PDA

View Full Version : Who's your playoff darkhorse?

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 01:35 PM
Last year unseeded Youngstown St went on a run all the way to Frisco. Does it happen again this year? If so, who do you think is the unseeded team most likely to make a deep playoff run?

I'll say UNI. Their only loss in the last 6 was in Fargo and that includes wins over SDSU, USD, and YSU. They're playing great defense as usual. Their running game is back on track ever since their RB Weymiller returned against SDSU to start their 6 game run. The health of their QB Dunne is a question mark but it sounds like he'll be back this week. I don't particularly like their draw since they're headed back to SDSU if they win and SDSU will be looking for revenge but UNI has obviously shown they're capable of beating the Jackrabbits.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Kennesaw. They have a good offense and are a much improved team. If they beat Samford at home next weekend, they get JSU. The defense of the Gamecocks is good, but you don’t need to score much to get past them. Who knows how far they could go.

PurpleStreamers
November 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM
UNI's a sound choice, but I gotta go with South Dakota. Getting two rounds of nonsense Southland teams makes the choice too obvious, plus they really played consistently well against tough competition all year except the blowout loss to NDSU.

Terrier19
Wofford. Had every chance to beat that very same Youngstown team, lost in 2 OT in the quarterfinals. Brought most of that same team back. Top 5 Rushing attack in the country, Top 20 Total Defense in nation, NASTY on both lines of scrimmage. Poise and composure at QB. Coach of Year candidate in Mike Ayers. Playoff experience from a year ago, left them feeling unsatisfied with the results.

kdinva
VMI........oh, sorry.....maybe a Stony Brook? Furman? One of the Big Sky teams?

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Wofford. Had every chance to beat that very same Youngstown team, lost in 2 OT in the quarterfinals. Brought most of that same team back. Top 5 Rushing attack in the country, Top 20 Total Defense in nation, NASTY on both lines of scrimmage. Poise and composure at QB. Coach of Year candidate in Mike Ayers. Playoff experience from a year ago, left them feeling unsatisfied with the results.
Wofford isn't exactly a darkhorse since they're seeded 7th but I'll allow it. xthumbsupx

Evolution Prime
November 20th, 2017, 01:47 PM
New Hampshire as they are out to prove all the haters wrong.

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Wofford isn't exactly a dark horse since they're seeded 7th but I'll allow it. xthumbsupx

I feel ya. But I figured them being in your bracket, that it would be DarkHorse enough having to come through Fargo.....

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I feel ya. But I figured them being in your bracket, that it would be DarkHorse enough having to come through Fargo.....
Well, I would guess they'll be double digit underdogs if they do meet NDSU in the quarterfinals so getting past that point would certainly be exceeding expectations for Wofford.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Wofford isn't exactly a darkhorse since they're seeded 7th but I'll allow it. xthumbsupx
Given their position in the bracket, I'd say they're a solid dark horse candidate.

I don't think many are giving them a chance against the Bison.

However, my dark horse candidate is WIU. I think seeing them in the semifinals is a very real possibility.

SU DOG
November 20th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Wait... xcoffeexsince Wofford, Kennesaw, and Furman have all been mentioned in this thread, I must do my due diligence and say SAMFORD. After all, we do have wins over all 3. Also, we may be peaking at the right time. Anyhow, it is nice to be optimistic and excited at this time of the year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Stony Brook and it's not because Lehigh is playing them. They're a tough, physical rather non-descript team built in a similar manner as YSU last year. They battled a really good USF team in the heat and humidity for 60 minutes to open the year. They'll get conference foe JMU in the 2nd round which gives them a chance to blow up the bracket.

I also think Kennesaw could be a serious headache too with their option offense. The Big South gets picked on but its teams have a history of being tough outs in the playoffs.

Panthers1995
November 20th, 2017, 02:14 PM
We would have to consider the team that wins the SDSU/UNI second round game a serious contender don't we? If not for blowing 2 games late UNI would be 4-1 against the field. UNI is a very good choice here in my opinion.

RootinFerDukes
November 20th, 2017, 02:20 PM
South Dakota just because they have no one of note in their path. It's a joke really.

POD Knows
November 20th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I got UNI in the upper bracket and Kennesaw in the lower bracket. I think Kennesaw makes it to the quarter finals, I could easily see them beating JSU and getting past the SHSU/Nicholls/USD wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either.

RootinFerDukes
November 20th, 2017, 02:21 PM

Honestly at this point, I'd say anyone not named JMU or NDSU is a dark horse if you think they can knock one of them out. I'd definitely say a 5 seed or further back can be a dark horse assuming a deep run.

wapiti
November 20th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I was about to say Southern Utah, but you gave a criteria of unseeded.

So I say Weber State, The BBQs.

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Wait... xcoffeexsince Wofford, Kennesaw, and Furman have all been mentioned in this thread, I must do my due diligence and say SAMFORD. After all, we do have wins over all 3. Also, we may be peaking at the right time. Anyhow, it is nice to be optimistic and excited at this time of the year.

Thats a fair point.........albeit very begrudgingly on my end......grrrrrrrrr...........

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Furman?

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I got UNI in the upper bracket and Kennesaw in the lower bracket. I think Kennesaw makes it to the quarter finals, I could easily see them beating JSU and getting past the SHSU/Nicholls/USD wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility either.
That's bold.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Furman?

I think Wofford has a chance to knock NDSU off --- also think they could lose to Furman. I would also love to see SUU and JMU play. That offense vs. that defense will be interesting.

I'm fascinated by the 3/6 quarter of the bracket. I think you could argue for any of those teams to make it out.

WestCoastAggie
November 20th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Western Illinois or Southern Utah

ASU33
November 20th, 2017, 03:00 PM
UNI or South Dakota

MTfan4life
November 20th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Western Illinois is in a good dark horse position. They've already played 7 road games this season and they went 6-1 on the road, beating both Northern Iowa and Northern Arizona.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Wofford's been mentioned in this thread; to not be a homer I won't list them as my pick. I will say we are better equipped than we were to beat NDSU than the last time we played (we have a better offense, for one). Having said that, we have to go through Furman/Elon first.

I'll admit that I can't really comment on Southland and Big Sky teams because I haven't taken the time to analyze their efficiency. I don't think we can call Jacksonville State or Central Arkansas (or JMU or NDSU for that matter) darkhorses, because JSU/UCA have beaten every FCS team in front of them. The only case for uncertainty on how good they are is their SOS, but it seems they've beaten teams soundly enough that it seems irrelevant. I think the same goes for SHSU; no one will be surprised if they go on a run.

Of the seeded teams, I think SDSU will go farther than normal as they don't have to run into NDSU at Fargo, they have a couple NFL prospects (right?), and their offensive efficiency is pretty strong on the year and their defense is good as well.

