OVC
0.00%

Ivy
-

MEAC
-

SWAC
-

...BUT...BUT....AH THOUGHT...........xconfusedx............BRAWK!

th0m
December 4th, 2017, 12:08 PM
I know Mr. Chicken. The silence is deafening ;)

Bisonator
December 4th, 2017, 12:11 PM
...BUT...BUT....AH THOUGHT...........xconfusedx............BRAWK!

I know Mr. Chicken. The silence is deafening ;)
Well last week an MVFC team took out another just like the CAA. It is what it is, we'll see how it changes in the next 2 weeks.

th0m
December 4th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Aye for sure. UNH-SDSU has very good odds of flipping the records back the other way.

Jacks02
December 4th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Remember that one of the MVFC losses came to an MVFC opponent.

The other two losses were our #4 and #5 ranked teams losing close games on the road to T-1st Big Sky Weber State and #2 Southland/#6 seed SHSU.

If either NDSU or SDSU lose this weekend, I'll eat crow, but I don't think the MVFC has anything to be ashamed about thus far.

th0m
December 4th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Same for the CAA (Stony Brook to JMU), Big Sky (SUU to Weber) and the SoCon (Furman to Wofford)

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Same for the CAA (Stony Brook to JMU), Big Sky (SUU to Weber) and the SoCon (Furman to Wofford)

Yeah, kind of hard to compare when we have so much fratricide.

BucBisonAtLarge
December 4th, 2017, 04:00 PM
This 'analysis' doesn't look very distinct from 'who got selected' by conference. Maybe doing an analysis of performance over the years of the 24 team tournament might yield something valid. Otherwise, it seems like a little more chest-thumping from MVFC and CAA. Carry on.

Professor Chaos
December 17th, 2017, 10:33 AM
Updated after the semis:

Win
Loss
Win %

CAA
66.67%

MVFC
63.64%

Big South
50.00%

Pioneer
50.00%

Big Sky
40.00%

SoCon
40.00%

Southland
40.00%

NEC
0.00%

Patriot
0.00%

OVC
0.00%

Ivy
-

MEAC
-

SWAC
-

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2017, 11:24 AM

The other two losses were our #4 and #5 ranked teams losing close games on the road to T-1st Big Sky Weber State and #2 Southland/#6 seed SHSU.

If either NDSU or SDSU lose this weekend, I'll eat crow, but I don't think the MVFC has anything to be ashamed about thus far.

How about if we also talk about SOS and home/road advantages for a minute ??

For play-in games:

WIU had to travel to at large bid Weber St to lose by 2 .. who lost to #1 JMU by just 3 at JMU
USD had to travel to at large bid Nicholls St, then lost close one to #6 SHSU .. playing short handed
UNI hosted and blew out at large bid Monmouth by 39 .. then lost to SDSU on road

UNH hosted a bad auto bid CCSU (missing QB) and barely won .. then got destroyed by SDSU
Stoney Brook hosted a bad auto bid Lehigh to win by 29 .. then got beat by JMU by 19
Elon hosted at large Furman and lost .. Furman went on to get smoked by Wofford, who then got smoked by NDSU

So CAA got 3 home games ( 2 patsies) and went 2-1 with maybe 1 quality result but against a bad Lehigh. While MVFC got 1 easy home game, went 2-1, and had quality results against all 3.

CAA MVP is .... UNH AD Marty Scarano .. 14 years of CAA advocacy and counting !!!!!

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2017, 11:34 AM

For play-in games:

WIU had to travel to at large bid Weber St to lose by 2 .. who lost to #1 JMU by just 3 at JMU
USD had to travel to at large bid Nicholls St, then lost close one to #6 SHSU .. playing short handed
UNI hosted and blew out at large bid Monmouth by 39 .. then lost to SDSU on road

UNH hosted a bad auto bid CCSU and barely won .. then got destroyed by SDSU
Stoney Brook hosted a bad auto bid Lehigh .. then got beat by JMU by 19
Elon hosted at large Furman and lost .. Furman went on to get smoked by Wofford, who then got smoked by NDSU

So CAA got 3 easy home games and went 2-1 with maybe 1 quality result but against a bad Lehigh. While MVFC got 1 easy home game, went 2-1, and had quality results against all 3.

