PDA

View Full Version : WIU @ Weber St.

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I see a thread for every first round game except this one so starting a thread for it, I think this will be a great game, both of these teams have had outstanding seasons respectively!

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 02:48 PM
I think this will be the best round one game. Weber St and SUU are far superior to any other BSC competition. They were by far the best teams. Weber St was good last year, but this is their year to potentially make a run. The Wildcats have a very potent offense. If the WIU defense isn’t ready, they could be in some deep trouble. The Wildcat rushing attack has been nothing short of impressive this season. They have a few different guys who can get it done.

WIU had a very good season. They beat the teams the should have beaten except for the USD game. Rushing was an issue in that game. Other than that, very strong season from the Leathernecks.

This will be a very fun game. Surprised this thread just got going, as this is a interesting matchup. I think the WIU defense will be ready for the Weber attack, but being at home helps. Ogden is a tough place to play for a Big Sky team, let alone a team coming from the plains. It should be chilly but sunny. This one could come down to the final possession, and the winner of this could potentially make a deep playoff run.

Prediction: Weber 24-21 WIU

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Yes, easily the best/most competitive first round game. I am giving Weber the nod by a FG only because it will be WIUs 8th road game of the year. They have done well so far, but it will catch up with everyone eventually.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Yay!

A game thread.

PurpleStreamers
November 20th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Yes, easily the best/most competitive first round game. I am giving Weber the nod by a FG only because it will be WIUs 8th road game of the year. They have done well so far, but it will catch up with everyone eventually.

Just noticed that earlier today too in the Hero Sports article about Valley teams. How is this even possible for a MVFC team in 2017?! Good job, good effort 'necks.

dustinthorn93
November 20th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Just noticed that earlier today too in the Hero Sports article about Valley teams. How is this even possible for a MVFC team in 2017?! Good job, good effort 'necks.
The Coastal game was scheduled as a home and home (went there in 2015) but since they moved up we went there. Game 1 against Tennessee Tech was supposed to be NAIA St. Xavier, but we bought the game out to have a D1 game. Tennessee Tech wanted a home game and we obliged. I'm assuming at some point they will come to Macomb? I'm fairly certain next year WIU has @ Montana State @ Illinois vs Montana, so I'm not sure about a H&H with TTU.

Panthers1995
November 20th, 2017, 03:34 PM
What are the odds we wouldn't have gotten this game had WIU put in a bid to host?

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 03:57 PM
What are the odds we wouldn't have gotten this game had WIU put in a bid to host?

I doubt WIU would ever put a bid in. They would be lucky to get 1,000 people at a first round game and 5,000 at a second rounder.

Weber should get a good crowd.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 04:04 PM
This game is a pick em

It’s going to be a good one...

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I doubt WIU would ever put a bid in. They would be lucky to get 1,000 people at a first round game and 5,000 at a second rounder.

Weber should get a good crowd.

Could make a claim the the major FBS teams here are bad, come watch, in person, the team that beat Portland St. by more than BYU did.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Could make a claim the the major FBS teams here are bad, come watch, in person, the team that beat Portland St. by more than BYU did.

I have respect for this Weber State program. The Big Sky is filled with historical, perennial powerhouses and great teams. Montana, Montana St, EWU, Idaho soon. Yet it seems like Weber is always still in competition. Great program.

Hope you guys get six or seven thousand in the stadium on Saturday. This team deserves to get some support in the playoffs.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 04:30 PM
First off, yes we bid this time. Probably minimum...but we did bid, I know that for a fact.

This will be a very fun game. Surprised this thread just got going, as this is a interesting matchup. I think the WIU defense will be ready for the Weber attack, but being at home helps. Ogden is a tough place to play for a Big Sky team, let alone a team coming from the plains. It should be chilly but sunny. This one could come down to the final possession, and the winner of this could potentially make a deep playoff run.

Yes, being at someone else's home helps Western, I agree ;)
Honestly though, everyone seems to think that playing on the road so much will catch up to Western....why? It hasn't happened yet...only place we lost was the Fargodome and we were very competitive in that. I've seen 3 of the 4 home games and 2 of our away games, and honestly...WIU plays better on the road...seriously. It's not just the competition or whatever...this team thrives on being able to shut up a loud opposing crowd. They love it. There was an interview with one of our DBs the week before our Homecoming game (our first game of the season this year) where the interviewer asked if it was good getting to finally play at home. His answer was pretty much "Playing at home is nice, and Homecoming is always special, but there's just something about shutting up another team's fans that I really love". Our team goes on the road and they get a whole 'nother gear. Some people might have seen the video from our selection show party and saw that our team might have looked a little disappointed. You know why they were disappointed?...according to LB Brett Taylor, they were hoping for a bus trip (although I'm not sure who they'd send them to that'd be a bus trip...Austin Peay maybe, if they'd made it in). Yes, they seriously preferred a bus trip over a home game.

