VERY fast. After watching the bowl games, we also saw that one of the biggest weaknesses for Big 10 teams was speed. Michigan may be the fastest team in the Big 10, but what other team on the Wolverines' schedule will be faster than ASU? UMass was an extremely fast team, but in the FCS title game, the Minutemen couldn't keep up with the Mountaineers. ASU may have a size disadvantage to a lot of teams, but the one thing the Mountaineers can do is run.

Yes they are fast, but Michgan will be faster, deeper, & more talented/athletic at most positions. Just like FCS is superior to DII, DII than DIII, and so on.

You ask,what other team on Michigan's schedule will be faster than ASU's? Try Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, in other words, just about their whole schedule

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Totally disagree on the speed factor (and you should know how fast App State is after watching the Mountaineers dismantle Youngstown State in the semifinals). Oregon is indeed fast, but all of those Big 10 teams have speed deficits to teams from the southeast. Speed is the emphasis in this area of the country for football. Michigan is one of the faster Big 10 teams, but if you lined up ASU's starters with Michigan's, you would be surprised with how close the Mountaineers would compete in that area. I'm not saying ASU would be stronger by any stretch, but the Mountaineers are one of the faster teams in Division I. One of the reasons ASU held up so well with LSU was because the Mountaineers could match LSU for speed. And there is a reason that ASU has won back-to-back titles. This team has better athletes than you are giving them credit for.

By the way, Wisconsin will be trading state secrets on Michigan and I hear that ASU already has a complete compliment of Wolverine tapes. Former ASU star RB and ex-assistant coach John Settle is the RB coach at Wisconsin.

P.S. Youngstown State played a very competitive game at Penn State last year and I'm hoping and expecting for the same in Columbus next season. Go Guins!

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Oh but hold on Mr. C. Don't you remember from his first post, Glenn's parents live only a mile from Kidd Brewer. That seals it for mexlolx
I wonder if you can climb on the roof of your house and watch the game from there?

GOTOREROS
February 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Wow! You App State fans must be stoked! Very cool, and awesome road trip!

BigApp
February 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
You guys are crazy. You watch too much I-AA football to have any sort of opinion when I plays I-AA.

Fella, you really should be ashamed of yourself for posting the following drivel on a Michigan message board under the guise of "Catmac":

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=39&tid=89827025&mid=89827025&sid=883&style=2

"It's an 8th home game, no biggie. Anyone that has season tix still gets Oregon, Notre Dame, OSU, PSU.

ASU are the 2-time defending I-AA Champs. And fans of that division have HUGE chip on their shoulder vs. Div. I. Don't believe me? Go visit anygivensaturday.com and check out the thread already started on this game. I actually hope Lloyd runs it up, and I am a Richmond grad that likes I-AA football, but realize it's defiencies.

So why is everyone so upset, I kinda like it and hope they pound the crap out of them."

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

BigApp
February 18th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I can't believe other Richmond fans haven't called this guy out yet.

spoogemcgee18
February 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
BANISH HIM!

Cleets
February 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Totally disagree on the speed factor (and you should know how fast App State is after watching the Mountaineers dismantle Youngstown State in the semifinals). Oregon is indeed fast, but all of those Big 10 teams have speed deficits to teams from the southeast.

Agreed,
Most scouts will tell you the same thing (as noted above)

Side Note:
(We all watched Florida run circles around Ohio State, a game that was not even competitive by my standards...)

Back on topic:
I would guess speed will be the thing Michigan emphasizes the least in their game plan...My guess would be "Power running" and "Pulling line men" on off tackle runs and power sweeps...

other than that, much like Auburn, it will be a 4th quater "who's not tired" kind of situation...

this game is really important for all of us...! (make a statement ASU)

-

Footix
February 18th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Although you make many valid points in this post, you make yourself sound like an ASU homer and less like an unbiased journalist. It's not your job to defend the program just cover it.

February 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Although you make many valid points in this post, you make yourself sound like an ASU homer and less like an unbiased journalist. It's not your job to defend the program just cover it.This is AGS, the national FCS boards site. There's nothing "unbiased" about the love our members have for the FCS. It's not our "job" to "defend" or "cover" it, we just like to. No one is an employee.

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 02:53 PM
This is AGS, the national FCS boards site. There's nothing "unbiased" about the love our members have for the FCS. It's not our "job" to "defend" or "cover" it, we just like to. No one is an employee.
:nod: :nod:

Footix
February 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
This is AGS, the national FCS boards site. There's nothing "unbiased" about the love our members have for the FCS. It's not our "job" to "defend" or "cover" it, we just like to. No one is an employee.

Good point, but if you are going to tell everybody that you are a journalist and a writer -- who should stand on unbiased ground -- then you can't take offense to my comments. I have no problem with him being an ASU fan. He can love the program all he wants. But if you are going to claim that your role as a journalist makes you an expert on something, then be ready for criticism when you sound like a homer.

Cleets
February 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Good point, but if you are going to tell everybody that you are a journalist and a writer -- who should stand on unbiased ground -- then you can't take offense to my comments. I have no problem with him being an ASU fan. He can love the program all he wants. But if you are going to claim that your role as a journalist makes you an expert on something, then be ready for criticism when you sound like a homer.

As much as I do enjoy Mr. C (because I do) you are making a valid point too...

Agreed, on App. State he's hardly neutral... but he does make great points, as you said as well

-

February 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM
... But if you are going to claim that your role as a journalist makes you an expert on something, then be ready for criticism when you sound like a homer.Well, I think most any FCS writer might have said the exact same thing. Are they all ASU homers? Mr. C can just throw a few more details into it because he is an experienced writer ans studys the games closely. I honestly read it and didn't think "homer" but I can see where some fans of a rival or opponent (like CCU) might not appreciate it. The point I was making about the employee is this is AGS, not CSN (where he is a leading national FCS columnist) or any other publication he writes for. :twocents:

February 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM
BTW, GlennGoBlue got his second strike on Discussion AND Smack last night!

BarefootApp
February 18th, 2007, 03:43 PM
As an ASU alum, I am excited about this game and I know that both ASU and YSU will rep the FCS well. Go get 'em, Apps!

Mountaineer
February 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Good. Considering he had nothing objective or constructive to say and he was just trolling. :nod:

proasu89
February 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Although you make many valid points in this post, you make yourself sound like an ASU homer and less like an unbiased journalist. It's not your job to defend the program just cover it.
I get the feeling Mr. C. is defending the FCS. APP just happens to be the team in question. If this was CCU (and w/ the same athletes) I believe he would put up the same argument:twocents:

griz37
February 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Are you announcing the strikes that everyone receives or just those that aren't rooting for App. St? :confused:

NDSUFREAK
February 18th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Well I personally dislike the fact that it is ASU vs Michigan. ASU is Arizona State. That is plain and simple. App State vs Michigan is a different and better.
btw, if Michigan wins so be it. If App State wins so be it. I wish App State good luck, but they won't be my favorite team that day.