Oh please get a ****ing grip, UNH yes played poorly and beat the NEC champs, you conveniently forgot we went to UCA(how’d you do vs them?)and beat the southland champs. SB pounded the lowly hawks just like UNI did before both losing to conference mates. You are saying USD had to go play a tough nichols team xlolxthat’s hilarious. NDSU blew out a SD team that was just so strong right? What else, NDSU beat wofford and SHSU pretty handily but I don’t see either of those teams beating the big Sky champs in Weber state that played their hearts out and almost beat JMU. Then JMU blows out SDSU at home. I give you the WIU draw but other than that I think your SOS argument regardless of the dumb seeding numbers is crap

regardless of record I didn’t think Elon was a playoff team, big disappointment at home I’ll give you that.

kalm
December 17th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Oh please get a ****ing grip, UNH yes played poorly and beat the NEC champs, you conveniently forgot we went to UCA(how’d you do vs them?)and beat the southland champs. SB pounded the lowly hawks just like UNI did before both losing to conference mates. You are saying USD had to go play a tough nichols team xlolxthat’s hilarious. NDSU blew out a SD team that was just so strong right? What else, NDSU beat wofford and SHSU pretty handily but I don’t see either of those teams beating the big Sky champs in Weber state that played their hearts out and almost beat JMU. Then JMU blows out SDSU at home. I give you the WIU draw but other than that I think your SOS argument regardless of the dumb seeding numbers is crap

regardless of record I didn’t think Elon was a playoff team, big disappointment at home I’ll give you that.

Just like with the regular poll, you have to drill down further to fairly assess conference playoff records and yes, opponents strength and home games play a significant roll.

Case in point, the SLC finished 2-3 which isn't bad except 4 of those five games were home games and only one was against a seeded team. The CAA benefited (as they do every year) from facing the NEC and PL champs but also played 3 games against seeded teams.

th0m
December 17th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Spin city has begun. Let me get some popcorn.

NDSUtk
December 17th, 2017, 01:20 PM
One day maybe I'll understand the conference comparison pissing match. It's not the like FBS where this becomes as critical. We get 24 teams in. If you're 5th in a power conference and don't get in, that's your fault. For the teams above that make it, you got a fair shot so prove it.

It really doesn't matter which conference is better as only one TEAM wins the championship.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

kalm
December 17th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Spin city has begun. Let me get some popcorn.

No spin. Just observations for accuracy's sake.

semobison
December 17th, 2017, 02:52 PM
This conference chest thumping is nothing new. Eight to ten years ago many CAA fans were obnoxious as hell about their superiority. These same guys are now the ones complaining about MVFC bias! Go figure!

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2017, 04:47 PM

except I didn't say "USD had to go a play a tough Nicholls St" .. I said "at large bid" ... right ? But I will say this, Nichols St is/was far tougher than CCSU or Lehigh .. far tougher. And Weber St as far tougher than Furman.

As for NDSU beating San Diego .. does it really matter who they or JMU play in round of 16 ? Not to mention, do they not deserve the weaker teams with very normal "circle seeding" being basis for every playoff ?

Kalm said it right and has said it before .. CAA benefits considerably from demographics ... with a little help from UNH AD Marty Scarano, if you ask me.

Let's keep in mind the pint of original post and some f the pro-Colonial responses .. they were speaking proudly of CAA at expense of MVFC, as if SOS and home/away should not be considered. CAA had a cake walk in their 3 home play in games against very weak teams and did not impress. MVFC did not have that luxury ... no arguing that no matter how hard you try to see otherwise.

Redbird 4th & short
December 17th, 2017, 09:26 PM

For play-in games:

UNH hosted a bad auto bid CCSU (missing QB) and barely won .. then got destroyed by SDSU
Stoney Brook hosted a bad auto bid Lehigh to win by 29 .. then got beat by JMU by 19

So CAA got 3 home games ( 2 patsies) and went 2-1 with maybe 1 quality result but against a bad Lehigh. While MVFC got 1 easy home game, went 2-1, and had quality results against all 3.

CAA MVP is .... UNH AD Marty Scarano .. 14 years of CAA advocacy and counting !!!!!

So I pulled the Massey Composites (average of 38 polls and systems) for CAA and MVFC playoff games

MVFC played #4, #31, and #38 .. with 2 of 3 on road .. went 2-1
CAA played #23, #45, and #70 .. with all 3 at home .. went 2-1

1. Same record ? Of course, that calculation is easy .. unless you dare look beneath the surface.

2. Same SOS ? Uh, not close, especially for playoff pairings. CAA got the 2 worst auto bids. MVFC got zero auto bids. See differences in Massey Composite rankings above.

