PDA

View Full Version : Let me say this about JMU...

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2017, 07:26 PM
Just leaving the game now. While it was disappointing to see the Jacks get throttled, let me say this:

Wow. JMU is the king of FCS until further notice.

1. Harrisonburg is awesome. Lots of cool local places to get good food and beer.

2. JMU’s campus is so impressive. Clean, neat, modern, and historical looking all at the same time.

3. The JMU fans I ran into were nice and welcoming and I was not heckled once after the beat down.

4. Bridgeforth Stadium is great. I have been to games at the Fargodome and honestly the environment at JMU is so much better. Yeah, the fargodome is much louder, but it’s all the other things that made the game environment awesome.. 1. The streamers were cool. 2. The chants in the stadium were sweet, definitely big time football worthy. 3. The cannon firing in the distance was sweet.

​Lastly, the Jacks will be okay. It was a poor performance but we ran into a great team. We will be back but this was a reminder of how much further our program needs to get. In spite of the result of the game, it was just a real positive experience to see what JMU football is all about.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Just leaving the game now. While it was disappointing to see the Jacks get throttled, let me say this:

1. Harrisburg is awesome. Lots of cool local places to get good food and beer.

2. JMU’s campus is so impressive. Clean, neat, modern, and historical looking all at the same time.

3. The JMU fans I ran into were nice and welcoming and I was not heckled once after the beat down.

4. Bridgeforth Stadium is great. I have been to games at the Fargodome and honestly the environment at JMU is so much better. Yeah, the fargodome is much louder, but it’s all the other things that made the game environment awesome.. 1. The streamers were cool. 2. The chants in the stadium were sweet, definitely big time football worthy. 3. The cannon firing in the distance was sweet.

​Lastly, the Jacks will be okay. It was a poor performance but we ran into a great team. We will be back but this was a reminder of how much further our program needs to get. In spite of the result of the game, it was just a real positive experience to see what JMU football is all about.

What were you doing up in Pennsylvania?

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2017, 07:59 PM
What were you doing up in Pennsylvania?

oops auto correct got me on that.

JayMYou
December 16th, 2017, 08:07 PM

1. Harrisburg is awesome. Lots of cool local places to get good food and beer.

Glad you had a good experience. You guys will be back, lots of talent. This game was similar to the SHSU game last year, sometimes when your quarterback gets a little rattled it leads to a spiraling affect. That score hardly reflects the quality of your team (you did beat some "top" teams this year after all). And despite the shat you may get from certain fans, last year's semi-final proved that any offense can get derailed.

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Glad you had a good experience. You guys will be back, lots of talent. This game was similar to the SHSU game last year, sometimes when your quarterback gets a little rattled it leads to a spiraling affect. That score hardly reflects the quality of your team (you did beat some "top" teams this year after all). And despite the shat you may get from certain fans, last year's semi-final proved that any offense can get derailed.

Exaxtly, defense wins championships. And in the first 29 minutes of the game, our defense was hanging in there.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 08:18 PM
oops auto correct got me on that.

So I'm not the only one that hates the **** out of autocorrect?

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2017, 08:20 PM
So I'm not the only one that hates the **** out of autocorrect?

Nope. It’s a piece of ****.

Seriously though. If NDSU ever plays at JMU, you have to go. Cannons in the distance, gave me chills. Especially after visiting historical Battle of Bull Run site earlier in the day.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Nope. It’s a piece of ****.

Seriously though. If NDSU ever plays at JMU, you have to go. Cannons in the distance, gave me chills. Especially after visiting historical Battle of Bull Run site earlier in the day.

I spend a lot of time in DC and will probably be moving there next year, so familiar with it. Harrisonburg is a ways off, and in a scenic area though. For civil war battlefields, I like Fredericksburg, there are at least four battlefields within about 10 miles of each other.

mmiller_34
December 16th, 2017, 08:30 PM
I spend a lot of time in DC and will probably be moving there next year, so familiar with it. Harrisonburg is a ways off, and in a scenic area though. For civil war battlefields, I like Fredericksburg, there are at least four battlefields within about 10 miles of each other.

Yeah. Really cool area. I think I said it earlier on another thread but Harrisonburg reminds me of a much cleaner version of Rapid City except not as close to the big hills.

Longhorn
December 16th, 2017, 09:59 PM

1. Harrisonburg is awesome. Lots of cool local places to get good food and beer.

Thanks for the kind words about my hometown (even tho I'm a forth generation SoDaker), and the university I've worked at for the past quarter-century. I heard the Jacks fans cheering for your team (from across the way on other side of the stadium), and you're to be acknowledged and praised for being good fans after a tough game. Perhaps JMU and the SDSU programs will play again sometime soon!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 16th, 2017, 10:45 PM

I've been to both NDSU and JMU for games as well. I think week in and week out the Fargo Dome experience is better. But for a one off playoff experience I could easily see an outdoor game at Bridgeforth Stadium being a little "cooler". The area in and around Harrisonburg is simple awesome. I actually think the RRV is pretty cool too but the mountains are tough to beat. The JMU campus is super nice as well. Their quad is one of the nicest I've seen.