February 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Are you announcing the strikes that everyone receives or just those that aren't rooting for App. St?:confused: This guy wrote me an email saying he got two strikes on the two boards. Sounds like you think I am an App St homer now! xlolx xlolx App St folks think I am anti-App! xlolx xlolx Some of these members just crack me up. :rotateh:

Thundar
February 18th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Good Luck App. Show'em the FCS can compete

February 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
... ASU is Arizona State. That is plain and simple... I wish App State good luck, but they won't be my favorite team that day.The FBS lovers are crawling out of the woodwork and showing their real colors! : smh :

griz37
February 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
:confused: This guy wrote me an email saying he got two strikes on the two boards. Sounds like you think I am an App St homer now! xlolx xlolx App St folks think I am anti-App! xlolx xlolx Some of these members just crack me up. :rotateh:

I know that in this case you are an App. St. homer, but thats fine because I know that will be the case anytime an FCS team plays a IA team. :thumbsup:

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM
They sure are, and i'm suprised. Who else will out themselves?

NDSUFREAK
February 18th, 2007, 08:06 PM
The FBS lovers are crawling out of the woodwork and showing their real colors! : smh :

I stand by who the real ASU is. I have followed Michigan also even before NDSU went DI. I have only heard of App State for 2 years now.

February 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I know that in this case you are an App. St. homer, but thats fine because I know that will be the case anytime an FCS team plays a IA team. :thumbsup:I think you have it right... I am not an ASU homer, I am an FCS one--AND PROUD OF IT! :nod:

February 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
... I have only heard of App State for 2 years now.extent of FCS knowledge noted... xcoffeex

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM
and written down

NDSUFREAK
February 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
extent of FCS knowledge noted... xcoffeex

Yeah, when all I followed was DII sports and (present name) FBS football. I knew of 1AA football but didnt follow it.

Keeper
February 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
There now you are learning even more about quality
college football, and aren't you the better for it??

There is a lot of good football you've been missin'

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Should this be moved to the smack board and let all parties involved just blast away?

It has moved so far from the topic and devolved into a thread about smack, I really doubt it contributes much to the game in question.:twocents:

NDSUFREAK
February 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
First of all let's get this straight. I said I have only heard of App State for 2 years now and I will say now that this isn't the only year that I have followed FCS. Those 2 years is when I was following FCS very closely. I have also previously said that I followed Michigan closely when NDSU was still DII.

February 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I stand by who the real ASU is...then your line starts here:
http://arizonastate.rivals.com

In the FCS ASU stands for Alabama State, Alcorn State or Appalachian State.

February 18th, 2007, 08:34 PM
ASU @ Michigan, let's get this party started and root for the FCS team!

griz37
February 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
ASU @ Michigan, let's get this party started and root for the FCS team!

Or if you are a Michigan fan, root for Michigan. :)

February 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Or if you are a Michigan fan, root for Michigan. :)Yeah, root for them somewhere else besides the national FCS board. xcoffeex

Keeper
February 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
SOMEBODY START A COUNTDOWN CLOCK

I CANT WAIT !!

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
So what part of what I wrote do you have a problem with? If you want to debate me, then point out some weaknesses in my arguments, so I can respond. Where specifically am I being a homer? Point it out, if you can. If someone starts taking pot shots at ANY FCS school, I'll point out where their arguments are wrong. I've done it many times with many schools. If you want to search the archives, you can find plenty of examples of me defending a variety of schools. Who better to present facts than someone who knows a program inside and out. If you have something of substance to criticize, give me your best shot. If you are just going to take a shot, then lrave it at that. The fact is there are FCS teams that can compete at the next level. It's been proven time and time again and the tired old arguments that they can't compete is garbage.

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM
First of all let's get this straight. I said I have only heard of App State for 2 years now and I will say now that this isn't the only year that I have followed FCS. Those 2 years is when I was following FCS very closely. I have also previously said that I followed Michigan closely when NDSU was still DII.
Just because you were clueless about a school doesn't mean others around here are. On the AGS board ASU refers to Appalachian State University or Alabama State University, NOT some school in Arizona. As a newby from Division II, be willing to let others around here take you under their wings and teach about the great thing that is FCS.

Appstate29
February 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Mr. C, any idea of when the student allotment of tickets will be going on sale?

Mr. C
February 18th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Haven't heard anything. Probably will be similar to what was done at NC State last year.

rudy1648
February 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
How many tickets did ASU get to the NC State game last year? Would think, with over 100k at Big House, we would get more than we got for State.

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 10:20 PM
How many tickets did ASU get to the NC State game last year? Would think, with over 100k at Big House, we would get more than we got for State.
Welcome to the boards.

This is from another thread and gives credit to the poster that said the comments. Enjoy.

