PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele Might Try The FCS Magazine One Last Time...

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Saw this tweet on the AGS twitter account today. It looks like he is only making available online unless I'm reading it wrong and he will have actual magazines and those will only be available online...? Just a bit unclear on what it actualy will be but here is the posts for you all to check out and support or whatever.

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/948594096637136896

RichH2
January 5th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Think he means order online for magazine.

BisonBacker
January 5th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I bought his last "last one".

WestCoastAggie
January 5th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Saw this tweet on the AGS twitter account today. It looks like he is only making available online unless I'm reading it wrong and he will have actual magazines and those will only be available online...? Just a bit unclear on what it actualy will be but here is the posts for you all to check out and support or whatever.

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/948594096637136896

How is his information on the MEAC and SWAC?

Catatonic
January 5th, 2018, 03:52 PM
His last effort was an online magazine. There was no print version of FCS football. Sales fell woefully short of expectations and he hasn’t offered a FCS version in several years.

Glad to see he is going to try again. I hope there is enough interest this time to justify an annual FCS Football magazine, whether a print or online version.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 5th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Think he means order online for magazine.

That is what I was thinking but as Catatonic said it wasn't the last time so hence my confusion on this one. Probably spells it out on him site but I haven't been there yet. One of his writers is a member here so maybe we'll find out if he looks in.

Derby City Duke
January 5th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I'd probably buy it; I like it to at least look like I know what I'm talking about around here.

xsmiley_wix

BisonTru
January 5th, 2018, 04:21 PM
That is what I was thinking but as Catatonic said it wasn't the last time so hence my confusion on this one. Probably spells it out on him site but I haven't been there yet. One of his writers is a member here so maybe we'll find out if he looks in.

Last time was an online only mag. I would guess that's what he meant.

I bought it last time and it was a good read. I'll buy again although unfortunately I can't imagine the numbers will be much better than last time.

Promoting it here some when it comes out could help. I'll try and bump this thread if when I see it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SactoHornetFan
January 5th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Why doesn't he just combine both as an all Division I book?!? It's his mentality and other like him that are big reason for the perceived schism between all Division I football programs and the grafting of money to the P5 programs.

DoWe
January 5th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Why doesn't he just combine both as an all Division I book?!? It's his mentality and other like him that are big reason for the perceived schism between all Division I football programs and the grafting of money to the P5 programs.
Probably because doing so would lead to irreparable damage to the profitability of his product. The "schism" is real.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2018, 07:33 PM
Wasn't the last one a bit shoddy as in quite a few errors? Almost like they half assed it. I suppose since there isn't a big demand that's what will happen again. Thought it was around 2012 or 2013.

KPSUL
January 5th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Last time Mr. Steele produced his online magazine I paid to have a subscription and could never access it. I could not get a response from customer service - it might have been the publisher he was working with, but either way I got nothing I paid for.

MTfan4life
August 13th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Did many people end up getting the online mag he put out this season? I know it's available right now on his website for something like 10 bucks.

RootinFerDukes
August 13th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Last time was his “last magazine”. I don’t know about you, but whining isn’t a very effective marketing strategy when you’re trying to sell something many fans can find online for free with modest research.

I’ll buy one to support his efforts but come on, actually market the damn thing if you don’t want crap sales.

RootinFerDukes
August 13th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Wasn't the last one a bit shoddy as in quite a few errors? Almost like they half assed it. I suppose since there isn't a big demand that's what will happen again. Thought it was around 2012 or 2013.

Yeah I found a handful of errors just off the top of my head from the handful of pages I throughly read. It was still great to read FCS coverage though.

RootinFerDukes
August 13th, 2018, 07:02 AM
The FCS magazine is now available. It can only be viewed in a web browser right now but there’s supposedly app access coming that is still pending approval.

I’m grateful to have something to read, but this mobile browser version is not very user friendly.

MR. CHICKEN
August 13th, 2018, 07:06 AM
.......ONE AH BOUGHT.....WAS FULL UH ABBREVIATIONS.....VERAH HARD READ & CORNFUSIN'.....................AWK!

AmsterBison
August 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Last time Mr. Steele produced his online magazine I paid to have a subscription and could never access it. I could not get a response from customer service - it might have been the publisher he was working with, but either way I got nothing I paid for.

That was my experience as well.

FUBeAR
August 13th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Here’s the link to purchase: https://www.digitalwebstand.com/phil-steele/fcs-football

(Please delete if this should not be posted here for some reason - Thanks!)

F'N Hawks
August 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Is that really the cover? Is this 2016?

McNeese75
August 13th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I donated

MrLahey
August 13th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Also donating, have to keep things like this around even if the quality is lackluster... someone willing to invest the time and energy into the FCS is okay in my book even with a few errors. IT GETS ME EXCITED FOR FOOTBALL

FUBeAR
August 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Is that really the cover? Is this 2016?That is addressed 1 click before the link I posted...

”Yes this is an older Cover of the FCS Magazine a New Cover is being produced and will be added here once complete and updated onto the new FCS Webstand and App versions.2018 FCS Preview (New Updated FCS Cover will be Added soon)”
I think that’s the cover he used in 2015

ElCid
August 13th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Eh, you can get just as good info from that amazing site, I think its called AGS. And its free.

mmiller_34
August 14th, 2018, 09:20 AM
I bought every FCS Phil Steele magazine he produced from 2009 to whenever he stopped. I loved the magazine and was the one magazine I looked forward to purchasing every year.

I never understand his whining. If you're worried about the amount of copies being sold (which I get), just put the FCS work at the back end of his college football preview magazine that he does each year. Someone mentioned profitability but it appears that his staff is tracking the data each year anyway so the amount of work to produce the FCS portion can't take so much time that it cuts his profit significantly. Its not like a Clemson fan isn't going to by the magazine just because FCS teams are listed at the back of it.

Someone mentioned that the magazine is hard to read with all the abbreviations -- that is his style and its meant to help jam as much information in as possible. I personally like it. It is a football junkie magazine.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I donated

OK, I got confirmation of my order and them taking my money but crickets after that. xeyebrowx Is there a secret to getting what you paid for from that site?

RootinFerDukes
August 14th, 2018, 02:21 PM
OK, I got confirmation of my order and them taking my money but crickets after that. xeyebrowx Is there a secret to getting what you paid for from that site?

I had to click refresh and re-access the portal to get the active link to load it.

As appreciative as I am for the product, they suck with efficient digital distribution. One of many reasons why his sales are lacking.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2018, 02:30 PM
So we have to read this damn thing online and cannot download it??? WTH

RootinFerDukes
August 14th, 2018, 05:55 PM
So we have to read this damn thing online and cannot download it??? WTH

It appears that way until it gets approved for use in other apps.