PDA

View Full Version : Breiner resigns at Fordham to join Mississippi State staff

LU808
December 7th, 2017, 11:53 AM
This will set the Fordham program back a year or two....

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 7th, 2017, 12:29 PM
This will be the Rams 4th coach since 2011. Hard to build a program with that much coaching turnover.

TheValleyRaider
December 7th, 2017, 05:20 PM
This will be the Rams 4th coach since 2011. Hard to build a program with that much coaching turnover.

If you look back at who's been in place, though, seems like the end of each coaches' tenure makes sense
1999-2003: Dave Clawson, finished with 10-3 and 9-3 seasons, now at Wake Forest
2004-2005: Ed Foley, down to 1-10 in 2 years, fired
2006-2011: Tom Masella, hit 8-4 and won the league in his second year, finished at 1-11, then fired
2012-2015: Joe Moorhead, finished with 12-2, 11-3, 9-3, now at Mississippi State
2016-2017: Briener, 8-3 then 4-7 (though now promoted up the ladder to Miss. St)

I've said this in other places, but is there another program that rides the rollercoaster quite like Fordham?

RichH2
December 7th, 2017, 07:53 PM
If you look back at who's been in place, though, seems like the end of each coaches' tenure makes sense
2006-2011: Tom Masella, hit 8-4 and won the league in his second year, finished at 1-11, then fired
2012-2015: Joe Moorhead, finished with 12-2, 11-3, 9-3, now at Mississippi State
2016-2017: Briener, 8-3 then 4-7 (though now promoted up the ladder to Miss. St)

I've said this in other places, but is there another program that rides the rollercoaster quite like Fordham?
Sure in the SEC. Really novel in the PL :)

Fordham
December 8th, 2017, 08:06 AM

I see what you're saying but I take it as a sign of a well run program with high expectations. Clawson moved up the ladder and things went in the tank with his OC, Foley, and the AD quickly pulled the plug. Massella had a good run early and as soon as the wheels came off, they pulled the plug on him too and landed the best HC we've had in the modern era. Breiner severely disappointed and opted for security and to be re-united with his mentor rather than risk his job in a season where so little returns. He's a smart guy but severely underperformed and that was with a loaded team this past year.

We're using a search firm to help us with this hire and I really think this is one sport where we've managed things well. Perform to high expectations or you're gone but if you meet those expectations, Fordham is a great stepping stone to bigger things. My PL brethren would be thriving, given their much better facilities and higher academic ranking if they took this approach imo.

Franks Tanks
December 8th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I see what you're saying but I take it as a sign of a well run program with high expectations. Clawson moved up the ladder and things went in the tank with his OC, Foley, and the AD quickly pulled the plug. Massella had a good run early and as soon as the wheels came off, they pulled the plug on him too and landed the best HC we've had in the modern era. Breiner severely disappointed and opted for security and to be re-united with his mentor rather than risk his job in a season where so little returns. He's a smart guy but severely underperformed and that was with a loaded team this past year.

We're using a search firm to help us with this hire and I really think this is one sport where we've managed things well. Perform to high expectations or you're gone but if you meet those expectations, Fordham is a great stepping stone to bigger things. My PL brethren would be thriving, given their much better facilities and higher academic ranking if they took this approach imo.

Agree, and you guys deserve credit for behaving like a D1 program and expecting proper results. Clawson was a great hire. Joe was the perfect storm and his hire was a no brainer, but still deserve credit for making it happen.

Lafayette got a former NFL coach, which nobody expected. I am very interested to see where you guys and Cross go for the next hires... also what the hell is taking the Saders so long? Gilmore was fired 2 months ago!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 8th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Fordham is good gig if you can handle NYC! Better than HC by a decent amount....

caribbeanhen
December 8th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Fordham is good gig if you can handle NYC! Better than HC by a decent amount....

The city is nice but the drivers that are constantly blowing the horn can be irritatating. Waiting for an old lady to cross the street is no excuse not to run her over in NYC

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Fordham chose to go with a young up-and-coming coach with Moorhead, and now he's at Mississippi State. Hard to see how that's anything but a tremendous positive for Moorhead, Breiner and the program in general. It's part of the risk of picking an amazing coach. The question is whether the other coaches in the Fordham tree can pick things up. What's interesting is whether Fordham will promote from within again or go for an outsider.

CHIP72
December 8th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Fordham chose to go with a young up-and-coming coach with Moorhead, and now he's at Mississippi State. Hard to see how that's anything but a tremendous positive for Moorhead, Breiner and the program in general. It's part of the risk of picking an amazing coach. The question is whether the other coaches in the Fordham tree can pick things up. What's interesting is whether Fordham will promote from within again or go for an outsider.

Wait until Joe Moorhead comes back to Penn State as the head coach after James Franklin falls on his behind.

Neighbor2
December 8th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Cost of living, especially the taxes, in Starkville is about HALF what it is in NY/NJ. Add (possibly) a doubling of his salary and I'm sure it wasn't too difficult a move.

CHIP72
December 8th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Cost of living, especially the taxes, in Starkville is about HALF what it is in NY/NJ. Add (possibly) a doubling of his salary and I'm sure it wasn't too difficult a move.

Yeah, and there are about 1/10 as many things to do in and near Starkville as there are in NYC/north Jersey too.

(I've been to Starkville, in fact within the last month, and like visiting there, but I'd have a rough time living there, especially considering Starkville and the Mississippi Golden Triangle area - Columbus/Starkville/West Point - is practically an oasis of activity compared to the surrounding area, which has a whole bunch of nothing. Well, some Dollar General stores and a whole bunch of nothing.)

Go Green
December 8th, 2017, 12:14 PM

Cornell has had a similar problem for the past 12-15 years.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Apropos of nothing, Bob Shoop apparently will be Mississippi State's DC under Moorhead. That just seems like a match made in heaven. Moorhead's never been a huge defense guy, and here's a guy who is all defense and knows all the SEC defenses.

TheValleyRaider
December 8th, 2017, 05:45 PM

I don't disagree, broadly speaking (though I think that varies between schools), but it is interesting how widely these hires have varied. The good ones have been very good, while the others have been very not.