3. Same home/away ? No, CAA got all 3 at home. MVFC got 1 of 3 at home.

4. Same comparable results ? No we played that clearly tougher schedule much tougher. Our loss was much more impressive loss. Our 2 wins were more impressive as well .. see below.

MVFC Play-in Games with Massey Composite rankings (and selected polls in parenthesis)

WIU lost by 2 on road against #4 Weber St (FCP #8, AGS #10) .. I don't think they are #4, but they are arguably top 10 or 12
UNI won by 39 at home against #31 Monmouth (FCP #23, AGS # 24) .. Monmouth had higher composite before UNI destroyed them.
USD won by 7 on road against #38 Nicholls St (FCP #22) .. USD playing short handed; then lost by 12 at #6 SHSU

FYI ... NDSU opponent San Diego is ranked #29 on Massey Composite; there were 4 teams ranked worse in playoff. And they beat #27 NAU by 31 on road in play in game.

CAA Play-in Games:

Elon lost by 1 at HOME against #23 Furman (FCP #25, AGS #18) .. except Furman then lost by 18 to Wofford, then Wofford lost by 32 to NDSU
UNH won by 14 at HOME against #45 CCSU .. CCSU was missing their stud QB; granted UNH beat UCA in next round, but got smoked by 42 against SDSU
Stony Brook won by 30 at HOME against #70 Lehigh .. the only 5-6 team to ever make playoff; next SB lost to JMU by 19

UNHWildcat18
December 17th, 2017, 11:45 PM
So I pulled the Massey Composites (average of 38 polls and systems) for CAA and MVFC playoff games

MVFC played #4, #31, and #38 .. with 2 of 3 on road .. went 2-1
CAA played #23, #45, and #70 .. with all 3 at home .. went 2-1

1. Same record ? Of course, that calculation is easy .. unless you dare look beneath the surface.

2. Same SOS ? Uh, not close, especially for playoff pairings. CAA got the 2 worst auto bids. MVFC got zero auto bids. See differences in Massey Composite rankings above.

3. Same home/away ? No, CAA got all 3 at home. MVFC got 1 of 3 at home.

4. Same comparable results ? No we played that clearly tougher schedule much tougher. Our loss was much more impressive loss. Our 2 wins were more impressive as well .. see below.

MVFC Play-in Games with Massey Composite rankings (and selected polls in parenthesis)

WIU lost by 2 on road against #4 Weber St (FCP #8, AGS #10) .. I don't think they are #4, but they are arguably top 10 or 12
UNI won by 39 at home against #31 Monmouth (FCP #23, AGS # 24) .. Monmouth had higher composite before UNI destroyed them.
USD won by 7 on road against #38 Nicholls St (FCP #22) .. USD playing short handed; then lost by 12 at #6 SHSU

FYI ... NDSU opponent San Diego is ranked #29 on Massey Composite; there were 4 teams ranked worse in playoff. And they beat #27 NAU by 31 on road in play in game.

CAA Play-in Games:

Elon lost by 1 at HOME against #23 Furman (FCP #25, AGS #18) .. except Furman then lost by 18 to Wofford, then Wofford lost by 32 to NDSU
UNH won by 14 at HOME against #45 CCSU .. CCSU was missing their stud QB; granted UNH beat UCA in next round, but got smoked by 42 against SDSU
Stony Brook won by 30 at HOME against #70 Lehigh .. the only 5-6 team to ever make playoff; next SB lost to JMU by 19

You really went digging to prove your point further huh? Using rankings fine one can deduct that in the opening round due to regionalization and due to our teams out bidding(and with better facilities) the NEC and PL champs, we got an easier draw. Sorry there are more teams and conferences out on the east coast, that and the crap rules keeping teams from having a further distance first round match up.

That being said looking after the first round games..

MVFC-2nd round
UNI- gets screwed at has to play at (5)SDSU and loses
SDSU- see above
NDSU- Beats the pioneer league champs(hats off to them for beating NAU)
USD- loses to (6)SHSU

CAA- 2nd round
SBU- The 9-2 CAA 2nd place SBU team has to go play #1 seeded team JMU
UNH- wins at (4)UCA southland champs

CAA to me had a worse draw for second round than the MVFC.