1. Montana doesn't like Montana State
2. San Diego is overrated
3. NDSU should be #1 and got jobbed not being in the playoffs, in the minds of most posters not from NDSU
4. A player from Cal-Poly will win the Buchanan
spelunker64
5a.You left off the fact that you are considered a Homer is you think your team has a shot at winning a game!
BrevardMountaineer03
5b. The SoCon "is weak", and if you pick anyone other than App. St., Furman, and Wofford, to finish in the top 3 you are absolutely crazy!
BULLDOG8180
6. You'll love it when AZGrizFan posts anything since he has the best avatar on the board.
Cobblestone
7. Don't get involved in the GSU/BVG debate. No matter what you post, a GSU fan will promptly tell you your an idiot and lack the necessary information.
8. It'll take a while, but you will come to understand every word from Mr. Chicken.
9. San Diego would've beat Ohio State this year.
10. App State is "over-rated"
11. Use the correct terminology when referring to FCS. Ralph knows where you live.
12. Refer all sexual/moral questions to Cap'n Cat in the longue, he's our AGS resident Dear Abby.
13. Don't ever post in Crapsville before the season is officially over for ASU. If you've won the NC, don't post still because you'll jinx it for next year.
14. CatfishCCU is of unknown sexual orientation and very well might also be known as AppGuy.
15. The Furman posters on this board are generally pretty cool, do not confuse them with their purple companions on the UFFP.
16. Don't talk too much smack about WCU...their diehards are already probably contemplating suicide as it is.
17. We'll never live down "hot, hot, hot." Before every big game, expect our opposing team to bring it up like nobody has ever seen if before. Yes, we've explained that it wasn't meant for release or to be a recruitment video. No, they don't listen.
18. Montana cannot lose at Wa-Griz, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
19. Don't get in the middle of a D1B/Cap'n Cat/UNH Wildcats vs. Baldy/AZGrizFan political battle unless you have approximately 36-48 continuous hours available to argue over pointless details.
20. If a team starts unexpectedly having a great season, expect their posters to multiply 1000x over (*ahem* San Diego).
21. Please don't criticize another poster for their lack of spelling. Sometimes you just want to get you point across, not turn in a freakin' spellproofed essay.
22. Cap'n Cat bribes the girls in his pictures to appear with him, don't let him tell you otherwise.
23. Anybody on here with over 3,000 posts officially has no life (I'm getting close, I know).
24. IGO4UNI is ALWAYS drinking, feel no obligation to crack one open just to post on his drinking threads, another opportunity shall come usually within 12-14 hours.
25. Don't tell Cap'n Cat you live near some good fishing spots unless your sure you're cool with a HUGE dude crashing on your couch for a few days/months.
26. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to fellow AGS'ers at a tailgate. Although perhaps somewhat awkward at first, we're all usually hammered anyway.
27. App fans are despicable, vile pieces of trash to all opposing teams' fans following their visit and loss at KBS. Accept this as the price of success.
28. Dave Coulson is a through-and-through App homer. Don't let his extensive knowledge of all FCS teams and usually correct predictions fool you.
29. D1B did NOT in fact play for Liberty University as he is actually the anti-Christ.
30. Thou shalt be liked more around AGS if you change your avatar to a pic of a smokin' hot chick.
31. Prognosticating and arguing about who's gonna win on AGS is to many more fun than the actual game.
32. If thou talketh smack and thou team loseth, taketh not a few weeks off AGS in hopes that we'll forget. Cometh back over and eat thou crow. We have long memories, anyway.
33. Honestly, the east-coast-bias thing is just stupid.
34. Thou shalt not post naked pictures on the bikini thread.
35. Arguing about whether or not is colder in one FCS city versus another and what sort of advantage that gives is stupid, do not partake.
36. If an AGS fans' team is losing, chances are great it's the fault of the playcalling and coaching. If they ran the team, things would be going a lot better.
ASU Kep
37)Great West is best.....if only this year.....and if counting only non-play-off wins
Rabit Rabbit
38) Bison95 is married and therefore hasn't had sex in a long time...he requires that he lives vicariously through you.
39) UNHWildCats has a thing for Asians...
40) Mods are your freinds here....respect them
41) Any pictures of hot women that you come across or hilarious videos you are OBLIGATED to post them here...
42) Once again, CatfishCCU's sexual orientation is heterosexual and Sticky Bunz is just a nickname
CatfishCCU
43) Every FCS conference has the worst referees in the world!
Ohio Hen
44) If you have a teen age daughter, do not take her anywhere near a Northern Iowa game.
45) If have a teenage asian son, don't take him anywhere near a New Hampshire game
46) If you think you know everything, you must be a Delaware fan
47) Don't be too impressed when it looks like Delaware fans always monopolize the top ten of any contest held by or sponsored by AGS. 90% of all AGS members are Delaware Fans. Also as bad as UD has been over the last few years, they have plenty of time to trivialize
48) Contrary to any denials you have heard in this or other threads, Catfish CCU and AppGuy04 are the same person. However, AppGuy is really straight
49) Contrary to any denials you have heard in this or other threads, billk and gannonfan are the same person
50) I am, and you will be too, amazed at all the absolutely useless information known by 89hen
OL FU
51. The BSC is overrated---especially according to Hens fans.
AZGrizFan

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
52. bobbythekidd is a tool

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Good thing you deleted that, citdog. It is noted.

AggiePride
February 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM
What thread was that from?

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 10:39 PM
What thread was that from?
I believe it was from a thread welcoming Mountain Man.
I know it was an APP person. I will try to find it.

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18295

This is it.

Cleets
February 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Welcome to the boards.

This is from another thread and gives credit to the poster that said the comments. Enjoy.

1. Montana doesn't like Montana State
2. San Diego is overrated
3. NDSU should be #1 and got jobbed not being in the playoffs, in the minds of most posters not from NDSU
4. A player from Cal-Poly will win the Buchanan
spelunker64
5a.You left off the fact that you are considered a Homer is you think your team has a shot at winning a game!
BrevardMountaineer03
5b. The SoCon "is weak", and if you pick anyone other than App. St., Furman, and Wofford, to finish in the top 3 you are absolutely crazy!
BULLDOG8180
6. You'll love it when AZGrizFan posts anything since he has the best avatar on the board.
Cobblestone
7. Don't get involved in the GSU/BVG debate. No matter what you post, a GSU fan will promptly tell you your an idiot and lack the necessary information.
8. It'll take a while, but you will come to understand every word from Mr. Chicken.
9. San Diego would've beat Ohio State this year.
10. App State is "over-rated"
11. Use the correct terminology when referring to FCS. Ralph knows where you live.
12. Refer all sexual/moral questions to Cap'n Cat in the longue, he's our AGS resident Dear Abby.
13. Don't ever post in Crapsville before the season is officially over for ASU. If you've won the NC, don't post still because you'll jinx it for next year.
14. CatfishCCU is of unknown sexual orientation and very well might also be known as AppGuy.
15. The Furman posters on this board are generally pretty cool, do not confuse them with their purple companions on the UFFP.
16. Don't talk too much smack about WCU...their diehards are already probably contemplating suicide as it is.
17. We'll never live down "hot, hot, hot." Before every big game, expect our opposing team to bring it up like nobody has ever seen if before. Yes, we've explained that it wasn't meant for release or to be a recruitment video. No, they don't listen.
18. Montana cannot lose at Wa-Griz, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
19. Don't get in the middle of a D1B/Cap'n Cat/UNH Wildcats vs. Baldy/AZGrizFan political battle unless you have approximately 36-48 continuous hours available to argue over pointless details.
20. If a team starts unexpectedly having a great season, expect their posters to multiply 1000x over (*ahem* San Diego).
21. Please don't criticize another poster for their lack of spelling. Sometimes you just want to get you point across, not turn in a freakin' spellproofed essay.
22. Cap'n Cat bribes the girls in his pictures to appear with him, don't let him tell you otherwise.
23. Anybody on here with over 3,000 posts officially has no life (I'm getting close, I know).
24. IGO4UNI is ALWAYS drinking, feel no obligation to crack one open just to post on his drinking threads, another opportunity shall come usually within 12-14 hours.
25. Don't tell Cap'n Cat you live near some good fishing spots unless your sure you're cool with a HUGE dude crashing on your couch for a few days/months.
26. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to fellow AGS'ers at a tailgate. Although perhaps somewhat awkward at first, we're all usually hammered anyway.
27. App fans are despicable, vile pieces of trash to all opposing teams' fans following their visit and loss at KBS. Accept this as the price of success.
28. Dave Coulson is a through-and-through App homer. Don't let his extensive knowledge of all FCS teams and usually correct predictions fool you.
29. D1B did NOT in fact play for Liberty University as he is actually the anti-Christ.
30. Thou shalt be liked more around AGS if you change your avatar to a pic of a smokin' hot chick.
31. Prognosticating and arguing about who's gonna win on AGS is to many more fun than the actual game.
32. If thou talketh smack and thou team loseth, taketh not a few weeks off AGS in hopes that we'll forget. Cometh back over and eat thou crow. We have long memories, anyway.
33. Honestly, the east-coast-bias thing is just stupid.
34. Thou shalt not post naked pictures on the bikini thread.
35. Arguing about whether or not is colder in one FCS city versus another and what sort of advantage that gives is stupid, do not partake.
36. If an AGS fans' team is losing, chances are great it's the fault of the playcalling and coaching. If they ran the team, things would be going a lot better.
ASU Kep
37)Great West is best.....if only this year.....and if counting only non-play-off wins
Rabit Rabbit
38) Bison95 is married and therefore hasn't had sex in a long time...he requires that he lives vicariously through you.
39) UNHWildCats has a thing for Asians...
40) Mods are your freinds here....respect them
41) Any pictures of hot women that you come across or hilarious videos you are OBLIGATED to post them here...
42) Once again, CatfishCCU's sexual orientation is heterosexual and Sticky Bunz is just a nickname
CatfishCCU
43) Every FCS conference has the worst referees in the world!
Ohio Hen
44) If you have a teen age daughter, do not take her anywhere near a Northern Iowa game.
45) If have a teenage asian son, don't take him anywhere near a New Hampshire game
46) If you think you know everything, you must be a Delaware fan
47) Don't be too impressed when it looks like Delaware fans always monopolize the top ten of any contest held by or sponsored by AGS. 90% of all AGS members are Delaware Fans. Also as bad as UD has been over the last few years, they have plenty of time to trivialize
48) Contrary to any denials you have heard in this or other threads, Catfish CCU and AppGuy04 are the same person. However, AppGuy is really straight
49) Contrary to any denials you have heard in this or other threads, billk and gannonfan are the same person
50) I am, and you will be too, amazed at all the absolutely useless information known by 89hen
OL FU
51. The BSC is overrated---especially according to Hens fans.
AZGrizFan

