PDA

View Full Version : RMU's Banaszak out at RMU

Original_RMC
November 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM
per footballscoop.com:

Robert Morris (FCS – PA): Per source, head coach John Banaszak has resigned. Banaszak led the program for four seasons and compiled an overall mark of 8-34, including a 2-9 finish this year.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2017, 12:12 PM
What happened? Banaszak took Joe's program, which had some success, and saw them go right to the cellar. Banaszak, a former Steeler, also was Joe's longtime assistant, if I remember right.

aceinthehole
November 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Too bad. He seemed like a classy guy, but he just couldn't seem to get it to work out at Moon Township. I think RMU needs to go young (like basketball coach Andy Toole) with their next head coach. I think it is time to turn the page from the senior citizens they have had lead the program from a startup on day 1. Fresh, young, energetic blood could turn that program around in just 1 season.

Also, I don't know how much this has an effect of RMU and its recruiting, but Duquesne and Saint Francis has really stepped it up. The transformation of the program in Lorretto is amazing considering almost everyone who follows FCS thought it was impossible. And DU has always been a solid programs from the MAAC days. The NEC Western Pennsylvania teams were always tough for the rest of the league, but it may be too much to ask to have all 3 teams be contenders at the same time.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 20th, 2017, 02:08 PM
This doesn't surprise me. I've been wondering about Robert Morris the last few years. They had things going then completely fell off the cliff. Duquesne is definitely the dominant NEC team in Pittsburgh. Even so, there's a ton of high school talent in Western PA and Eastern Ohio.

RedFlash
November 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I'll be curious to see who emerges as potential candidates. There are some really good D-2 coaches in the PSAC (namely at Slippery Rock and IUP) but the problem with trying to lure those guys is that since they are part of the state university system, the pension and benefits they receive have to be factored into the equation.

There are some good D-III coaches in the area. My pick would be W&J's Mike Sirianni. A Mt. Union grad, he's been at W&J for 15 years with a career record of 128-30. Scott Benzel of Westminster is another name I've heard. He's coached at both Duquesne and StFU in the past, so he'd have familiarity with the league.

I'd be surprised if they went the OC/DC route but there are a few locally who would intrigue me: Duquesne's OC Anthony Doria or StFU's DC Marco Pecora. Doria's done a really nice job with Duquesne's QB's over the years. Pecora is young, but he is absolutely loved by his players and has done an excellent job in his two years as defensive coordinator.

RedFlash
November 22nd, 2017, 09:40 AM
I thought I would pass along this piece of speculation for my RMU friends. A friend of mine, who has some contacts in the college coaching profession, said to not rule out Greg Gattuso as a possible hire for RMU - especially if RMU is serious about trying to upgrade their overall sports programs and willing to pay the right price.

Gattuso was born and raised in Pittsburgh and will turn 56 in the spring, so maybe he would be interested in returning to the Pittsburgh area to close out his coaching career. He'd be an outstanding hire for the program and would have no problem recruiting the area.

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2017, 02:03 PM
I thought I would pass along this piece of speculation for my RMU friends. A friend of mine, who has some contacts in the college coaching profession, said to not rule out Greg Gattuso as a possible hire for RMU - especially if RMU is serious about trying to upgrade their overall sports programs and willing to pay the right price.

Gattuso was born and raised in Pittsburgh and will turn 56 in the spring, so maybe he would be interested in returning to the Pittsburgh area to close out his coaching career. He'd be an outstanding hire for the program and would have no problem recruiting the area.

Did Albany fire him? Why would he leaving a CAA job for one in the NEC?

I know Dane fans aren't happy with his performance and feel he has underachieved at Albany, so what is his contract status?

RedFlash
November 22nd, 2017, 02:21 PM
Did Albany fire him? Why would he leaving a CAA job for one in the NEC?

No, it was just speculation that he might be interested in a job in his home town that's all. I think he just wrapped up his 4th year of a five year deal that pays him $260K per year. I realize it's a step (or three) down from the CAA and that RMU would have to come up with some cash, but I thought the appeal of coaching back in his home town might be a draw to him.

aceinthehole
November 22nd, 2017, 02:27 PM
I'm sure if you asked UA fans, most would probable say let him out of his 5th year.

RedFlash
November 22nd, 2017, 02:53 PM
I think he's three games under .500 in his 4 years with two winning seasons. Nothing spectacular, so you might be right.