CaryNCDuke
December 17th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Hope to be able to experience some of the Dakotas during a regular season sometime. Glad you had a good time outside of the score.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 18th, 2017, 01:02 AM
SDSU has been the MVFC team I've been pulling for since they arrived. I love the idea of the Bison having a major conference rival, one that actually beats them half the time. I also like UNI - maybe it's the colors? Anyway, while I am happy that JMU is playing elite football right now, I am no idiot to think that this lasts forever. It doesn't. I'm also so grateful for tough teams to play to be the barometer of where our programs are. The OOC cupcakes that help us get the 8+ wins/year for the ticket to the playoffs just don't do these teams justice. The Jackrabbits have a fantastic base to build on and the Dakotas have an advantage of not competing in state the same way with FBS programs as the East Coast schools. You have guys that will definitely be playing on Sundays in the near future. This means more staying power IMO for your program. One day you'll break through. SDSU is no SHSU. The comparison is not fair or correct.

Right now, not only are JMU's players firing on all cylinders, the coaching staff is just lights out dynamite and DEEP. It's special and we'll enjoy it as long as we can.

Regarding the school and its surroundings, you are so right. The atmosphere is just awesome. We are lucky to live in a state that has so many great schools. You can maybe see why ESPN loves to come to Harrisonburg - I just wish we had the same level of crazy support for the playoffs games as we seem to get for GameDay. But three home games at the end of the season around the holidays seems to just be too much. Luckily, the 16k that show up come out in full force, and I'll take that energy any day over a dead quiet Family Weekend sellout. Also, in recent years the microbrewing in VA has gone off the charts. Harrisonburg has some great spots as you mentioned. Jack Brown's is my current local favorite and Three Notch'd Brewery is my favorite craft brewery in town.

Here's a cool article if interested in history and a list of the 210 craft breweries in Virginia. Cheers!!

https://blog.virginia.org/2017/07/virginias-beer-history/

penguinpower
December 18th, 2017, 05:22 AM
The streamers are gay.....like faggot gay.

Twentysix
December 18th, 2017, 05:26 AM
The streamers are gay.....like faggot gay.They are pretty irritating in games where jmu is the away team. When they are at home they can let their freak flag fly Imo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Christiank22
December 18th, 2017, 09:41 AM
The streamers are gay.....like faggot gay.What he said, it's embarrassing to FCS. Feels like high school football

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BadlandsGrizFan
December 18th, 2017, 09:56 AM

Ya half empty stadium looked awesome!!!

KPSUL
December 18th, 2017, 10:28 AM

Maybe at the initial kickoff, but by the end of the 1st Qtr the place was maybe 80% full. It was also the loudest and most energized crowd I've seen at Bridgeforth, and I've been going to several games each season for a while now. Definitely more into the game than the Stony Brook playoff game or homecoming vs UNH this year.

The macho hype about the streamers is ridiculous. It's a tradition there and something unique to JMU.

Considering the distance from Brookings SD, there were a significant number of SDSU fans at the game. Maybe 400 or a little more?

Silenoz
December 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Hmm, I wish we could do a home and home with them before they move up.

...and that we could put a competitive team on the field to at least make it partially interesting

DirtyDukes
December 18th, 2017, 11:07 AM
The streamers are gay.....like f***** gay.

O'Doyle Rules!

Serpentor
December 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM

Best to not use the homophobic slurs in front of the Blue Staters, it tends to make them feel morally superior to you...

mmiller_34
December 18th, 2017, 11:29 AM

It reminded me of Nebraska letting balloons fly after the first TD. It was cool, I’d give anything to have a tradition like that at SDSU.

cx500d
December 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Best to not use the homophobic slurs in front of the Blue Staters, it tends to make them feel morally superior to you...

They already do....

mmiller_34
December 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM

Didnt matter. The energy inside the stadium was fun.

DirtyDukes
December 18th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Easy to feel morally superior to a fan of a school who played a rapist

Bison56
December 18th, 2017, 11:36 AM

They feel that way all of the time.....................

BisonFanAnn
December 18th, 2017, 11:38 AM
The streamers are ridiculous. Litter all over your own stadium if you want (though why you would want to is beyond me), but please don't impose that crap on anybody else. The reason it's unique to JMU is because every other fanbase everywhere realizes that it is dumb.