Of the unseeded teams, four come to mind: Samford, Kennesaw State, Furman and Western Illinois.

Furman has one of the most efficient offenses in the country. If they catch fire, I can see them matching blow for blow with the Bison and beyond. It pains me to say this as a Wofford fan. Having said that, there's a strong case to be made that they pulverize bad defenses and outscore bad offenses, but when they have a team that can match them, they don't do so well. Basically, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Elon/Wofford or if they made it to Frisco, and I know that's a weird thing to say about a 7-4 team.

Samford has a good defense, much better than the statistics indicate. They may let you run (literally run) up and down the field on you, but they are excellent at forcing 3rd downs/fourth downs and turnovers. They also have Kelvin McKnight who is quite literally the most monsterous receiver in the country. bank on it. They lost to Chattanooga a few weeks ago, and that's a bad loss, but in that game they lost Mcknight and had a whacky and uncharacteristic 7 turnovers. I don't see such a performance repeating.

Kennesaw is a team that I think can run with anyone. They run a pure option offense that no other team in the field plays (including Wofford/Furman). They also have an ungodly turnover margin. A team that can run the ball and reliably force turnovers is one in which the stats will be hard to predict, especially if they're the underdogs.

And Western Illinois, I'll admit I haven't seen them play, but I list them because they play efficiently on both sides of the ball that's comparable to how SDSU and NDSU plays. Of the 5 teams in the MVFC who made the field, NDSU is probably the best by those measures, followed by SDSU, but WIU isn't much far behind. There's a huge drop off in terms of overall efficiency and that of South Dakota and UNI.

And if we're going to pick a shot in the dark cinderella team, I'd say San Diego has the best prospects. They already won a playoff game last year, and though they lost 2 FCS games this year, in the past month or so they beat their conference competition by the margin you would expect an average playoff team to perform. That's not to say they will win or go on a run, but if I were to chose between Lehigh, Monmouth, Central Connecticut State and New Hampshire, I'm going to pick them to go on a run.

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I think Wofford has a chance to knock NDSU off --- also think they could lose to Furman. I would also love to see SUU and JMU play. That offense vs. that defense will be interesting.

I'm fascinated by the 3/6 quarter of the bracket. I think you could argue for any of those teams to make it out.

I think you are spot on...on all fronts.

Panthers1995
November 20th, 2017, 03:50 PM
Wofford's been mentioned in this thread; to not be a homer I won't list them as my pick. I will say we are better equipped than we were to beat NDSU than the last time we played (we have a better offense, for one). Having said that, we have to go through Furman/Elon first.

I'll admit that I can't really comment on Southland and Big Sky teams because I haven't taken the time to analyze their efficiency. I don't think we can call Jacksonville State or Central Arkansas (or JMU or NDSU for that matter) darkhorses, because JSU/UCA have beaten every FCS team in front of them. The only case for uncertainty on how good they are is their SOS, but it seems they've beaten teams soundly enough that it seems irrelevant. I think the same goes for SHSU; no one will be surprised if they go on a run.

Of the seeded teams, I think SDSU will go farther than normal as they don't have to run into NDSU at Fargo, they have a couple NFL prospects (right?), and their offensive efficiency is pretty strong on the year and their defense is good as well.

Of the unseeded teams, four come to mind: Samford, Kennesaw State, Furman and Western Illinois.

Furman has one of the most efficient offenses in the country. If they catch fire, I can see them matching blow for blow with the Bison and beyond. It pains me to say this as a Wofford fan. Having said that, there's a strong case to be made that they pulverize bad defenses and outscore bad offenses, but when they have a team that can match them, they don't do so well. Basically, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to Elon/Wofford or if they made it to Frisco, and I know that's a weird thing to say about a 7-4 team.

Samford has a good defense, much better than the statistics indicate. They may let you run (literally run) up and down the field on you, but they are excellent at forcing 3rd downs/fourth downs and turnovers. They also have Kelvin McKnight who is quite literally the most monsterous receiver in the country. bank on it. They lost to Chattanooga a few weeks ago, and that's a bad loss, but in that game they lost Mcknight and had a whacky and uncharacteristic 7 turnovers. I don't see such a performance repeating.

Kennesaw is a team that I think can run with anyone. They run a pure option offense that no other team in the field plays (including Wofford/Furman). They also have an ungodly turnover margin. A team that can run the ball and reliably force turnovers is one in which the stats will be hard to predict, especially if they're the underdogs.

And Western Illinois, I'll admit I haven't seen them play, but I list them because they play efficiently on both sides of the ball that's comparable to how SDSU and NDSU plays. Of the 5 teams in the MVFC who made the field, NDSU is probably the best by those measures, followed by SDSU, but WIU isn't much far behind. There's a huge drop off in terms of overall efficiency and that of South Dakota and UNI.

And if we're going to pick a shot in the dark cinderella team, I'd say San Diego has the best prospects. They already won a playoff game last year, and though they lost 2 FCS games this year, in the past month or so they beat their conference competition by the margin you would expect an average playoff team to perform. That's not to say they will win or go on a run, but if I were to chose between Lehigh, Monmouth, Central Connecticut State and New Hampshire, I'm going to pick them to go on a run.

I am a homer but I don't understand how you leave UNI off your list. UNI beat SDSU (by almost 3 touchdowns), Beat USD and lost late to both Southern Utah and WIU. Keep in mind those two loses were before UNI became the team we will see in the playoffs. The only team in the playoffs that handled UNI with ease is NDSU.

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Anyone, but UNI. IF we make it past Monmouth we have no shot at SDSU beating themselves in Brookings again.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I think either UNI or Kennesaw.

mamberso
November 20th, 2017, 04:20 PM
That's bold.
Hah, no kidding. Starting to think JSU may be a "dark horse". As someone else mentioned, you don't have to score many points to beat JSU...only averaging 31 points/game.

mamberso
November 20th, 2017, 04:22 PM
I will go with South Dakota. That 2nd round game against Sam Houston will be really interesting. They probably have the best chance of knocking off NDSU on that side of the bracket.

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 04:25 PM
Anyone, but UNI. IF we make it past Monmouth we have no shot at SDSU beating themselves in Brookings again.
Yeah, I can't really see beating SDSU, in Brookings, twice in 3 months. Not with one of them in December.

Our best hope for that game is a massive snow storm that makes throwing the ball impossible. Not because UNI has a great ground game. I just think UNI is stronger up front than SDSU.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:25 PM
South Dakota is too one-dimensional and dependent on one person to make it that far into the playoffs. Anything happens to him, and they are done.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 04:34 PM
UNI's a sound choice, but I gotta go with South Dakota. Getting two rounds of nonsense Southland teams makes the choice too obvious, plus they really played consistently well against tough competition all year except the blowout loss to NDSU.