I'm printing this right now..... (i'm not kidding)

-

Gil Dobie
February 18th, 2007, 10:55 PM
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=23758

Following is Michigan's 2007 football schedule:

Sept. 1 Appalachian State
Sept. 8 Oregon
Sept. 15 Notre Dame
Sept. 22 Penn State*
Sept. 29 at Northwestern*
Oct. 6 Eastern Michigan
Oct. 20 at Illinois*
Oct. 27 Minnesota*
Nov. 10 at Wisconsin*
Nov. 17 Ohio State*

App St by 3 :thumbsup:

NDSUFREAK
February 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I feel like a lone wolf on the prairie..:bawling: :bawling:
(maybe i should just get off AGS for a week like the rules say to see if this thing brushes off.:smiley_wi ) Btw, I have close ties with ASU and that is why I call Arizona State the real ASU. My whole family has gone there.

SoCon48
February 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I stand by who the real ASU is. I have followed Michigan also even before NDSU went DI. I have only heard of App State for 2 years now.

Let's just hope other NDSU fans are more knowledgeable about the FCS than you.:rolleyes:

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I feel like a lone wolf on the prairie..:bawling: :bawling:
(maybe i should just get off AGS for a week like the rules say to see if this thing brushes off.:smiley_wi ) Btw, I have close ties with ASU and that is why I call Arizona State the real ASU. My whole family has gone there.
Well, just chalk it down to opening your eyes to the full FCS experience! Now you'll have to keep all the ASUs in your head and try to figure out which one we're talking about!

SoCon48
February 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well, just chalk it down to opening your eyes to the full FCS experience! Now you'll have to keep all the ASUs in your head and try to figure out which one we're talking about!
Who is NDSU?:rolleyes:

NDSUFREAK
February 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Whis is NDSU?:rolleyes:

Notre Dame State University.........:p

rudy1648
February 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Depending on whether you are on right or left coast,,,USC could be South Carolina or Southen Cal.

Block-A
February 19th, 2007, 06:05 PM
http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2007/02/19/Football/Scott.Bell.12th.Game.Leaves.Sour.Taste.For.07.Seas on-2727812.shtml

"Winning a national title in Division I-AA is kind of like beating your not-so-ripped, not-so-athletic younger brother in an arm wrestling match. Sure, it's cool, but it's probably not something you'd use as a line to pick up a girl."

"But still, Appalachian State? Did we lose a bet?

It sucks, plain and simple. Even though the three games following the home-opener against the Mountaineers will be matchups against Oregon, Notre Dame and Penn State - all quality opponents - Michigan fans will still have to live with the fact that for the next six-and-a-half months, the "next opponent" portion of most fan sites will be graced with those dreaded 16 letters:

A-P-P-A-L-A-C-H-I-A-N-S-T-A-T-E."

"For a football team stacked with senior power and poised to make a run at the BCS Championship Game, jumpstarting your Road to New Orleans Tour against a school the size of my poli sci lecture is a joke.

Blame it on the NCAA, blame it on Martin, blame it on not wanting to lose early. No matter what excuse you hear, there shouldn't be one.

And there shouldn't be excitement for a season-opening 52-3 win against an undersized, outmanned and awestruck team just happy to be beaten in the Big House.

- Despite his whining, Bell is still excited for the 2007 season. He's just going to pretend it starts on Sept. 8 and not Sept. 1."

bobbythekidd
February 19th, 2007, 06:15 PM
http://media.www.michigandaily.com/media/storage/paper851/news/2007/02/19/Football/Scott.Bell.12th.Game.Leaves.Sour.Taste.For.07.Seas on-2727812.shtml

"Winning a national title in Division I-AA is kind of like beating your not-so-ripped, not-so-athletic younger brother in an arm wrestling match. Sure, it's cool, but it's probably not something you'd use as a line to pick up a girl."

It sucks, plain and simple. Even though the three games following the home-opener against the Mountaineers will be matchups against Oregon, Notre Dame and Penn State - all quality opponents - Michigan fans will still have to live with the fact that for the next six-and-a-half months, the "next opponent" portion of most fan sites will be graced with those dreaded 16 letters:

"For a football team stacked with senior power and poised to make a run at the BCS Championship Game, jumpstarting your Road to New Orleans Tour against a school the size of my poli sci lecture is a joke.

