PDA

View Full Version : Annual Playoff xsmhx Attendance Thread

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2017, 04:28 PM
https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/934646978503376897

It's not all that surprising to me that the Bayou Classic outdrew the 8 FCS first roun
d games combined but pretty disappointing to see the numbers for UNI and UNH specifically. I also thought Stony Brook and Kennesaw would be higher. Nice job by Nicholls and Weber St though!

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2017, 04:32 PM
To be fair to Kennesaw, their attendance was about 80% of what it usually is, which is again, not bad. Eyeballing their wiki page it seems the mode attendance was about 6800 and their stadium capacity is 8500.

I could be wrong, but I think Kennesaw is primarily a commuter school, so their size may be misleading, so this turnout is not unimpressive

Schism55
November 26th, 2017, 04:34 PM
UNI and UNH wtf xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 26th, 2017, 04:37 PM
The crowd at the UNH-Lehigh game last year was terrible too. How are they paying for these games? Is money being subsidized through another channel?

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2017, 04:40 PM
To be fair to Kennesaw, their attendance was about 80% of what it usually is, which is again, not bad. Eyeballing their wiki page it seems the mode attendance was about 6800 and their stadium capacity is 8500.

I could be wrong, but I think Kennesaw is primarily a commuter school, so their size may be misleading, so this turnout is not unimpressive
Yeah, I guess their's wasn't too bad. Average attendance for them was 6885 so they did fairly well. You have to expect some drop off for these Thanksgiving weekend games. They weren't as bad as the others.

In the regular season UNI averaged 10,816, UNH averaged 12,751, and SBU averaged 7,893.

Schism55
November 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM
The crowd at the UNH-Lehigh game last year was terrible too. How are they paying for these games? Is money being subsidized through another channel?
Gotta be booster dollars right?
2,385 is a ****ing embarrassment.

Daytripper
November 26th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Props to Nicholls. Thanksgiving weekend always sucks for everything except a Bayou Classic.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 26th, 2017, 04:48 PM

I don't know if you are talking about UNH or the NCAA but...

If UNH...don't know how much they bid but probably didn't have to bid a bunch in the first place to hose as most schools do the minimum which used to be about 50K I think it was. If you have 2000 people at $25/ticket you cover it or if it is a bit less then a donor or advertiser will probably cover it. But as I said earlier in the week UNH is no cash cow for the playoffs and they never have been. Hell their season avg. crowds of 10-12k would not be considered a cash cow for anyone let alone what they do for playoffs.

If you meant the NCAA...

How do they pay for every other championship series in every other sport? This is a misnomer about the "money" in the FCS field. There isn't any to really act like any of this moves the needle very much at all. It is all subsidized by the BBall tournament and anything the FCS can do to help balance this one aspect is good but it sure don't mean **** to the NCAA cuz it's tiny, tiny money.

All other championships lose money but they still run them so we should all be able to see that it doesn't mean all that much to them outside of trying to limit the losses with some of the rules they have.

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Here was how each host school did in comparison to it's regular season averages:

Nicholls: 127.5% (9612 - regular season average: 7537)
Kennesaw St: 80.8% (5566 - regular season average: 6885)
Weber St: 74.9% (6876 - regular season average: 9184)
Northern Arizona: 58.2% (4068 - regular season average: 6988)
Stony Brook: 52.3% (4131 - regular season average: 7893)
Northern Iowa: 37.9% (4095 - regular season average: 10816)
Elon: 37.4% (2934 - regular season average: 7837)
New Hampshire: 18.7% (2385 - regular season average: 12751)

Birdman_
November 26th, 2017, 05:09 PM

That's right, however there's a big opportunity to improve student attendance. Most haven't began to prioritize KSU in any sport over their lifelong allegiances to other schools, so there's a significant inverse correlation to our student attendance and when UGA has big games. Those that are there are definitely into the game, but the student section could be something fierce if people would realize their diploma will read Kennesaw State, not UGA.

NDSUtk
November 26th, 2017, 05:10 PM
That's just under 40k combined. Last year was 27k. That's a pretty big improvement overall... Damn near 50% increase.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

th0m
November 26th, 2017, 05:11 PM
Shouldn't we take into consideration teams generally underreport attendance in the playoffs? Not saying these numbers still aren't sad for some games, but still.

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Shouldn't we take into consideration teams generally underreport attendance in the playoffs? Not saying these numbers still aren't sad for some games, but still.
I don't think it's as much underreporting in the playoffs as it is overreporting in the regular season. When the NCAA takes a 75% cut of every ticket sold it's amazing how much more accurate some schools get when reporting "paid attendance".

Reign of Terrier
November 26th, 2017, 05:52 PM
That's right, however there's a big opportunity to improve student attendance. Most haven't began to prioritize KSU in any sport over their lifelong allegiances to other schools, so there's a significant inverse correlation to our student attendance and when UGA has big games. Those that are there are definitely into the game, but the student section could be something fierce if people would realize their diploma will read Kennesaw State, not UGA.

All I can say is "Welcome to the FCS in the Southeast"

Panthers1995
November 26th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I was at the UNI game and I would say that the number reported is well under what the attendance actually was. The students side was very empty but from what I could see the other side was rather full. I would say it was closer to 8000.

kalm
November 26th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I don't know if you are talking about UNH or the NCAA but...

If UNH...don't know how much they bid but probably didn't have to bid a bunch in the first place to hose as most schools do the minimum which used to be about 50K I think it was. If you have 2000 people at $25/ticket you cover it or if it is a bit less then a donor or advertiser will probably cover it. But as I said earlier in the week UNH is no cash cow for the playoffs and they never have been. Hell their season avg. crowds of 10-12k would not be considered a cash cow for anyone let alone what they do for playoffs.

If you meant the NCAA...

How do they pay for every other championship series in every other sport? This is a misnomer about the "money" in the FCS field. There isn't any to really act like any of this moves the needle very much at all. It is all subsidized by the BBall tournament and anything the FCS can do to help balance this one aspect is good but it sure don't mean **** to the NCAA cuz it's tiny, tiny money.

All other championships lose money but they still run them so we should all be able to see that it doesn't mean all that much to them outside of trying to limit the losses with some of the rules they have.

It would be interesting to see how much revenue is generated and expenses saved for the NCAA through regionalization vs. seeding all the teams.

cx500d
November 26th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Here was how each host school did in comparison to it's regular season averages:

Nicholls: 127.5% (9612 - regular season average: 7537)
Kennesaw St: 80.8% (5566 - regular season average: 6885)
Weber St: 74.9% (6876 - regular season average: 9184)
Northern Arizona: 58.2% (4068 - regular season average: 6988)
Stony Brook: 52.3% (4131 - regular season average: 7893)
Northern Iowa: 37.9% (4095 - regular season average: 10816)
Elon: 37.4% (2934 - regular season average: 7837)
New Hampshire: 18.7% (2385 - regular season average: 12751)

Seeing as pretty much every school was on Thanksgiving break, its hard to say if this was unexpected. Maybe comparing to last year same weekend would be more telling.

mvemjsunpx
November 26th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Props to Nicholls. Thanksgiving weekend always sucks for everything except a Bayou Classic.

Yep. Even the Griz never came close to selling out a game on Thanksgiving weekend.

UNHWildcat18
November 26th, 2017, 11:22 PM
I know thanksgiving break is a killer, but being at the UNH game most of the people I spoke to thought the attendance was 3-4k, less than 2500 is shocking to hear.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2017, 06:02 AM
I was at the UNI game and I would say that the number reported is well under what the attendance actually was. The students side was very empty but from what I could see the other side was rather full. I would say it was closer to 8000.

I know thanksgiving break is a killer, but being at the UNH game most of the people I spoke to thought the attendance was 3-4k, less than 2500 is shocking to hear.
I'd say there's one of two possibilities here; 1) schools are using some loophole (like not counting students as a full attendee each or not counting comped tickets) to create a smaller attendance number so they have to send less $$$ to the NCAA or 2) we as fans have been trained to estimate crowd size against artificially bloated regular season attendance figures (not calling out UNI and UNH specifically since it seems like most schools do it) so when attendance is accurately reported in the playoffs it seems smaller than what one would estimate.

Not really sure which it is but I would lean towards the latter.