Looking at the matchups, I think I agree with this. They probably stand the best chance of any of the non-seeded teams to make it through a few rounds. I could see them making it through that quadrant and face NDSU again.

th0m
November 20th, 2017, 04:42 PM
UNH.

BisonTru
November 20th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Western Illinois is in a good dark horse position. They've already played 7 road games this season and they went 6-1 on the road, beating both Northern Iowa and Northern Arizona.

This is my pick as well Western Illinois.

Not to mention on their road history they flew all the way to Coastal Carolina and embarrassed them on their teal turf. I almost think next season during home games Western should put their team on a plane and fly them in circles for 5 hours before the game.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Stony is solid but not spectacular

Furman can be spectacular but not sure if solid

One of those two

igo4uni
November 20th, 2017, 05:36 PM
EWU.............oh wait............nevermind.

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I was about to say Southern Utah, but you gave a criteria of unseeded.

So I say Weber State, The BBQs.This is BBQ...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/250c5909d1fc8fce34cac07066c59f24.jpg

This is a grill.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171120/256a7c1cd44ab23fced488195fc0d51e.jpg

Hasn't Citdog taught y'all anything since he moved there??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM
This is my pick as well Western Illinois.

Not to mention on their road history they flew all the way to Coastal Carolina and embarrassed them on their teal turf. I almost think next season during home games Western should put their team on a plane and fly them in circles for 5 hours before the game.

Or just tell all our fans to cheer their loudest when we're on offense and sit on their hands when we're on defense.

Oh...wait...we already do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I'm going with Central Connecticut because I didn't even know they had a football team. Therefore they are clearly the best to be called "underdog".

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I'm going with Central Connecticut because I didn't even know they had a football team. Therefore they are clearly the best to be called "underdog".

Did you know that their basketball teams used to play in the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summit League). Because of there's one place I think of when I hear "Mid-Continent", it's central Connecticut.

Twentysix
November 20th, 2017, 06:22 PM
South Dakota. Granted I don't think they have a championship in them, but I think they will get to the semifinals.

Grizzlies82
November 20th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Did you know that their basketball teams used to play in the Mid-Continent Conference (now Summit League). Because of there's one place I think of when I hear "Mid-Continent", it's central Connecticut.

I was relatively confident there must be a central part to the state of Connecticut.

Otherwise, no idea they had a football team, a "Mid-Continent" Bball squad, or even a school.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Furman?

I heard Furman sucks

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 20th, 2017, 06:30 PM
Samford and WIU.

TheRealJacks
November 20th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Or just tell all our fans to cheer their loudest when we're on offense and sit on their hands when we're on defense.

Man I can relate so hard haha

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I heard Furman sucks

I haven't heard it recently, though

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I haven't heard it recently, though

It's perpetual. Doesn't need repeating to make it so.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 07:14 PM
It's perpetual. Doesn't need repeating to make it so.

There used to be this one guy, and I can't remember who, but he made that claim in most posts..

Woody Hayes
November 20th, 2017, 07:22 PM
I would LOVE Wofford FOREVER if they could beat ndsu.

Cocky
November 20th, 2017, 07:38 PM
N AZ

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 07:48 PM
I would LOVE Wofford FOREVER if they could beat ndsu.
Same.

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2017, 08:05 PM
Same.

let's be real, many people would appreciate anyone beating NDSU

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 08:07 PM
let's be real, many people would appreciate anyone beating NDSU
https://sayingimages.com/wp-content/uploads/cheers-to-all-my-haters-gonna-hate-meme.jpg

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Liar. You’re such a goddamn liar xlolx

Yeah, I can't really see beating SDSU, in Brookings, twice in 3 months. Not with one of them in December.

You are also a goddamn liar. xlolx

I **** you not ****in IBY was at the Marker Game with me in the middle of our season ticket holders, shouted to them on SDSUs offensive fourth down that they needed to get loud because it was 4th down, and they did xsmhx I couldn’t believe it worked. The ****er xlolx

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I **** you not ****in IBY was at the Marker Game with me in the middle of our season ticket holders, shouted to them on SDSUs offensive fourth down that they needed to get loud because it was 4th down, and they did xsmhx I couldn’t believe it worked. The ****er xlolx

We gotta get ourselves one of them there IBY's.

youcanbankit
November 20th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Samford out of the Southern Conference if they can avoid turnovers. They have already defeated the Big South champion, The SoCon Champion and 4 top 25 teams this year. They're stats dont tell the full story....Possible Dark horse.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26570&stc=1

Thumper 76
November 20th, 2017, 08:41 PM
We gotta get ourselves one of them there IBY's.

No, he got SDSU fans to get loud for the damn bison defense....that bastard xlolx

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 08:42 PM
No, he got SDSU fans to get loud for the damn bison defense....that bastard xlolx

Oh damn....xlolx

Schism55
November 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Samford out of the Southern Conference if they can avoid turnovers. They have already defeated the Big South champion, The SoCon Champion and 4 top 25 teams this year. They're stats dont tell the full story....Possible Dark horse.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26570&stc=1
Gave up 41 points and almost lost to a D2 at home.

Cocky
November 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Most of those were 4 quarter no one cares points.

youcanbankit
November 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM

Thus a Dark Horse. Key word almost. Remember you heard it here first.

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 09:37 PM
I would say Samford is probably one of the best candidates for a Dark Horse. As mentioned earlier, not sure any Seeded team can be a true dark horse. If Samford ran all the way through to the championship it wouldn't be a big surprise to me. From the other side of the bracket, I think Weber St. That also wouldn't surprise me a great deal.

Bisonator
November 20th, 2017, 09:47 PM
I'll go with WIU.

No_Skill
November 20th, 2017, 10:11 PM

Remind me to shake his hand next time I see him. That's awesome!

Of course it makes sense. Half of those fans had likely never been to a football game before since all the tickets were given away. xawesomex

dustinthorn93
November 20th, 2017, 10:13 PM
As a WIU fan, I don't want to be a homer. I think Stony Brook or (unfortunately for WIU) Weber.

gofurman
November 20th, 2017, 10:15 PM

Not being pro-furman, let's focus on Elon. But sure, seeing as how furman and woff played to a one point game this year then it's no stretch to say furman could lose or win v woff. There would have been better match ups for woff esp since they have a unique offense and I think that helps them in playoffs at times - that doesn't hold true IF they play furman

neverobeyed
November 20th, 2017, 10:25 PM

Coach just suspended two players for the game, including their starting QB:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-ccsu-football-players-suspended-20171120-story.html

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 11:11 PM

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-sp-ccsu-football-players-suspended-20171120-story.html
I bet it was Marty Scarano that seduced them into breaking team rules, recorded it, and then left the evidence on the doorstep of CCSU's AD and head coach. That snake!