Is Ogden a tough place to play because of the altitude?...they didn't seem to have any problem at Northern Arizona which is quite a bit higher.
Is weather going to be an issue? It's supposed to be sunny with a a high of 61 and low winds in Ogden on Saturday...I'm not sure you could ask for better football weather. Hell, I'd take that any day in September or October...but getting that kind of weather at the end of November? That just never happens.

I've been writing up my article for the preview of this weekend's games involving MVFC teams, and I think that this matchup is the closest I've ever seen two teams. In so many categories, they put up nearly identical stats...there's obviously a few where each team has the advantage by a small amount, but just for example, WIU puts up 405 ypg of total offense...WSU puts up 408. WIU scores 35.5 ppg...WSU 35.7 ppg. WSU's defense allows 338 ypg, WIU's allows 343. It's like looking in a mirror...only difference is that we like our purple with a bit of gold...they go with white.

Throw the home field advantage (usually ~3 points) out the window of the "dead even" predictions, and I think the Leathernecks take this one by a FG.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Ogden is a tough place to play.
Altitude is part of it, but crowd is also a factor. Weber State gets good crowds. Despite it being break, they will get a good crowd of maybe 7,000. 8,000 maybe (?)
WSU people can tell us what to expect crowd size wise here.

Weather should be great. Nice temp. Little chilly up in the mountains. I must admit, there is something about playoff rivalries that get me. Imagine if SFA came to SHSU for a second round playoff game. We haven’t played anywhere but NRG Stadium in Houston since 2009, and the atmosphere would be nothing short of incredible. How about playoff matchups like Montana vs Montana St, Lehigh vs Lafayette, UND vs NDSU, JMU vs Richmond, you get the picture. My point is I think a SUU vs Weber second round matchup would be incredible. Two great teams going at it for FCS supremacy in Utah. But another part of me wants to see a fresh MVFC vs BSC game. SUU has never won a playoff game (Eat Em Up Kats!!!). SUU vs WIU would feature new faces in the second round.

Can’t go wrong with the second round matchup in this case. But right now is about the Wildcats and the Leathernecks. It’s going to be great. I could see this going down as a playoff classic. Most people have it as a 3 point game. Super excited for this one

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Ogden is a tough place to play.
Altitude is part of it, but crowd is also a factor. Weber State gets good crowds. Despite it being break, they will get a good crowd of maybe 7,000. 8,000 maybe (?)
WSU people can tell us what to expect crowd size wise here.

Can’t go wrong with the second round matchup in this case. But right now is about the Wildcats and the Leathernecks. It’s going to be great. I could see this going down as a playoff classic. Most people have it as a 3 point game. Super excited for this one

I was looking at their attendance numbers and while it's more than Western gets, it's less than we had against all the teams we played on the road except for Indiana State. Or is this like a Montana situation where 25k sounds like 100k? Does Weber's 8k sound more like 30k because of acoustics or something?

I completely agree that this one could be one of the more exciting games of the playoffs, especially in the first round. What's the record for number of OT's in the playoffs, I wonder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Uh, since when does anybody aggrandize the home field influence at Weber State?

I have no idea what attendance figures to expect.

You lose in Stewart Stadium because the team is better, not because the crowd does anything to affect the opposing team.

Altitude is the only real influence, and as mentioned, Flagstaff is a couple thousand feet higher.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 05:52 PM
I was looking at their attendance numbers and while it's more than Western gets, it's less than we had against all the teams we played on the road except for Indiana State. Or is this like a Montana situation where 25k sounds like 100k? Does Weber's 8k sound more like 30k because of acoustics or something?

I completely agree that this one could be one of the more exciting games of the playoffs, especially in the first round. What's the record for number of OT's in the playoffs, I wonder?

I have never been to a WSU game, but I go to school with a guy who lived in Salt Lake City. Parents had season tickets. Said durring good seasons they got good sized crowds and it could get loud. Just something you don’t see everyday in a first round game is a big crowd. WIU is battle tested away from home so it won’t have much of an impact I don’t think. But maybe the altitude plays a role.