ASU33
November 27th, 2017, 07:17 AM

If your fan base is accustomed to having games on Thanksgiving weekend to the point that they plan their weekend around the games then it's hard to draw that weekend. The Turkey Day Classic and Bayou Classic both features fan bases that the ball game has become a part of their holiday tradition.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2017, 07:39 AM
If your fan base is accustomed to having games on Thanksgiving weekend to the point that they plan their weekend around the games then it's hard to draw that weekend. The Turkey Day Classic and Bayou Classic both features fan bases that the ball game has become a part of their holiday tradition.
This is also true. Having basically 3 days to sell tickets (since most ticket offices and/or fans are out of commission on Thanksgiving and the day after) makes it tough. Even NFL teams struggle to sell out playoff games sometimes due to short notice.

This is the main reason why I like the 2-3 week break between the semis and the title game. Gives fans the chance to get tickets/accommodations.

Daytripper
November 27th, 2017, 09:47 AM
This is also true. Having basically 3 days to sell tickets (since most ticket offices and/or fans are out of commission on Thanksgiving and the day after) makes it tough. Even NFL teams struggle to sell out playoff games sometimes due to short notice.

This is the main reason why I like the 2-3 week break between the semis and the title game. Gives fans the chance to get tickets/accommodations.

Two weeks is plenty. Three weeks is way too long.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Two weeks is plenty. Three weeks is way too long.
Yeah, I agree 2 weeks is better than 3 but 3 weeks is also better than 1. If it was always 2 weeks it might budge up against New Year's a little close for my liking some years but 3 weeks does seem like an eternity when you're in the middle of it. I'd be all for it being 2 weeks between the semis and the title game every year.

Panther88
November 27th, 2017, 11:37 AM
In all fairness, I'm impressed w/ the first round #s for this year. A few recent ago, one first round game had a whopping 754 people and I lmao'd.

furpal87
November 27th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Elon attendance number may have been majority Furman fans...

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 28th, 2017, 05:26 AM
Stony Brook - 4,131

I think this might be a harbinger of things to come for Stony Brook. Here we had this great year and had a home playoff game in nice weather and just 4131 showed up. I realize kids are home for Thanksgiving but still, that has to be a major disappointment for Heilbron. It would seem that football is dying on Long Island, largely due to the head injury issue. High Schools are having to combine teams because they can't field their own. For kids who like playing football they all get to play, so good for them, but youth participation is disappearing and kids are playing other sports like baseball and lacrosse in particular, and to some degree soccer. As a result fewer people care about high school and youth football and then it follows college football. Not sure where this leaves Stony Brook, which has gotten some name recognition from the program, but does spend a lot of money on it. By the way, one thing that is up on Long Island is travel sports. Travel baseball, travel lacrosse, etc. I HATE TRAVEL SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Professor
November 28th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Seeing as pretty much every school was on Thanksgiving break, its hard to say if this was unexpected. Maybe comparing to last year same weekend would be more telling.

The 1st round is ALWAYS low. Because it's thanksgiving weekend. Needs to be moved

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I don't think it's as much underreporting in the playoffs as it is overreporting in the regular season. When the NCAA takes a 75% cut of every ticket sold it's amazing how much more accurate some schools get when reporting "paid attendance".

This is correct. I think Western moved to much more accurately reporting attendance (although we still don't count students, which is dumb) during the regular season a few years ago. That's why we saw an average of 12.5k a decade ago and an average of 3.4k this year. The big drop-off happened when our longtime AD left and Tommy Bell (now the AD at SIU) came in...but you don't go from averaging 10k while winning 1 game in a season to averaging 5k while making the playoffs nearly overnight without some shady counting one way or the other.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2017, 06:57 PM
The 1st round is ALWAYS low. Because it's thanksgiving weekend. Needs to be moved

Thanksgiving ain't moving

igo4uni
November 28th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I was at a family function so UNI's attendance was down by 5 because my crew wasn't there.:(

ST_Lawson
November 28th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I was at a family function so UNI's attendance was down by 5 because my crew wasn't there.:(

I was at a family function in Dayton...now if the Flyers had just won the Pioneer, I might have been all set.

katss07
November 28th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Second Round attendance should be better. Nice weather is expected in Huntsville and they have been advertising the game here, so I would expect a crowd of 10,000 or so, which is awesome for SHSU! Every other host should draw a crowd, save maybe UCA. But that is just because their stadium is fairly small

JayJ79
November 28th, 2017, 10:40 PM

if every single seat in the Dome is filled, that is a little over 16000.

the west side seeming "rather full" and a very empty east side doesn't equate to 8000

In addition to it being Thanksgiving, with the students on break for the whole week, it was also a game against Monmouth. The average fan has never heard of that team, and the informed fan likely expected a very one-sided game (which it was). So not very big drawing power.

fc97
November 29th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Elon attendance number may have been majority Furman fans...

There we go, I was waiting for it. Simply false and you know it. It may have felt that way on your side, but you guys barely filled in one section. Your entire fan base was on the opposing side, which seats roughly 1000. You guys had the majority of one section full and and about 1/3 of two other sections.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Second Round attendance should be better. Nice weather is expected in Huntsville and they have been advertising the game here, so I would expect a crowd of 10,000 or so, which is awesome for SHSU! Every other host should draw a crowd, save maybe UCA. But that is just because their stadium is fairly small

advertising can't hurt I guess but it just seems like the entire town should of already got the word...

katss07
November 29th, 2017, 06:53 AM
advertising can't hurt I guess but it just seems like the entire town should of already got the word...
You wouldn’t believe how many people don’t know. The thing about advertising is it gets the word out to surrounding towns. There was a commercial for the USD game after Monday Night Football (the Texans were playing). The last time we advertised a game it was for the UCA at SHSU SLC Championship. That got great attendance. Just because it said “playoff game” I am sure people are more interested. Huntsville is where SHSU is, but aside from students, most people come from the surrounding towns.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 07:11 AM
You wouldn’t believe how many people don’t know. The thing about advertising is it gets the word out to surrounding towns. There was a commercial for the USD game after Monday Night Football (the Texans were playing). The last time we advertised a game it was for the UCA at SHSU SLC Championship. That got great attendance. Just because it said “playoff game” I am sure people are more interested. Huntsville is where SHSU is, but aside from students, most people come from the surrounding towns.

actually there is guy at the office that worked in Philly for 4 years, lived in Delaware probably know more than 15 minutes from Delaware stadium, he said he never even heard or saw anything about Bluehen football so I get your point

Daytripper
November 29th, 2017, 07:25 AM

You obviously are not familiar with Huntsville, Texas.....

BEAR
November 29th, 2017, 07:30 AM
What I really like is the fact the ESPN3 cameras show the visitor side and everyone yells that the stadiums are empty.

No. The home side is where all the outlets are and equipment needs those to run. But I do wish they would turn around and show some shots of the home side sometimes. Might give a better perception of FCS football...for some teams. xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 07:34 AM
What I really like is the fact the ESPN3 cameras show the visitor side and everyone yells that the stadiums are empty.

No. The home side is where all the outlets are and equipment needs those to run. But I do wish they would turn around and show some shots of the home side sometimes. Might give a better perception of FCS football...for some teams. xlolx
That's why NDSU doesn't have a visitor's side. :D

For fans that is.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 07:35 AM

not a clue, I'm stereotyping based off the perceived mentality of small towns that get the local paper just to make sure they got the story right...

but people in Huntsville are not aware Sam Houston State is playing this weekend?

Anthony215
November 29th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Nicholls State surprised me with their numbers but given the weather in the NE and it being a sort of down year for UNH I'm not shocked by their low turnout also considering it was thanksgiving weekend.

Professor
November 29th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Thanksgiving ain't moving

Lol the games

Hammerhead
November 29th, 2017, 08:25 AM
I think every NCAA tournament is subsidized by TV revenue from March Madness. I doubt the money ESPN pays for the non-basketball postseason is enough to cover all the expenses.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I think every NCAA tournament is subsidized by TV revenue from March Madness. I doubt the money ESPN pays for the non-basketball postseason is enough to cover all the expenses.
I don't know... that non-basketball NCAA championships contract ESPN has with the NCAA is pretty lucrative in it's own right.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-espn-ncaa/espn-ncaa-extend-deal-through-2023-24-idUSTRE7BE2FM20111215

ESPN and the NCAA have extended their TV rights deal through 2023-24, giving the network worldwide multi-media rights to 24 NCAA championships for various sports and exclusive international rights for men’s basketball’s “March Madness” tournament.
ABC News has reported that the deal is worth $500 million.