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2017, 11:26 PM
WIU

Acklon, McShane, and McGuire are a 3 headed attack I would not want to see. Had SDSU not had Goedert, Wieneke, and TC, they would easily be the most explosive trio in the Valley; though I do love me the 3 headed running attack at NDSU.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 11:31 PM
Had SDSU not had Goedert, Wieneke, and TC, they would easily be the most explosive trio in the Valley.

Did you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dQpFu8uRP0

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 20th, 2017, 11:33 PM
Not Montana.................

bonarae
November 21st, 2017, 03:10 AM
UNH, but that's a big maybe.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 06:42 AM
WIU or USD

If Streveler for USD stays healthy, he is the best offensive player in the FCS.

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2017, 07:22 AM
......SOUFF DAKOTAH........DON'T LET DUH 3 GAME SKID FOOL YA'S.....IT WAS MURDERERS ROW......COYOTES WERE DOMED BAH N. IOWA & N DAKOTAH STATE.......BUT WERE IN DUH UNI/S. DAKOTAH ST GAMES....SOUFF DAKOTA/SAM HOUSTON........TOTAL POINTS/3 DIGITS.......BRAWK!

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2017, 07:28 AM

They would have probably been in the middle of the Pangea continent so it checks out.

Mattymc727
November 21st, 2017, 07:31 AM
I do like UNHs side of the bracket, unfortunately its not a good enough team this year to make a dark horse run like in 2013. They would have to correct some serious issues, and do it really fast.

I like Western Illinois.

I also like UNI as a dark horse, but I've picked them as a dark horse in the playoffs many times before and they seem to find a way to blow it!

UNIFanSince1983
November 21st, 2017, 07:32 AM
Liar. You’re such a goddamn liar xlolx

So you are telling me SDSU didn't beat themselves in Brookings on Hobo Days?

McNeese72
November 21st, 2017, 07:45 AM

I guess they better be glad Albany didn't make the playoffs. ;)

Doc

clenz
November 21st, 2017, 08:11 AM

The Mid-Con was home to pretty much everyone from New York to Utah for at least a short while in between the 80s-00s. Almost no one stuck around more than a couple years though - especially if you weren't a founding member in 1982. The average stay in the Mid-Con/Summit for non founding members that have left the conference was less than 8 years, which is greatly skewed up by 15 years for 2 of them.

School

Akron

Buffalo

Centenary (LA)

CCSU

Chicago State

Cleveland State

Eastern Illinois

UI-Chicago

IUPUI

UM-KC

Northern Illinois

Northeastern Ill

Northern Iowa

Oakland

Southern Utah

Missouri State

Troy

UW-Green Bay

UW-Milwaukee

Valparaiso

Wright State

Youngstown State

To this day the Summit is still a revolving door conference. The longest standing member of the Summit right now is WIU - who was a founding member. After that is the DSU's and IPFW who joined in 2007. Since 2011 4 teams have joined with a 5th team joining next year, 5 teams have left. There is a strong indication a 6th team could be leaving in the next year or two meaning at least 1 more more team would have to join/re-join. IPFW and UN-O are actively looking to leave. Who knows what ORU is ever thinking. Denver? Well, they stick around at this point because they want to focus on their niche sports and the Summit is the only conference desperate enough for members not to worry about how many core sports are played by them.

I'm honestly baffled how the Summit has continued to be a thing. Between the WAC and Summit you'd form an okay conference if you just merged them and went to divisions. The Summit, IIRC, has gotten about 3 or 4 waivers over the last decade or so to maintain AQ status due to not having enough teams in each sponsored sport to qualify, not meeting the NCAA's continuity mandate - which they still don't meet.

I think we could see the Summit death nail pounded in the next 2 years or so. It's clear the Horizon wants 14 - their commish has said as much. That means they will be looking for at least 4 schools to add. I say at least because UW-M and NKU are doing their damndest to lobby the MVC to be the 12th add. Neither will get it but so be it. Horizon just poached IUPUI from the Summit. The Horizon footprint is pretty clear. It seems as though Robert Morris and IPFW are targets 1A and 1B to at least get to 12.

The MVC is going to 12 in the next 2 years - and that includes Murray State. The OVC has a rule where they won't let a football team be an associate member. That means the MVFC will be at 12 and the OVC will be looking for a Murray State replacement. Western Illinois not liking what they see in the Summit could be the team to fill that open spot - if D2 UNA doesn't fill it.

TL;DR Thread drift - things could be kinda bumpy in the midwest at the mid and low major level over the next few years which could have a pretty big impact on the FCS - especially OVC/MVFC.

jacksfan29
November 21st, 2017, 08:28 AM
WIU or USD

If Streveler for USD stays healthy, he is the best offensive player in the FCS.

WIU, yes; USD, no. You aren't going to go far in the playoffs as a one dimensional team who can't play on the road. Especially when your one player is already banged up.

USD and WIU have favorable early round draws, WIU is a better team.

Cocky
November 21st, 2017, 08:29 AM
Would you not have to go with?:
Cal Poly
Cal Davis
Murray State

jacksfan29
November 21st, 2017, 08:29 AM
So you are telling me SDSU didn't beat themselves in Brookings on Hobo Days?

Nope, we were beaten by a good UNI team. We aren't like the Bison. When we have 5 turnovers we give credit where credit is due. UNI took it to us that day, the stats do not lie

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 08:45 AM
WIU, yes; USD, no. You aren't going to go far in the playoffs as a one dimensional team who can't play on the road. Especially when your one player is already banged up.

I wouldn't call WIU's draw that favorable. Weber was one of the top 3 unseeded teams (along with WIU and Stony Brook). Then they get SUU who I thought was underseeded at #8 (should've been #6 IMO). Then if they make it through that they only have JMU likely waiting for them in the quarters.

jacksfan29
November 21st, 2017, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't call WIU's draw that favorable. Weber was one of the top 3 unseeded teams (along with WIU and Stony Brook). Then they get SUU who I thought was underseeded at #8 (should've been #6 IMO). Then if they make it through that they only have JMU likely waiting for them in the quarters.

They will have no problem with Weber. SUU is a more difficult task, plus the travel will suck but SUU is still a Big Sky team. Could WIU's draw been better? Sure, they could have gotten the Southland route. WIU are, top to bottom a solid team who don't make a lot of mistakes. They know how to win on the road, and are well coached.

jacksfan29
November 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM
The day Murray State joins the MVFC is the day the MVFC ceases to be the league it is right now. Murray State FB is a joke. They will make Indiana State look good. Add Murray and the league will need to be split into two divisions. At that point, the western schools (minus UNI) will need to begin looking around and asking what is next for football.

