PDA

View Full Version : How Georgia Southern's Program Is Now Better

walliver
February 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM
... Thanks to BVG!

"There are so many things you feel so good about, yet it wasn't totally accepted, and unfortunately, in those attempts to upgrade and improve, we went through some questioning of who we are," VanGorder, 47, said. "I really like the place. I like the university. I love the kids there. There are a lot of things to be excited about, but it's kind of a hard thing to understand what took place. I feel confident knowing that program is so much better today than it was one year ago, and that's what you want to look at."

Full link (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/14/0215vangorder.html) (free registration required)

walliver
February 16th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Now that I think about it, maybe he means the program is better now because Hatcher is the coach.:nod:

ButlerGSU
February 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
You're about 3 days late with this thread...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20009

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I make a motion that all BVG threads be on the smack page.

I would make the motion that we not talk about him period since he was only a blip on the FCS screen, but years from now we may need to have a little fun reminding Eagles of the 2006 seasonxlolx

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 08:46 AM

I would make the motion that we not talk about him period since he was only a blip on the FCS screen, but years from now we may need to have a little fun reminding Eagles of the 2006 seasonxlolx

Who? http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/boxed3_h4h.gif

Laserlips
February 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM

OL FU:

Hey, everyone needs to be "humbled" every now and then to make them appreciate the "good times"....

At GSU our football program has been blessed with considerable success in the past, and I think most of us had come to the conclusion that a winning season, each year, was a given...

Well, we were indeed taken down a notch this past year...

But, hope springs eternal, and hopefully the 3-8 season will always be low water mark for GSU football success.... I honestly feel that under the leadership of our new head coach Hatcher we will be in good shape quicker than most of our opponents expect..

At GSU we are already winners - BVG is GONE. :hurray: :hurray:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I honestly feel that under the leadership of our new head coach Hatcher we will be in good shape quicker than most of our opponents expect..

If it can happen it will happen at GSU:pumpuke:

:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I don't believe they will be down long either, maybe 2 seasons tops. I will, however, enjoy kicking them while they are down!:D

walliver
February 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
You're about 3 days late with this thread...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20009

It takes a long time for news to filter down to the Okefenoke Swamp, sorry:D (I'm not sure how I missed the first thread, but I have been busy this week.

Laserlips
February 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
It takes a long time for news to filter down to the Okefenoke Swamp, sorry:D (I'm not sure how I missed the first thread, but I have been busy this week.

Double E's on Okefenokee please.

Unless of course you are related to the Thrifts or Tatums on Swamp Road.. Then it's spelled "Okefenok'" :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Double E's on Okefenokee please.

Unless of course you are related to the Thrifts or Tatums on Swamp Road.. Then it's spelled "Okefenok'" :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

Are you referring to the Tatums on Swamp Road?

Cobblestone
February 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
How Georgia Southern's Program Is Now Better <--- Without Stowers?

Laserlips
February 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Are you referring to the Tatums on Swamp Road?

Probably so..

I know Luther named his only issue "Tatum"... It didn't seem to bother him the newborn was a "she"...xidiotx

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

JohnStOnge
February 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Let's see...Georgia Southern's won 6 national championships. It was in the playoffs in 2005. In 2006 it had the worst record it's had since it restarted its program in 1982.

But the program is better.

Please.

Laserlips
February 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Let's see...Georgia Southern's won 6 national championships. It was in the playoffs in 2005. In 2006 it had the worst record it's had since it restarted its program in 1982.

But the program is better.

Please.

JohnStOnge:

Unless I'm mistaken I don't think anyone familiar with GSU football is under the impression that the program is "better" at this point.. I think BVG is under the delusion that he did great things in his short stay at GSU, but I don't think anyone else is under that impression.

My enthusiasm for the future of GSU football, as soon as the upcoming season, is based on the fact that we do have quality players, who for the most part were misused by BVG-idiot last season. We do have a new head coach in Chris Hatcher who has a reputation as a winner, and who I personally think is the "right guy at the right time" for GSU football. I think we were exceptionally fortunate to hire Coach Hatcher. And even tho most teams in the SOCON don't especially wish great success for the GSU program, because of our successful history, I think it's coming.....

Note all of the "I think's" in that last statement... I don't have any proof good things will happen under our new Coach and his staff, but we'll all get the chance to see when the season opens.

Hey, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Eagle fan. I'm with the team, win,lose, or tie... But winnings the best choice of the three, and that's what I'm shooting for in the upcoming GSU Eagle football season.

As Coach Hatcher said, "they say you can't win 'em all".. "I say why not, somebody has to win - it might as well be the Hatchman"... That's the attitude of Coach Hatcher and to all of the folks who took such satisfaction in our 3-8 record last season under Brian "Didn't have a clue" Van Gorder all I can say is a very bad coach is gone and a very good coach is in charge.. That fact alone should translate into a better football season upcoming than last year.

I don't know how long it will take our new head coach and his staff to overcome the poor coaching of last season, but I'm betting it will come "sooner than later", and if you think GSU will be 3-8 THIS season you're in for a surprise..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

blueballs
February 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
The program had some chinks in the armor at the end of 2005 in the form of academic accountability and discipline issues, that can't be debated and those issues necessitated changing course in those areas.

BUT, the team was 8-4 and ranked in the top 10 at the end of 2005 and returned 15 starters including a QB that accounted for over 2000 yards and 30+ TD's. Those kids didn't all of a sudden turn into inept players on their own. The coaching CLEARLY was the issue on the field and coach fecal residue's ineptitude (to put it mildly) in performing the public relations and marketing portion of his job were an unmitigated disaster.

The team lost confidence in its kicking game the second game of the season then in its QB and coaching staff in the fourth quarter of the App St. game and things went downhill quickly from there.

There is a LOT of talent in the program... if you look critically at the talent individually and compare it to the rest of the SoCon there is no real reason the program sholdn't return to the level it was in 2005 almost immediately and take off from there IF the new leadership is at all competent.

The difference between this hire and the one last year is that last year those funding and controlling the hire (and alot of us as well) were seduced by the name and a reputation earned mainly on the backs of others. THIS hire brings an .863 career winning % as a college HC and the name Hatcher is an icon in GA HS football coaching circles. On paper this appears to be the perfect storm of proven ability and networking/recruiting/fundraising capability but you never know until toe meets leather.

I guarantee you GSU won't go 3-8 in 2007 or have a losing record.

Suffice to say I believe that 5 years from now we'll all look back and say that 2006 was an anomoly and just a really bad mistake by the administration.

We'll see...