That article was from December 2011. So the NCAA is getting $40-$50M annually from ESPN for the contract that includes the FCS Championship. It's still peanuts in comparison to their multi-billion dollar TV contract with CBS and Turner for the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament but that's a significant chunk of change that I'm sure offsets losses from the FCS Championship and many other lesser known NCAA championships that ESPN broadcasts as part of that agreement. In fact, I'd venture to guess that the FCS championship is one of the better amongst the 24 NCAA championships included in that deal in sustaining itself. It's not the College World Series or the Women's Final Four but after those it's probably right up there with the best of the rest.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2017, 08:50 AM
not a clue, I'm stereotyping based off the perceived mentality of small towns that get the local paper just to make sure they got the story right...

but people in Huntsville are not aware Sam Houston State is playing this weekend?

For a relatively small town with a major university, Sam Houston receives very little local support. Saturday college football is not a "local" event. It's mainly attended by students and out of town alumni. Not really sure who is to blame for this... Part of the problem is that many in Huntsville support FBS programs and stay home and watch those on television.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Hi
For a relatively small town with a major university, Sam Houston receives very little local support. Saturday college football is not a "local" event. It's mainly attended by students and out of town alumni. Not really sure who is to blame for this... Part of the problem is that many in Huntsville support FBS programs and stay home and watch those on television.

I see, thanks for the insight

I guess it's that way in a lot of FCS towns

Professor
November 29th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Sounds like marketing issues

cx500d
November 29th, 2017, 12:25 PM

Count your blessings....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
November 29th, 2017, 12:26 PM

What major university is in Huntsville?

Daytripper
November 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM
What major university is in Huntsville?

I think 21,000 students qualifies as major, especially relative to the local population.

GAD
November 29th, 2017, 03:51 PM
We have been trying to explain that for oh I don't know 39 years

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2017, 04:23 PM

Who are these students of which you speak? I think I've seen a couple of them turn up at Hanson Field every now and then...they're usually confused about why they're there but every now and then, one or two actually stays.

I'm entirely convinced that our out of town alumni leave school and completely forget how to get back to Macomb. When the nearest city of any decent size is nearly 2 hours away, it's not easy to get people to come back for games (and yes, Bison and Grizzly fans, I realize that a lot of you drive 10 hours each way to watch your beloved teams play every week...but most schools ain't you).

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Who are these students of which you speak? I think I've seen a couple of them turn up at Hanson Field every now and then...they're usually confused about why they're there but every now and then, one or two actually stays.

I'm entirely convinced that our out of town alumni leave school and completely forget how to get back to Macomb. When the nearest city of any decent size is nearly 2 hours away, it's not easy to get people to come back for games (and yes, Bison and Grizzly fans, I realize that a lot of you drive 10 hours each way to watch your beloved teams play every week...but most schools ain't you).

I’m shocked they haven’t tried a home game at Augustana in Rock Island yet.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2017, 05:17 PM
I’m shocked they haven’t tried a home game at Augustana in Rock Island yet.

We've played at Northern Illinois and Northwestern over the last few years. I'm pretty sure we had more WIU fans at those games than we averaged at home this year. We have FAR more alumni in the Chicago area than we do within a 1 hour radius of Macomb.

mmiller_34
November 29th, 2017, 06:18 PM
SDSU ticket sales are soaring upwards to 6K.

Its going to be NUTS.

https://media.giphy.com/media/JA5eFfoAMCM1O/giphy.gif

katss07
November 29th, 2017, 06:30 PM

WIU is a MVFC team (a very good MVFC team at that), so I find it very strange that for big games they can only get 3k or so.

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2017, 06:40 PM
WIU is a MVFC team (a very good MVFC team at that), so I find it very strange that for big games they can only get 3k or so.

Not sure if it's come across in my posts here (and on facebook and twitter and leatherneck nation and...) but I'm kinda bitter about it. Sure we've had some rough seasons, but we've been pretty decent for the last few years and look to be just getting better. It just doesn't make sense to me.

There's a lot of reasons that I've speculated about (location, other things to do, lack of "connection" to the school, weather, etc.) but I'm not a student, so I don't really know what's going on in their heads.

I Bleed Purple
November 29th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Weber had its biggest draw of the year and it's really hard to visualize the stadium at 38% or so capacity when images like this exist.

http://www.standard.net/image/2017/11/25/600x_a16-9_b0_p1_ca0,279,3000,1738/MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-02-1.JPG

mvemjsunpx
November 29th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Weber had its biggest draw of the year and it's really hard to visualize the stadium at 38% or so capacity when images like this exist.

http://www.standard.net/image/2017/11/25/600x_a16-9_b0_p1_ca0,279,3000,1738/MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-02-1.JPG

It's hard to tell because it's a small picture, but that doesn't look much over 50%. Did the other side look similar?

I Bleed Purple
November 29th, 2017, 08:21 PM
It's hard to tell because it's a small picture, but that doesn't look much over 50%. Did the other side look similar?

Don't know. I sit on that side, so I have no clue what it looked like.

katss07
November 29th, 2017, 08:47 PM
That looks more than 50% full.

Professor Chaos
November 29th, 2017, 09:07 PM

Its going to be NUTS.

Fans must be getting scared off by the brutal Brookings forecast on Saturday...

Abundant sunshine. High 49. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2017, 09:11 PM
We've played at Northern Illinois and Northwestern over the last few years. I'm pretty sure we had more WIU fans at those games than we averaged at home this year. We have FAR more alumni in the Chicago area than we do within a 1 hour radius of Macomb.

They did a spring game at Rocky once. I went. Pretty decent crowd. Seems like they might have some luck playing a weak OOC opponent up here.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 10:47 PM

looks pretty full to me

JayJ79
November 29th, 2017, 10:55 PM

although the accurate perception is evidently that FCS teams can only afford outlets on one side of the stadium

- - - Updated - - -

I'm entirely convinced that our out of town alumni leave school and completely forget how to get back to Macomb.

to be fair, Macomb isn't the easiest of towns to get to.

mvemjsunpx
November 29th, 2017, 10:59 PM
looks pretty full to me

If you look close, you can see it's not dense and there's a lot of isolated empty seats. The two end sections look to be less than half full.

caribbeanhen
November 29th, 2017, 11:09 PM
If you look close, you can see it's not dense and there's a lot of isolated empty seats. The two end sections look to be less than half full.

Yes, not packed in like sardines, 75 % full

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Here's the other side as best I could find.

Stadium holds about 17,500. 50% is 8700+

http://visuals.standard.net/2017/11/25/photos-weber-state-defeats-western-illinois-in-playoffs/?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.standard.net%2FWeber-State%2F2017%2F11%2F25%2Fweber-state-football-western-illinois-score-recap-fcs-playoffs-nov-25.html#i-MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-03.JPGhttp://visuals.standard.net/2017/11/25/photos-weber-state-defeats-western-illinois-in-playoffs/?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.standard.net%2FWeber-State%2F2017%2F11%2F25%2Fweber-state-football-western-illinois-score-recap-fcs-playoffs-nov-25.html#i-MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-03.JPG

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2017, 02:10 AM
Here's the other side as best I could find.

Stadium holds about 17,500. 50% is 8700+

http://visuals.standard.net/2017/11/25/photos-weber-state-defeats-western-illinois-in-playoffs/?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.standard.net%2FWeber-State%2F2017%2F11%2F25%2Fweber-state-football-western-illinois-score-recap-fcs-playoffs-nov-25.html#i-MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-03.JPGhttp://visuals.standard.net/2017/11/25/photos-weber-state-defeats-western-illinois-in-playoffs/?returnURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.standard.net%2FWeber-State%2F2017%2F11%2F25%2Fweber-state-football-western-illinois-score-recap-fcs-playoffs-nov-25.html#i-MH-112517-Weber-State-Western-Illinois-03.JPG

Yeah, the officially reported 6876 does look a little low. I'd be real surprised if it was over 10,000, but 8000-9000 seems closer than 7000.