Blame it on the NCAA, blame it on Martin, blame it on not wanting to lose early. No matter what excuse you hear, there shouldn't be one.

And there shouldn't be excitement for a season-opening 52-3 win against an undersized, outmanned and awestruck team just happy to be beaten in the Big House.

- Despite his whining, Bell is still excited for the 2007 season. He's just going to pretend it starts on Sept. 8 and not Sept. 1."
Just in case you want to drop the author a line, [email protected].

Mountaineer
February 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Can't do it. My email would like this:

&&&$%$%#$@&#*&*#%$#%# #$#^# #^#&#$#$# *%&$^#@%&$# $%$ $%&^## #$#^@@^&#%

Sincerely you ^&%$*#($&$^#(
-Mountaineer

:p :D

GGASU
February 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM

What a tool :nono:

One positive thing is that he gave ASU great bulletin board material.

I had to send him a line.

Peems
February 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
he's not even clever enough to know anything about ASU or that its now called FCS and FBS and that we are all D1

proasu89
February 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM

They are acting like they invented this freakin game. Whatever, OSU it is from now own:smiley_wi BTW, I sure hope that our BB ball team makes the big dance, but wouldn't it be ironic if Tommy Amaker's piece of crap team got introduced to ASU in the NIT:thumbsup:

spoogemcgee18
February 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
So they're gonna make it like that huh?

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I just let that guy hear it

AggiePride
February 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Wow, I really read this thread and checked out the Michigan board for the first time.

They are primed for it, make them remember.

Sad that they really do not understand how many good football players are out there, and not everyone of them has 4 stars or starts to peak as a senior in H.S.

'neers79
February 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
I understand being a Michigan fan, but how can you not pull for the FCS team? When Furman was playing UNC last year, I was pulling for FU. It pains me to do that, but I think we should always want our FCS teams to beat the FBS, no matter who it is. I mean, i'm a NSCU fan, but I'll go for any FCS team over them, any time. Did I say FCS enough about the FCS now.

back2back
February 20th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I dropped Scott an email, do you think he will return it? I just gave him some information about ASU and the FCS and advised him to do some research before he writes.

WUTNDITWAA
February 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
He'll land a job on Around the Horn soon enough. He has the qualifications:

1. Form an opinion.
2. Disregard facts.
3. State formed opinion as loudly or as obnoxiously as possible.

I wouldn't worry about feedback. You're not going to prove him wrong or educate him. About the only thing you'll do is provide him with more fodder for the next column (which would be rather thin-skinned IMO).:read:

Appstate29
February 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM

I'd like to see a real journalist ala Mr.C respond to this drivel. BTW his App Envy is showing loud and clear.:p

AgentPaul001
February 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Seriously some of these BCS schools deserve a slap in the face. The Top FCS teams could compete with most of the FCS teams any day of the week.

By bashing the #1 team in FCS they're in effect bashing all FCS teams.

MYTAPPY
February 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Mr. C.......sick em!!:argue:

CharlestonAppFan
February 20th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I don't know who this "Pigskin Steve" is but he made a great comeback to a poster that I found hillarious xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

http://michigan.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=39&mid=89770593&sid=883&tid=89768787&style=1

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AppAlum2003
February 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM
http://umgoblue.com/absolutenm/templates/?a=290&z=1

This was posted yesterday by a UMgoblue "contributor." The author was a little nicer; actually gave our boys a LITTLE respect.

T-Dog
February 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
My reply. Thumbs up?

In regards to your column "12th game leaves sour taste for '07 season", you have several factual inaacuracies.

You mention us (App State) as a non D-I school and that is not the case. Also, I-AA is no longer the term. It is now FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). Also, we are a proud university of 15,000 nestled in the mountains of North Carolina. We came within :30 of winning @ Auburn in 1999 and played four hard quarters and held LSU to 10 points for three and a half of them in front of 91,000 so big environments don‘t phase us as much as you think we do. And defending ACC Champions Wake Forest don’t schedule us anymore because we beat them routinely. We know we are just as good if not better than the MAC teams you routinely schedule but just because there in the "Bowl Subdivision" and compete to play in a dot com bowl in an empty stadium. We play in front of packed houses everywhere we go. Not the numbers you play in front of but respectable in our own right. In several power rankings, App finished ahead of several of the MAC schools you schedule as your “cupcakes”. I’m sure if the UM football team takes App as seriously as you do, we will see the greatest upset in college football history.

The sad part is that several UM fans have come over to our message boards and such and had great conversation with us. They aren’t exactly thrilled with playing a FCS school but they accept it and have welcomed up with open arms and have given us advice about tailgating on game day. I know several of the UM fans echo your sentiments but at least you could show some proof of study in your article.

I am proud to be a Mountaineer. I am proud we are two-time defending FCS National Champions (and that we won them both in a playoff, which you might have benefited from last year instead of not making the BCS Title game due to computers) and I know several thousand other people who are proud to be Mountaineers. I’m sure if you did your research like a responsible journalist should do, you would at least get your facts right in your article.

If you want to bash us, bash us with facts, not coffee talk.

And I really want Chancellor Peacock to respond publically to this.

spoogemcgee18
February 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I say let them write whatever they want. Our play on the field will speak for itself. I would prefer to remain quiet about all the bashing and come completely outta nowhere on Sept. 1st.

GoGuins
February 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://umgoblue.com/absolutenm/templates/?a=290&z=1

This was posted yesterday by a UMgoblue "contributor." The author was a little nicer; actually gave our boys a LITTLE respect.

I'm a regular poster over there, that contributor is only in 8th grade and one of the moderators of the boards

BTW, here's some videos I've taken with my digital camera at some games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRr-45LmX3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYI1SIRSErQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tT1Tl5WRGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIwuzbvvUt0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vNRsjG3HQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J61--qUeZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weoLGvtwpHA

scotteb
February 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Mountaineer fans,

I'm Scott, the evil poster of the original column from Michigan's student newspaper. I figured I'd start off by apologizing for not replying to your e-mails individually. I try and do that to every e-mail following a column, but the combination of the pure volume of e-mails I got following this column and this being exam week at Michigan has made that task a little more difficult than usual. Hopefully this will suffice for now.

My column wasn't meant to be a pot shot at your school. I certainly understand the uproar it's caused — to some extent. Calling you a D-1AA school is incorrect and came off how I didn't mean it to. Our release we were given following the announcement of the game explained that everyone is now D-1, and that there's just different classifications. I should have explained it, but being limited to under a page to write a column arguing why I didn't like our schedule choice, I figured I'd keep the history to a mininum. I wanted to get across that you were a smaller school, but also not a horrible smaller school, and by saying you were a D-IAA two-time defending champ, I figured it accomplished both.