But then I've spent enough of my life cleaning up after other people that I may be a bit biased. I don't even leave an empty cup or hot dog wrapper by my seat in a stadium - much less throw trash all over other seats (and the field).

Serpentor
December 18th, 2017, 11:41 AM
They already do....

Well let's just say more than usual.

th0m
December 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Glad you enjoyed your visit (other than the score)

thanks for posting about it, we do think we have a pretty good setup and its nice to hear others feel the same way. I watched your semi vs. UNH on ESPN and you have a top notch facility of your own, and from the looks an even better indoor facility?

StrikeJMU
December 18th, 2017, 02:43 PM

Said the man who basically had a full on existential meltdown when his gang of Youngstown losers got belted last January. Find a punter yet? Because the one you had kicks like a "faggot".

JayMYou
December 18th, 2017, 03:22 PM
I get talking chit, I get smack and banter and all that fun stuff. But how much of a miserable, insecure, coward do you have to be to keep throwing around "gay" "faggot" "snowflake" like an 5th grader from the 1980's? Morally superior? How about trying not to reinforce the very stereotypes you're trying to dispel?

Thumper 76
December 18th, 2017, 03:48 PM
I get talking chit, I get smack and banter and all that fun stuff. But how much of a miserable, insecure, coward do you have to be to keep throwing around "gay" "faggot" "snowflake" like an 5th grader from the 1980's? Morally superior? How about trying not to reinforce the very stereotypes you're trying to dispel?

Oh dear someone’s offended. xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Oh dear someone’s offended. xlolx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not offended but the point is this:

If someone had come on here talking about how we got SDSU’s n****r QB to throw 7 interceptions, the board would’ve (rightfully) erupted in shock. And if that person were to suggest that they thought that’s how all midwesterners think the board would again (rightfully) erupt in shock.

But then somebody uses the word faggot and people back him up like that’s not also an equally offensive word. Where’s the line? We can say faggot but not the N word?

Edit: I’m from Tennessee, so a “red stater” if that makes much difference - which it seems to.

JayMYou
December 18th, 2017, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Thumper 76;2593561]Oh dear someone’s offended. xlolx

Fret not, it takes more to offend me than keyboard "tough guys" safe in their caves.

http://abetteruserexperience.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nerd.jpg

JayMYou
December 18th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I’m not offended but the point is this:

If someone had come on here talking about how we got SDSU’s n****r QB to throw 7 interceptions, the board would’ve (rightfully) erupted in shock. And if that person were to suggest that they thought that’s how all midwesterners think the board would again (rightfully) erupt in shock.

But then somebody uses the word faggot and people back him up like that’s not also an equally offensive word. Where’s the line? We can say faggot but not the N word?

Unfortunately there are quite a few on here that are partial to both words, so you may be barking up the wrong evolutionary tree.

URMite
December 18th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Fret not, it takes more to offend me than keyboard "tough guys" safe in their caves.

Dammit!...I wish people would stop using my old High School Photo...

Theee Catrabbit
December 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Dear lord, I come in here to say congratulations to JMU and I encounter a bunch of 3rd grader throwing slurs at each other......I'm not sure why I am surprised.....seriously though grow the **** up people. Congratulations to JMU!

cx500d
December 18th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Where'd you get that picture of NotTru in his mom's basement?

mmiller_34
December 18th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Dear lord, I come in here to say congratulations to JMU and I encounter a bunch of 3rd grader throwing slurs at each other......I'm not sure why I am surprised.....seriously though grow the **** up people. Congratulations to JMU!

*** Ugh

Derby City Duke
December 18th, 2017, 11:17 PM
The tradition of the streamers hails from the early 1980s with men's basketball. From '81 to '83, the Dukes made 3 consecutive NCAA tournaments, winning their 1st round game each year (in '82, lost to a certain team from North Carolina with some guys named Worthy, Doherty, and the Jordan fella by the blowout margin of 52-50 in the 2nd round). Our gym at the time, Godwin Hall, seated about 5,000 and if you were in the top 2 rows you could -- with some ingenuity and help from some friends -- reach the corrugated metal panels in the ceiling and bounce them. Made a huge racket. I don't know for sure who started it, but at a home game in the '81-'82 season, some guys cleaned out all the toilet paper from their dorm and after the 1st basket by the Dukes tossed them to the court. Eventually, for mostly economic reasons, the school convinced the students to change over to streamers. I think their reasons were also based on the sanitary needs of its students. I used to keep a store bought stash in my dorm room, so I could use the bathroom on game days...

The fan base tends to overdo it and have difficulty moderating the behavior -- thus the NCAA ban on streamers in Frisco this year.

There are loads of beautiful campuses in the U.S., but if you ever get a chance to visit JMU's quad/bluestone area I truly believe you will be impressed. One of the reasons I chose to go there and why it still feels like home 4 decades later.