As for the rest of your post. Where is UNO going to go? The Horizon may take IPFW, or IPFW could move to D2. It is likely UMKC will be coming back to the Summit, they have admitted they can't afford the WAC which means they can't afford the HL. Plus, the HL is a bus league, they aren't going to Omaha or KC. Much like the MVC, the member schools of the HL have little to no imagination. They all want the easiest route possible.

The WAC is moving west, expect the next add to be another D2 California school (APU). The MVC? You can take Murray but who is the 12th add? It won't be a Summit school and it likely will not be an HL school.

Other then IPFW who else from the Summit is going to want a Horizon League invite? ORU took a leave of absence already. They aren't leaving again unless is a step up. Is the MVC going to take ORU? I think not. Western is not happy in the Summit and are leaving for the OVC? Nope.

The Summit is going to die. Same story different month. A stable Summit allows the MVC schools to play in a good FB league. Minus NDSU, SDSU, WIU, and even USD, the MVFC is below the CAA and Big Sky, equal to the Southland and just above the OVC. The league becomes a 2, some years 3 bid league.

Back to playoff talk, less UNI, "we fear the Summit growth" so we must kill it talk.

The Mid-Con was home to pretty much everyone from New York to Utah for at least a short while in between the 80s-00s. Almost no one stuck around more than a couple years though - especially if you weren't a founding member in 1982. The average stay in the Mid-Con/Summit for non founding members that have left the conference was less than 8 years, which is greatly skewed up by 15 years for 2 of them.

School

Akron

Buffalo

Centenary (LA)

CCSU

Chicago State

Cleveland State

Eastern Illinois

UI-Chicago

IUPUI

UM-KC

Northern Illinois

Northeastern Ill

Northern Iowa

Oakland

Southern Utah

Missouri State

Troy

UW-Green Bay

UW-Milwaukee

Valparaiso

Wright State

Youngstown State

To this day the Summit is still a revolving door conference. The longest standing member of the Summit right now is WIU - who was a founding member. After that is the DSU's and IPFW who joined in 2007. Since 2011 4 teams have joined with a 5th team joining next year, 5 teams have left. There is a strong indication a 6th team could be leaving in the next year or two meaning at least 1 more more team would have to join/re-join. IPFW and UN-O are actively looking to leave. Who knows what ORU is ever thinking. Denver? Well, they stick around at this point because they want to focus on their niche sports and the Summit is the only conference desperate enough for members not to worry about how many core sports are played by them.

I'm honestly baffled how the Summit has continued to be a thing. Between the WAC and Summit you'd form an okay conference if you just merged them and went to divisions. The Summit, IIRC, has gotten about 3 or 4 waivers over the last decade or so to maintain AQ status due to not having enough teams in each sponsored sport to qualify, not meeting the NCAA's continuity mandate - which they still don't meet.

I think we could see the Summit death nail pounded in the next 2 years or so. It's clear the Horizon wants 14 - their commish has said as much. That means they will be looking for at least 4 schools to add. I say at least because UW-M and NKU are doing their damndest to lobby the MVC to be the 12th add. Neither will get it but so be it. Horizon just poached IUPUI from the Summit. The Horizon footprint is pretty clear. It seems as though Robert Morris and IPFW are targets 1A and 1B to at least get to 12.

The MVC is going to 12 in the next 2 years - and that includes Murray State. The OVC has a rule where they won't let a football team be an associate member. That means the MVFC will be at 12 and the OVC will be looking for a Murray State replacement. Western Illinois not liking what they see in the Summit could be the team to fill that open spot - if D2 UNA doesn't fill it.

TL;DR Thread drift - things could be kinda bumpy in the midwest at the mid and low major level over the next few years which could have a pretty big impact on the FCS - especially OVC/MVFC.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 09:39 AM
The day Murray State joins the MVFC is the day the MVFC ceases to be the league it is right now. Murray State FB is a joke. They will make Indiana State look good. Add Murray and the league will need to be split into two divisions. At that point, the western schools (minus UNI) will need to begin looking around and asking what is next for football.

As for the rest of your post. Where is UNO going to go? The Horizon may take IPFW, or IPFW could move to D2. It is likely UMKC will be coming back to the Summit, they have admitted they can't afford the WAC which means they can't afford the HL. Plus, the HL is a bus league, they aren't going to Omaha or KC. Much like the MVC, the member schools of the HL have little to no imagination. They all want the easiest route possible.

The WAC is moving west, expect the next add to be another D2 California school (APU). The MVC? You can take Murray but who is the 12th add? It won't be a Summit school and it likely will not be an HL school.

Other then IPFW who else from the Summit is going to want a Horizon League invite? ORU took a leave of absence already. They aren't leaving again unless is a step up. Is the MVC going to take ORU? I think not. Western is not happy in the Summit and are leaving for the OVC? Nope.

The Summit is going to die. Same story different month. A stable Summit allows the MVC schools to play in a good FB league. Minus NDSU, SDSU, WIU, and even USD, the MVFC is below the CAA and Big Sky, equal to the Southland and just above the OVC. The league becomes a 2, some years 3 bid league.

Back to playoff talk, less UNI, "we fear the Summit growth" so we must kill it talk.
They're better than Indiana State (not saying much, I know). Murray went toe to toe with Missouri State in Springfield and MSU blew ISUb TF out so I'd say Murray is firmly the second worst team in the Valley.

Grizzlies82
November 21st, 2017, 09:45 AM

Someone is trying to sabotage my selection.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2017, 10:02 AM
WIU

clenz
November 21st, 2017, 11:20 AM
They're better than Indiana State (not saying much, I know). Murray went toe to toe with Missouri State in Springfield and MSU blew ISUb TF out so I'd say Murray is firmly the second worst team in the Valley.
This.

ISUb is real bad.
MUSU is closer to on par with MOSU...which still isn't good.

We are letting UND in - who isn't very good - so I don't know why Murray State raises objections other than it's an MVC add.

100%GRIZ
November 21st, 2017, 11:54 AM
Weber

dbackjon
November 21st, 2017, 12:06 PM
NAU beats San Diego at home, shocks the world in Fargo, takes out Wofford, defeats SHSU, and heads to Frisco. You heard it here, first!

FargoBison
November 21st, 2017, 12:16 PM
I would say Samford is probably one of the best candidates for a Dark Horse. As mentioned earlier, not sure any Seeded team can be a true dark horse. If Samford ran all the way through to the championship it wouldn't be a big surprise to me. From the other side of the bracket, I think Weber St. That also wouldn't surprise me a great deal.

Samford is a weird team, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make the quarterfinals and I also wouldn't be surprised to see them lose their first game.