Many of you who took the time to e-mail me pointed out some excellent points, but I'm also not backing down from my stance that I don't think it will be a close game. I think a lot of you took my 52-3 as a literal prediction, and though it could turn into a blowout, I certainly wasn't use this tongue-in-cheek column as a means to break down the matchup and make an actual prediction. Do I think Michigan will win? Of course. Do I think it will be a snoozefest by the second quarter? Probably not, but there is that chance. As nearly everyone has pointed out, you played both Auburn and LSU close (at least for a while) in recent years. While that's impressive, I do think it kind of proves my point that many of your fans are satisfied with just being close. There's nothing wrong with that — you're a smaller school with smaller resources, and what you've done in the past few years in your repsective conference and Division is impressive — but when a team is competing for a D-I National Title, scheduling a non-BCS opponent in your non-conference schedule isn't a good idea.

I hope this clears things up, at least a bit. I may stop by in the next few days and address stuff/defend whatever gets discected and ripped from this post, but as I said earlier, it's exam week at my school and I'm pretty pressed for time. I appreciate the feedback I got from the column, even though most were just people calling me a hack or a moron, but it's great to see people care this much about college football.

I hope the Mountaineers go 11-1 next year, and I sincerely mean that :)

Best,
Scott

proasu89
February 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Mountaineer fans,

I'm Scott, the evil poster of the original column from Michigan's student newspaper. I figured I'd start off by apologizing for not replying to your e-mails individually. I try and do that to every e-mail following a column, but the combination of the pure volume of e-mails I got following this column and this being exam week at Michigan has made that task a little more difficult than usual. Hopefully this will suffice for now.

My column wasn't meant to be a pot shot at your school. I certainly understand the uproar it's caused — to some extent. Calling you a D-1AA school is incorrect and came off how I didn't mean it to. Our release we were given following the announcement of the game explained that everyone is now D-1, and that there's just different classifications. I should have explained it, but being limited to under a page to write a column arguing why I didn't like our schedule choice, I figured I'd keep the history to a mininum. I wanted to get across that you were a smaller school, but also not a horrible smaller school, and by saying you were a D-IAA two-time defending champ, I figured it accomplished both.

Many of you who took the time to e-mail me pointed out some excellent points, but I'm also not backing down from my stance that I don't think it will be a close game. I think a lot of you took my 52-3 as a literal prediction, and though it could turn into a blowout, I certainly wasn't use this tongue-in-cheek column as a means to break down the matchup and make an actual prediction. Do I think Michigan will win? Of course. Do I think it will be a snoozefest by the second quarter? Probably not, but there is that chance. As nearly everyone has pointed out, you played both Auburn and LSU close (at least for a while) in recent years. While that's impressive, I do think it kind of proves my point that many of your fans are satisfied with just being close. There's nothing wrong with that — you're a smaller school with smaller resources, and what you've done in the past few years in your repsective conference and Division is impressive — but when a team is competing for a D-I National Title, scheduling a non-BCS opponent in your non-conference schedule isn't a good idea.

I hope this clears things up, at least a bit. I may stop by in the next few days and address stuff/defend whatever gets discected and ripped from this post, but as I said earlier, it's exam week at my school and I'm pretty pressed for time. I appreciate the feedback I got from the column, even though most were just people calling me a hack or a moron, but it's great to see people care this much about college football.

Best,
Scott

I'd rather go 14-1:smiley_wi

scotteb
February 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, you weirdos have this thing called a "playoff." Crazy concept, heh.

bobbythekidd
February 20th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Mountaineer fans,

Best,
Scott
Scott, I admire you for posting you thoughts, and backing up you article, I will warn you that it is full of holes and you will be picked apart by the FCS faithful.:twocents:

I chose not to be a party to it, but it will happen.

Bravo, for posting here!:thumbsup:

I will even give you your first rep points.

Block-A
February 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM
"Bravo, for posting here!"

Yes, welcome to AGS, scotteb. Thanks for joining and thanks for your reply. Hopefully, you will visit often.

mistersykes
February 20th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, you weirdos have this thing called a "playoff." Crazy concept, heh.

Yeah, wish you guys had one, too. Playoff games are so fun.

Stay around a while. Maybe you'll learn some things from us. We love football and know a heck of a lot about it.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'd like to see a real journalist ala Mr.C respond to this drivel. BTW his App Envy is showing loud and clear.:p
Well, this is what Mr. C wrote our young, intrepid columnist:

So Scott, did you bother with ANY research before your wrote your column on Monday? Some other people told me about what you had written and provided me with a link and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with what I saw. If this is what we can expect from our next generation of journalist, our profession is in serious trouble.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I have covered college football for 30 years. I am currently a free-lance writer breaking into the book-writing business and working as the senior columnist for a prominent college football web site, the College Sporting News. I also have been a frequent contributor for the CSTV web site. I've also worked at my share of newspapers for years, including a two-year stint at the Los Angeles Times. I have covered teams like USC, UCLA, Fresno State (my alma mater) and even Michigan in the past, but for the past 15 years, I've been one of the beat writers covering Appalachian State University. I've seen a lot of football in 30 years and I'll stack up my knowledge of the college game with anyone.

It is so easy to have an emotional response to a subject when you are writing a column. But a lot of times, when you dig a little deeper, you will uncover facts that may change your viewpoint. What do you truly know about Appalachian State? Other than getting it right that ASU had won the past two NCAA championships, your column doesn't show that you did any research on your subject at all. If you had done your homework, you would have found that ASU has a very proud football tradition. Did you know that Texas coach Mack Brown got his head coaching start at ASU? Did you know that Fisher DeBerry of Air Force got his start as the ASU offensive coordinator? Did you know that ASU has produced a number of NFL players over the years, including St. Louis Rams linebacker Dexter Coakley and former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Dino Hackett, both three-time Pro Bowlers. About a half a dozen ASU players from the 2006 championship team will be in camps with NFL teams this summer and an equal number of current players will take that route in the future. Offensive guard Kerry Brown is expected to be a first-day NFL draft choice in 2008 from the scouts I've talked to and should develop into a future NFL star. Free safety Corey Lynch is one of the top defensive backs at any level in college football right now. Running back Kevin Richardson came to ASU as a walk-on and scored an NCAA-record 31 touchdowns last season. Quarterback Armanti Edwards came in as a true freshman and led the defending national champions to another title, becoming only the second freshman QB to ever start a title game (New York Jets starter Chad Pennington was the only other one) and the first to win a championship. Edwards, who has to be seen to be truly appreciated, was the sixth quarterback in NCAA history to pass for more than 2,000 yards and rush for more than 1,000 yards in a single season. Among the names on that list was Vince Young of Texas. Edwards was just the second freshman to do this, joining Missouri's Brad Smith. Edwards is one of the quickest players in college football and you will see just how good he is, if you attend the game on Sept. 1. Appalachian State was a team capable of beating probably half of the teams in what was I-A last season. If you don't believe that assessment, just study some of the computer rankings from last season. Coach Jerry Moore, whose background includes working as an assistant with Hayden Fry at SMU, serving as Tom Osborne's offensive coordinator at Nebraska, serving as Ken Hatfield's recruiting coordinator at Arkansas and head coaching stints at North Texas and Texas Tech, is one of the most respected coaches in the country. Moore, an 18-year veteran at ASU, is the two-time AFCA coach of the year and swept coach of the year honors for the FCS this season, including the prestigious Eddie Robinson Award.