You going to the game? Stadium setting looks top notch. I know most Big Sky stadiums are gorgeous, but just looked up pics and it is incredible. Stadium looks nice as well (seating and stuff).

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 05:57 PM
You going to the game? Stadium setting looks top notch. I know most Big Sky stadiums are gorgeous, but just looked up pics and it is incredible. Stadium looks nice as well (seating and stuff).

Unfortunately no, got thanksgiving stuff over in Dayton (too bad they didn't win the pioneer this year...might have been playing there again). I'll be listening on the radio as we drive home.

I've seen photos and I do agree that it's a beautiful setting. I've been through that area of the country before and there is a ton of beautiful scenery all over. They probably have quite the view of the mountains from their west side stands.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I know most Big Sky stadiums are gorgeous...

Maybe thats why they kicked UND out....

Redbird 4th & short
November 20th, 2017, 08:06 PM
First off, yes we bid this time. Probably minimum...but we did bid, I know that for a fact.

Yes, being at someone else's home helps Western, I agree ;)
Honestly though, everyone seems to think that playing on the road so much will catch up to Western....why? It hasn't happened yet...only place we lost was the Fargodome and we were very competitive in that. I've seen 3 of the 4 home games and 2 of our away games, and honestly...WIU plays better on the road...seriously. It's not just the competition or whatever...this team thrives on being able to shut up a loud opposing crowd. They love it. There was an interview with one of our DBs the week before our Homecoming game (our first game of the season this year) where the interviewer asked if it was good getting to finally play at home. His answer was pretty much "Playing at home is nice, and Homecoming is always special, but there's just something about shutting up another team's fans that I really love". .........

for tough veteran teams .. this is so true, especially since WIU draws so little at home. Other than altitude, I think WIU chances are better on road. Plus WIU is well coached and knows hows to prepare for games, and make in game adjustments .. trust me, ISUr knows all too well how they flipped the script at half time and turned game aside down on us in Q3.

Side note .. today, ISUr just fired their Co-OCs Dicken and Clark (also OL coach), and WR Coach Kiernan. Aside from general lack of confidence in OC Dicken play calling .. there were games and halves where we absolutely dominated on offense, but then we would just suddenly fall flat - teams would figure us out and make adjustments, and we had no counter plan. The 2nd half against WIU was one of those moments .. and is why we fired 3 offensive coaches today.

Good luck to Leathernecks .. I assume most of Redbird Nation will be rooting for you. Weber St looks much better than last year and actually deserving of a bid this time.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 08:08 PM
for tough veteran teams .. this is so true, especially since WIU draws so little at home. Other than altitude, I think WIU chances are better on road. Plus WIU is well coached and knows hows to prepare for games, and make in game adjustments .. trust me, ISUr knows all too well how they flipped the script at half time and turned game aside down on us in Q3.

Side note .. today, ISUr just fired their Co-OCs Dicken and Clark (also OL coach), and WR Coach Kiernan. Aside from general lack of confidence in OC Dicken play calling .. there were games and halves where we absolutely dominated on offense, but then we would just suddenly fall flat - teams would figure us out and make adjustments, and we had no counter plan. The 2nd half against WIU was one of those moments .. and is why we fired 3 offensive coaches today.

Good luck to Leathernecks .. I assume most of Redbird Nation will be rooting for you. Weber St looks much better than last year and actually deserving of a bid this time.

Altitude? I don't remember Western having any issues in Flagstaff.....

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Maybe thats why they kicked UND out....

Well if you are kicking teams out for that Idaho St has to go as well.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Well if you are kicking teams out for that Idaho St has to go as well.

Oh cmon, that quonset hut is a classic!

Redbird 4th & short
November 20th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Altitude? I don't remember Western having any issues in Flagstaff.....
yep, and betting they prepared very well for Flagstaff ... better than Spack did - who kept talking about how elevation didn't matter, we wouldn't change a thing.

I'm just saying that is only possible advantage Weber St has playing at home at 4300 feet .. though doubt it will play much of a factor given WIU death with it at 6900 feet just fine. But they also caught NAU before they got rolling .. they had just lost their stud WR and Cooks was struggling to find his groove.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 08:56 PM
yep, and betting they prepared very well for Flagstaff ... better than Spack did - who kept talking about how elevation didn't matter, we wouldn't change a thing.