Quarters
MVFC-
NDSU- hosts soconn champs 7th seed wofford
SDSU- hosts UNH

CAA
JMU-hosts big sky champs Weber state (unseeded but better than most seeded teams IMO 3/4/6/7/8, they beat a good WIU team and took it to JMU)
CAA- my young wildcats played awful everywhere and got taken to the woodshed by a very good (5)SDSU team.

Id say again CAA had it tougher draw wise

Semifinals

NDSU- hosts second place southland (6)SHSU- takes them to the woodshed
JMU- hosts MVFC co-champs (5) SDSU- takes them to the woodshed(UNH put up a better fight at JMU xthumbsupx)

who had it tougher? hard to even ask since there is an mvfc team in both games.

All in all yes due to rules and bidding the CAA had an easier draw in the first round. After that though things pretty much even out due to seeding and which teams won.

CAA vs MVFC NC is in place again and I couldn't be happier

"CAA MVP is .... UNH AD Marty Scarano .. 14 years of CAA advocacy and counting !!!!!"

That was just stupid^ If you think Marty is some collusion master making it easier for any CAA team including UNH you are a clown. He can't even be in the room when the CAA at large potentials are being spoken about. we've gone on the road and we've hosted like everyone else. If people are mad about us hosting the PL/NEC champs in recent years be mad at them for having crappy small facilities and more importantly not out bidding us.

JMUNJ08
December 18th, 2017, 12:59 AM
This conference chest thumping is nothing new. Eight to ten years ago many CAA fans were obnoxious as hell about their superiority. These same guys are now the ones complaining about MVFC bias! Go figure!

I see a really good NDSU team for the past 7 years but besides ISUr 1 year, no other team has made the finals from MVFC (given timeframe below will give you UNI too)...

Since I started college in 04 (13 years now...) the CAA has the following:

JMU - 2 (2NC)
Nova - 1 (1NC)
UR - 1 (1NC)
UD - 2
Towson - 1
UMass - 1

So if we are talking about CONFERENCES, the CAA brought 6 different teams (3 won) to the NC while MVFC brought 3 (1 won). Fine, total trips only 8-7 CAA but 1 team going 5 times does not make a conference. Sounds like appetizers...

I mean, c'mon, Towson going is like Mizzu St or ISUb making it...

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I see a really good NDSU team for the past 7 years but besides ISUr 1 year, no other team has made the finals from MVFC (given timeframe below will give you UNI too)...

JMU - 2 (2NC)
Nova - 1 (1NC)
UR - 1 (1NC)
UD - 2
Towson - 1
UMass - 1

So if we are talking about CONFERENCES, the CAA brought 6 different teams (3 won) to the NC while MVFC brought 3 (1 won). Fine, total trips only 8-7 CAA but 1 team going 5 times does not make a conference. Sounds like appetizers...

Good point that the forerunner to the CAA was the A-10 conference which included FCS teams that are now FBS (UMass & UConn) ODU was a member briefly of the CAA as was Georgia State for 2012.

Not sure any other FCS conference has born that many FBS programs. Some should come back given their FBS experience.

PS: You missed Youngstown State last season for the MVFC. I know easy to miss since they are the bastard step-child of the MVFC. xpeacex

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2017, 08:56 AM
You really went digging to prove your point further huh? Using rankings fine one can deduct that in the opening round due to regionalization and due to our teams out bidding(and with better facilities) the NEC and PL champs, we got an easier draw. Sorry there are more teams and conferences out on the east coast, that and the crap rules keeping teams from having a further distance first round match up.

That being said looking after the first round games..

MVFC-2nd round
UNI- gets screwed at has to play at (5)SDSU and loses
SDSU- see above
NDSU- Beats the pioneer league champs(hats off to them for beating NAU)
USD- loses to (6)SHSU

CAA- 2nd round
SBU- The 9-2 CAA 2nd place SBU team has to go play #1 seeded team JMU
UNH- wins at (4)UCA southland champs

CAA to me had a worse draw for second round than the MVFC.

Quarters
MVFC-
NDSU- hosts soconn champs 7th seed wofford
SDSU- hosts UNH

CAA
JMU-hosts big sky champs Weber state (unseeded but better than most seeded teams IMO 3/4/6/7/8, they beat a good WIU team and took it to JMU)
CAA- my young wildcats played awful everywhere and got taken to the woodshed by a very good (5)SDSU team.

