PDA

View Full Version : CCSU suspensions

Little Stevie
November 21st, 2017, 04:34 AM
https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Central-Connecticut-Suspends-2-Including-Quarterback-458942793.html

mvemjsunpx
November 21st, 2017, 04:43 AM
Ouch…

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM
This was obviously the work of UNH’s atheltic director.

POD Knows
November 21st, 2017, 07:01 AM
This was obviously the work of UNH’s atheltic director.Who is this Illuminati mother****er anyway??xlolx

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 07:12 AM
Is it too early to say WELCOME TO THE STRIPES UNH?! xeyebrowxxlolx

I'll have some venison chili ready in my tailgate area....(stock photo)

http://www.grit.com/~/media/Images/GRT/Editorial/Blogs/Kate%20M/Venison%20Chili/chili-550.jpg

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2017, 07:17 AM
Do wildcats hunt bears or do bears hunt wildcats?

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 07:25 AM
Neither. They both eat deer.

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
November 21st, 2017, 08:01 AM

Damn! You beat me to it!!!

BomberHarris
November 21st, 2017, 08:12 AM

I got a flat tire this morning. THANKS A LOT SCARANO.

Anthony215
November 21st, 2017, 08:24 AM
Major respect to their HC for suspended these fools on what is the biggest game of the school's history at the FCS level. Many coaches would sweep it under the rug and then wait until the offseason to do a spring suspension.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 08:53 AM
Great season CCStU!

ASU33
November 21st, 2017, 09:06 AM
Wow!

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM

No milk in the fridge this morning? #ThanksScarano

Seriously, this is making my UNH pick in the survivor pool even better

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2017, 09:18 AM
He has got to go!!!

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2017, 09:22 AM
When will the papers in Delaware release an article blaming Scarano for these suspensions?

BomberHarris
November 21st, 2017, 09:32 AM
He has got to go!!!

*Whispers* I heard Scarano was on the Grassy Knoll in Dealey Plaza #ThanksScarano

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2017, 09:33 AM
*Whispers* I heard Scarano was on the Grassy Knoll in Dealey Plaza #ThanksScarano

RIP Bomber. He knows you know.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2017, 09:35 AM
I bet secretly Rocco ratted out the players to the CCSU coach and pointed the finger at Scarano.

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2017, 09:53 AM
I bet secretly Rocco ratted out the players to the CCSU coach and pointed the finger at Scarano.

No, I'm sure he would like nothing better to see UNH knocked out in the first round, why would he do that?

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 11:24 AM
Major respect to their HC for suspended these fools on what is the biggest game of the school's history at the FCS level. Many coaches would sweep it under the rug and then wait until the offseason to do a spring suspension.

Yes, a very principled decision by the head coach, but boy this sucks!

“We have a certain set of standards we hold our players accountable to and unfortunately these two men did not live up to those,” Rossomando said by phone Monday. “We had to unfortunately suspend them and we’re going to have to play this week without them.”
“I had to talk to some different people and at that point for me, it was easy to make it,” Rossomando said. “We have just a certain standard, team rules we have and everybody has to abide by them including our starting quarterback and backup center and they did not. They put me in a situation where I had to make a difficult decision.”
“I don’t think these ever come at a good time but they’re decisions you have to make,” Rossomando said. “These are 18-22 year old young men that you deal with on a daily basis but if you don’t have rules and regulations and standards they have to live by things are going to get out of control and we can’t allow that.”

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM
Absolutely disgusted by our campus Administration and local police. Basically this boils down to an off-campus party (after celebrating the school's first every FCS playoff matchup). The university is having major problems with the surrounding neighborhood in New Britain.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-ccsu-players-suspended-arrest-20171121-story.html

I get the coach had to hold these kids accountable, as a similar incident happened earlier this year for some defensive players. Too bad the police put him in this situation for a second time.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-new-britain-ccsu-football-suspended-0914-20170913-story.html

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 12:32 PM
Seriously, does this kind of ***** happen at any other D-I school?

I'm flabbergasted at the way the local town-university issues are being handled by local police (with some support by university officials).

For some context, CCSU is still generally referred to as a "suitcase school" because of the approximately 12,000 students, only about 3,500 live on campus. However, there is a significant portion that live off-campus in surrounding neighborhoods.

The campus is across the street from a nice neighborhood (Belvedere), but generally New Britain is a dump of a city. It is a former manufacturing city (only about 50K population) known as the former home of Stanley Tools. The public schools system (K-12) is one of the worst in the state, as poverty and non-native English speakers are the majority. Housing is cheap, but the City has no major employers. It is a short ride (or bus line) to Hartford, but that is another American inner-city on the brink of bankruptcy.