I'm just saying that is only possible advantage Weber St has playing at home at 4300 feet .. though doubt it will play much of a factor given WIU death with it at 6900 feet just fine. But they also caught NAU before they got rolling .. they had just lost their stud WR and Cooks was struggling to find his groove.

We did get pretty lucky when we caught them. As for the altitude...it can be an issue of you're not prepared for it. If Spack was saying it doesn't matter...well that's flat out wrong, it obviously does, but substantially less if you're ready for it. Drink a lot of water in the days preceding it...the dry mountain air will suck the moisture right out of you...stay away from alcohol for those couple of days too. If they can get out there more than 24 hours early to get used to it, that helps too. Honestly I think the sun might be the worse issue. If it's 60 and sunny, first off, it'll feel like 90 to guys used to 40...plus, the sun will fry you a lot faster at altitude than down here. Going to have to take some umbrellas to chill out under between plays or something 🤣

I've said it before...if this middle-aged flatlander can run a 8 mile road race at 9.5k feet, those in-shape 20-year-olds can handle a football game at 7k or 4.3k feet...if they're ready for it. Considering how they did in Flagstaff, I think they will be.

Schism55
November 20th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Oh cmon, that quonset hut is a classic!
Hah it kinda is. I finally made it to a game there in '14, seeing it in person was glorious. It's so kitschy and bizarre. I really enjoyed the experience xthumbsupx

leatherneck177
November 20th, 2017, 09:16 PM
I’m really intrigued by this game. Our head coach said it’s like looking in the mirror. Jet sweeps and similar blitzes on by the front seven. I’m not sure if this is good or not. I suppose whoever does it better? Necks on the road doesn’t phase me. I’ve only seen one game that the road/weather truly changed the outcome for Western in the playoffs....at Colgate in the blizzard in 2003. Yes I’m still bitter about that game.

I Bleed Purple
November 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Too bad it won't be like this on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpQKU2Plhw

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Hah it kinda is. I finally made it to a game there in '14, seeing it in person was glorious. It's so kitschy and bizarre. I really enjoyed the experience xthumbsupx

Kinda mid-century modern.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I’ve only seen one game that the road/weather truly changed the outcome for Western in the playoffs....at Colgate in the blizzard in 2003. Yes I’m still bitter about that game.

We all are, man. We all are.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Interesting game and the kind of match up the playoffs should be about

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 11:08 PM

One of only six FCS stadiums I have been too in my lifetime. Interesting place. You almost forget ISU(o?) even exists. If I were a Bengals fan, I would wish I was color blind. Crazy seats. And that press box, man. Strange place. One of the original FCS domes, and it will fit right in with Idaho when they come home. You’d think other Big Sky teams would have places like it.

If you aren’t ready for the altitude, it’s going to hurt you. Western Illinois has an advantage, already having played in Flagstaff.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 06:19 AM
Looks like a really good matchup. Rooting for fellow Valley team.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 09:08 AM
So Weber State has a very strong offense. Despite some recent turnover issues, they still managed to get 32.6 points per game on the board. They put up 76, 53 and 41 points up multiple times this season. Cantwell had 3 picks against Idaho State in their most recent game, yet they still put up 35 points. The running game was an issue against teams like Southern Utah, but recently they got it going. At high altitude, WIU better be ready to go quickly without getting winded or the Wildcat offense is going to hurt them.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 09:52 AM
So Weber State has a very strong offense. Despite some recent turnover issues, they still managed to get 32.6 points per game on the board. They put up 76, 53 and 41 points up multiple times this season. Cantwell had 3 picks against Idaho State in their most recent game, yet they still put up 35 points. The running game was an issue against teams like Southern Utah, but recently they got it going. At high altitude, WIU better be ready to go quickly without getting winded or the Wildcat offense is going to hurt them.

You think we can't put up points?
52 on Coastal Carolina
49 on Missouri State
Only 45 on Indiana State because we were up 31-0 at halftime so our second string offense played most of the second half...and still got two more TDs.

No, we didn't put up 76 points on anybody...but we also didn't play any non-DI schools this year.

WIU points per game average - 35.55
WSU points per game average - 35.73

WIU SoS Ratings - 4th in FCS (Massey), 131st in DI (Sagarin)
WSU SoS Ratings - 17th in FCS (Massey), 151st in DI (Sagarin)

So...nearly identical points per game average, with a tougher schedule.