Id say again CAA had it tougher draw wise

Semifinals

NDSU- hosts second place southland (6)SHSU- takes them to the woodshed
JMU- hosts MVFC co-champs (5) SDSU- takes them to the woodshed(UNH put up a better fight at JMU xthumbsupx)

who had it tougher? hard to even ask since there is an mvfc team in both games.

All in all yes due to rules and bidding the CAA had an easier draw in the first round. After that though things pretty much even out due to seeding and which teams won.

CAA vs MVFC NC is in place again and I couldn't be happier

"CAA MVP is .... UNH AD Marty Scarano .. 14 years of CAA advocacy and counting !!!!!"

That was just stupid^ If you think Marty is some collusion master making it easier for any CAA team including UNH you are a clown. He can't even be in the room when the CAA at large potentials are being spoken about. we've gone on the road and we've hosted like everyone else. If people are mad about us hosting the PL/NEC champs in recent years be mad at them for having crappy small facilities and more importantly not out bidding us.
so the only real difference in 2017 results so far is that no CAA team has had to play our best team, NDSU, yet ?

As for SB having to play JMU .. that is completely irrelevant to this argument about playoff record by conference. UNI lost to SDSU too ... we're even. MVFC has had much tougher non-conf playoff schedule.

As for me being a clown for thinking UNH AD Scarano has undue influence on FCS selection committee .. 2 things

- 14 straight years for UNH in oplayoffs coinciding with his tenure .. doesn't raise an eye brow ?
- must be a whole bunch of clowns like me out there

To the other poster rolling in older years when CAA dominated .. agreed, and several of us already acknowledged those facts. Current debate here an on other thread is, how good is MVFC without NDSU. For that, I went back to 2010 when NDSU first made playoffs. I was able to demonstrate with playoff game results that MVFC (excl NDSU) is 20-10 in non-conf games, and that no one else is close. That should have answered the question regarding MVFC excl NDSU for 2010-17 period.

20-10 over 7 years is no small sample size ... 20-11 now with SDSU loss to JMU. But still wondering why we don't get to wishfully exclude other conferences' best teams ?

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2017, 12:13 PM
MVFC is great! Give them all a trophy! xcoffeex

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM
so the only real difference in 2017 results so far is that no CAA team has had to play our best team, NDSU, yet ?

As for SB having to play JMU .. that is completely irrelevant to this argument about playoff record by conference. UNI lost to SDSU too ... we're even. MVFC has had much tougher non-conf playoff schedule.

As for me being a clown for thinking UNH AD Scarano has undue influence on FCS selection committee .. 2 things

- 14 straight years for UNH in oplayoffs coinciding with his tenure .. doesn't raise an eye brow ?
- must be a whole bunch of clowns like me out there

To the other poster rolling in older years when CAA dominated .. agreed, and several of us already acknowledged those facts. Current debate here an on other thread is, how good is MVFC without NDSU. For that, I went back to 2010 when NDSU first made playoffs. I was able to demonstrate with playoff game results that MVFC (excl NDSU) is 20-10 in non-conf games, and that no one else is close. That should have answered the question regarding MVFC excl NDSU for 2010-17 period.

20-10 over 7 years is no small sample size ... 20-11 now with SDSU loss to JMU. But still wondering why we don't get to wishfully exclude other conferences' best teams ?

1. SDSU beat NDSU this year and JMU dominated them. It's totally fine if you think it was an off day and the NDSU squad is truly better. We have the NC thankfully.

2. I wasn't part of the group of people mentioning the playoff records. Also besides the first round which we just went over, the MVFC has not had a harder draw going on from round two. excluding the UNI/SBU, and like I said the second round was UNH playing at UCA which is a better team than SHSU or San Diego. quarters ignoring CAA/MVFC matchup in SDSU vs UNH you have the bison hosting wofford and JMU hosting weber state. Weber State is better IMO but of course open for debate.