Schism55
November 21st, 2017, 12:16 PM
NAU beats San Diego at home, shocks the world in Fargo, takes out Wofford, defeats UCA, and heads to Frisco. You heard it here, first!
That's the spirit!!! xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 12:22 PM
This.

ISUb is real bad.
MUSU is closer to on par with MOSU...which still isn't good.

We are letting UND in - who isn't very good - so I don't know why Murray State raises objections other than it's an MVC add.
I'm fine with it. The MVFC needs more cupcakes... just as long as we don't go full Southland and gorge ourselves on (adding) them.

NAU beats San Diego at home, shocks the world in Fargo, takes out Wofford, defeats UCA, and heads to Frisco. You heard it here, first!
Holy smokes! They're going to switch sides of the bracket before their semifinal game??? That is a bold prediction!

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 12:28 PM
Holy smokes! They're going to switch sides of the bracket before their semifinal game??? That is a bold prediction!
They don't want any of JSU. :D

SochorField
November 21st, 2017, 12:30 PM
I like Southern Utah at #8. SUU went 3-0 against playoff teams (beat UNI, NAU and Weber).
The problem is getting past JMU.....
IF they can get past JMU, I think they have a great shot at Central Arkansas or South Dakota State / UNI to get to the Championship.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 12:42 PM

Yet USD beat WIU.

I'll take UNI as my dark horse.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 12:51 PM
Since I don’t like being a “homer”, Furman. If they get past Elon and my Terriers I think they could give NDSU a game.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Yet USD beat WIU.

Barely...I'd love a rematch.

BisonTru
November 21st, 2017, 01:00 PM

Your comprehension of the bracket is equivalent to your defense. 😉😀

dustinthorn93
November 21st, 2017, 01:03 PM
Yet USD beat WIU....

In Week 4. After WIU played 3 weeks on the road, the last one an "FBS" game in South Carolina. The same week you guys were off. You guys were playing your best football at that point, and almost blew a 32 point lead in a quarter and a half. I think WIU wins that game if they got the ball back with a minute instead of 30 seconds.

WIU has gotten better since then, (with the exception of the SDSU game, a couple odd plays snowballed on them) and I'm not sure USD has gotten better. They lost the 2 starting corners (the All-Conference guy intercepted WIUs pass at the end) and Streveler is playing semi-hurt. WIU is healthy.

Right now, WIU is better.

clenz
November 21st, 2017, 01:04 PM
I'm fine with it. The MVFC needs more cupcakes... just as long as we don't go full Southland and gorge ourselves on (adding) them.

This here. Patty V has said 12 is coming and a divisional split is likely.

I don't really care for that. Give me 9 teams and a true round robin. We haven't had 9 teams since we let USD in back in 2012. We already have teams rotating off. It's going to be the same story at 11 when UND joins in 2020. 2 teams will be off the schedule.

Divisions are pretty dumb when a conference title game isn't a a thing - and while it could be it won't happen. Too many logistical issues. However, if you're going to have 3 teams off your schedule you may as well division it, without making it officially divisioned.

I just did a division split based on average Massey rating since 2011 going alternating - so even number/odd number for ranking division

Div 1
Div 2

NDSU
UNI

SDSU
ISUR

YSU
SIU

WIU
USD

ISUB
MOSO

UND
MUSU

Average Massey of Div 1 125
Average Massey of Div 2 154

Div 1 is skewed pretty hard by NDSU while Div 2 is skewed pretty hard by MUSU. Those two outliers taken out and Div 2 goes to 135 and Div 1 143

I suppose you could swap UND and MUSU. That takes the averages to within 8 of each other.

8 conference games
5 vs you div
3 cross over games

Does it suck? Yup. Hard.
Is it where we are headed? Yup

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM
In Week 4. After WIU played 3 weeks on the road, the last one an "FBS" game in South Carolina. The same week you guys were off. You guys were playing your best football at that point, and almost blew a 32 point lead in a quarter and a half. I think WIU wins that game if they got the ball back with a minute instead of 30 seconds.

WIU has gotten better since then, (with the exception of the SDSU game, a couple odd plays snowballed on them) and I'm not sure USD has gotten better. They lost the 2 starting corners (the All-Conference guy intercepted WIUs pass at the end) and Streveler is playing semi-hurt. WIU is healthy.

Right now, WIU is better.

Hey that's your opinion...maybe they don't let the necks back into it this time and win by 31, who knows.

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 01:17 PM
Clenz, I would take your conference divisional set up over the "regional" one they will probably go with. I would also flip UND into the 2nd side with UNI and USD. The problem is going to be rivalries. They can't break up UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU, NDSU/SDSU, USD/UND. So there would need to be some sort of protected crossover rivals and to do so you would have to put USD/UND on one side and NDSU/SDSU on the either and make the State/U rivalry games protected crossovers. But that creates competitive imbalance too, though not near as bad as regionalization. The West would cannibalize each other in this setup.

West

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

East

ISUr
SIU
ISUb
YSU
MSU
MuSU

There is some serious competitive imbalance going on there.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 01:17 PM
Barely...I'd love a rematch.

Agreed...games between WIU and USD are usually down to the wire.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 01:19 PM
Agreed...games between WIU and USD are usually down to the wire.

Yea, the last few have been. It'd certainly be an exciting game.
It would also have to be the championship game, since we're on opposite sides of the bracket...so that'd be pretty damn cool too.

dbackjon
November 21st, 2017, 02:16 PM
Your comprehension of the bracket is equivalent to your defense. 

Sam Houston, Central Arkansas, same difference...

clenz
November 21st, 2017, 02:33 PM
Clenz, I would take your conference divisional set up over the "regional" one they will probably go with. I would also flip UND into the 2nd side with UNI and USD. The problem is going to be rivalries. They can't break up UND/NDSU, USD/SDSU, NDSU/SDSU, USD/UND. So there would need to be some sort of protected crossover rivals and to do so you would have to put USD/UND on one side and NDSU/SDSU on the either and make the State/U rivalry games protected crossovers. But that creates competitive imbalance too, though not near as bad as regionalization. The West would cannibalize each other in this setup.

MVFC for sure couldn't - shouldn't -do a geo split but I'd be that's what happens. Rivalries are going to have to be dealt with not being played every year. UNI has played WIU every single year since 1985.

Protected crossover games would defeat the purpose of that kind of divisional split. It's about creating a balance, not creating divisions to still play games based on geography.

NDSUKurt
November 21st, 2017, 02:46 PM
My darkhorse is Western Illinois. As a disclaimer, I can see them losing this Saturday or beating James Madison and playing in the semi-finals.

As mentioned before, it appears that Western Illinois has the understanding for winning on the road, granted their consecutive road wins were early in the season. I was impressed with how well they played in Fargo in their loss also.

Western Illinois was in the playoffs last year and won at Dayton. Weber State got smoked at Chatty.