Leatherneckcountry
November 21st, 2017, 11:02 AM
Really think that this will be a very fun game my 2 biggest concerns are we need to come out ready to play can't get down big in the 1st half like we did against USD and we gotta clean up the penalties. I know we didn't have to play against those amazing big sky defenses but are offense can be very good I will take the McGuire Acklin combo over any other in the country.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 11:07 AM
52 on Coastal Carolina
49 on Missouri State
Only 45 on Indiana State because we were up 31-0 at halftime so our second string offense played most of the second half...and still got two more TDs.

No, we didn't put up 76 points on anybody...but we also didn't play any non-DI schools this year.

I know you guys can put up points. Just my take on the WSU offense. I watched the Coastal Carolina game.

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 02:40 PM
I was watching the Cal/Weber State game on youtube earlier today, (just search for it and type full game it will come up) and they tend to run a lot of the same stuff WIU does. It's going to really be like looking at a mirror for both teams. The only real difference I saw was WIU uses a 3-4 as a base defense and they look like they use a 4-3 for a base. The stats are so even, and they play the same style for the most part.

This is definitely going to be a good game.

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 02:44 PM
52 on Coastal Carolina
49 on Missouri State

This is why I'm confused at the total for this game... only 50.5? I think this one goes over that total.

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 02:55 PM
This is why I'm confused at the total for this game... only 50.5? I think this one goes over that total.
I think it's because both defenses are pretty good too. Weber has potentially the best defense in the Big Sky, and WIU stops the run well, which is what Weber is good at. I think both defenses are going to limit the other offense below season averages and it ends up something like 20-17 or 24-21 either way.

DCWIU11
November 21st, 2017, 03:26 PM
Will Acklin of WIU be the best WR that Weber State's CB Johnson has played against this year? I don't think CAL has or had a big named WR but I am not sure nor am i sure about Big Sky either.

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 03:29 PM
Doss from UC Davis is the best wideout in FCS, so no, he won't be.

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 03:38 PM

Weber State 31-UC Davis 3 Halftime score
Weber State 34-Montana 6 Halftime score
Weber State 49-Portland St 3 Halftime score.

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
I think it's because both defenses are pretty good too. Weber has potentially the best defense in the Big Sky, and WIU stops the run well, which is what Weber is good at. I think both defenses are going to limit the other offense below season averages and it ends up something like 20-17 or 24-21 either way.

The defense in the Big Sky in general is bad. Not sure there is any competition for Weber having the best defense in the big sky.

Weber is good at doing what the opposing defense is bad it. Big Sky teams pass a lot, so defense recruits more for passing teams, thus run defense is generally poor. If you're bad at defending the pass, Weber will throw a lot.

DCWIU11
November 21st, 2017, 03:48 PM
Doss from UC Davis is the best wideout in FCS, so no, he won't be.

Okay, I did not know that. Is Cal Poly's QB a good player like WIU's is?

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 03:55 PM
Okay, I did not know that. Is Cal Poly's QB a good player like WIU's is?

People seem to like him. I wasn't as impressed. Big Sky has better QBs. Maier is just very prolific. 90% of their pass plays were back shoulder gos or slants. Other 10% were let Doss find a spot. Doss had 10 or 11 catches against Weber and I was always wondering why they weren't targeting him more.

DCWIU11
November 21st, 2017, 04:06 PM
People seem to like him. I wasn't as impressed. Big Sky has better QBs. Maier is just very prolific. 90% of their pass plays were back shoulder gos or slants. Other 10% were let Doss find a spot. Doss had 10 or 11 catches against Weber and I was always wondering why they weren't targeting him more.

Cool, if there was one game that I should watch from this year which game would you tell me to watch?

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM
The defense in the Big Sky in general is bad. Not sure there is any competition for Weber having the best defense in the big sky.

Weber is good at doing what the opposing defense is bad it. Big Sky teams pass a lot, so defense recruits more for passing teams, thus run defense is generally poor. If you're bad at defending the pass, Weber will throw a lot.
I only said potentially because I don't know enough about SUU to make that decision, so if you say Weber is better than I'm gonna go with that haha

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 04:27 PM
Cool, if there was one game that I should watch from this year which game would you tell me to watch?

From Weber? Uh...depends what you're looking for.

Weber won mainly from air strikes in EWU game for the first three scoring drives. If you want to see some long passes hitting, watch the Davis game. Ground game domination is the recent ISU game. Watch the Montana game to see vulnerability in the second half. Same with the Sacramento State game. Watch the PSU game if you want to see a bad team lose to a good team.