Anyway, the whole thing is frustrating for CCSU fans who can never seem to catch a break and feel cursed when it comes to our Athletic program. :(

dwtime
November 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM
Is it too early to say WELCOME TO THE STRIPES UNH?! xeyebrowxxlolx

I'll have some venison chili ready in my tailgate area....(stock photo)

http://www.grit.com/~/media/Images/GRT/Editorial/Blogs/Kate%20M/Venison%20Chili/chili-550.jpg

Damn that looks good, love me some venison and chili!

dwtime
November 21st, 2017, 12:36 PM

My toilet is leaking this morning, thanks Scarano! And I'm a UNH fan!!!

UNH72Plus
November 21st, 2017, 01:02 PM
For what it's worth, one of UNH's top receivers was dismissed from the team earlier in the year. Never saw the specifics for it, but he had had an earlier violation of tem standards.

KPSUL
November 21st, 2017, 01:19 PM
My toilet is leaking this morning, thanks Scarano! And I'm a UNH fan!!!
No way he could have done it! The word is he is down in Alabama bribing women to accuse Roy Moore of sexual misconduct.

- - - Updated - - -

JSUBison
November 21st, 2017, 01:26 PM
Absolutely disgusted by our campus Administration and local police. Basically this boils down to an off-campus party (after celebrating the school's first every FCS playoff matchup). The university is having major problems with the surrounding neighborhood in New Britain.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-ccsu-players-suspended-arrest-20171121-story.html

I get the coach had to hold these kids accountable, as a similar incident happened earlier this year for some defensive players. Too bad the police put him in this situation for a second time.

http://www.courant.com/community/new-britain/hc-new-britain-ccsu-football-suspended-0914-20170913-story.html

Why you going to run a program so strict as to suspend players for getting a loud music ticket? Hope all your players wear their seat belts and come to a complete and full stop at stop signs, coach might start yanking schollies.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 01:45 PM
As a Center you have two jobs....get the ball cleanly to the QB and protect the QB.....as the Back-up center, you have a third job (since you don't have to do the first two in a game unless the starter gets injured) TAKE THE FALL FOR YOUR STARTING QB.....let the dude walk out with the rest of the crowd and pretend he doesn't live there!!!!!! Damn, college kids are not as crafty as they were when I was in school.

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 01:47 PM
Any coach that suspends his players for getting in trouble or breaking the law off campus will NEVER be an SEC level coach. His aspirations die at CCSU. xlolx

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 01:48 PM
Damn that looks good, love me some venison and chili!

If your team wins and you make the trip down...come and get some! xthumbsupx Father in law just got two deer this past weekend. Guess who's stocking up.....xnodx

JayJ79
November 21st, 2017, 02:09 PM

Police are just doing their jobs. But unless there is more to the situation that what was covered in the article, a playoff game suspension seems a bit much for that infraction.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 02:15 PM

This pretty much sucks. But once you bend the rules, then you might as well not have any. Sounds like you need an outreach program targeting the cops.:D

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 02:16 PM
Police are just doing their jobs. But unless there is more to the situation that what was covered in the article, a playoff game suspension seems a bit much for that infraction.

I was thinking the same thing. It might be black and white, but there might be more to the story that didn't get out. Coaches call. He made it. Good on him.

dwtime
November 21st, 2017, 02:46 PM

I'm not sure why they didn't just break up the party and give them a warning, does that town have a 'no tolerance' rule? Back 35 years ago when I was in college something like that would be handled differently by area police. In this situation based on the cops response the coach had no choice.

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 02:53 PM
This pretty much sucks. But once you bend the rules, then you might as well not have any. Sounds like you need an outreach program targeting the cops.:D

Yep. The coach was put in a bad spot, he had to do this to have credibility.

But I agreed the Administration needs to grease some palms with the Police. This was a leadership failure outside of athletics.
:( SMH

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure why they didn't just break up the party and give them a warning, does that town have a 'no tolerance' rule? Back 35 years ago when I was in college something like that would be handled differently by area police. In this situation based on the cops response the coach had no choice.

Exactly. I don’t blame the coach (he is actually doing the “right thing”), but it should never had come to this.

The blame is on the police and local and university officials. The lack of any campus expansion has caused this issue and this could have been downplayed by the police. Once a violation was issued with a court date, Coach’s hands were tied.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JayJ79
November 21st, 2017, 03:03 PM
Exactly. I don’t blame the coach (he is actually doing the “right thing”), but it should never had come to this.

The blame is on the police and local and university officials. The lack of any campus expansion has caused this issue and this could have been downplayed by the police. Once a violation was issued with a court date, Coach’s hands were tied.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

are you saying the police should have downplayed it because there were football players involved, or should they downplay all loud party complaints?

aceinthehole
November 21st, 2017, 05:25 PM
are you saying the police should have downplayed it because there were football players involved, or should they downplay all loud party complaints?

The latter. I don't feel student-athletes should be afforded any privileges that aren't applied to other non student-athletes in the same circumstances. But, I also don't think they should receive harsher punishments just because they are a student athlete.