That brings me to my biggest pet peeve with your column. If Appalachian State isn't a Division I program, just what is it? If you are going to cover college football, get a clue about how the NCAA works. If you are a Division I team, you are a Division I team in ALL sports. In 1978, the NCAA broke DIvision I football into two parts, I-A and I-AA. The major difference between the two is that I-A teams were allowed 85 scholarships, while the I-AA teams were limited to 63 as a way of cost containment. The NCAA also set up a playoff system that allowed the I-AA teams to actually compete for a TRUE national championship. ASU is a proud member of the Southern Conference, one of the oldest conferences in college athletics and the is the parent of both the SEC and the ACC. The SoCon is basically the top-notch conference in its subdivision and has produced six national championship teams and 11 finalists since 1991. The reason that the NCAA changed the I-A and I-AA names is because folks like you never could figure things out. I-A and I-AA were both Division I schools. Some lame brains actually wrote that schools like ASU were DIvision I-AA in sports like basketball. So now we have the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Football Championship Subdivision and still we have writers like you that don't have a clue that Appalachian State is a DIVISION I football team.

This line from your column was particularly gauling: "Winning a national title in Division I-AA is kind of like beating your not-so-ripped, not-so-athletic younger brother in an arm wrestling match. Sure, it's cool, but it's probably not something you'd use as a line to pick up a girl." I guess if you had been there and seen the excitement these kids and their teams showed in winning the past two titles, you might have had a different view. That was really a dumb line and quite a cheap shot. DId you bother watching either of those championship games on ESPN2? By the way, no other school in North Carolina, not UNC, Duke, North Carolina State, or any other school has ever won an NCAA title in football. If you lived around here, you see just how big a deal was.

If you had done some homework, you would have discovered that Appalachian State gave LSU a very competitive battle in 2005. The Mountaineers trailed 14-0 after three quarters, but only a couple of fluke plays kept it from being 14-all headed to the fourth quarter. LSU, which was ranked No. 3 in the BCS at the time and a team that beat top-10-ranked Alabama a week later, wore ASU down in the fourth quarter for a 24-0 win, but anyone who was there (just ask the journalists that attended) would tell you that LSU was seriously challenged. LSU was so impressed with ASU that the Tigers scheduled a second game with the Mountaineers that was suppose to be the season opener in 2007. The only reason ASU was free to play Michigan was that ESPN and the SEC forced LSU to make a change for TV purposes. The game will now be played in 2009 instead. ASU also has future games scheduled with Florida, Viriginia Tech and Georgia. A lot of schools like North Carolina and Wake Forest wouldn't touch ASU with a 10-foot pole, because of the fear of losing to this quality program. I covered another game in 1999 when ASU was only beaten 22-15 by a long pass in the final seconds at Auburn.

Some additional facts, USC — the team that thumped your Wolverines in the Rose Bowl in January — currently has the longest home winning streak in Division I. Standing second on that list is Appalachian State, with 28 straight wins at Kidd Brewer Stadium. The senior class that just graduated NEVER lost a single game at home in their college careers. ASU also has the longest current win streak in Division I with 14 consecutive victories. The Mountaineers run the no huddle spread offense that has brought Florida and West Virginia to prominence and has won EVERY national championship at EVERY NCAA level in the past two years. You can make your 52-3 prediction, but just be prepared for a much closer game than you would dream possible. I'm not saying Appalachian State is going to win, but the Mountaineers will give Michigan everything they want.

Your column came across as arrogant, condescending and lacking in factual base and it is really disappointing to see such a piece in a major college newspaper. Hopefully you will learn from your mistakes and do a better job the next time you write on a subject like this.

scotteb
February 21st, 2007, 12:32 AM
Well, this is what Mr. C wrote our young, intrepid columnist:

So Scott, did you bother with ANY research before your wrote your column on Monday? Some other people told me about what you had written and provided me with a link and quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with what I saw. If this is what we can expect from our next generation of journalist, our profession is in serious trouble.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I have covered college football for 30 years. I am currently a free-lance writer breaking into the book-writing business and working as the senior columnist for a prominent college football web site, the College Sporting News. I also have been a frequent contributor for the CSTV web site. I've also worked at my share of newspapers for years, including a two-year stint at the Los Angeles Times. I have covered teams like USC, UCLA, Fresno State (my alma mater) and even Michigan in the past, but for the past 15 years, I've been one of the beat writers covering Appalachian State University. I've seen a lot of football in 30 years and I'll stack up my knowledge of the college game with anyone.

It is so easy to have an emotional response to a subject when you are writing a column. But a lot of times, when you dig a little deeper, you will uncover facts that may change your viewpoint. What do you truly know about Appalachian State? Other than getting it right that ASU had won the past two NCAA championships, your column doesn't show that you did any research on your subject at all. If you had done your homework, you would have found that ASU has a very proud football tradition. Did you know that Texas coach Mack Brown got his head coaching start at ASU? Did you know that Fisher DeBerry of Air Force got his start as the ASU offensive coordinator? Did you know that ASU has produced a number of NFL players over the years, including St. Louis Rams linebacker Dexter Coakley and former Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Dino Hackett, both three-time Pro Bowlers. About a half a dozen ASU players from the 2006 championship team will be in camps with NFL teams this summer and an equal number of current players will take that route in the future. Offensive guard Kerry Brown is expected to be a first-day NFL draft choice in 2008 from the scouts I've talked to and should develop into a future NFL star. Free safety Corey Lynch is one of the top defensive backs at any level in college football right now. Running back Kevin Richardson came to ASU as a walk-on and scored an NCAA-record 31 touchdowns last season. Quarterback Armanti Edwards came in as a true freshman and led the defending national champions to another title, becoming only the second freshman QB to ever start a title game (New York Jets starter Chad Pennington was the only other one) and the first to win a championship. Edwards, who has to be seen to be truly appreciated, was the sixth quarterback in NCAA history to pass for more than 2,000 yards and rush for more than 1,000 yards in a single season. Among the names on that list was Vince Young of Texas. Edwards was just the second freshman to do this, joining Missouri's Brad Smith. Edwards is one of the quickest players in college football and you will see just how good he is, if you attend the game on Sept. 1. Appalachian State was a team capable of beating probably half of the teams in what was I-A last season. If you don't believe that assessment, just study some of the computer rankings from last season. Coach Jerry Moore, whose background includes working as an assistant with Hayden Fry at SMU, serving as Tom Osborne's offensive coordinator at Nebraska, serving as Ken Hatfield's recruiting coordinator at Arkansas and head coaching stints at North Texas and Texas Tech, is one of the most respected coaches in the country. Moore, an 18-year veteran at ASU, is the two-time AFCA coach of the year and swept coach of the year honors for the FCS this season, including the prestigious Eddie Robinson Award.