I guess the EWU game to show the diversity that Weber has? Only thing in that game is that Weber tends to force turnovers, particularly interceptions, and there was only one total in that game, the final non-kneel down play of the game.

I Bleed Purple
November 21st, 2017, 04:32 PM
I only said potentially because I don't know enough about SUU to make that decision, so if you say Weber is better than I'm gonna go with that haha

SUU was the better team this year. Can't say necessarily their defense is better. They knocked out the QB and the coaching staff didn't have the backups ready to play and he threw pick 6s and other stuff to put Weber behind to where Weber was afraid to pass because the backup(s) were so bad and they loaded the box even though Weber was down multiple scores. Snowball effect.

Haven't seen 'em otherwise.

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 04:34 PM
SUU was the better team this year. Can't say necessarily their defense is better. They knocked out the QB and the coaching staff didn't have the backups ready to play and he threw pick 6s and other stuff to put Weber behind to where Weber was afraid to pass because the backup(s) were so bad and they loaded the box even though Weber was down multiple scores. Snowball effect.

Gotcha

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 04:36 PM
Is Western Illinois pass heavy? The program always came off as a old school type of program, run it up the gut type thing.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2017, 05:33 PM
Or is this like a Montana situation where 25k sounds like 100k? Does Weber's 8k sound more like 30k because of acoustics or something?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo it doesn't. It is a wide open place with a track and no end zone seating. The fans for the most part are very wishy washy when it comes to supporting this team. The noise will be minimal.

If you go to the game you have to hit up Slackwater pizza downtown.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2017, 05:36 PM
Ogden is a tough place to play for a Big Sky team, let alone a team coming from the plains.

Prediction: Weber 24-21 WIUUntil maybe the last couple years sure, not really that hard of a place to play before that. We, Montana, have only lost I believe eight games there ever of the 54 games played.
I do think this will be a great game though, can't wait to watch it.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 07:10 PM
Until maybe the last couple years sure, not really that hard of a place to play before that. We, Montana, have only lost I believe eight games there ever of the 54 games played.
I do think this will be a great game though, can't wait to watch it.

Well I think that has more to do with the on field product than the stadium. Lets remember were talking about Montana, not UC Davis or Portland.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 07:34 PM
Is Western Illinois pass heavy? The program always came off as a old school type of program, run it up the gut type thing.
So you know nothing about WIU,but you are picking them to lose?

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 08:55 PM

Well, we do have the #6 receiver (in yards per game) in the FCS (#1 in the MVFC) and our QB is 7th in the FCS in passing efficiency.
WR Jaelon Acklin is most likely going to be first-team All-Conference and in the running for offensive POY (although there's plenty of really good competition in the MVFC...Streveler, Stick, Goedert, Wieneke, Christion, etc.)

Yes, we've had some phenomenal RBs in the past...Aaron Stecker, Herb Donaldson, Travis Glasford, and more recently J.C. Baker, Nikko Watson, and the current one, Steve McShane...but lately we've also had some really good receivers as well...Lance Lenoir (http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players/roster/lance-lenoir) and now Jaelon Acklin, who last week set the school record for receiving yards in a season.

X-Factor
November 21st, 2017, 10:58 PM
Well, we do have the #6 receiver (in yards per game) in the FCS (#1 in the MVFC) and our QB is 7th in the FCS in passing efficiency.
WR Jaelon Acklin is most likely going to be first-team All-Conference and in the running for offensive POY (although there's plenty of really good competition in the MVFC...Streveler, Stick, Goedert, Wieneke, Christion, etc.)

Yes, we've had some phenomenal RBs in the past...Aaron Stecker, Herb Donaldson, Travis Glasford, and more recently J.C. Baker, Nikko Watson, and the current one, Steve McShane...but lately we've also had some really good receivers as well...Lance Lenoir (http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players/roster/lance-lenoir) and now Jaelon Acklin, who last week set the school record for receiving yards in a season.

Yep. I guess as an outsider I would classify WIU as a run first team from an offensive mindset standpoint that probably has more bullets in the passing game, and they know it, hence will play to their strengths. Acklin is a load to slow down.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 11:01 PM
So you know nothing about WIU,but you are picking them to lose?

Yeah pretty much. I know they score, and they have a good defense. All I needed to know.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 11:53 PM
Yep. I guess as an outsider I would classify WIU as a run first team from an offensive mindset standpoint that probably has more bullets in the passing game, and they know it, hence will play to their strengths. Acklin is a load to slow down.