I Bleed Purple
November 30th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Yeah, the officially reported 6876 does look a little low. I'd be real surprised if it was over 10,000, but 8000-9000 seems closer than 7000.

Yeah, 9k seems more likely to me.

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2017, 10:19 AM

That's what I was thinking too. Not huge, but looks like a fairly decent crowd, especially considering 1 week notice of a home game and people off doing holiday things (probably most students gone back home too, so hard to get back for a football game). Better than we would have had if it was at our place, I can assure you.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2017, 11:46 AM
So you're saying Weber St underreported attendance? Thereby getting out of sending a bigger check to the NCAA. Maybe that's one of the reasons why this tournament hemorrhages money and we have to deal with the regionalization bull****.

katss07
November 30th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I feel like lots of teams underreport attendance. I know SHSU does it, and seems to me like McNeese does too.

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I don’t know if this is any longer accurate, but at one point in time it was an NCAA representative assigned to each facility to make sure that under reporting did not occur. It was my understanding that it was always over reporting in the regular season and real reporting for the playoffs. Why would the NCAA allow schools to get away with under reporting and taking money away from them? Wouldn’t that be a violation? Some of these games people are trying to say that they under reported by thousand or 2000 people in attendance which is a lot of ticket money.

katss07
November 30th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Elon having 2000 people at their game this weekend is bull****. They had at least 4k or 5k. Away side was full of FU fans and home side had a decently sized crowd. UNH and Nicholls seem accurate, but seems to me like their was a ton of underreporting last weekend.

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2017, 03:18 PM
I feel like lots of teams underreport attendance. I know SHSU does it, and seems to me like McNeese does too.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it could be that, as fans, we're used to estimating attendance relative to regular season attendance numbers that are artificially inflated at almost every FCS school. It's either that or underreporting because it happens every year that we have fans in attendance at playoff games that say "No way we only had XXXX amount of people there!". If it's underreporting, like Rob said, I can't imagine the NCAA looks too favorably on that... or maybe they just don't care.

If it is underreporting we really only have our own schools to blame then for the over-regionalization of the playoffs. Underreporting by 2000 fans is $30K (at $20 per ticket) in lost revenue by the NCAA. For every 3-4 schools that happens at it's equivalent to a charter flight the NCAA could be paying for.

katss07
November 30th, 2017, 03:23 PM
I mentioned this earlier in the thread but it could be that, as fans, we're used to estimating attendance relative to regular season attendance numbers that are artificially inflated at almost every FCS school. It's either that or underreporting because it happens every year that we have fans in attendance at playoff games that say "No way we only had XXXX amount of people there!". If it's underreporting, like Rob said, I can't imagine the NCAA looks too favorably on that... or maybe they just don't care.

If it is underreporting we really only have our own schools to blame then for the over-regionalization of the playoffs. Underreporting by 2000 fans is $30K (at $20 per ticket) in lost revenue by the NCAA. For every 3-4 schools that happens at it's equivalent to a charter flight the NCAA could be paying for.
A flight that could help end regionalization!

Professor Chaos
November 30th, 2017, 03:27 PM
A flight that could help end regionalization!
At some point yes. I realize the counter-argument is that the NCAA is swimming in cash with their lucrative men's basketball tournament TV contract that could easily subsidize losses from the FCS championship but if host institutions are underreporting playoff attendance we're basically cutting our own legs out from under us in terms of trying to convince the NCAA to run a real tournament.

Daytripper
November 30th, 2017, 03:46 PM
At some point yes. I realize the counter-argument is that the NCAA is swimming in cash with their lucrative men's basketball tournament TV contract that could easily subsidize losses from the FCS championship but if host institutions are underreporting playoff attendance we're basically cutting our own legs out from under us in terms of trying to convince the NCAA to run a real tournament.

Enough with your damn logic!!

mvemjsunpx
November 30th, 2017, 10:14 PM

I'm not sure regular-season attendance is so much artificially inflated as it is how season tickets are handled. At most (all?) schools, season-tickets count whether the holders actually show up or not, but all those tickets have to be re-bought for each playoff round. As a result, season-ticket holders who didn't bother to show up in the regular season aren't even buying those tickets in the postseason.

JSUSoutherner
November 30th, 2017, 10:15 PM
So word on the street is we're expecting a sellout...

or damn close to one.

katss07
November 30th, 2017, 10:26 PM
SHSU should have somewhere between 10k and 13k Saturday.

cx500d
November 30th, 2017, 10:31 PM
SHSU should have somewhere between 10k and 13k Saturday.
But how many will be at the game?

katss07
December 1st, 2017, 06:45 AM
But how many will be at the game?
Oh, I don’t know. Probably 11,000 with some change. Tickets are getting sold quickly. There are a good amount of visitors section seats left, but those won’t fill up much more. I’m expecting a great crowd by Sam Houston standards.

BEAR
December 1st, 2017, 09:00 AM
We aren't selling any great amount of tickets....our Athletic department thinks advertising on Facebook to people who already follow them is advertising. Sorry UNH fans, we're pathetic when it comes GETTING crowds out. Ask any of our opponents. xsmhx

Cocky
December 1st, 2017, 09:08 AM
So word on the street is we're expecting a sellout...

or damn close to one.

Ill bet the word on the street is wrong. We will have 12-15,000 people in seats. May have more tickets sold but not in attendance.

I hope Im wrong but my rosiest outlook would be 18,000.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 1st, 2017, 09:15 AM
We aren't selling any great amount of tickets....our Athletic department thinks advertising on Facebook to people who already follow them is advertising. Sorry UNH fans, we're pathetic when it comes GETTING crowds out. Ask any of our opponents. xsmhx

No need to apologize to us....we're in the North east where college football takes a back seat to, well, everything.
Do your students attend?

BEAR
December 1st, 2017, 09:29 AM
No need to apologize to us....we're in the North east where college football takes a back seat to, well, everything.
Do your students attend?

If you offer them a chance to win money, have a beauty pagent at halftime that involves sorors and frats, or if the game is held on a Thursday. UCA is about 12k students with 9k commuting...so I can say with confidence you won't see many there Saturday.

Update: I went to the uca ticket page to look at what tickets have been sold already. From what I can see the lower level home side has about 900 tickets sold ($40 tickets). The upper level middle section is sold out ($40 tickets) and probably seats 1000. It won't show me how many general admission tickets sold because those seats are not numbered but I'd think 2000 ($20 tickets). So I'd say on the home side you will probably have 4,000. BUT most people tend to be walk up buyers on game day so add another 2,000 to that on the home side. Total 6k likely. AWAY side might have 500 - 1000. Not bad for a program that gets NO advertising and no coverage on TV/radio.

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2017, 11:49 AM
Ill bet the word on the street is wrong. We will have 12-15,000 people in seats. May have more tickets sold but not in attendance.

I hope Im wrong but my rosiest outlook would be 18,000.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's wrong. But I think 18k is low end.

I'd be happy with 21-22k. That's about what we had for UTC a couple years ago.

katss07
December 1st, 2017, 03:35 PM
If you offer them a chance to win money, have a beauty pagent at halftime that involves sorors and frats, or if the game is held on a Thursday. UCA is about 12k students with 9k commuting...so I can say with confidence you won't see many there Saturday.

Update: I went to the uca ticket page to look at what tickets have been sold already. From what I can see the lower level home side has about 900 tickets sold ($40 tickets). The upper level middle section is sold out ($40 tickets) and probably seats 1000. It won't show me how many general admission tickets sold because those seats are not numbered but I'd think 2000 ($20 tickets). So I'd say on the home side you will probably have 4,000. BUT most people tend to be walk up buyers on game day so add another 2,000 to that on the home side. Total 6k likely. AWAY side might have 500 - 1000. Not bad for a program that gets NO advertising and no coverage on TV/radio.

UCA needs to get on this. It is a serious issue if a team this good can’t get at least 8,000 for a Second Round Playoffs game. SHSU has really stepped it up recently. Better radio signal, advertising, commercials, better gameday atmosphere. It has really helped attendance. I think we should have a great crowd this weekend, but UCA should have one just as good. And why are the Thursday night games popular among students? Seems like a bad time.

th0m
December 1st, 2017, 03:46 PM
JMU sports twitter reports there should be a new playoff attendance record at JMU, so that would mean more than 16k at a minimum (JMU-Montana in '08)

katss07
December 1st, 2017, 03:59 PM
JMU sports twitter reports there should be a new playoff attendance record at JMU, so that would mean more than 16k at a minimum (JMU-Montana in '08)
Awesome! Good for the Dukes. Hope SB beats them like Montana did that night years ago...