3. No not many clowns, Here are the regular season records for the 14 years
UNH 2004 10-2
UNH 2005 10-1
UNH 2006 9-3
UNH 2007 7-4 First round UNI
UNH 2008 10-2
UNH 2009 9-2
UNH 2010 7-4 Quarters UD went to NC
UNH 2011 8-3
UNH 2012 8-3
UNH 2013 7-4 Semifinals NDSU won that year
UNH 2014 10-1
UNH 2015 7-4 2nd round Colgate went to Quarters
UNH 2016 7-4 2nd round JMU won that year
UNH 2017 7-4 Quarters SDSU went to semifinals

One can talk about them being a bubble team 6/14 years while they were in the playoffs with 8 wins or more for 8 of the years. Seriously why would it raise an eyebrow? 2015 is the only year where I thought they didn't belong.

Redbird 4th & short
December 18th, 2017, 05:08 PM
1. SDSU beat NDSU this year and JMU dominated them. It's totally fine if you think it was an off day and the NDSU squad is truly better. We have the NC thankfully.

2. I wasn't part of the group of people mentioning the playoff records. Also besides the first round which we just went over, the MVFC has not had a harder draw going on from round two. excluding the UNI/SBU, and like I said the second round was UNH playing at UCA which is a better team than SHSU or San Diego. quarters ignoring CAA/MVFC matchup in SDSU vs UNH you have the bison hosting wofford and JMU hosting weber state. Weber State is better IMO but of course open for debate.

UNH 2004 10-2
UNH 2005 10-1
UNH 2006 9-3
UNH 2008 10-2
UNH 2009 9-2
UNH 2011 8-3
UNH 2012 8-3
UNH 2014 10-1

One can talk about them being a bubble team 6/14 years while they were in the playoffs with 8 wins or more for 8 of the years. Seriously why would it raise an eyebrow? 2015 is the only year where I thought they didn't belong.

I think 6 for 6 as 7-4 bubble team speaks for itself and helps support my contention. I wonder how many other teams are 6 for 6 ?

Milktruck74
December 18th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Good point that the forerunner to the CAA was the A-10 conference which included FCS teams that are now FBS (UMass & UConn) ODU was a member briefly of the CAA as was Georgia State for 2012.

Not sure any other FCS conference has born that many FBS programs. Some should come back given their FBS experience.

PS: You missed Youngstown State last season for the MVFC. I know easy to miss since they are the bastard step-child of the MVFC. xpeacex

Actually.......Southern Conference charter members were Alabama (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama), Auburn (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_University), Clemson (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University), Georgia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Georgia), Georgia Tech (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Institute_of_Technology), Kentucky (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Kentucky), Maryland (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maryland,_College_Park), Mississippi State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_University), North Carolina (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_at_Chapel_Hill), North Carolina State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_State_University), Tennessee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee), Virginia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Virginia), Virginia Tech (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech), and Washington & Lee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_and_Lee_University). In 1922, six more universities – Florida (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida), LSU (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_State_University), Mississippi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Mississippi), South Carolina (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Carolina), Tulane (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University), and Vanderbilt (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University) joined the conference. Later additions included Sewanee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewanee:_The_University_of_the_South) (1923), Virginia Military Institute (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Military_Institute) (1924), and Duke (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University) (1929).

The SoCon birthed the ACC and SEC.

Herder
December 18th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Weber State lost to S Utah by 17, but only lost to JMU by 3. Therefore SUU is +14 over JMU. Is that the logic you are applying to SDSU/NDSU/JMU?

Gangtackle11
December 18th, 2017, 06:09 PM
Actually.......Southern Conference charter members were Alabama (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama), Auburn (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auburn_University), Clemson (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University), Georgia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Georgia), Georgia Tech (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Institute_of_Technology), Kentucky (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Kentucky), Maryland (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Maryland,_College_Park), Mississippi State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_State_University), North Carolina (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina_at_Chapel_Hill), North Carolina State (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_State_University), Tennessee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee), Virginia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Virginia), Virginia Tech (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech), and Washington & Lee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_and_Lee_University). In 1922, six more universities – Florida (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Florida), LSU (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_State_University), Mississippi (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Mississippi), South Carolina (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_South_Carolina), Tulane (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University), and Vanderbilt (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderbilt_University) joined the conference. Later additions included Sewanee (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewanee:_The_University_of_the_South) (1923), Virginia Military Institute (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Military_Institute) (1924), and Duke (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University) (1929).

The SoCon birthed the ACC and SEC.

Excellent!

ST_Lawson
December 18th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Weber State lost to S Utah by 17, but only lost to JMU by 3. Therefore SUU is +14 over JMU. Is that the logic you are applying to SDSU/NDSU/JMU?