Yeah, for sure we are. We've got a really good quick/nimble RB who is good at making guys miss (https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/925166848458584064). We've also got a big solid RB who can pound the ball. Acklin has been known to get in on the running game doing sweeps out to the side with the ball, and we've even got a 310 lb D-Lineman who is quick enough to be put in every now and then on offense and has a rushing TD himself (although usually he's used as a blocker for one of the other RBs). We've got multiple ways to run the ball, usually effectively, but in terms of where we rank for passing stats vs running stats in the FCS, we are higher up in the passing game than the run game.

Balanced offense...big and tough linemen with a lot of experience...lots of talent at the "skill" positions.

Original_Siouxperfan
November 22nd, 2017, 09:52 AM

I think you're cutting the Wildcats short. Having watched both teams play live (Weber 2x) and various parts of other games for both teams, I believe that the Wildcats are a better team than SUU with a healthy Cantwell. I'm not impressed with SUU's defense and I believe the Wildcats will come out victorious in Cedar City should they survive the Leathernecks.

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2017, 12:27 PM
Just wanted to mention that we now know officially that this game will involve the defensive players of the year from both the Big Sky and MVFC.

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 12:38 PM
Just wanted to mention that we now know officially that this game will involve the defensive players of the year from both the Big Sky and MVFC.

Pretty cool. I think this one could be a high scoring affair, and I hope it is. I guess as long as it goes down to the wire though, its fine with me! Game of the week IMO!!

ST_Lawson
November 22nd, 2017, 12:39 PM
Pretty cool. I think this one could be a high scoring affair, and I hope it is. I guess as long as it goes down to the wire though, its fine with me! Game of the week IMO!!

I mean...I'd be fine with a boring blowout by WIU, but that doesn't really seem likely. On paper it should be the most exciting game of the weekend.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2017, 02:17 PM
Go team!

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 02:39 PM
The afternoon/evening games should be really fun. Looking forward to this one! Should be a great game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2017, 02:42 PM
I picked Weber in the pick em thread.....been debating on changing that one....xscanxxscanx

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Lets go WIU!

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Both teams trading punts....Is Weber the team with the W on the helmets?

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Both teams trading punts....Is Weber the team with the W on the helmets?

No, that is WIU

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
WUI on the boards, 3-0

- - - Updated - - -

No, that is WIU
http://www.misshomemade.com/images/TrollingFish.jpg

mmiller_34
November 25th, 2017, 03:45 PM
TD Weber. Some trickeration.

Catbooster
November 25th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Whoops - If you're throwing the ball away, it's best not to lob it near the sideline where it can be intercepted. xdrunkyx

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
ouch, nice drop

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 04:09 PM
western gets another FG...Weber 7-6

mmiller_34
November 25th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Wow nice play for Weber.

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Weber has been dominating western.

Bisonator
November 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
Wow WIU is playing like ****. So much for my darkhorse pick.:(

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 04:23 PM
good d on that pass

jmu007
November 25th, 2017, 04:29 PM
WR just went down on that last run play. 17 I think.

Schism55
November 25th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Weber play calling and design is on point

igo4uni
November 25th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Weber play calling and design is on point

Looks like they came to play.

Terrier19
November 25th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I like both of these teams. Weber is executing.....salute. Good game to watch

Catbooster
November 25th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I figured once WIU ran into a real (Big Sky) defense, instead of those soft MVFC defenses, we'd see what they're made of. xcoffeex ;)

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Looks like Weber could really put te pressure on WIU. A score here would be a big issue for the Learhernecks.

CommishBigSmooth
November 25th, 2017, 05:03 PM
So that's a flea flicker, fake punt, double pass....and still plenty of game left. Gotta love the Weber playbook.

Statue of Liberty next?

UNHWildcat18
November 25th, 2017, 05:09 PM
For all the crap MVFC posters give other conferences.....WIU doesn’t look good at all, still a lot of football to play though

NDSUtk
November 25th, 2017, 05:13 PM
For all the crap MVFC posters give other conferences.....WIU doesn’t look good at all, still a lot of football to play though

I'd say this is the game that most MVFC posters said could go either way. Yes, we give a lot of crap. But not all of us are insane and think we can't be beat. Weber is a good team and many recognized that.

