PDA

View Full Version : Early Signing Period and playoffs

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I don't know much about the early signing period, just that it is 12/20. Is it even a factor for FCS? If so, is it a disadvantage to playoff teams??? Trying to focus on the playoffs and recruit at the same time?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 07:28 AM
It's a disadvantage but no more than it was in the past. With the early signing period recruits can now take official visits to playoff games which wasn't allowed in the past. But it's still a disadvantage to not have "living room time" with recruits this time of year. However, I'm pretty sure that's a problem every FCS coaching staff is ok with having.

I think the early signing period is a good thing for all FCS programs whether they're in the playoffs or not.

BEAR
November 29th, 2017, 07:32 AM
I think it will be an advantage for the FCS. UCA has at least 4 guys committed already and if we can sign them in December, then maybe we won't have to worry about them getting "a better offer" later. Though these 4 I've seen are pretty committed. xthumbsupx

OhioHen
November 29th, 2017, 08:09 AM
It's a disadvantage but no more than it was in the past. With the early signing period recruits can now take official visits to playoff games which wasn't allowed in the past. But it's still a disadvantage to not have "living room time" with recruits this time of year. However, I'm pretty sure that's a problem every FCS coaching staff not in the Ivy, MEAC, or SWAC is ok with having.

I think the early signing period is a good thing for all FCS programs whether they're in the playoffs or not.

FIFY

walliver
November 29th, 2017, 08:23 AM
The early signing day benefits Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma (and more importantly, the teams against which they recruit) more than the lower half of the P5, all of the G5 and FCS.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 08:32 AM
FIFY
Meh... I think the Ivy coaching staffs would love to have that problem as well. For the MEAC and SWAC you can just substitute Celebration Bowl in for playoffs when it comes to whether it's a disadvantage to be playing into mid-December.

The early signing day benefits Alabama, Clemson and Oklahoma (and more importantly, the teams against which they recruit) more than the lower half of the P5, all of the G5 and FCS.
How do you figure? To my recollection those schools at the top of the recruiting food chain like Alabama and Clemson were the ones that didn't want the early signing period because they're the ones swooping in on recruits moreso than getting their recruits swooped in on. I've heard multiple interviews from NDSU's head coach saying he loves this new rule. To me it benefits the schools lower on the food chain moreso than the higher ones.

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I think it will be an advantage for the FCS. UCA has at least 4 guys committed already and if we can sign them in December, then maybe we won't have to worry about them getting "a better offer" later. Though these 4 I've seen are pretty committed. xthumbsupx

This also assumes their HS coach has been pretty realistic with them and said, "Hey, the FCS offer is as good as you are going to do." Too often the FCS players are waiting for that last second offer from an SEC or B1G that is NEVER going to come.

FUBeAR
November 29th, 2017, 09:45 AM
This also assumes their HS coach has been pretty realistic with them and said, "Hey, the FCS offer is as good as you are going to do." Too often the FCS players are waiting for that last second offer from an SEC or B1G that is NEVER going to come.

We'll all have to see, but I, too, see this as an advantage for FCS Teams.

I know it's only anecdotal, but I do know of a current multi-year starting WR for a P5 Team, who had 0 P5 offers and about 6 G5 offers. As I understand it, he was ready to sign with Mercer, but this P5 Team offered him the day before signing day and...he gone. Probably would have been a 'locked-up' Bear if they had an early signing period then.

Honestly, I'm for a completely different process...one that is much more balanced (more in favor of the Student Athletes), but I do think, perhaps, this early signing period will benefit FCS Schools. We'll see.

walliver
November 29th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Meh... I think the Ivy coaching staffs would love to have that problem as well. For the MEAC and SWAC you can just substitute Celebration Bowl in for playoffs when it comes to whether it's a disadvantage to be playing into mid-December.

How do you figure? To my recollection those schools at the top of the recruiting food chain like Alabama and Clemson were the ones that didn't want the early signing period because they're the ones swooping in on recruits moreso than getting their recruits swooped in on. I've heard multiple interviews from NDSU's head coach saying he loves this new rule. To me it benefits the schools lower on the food chain moreso than the higher ones.

The people who benefit from early signing day are schools and players who fear losing spots. A candidate "committed" to a Top 10 school may sign early to avoid losing his spot at the last minute - something which frequently happens. I saw a tweet earlier this year that some P5 programs had "offered" over 200 athletes. The Top 10 are worried about other Top 10 programs jumping in at the last minute.

There will be a small group of players who realize they aren't going to the big time schools and will commit to G5 and FCS programs, but there are a lot of "commitments" out there hoping for a better offer - what does "commitment" mean to a 17 year old after all?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Will the big boys fill their rosters in December leaving everybody else scrambling, or will they limit early signing to key athletes only?

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 10:10 AM
The people who benefit from early signing day are schools and players who fear losing spots. A candidate "committed" to a Top 10 school may sign early to avoid losing his spot at the last minute - something which frequently happens. I saw a tweet earlier this year that some P5 programs had "offered" over 200 athletes. The Top 10 are worried about other Top 10 programs jumping in at the last minute.

There will be a small group of players who realize they aren't going to the big time schools and will commit to G5 and FCS programs, but there are a lot of "commitments" out there hoping for a better offer - what does "commitment" mean to a 17 year old after all?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Will the big boys fill their rosters in December leaving everybody else scrambling, or will they limit early signing to key athletes only?
I still don't really see, or maybe just don't agree with, your logic. To me top 10 programs have the least to worry about when it comes to losing commits in comparison to G5 and FCS programs. NDSU had close to 20 verbal commitments by the time the season opener rolled around this past September (they have 22 now). I have no clue how many of them would bolt at a P5 offer but I would guess a fair amount would. Having them signed on 12/20 would mean that those guys are no longer in danger of getting plucked. And if a verbal doesn't sign on 12/20 well then the coaches know that they better make sure they have a plan B if he does bolt for a more prestigious offer because he obviously isn't completely sold he's being recruited at the level he should be getting recruited at.

BEAR
November 29th, 2017, 10:49 AM

It really is pathetic when you see a post on twitter from a kid you thought would be a really good college player and was recruited by several schools on there begging for a call from a coach and hyping himself the afternoon of signing day...almost sad really. So wait, my school wasn't good enough for you so you waited for a call from Saban because you're a baller...and now the roster if full and now you are begging on twitter for ANYONE to give you a shot? Um. No.

Milktruck74
November 29th, 2017, 03:56 PM
^^^^^ YEP!!!! And sadly, that kid could probably been a solid FCS player or maybe even a G5 and now ends up on a mediocre FCS squad (if they are lucky).