Really though, this looks good for the FCS. With JSU and NDSU having more than 18,000 most likely, that is very gpod.

BEAR
December 1st, 2017, 04:19 PM
And why are the Thursday night games popular among students? Seems like a bad time.

Thursday night if I remember correctly, is frat/soror party night. They go home on Fridays. They go to games on that night because of the hook up afterwards and drinking before, during, and afterwards. Everyone scores on Thursdays!

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 12:14 AM
Attendance for the 2nd round games:

Furman @ Wofford: 5,153
Stony Brook @ JMU: 16,449
Kennesaw St @ JSU: 17,412
UNI @ SDSU: 7,815
South Dakota @ SHSU: 4,401
New Hampshire @ UCA: 6,243
San Diego @ NDSU: 18,067
Weber St @ SUU: 11,811

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 12:29 AM

NDSU didn't have a sell out, right?

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 12:34 AM
NDSU didn't have a sell out, right?

Dewey
Nope, don't believe so. Was close but no cigar. I believe a playoff sellout at NDSU would be around 18,300 because they dont count the band and some university suites in that.

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2017, 12:39 AM

That Sam Houston number is shocking. I’m also a little surprised by the in-state rivalry in South Carolina.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 07:34 AM

Weber St @ SUU: 11,8117,800 at SDSU? I hope those clowns make the finals, it will free some tickets up for Frisco. The weather was beautiful yesterday, they had a conference rival game in the playoffs and get 7,800. Sad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 07:43 AM
7,800 at SDSU? I hope those clowns make the finals, it will free some tickets up for Frisco. The weather was beautiful yesterday, they had a conference rival game in the playoffs and get 7,800. Sad.

If both teams make it to Frisco, the %s would probably be 85% Bison.

xnodx

kalm
December 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM
That Sam Houston number is shocking. I’m also a little surprised by the in-state rivalry in South Carolina.

Yeah, I remember Sam fans bragging about their attendance and I always had to point out that even EWU out-drew them.

Furman and Wofford have like 280 undergrads combined and Clemson was playing in the championship game so that makes their number more understandable.

Nice job by SUU.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 08:13 AM
If both teams make it to Frisco, the %s would probably be 85% Bison.

xnodxThe Jack fans can't even travel to Brookings to a game, how the hell are they going to find Frisco. I would guess that would be the split, JMU would have better representation than SDSU down there.

ASU33
December 3rd, 2017, 10:41 AM

Yeah those numbers were disappointing!

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 10:48 AM
First glance at the stands of the Sammy game was real bad, all seats

cx500d
December 3rd, 2017, 11:14 AM
First glance at the stands of the Sammy game was real bad, all seats

They took offense to a post like that in the South Dakota Sammy thread, despite being obvious and the officially reported numbers.

katss07
December 3rd, 2017, 12:10 PM
**** turnout yesterday in Huntsville. Granted, it was a second round game, but more should have shown up. Students are the issue here. They never show up to games. The few who did were loud and proud, but only about 300 of them.

The home side had a good crowd. 4/5ths full I would say. Aside from the seating closest to the end zones, it was pretty full. Most were alumni, fans or locals. The away side (side camera faces) had one section full, another half full, and the rest were wastelands.

Credit where credit is due though, the fans who were there ran a good tailgate and were loud and proud during the game. Nearly the whole home side stood up during kicks and it got loud on third downs. Also, I am glad fans stayed until the finish. During the USD run when the visiting fans were yelling “lets go yotes” our crowd responded with boos louder than I have ever heard at a Sam game. Crowd also gave the refs crap. Good sense of pride from the people who showed up. Louder than I have heard Bowers in a few years, especially on that last 4th down that USD failed to convert on that sealed the deal.

I would expect a much better crowd next weekend just because it is a quarterfinal game, but if we fail to advertise and get students involved, it will not be a much larger crowd. I hope there will be 12k, but 9k is much more reasonable. Our AD sucks, and until he leaves, we will have to settle for 8-9k at big games. Really sucks.

Serpentor
December 3rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
SHSU students are absolutely worthless human smegma. I hope they all fail their finals.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM
Here's the breakdown of attendance compared to regular season averages.

Southern Utah: 130% (11,811 - season average: 9,084)
NDSU: 97.1% (18,067 - season average: 18,607)
Jacksonville St: 93.7% (17,412 - season average: 18,583)
Wofford: 76.5% (5,153 - season average: 6,736)
Central Arkansas: 69.3% (6,243 - season average: 9,012)
JMU: 66.2% (16,449 - season average: 24,841)
SHSU: 58.3% (4,401 - season average: 7,543)
SDSU: 56.6% (7,815 - season average: 13,808)

cx500d
December 3rd, 2017, 12:37 PM
Here's the breakdown of attendance compared to regular season averages.

Southern Utah: 130% (11,811 - season average: 9,084)
NDSU: 97.1% (18,067 - season average: 18,607)
Jacksonville St: 93.7% (17,412 - season average: 18,583)
Wofford: 76.5% (5,153 - season average: 6,736)
Central Arkansas: 69.3% (6,243 - season average: 9,012)
JMU: 66.2% (16,449 - season average: 24,841)
SHSU: 58.3% (4,401 - season average: 7,543)
SDSU: 56.6% (7,815 - season average: 13,808)

Sad....Southern Utah was the only overachiever...They probably had some help from Weber.

katss07
December 3rd, 2017, 12:44 PM
SHSU, JMU and NDSU should all pass season averages next weekend. No clue about SDSU.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
SHSU, JMU and NDSU should all pass season averages next weekend. No clue about SDSU.
NDSU can't really. I think in the regular season the band counts towards attendance whereas in the playoffs they don't. There's only 18,700 seats in the Fargodome and they can usually sell a couple hundred standing room but generally the highest NDSU has every gotten in playoff attendance is in the 18,500 range because of the "non-counters" in the playoffs and that's all the building can hold.

Given how poorly SDSU did this week with gorgeous weather for early December I can't imagine it'll be any better next week with forecasted temps 20-25 degrees cooler (mid-40s yesterday, mid-20s forecasted next weekend).

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2017, 12:51 PM
7,800 at SDSU? I hope those clowns make the finals, it will free some tickets up for Frisco. The weather was beautiful yesterday, they had a conference rival game in the playoffs and get 7,800. Sad.

Why are you shocked. I've been saying this all week.

Whats real sad is that 7,800 is damn near a sellout for the Yoties. Our playoff attendance appears to be trending upward each time we get a playoff game, which is good, I guess.

2012 -- 4,000ish
2016 -- 6,000ish
2017 -- 8,000ish

PurpleStreamers
December 3rd, 2017, 12:54 PM

Don't think JMU will make it that high for a 7 p.m. Friday nighter but will be bigger than this week. Students should be better this week.

cx500d
December 3rd, 2017, 01:00 PM
Don't think JMU will make it that high for a 7 p.m. Friday nighter but will be bigger than this week. Students should be better this week.

I thought you guys were packed last year for that cold ass Friday night game.

katss07
December 3rd, 2017, 01:07 PM
They were. I fully expect JMU and SHSU to get bigger crowds compared to this weekends. NDSU is in a tought spot. SDSU doesn’t draw well, kind of like Sam. Although SHSU has the ability to get a good crowd. I would expect something like 8k for next weekend.

PantherRob82
December 3rd, 2017, 01:22 PM
**** turnout yesterday in Huntsville. Granted, it was a second round game, but more should have shown up. Students are the issue here. They never show up to games. The few who did were loud and proud, but only about 300 of them.

The home side had a good crowd. 4/5ths full I would say. Aside from the seating closest to the end zones, it was pretty full. Most were alumni, fans or locals. The away side (side camera faces) had one section full, another half full, and the rest were wastelands.

Credit where credit is due though, the fans who were there ran a good tailgate and were loud and proud during the game. Nearly the whole home side stood up during kicks and it got loud on third downs. Also, I am glad fans stayed until the finish. During the USD run when the visiting fans were yelling “lets go yotes” our crowd responded with boos louder than I have ever heard at a Sam game. Crowd also gave the refs crap. Good sense of pride from the people who showed up. Louder than I have heard Bowers in a few years, especially on that last 4th down that USD failed to convert on that sealed the deal.