IBleedYellow
November 25th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Listening to Weber States fans be super loud while their team has the ball is amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Drblankstare
November 25th, 2017, 05:19 PM
I'd say this is the game that most MVFC posters said could go either way. Yes, we give a lot of crap. But not all of us are insane and think we can't be beat. Weber is a good team and many recognized that.

Yep agree, I thought this would be the best game of the day

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 05:20 PM
oooh targeting, definitely out.

dwtime
November 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Dumb play by the Weber St. DB he was lucky he didn't get ejected.

centennial
November 25th, 2017, 05:21 PM
WTH that was targeting.

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 05:22 PM
No kidding, he should be gone

IBleedYellow
That's targeting.... Lol

Professor Chaos
Targeting is absolutely the most inconsistently enforced rule in the book. It needs to be fixed.

Drblankstare
November 25th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I hate the targeting rule because of the way it’s being enforced, but damn that sure looked like the definition

Bisonator
November 25th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Wow WIU just got hosed. Roughing the passer? xrolleyesx

IBleedYellow
November 25th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Some bad penalties going against WIU the past two series.

CommishBigSmooth
November 25th, 2017, 05:50 PM
That couldn't have been a called fake.

Right?

Schism55
November 25th, 2017, 05:51 PM

Right?
WTF Weber

CommishBigSmooth
Wow, and then McGuire absolutely bails Weber out by fumbling it right back. Unbelievable.

NDSUtk

Right?

I think it was...but why?!

Bisonator
November 25th, 2017, 05:54 PM
WIU can't play much worse then they did today. Gotta give Weber credit for making the better plays I guess. Expected a better game between these two teams.

CommishBigSmooth
November 25th, 2017, 05:55 PM
They made up for it by actually punting on that possession.
Really trying their best to keep Western in this game.
Weber's D has been pretty stout.

CommishBigSmooth
November 25th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Western stays alive picking up 4th and 3, but Acklin absolutely took a shot to the shoulder. Not getting up right away. Off under own power, though. 5:43 left, 1st down Western at Weber 30.

igo4uni
November 25th, 2017, 06:04 PM
td western

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Going down to the wire. WIU down by 2.

Prime Power
November 25th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Western has more of everything in this game except points.

IBleedYellow
November 25th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Western has more of everything in this game except points.The important part.

flyrod
November 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Enjoying this game, only 2nd time I seen Weber State play, but sitting here Rooting for WIU....just cause of how the game has been called and played.

ST_Lawson
November 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Shot ourselves in the foot too many times. A few dumb penalties.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2017, 06:14 PM
WIU cannot get a defensive stop when it counts.

igo4uni
November 25th, 2017, 06:14 PM
looks bad for western

flyrod
November 25th, 2017, 06:16 PM
one more play and Weber will have this wrapped up...good game to watch this afternoon

Schism55
November 25th, 2017, 06:22 PM
Grats to Weber. They looked and played like the better prepared/disciplined team.

centennial
November 25th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Sloppy game by WIU. Good game.

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Fun game. This one didn’t disappoint! Congrats to Weber. Representing the BIG SKY well.

ElCid
November 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Thanks Weber, you just got me 5 extra points in the pick 'em. Only score I nailed today.

Bison56
November 25th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Fun game. This one didn’t disappoint! Congrats to Weber. Representing the BIG SKY well.

Keep trolling.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Wow, that was quite the game.

Love the posters who love offense so much that good defense makes them think it's been a badly played game.

Good atmosphere in the stadium.

I Bleed Purple
November 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM
I was also quite worried when the first thing I heard when I put my headphones on to tune in to the radio broadcast was that 2/5ths of our O-Line was out today.

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 06:58 PM
too much purple in this game.

F'N Hawks
November 26th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Only 121 posts. Awfully quiet in this thread, strange.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Not much to talk about. Two of the toughest teams in the at-large field got matched up with each other. They went toe to toe and one team just made one or two more plays.

Plus, I was on the road all day yesterday, so didn't get in on much conversation.

My prediction was that it'd be close, down to the wire, within 3 points. I was hoping WIU would come out on top, but the overall outcome didn't really surprise me.

caribbeanhen
November 26th, 2017, 11:20 AM
yep, a shame these 2 had to play if the first round, lot's of one handed catches in the game.....

I picked Weber State to win (before the game)
I'm watching the game now (after the game) and after the first quarter I wanted to change my pick... haha, anyway Weber pulls out the flea flicker, nice call...
Roku and ESPN3 replay working great.