Weber State lost to SUU by 16.
SUU lost to Weber State by 17.

Therefore Weber State is +33 over Weber State.
Is that what they mean when they say that a team beat themselves?

kalm
December 18th, 2017, 06:30 PM

UNH 2004 10-2
UNH 2005 10-1
UNH 2006 9-3
UNH 2008 10-2
UNH 2009 9-2
UNH 2011 8-3
UNH 2012 8-3
UNH 2014 10-1

2016 - got in over an Albany they list the H2H to and had an FBS win.

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I think 6 for 6 as 7-4 bubble team speaks for itself and helps support my contention. I wonder how many other teams are 6 for 6 ?

How many teams during those years are from a conference worthy of a 4th/5th team making it in, besides the mvfc...none

Also the 6-6 include a 1) semi trip 2) two quarterfinal trips 3) three 2nd round loses one of which was to the national champion who pounded the might SHSU even worse the next round.

I get people's frustration but seriously take it out on NAU who got in over other BSC teams and got crushed by san diego at home this year. No ones fault but their own if they don't make it

UNHWildcat18
December 18th, 2017, 07:51 PM
2016 - got in over an Albany they list the H2H to and had an FBS win.

6-2 conference record vs 4-4 conference record I guess was the main reason. I don't agree with it to be honest, again though marty wasn't in the room for any of this.

Bisonator
December 18th, 2017, 08:14 PM

JMU - 2 (2NC)
Nova - 1 (1NC)
UR - 1 (1NC)
UD - 2
Towson - 1
UMass - 1

There's no doubt the CAA was the dominate conference 10 years ago. I wonder how many MVFC teams might have made the final or even won it if NDSU wasn't in the PO's the last 7 years though? NDSU eliminated a lot of MVFC teams the last 7 years. Regionalization has definitely played a part IMO. When the committee stuck all 5 teams on the same side of the bracket there is little doubt about it.

Derby City Duke
December 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM
I personally think conference performance in the FCS playoffs is much like that in the NCAA tournament -- it's more about match-ups within the bracket quadrants than conference power. 2006, YSU and JMU were 4th and 5th in the country, but with 16 teams only 4 were seeded. YSU was the #4 and JMU unseeded @ 9-2 (upset loss to 'Nova killed the seed) -- committee matched them in the 1st round. Wasn't a good matchup for us that year, but you play the hand you're dealt.

Redbird 4th & short
December 19th, 2017, 07:09 AM
6-2 conference record vs 4-4 conference record I guess was the main reason. I don't agree with it to be honest, again though marty wasn't in the room for any of this.
the "marty wasn't in the room" argument holds no water in outsiders eyes. I'd stick to merits of each selection.

Bison56
December 19th, 2017, 07:16 AM
This thread.xlolx Let me see what my ruler says.

Redbird 4th & short
December 19th, 2017, 07:25 AM
There's no doubt the CAA was the dominate conference 10 years ago. I wonder how many MVFC teams might have made the final or even won it if NDSU wasn't in the PO's the last 7 years though? NDSU eliminated a lot of MVFC teams the last 7 years. Regionalization has definitely played a part IMO. When the committee stuck all 5 teams on the same side of the bracket there is little doubt about it.

In all those years that CAA got 4 and 5 teams, including a very questionable 2011 season when CAA got 5 teams (2 with 7-4 records), including 4 at large out of 10 available .... not once did they get all 4 or 5 teams on same half of bracket.

Impossible to explain following

- in 2013, MVFC got just 2 teams ... same # as MEAC, Patriot, and Southern (post Appy St and GA Southern going FBS); less than the 3 from OVC and Southland; just one more than Pioneer, NEC, and Big South .. only 3 conferences of 10 got less teasm than MVFC ... seriously !!!
- in 2014, MVFC got 5 teams, probably deserved 6 .. went 10-4, including 7-1 in non-conf, incl 5 of 8 on road; including both teams in Natty .. did we really get that good in just 1 season ?? ISU was not supposed to beat EWU and UNH on road, so .....
- in 2015, MVFC got 5 teams again ... except the FCS committee put all 5 on same side of bracket .. ensuring we would not have an all MVFC final again. This never happened to CAA in all those years they got 4 to 5 teams .. how convenient.

p.s. I don't care if Marty Scarano leaves the room .. nothing stops them from talking before or after they went into the room.