I would expect a much better crowd next weekend just because it is a quarterfinal game, but if we fail to advertise and get students involved, it will not be a much larger crowd. I hope there will be 12k, but 9k is much more reasonable. Our AD sucks, and until he leaves, we will have to settle for 8-9k at big games. Really sucks.

Your fans boo when the visiting fans cheer? I’ve never heard of that before at any level. Usually the home fans try to cheer louder to drown them out. Hmm.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 01:39 PM
SHSU students are absolutely worthless human smegma. I hope they all fail their finals.

Oh come on don't hold back tell us how you really feel xlolx

th0m
December 3rd, 2017, 01:44 PM

Last years shsu game drew about 15k, but those that were there were loud. Same with yesterdays crowd.

Grizzlies82
December 3rd, 2017, 01:57 PM

I would guess that is a record crowd for any game played at So. Utah's little stadium. If not, it must be close to it.
Weber must have sent a good crowd of fans down the Interstate.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 02:24 PM

Its going to be NUTS.

Next week will be even better xlolx

Though it sure looked like more than 7,800 to me, even Zimmer was skeptical about that number.

I'm not sure regular-season attendance is so much artificially inflated as it is how season tickets are handled. At most (all?) schools, season-tickets count whether the holders actually show up or not, but all those tickets have to be re-bought for each playoff round. As a result, season-ticket holders who didn't bother to show up in the regular season aren't even buying those tickets in the postseason.
I’m 99% sure in the regular season SDSU counts actual butts in seats season tickets or no.

I hope we make it to Frisco too. Then you guys will get to actually be playing us while you bitch about us xcoffeex

kdinva
December 3rd, 2017, 05:14 PM

really thought Furman @ Wofford would have been about 10,000.........players deserved that atmosphere...

Schism55
December 3rd, 2017, 06:18 PM
I would guess that is a record crowd for any game played at So. Utah's little stadium. If not, it must be close to it.
Weber must have sent a good crowd of fans down the Interstate.
You are correct. They showed a graphic that mentioned it was biggest crowd ever for a game there.

APaladindad
December 3rd, 2017, 06:44 PM
really thought Furman @ Wofford would have been about 10,000.........players deserved that atmosphere...
Furman did it's part! The visitor stands were packed and the scoreboard end zone had a lot of purple.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQFAwqCVQAAYmfw.jpg

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2017, 09:00 PM
I'm still surprised NDSU didn't sell out when regular season games would sell out in minutes.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
I'm still surprised NDSU didn't sell out when regular season games would sell out in minutes.

And yet NDSU fans can’t comprehend how other schools struggle for playoff attendance when they have dramatic shifts in their own playoff attendance (comparatively speaking)

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2017, 09:40 PM
Next week will be even better xlolx

Though it sure looked like more than 7,800 to me, even Zimmer was skeptical about that number.

I’m 99% sure in the regular season SDSU counts actual butts in seats season tickets or no.

I hope we make it to Frisco too. Then you guys will get to actually be playing us while you bitch about us xcoffeex

The thing that was weird about attendance in yesterday’s game was that there was a pretty small crowd on the west side of the stadium. Almost felt like there could have been more fans on the east side. I bet a lot of season ticket holders opted out of their more expensive seats on the west side for less expensive tickets on the east side knowing they’ll likely be able to move toward the middle and be in the sun.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 09:40 PM
And yet NDSU fans can’t comprehend how other schools struggle for playoff attendance when they have dramatic shifts in their own playoff attendance (comparatively speaking)

Less than 600 fans (or roughly 3% of the Fargodome capacity) is a dramatic shift? Must be "SDSU fans" logic...

Last year the 2nd round game with San Diego drew 18,305. The year before the Montana playoff game drew 18,233. 18,067 yesterday isn't anything to get all worked up about.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:41 PM
The thing that was weird about attendance in yesterday’s game was that there was a pretty small crowd on the west side of the stadium. Almost felt like there could have been more fans on the east side. I bet a lot of season ticket holders opted out of their more expensive seats on the west side for less expensive tickets on the east side knowing they’ll likely be able to move toward the middle and be in the sun.

Personally knew of a couple of people who did that. I still feel like it wasn’t 6k less than Hobo Day, but that’s just me.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:42 PM
Less than 600 fans (or roughly 3% of the Fargodome capacity) is a dramatic shift? Must be "SDSU fans" logic....

Selling out in minutes to not even achieving a sellout with two weeks to sell tickets is a pretty dramatic shift. Must be NDSU logic to not see that

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2017, 09:46 PM
Less than 600 fans (or roughly 3% of the Fargodome capacity) is a dramatic shift? Must be "SDSU fans" logic....

Remember when he said “comparably speaking”?

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 09:50 PM
Selling out in minutes to not even achieving a sellout with two weeks to sell tickets is a pretty dramatic shift. Must be NDSU logic to not see that

They sold tickets out twice. First was on Selection Sunday when single game tickets went on sale. Then again on Monday 11/26 (although it took a couple days) when unclaimed season tickets went on sale. What was left unsold was the few returned visitor tickets and unused player/staff tickets that didn't go on sale until the day before the game. Like I said in my last post it was within 250 of the 2nd round attendance each of the last two years.

Since you seem awful concerned about it single game tickets for the Wofford game sold out in minutes this evening when they went on sale. How's SDSU doing?

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:55 PM
They sold tickets out twice. First was on Selection Sunday when single game tickets went on sale. Then again on Monday 11/26 (although it took a couple days) when unclaimed season tickets went on sale. What was left unsold was the few returned visitor tickets and unused player/staff tickets. Like I said in my last post it was within 250 of the 2nd round attendance each of the last two years.

Since you seem awful concerned about it single game tickets for the Wofford game sold out in minutes this evening when they went on sale. How's SDSU doing?

As poor as usual. To get as defensive as you are about this is funny, don’t like having your hypocrisy shown to you huh? Comparatively speaking to go from a sellout within minutes and not a sellout after two weeks would be struggling. And don’t try to get me with how quick this one supposedly sold out. I live in Fargo and heard your propaganda guys telling folks there were still tickets available late in the week on the radio. This isn’t a dig on your attendance, just your incredible lack of self awareness and monstrous egos.

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2017, 09:57 PM
How's SDSU doing?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnfortunateAdorableKodiakbear-size_restricted.gif

Probally a couple hundred tickets sold at the WBB game tonight... so... yeeeeaah.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 10:01 PM
are you telling me the Fargodome didn't sell out? this is the biggest secret on AGS

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 10:03 PM
As poor as usual. To get as defensive as you are about this is funny, don’t like having your hypocrisy shown to you huh? Comparatively speaking to go from a sellout within minutes and not a sellout after two weeks would be struggling. And don’t try to get me with how quick this one supposedly sold out. I live in Fargo and heard your propaganda guys telling folks there were still tickets available late in the week on the radio. This isn’t a dig on your attendance, just your incredible lack of self awareness and monstrous egos.

Whatever man... keep clinging to the fact that it didn't sell out instantly. What plenty of bitching Bisonvillers didn't realize is that it's never been difficult to get face value playoff tickets in the 2nd round games. It didn't worry me one bit that it wasn't a complete sellout... I just chuckled at the Bison fans that were getting worked up over it. It'll be another 18,000+ this Saturday regardless of whether they, God forbid, don't sell a couple hundred tickets released the day before the game.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 10:09 PM
Whatever man... keep clinging to the fact that it didn't sell out instantly. What plenty of bitching Bisonvillers didn't realize is that it's never been difficult to get face value playoff tickets in the 2nd round games. It didn't worry me one bit that it wasn't a complete sellout... I just chuckled at the Bison fans that were getting worked up over it. It'll be another 18,000+ regardless of whether they, God forbid, don't sell a couple hundred tickets released the day before the game.

I......don’t think your understanding what I’m saying here. Not shocked. If you don’t kiss NDSUs ass then it has to be an attack. If you can’t see that it’s a big shift from your regular season sales just like happens for other teams then that’s on you.