Based on the published news report and quote from the police, the player was issued a summons because he was the owner of record for the house where the party was being held. He wasn't accused of anything else other than it was "policy" that he was responsible. Now because of this policy, he is going to miss the biggest football game of his life.

If that same party happened and Johnny Jones, a non-athlete, was the owner of record what would have been the consequence for him? He too would have to appear in court and pay a fine, but there would be no additional punishment.

In this specific case the athlete pays a far heavier price for something that a non-athlete would have had to suffer.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2017, 05:40 PM
The latter. I don't feel student-athletes should be afforded any privileges that aren't applied to other non student-athletes in the same circumstances. But, I also don't think they should receive harsher punishments just because they are a student athlete.

Based on the published news report and quote from the police, the player was issued a summons because he was the owner of record for the house where the party was being held. He wasn't accused of anything else other than it was "policy" that he was responsible. Now because of this policy, he is going to miss the biggest football game of his life.

If that same party happened and Johnny Jones, a non-athlete, was the owner of record what would have been the consequence for him? He too would have to appear in court and pay a fine, but there would be no additional punishment.

In this specific case the athlete pays a far heavier price for something that a non-athlete would have had to suffer.
That is due to team/university policies and/or the coaches decision, not due to anything the police are doing.

Engineer86
November 21st, 2017, 06:01 PM

I'm flabbergasted at the way the local town-university issues are being handled by local police (with some support by university officials).

For some context, CCSU is still generally referred to as a "suitcase school" because of the approximately 12,000 students, only about 3,500 live on campus. However, there is a significant portion that live off-campus in surrounding neighborhoods.

The campus is across the street from a nice neighborhood (Belvedere), but generally New Britain is a dump of a city. It is a former manufacturing city (only about 50K population) known as the former home of Stanley Tools. The public schools system (K-12) is one of the worst in the state, as poverty and non-native English speakers are the majority. Housing is cheap, but the City has no major employers. It is a short ride (or bus line) to Hartford, but that is another American inner-city on the brink of bankruptcy.

Anyway, the whole thing is frustrating for CCSU fans who can never seem to catch a break and feel cursed when it comes to our Athletic program. :(

Lehigh has the exact same issue with of campus parties. I am not sure what the team's treatment would be, but I could see the exact same circumstances with a party here. The one way out of getting the citation is to not be at the house. At Lehigh, only the residents that are present at the time of the citation,get a citation.

downbythebeach
November 21st, 2017, 08:44 PM

I dont think this would happen at very many fcs universities. At SFU they have a great relationship with local police and there would probably be a school administrator talking sense into our star quarterback before the cops would arrest them. Even if they did get in trouble for something like this there is no way they would be suspended. This is a victimless crime that is happening on every single college across the country....what is the point. Would they suspend a student from a theater performance for the same issue???...nope

Winston
November 21st, 2017, 09:06 PM
This is one of the dumbest actions ever taken by a school.

dwtime
November 21st, 2017, 09:12 PM
I dont think this would happen at very many fcs universities. At SFU they have a great relationship with local police and there would probably be a school administrator talking sense into our star quarterback before the cops would arrest them. Even if they did get in trouble for something like this there is no way they would be suspended. This is a victimless crime that is happening on every single college across the country....what is the point. Would they suspend a student from a theater performance for the same issue???...nope

xnodx Good one!

Nickels
November 21st, 2017, 10:10 PM

Feel very sorry for these kids. Not one of these articles said they did anything wrong. Cops just go in and arrest because they were simply having a party they felt was "too out of control". HC is a pussy for not sticking up for his men.

Little Stevie
November 22nd, 2017, 04:56 AM
It seems way too heavy handed.
If it was night prior to game-yes. Night of-no way.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2017, 07:20 AM
Yes, a very principled decision by the head coach, but boy this sucks!

Ace, wow, just unbelievable. Well kudos to the HC. Great job winning NEC and good luck in Durham. We stopped played CCSU after the 1981 game (longtime Coach Bill Russo's first of a quick, major turnaround in Easton) until we resumed it last year. We play CCSU in Easton next year on Sept. 29th. Hope to see a poster of great repute in my opinion.

Terry2889
November 22nd, 2017, 08:24 AM
At UNH the athletic teams had a very good relationship with local and university police. There were many times where our coaching staff worked with the authorities to exact punishment in fact. I'll never forget one of my buddies having to do community service at a local school he was caught peeing on! HAHA!

BomberHarris
November 22nd, 2017, 08:31 AM
If we get a closer look at the police report, I think we'll see that Officer Martin Scarano followed procedure to the letter of the law #ThanksScarano

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2017, 08:36 AM
At UNH the athletic teams had a very good relationship with local and university police. There were many times where our coaching staff worked with the authorities to exact punishment in fact. I'll never forget one of my buddies having to do community service at a local school he was caught peeing on! HAHA!

the UNH MOU's are broad in scope for sure ...... well done UNH