That brings me to my biggest pet peeve with your column. If Appalachian State isn't a Division I program, just what is it? If you are going to cover college football, get a clue about how the NCAA works. If you are a Division I team, you are a Division I team in ALL sports. In 1978, the NCAA broke DIvision I football into two parts, I-A and I-AA. The major difference between the two is that I-A teams were allowed 85 scholarships, while the I-AA teams were limited to 63 as a way of cost containment. The NCAA also set up a playoff system that allowed the I-AA teams to actually compete for a TRUE national championship. ASU is a proud member of the Southern Conference, one of the oldest conferences in college athletics and the is the parent of both the SEC and the ACC. The SoCon is basically the top-notch conference in its subdivision and has produced six national championship teams and 11 finalists since 1991. The reason that the NCAA changed the I-A and I-AA names is because folks like you never could figure things out. I-A and I-AA were both Division I schools. Some lame brains actually wrote that schools like ASU were DIvision I-AA in sports like basketball. So now we have the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Football Championship Subdivision and still we have writers like you that don't have a clue that Appalachian State is a DIVISION I football team.

This line from your column was particularly gauling: "Winning a national title in Division I-AA is kind of like beating your not-so-ripped, not-so-athletic younger brother in an arm wrestling match. Sure, it's cool, but it's probably not something you'd use as a line to pick up a girl." I guess if you had been there and seen the excitement these kids and their teams showed in winning the past two titles, you might have had a different view. That was really a dumb line and quite a cheap shot. DId you bother watching either of those championship games on ESPN2? By the way, no other school in North Carolina, not UNC, Duke, North Carolina State, or any other school has ever won an NCAA title in football. If you lived around here, you see just how big a deal was.

If you had done some homework, you would have discovered that Appalachian State gave LSU a very competitive battle in 2005. The Mountaineers trailed 14-0 after three quarters, but only a couple of fluke plays kept it from being 14-all headed to the fourth quarter. LSU, which was ranked No. 3 in the BCS at the time and a team that beat top-10-ranked Alabama a week later, wore ASU down in the fourth quarter for a 24-0 win, but anyone who was there (just ask the journalists that attended) would tell you that LSU was seriously challenged. LSU was so impressed with ASU that the Tigers scheduled a second game with the Mountaineers that was suppose to be the season opener in 2007. The only reason ASU was free to play Michigan was that ESPN and the SEC forced LSU to make a change for TV purposes. The game will now be played in 2009 instead. ASU also has future games scheduled with Florida, Viriginia Tech and Georgia. A lot of schools like North Carolina and Wake Forest wouldn't touch ASU with a 10-foot pole, because of the fear of losing to this quality program. I covered another game in 1999 when ASU was only beaten 22-15 by a long pass in the final seconds at Auburn.

Some additional facts, USC — the team that thumped your Wolverines in the Rose Bowl in January — currently has the longest home winning streak in Division I. Standing second on that list is Appalachian State, with 28 straight wins at Kidd Brewer Stadium. The senior class that just graduated NEVER lost a single game at home in their college careers. ASU also has the longest current win streak in Division I with 14 consecutive victories. The Mountaineers run the no huddle spread offense that has brought Florida and West Virginia to prominence and has won EVERY national championship at EVERY NCAA level in the past two years. You can make your 52-3 prediction, but just be prepared for a much closer game than you would dream possible. I'm not saying Appalachian State is going to win, but the Mountaineers will give Michigan everything they want.

Your column came across as arrogant, condescending and lacking in factual base and it is really disappointing to see such a piece in a major college newspaper. Hopefully you will learn from your mistakes and do a better job the next time you write on a subject like this.

With all due respect, informing the student body at my school about App. State's history within the framework of a ~450 word column certainly wouldn't be in the paper's best interest. I'm glad you're so passionate about the issue, C, but to think I should factor in everything from your aforementioned article is pretty foolish.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the response, and the subsequent forwarding of it to the both the sports and opinion section of the Daily that you did in your e-mail.

Best,
Scott

February 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
Mountaineer fansIn case you didn't realize, this is not the Mountaineer fan board. That is here:
http://www.appcountry.com/

This is the national FCS community.
...but when a team is competing for a D-I National Title, scheduling a non-BCS opponent in your non-conference schedule isn't a good idea.D-I's national title belongs to Appalachian State this year. Michigan plays for the BCS title (not affiliated with the NCAA Division I national championship).
... I hope the Mountaineers go 11-1 next year...For the Mountaineers to threepeat as D-I champ they will need to play 15 games so 11-1 would not do the trick.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Mountaineer fans,

Scott:

Appalachian State didn't just become a Division I school this year. The Mountaineers have been Division I since the early 1970s in ALL sports, including football. All I-AA teams have been Division I since they decided to play I-AA football and Division I sports. Why is the nomenclature so difficult for a college student at one of America's top schools to understand?

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 12:47 AM
With all due respect, informing the student body at my school about App. State's history within the framework of a ~450 word column certainly wouldn't be in the paper's best interest. I'm glad you're so passionate about the issue, C, but to think I should factor in everything from your aforementioned article is pretty foolish.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the response, and the subsequent forwarding of it to the both the sports and opinion section of the Daily that you did in your e-mail.

Best,
Scott
No one was expecting you to use all of the facts I gave you. But the problem was everyone could clearly see you had not done ANY research on what you were attempting to write about. A good writer can get the job done in a concise way, but you have to have the facts burned into your brain to accomplish that. Try reading a columnist like Ken Burger of the Charleston Post-Courier. Burger is one of the best writers in our profession and does his work in a nice, concise package every day.

ASU
February 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
Michigan would probably have a lot more
Championships (even though they have a lot) if they would just
do that simple thing instead of talking it to death.