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2017, 10:14 PM
Whatever man... keep clinging to the fact that it didn't sell out instantly. What plenty of bitching Bisonvillers didn't realize is that it's never been difficult to get face value playoff tickets in the 2nd round games. It didn't worry me one bit that it wasn't a complete sellout... I just chuckled at the Bison fans that were getting worked up over it. It'll be another 18,000+ this Saturday regardless of whether they, God forbid, don't sell a couple hundred tickets released the day before the game.

A lot of idiots on parade at BV these days.
I cant believe the heat ache some of those goobers have over not selling the game out. Open tailgate spots. Etc etc. JFC

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 10:14 PM
I......don’t think your understanding what I’m saying here. Not shocked. If you don’t kiss NDSUs ass then it has to be an attack. If you can’t see that it’s a big shift from your regular season sales just like happens for other teams then that’s on you.

Oh, I get what you're saying. Hopefully it makes you feel better about SDSU's attendance struggles in the playoffs.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 10:15 PM
Oh, I get what you're saying. Hopefully it makes you feel better about SDSU's attendance struggles.

FYP

POD Knows
December 4th, 2017, 09:40 AM
A lot of idiots on parade at BV these days.
I cant believe the heat ache some of those goobers have over not selling the game out. Open tailgate spots. Etc etc. JFCThe tailgate has gotten significantly worse since more of the area west of the rain forest went reserved, lots of open spots over there all the time. It used to be tough just to get a couple spots over there even getting in line 3 hours before the gates opened.

Bisonoline
December 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM
The tailgate has gotten significantly worse since more of the area west of the rain forest went reserved, lots of open spots over there all the time. It used to be tough just to get a couple spots over there even getting in line 3 hours before the gates opened.

My bet is we lost the tailgaters who didnt have tickets. They have nothing vested except to party. Later on in the season they just go to the bars when it gets cold.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 04:38 PM
The tailgate has gotten significantly worse since more of the area west of the rain forest went reserved, lots of open spots over there all the time. It used to be tough just to get a couple spots over there even getting in line 3 hours before the gates opened.

the rain forest? I live west of one but never knew Fargo had the climate for one

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 06:29 PM
the rain forest? I live west of one but never knew Fargo had the climate for one

Its called El Funque there.

POD Knows
December 5th, 2017, 08:34 AM
the rain forest? I live west of one but never knew Fargo had the climate for oneLOL, it is that row of tree that separates the "west" side tailgating lot. We also have a man made drainage ditch there is one of the many man made elevations changes in the city of Fargo http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26691&stc=1

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2017, 08:41 AM
LOL, it is that row of tree that separates the "west" side tailgating lot. We also have a man made drainage ditch there is one of the many man made elevations changes in the city of Fargo http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26691&stc=1

nice view and cheap real estate POD.... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26692&stc=1

POD Knows
December 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM
My bet is we lost the tailgaters who didnt have tickets. They have nothing vested except to party. Later on in the season they just go to the bars when it gets cold.I noticed that when the NW "quarter" first when reserved that there were a lot of empty spots even in nice weather. When we used to tailgate over there when that whole side was GA, it seemed packed all the time, except towards the end of the year when the weather set in, but we have had great weather this year and I have been over there and it seems like it is about 2/3's full and then people will drive in about an hour before the game and park in their "reserved" spot. I think more people are using it for parking now then before because nobody wanted to wait three hours in line and then another 5 tailgating when now, they own the reserved spot and just use it for hassle free parking.

I am for whatever makes the most money for the program while at the same time enhances the experience and we still have the best tailgate in FCS I think.

OhioHen
December 5th, 2017, 08:56 AM
And why are the Thursday night games popular among students? Seems like a bad time.

On Thursday, the commuter students are already on campus. Stay for the game and party.

On Saturday, it's an extra trip. For many that qualifies as "why bother?"

cx500d
December 5th, 2017, 09:18 PM
nice view and cheap real estate POD.... http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26692&stc=1

Plus they got all the monkey meat vendors on the road up!

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Plus they got all the monkey meat vendors on the road up!

stray dogs don't come within 500 yards of those Pincho stands

one_armed_man
December 6th, 2017, 11:07 AM
*Total 6k likely*

Looks like you damn near nailed it.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Quarterfinal attendance:

Weber St @ James Madison: 13,490 (54.3% of their regular season average of 24,841)
Wofford @ NDSU: 17,008 (91.4% of their regular season average of 18,607)
New Hampshire @ SDSU: 5,583 (40.4% of their regular season average of 13,808)
Kennesaw St @ SHSU: 5,725 (75.9% of their regular season average of 7,543)

I have to apologize to Thumper, he was right about playoff fan apathy hitting NDSU too. That's NDSU's lowest attended home playoff game since Thanksgiving weekend 2010 (which spans 20 games). I don't have an explanation for it but hoping that our fans realize that there's an even bigger game this Friday and get the place sold out and rocking like the players' efforts deserve.

caribbeanhen
December 10th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Quarterfinal attendance:

Weber St @ James Madison: 13,490 (54.3% of their regular season average of 24,841)

I have to apologize to Thumper, he was right about playoff fan apathy hitting NDSU too. That's NDSU's lowest attended home playoff game since Thanksgiving weekend 2010 (which spans 20 games). I don't have an explanation for it but hoping that our fans realize that there's an even bigger game this Friday and get the place sold out and rocking like the players' efforts deserve.

it's surprising to hear the bison games are not sold out (no smack intended)

SoDakSA
December 10th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Quarterfinal attendance:

What is the breakdown of ticket holders from the Fargo area versus someone that has to drive 1+ hours? Perhaps for some of those fans it is easier, and cheaper, to watch the game on ESPN? Is the fan base getting to the point where the Second and Third rounds just don't matter as much?

As a Jacks fan, we would need at least one more home game just to reach 17k.

footballer23
December 10th, 2017, 02:15 PM
it's surprising to hear the bison games are not sold out (no smack intended)

I wonder if there were some people who just assumed it was sold out and decided not to even try to get tickets.

katss07
December 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM
NO WAY! No way there were 5k at the SHSU vs KSU game. More like 8k.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2017, 02:49 PM
What is the breakdown of ticket holders from the Fargo area versus someone that has to drive 1+ hours? Perhaps for some of those fans it is easier, and cheaper, to watch the game on ESPN? Is the fan base getting to the point where the Second and Third rounds just don't matter as much?

As a Jacks fan, we would need at least one more home game just to reach 17k.
There's a lot of out of town NDSU season ticket holders but, at the risk of sounding cocky, most seasoned Bison fans should expect home playoff games in early December given the last 7 years.

I just think we're just getting spoiled as a fan base and that the average fans that were attracted to NDSU during the title runs take for granted that this hosting 3 playoff games every year is not easy and not our birthright as a program.

It pisses me off more than a little bit because I remember how hard it was to get home playoff games in the D2 days (first home playoff game in the Fargodome wasn't until 2010 over 17 years after if opened), how much I wished those good Bison teams from the D1 transition were allowed to compete in the playoffs, and how rough the bad years like the 3-8 2009 season was when they were playoff eligible.

I've been to every home playoff game in the history of the Fargodome (which, like I said, only goes back to 2010) and honestly I can't imagine wanting to do anything else if I had the option to be at the game in person and really participate in making the Fargodome the advantage it is for the Bison. Then again, I am a "fanatic".

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2017, 02:57 PM
I wonder if there were some people who just assumed it was sold out and decided not to even try to get tickets.
This is possible as well but would be no less frustrating. Tickets were sold out from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday morning last week but from Wednesday at 8AM on tickets were available to anyone with a pulse and/or an internet connection that wanted to buy them.

Whether it's apathy or ignorance/laziness it's still not a good trend.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM
This is possible as well but would be no less frustrating. Tickets were sold out from Sunday afternoon to Wednesday morning last week but from Wednesday at 8AM on tickets were available to anyone with a pulse and/or an internet connection that wanted to buy them.

11 am start might have something to do with it. I think Izzo said there has been something like 63 homes games since '10...xeekx....maybe some apathy but hopefully it is not a trend.

cx500d
December 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
NO WAY! No way there were 5k at the SHSU vs KSU game. More like 8k.