After that, they would play against Southern Utah, a team that I think Western Illinois matches up with pretty well.

But another reason that I can see Western Illinois shocking the world is, assuming they win and play in Harrisonburg against JMU, is their coach, Charlie Fisher. He was the offensive coordinator at Richmond in 2015 when Richmond upset JMU the day when College Gameday was in Harrisonburg. He is familiar with JMU (although JMU has a new coach since then).

ysubigred
November 21st, 2017, 02:48 PM

West

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

East

ISUr
SIU
ISUb
YSU
MSU
MuSU

Nice^^ Looks great lets seal the deal LOL!!

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM
Kennesaw St gets revenge on Samford

Schism55
November 21st, 2017, 03:28 PM

West

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

East

ISUr
SIU
ISUb
YSU
MSU
MuSU

If the current MVFC is meat grinder el supreme....WTF is that division...Living in John Wayne Gacy's house while Jeffrey Dahmer and Aileen Wournos are your godparents/baby sitters!?!?

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 03:39 PM
If the current MVFC is meat grinder el supreme....WTF is that division...Living in John Wayne Gacy's house while Jeffrey Dahmer and Aileen Wournos are your godparents/baby sitters!?!?

The funny (or scary) thing is it is Summit League Football + 1, aka, 5 of USD's regular season games just this season.

youcanbankit
November 21st, 2017, 06:06 PM
Samford beats Kennesaw State by 9 points.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 06:45 PM

West

UND
NDSU
SDSU
USD
UNI
WIU

East

ISUr
SIU
ISUb
YSU
MSU
MuSU

There are protected crossover rivals in different conferences...I know that Tennessee plays Alabama every year even though they are in different sides within the division. There are probably more but I am too lazy to do the research.

Coyote Fan
November 21st, 2017, 06:48 PM
I am really down on the Coyotes but think they can be a dark horse. I also think of the heavy favorites in the first round they are also probably the most likely to lay an egg. The Coyotes are a team that would become more dangerous for every round they stay alive just because I think their biggest issue right now is confidence. For a team that has lost 4 of 5 they haven't been horrible in that stretch other than the NDSU game. They out gained UNI and SDSU by about 200 yards a piece but were not very opportunistic.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 06:58 PM
I am really down on the Coyotes but think they can be a dark horse. I also think of the heavy favorites in the first round they are also probably the most likely to lay an egg. The Coyotes are a team that would become more dangerous for every round they stay alive just because I think their biggest issue right now is confidence. For a team that has lost 4 of 5 they haven't been horrible in that stretch other than the NDSU game. They out gained UNI and SDSU by about 200 yards a piece but were not very opportunistic.

Yea, things have been a bit rough lately, but you guys are in it and you have a great draw. If you play half as well as you did the first half of the season, you should make it a couple rounds deep at least.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 08:10 PM
NAU beats San Diego at home, shocks the world in Fargo, takes out Wofford, defeats SHSU, and heads to Frisco. You heard it here, first!

xlolx

NDSU boat races either USD or NAU....

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 08:14 PM

Do a little research there bud. 1 dimensional?

USD rushes for 208 and passes for 312 per game. If Streveler is healthy and stays that way, USD can make a deep run.

LU808
November 21st, 2017, 08:39 PM

What tricks will their AD have up his sleeve to tilt the playing field in favor of UH?

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2017, 09:12 PM
Uni, wiu, usd. All have favorable draws, and have demonstrated winning abilities. A couple of turnovers break their ways, each could be thru the quarters.

Potential all mvfc semis and final.

Mattymc727
November 22nd, 2017, 06:33 AM
Another great dark horse story is UNI in 2005

th0m
November 22nd, 2017, 08:07 AM
Uni, wiu, usd. All have favorable draws, and have demonstrated winning abilities. A couple of turnovers break their ways, each could be thru the quarters.

Potential all mvfc semis and final.

With the emphasis on "potential".

I feel inclined to quote a line by jim carrey here.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 08:12 AM
Another great dark horse story is UNI in 2005
The darkest of horses

Through 7 games they were 4-3 with an OOC that was a win over PFL Drake, a D2 win and a 24 point loss to Iowa. UNI was 2-3 in conference games. The 7th game of the year was a 38-3 loss to Illinois State. Sophomore QB Eric Sanders missed time injured.

Went on to win their final 3 conference games - 2 of which were by a total of 4 points - and then the regular season finale against NAU to finish 8-3 and in a 3 way tie for first in the Gateway at 5-3. Due to the tie break UNI got the autobid - probably wouldn't have gotten in without that.

Host EWU in the first round of the playoffs. EWU lead going into the fourth 31-24. UNI won 41-38 on a field goal with 50 seconds left.

In the quarters UNI went on the road to top seeded New Hampshire. Game took place right after a massive snow storm. Cold and snowy as ****. UNI jumped out to a 21-0 lead with just a couple minutes left int he first half. This - as did 3 UNI/UNH games - featured Eric Sanders vs Ricky Santos. Fun games. UNH pretty much dominated yards, first downs, etc... UNI forced a fumble in the third and got a game winning field goal at that point as UNI held UNH without a score for the 4th quarter.

The semis saw UNI go to #3 Texas State and come out with a 40-37 win in overtime. Texas State led 37-29 with 5:01 left in the game after a freshman punt returner fumbled a punt inside the 10 and TSU scored off of it. UNI scored and got the 2 point conversion with 1:27 left in the game. Rather than trying to get into FG range after the kick off Texas State decided to take a knee and play for overtime.....they had all 3 time outs left. UNI got a FG on the first OT possession. UNI then picked off Texas State to end the game.

Title game vs App State UNI was up 16-7 with 6:05 left in the third when ASU scored to make it 16-14. Neither offense scored again. App scored the winning TD with 9:14 left in the game when a freshman LT was beaten on a rush, Sanders was strip sacked and Jason Hunter returned it to put ASU up for good at 21-16. Sanders described that play...and the NCAA title... perfectly

"I dropped back to pass, I stepped up and when I was ready to throw it I had it and then the next second I didn't have it," Sanders said. "I really don't know what happened. One moment I had it and the next moment I didn't have it."

Mattymc727
November 22nd, 2017, 08:28 AM
The darkest of horses

Through 7 games they were 4-3 with an OOC that was a win over PFL Drake, a D2 win and a 24 point loss to Iowa. UNI was 2-3 in conference games. The 7th game of the year was a 38-3 loss to Illinois State. Sophomore QB Eric Sanders missed time injured.

Went on to win their final 3 conference games - 2 of which were by a total of 4 points - and then the regular season finale against NAU to finish 8-3 and in a 3 way tie for first in the Gateway at 5-3. Due to the tie break UNI got the autobid - probably wouldn't have gotten in without that.