Seems like I've heard this before....

katss07
December 10th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Seems like I've heard this before....
You might have, but this was clearly underreporting. Home side 90% full, away side 50% full. Stadium seats 13k. That puts it in the 7k to 8k range. If yoy saw the crowd, yoy would realize that too.

cx500d
December 10th, 2017, 03:54 PM
You might have, but this was clearly underreporting. Home side 90% full, away side 50% full. Stadium seats 13k. That puts it in the 7k to 8k range. If yoy saw the crowd, yoy would realize that too.

I guess you have ~ 5000 witnesses too

th0m
December 10th, 2017, 04:28 PM
Looked like a decent amount of visiting fans in Huntsville too. Nice to see from such a young program.

frozennorth
December 10th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I know several people who would have gone had they known they could get tickets

cx500d
December 10th, 2017, 06:39 PM

Are these numbers for asses in seats, or sold tickets (which may not result in an ass in seat?)

Bisonoline
December 10th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Why didnt you tell them tickets were available?

frozennorth
December 10th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Why didnt you tell them tickets were available?
i didn't know and had to work so I hadn't talked to anyone about it anyway

footballer23
December 10th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Same here. I'd heard that there were a few available and I told people to see if they were available, but I had no idea how many were left. Bearkat fans: any idea if you'll have any sort of contingent on Friday?

footballer23
December 10th, 2017, 07:26 PM

Completely agree, really hoping that it's a anomaly and not a trend. Hopefully word will get out this week that there were empty seats last week.

Katfan
December 10th, 2017, 07:55 PM
Same here. I'd heard that there were a few available and I told people to see if they were available, but I had no idea how many were left. Bearkat fans: any idea if you'll have any sort of contingent on Friday?
Not sure. Usually the school sends the band then we might have 100 or 200 but no more than that.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Nice turnout for the semifinals.

SHSU @ NDSU: 18,279 (98.2% of their regular season average of 18,607)
SDSU @ JMU: 16,528 (66.5% of their regular season average of 24,841 - although an attendance record for a JMU playoff game I believe)

And also for the Celebration Bowl (NC A&T vs Grambling): 16,701

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Nice turnout for the semifinals.

And also for the Celebration Bowl (NC A&T vs Grambling): 16,701

Good thing they played in a 70,000 seat stadium.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2017, 09:58 PM
I found the attendance numbers for all the FCS playoff games dating back to 2013 when they expanded the field to 24 teams and, despite some lackluster turnouts, 2017 has already placed itself at #2 of those 5 years with 203,631 fans in attendance with Frisco still to go. However, we're not going to catch 2015 which had 258,971 in total attendance but still a positive trend nonetheless as attendance should be up almost 20,000 (or 10%) from 2016. The better these numbers get the more likely we are to get an actually tournament with more seeding and less regionalization.

Here's the breakdown round by round for the last 5 years.

Year

Total

Avg

1st round avg

2nd round avg

Quarters avg

Semis avg

Title game
N/A

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Good thing they played in a 70,000 seat stadium.
Odd thing is you have the @CelebrationBowl official twitter handle and @HBCUGameday reporting a different number than what STATS and the ESPN box score have.

https://twitter.com/CelebrationBowl/status/942210792295944192

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/942149058403160064

Maybe that goes to show some of the fuzzy math used to calculate attendance for college football. That 25k number is a full 50% higher than what the ESPN box score says.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Odd thing is you have the @CelebrationBowl official twitter handle and @HBCUGameday reporting a different number than what STATS and the ESPN box score have.

https://twitter.com/CelebrationBowl/status/942210792295944192

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/942149058403160064

Maybe that goes to show some of the fuzzy math used to calculate attendance for college football. That 25k number is a full 50% higher than what the ESPN box score says.

#FakeNews

Schism55
December 16th, 2017, 11:16 PM
One look at that game tells you no way in hell there were 25k people there.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 11:24 PM
One look at that game tells you no way in hell there were 25k people there.

Another post said they were all at the concession stands or maybe the bathrooms

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Another post said they were all at the concession stands or maybe the bathrooms

I mean Chic-Fil-A was open so there is always that...

Cocky
December 17th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I found the attendance numbers for all the FCS playoff games dating back to 2013 when they expanded the field to 24 teams and, despite some lackluster turnouts, 2017 has already placed itself at #2 of those 5 years with 203,631 fans in attendance with Frisco still to go. However, we're not going to catch 2015 which had 258,971 in total attendance but still a positive trend nonetheless as attendance should be up almost 20,000 (or 10%) from 2016. The better these numbers get the more likely we are to get an actually tournament with more seeding and less regionalization.

Here's the breakdown round by round for the last 5 years.

Year

Total

Avg

1st round avg

2nd round avg

Quarters avg

Semis avg

Title game
N/A

We may suck most years but a JSU deep run is good for attendance.

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Frisco attendance was 19,090 which is starting to get back up into the numbers it was at before the stadium renovations. Hopefully when the stadium renovation is done and they add the club section above the endzone seats we can get the game back closer to 20k. Regardless though 2017 had 222,721 fans attend the 23 playoff games which, as long as my numbers are right, is good for the 2nd highest total attendance amongst the 5 years since the field was expanded to 24 teams (only 2015 at 258,971 was higher).

Year

Total

Avg

1st round avg

2nd round avg

Quarters avg

Semis avg

Title game

Derby City Duke
January 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Frisco attendance was 19,090 which is starting to get back up into the numbers it was at before the stadium renovations. Hopefully when the stadium renovation is done and they add the club section above the endzone seats we can get the game back closer to 20k. Regardless though 2017 had 222,721 fans attend the 23 playoff games which, as long as my numbers are right, is good for the 2nd highest total attendance amongst the 5 years since the field was expanded to 24 teams (only 2015 at 258,971 was higher).

Year

Total

Avg

1st round avg

2nd round avg

Quarters avg

Semis avg

Title game

The optics on the crowd shots Saturday were all really good. I don't remember seeing a shot with fan dead zones. How were the SRO areas? Was the south concourse open above the end zone chair back seats?

Professor Chaos
January 8th, 2018, 10:14 AM
The optics on the crowd shots Saturday were all really good. I don't remember seeing a shot with fan dead zones. How were the SRO areas? Was the south concourse open above the end zone chair back seats?
South concourse wasn't open above the new seats but from what I noticed there was a ton of people standing on the east and north concourses. It seemed like the NCAA sold a ton of SRO seats last Tuesday and it showed by the number of people standing and the fact that SRO seats were being practically given away on Flash Seats late last week. I wouldn't doubt if there was about 1,000 people there with SRO tickets and more than that were sold and just ended up unused.

NDSUtk
January 8th, 2018, 10:49 PM

Year

Total

Avg

1st round avg

2nd round avg

Quarters avg

Semis avg

Title game

According to Craig Haley, this year had 285,746 which is the record.

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/949772633645740033

JMUNJ08
January 9th, 2018, 12:15 AM

That’s 12K a game which given early round venues is laughable. Probably SWAC Championship (66k) and/ or Celebration Bowl (25k) figured in? Otherwise the NCAA should use his math and not ESPN box scores

Professor Chaos
January 9th, 2018, 04:33 PM

That’s 12K a game which given early round venues is laughable. Probably SWAC Championship (66k) and/ or Celebration Bowl (25k) figured in? Otherwise the NCAA should use his math and not ESPN box scores
Yeah.... pretty sure that number Haley tweeted is wrong.

This is what I had for all the raw numbers for each game... not doubting I could've fat fingered one or three of them but I highly doubt that would've caused a 63k difference.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4697/24735119777_68709eba15_b.jpg

mvemjsunpx
January 9th, 2018, 06:39 PM

The Bayou Classic was the one with 66k (actually closer to 67k), while the SWAC Championship was the one with 25k and the Celebration Bowl had just 17k. At any rate, those wouldn't make things add up to Haley's tweeted number.

NDSUtk
January 9th, 2018, 07:05 PM
NCAA apparently corrected their number. PC was right. Math is hard for the NCAA I guess.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180109194719964961604&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Professor
January 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM
North Dakota State’s 17-13 victory over James Madison in the Football Championship Subdivision game Saturday, Jan. 6 drew an average of 1.515 million viewers between 11 a.m. and 2:18 p.m. Central, when the game ended on ESPN2. That’s the highest television ratings a Bison national championship game has drawn in their six appearances in Frisco, Texas.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2018/01/09/win-over-james-madison-gets-bison-biggest-title-game-tv-ratings/