Host EWU in the first round of the playoffs. EWU lead going into the fourth 31-24. UNI won 41-38 on a field goal with 50 seconds left.

In the quarters UNI went on the road to top seeded New Hampshire. Game took place right after a massive snow storm. Cold and snowy as ****. UNI jumped out to a 21-0 lead with just a couple minutes left int he first half. This - as did 3 UNI/UNH games - featured Eric Sanders vs Ricky Santos. Fun games. UNH pretty much dominated yards, first downs, etc... UNI forced a fumble in the third and got a game winning field goal at that point as UNI held UNH without a score for the 4th quarter.

The semis saw UNI go to #3 Texas State and come out with a 40-37 win in overtime. Texas State led 37-29 with 5:01 left in the game after a freshman punt returner fumbled a punt inside the 10 and TSU scored off of it. UNI scored and got the 2 point conversion with 1:27 left in the game. Rather than trying to get into FG range after the kick off Texas State decided to take a knee and play for overtime.....they had all 3 time outs left. UNI got a FG on the first OT possession. UNI then picked off Texas State to end the game.

Title game vs App State UNI was up 16-7 with 6:05 left in the third when ASU scored to make it 16-14. Neither offense scored again. App scored the winning TD with 9:14 left in the game when a freshman LT was beaten on a rush, Sanders was strip sacked and Jason Hunter returned it to put ASU up for good at 21-16. Sanders described that play...and the NCAA title... perfectly

Seems like every couple of years (last year included) we get a good dark horse run. The beauty of the playoffs and the most beautiful sport in the world.

katstrapper
November 22nd, 2017, 08:30 AM
South Dakota just because they have no one of note in their path. It's a joke really.

xlolx yeah, ok.

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2017, 01:31 PM
xlolx

NDSU boat races either USD or NAU....

There are boats in Fargo? In Winter?

Yote84
November 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
UNI. They beat the prairie rats in Brookings once already and SDSU has played very poorly in the postseason at home the last few years. Especially against teams with good defenses.

youcanbankit
November 22nd, 2017, 06:10 PM
I Like Samford....They seem to step up in the big games

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26591&stc=1

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 07:42 PM
There are boats in Fargo? In Winter?

There is even electricity up here.....

TheKingpin28
November 22nd, 2017, 07:44 PM
There is even electricity up here.....

Is that why we use propane to heat the tents and provide "natural" lighting? xlolx

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2017, 05:51 AM
2003 Colgate

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 07:37 AM
Is that why we use propane to heat the tents and provide "natural" lighting? xlolx

I use "bee slum" to heat my shop during the winter up here. Bee slum is all the residue after I melt wax down. Burns like coal and is hot! xthumbsupx

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2017, 10:43 AM
I use "bee slum" to heat my shop during the winter up here. Bee slum is all the residue after I melt wax down. Burns like coal and is hot! xthumbsupx

Free heat/energy is always a plus.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 10:48 AM
Free heat/energy is always a plus.

Just remember no drinking while watching these playoff games for you....:D

TheKingpin28
November 23rd, 2017, 10:57 AM
Just remember no drinking while watching these playoff games for you....:D

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/500x/53647478/said-no-one-ever.jpg

I don't pound them back like I used to since my liver will hurt in the morning, but I can promise you that I may have a few Nordeast's and/or Big Island Blond's

igo4uni
November 23rd, 2017, 01:56 PM

it's flammable??

BirdFan 4Life
November 24th, 2017, 02:33 AM
WIU

I think they have experience at the key positions and are road tested. That should serve them well to at least have a shot to get past Weber St and SUU. I would love to see them take on JMU.

ming01
November 24th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Samford. They can throw it a bit. If KSU gets by them I dont see getting by JSU as JSU is very strong vs the run. Wouldnt be a good matchup Imo.

jsualumnus
November 24th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I originally thought Kennesaw State, but now have to say Furman.

ElCid
November 24th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Pretty good article about the "other" teams.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/so-if-it-s-not-james-madison-or-north-dakota-state-112417

Professor Chaos
November 26th, 2017, 10:42 AM
https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bartolo-colon.gif

TheKingpin28
November 26th, 2017, 10:54 AM
https://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/bartolo-colon.gif

xlmaox

Birdman_
November 26th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Excited to watch the San Diego/NDSU matchup. NDSU should handle, but interesting nonetheless.

Professor Chaos
December 10th, 2017, 07:28 AM
Well, no unseeded team made the semis this year much less Frisco.

Whoever had Weber St come up and accept your prize (a virtual fist bump). Kennesaw St was a close 2nd so virtual pat on the back for any that picked them.

I suppose UNH could be in there too but I'm still not completely convinced they actually played in the quarterfinals (props for handing UCA their only FCS loss of the year though).

Daytripper
December 10th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Well, no unseeded team made the semis this year much less Frisco.

Whoever had Weber St come up and accept your prize (a virtual fist bump). Kennesaw St was a close 2nd so virtual pat on the back for any that picked them.

I suppose UNH could be in there too but I'm still not completely convinced they actually played in the quarterfinals (props for handing UCA their only FCS loss of the year though).

I'm convinced UCA's loss had a lot to do with their HC having checked out. Playoffs require everybody completely focused.

katss07
December 10th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I had Kennesaw, so not too bad.

Haha, all these people who picked USD. That didn’t hold up. “All these nonsense Softland teams”

Schism55
December 10th, 2017, 12:39 PM
I had Kennesaw, so not too bad.

Haha, all these people who picked USD. That didn’t hold up. “All these nonsense Softland teams”
Nicholls and UCA hosted and won exactly how many playoff games?

ElCid
December 10th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I'm convinced UCA's loss had a lot to do with their HC having checked out. Playoffs require everybody completely focused.

To me that was the biggest surprise. More so than San Diego or KSU's games. Just did not see that one coming at all.

katss07
December 10th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Nicholls and UCA hosted and won exactly how many playoff games?
How many conferences have teams in the semis?

katss07
December 10th, 2017, 01:00 PM
To me that was the biggest surprise. More so than San Diego or KSU's games. Just did not see that one coming at all.
I agree. UCA was the disappointment of the year. They had a very real opportunity to host until the semis and could have made a run at a titile. After finally breaking through and beating SHSU, they used their opportunity in the playoffs to lose to UNH. A mediocre UNH team. They won’t be this good next year. Very disappointing.

ElCid
December 10th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I agree. UCA was the disappointment of the year. They had a very real opportunity to host until the semis and could have made a run at a titile. After finally breaking through and beating SHSU, they used their opportunity in the playoffs to lose to UNH. A mediocre UNH team. They won’t be this good next year. Very disappointing.

Graduation loses, new coach? Why so down on them?